PDA

View Full Version : Sledging

Mahmood
October 18, 2003, 05:13 PM
So far, BD team did not face much sledging or at least we don't know about it. I only remember a little sledging incidents from Pakistan so far. However, yesterday was whole different thing.

Apperantly, the comment from Nafis calling the English spinners "Ordinary" has ignited insult on the English players. Yesterday when ever Nasif did not hit a bowl, they teased him, " why are you not hitting a ordinary bowler?" This might even gotten Nafis distracted to be out while playing so good.

Another disturbing incident was Aftab, when there was a strong caught behind appeal against him, and the umpire did not give out, 5 fields circled Aftab and started teasing him, "why are you not leaving, you know you are out, are you shameless?"

Thanks to Golla for saving him by saying to them, "why are you telling him this, he does not understand English". Then they left him alone.

If they continue this in the tests, we better start preparing our players on how to ignore sledging and stay focused on the game. We are still a new test nation and definitly very new to this "sledging". I hope this won't hurt BD performence.

Orpheus
October 18, 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
Apperantly, the comment from Nafis calling the English spinners "Ordinary" has ignited insult on the English players. Yesterday when ever Nasif did not hit a bowl, they teased him, " why are you not hitting a ordinary bowler?"

HAHA - I am glad he didn't get out to a spinner. Those English bowlers are really pathetic ....Bunch of Whiners!

Another disturbing incident was Aftab, when there was a strong caught behind appeal against him, and the umpire did not give out, 5 fields circled Aftab and started teasing him, "why are you not leaving, you know you are out, are you shameless?"

Thanks to Golla for saving him by saying to them, "why are you telling him this, he does not understand English". Then they left him alone.

Oh yeah, great come back by Golla :-/

Ehsan
October 18, 2003, 06:49 PM
This is our land yo and they are sledging against us, this is not fair. We should take players like Nafis specially to sledge. If they start sledging then we better start it as well, otherwise you'll see all BD batsman flying for a duck.

reinausagi
October 18, 2003, 07:13 PM
If Bd players need to resort to sledging, I think they should do it in Bangla. Unmps sure as heck won't know what to make of it, and it would cause tha English to think the worst is being said of them.:lol:

sheshprohor
October 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
To all players (except Nafis) For remedy.....just learn this line " ME NO ENGLISH".

...and use it.

Prohor

sheshprohor
October 18, 2003, 09:59 PM
Another way could be the use of deshi gaali. Give them 'gaali' in bangla and then give them full smile (DONTO Bikoshito)...eventhough the 'anglo' don't know what that means, but still that will work.

Prohor

Carte Blanche
October 18, 2003, 10:31 PM
May be they should say "What? What?" to whatever they say.

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 10:33 PM
It's not safe to utter obscenity even in Bengali. In the WC the Australians, especially Gilchrist reported Rashid Latif to the umpires. He thought he was utterring obscenity in Urdu. But I think we should use degrading (but not obscene)words like "murgi (aka coward)" "chagol (aka stupid)" to counter their sledging and make fun of them. For example Javed could tell Aftab "Chagol gular kothate kan dish na!" And that might have helped reduce the anger and subsequent sudden rush of blood!

Carte Blanche
October 18, 2003, 10:41 PM
Come to think of it - match referee asking a BCB official to do literal translation of the words captured by the video footage. "GOATS"? That would be very funny if they know that we're calling them bunch of goats.

Tehsin
October 18, 2003, 10:42 PM
The whole idea of sledging is to get to the players. If someone smiles and says crap to me in french, it won't bother me at all.

Also, why start something you can't finish ? Our boys can definitely sledge in BANGLA but that will not affect the ENGLISH, however, everyone pretty much understands English so guess what ?

One way (it's not easy mate, unless you have faced it, you won't know how it affects you in the field) would be to just ignore - teach them the old - Talk to the hand - bit.

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Tehsin, you are surely right about the objectives of sledging! But I guess you did not get my point. I was talking about countering sledging, i.e. how our batsmen can keep their nerve. We definitely need to speak in English to get to their batsmen. Khaled mashud's constant chatter can also have similar effects even if not in English. Aggressive body language can also help. India used it very effectively against Australia during their home series.

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 10:58 PM
I liked Carte Blanche's "What? What?" That might be another way to ignore that. But while batting, instead of getting at them the batsmen should try to concentrate on keeping his concentration. And if they can keep in mind that the fielders are only trying to distract them that will help. Batsmen should understand that by staying there longer he can increase the fielding side's frustration.

Orpheus
October 18, 2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Optimist
words like "murgi (aka coward)" ..

HAHA really?? murgi means coward? as in You are a chicken. That is a new one... that's it from now on, I am using that on my Bengali friends, maybe pakis too.. one actually looks like a murgi .. anyways!

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 11:26 PM
Imagine a scene.........Mashrafee is about to start his run up to bowl to Vaughn; Khaled mashud shouting to him "beshi jore dish na murgi-ta pant bhijae phelbe"...All the fielders broke out into a laughter; The Umpire calling Khaled Mahmud to explain what Mashud said........And Masud explaining in his educated English..."Mashud was asking Masrafee to bowl slowly, otherwise Vaugn being a chicken will wet his pant"

Ehsan
October 18, 2003, 11:29 PM
hahahahaha....now thats hilarious. Good one.:D:lol:

rafiq
October 19, 2003, 01:47 AM
this is a really strange thread!