PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on First Test - BD vs Eng

crazyisland
October 17, 2003, 12:09 PM
Now that the Bangladesh Squad has been announced what you think the link up would be for the first test.

I think they should have waited one more day so BD A team players don't get distracted. Javed Omar will play lot more relaxly though.

I don't Nafis will be dissappointed since he is the captain of Under 19 team. I think Nafis will be brought back for ODIs if schedule permits.

I have seen only few pictures of Aftab's shots. I think this generation batsmen are Tendulkar class. All Aftab, Nafis, Rajin.

I think Enamul Jr. should play the first test but don't know who will sit though. I think he should play at least for phychological reason. He will be able to put mental pressure on English batsmen since they couldn't play him well last time.

Bangladesh squad: Khaled Mahmood (capt), Javed Omar, Rajin Saleh, Aftab Ahmed, Hannan Sarkar, Mushfiqur Rahmar, Habibul Bashar, Alok Kapali, Mohammad Rafique, Tapash Baisya, Khaled Mashud (wkt), Mashrafe Mortzaza, Enamul Haque Jr.

My batting line up is -

Hannan Sarkar
Javed Omar
Bashar
Rajin Saleh
Aftab
Kapali
Mashud
Mahmud
Tapash
Rafique
Mashrafe Mortzaza

What are your thoughts???

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 12:12 PM
Oops we were thinking the same thing at the same time. I started it in another thread. This is what I wrote:

If he is not playing whats the point of keeping him off the under 19 team and making that team considerably weaker. There is no reason to make him the 12th man here.

Props to the selector for keeping him over Fahim. Pragmatic.

Wouldn't you say Enamul over Taposh is a good option? Enamul has rattled England as much as Nafees. May be even more. Taposh always seem to take the first wicket in almost every game he plays though. A disciplined lineup makes Shujon's bowling totally useless. I would take either one over Shujon any day. But thats not going to happen.

crazyisland
October 17, 2003, 12:17 PM
I have a feeling that they will play Jr. But who would sit though?
only player I can think of is Mahmud.

But that's not gonna happen.

crazyisland
October 17, 2003, 12:20 PM
On the second thought I think Musfiq and Omar will sit if he can't perform a good score today.

Omar / Sharkar / Aftab will fight for a place I think. 2 of 3 will get a chance.

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 12:28 PM
Gullu plays even if hits a golla today. He always comes out of slumps swinging.

I have an idea. Lets make Khaled Mahmud the 12th man. That way he can control the fielding and all that. Shap o morlo na lathi-o bhanglo na. (Just kidding. Its probably out of cricket culture.)

oracle
October 17, 2003, 12:38 PM
I really hope to see Tapash and Talha bowl together. We need to start thinking about laying a foundation for a pace attack.
And what's this with Masri right at the end. He needs to show his six hitting ability a bit earlier?;)

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 12:43 PM
If Enamul had played in the BD-A instead of the current under-performing spinners and performed like the first game, England would have scored at least 100 runs less.

Not letting him play in the test is :

OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!

Optimist
October 17, 2003, 01:02 PM
Is not Enamul a left-arm orthodox? If he is, then I don't think he is playing alongside Rafique. But if he is not then we should sabotage Mahmud (sleeping pill overdose or stomach-upset)

Optimist
October 17, 2003, 01:05 PM
Goolla is in the team even if he score nothing in this match. But Aftab will be under pressure to perform. That is a good thing --- the more he plays under pressure the better.

crazyisland
October 17, 2003, 01:23 PM
All I care is that we play like we ready to leave our past behind and now we are as good as any test team.

I hope the seniors will play like a rolemodel for the new comers.

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 01:23 PM
Farooq mentioned in the interview at bangladesherkhela that although Rafiq and Enamul are both left are spinners, they are totally diffent types of bowlers.

Its great that he mentioned that in the interview. It indicates that they are probably thinking seriously about putting them together and really confuse the hell out of the English batsmen.:)

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by pagol-chagol]

Optimist
October 17, 2003, 01:37 PM
If Enamul is a left-arm chinaman then it's really great. But if he is orthodox and Farooq's assessment is based on the fact is that Rafique mainly depends on his arm-ball for his wickets and Enamul (like his name sake sr.) depends on turn and flight then I don't think it's a big difference. Anyway, the big question will be ..... whon will Enamul replace. Taposh? no way! If Masrafee opens with Mahmud then England will gain a psychological boost even before the game. You need a few early wickets for the spinners to be effective. Masrafee, Taposh, Rafique, Mahmood, Alok, rajin will form a much balanced attack then Masrafee, Mahmud, Enamul, Rafique, Alok Rajin. I wish we can replace Mahmud

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by Optimist]

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 02:00 PM
Since Aftab will go to Pakistan after the first test (very hectic schedule for him) it can almost surely be concluded that he is playing in the first game. They would not take him out for nothing.

Since Enamul was taken out of the under 19 team which must have made that team considerably weaker, its certain that the selectors have some big plans with him. The fact that Farooq specifically tried to make the point that Enamul is a different type of bowler than Rafiq, only makes that argument stronger.

Ask the England team : "Out of the 2 teams you have played, tell us one player you would not want to see play in the tests". My vote would have been "ENAMUL".

I agree with everything you said "Optimist". At what point do we said enough is enough with SHUJON. At what point... (I know its coming at most sometime by the end of the Zimbabwe tour)

Mahmood
October 17, 2003, 02:33 PM
Ok, make one thing certain, these 2 are still going to the U-19 tour. Unless one does superb in the first test.

So they really do not have to play either. But, Aftab will play since we need a 6th batsman.

I don't think Enamul will play unless at the last moment, they discover, the pitch is not bouncy as requested and spin will work. Then we will see taposh sit while enamul will go ahead.

I love the idea of making sujon the 12th man. That is an excellent idea. This way he can still lead the team, and does not have to perform.

Brilliant idea!

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by Rajputro]

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 02:45 PM
You know what, the idea might be too insulting to Shujon.

He will surely be some kind of top boss of BD team someday though.

rafiq
October 17, 2003, 02:45 PM
I'd like to see 3 things on Day 3 of the current match:

- Golla score some runs
- Aftab bat
- Rajin spin

If Rajin, Alok, Rafique are sufficient, take Aftab because we need to bat for more than a day in both innings. On the other hand, especially if it is a spinning track, enamul could be a match winner/saver. Big gamble.

Easiest thing to do is just take Mushfiq, I've changed my mind.;)

Mahmood
October 17, 2003, 02:55 PM
Ittefaq reports, Faruk also said, these 2 will go Pakistan after the first test. This team is for first test only. And, they will probably replace Aftab with Moniruzzaman for second test.

crazyisland
October 17, 2003, 03:00 PM
Then Afteb leaves after 1st test who will fill in for middle order slot?

crazyisland
October 17, 2003, 03:02 PM
One more thing...
I have not seen either Nasif or Aftab playing so I can't judge how they are. If anyone on the board know more about their them or have seen both who do you think is better in terms of style, skill and potential?

Mahmood
October 17, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
Ittefaq reports, Faruk also said, these 2 will go Pakistan after the first test. This team is for first test only. And, they will probably replace Aftab with Moniruzzaman for second test.

The last line answers your question.

Sham
October 17, 2003, 03:29 PM
I don't think Enamul in Rafiq is a great combination. I am just afraid that England will get used to the left-armers and then neither will be too effective. Instead, we should use Kapali and Rajin more as spinners and leave Rafiq to do the left-arm stuff.

Aftab should definitely play, and if he does well, he should retain his place for the second Test. I feel bad for Moniruzzaman, but thats the way it should be. Had Moniruzzaman already been in the team, established his place, and then got injured, Aftab could be a replacement for one Test. But if Aftab makes it in before him and does well enough to retain his place, he definitely should!

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by Sham]

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 04:40 PM
Pardon my ignorance. But, why do you think that the English will get used to the two leg spinners (if used in tandem)?
Enam has a lot of turn in his ball which Rafiq doesn't. Rafiq has the guile. I think together they can be suffocating to the English defense. None of our other possible combinations could be as frustrating to the English defense as these two. (May be Mushfik and Shujon):lol:

billah
October 17, 2003, 06:06 PM
There are 2 things the England team does routinely before every series:
1. They will create an injury list of players. They will cry over it and will create an impression of a weaker than desired team. This phenomenon reaches it's peak during the Ashes. This way, they hide their initial wallops well against the enemy. And, if they perform poorly in the series, the face-saving excuses were already out there.

2. They will purposefully boost a bowler or two during the tour matches. Then, at the time of the real show, they will beat the poor guy like a drum.

Sorry, I am not trying to beat fwullah in pessimism, but, Enamul Jr., with virtually no track record, and non-exist top-level experience, may be our way of walking into the English trap.

Another thing, we all can clearly see the pressure is on Sujon. The captaincy, unfortunately, does not always depend on personal performance. Sure, you are to lead from the front, no question about that. However, the skipper has a more encompassing role of binding everyone together. Ganguly has become the most successful Indian captain in the midst of long spells of bad individual performances. Team India backed him wholeheartedly amidst strong appeal for removing him ( no comparison of individual performances between the two captains though). Is Sujon the glue that keeps the team coherant? Is he unbiased, supportive and a motivator in the field? If he is, then it is worth putting up with his mediocre performance. Ridley Jacobs (not skipper) of the West Indies is in the team for his excellent management skills. He helps the players bond, although he himself does not perform very well.

Back to Enamul, he made it in the top 13. If he makes it in the top 11, things will get pretty interesting. I most definitely would like to see Rafiq with him in the field, in case Jr. does not meet up to these huge new expectations ( I hope he does). With Rafique we will still have a spinner at hand with credible records.:)

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by billah]

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by billah]

Mahmood
October 17, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by billah
Is Sujon the glue that keeps the team coherant? Is he unbiased, supportive and a motivator in the field? If he is, then it is worth putting up with his mediocre performance.

In that case we better fire Sujon and bring back Bulbul who led us to 2 WC victories.

On a serious note, I do not think that is a good enough reason to keep Sujon. All we have to do is find someone with those qualities from the players who deserves to play in team.

BangladeshCricket
October 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
guyz Whatmore and others are in thinking process even Sujon and that's why they gave captancy to Rajin and Hannan for XI and A teams. But, it requires time what Sujon has is the motivation and power to coperate with players. Right now, very few players in bdesh team got that talent. We need to nurture that talent then i guess Sujon should step down to make rooms for youngters....right now i am even confused about six position batting, using two left arm spinners options and even using the right all rounder to play...let's hope for the best

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 08:43 PM
Nice post Billah. Funny too

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
Did you guys notice how dominating Hoggard has been?

Sham
October 17, 2003, 10:46 PM
Enamul and Rafiq arent leg spinners. They are left-arm orthodox bowlers. The ball may come as a leg spinners delivery to a right handed batsman, but there is a huge difference.

If they were both leg spinners, I wouldnt have much problem having them both in the same team. Leg spinners by the way they bowl can create a huge amount of variety. The googly, the flipper, the top-spinner are all a leg spinners variations. An off spinner only really has the arm ball to add to his typical delivery. Thats why two off-spinners dont make as much sense as two leggies.

When you think of left arm orthodox bowlers, you have to think of them as off-spinners more than leg-spinners.

However, I will refer you to my comments on another thread, can't remember which right now, but I said that the two left-arm leggies can do well together by doing different things. I think its in the thread titled is Jnr and Rafiq a good idea or a something like that.

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks Sham.

crazyisland
October 18, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by BangladeshCricket
guyz Whatmore and others are in thinking process even Sujon and that's why they gave captancy to Rajin and Hannan for XI and A teams. But, it requires time what Sujon has is the motivation and power to coperate with players. Right now, very few players in bdesh team got that talent. We need to nurture that talent then i guess Sujon should step down to make rooms for youngters....right now i am even confused about six position batting, using two left arm spinners options and even using the right all rounder to play...let's hope for the best

I agree. Leadership is not the only attribute for captaincy. It's only one part -- an important part though.