PDA

View Full Version : Taslima Nasreen

Bengaliprince176
November 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
i know their has already been a thread on her, so could the mods plz merge this, as i cant find it.

Recent Updates

She's caused a huge stir in India, particularly in WB and Kolkata espeically now her Visa has expired. The Muslims in Kolkata orgainsed a protest and set fire to many cars and beat up people in protest of the WB government for allowing her to stay. Noone was killed, as they were organised to protest without too much violence (??). Arms and explosives were found in one of the main mosques near one of my relatives houses, and once the army was called in and a curfew imposed, things finally settled down. Apprently these were ready against the police and the givernment if any protestors were shot, thankfully no one was hurt.

From what ive heard shes in Jaipur at the moment, but she has caused a huge problem in Kolkata, as a curfew had to be called for the first time since independence, though no communal riots had actually happened.

Fazal
November 29, 2007, 01:54 PM
Whats new?

You live by the sword ...you die by the sword ....

Taslima is now India's problem not ours. Now its our turn to just watch the Tamasha...

Murad
November 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
This nastik woman will never find peace in her life again.

Allah er sathe jei napormani korbe shei kokhono shanti pabe na. Allah taake sashti ditei thakbe.

billah
November 29, 2007, 06:42 PM
Sins of India's past BJP government and of the West Bengal commies come full circle. Taslima is a poor writer at best. They gave her a bunch of bogus award in an effort to give us a black eye. This is indeed the irony of doing things with evil intentions. It will come right back and bite you in the a$$.

rupantor
November 29, 2007, 07:28 PM
Here is a heated interview with Taslima Nasrin, possibly taken in India:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_cT8OIkpxs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_cT8OIkpxs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Alien
November 29, 2007, 07:58 PM
Her speaking skills or whatever you call it sucks, just like her writing skills.

Hatebreed
November 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
It seems the reason she really wants to eradicate religion from society is so she can sleep around with 10 men. I'm surprised she even thinks she would be accepted in India when she has no respect whatsoever for any faith.

AsifTheManRahman
November 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
Come on now guys, let's go easy on Orpheus' girlfriend.

Ajfar
November 29, 2007, 10:19 PM
my mom hatess that ladyy...

Alien
November 29, 2007, 10:19 PM
There was another news a week ago that some BJP leader wanted to adopt her as daughter.
Source (http://www.topnews.in/former-mp-offers-adopt-taslima-nasreen-his-daughter-27323)

I'm surprised she even thinks she would be accepted in India when she has no respect whatsoever for any faith.

She admits she has issues with all religion but there is only one religion that she goes hard on and that's Islam. She collectively denounces all of them but singles out Islam when it comes to refining her criticism. Else she would have created fire storm in India had she gone after hindus.

Hatebreed
November 29, 2007, 10:49 PM
There was another news a week ago that some BJP leader wanted to adopt her as daughter.
Source (http://www.topnews.in/former-mp-offers-adopt-taslima-nasreen-his-daughter-27323)

She admits she has issues with all religion but there is only one religion that she goes hard on and that's Islam. She collectively denounces all of them but singles out Islam when it comes to refining her criticism. Else she would have created fire storm in India had she gone after hindus.

She's obviously a hypocrite. I wouldn't be surprised if some fundementalists are using her to propagate hatred in Muslims. I just hope the decent people in India see her for what a lying snake she is and throw her a$$ out.

sufism
November 30, 2007, 12:41 AM
She is just a pathetic attention seeker. however, some early writings did have some message. but obviously she ran out of ideas to write about. so it occured to her that the best way to get attention from the west is to attack islam and write ever comes to her mind. Being athiest is not a problem at all in BD. there are other athiest writers like Zafor Iqbal and few others who are highly respected. if you storngly believe Islam is an evil religion then you should prove it with proper logic and scintific explaination rather then talk rubbish about the faith of the majority. Just look at her Interview you could see how much she knows about islam. If you want to criticise a view you should at least know it preaches.

Alien
November 30, 2007, 01:00 AM
There goes a common saying, play with fire and sooner or later you'll get burnt.

rubel_18
November 30, 2007, 06:52 AM
This woman is so stupid she writes things in her book but she cant seem to rightly justify those points in the interview. Stupid Attention Seeker

rupantor
November 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
We are solely responsible for making the Taslima that she is today.
She wants people to get irritated, lose cool, jump around, shout and make chaos.
The more you get irritated, jump around and keep shouting- the more money she makes.
The more chaos we make, the more books she sells irrespective of the quality.

Sometimes the "skill to ignore" can become a lethal weapon.
If we had ignored her since the beginning, she would have made a living just as an ill-tempered doctor writing prescription for diarrhea somewhere in Mymenshing today.

Bengaliprince176
November 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
She wants people to get irritated, lose cool, jump around, shout and make chaos.
The more you get irritated, jump around and keep shouting- the more money she makes.
The more chaos we make, they more books she sells irrespective of the quality.

Sometimes the "skill to ignore" can become a lethal weapon.
If we had ignored her since the beginning, she would have made a living just as an ill-tempered doctor writing prescription for diarrhea somewhere in Mymenshing today.

:lol: i liked that last bit bruv!! can the mods plz merge this thread, as im still a little unsure what she has written and why she's pissed off so many people.

Fazal
November 30, 2007, 01:08 PM

Who me?
Couldn't be.
Then who?
Bengaliprince176 stole the cookie from the ....

tonoy
November 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
may peace be upon her. Lets just hope one day she will see the wrongs she has done.

Sovik
November 30, 2007, 07:03 PM
its the attention that she really wanted

HereWeGo
November 30, 2007, 07:55 PM
Whats new?

You live by the sword ...you die by the sword ....

Taslima is now India's problem not ours. Now its our turn to just watch the Tamasha...

Cant agree bro. She was born in Bangladesh and also the rightful citizen of bangladesh by birth...definately our problem.

Secondly Islam is a great religion, a religion that asks people to be tolerant of others views.

Her views of Islam are extremely radical but so are the views of countless other people in our world. I know a lot of you are residents of States and Australia. There they have people with more radical views, if we can tolerate them than y cant we tolerate her.

Thirdly she was successful in her motive which was to gain atention. I mean this is a trend of lot of below par writers to seek attention by fuming the fundamentalists. This is how Mr Rushdie sold his books.

Our intolerance provides a dim view abt Bangladesh to the wider world. I like to believe that we are a moderate muslim country. Slowly I am being proved wrong.

Lastly recently Christopher Hitchens published a book called "God is not great" Over there he writes a lot of things against three most popular religion (islam Christianity and Jew). However i don see any church protesting and advertising for his work as a result. Or throwing him out of US. Just sad what happened with her in Bangladesh. She deserves to be punished by the court of law (which she was) and may be on the day of judgement ( to be decided by the allmighty), But not scared out bangladesh by some religious extremist. Don expect u guys to support that either.

Anher
December 1, 2007, 04:32 AM
She is just a **** writer for psycho minded scum ...seeking attention by attacking heart's and mind of people follow religion specially islam. She is bangladeshi unfortunately. Bangladesh banned her books. She continue to write shitty language. She was warned. She continue to annoy. Bring her in. Hang. After few month's lafalafi of those **** reader and in dream taslima seeker continue to rely on regular **** book. Case closed.

Alien
December 1, 2007, 09:13 AM

Let me add to it, most anti-islamic writers are famous this way. Rushdie, this one, those Dutch freaks (forgot their names). Fan the fire more and it will burn and engulf more than it will when u didn't do it.

rupantor
December 1, 2007, 01:58 PM
Let me add to it, most anti-islamic writers are famous this way. Rushdie, this one, those Dutch freaks (forgot their names). Fan the fire more and it will burn and engulf more than it will when u didn't do it.

There are many anti-religion writers in the world.
But anti-Islamic writer are most famous because the Islamic religious groups lose their cool and create chaos far too quick. Most other religious groups have either the skill to ignore or other political ways to tackle these writers. So we, the Muslims, make anti-Islamic writer famous and thus are the dumbest among the religious groups, I suppose.

Moshin
December 1, 2007, 04:47 PM
she shouldnt have said it in the first place, simple.

Alien
December 2, 2007, 06:57 AM
she shouldnt have said it in the first place, simple.

True, but we can't control her actions can we? Especially we can't control our own tempers.

Rabz
December 2, 2007, 07:23 AM
Ah...just when i almost forgot about her...
she strikes back...

....who cares.....

cricket_pagol
December 2, 2007, 10:10 AM
Just saw the interview, she is quite pathetic. Her speaking qualities are below par... I don't understand why she is considered to be an intellectual.

Anher
December 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
Her interview shows how ignorent and funny speaker she is???LMFO

Bengaliprince176
December 2, 2007, 01:00 PM
lol for a literally spokeswoman she is shite!!! at the start....yes...yes...yes

al Furqaan
December 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
Just saw the interview, she is quite pathetic. Her speaking qualities are below par... I don't understand why she is considered to be an intellectual.

you could be a drunken idiot, and if you display enough islamphobic tendencies, its more than enough to get tagged as an "intellectual"

cricket_pagol
December 2, 2007, 04:15 PM
you could be a drunken idiot, and if you display enough islamphobic tendencies, its more than enough to get tagged as an "intellectual"

For a second, i thought you are calling me drunken idiot :)

al Furqaan
December 2, 2007, 04:44 PM
For a second, i thought you are calling me drunken idiot :)

yea i can see how that can happen...lol

Farhad
December 2, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have absolutely no idea who Taslima Nasreen is, and after reading the comments, I'm even more confused. Where the heck did **** writer come up? I looked up her article on Wikipedia, and It makes it seem like she was a poor innocent woman who was attacked by a bunch of fanatical Muslim groups for no reason. Anybody care to tell me the real story? Because I'm assuming theres a lot more to this than the article let on...

Orpheus
December 2, 2007, 09:17 PM
there is nothing to know about her really!

she has an interesting point that all religion were created by men to suppress women for their benefit. I think she can portray that message without attacking the sentiments of general people. But then, no one would read what she has to say.

A similar example to what she did: You don't like nationalism, there are two ways you can portray that:
1) Tell people we belong to the human race, so we should love people regardless of their nationality; nationality only creates division among men and can be used as a tool for the benefit of few.

2) Get a Bangladeshi Flag and BURN it on december 16.

She decided to do the latter.

But still I think that much is to be blamed on the Muslim world. Muslim world just have too many illiterates, poor and hungry people getting angry for whatever reason they can find. Recently, some british teacher in Sudan got into trouble because kids in her class decided to name a Teddy Bear Muhammad. I am pretty sure the problem is not so much with Islam but in the condition of people in sudan or in any other muslim countries.

I am embarrassed to say that people from Bangladesh wanted Nasrin's exile. She should be given the rights to write whatever the crap she wants. We need to be more tolerant.

If you start killing your own people because some nobody called "your prophet" a homo, then I think the problem is more with your fragile belief than anything else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now about the video:
It's funny how Taslima demands Indian government should give her citizenship. Why? lol. How is she being treated unfairly? Ei maiyar logic shunle amar kanna ashe and this moron is causing all the stir.. sad!

al Furqaan
December 2, 2007, 09:39 PM
I have absolutely no idea who Taslima Nasreen is, and after reading the comments, I'm even more confused. Where the heck did **** writer come up? I looked up her article on Wikipedia, and It makes it seem like she was a poor innocent woman who was attacked by a bunch of fanatical Muslim groups for no reason. Anybody care to tell me the real story? Because I'm assuming theres a lot more to this than the article let on...

well, the woman - and i use the term loosely - in question stated at some point that she wants to bone 10 guys or something along those lines. in other words, as an atheist, she is taking her beliefs to the logical conclusion that one should not have any moral restraint. so she is basically a slut. rather a wannabe slut because i don't know if there are 10 guys who would be willing to hit that rotten, disgusting 50 year old pudendum.

at any rate some of her novels are reputed to have her sexual fantasies in them, hence someone calling her a **** writer.

Orpheus
December 2, 2007, 09:49 PM
at any rate some of her novels are reputed to have her sexual fantasies in them, hence someone calling her a **** writer.

I might get edited for this but I swear to God I had an erection reading her book at teen. The only book of her I ever read.
Another author who turned me on was Humayun Ahmed, with his vivid description of 16 years old under the khaat :) ...(before anyone start calling chris hansen, I was 14 then). Miss those days.

AsifTheManRahman
December 2, 2007, 10:06 PM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=141919&postcount=36

Orpheus
December 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=141919&postcount=36

haha... wow! I forgot I posted that. Now I see your reference...on me and taslima..

how boring is my life that I had to tell a stupid story twice... wow!

al Furqaan
December 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
I might get edited for this but I swear to God I had an erection reading her book at teen. The only book of her I ever read.
Another author who turned me on was Humayun Ahmed, with his vivid description of 16 years old under the khaat :) ...(before anyone start calling chris hansen, I was 14 then). Miss those days.

well as a teen you could get a hard on from doing math homework, so that ain't sayin much...:saint:

btw, the last time i was in dhaka, i got so bored i read a danielle steele book...was disappointed in that i thought there would be way more freaking than there was. but to be honest, the story was not bad. nothing great, but held my attention for 400 pages which is tough to do...

Tehsin
December 3, 2007, 12:06 AM
Taslima Nasreen eh ? The right thing to do would have been to ignore her writing and no one would have known who she is. She had some message in her writing but the intention was UGLY and presentation was simply pukeworthy. If we left her books alone, they would have been rotting in the bookstores for a few weeks and then dumped in a garbage can eventually.

On the Sudan story. It is 'forcing' the all knowing (not to forget - holier then thou) talk show hosts in the US to question exactly how 'peace loving' and 'tolerant' Islam really is. Pisses me off but some of it is our own undoing. We do not have a single moderate Muslim leader in the world or ANY Muslim leadership that is interested in setting the tone for the rest of the muslim world. You know how they 'What would Jesus do', well, I would like for our leaders to come out and say 'What would Mohammad do' ? He wouldn't go out and yell 'Kill the infidels' or put a fatwa on some random individual for naming a teddy bear 'Mohammad'. Would he ? NO. If we claim to be TOLERANT (which Islam truly is), why the heck are we not practicing our own teachings ? (I blame most of the idiocy on the cultural heritage of some of these muslim countries but I'm just a joe shmoe posting in a message board, what do I know).

I was going to write an apology to anyone who got offended by my writing. However, if someone's that touchy, they would just prove my point. We really need to start practicing what we preach. Religion is great, it's the human factors that are destroying it.

mona
December 3, 2007, 03:29 AM
If we claim to be TOLERANT (which Islam truly is), why the heck are we not practicing our own teachings ?

Hear hear!

In reference to this video, I don't think anything she said was particularly inflammatory. To be fair, most of the time the interviewer didn't give her the type of questions upon which she could elaborate. But then again, maybe it was because he knew that to illicit a long answer in english from her would be very painful.
In any case, all she said was that she didn't want a patriarchal society and that she wanted women to know about their rights. Also that she didn't want islamic law and pointed out that women don't get equal inheritence to their brothers. All of which seem pretty tame to me.
And the sleeping with 10 men thing... I haven't read her autobiography or any of her books - but it sounded to me like she wasn't being literal. Seriously, who sleeps with 10 men. But good on her if she could haha. KIDDING. I think she was trying to say that a woman's chastity/honesty has nothing to do with her sexual behaviour, no matter how.. excessive.. it is. And if you look at it from a non-religious/modern point of view, she's completely right.

Alien
December 3, 2007, 07:29 AM
Speaking of inheritence, this article makes it very clear that its not "unfair" to women as TN makes it out.
Link (http://http://saif_w.tripod.com/explore/practical/quran_on_inheritance.htm)
Hear hear!

In reference to this video, I don't think anything she said was particularly inflammatory. To be fair, most of the time the interviewer didn't give her the type of questions upon which she could elaborate. But then again, maybe it was because he knew that to illicit a long answer in english from her would be very painful.
In any case, all she said was that she didn't want a patriarchal society and that she wanted women to know about their rights. Also that she didn't want islamic law and pointed out that women don't get equal inheritence to their brothers. All of which seem pretty tame to me.
And the sleeping with 10 men thing... I haven't read her autobiography or any of her books - but it sounded to me like she wasn't being literal. Seriously, who sleeps with 10 men. But good on her if she could haha. KIDDING. I think she was trying to say that a woman's chastity/honesty has nothing to do with her sexual behaviour, no matter how.. excessive.. it is. And if you look at it from a non-religious/modern point of view, she's completely right.

And that Islam and other religions "abuses" women, does that sound tame to you? Cos it really doesn't!

shaad
December 3, 2007, 11:42 PM
Taslima's essays were not that terrible. In contrast, I found her fiction and autobiography to be well, quite poor, filled as they were with inconsistent characterizations such as female protagonists switching instantaneously from victims to staunchly emancipated women, or male characters being portrayed as naive dimwits in one page and gleeful embodiments of knowingly evil patriarchy in the next. She also has a tendency to take potshots at certain male acquaintances, in some cases other writers and artists, often using sex and their reported attraction to her as weapons. Now, given that her writing often celebrates pre-marital and extra-marital sex in women, I find her use of that same device to attempt to shame some of her male acquaintances a little hypocritical.

That said, I must say I found several of the posts here quite disappointing, using derogatory terms to describe her, espousing views which seem to support censorship, or her exile, and in one case, even suggesting that she be hanged. I think it's quite possible to disagree with someone's opinions or critique them without stooping to that level of behaviour.

shaad
December 3, 2007, 11:53 PM
Speaking of inheritence, this article makes it very clear that its not "unfair" to women as TN makes it out.

Alien, you should edit that URL; it has an extra "http://" in it. The article (http://saif_w.tripod.com/explore/practical/quran_on_inheritance.htm) you point to assumes that women and men are inherently different in a manner that requires men to assume all economic burdens. Personally, and as a feminist, I find that notion itself "unfair"... towards men.

Orpheus
December 4, 2007, 01:20 AM
Personally, and as a feminist...
A Bangali feminist - isn't that an oxymoron?

I support everything Nasrin has to say, but she belongs in the kitchen. Period!

Anher
December 4, 2007, 01:44 AM
A Bangali feminist - isn't that an oxymoron?

LOL
[বাংলা] রান্নাঘর শোভা পায় রমনীর গুনে।[/বাংলা] is that what you meant????

PoorFan
December 4, 2007, 04:21 AM
<!--StartFragment -->To do what? cooking your food? are you sure? better keep her in your bedroom ... locked ... you might feel safe.:-p

shaad
December 4, 2007, 08:56 AM
[বাংলা]আহা Orphy, বুঝলে না। Bangali feminist না হলে তো তোমার গালর্ফ্রেণ্ড চাকরি করে খেটে খেটে তোমাকে financially support করতে পারবে না।[/বাংলা]:smug:

Kabir
December 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
<!--StartFragment -->To do what? cooking your food? are you sure? better keep her in your bedroom ... locked ... you might feel safe.:-p

Right, coz the closer she gets to the knife, the worse it could get for Orphy and his man****. :lol:

Anher
December 4, 2007, 10:48 AM
Right, coz the closer she gets to the knife, the worse it could get for Orphy and his man****. :lol:

Orphy bhai about to come...kabir bhai apnar kobor ache.

tonoy
December 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
[বাংলা]আহা Orphy, বুঝলে না। Bangali feminist না হলে তো তোমার গালর্ফ্রেণ্ড চাকরি করে খেটে খেটে তোমাকে financially support করতে পারবে না।[/বাংলা]:smug:

:lol:

Orpheus
December 4, 2007, 03:26 PM

haha! arrey bhai oita feminism na. Those are my earnings. I give her time and a sense of belonging - I should be paid for it be it in the form of food, money or a massage.

"love" is an universal currency. It can buy ANYTHING. So I use it to buy food and clothes - and occasionally illegal cricket stream....

I am glad you are a "reaping rewards" conscience feminist, for a moment I was afraid you lost your bangali identity there.. very smart! I bow down!

Jei race er men lungi pore, shei race kokhono women er kaache matha nichu korbe na!!
Taslima, tumi choddo kuti lungi domaiya rakhte parba na...amra tomake bhaate marbo, panite marbo.....

Ganguly da
December 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
wow...we have some fundamentalists amongst ourselves in BC...some of these responses are amazing...

Bengaliprince176
December 5, 2007, 04:44 AM
can sum1 please explain to me why Lajja has been censored??? it is a book about a Hindu family and the problems they encountered in BD 1992 after the destruction of the Babri Mosque, what has that got to do with her attacking Islam?? i admit she seems a strange writer...but if she is writing to show what has happened i.e THE TRUTH then why shud she be censored??

Orpheus
December 5, 2007, 04:49 AM
wow...we have some fundamentalists amongst ourselves in BC...some of these responses are amazing...

It's not anymore amazing than your response.

wrong `un
December 5, 2007, 06:36 AM
That said, I must say I found several of the posts here quite disappointing, using derogatory terms to describe her, espousing views which seem to support censorship, or her exile, and in one case, even suggesting that she be hanged. I think it's quite possible to disagree with someone's opinions or critique them without stooping to that level of behaviour.

Exactly.

She had a message which some may agree and some may not. She had a way of passing the message which may not have been the ideal way. But talking about hanging and stuff like that is quite extreme.

cricket_dorshok
December 5, 2007, 09:55 AM
Arundhaty Roy speaks about Taslima.

Karan Thapar: Arundhati Roy, let me start with that question. How do you respond to the way Taslima Nasreen has been treated for almost 14 days now?
Arundhati Roy: Well, it is actually almost 14 years but right now it is only 14 days and I respond with dismay but not surprise because I see it as a part of a larger script where everybody is saying their lines and exchanging parts.

full interview (http://www.ibnlive.com/news/if-treated-like-taslima-id-give-up-writing/53464-3.html)

Kabir
December 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
Bujhlam na.

cricket_dorshok
December 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
Bujhlam na.
ki bujlen na, tai to bujlam na!

One World
March 22, 2008, 11:41 AM
Just found this news in e-mela.

Indian govt forced Bangladesh writer to leave India: publisher

Submitted by editor on Sat, 22/03/2008 - 3:57am.
in <LI class="first taxonomy_term_225">india (http://www.e-mela.com/category/tags/india) <LI class=taxonomy_term_99>Literature (http://www.e-mela.com/category/storyarticle-category) <LI class=taxonomy_term_851>Taslima Nasrin (http://www.e-mela.com/category/tags/taslima-nasrin)
Writer (http://www.e-mela.com/category/tags/writer)
http://www.e-mela.com/files/images/taslima_nasreen02.preview.jpg (http://www.e-mela.com/content/taslima-nasrin-wearing-sari)
NEW DELHI (AFP) — Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen's publisher andsupporters accused the Indian government on Thursday of forcing the writer out of the country because of fears of a Muslim backlash. Nasreen left mainly Hindu but officially secular India on Wednesday after accusing the Indian government of forcing her to quit the country.
"The government is no better than religious fundamentalists," she said.
She said the government refused her timely medical treatment and called the safe house where she was kept under federal protection a "chamber of death."
"It beggars the description meted out to her -- it was inhuman, she developed severe hypertension and as a result severe heart and eye problems," said Shivani Mukherji, publisher of Nasreen's books in India.
"It's shameful for a so-called secular country to behave this way -- they should have stood up to the people who opposed her," she said.
The Congress-led government has made no comment on the departure of Nasreen who was kept under federal protection in New Delhi after being hounded from Kolkata, capital of Marxist-ruled West Bengal, in November by riots and death threats from Islamic radicals who called her writings blasphemous.
India's Hindu daily on Thursday quoted her as saying she was in London but said she was not revealing her final destination "for the sake of security."
Nasreen fled Bangladesh in 1994 after Muslims accused her of blasphemy over her novel "Lajja" -- or "Shame" -- depicting the life of a Hindu family persecuted by Muslims in Bangladesh.
The 45-year-old gynaecologist-turned-author, whose situation has been likened to that of Indian-born British author Salman Rushdie, was seeking permanent residence in India where she moved after spending time in Europe and the US.
But New Delhi, fearful of a backlash from the country's 140-million-plus Muslims, and had given the author only short-term visas.
Just before her departure, Nasreen issued a statement accusing Indian authorities of having "constantly pressured me mentally to leave the country."
"The Indian government could have put its foot down and said 'no' to the radical Muslim groups and its Left allies," said columnist Parsa Venkateshwar Rao.
But she wanted "her individual freedom should be as unfettered as it was before and perhaps it was a task that was a bit too difficult. At one level there was a need to protect her and at the other they had to put in some restrictions for her safety," he said.
Radical Muslim leaders cheered her exit. "We will resist her return by any means," said Siddi Kulla Chowdhury, secretary of the Jamiat Ulema Hind.
Nasreen had sought to go back to Kolkata but the Marxist state government, which is in political trouble, said it did not want her back.
The opposition Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party has accused the Congress government of kowtowing to Muslim pressure, worried about losing a traditional support base with just over a year to go before elections.
"Nasreen is only one in a long list of journalists, writers, scholars and artists who have been persecuted, banned, imprisoned, forced into exile," said the Indian Forum for the Protection of Free Speech and Expression, pressing for Indian citizenship for the author in a recent statement.
"Different governments have either directly or indirectly resorted to these measures in order to fan the flames of religious, regional and ethnic obscurantism to gain popularity and expand their 'vote-bank,'" said the group, which included Booker Prize winner Arundhati Roy said.
"She found a home in Kolkata as close as she could get to her homeland -- a Bengali-speaking environment -- but now she fears she'll never be able to come back," said publisher Prasanda Roy.

Rabz
March 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
Who cares about her....

bdchamp20
March 22, 2008, 12:37 PM
Some of the comments I read are disgusting and shocking, seriously I consider the BC members to be some of the most intellectual compared to other forums and people who hold progressive views and try to understand something before commenting. Now my personal views on Ms. Nasreen are that she is trying to create awareness on what is happening to women in our country in the name of Islam. I am fine with that part but she doesnt have to attack Islam. But still we should be much more tolerant on our part. And if you people have actually read some of her books you coudnt say its bad work. Yes, some of her work does have sexual content, but just calm down. I wont believe any of u if u said u havent watched ****. So please dont get personal on her. Seriously, shame on u guyz!

Sohel
March 22, 2008, 12:40 PM
I met her. She's intellectually dishonest, a liar and just repulsive in more ways than one. Not a bad writer though, technically speaking, irrespective of the content. Her essays are polemical and passionate, but they sadly mitigate the overall impact by going overboard, making that initial passion almost melodramatic.

That said, I'm all for her basic human rights being respected by all concerned.

series
March 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
I met her. She's intellectually dishonest, a liar and just repulsive in more ways than one. Not a bad writer though, technically speaking, irrespective of the content. Her essays are polemical and passionate, but they sadly mitigate the overall impact by going overboard, making that initial passion almost melodramatic.

Oh really!:eek:

bdchamp20
March 22, 2008, 01:18 PM
I wonder if I opened a page on Motiur Rahman and the other war-criminals whether the comments would have been as fierce as they are on Taslima Nasreen

Alien
March 23, 2008, 03:43 AM
I wonder where she will go now. To communist China where the government despises religion as much as she does?

GuruTM
March 23, 2008, 04:55 AM
I was going to post something about it. Not worth it. She should just get a job.

WarWolf
March 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
This nastik woman will never find peace in her life again.

Allah er sathe jei napormani korbe shei kokhono shanti pabe na. Allah taake sashti ditei thakbe.
Allah taake shothik path dekhan.

WarWolf
March 23, 2008, 08:08 AM
Come on now guys, let's go easy on Orpheus' girlfriend.
:floor::floor::floor::floor:
Tai naki Orphy?

al Furqaan
March 23, 2008, 02:06 PM

very well stated about T-Nasty!

btw, i've noticed that intellectualy dishonesty is the hallmark of educated/intelligent islamophobes of all stripes. the usual ignorant "rednecks" just hate but clever ones are more dangerous due to that intellectual dishonesty.

B.A.F
March 23, 2008, 03:38 PM
Good riddance!

B.A.F
March 23, 2008, 03:52 PM
Some of the comments I read are disgusting and shocking, seriously I consider the BC members to be some of the most intellectual compared to other forums and people who hold progressive views and try to understand something before commenting. Now my personal views on Ms. Nasreen are that she is trying to create awareness on what is happening to women in our country in the name of Islam. I am fine with that part but she doesnt have to attack Islam. But still we should be much more tolerant on our part. And if you people have actually read some of her books you coudnt say its bad work. Yes, some of her work does contain pornography, but just calm down. I wont believe any of u if u said u havent watched ****. So please dont get personal on her. Seriously, shame on u guyz!

Proposition 1 :
She is trying to create awareness I understand - as are feminist groups and etc, but one must understand that many of these atrocities are not ONLY submissive towards Islamic dogma being falsely missapplied. These things are more CULTURAL than religious. Don't be silly and try to say underage rape, sexual abuse can even come about using 'Islam' - our people may not be uber-intelligent, but not that thick.

Proposition 2:
Islam is opposite to what she proclaims. Now if she says anything opposite and contrary to Islamic beliefs - under the Islamic banner attributing rape, murder, sexual paedophillia is being attached - then how can you be ok with it? She isn't saying things on a different tangent, saying Sexual Abuse, Female inferiority on one hand, and Islam's weakness in handling it - NO. If she was, that is a subjective opinion, and as a freeminded individual, let her maintain this opinion - in that sense. BUT SHE is attributing Islam TO the rape and the paraphernalia of actions she speaks of - in that sense - there is no way you can say that you are ok with it, if you are a true muslim at heart , ipso ergo facto.

Proposition 3 :
The fact Bangladesh is an Isla-Secular country is the reason why Taslima Nasreen is still able to breath air - tolerance is one issue when the point raised has a logical background - but what she did was blasphemously attribute the complete Islamic Doctrinal substances to the core of the atrocities she poetically expressed about - that my friend - deserves no love from me - don't kill her yes, don't do a Khomeina ala Rushdi, but the main thing is we didn't, and neither are we going to.

Proposition 4 :
No one said anything about the Pornographic material, if you are going to bring in our personal taste etc i.e. you watch pornography , so it justifies it, then, well, its the same as a murderer coming on here and justifying his act of murder on a human to your act of murdering a fly :)

Propostion 5 :
Personal hate was never an issue with her - it was always a matter of disdain at her works.
If I was an admirer of poetry - her literary expression is wonderful and she is very intelligent - but as a person with a basis of right and wrong, fair and injustice, her work though abdundant in the delectatibility of linguistic profoundness - lacks the real focal acumen of fairness.
All poets to me must bear a reason with a justified purpose - a rebel must be with an aim. Her aim? Pointless and unjust. :) So I have no reason but on this ground to detrimentally lambaste her works for the thing it is - a farce from page 1 till infinity :)

With Regards,
B.A.F

Sohel
March 24, 2008, 05:57 AM
btw, i've noticed that intellectualy dishonesty is the hallmark of educated/intelligent islamophobes of all stripes. the usual ignorant "rednecks" just hate but clever ones are more dangerous due to that intellectual dishonesty.

Not just "Islamo" phobia brother Asad, but irrational phobias of any kind IMHO. It is important for some individuals to draw attention to themselves by denigrating others because it makes them feel weirdly warm and fuzzy inside. Pain and sorrow > depraved longings > anger > and then finally hatred, tragic really.

Based on my conversation with her in Kolkata not too long ago, I'd say TNas doesn't know enough about Islam and its multiple complexities in Bangladeshi society to merit serious discussion. She sees what she chooses to see in simple black and white, and how she chooses to see them, irrespective of the ocean of greys, blues and green among many other colors. She's also only interested in those "facts", both real and imaginary, that support her banter.

Her dalali is also unfortunate, but a paycheck is a paycheck I suppose.

That said, I don't think she should be censored or her basic human rights be violated simply because of her views, or how repulsive she may be at multiple levels to someone like me personally. People have the right to be wrong, or what we percieve to be wrong from a particular POV.

Only GOD, the Omniscient knows all, only He knows what is truly in the hearts of His creations, His ways are NOT our ways, and He will surely judge us all. We must not play GOD.

If we do, however inadvertently that judgement may be, then we'll be no better than what she'd like to do those she deems "the enemy", not to mention possible consequences on the Day of Judgement.

There is a difference between taking lawful action in order to maintain social harmony, and passing the sort of moral judgement we simply do not, and will NEVER have all of the facts to make. A part of maintaining social harmony has everything to do with assuring due process to everyone, including those who seek to undermine that harmony ... :)

Good shall always prevail in the end as long as the faithful do not violate their individual covenant with GOD.

Alien
March 24, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think there are bigger Islamphobes out there than this one. And Netherlands is becoming a breeding ground for Islamophobes. Must be the legal-ganja factor.

Sohel
March 24, 2008, 08:08 AM
I think there are bigger Islamphobes out there than this one. And Netherlands is becoming a breeding ground for Islamophobes. Must be the legal-ganja factor.

:floor: ... well said ... lace it with alga Euro liberal matobbori ... and that's coming from a card-carrying member of ACLU and a staunch supporter of medical marijuana, the authentic kind.

al Furqaan
March 24, 2008, 11:34 AM
Cant agree bro. She was born in Bangladesh and also the rightful citizen of bangladesh by birth...definately our problem.

won't disagree here. but at the same time, however we deal with her its going to bring pain and sorrow to the majority of bangladeshis (pardon her at our expense, punish her and int'l condemnation comes out way). personally, i am glad she isn't in our country any more...it takes the heat off of us. its like getting someone else to wash our dirty underwear.

Secondly Islam is a great religion, a religion that asks people to be tolerant of others views.

there is a difference between tolerating disagreement and accepting outright hostility. for example, in the US one is perfectly entitled to be anti-war, but the moment you "aid the enemy" you're in trouble. bad analagy perhaps, but you get the point...

Her views of Islam are extremely radical but so are the views of countless other people in our world. I know a lot of you are residents of States and Australia. There they have people with more radical views, if we can tolerate them than y cant we tolerate her.

the people of US/Israel/the west actually have understandable (not to be confused with "justified") rationale for hating Islam and muslims. who crashed airplanes into taslima nasreen's big head???

the quran states that disbelievers will not be happy with you "until you follow their way" so when we westerners face hostility, we do so at our own knowledge when we immigrated here.

further, this is "their country" they have the right to believe and say what they want so long as they don't actually harm anyone physically. Miss T-Nasty does not fall in this cateogry.

she is a daughter of one of the "lands of islam" talking badly about the cultural mores of her entire nation. had this been justifiable by real, empiracal evidence (and not one off 1992 incidents) she would have been wholly in the right. this is not the case.

Thirdly she was successful in her motive which was to gain atention. I mean this is a trend of lot of below par writers to seek attention by fuming the fundamentalists. This is how Mr Rushdie sold his books.

Our intolerance provides a dim view abt Bangladesh to the wider world. I like to believe that we are a moderate muslim country. Slowly I am being proved wrong.

in many ways bangladesh is amongst the most moderate muslim countries in the world. e.g we don't have jihadists like pakistan, afghanista, iraq, saudi, and a few others. we don't have strict enforing of sharia law, etc.

but on other aspects we're just like any other "muslim country". muslims, today, are characterized by tough words with no action. same with bangladesh. OIC talks about unity, but is busy licking dollar bills.

Lastly recently Christopher Hitchens published a book called "God is not great" Over there he writes a lot of things against three most popular religion (islam Christianity and Jew). However i don see any church protesting and advertising for his work as a result. Or throwing him out of US. Just sad what happened with her in Bangladesh. She deserves to be punished by the court of law (which she was) and may be on the day of judgement ( to be decided by the allmighty), But not scared out bangladesh by some religious extremist. Don expect u guys to support that either.

i'll agree with this, albeit grudgingly.

overall a fine post, and i don't really disagree with you, even though it sounds like it. :big_hug:

Alien
March 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
further, this is "their country" they have the right to believe and say what they want so long as they don't actually harm anyone physically.

This whole saga of Islam vs west starts when they harm people with wars and sanctions (Afghanistan, Iraq) or support idiots who do it for them (Israel).

Alien
March 26, 2008, 05:42 AM

It's true her actions puts us in bad limelight, but you can't say it's "our" problem. We never asked her to do what she does.