PDA

View Full Version : Attractions in Montreal and Quebec City area

Kabir
October 27, 2007, 10:27 AM
We're planning to go there end of November Inshallah. Even after staying here for over 6 years, I don't know much about Montreal or Quebec City.

We're coming from Toronto, and want to visit different places, different cities, for a total of about 5 to 7 days. We can change hotels and check-in in different cities' hotels, but we need to plan everything out depending on where we need to go.

So any suggestions for places to see in Montreal and Quebec City and other surrounding areas? I don't want museum and those crap. I want places...like Mont Tremblant and those types. Or may be decent restaurants, or clubs where a young couple can go.

Your suggestions please :)

PS: Is HotWire the best for finding cheap hotel rates?

Nafis_BD
October 27, 2007, 10:34 AM
Hey I am also going to Quebec end of November from my school but is 500,600,700, etc worth it for a week in Quebec?

If I go I might meet you guys somewhere.

Kabir
October 27, 2007, 10:37 AM
Inshallah, see you there Nafis :)

I think if it's from school, you should always visit these places. I wasn't among the lucky ones to have a trip of that sort from my school. Phokruddin amaderke Kolkata niye jabe bolsio, but his promises are always BIG LIES.

Nafis_BD
October 27, 2007, 10:46 AM
I will try but the thing is my older friends are like it is not worth it as the activities and stuff there are really stupid and the services are bad too so I am thinking if it is worth it to spend around 400, 500 dollars to go there with bad service and all.

Anyways here is a website I found that might help you but I never tried this website so not sure if it would help you 100% or even 90 % of what you are looking for.Good Luck!

Kabir
October 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
Url?

Nafis_BD
October 27, 2007, 10:59 AM
Oh yes the url. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g155032-Activities-Montreal_Quebec.html) hehe type kore url bhuley gesi!!

ialbd
October 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
schwartz's smoked meat - montreal downtown. go for the fatty meat. Oh shokal shokal nasta na khaia eishob golpo......

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

Kabir
October 27, 2007, 12:02 PM
Has anyone been to this place before? www.valinouet.qc.ca

Their site seems to give everything in French, and I don't know French :(

Thanks ialbd: That's one place I wanna visit now :)
Are those spices really one-of-a-kind like Popeyes cajun recipe?

Nafis_BD
October 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
Kabir bhaiya it's in English now: http://www.valinouet.qc.ca/PageDefault.aspx?page=English (http://www.valinouet.qc.ca/PageDefault.aspx?page=English)

Didi the one I gave you help?

Kabir
October 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
Yes bro, it helped :)

Mont Tremblant is a beauty http://www.destination360.com/north-america/canada/mont-tremblant.php

ammark
October 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
Maharaja restaurant for the lunch buffet. The waiters and owner is Bangladeshi. November is when I went. Montreal is a really charming city... at least to me it was. make sure you're ready for the cold pin-pin'a rain.

AsifTheManRahman
October 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
St. Catherine street.

Zobair
October 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
Also check out:

1. Mont Royal.
2. Old Port

ialbd
October 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
Also check out:

1. Mont Royal.
2. Old Port

oh yes, mont royal (forgot to mention). definitely a great place to visit. You can see the whole montreal from the hill top. Excellent panoramic view.....

ammark
October 28, 2007, 08:23 AM
oh yes, mont royal (forgot to mention). definitely a great place to visit. You can see the whole montreal from the hill top. Excellent panoramic view.....

Or climb up on to the backside stands of the McGill stadium great view from the top! :D

Go along Cote d'Neige good way to see the different parts of the city. Also head towards the Formula 1 circuit. Not much to do there, but the park is pretty cool.

Zobair
October 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
St. Helene Island? Great place for picnics in the summer time.

...Also head towards the Formula 1 circuit. Not much to do there, but the park is pretty cool.

ammark
October 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
St. Helene Island? Great place for picnics in the summer time.

Yes. The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve :)

Mahmood
October 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
Make sure you are in Montreal over the weekend and spend the weekend (Friday night and Saturday night) with me, my place, cancel your hotel reservation.

Make list of what you want to see in Montreal, With you, I will get to see Montreal from the tourist's eye for the first time.

Finally we will meet, Inshallah!

Zobair
October 28, 2007, 04:20 PM
Kabir, if I were you I would take up Raana bhai's offer. You will have an awesome time, guaranteed! :)

Make sure you are in Montreal over the weekend and spend the weekend (Friday night and Saturday night) with me, my place, cancel your hotel reservation.

Make list of what you want to see in Montreal, With you, I will get to see Montreal from the tourist's eye for the first time.

Kabir
October 29, 2007, 12:38 AM

Many many thanks for the invitation Mahmood bhai. My wife got excited seeing your invitation :)

Inshallah a friend and his wife will be travelling with me (as planned today), so it won't be appropriate to stay over at your place, or even to bring him over to your place. But Inshallah, if I'm in Montreal, we'll meet and have dinner together one day (possibly Saturday, I'll let you know the date). Can't miss bhabi's biryani this time :)

I'll PM you soon after finalizing the plan.

And thanks for the suggestions everyone, they're awsum. Keep posting some more.

Mahmood
October 29, 2007, 08:53 AM
Kabir, if I were you I would take up Raana bhai's offer. You will have an awesome time, guaranteed! :)

You know, we are still waiting for you to visit Montreal...

Mahmood
October 29, 2007, 08:54 AM
Many many thanks for the invitation Mahmood bhai. My wife got excited seeing your invitation :)

Inshallah a friend and his wife will be travelling with me (as planned today), so it won't be appropriate to stay over at your place, or even to bring him over to your place. But Inshallah, if I'm in Montreal, we'll meet and have dinner together one day (possibly Saturday, I'll let you know the date). Can't miss bhabi's biryani this time :)

I'll PM you soon after finalizing the plan.

And thanks for the suggestions everyone, they're awsum. Keep posting some more.

I have plenty of rooms, your friend is welcome too...as long as one couple flooring e apotti nai.

ialbd
October 29, 2007, 09:40 AM
yea, we still have the visit to mahmoods bhai's due from the last WC, hopefully it will be sooner than the next WC.......

very very tempting deal.... next Canada reunion mone hoy Montreal e korte hobe....

Ajfar
October 30, 2007, 05:26 PM
this thread title reminds me of that stupid kabir's bakery ad on bangla channel...it goes of like this

New York er sobcheye purano shohor bronx, bronx er main akorshon bronx zoo, yankee stadium ar bronx er notun akorshon kabir's bakery....

Kabir
October 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
:lol:
Montreal er ashol akorshon Downtown Montreal. Montreal er notun akorshon, Mahmood bhai er bashay bhabir hather biryani!!!

But bhaijan, the word "stupid" followed by "Kabir" really disappointed me...dukho pelam khub :(

Nafis_BD
October 30, 2007, 09:59 PM
Make sure you take a lot of pics and share them with us. I could a tleast look at the pics since I will not be going there. 400 bucks for 4 days in a college dorm does not seem worth it.

Bancan
October 30, 2007, 11:00 PM
Nafis i suggest you go. In my high school years, the music department went down to the states every year . The trips were expensive. But it sure was worth it. The memories with your friends are awesome.

Kabir
October 30, 2007, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear that Nafis bhaiya. But if you're able to go, do go and spend the time. I'm sure you'll have fun. However, if there's something to do with financial difficulties and all, then use your best judgment :)

Inshallah will see you there if we happen to be in Montreal at the same time.

Tigers_eye
October 31, 2007, 11:30 AM
high school escursions are the best times. On top, if girl deprived cadets get to have a week escursion with another girls college. ;)

Nasif, did I ever tell you, some guys have all the luck?

Nafis_BD,
Try your best to make it. If not start planning for next year from now and save money.

Nafis_BD
October 31, 2007, 09:41 PM
The budget is not a problem, I could easily work in my school to get some extra moneys and have the full amount but the problem is staying over at a college dorm with all stupid activities doesn't seem worth it after all the hard work to get the money. Even with that I might have went if my friends came too but none of my friends are coming so I don't want to go there either.

Kabir bhaiya, if I do end up going to montreal or Quebec I will make sure I meet you guys.

ammark
November 1, 2007, 05:47 AM
The budget is not a problem, I could easily work in my school to get some extra moneys and have the full amount but the problem is staying over at a college dorm with all stupid activities doesn't seem worth it after all the hard work to get the money. Even with that I might have went if my friends came too but none of my friends are coming so I don't want to go there either.

Kabir bhaiya, if I do end up going to montreal or Quebec I will make sure I meet you guys.

Nafis Bhaiya, I would still HIGHLY recommend that you go. Its not just about going with friends, or doing what you perceive as silly activities. Its going to be a different experience, and something that will broaden your horizons, perspectives and perceptions at least a little. since its organised by your school you'll be taken care of well, dont worry. If there are problems you have, you will have counselors and teachers you can go to for help.

Ajfar
November 1, 2007, 09:51 PM
:lol:
Montreal er ashol akorshon Downtown Montreal. Montreal er notun akorshon, Mahmood bhai er bashay bhabir hather biryani!!!

But bhaijan, the word "stupid" followed by "Kabir" really disappointed me...dukho pelam khub :(

Ostad maaf koira dienn...bhul hoia gechiloo

stupid activities...they ain't that badd..u dn't hav to get yourself involvedd..sometimess it getss pretty interestingg..

Kabir
December 2, 2007, 05:46 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting Mahmood bhai, and having the world's BEST biryani cooked by bhabi, and the world'st BEST borhani prepared by Mahmood bhai. Whoever goes to Montreal, this should be your first priority...highly recommended.

Sorry Ishtiaque, couldn't try that food place you recommended. I was inside that place too...and it was PACKED. So we had to get going.

If anyone's planning to go to Montreal, do go to "The birth place of Montreal"...this is the only city in the world which knows exactly where its birthplace is. It's time well spent inside this place...do watch the show...mindblowing. Also, visit the church on top of Mont Royal. Drive around old Montreal, their downtown...nice area. Driving is rough...so be careful.

When you to go Quebec, spend at least 5 to 7 days there. Start with the Observatorie...on top of a 31 storeyed building on top of the high land. It gives you the best introduction to Quebec. If it's a group of people going there, make sure you stay one night at the Chateau, the focal point of this city. I mentioned group of people since it may not be possible for most of us to stay there if it's only one person going there. I didn't stay there either...too expensive. It's a 300+ years old castle...turned into a luxurious hotel. Go in summer, and get lost in Old Quebec...you'll be glad that you're lost. And once you're hungry, go to any restaurant and treat yourself with some of the best food you can get...all European style. Food in Quebec is pretty cheap. Don't be surprised if you see NO desis, and NO chinese. We were the only 4 desis in the city...it felt like. Don't miss the Aquarium...next to St. Lawrence river...keep one day for this only.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. It was a superb trip...I guess I deserved something good after no vacations in the past 4 years. Thanks to my wife for arranging it all :)