PDA

View Full Version : The Australian Elections

Hasib
November 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
Just came back from casting my vote ... Go Labor!!! Anyone else here who's voting? We really need to get rid of Howard..

Antora
November 23, 2007, 11:50 PM
well im to young to vote,
but if i did vote.. i would have voted for the Greens... there's really no difference between labour and liberal..and there is noo and i mean no way that i would vote for family first!
and we definately need to get rid of john coward *cough* howard! HE'S SUCH A PAIN!
but i want kevin 07 (lol) to be our pm.[..he came to my school!!! the other day]

Rabz
November 24, 2007, 12:53 AM
Ah...6 years i've lived to see this day.... but it came two months too late...
Go K-Rud!

Looks like Johny boy is outta office, finally.

James90
November 24, 2007, 02:47 AM
well im to young to vote,
but if i did vote.. i would have voted for the Greens... there's really no difference between labour and liberal..and there is noo and i mean no way that i would vote for family first!
and we definately need to get rid of john coward *cough* howard! HE'S SUCH A PAIN!
but i want kevin 07 (lol) to be our pm.[..he came to my school!!! the other day]
That's just stupid. If you actually have a decision on which likely option would be better then why would you vote for a third party? Boggles the mind.

Rabz
November 24, 2007, 06:41 AM
Looks like the long reign of Coalition ends.

Labour wins the election.

Kevin Rudd, the new pm of Aus.

Alien
November 24, 2007, 09:28 AM
Yep, Rudd won for sure. Hope he now takes care of the economy which his labor predecessors screwed up 12 years ago. Lefties usually don't have a clue how to take care of economy and always leave with billions in deficit.

And I hope he puts some decent bloke at immigration. Howard's idiot ministers made my PR harder to get than it already is.

Yameen
November 24, 2007, 04:26 PM
i dont really know whos who in aussie politics, but id like anyone other than that [] howard...

Antora
November 24, 2007, 04:52 PM
OMG kevin won!!!!!!!
i found it funny how howard lost his own seat!:lol:

Nocturnal
November 24, 2007, 04:58 PM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/917d414cf5.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Australia's Rudd leads Labor to election win
Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:49 PM EST140
By Rob Taylor

BRISBANE (Reuters) - Australia's Labor leader Kevin Rudd, a Mandarin speaking former diplomat, swept into power at a national election on Saturday on a wave of support for generational change, ending 11 years of conservative rule.

"Today Australia has looked to the future," Rudd, flanked by his wife Therese and family, told jubilant supporters. "I will be a prime minister for all Australians."

The surge to Labor left conservative Prime Minister John Howard struggling to win even his own parliamentary seat, which he has held since 1974, putting him in danger of becoming the first prime minister since 1929 to lose his constituency.
more read (http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-11-24T194900Z_01_L23381551_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-AUSTRALIA-ELECTION-COL.XML)

irteja
November 24, 2007, 09:24 PM
congratulation Kevin Rudd

sandpiper
November 24, 2007, 09:37 PM
OMG! Howard ruled for 11 years !!!

Alien
November 24, 2007, 09:49 PM
I hope he doesn't make Australia a province of China. :-D

MohammedC
November 24, 2007, 09:54 PM
Howard held his constituency since 1974. Thats a long time

mona
November 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
James you beauty.. you should be a voter!Next time hey!

Lucky lots of Greens-supporters did vote Labor otherwise we'd be stuck with Costello. The Greens are great but for a number of reasons they're not gonna make it into the house of reps anytime soon. So I voted them in the senate.

Labor is world's apart from Liberal in my opinion. At least on the stuff that really matters.

One thing I'm surprised (and annoyed about) is the number of ethnics that support the Coalition. Especially Indians. They get a high-earning job and Australian citizenship and suddenly they think they are top $hit and start worrying about the country's economy and national security and unionists as if they cared about it before. Then they pass that crap onto their kids and I have to deal with it at uni. Goddamn sellouts.

ammark
November 25, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hehe, Remember Howard was in Dhaka when we won the ICC Trophy in '97. I remember he was so impressed, he offered cricket scholarships to Aus then. Guy was a big cricket fan.

But Aus needed a change. For once it seems Aus got a good challenger to Howard.

Aritro
November 26, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hehe, Remember Howard was in Dhaka when we won the ICC Trophy in '97. I remember he was so impressed, he offered cricket scholarships to Aus then. Guy was a big cricket fan.

But Aus needed a change. For once it seems Aus got a good challenger to Howard.

That was a gentleman named Tim Fischer, whom was formerly leader of the National Party of Australia.

Moshin
November 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
Why do people hate Howard so much, he has changed the Australia for the past few years, the economy and everything, one negative was, the Iraq war, and I think its time for Australia to become an independent country, dont you think.

irteja
November 26, 2007, 07:18 PM
Why do people hate Howard so much, he has changed the Australia for the past few years, the economy and everything, one negative was, the Iraq war, and I think its time for Australia to become an independent country, dont you think.

i agree, but may be libarel think australia have to look afta the usa because if the japs or indonesia invade australia r screwed with out the usa, so they have to do wateva they want us to do.good points it may be negetive from your stand but the end of the day Howard think, they have to support the usa 100 % to ensure safety for all aussies from invasion, imposssible to be friends with japs after wars. ( plz this is my personal point of view)

James90
November 27, 2007, 02:44 AM
Environmentally, Howard is clueless. Costello stole from education for his first ten years of fiscal policy. It's only when people got a viable alternative that they decided to focus on education, reconciliation and offered tax cuts despite the fact that interest rates have gone up six times in the past....18 months? Our exchange rate is the highest it's been since Reagan was in power. Unfortunately wages can't just increase with no ramifications. Lets not hear any more drivel about unions putting upward pressure on inflation.

I'm so glad people have stopped voting with their wallets. I've genuinely have people ask, "since you're from a middle-upper class household, why do you support Labor when they represent families?". Show some tact ffs.

It's much more practical to improve the skills shortage, infrastructure and environment.

Hasib
November 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yay go Rudd :D

Mona..I know how you feel!!! I was hhaving an argument with Jaydeep the day before the election he was trying to convince Johnno to to vote liberal and i was saying labor so funny...just for the record johno voted liberal :S
Why do people hate Howard? Iraq war was not the only thing... the new IR laws benefiting businesses but hurting the common worker (with more harsher laws that were being planned to be introduced had he been returned to power!!), policies on immigration, supporting a racist political party ("one nation"...luckly those guys are now a dying party)raising university fees, making it difficult for new mums to get time off work... and also what James said above me....the list is big.

mona
November 29, 2007, 09:05 AM
Haha the notion of Indonesia or Japan wanting to invade Australia in the not too distant future is so ridiculous that I don't even have a counter-argument for it. Maybe we'll see it the day those countries get so over-populated that people start spilling into the sea.

James and Hasib are spot on. I don't understand the point of a strong economy when the only people who benefit are those who already earn more than enough money.

Can't remember the last time Howard did anything for the environment, education or health. It's always been about the economy and money and melodramatic actions like saving Indigenous kids or stopping refugees setting foot on our shores. Still, I feel kinda sorry for the guy - not the best way to go out.

Lol Hasib.. Jay was exactly the person who I had in mind. And every time we have an Indigenous case in tute, half the people are like 'they get sooo much money but they're still so bad with their health'. God that gets me angry. It's like they never stopped to think how they got that way in the first place. I have to say though, scientists and doctors aren't the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to politics. There are exceptions though :)