PDA

View Full Version : Under 19 team- No place for Talha

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 10:18 PM
Talha is not in the team! Are the selectors grooming him as a future test bowler? Too much limited over matches at an early stage can infact be detrimental to development. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Mahmood
October 18, 2003, 11:05 PM
I am lost. A bowler like Talha not in U-19, not in national team.... does not make any sense.

Could be someone powerfull does not like him.

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 11:41 PM
I feel bad for Talha. He must be pretty low. The selectors should talk to him and explain the reasons behind his exclusion.

Ehsan
October 18, 2003, 11:50 PM
I thought its his fitness. Read the Daily star report below for more clarification.

Talha ignored
Sports Reporter

Young paceman Talha Jubair was the surprise omission from the Bangladesh Under-19 squad for the ACC Asian Under-19 Tournament in Pakistan.
One of the country's two sensational discoveries by West Indies great Andy Roberts Talha has reported missed the Pakistan trip on two flimsy grounds.

"By the time we got his fitness report we had already selected the final fourteen. Besides, we have also got not a very inspiring report from under-19 coach Richard McInnes," said chief of the junior selection committee Jahangir Shah Badsha last night.

But the excuse of Badsha, a former national all-rounder, contradicted the way the young bowler performed in the just concluded three-day match against England at the BKSP.

Talha returned from injury with a bang and the way his dismissed top England batsman Nasser Hussain would have made any fast bowler proud. The tall right-are seamer send down a perfect pitched up delivery that shot up from good length before kissing the gloves of an evasive Hussain behind the stumps.

But Badsha considered his 12-over spell that got him two wickets as 'inconsistent'.

Moreover the chief selectors dared to say that any of seamers picked for the Pakistan tour could be as good as Talha.

However Badsha was quick to point Talha should not be disappointed because he was very much in the plans for next year's Under-19 World Cup.

But the irony is that Talha has already proved himself at the highest level and belongs in that bracket if only people like Badsha took notice.

BANGLADESH U-19 SQUAD: Nafees Iqbal (captain), Shahriar Nafees Ahmed (vice-captain), Nazimuddin, Aftab Ahmed, Naeem Islam, Abul Bashar, Arafat Sunny, Gazi Sagir Hossain Pavel (wicket-keeper), Nadif Chowdhury, Ifti Khairul Islam, Rubaiyat Haq, Enamul Haque, Ziaur Rahman and Kazi Shahadat Hussain.

Officials: Akram Khan (manager), Richard McInnes (coach), and Justin Cordy (physio cum trainer).

Standby: Talha Jubair, Mehrab Hossain and Nazmul Hossain.

ITINERARY

October 31: Bangladesh v Pakistan, India v Sri Lanka

November 2: Pakistan v India, Bangladesh v Sri Lanka

November 4: Pakistan v Sri Lanka, Bangladesh v India

November 6: Final

Optimist
October 18, 2003, 11:58 PM
Jahangir Shah Badsha was a verry good allrounder. But I never liked him because of his attitude. The reasons given by him are surely flimsy. But I must admit that from whatever I have seen of Talha, he really needs to work on his consistency.

tnb
October 19, 2003, 01:41 AM
Took my words on Badshah. It takes a great character to get out of the defensive mind set that you acquire playing for the weakest team around. In those days of late 80s we only played to pass the 50 overs. No ambition or what so ever.

Prince, Badshah, Dulu, etc. (I think Badshah was better in this lot as a player) they should never be in the selection committee. They did their job as a player and its time for them to get some benefit out of benefit matches, not from working as a member in the selection committee. Sounds rude, but thatís reality. We are a different team now and need people of different mind set.

As someone had pointed out, you need to be under good coach to work on your game. We really need to keep these promising youngsters in the team. This will give them two things: confidence, and good guidance. The descriptions of Hussain's out describe a class bowler there. We need to groom these youngsters, and that certainly not by excluding them from the team with some 'khora jukti'.

Even there is no news on Shafaq. If he has problem, work with him closely. Donít through him into oblivion. You donít find someone 6'-5" (which gives him an ability to extract bounce easily) every day. India is spending millions to find a first bowler. We got at least three without spending a penny. Just need some moulding, and we are not doing it properly.

Anecdote: In the mid 80s to early 90s whenever Izaz Ahmed (he was not that good then, matured later) played, they used to show his highest score, and Bangladesh's name would appear as the opponent. Every time they showed that I used to curse every BD bowlers for that. They started the match well but went so defensive after Ijaz and someone else (canít recall now, Salim Malik ?) went after them. It just made Pakistanis piling up easier.

Sham
October 19, 2003, 04:45 AM
I can't imagine what reason there is behind Talha's exclusion. If they kept him back because they might want him for the second Test, that is a pretty good reason. That apart, there is no reason in my mind. After Masri and Tapash, Talha is our third best quickie in my mind. Not to get into an u-19 team after he has played Test Matches and taken wickets is just crazy.

muddaser
October 19, 2003, 09:04 AM
who do you reckon will win this tournament.

Optimist
October 19, 2003, 11:22 AM
Which tournament are you referring to? Bangladesh-England series? Bangladesh will definitely thrash England! Atleast their is no doubt in our heart. If only our players could believe that!

Tehsin
October 19, 2003, 11:30 AM
India or Pakistan.

BangladeshCricket
October 19, 2003, 11:47 AM
Reading all your opinions and also getting the information about Talha, I also agree with you guyz that atleast he should not be ignored ...if this is the pick time he should be allowed to play...exclusion might result poor performance cuz of depression or lack of self confidence due to dropped out from team.

Nascer
October 19, 2003, 03:10 PM
[Edited on 6-11-2004 by Nascer]

Optimist
October 19, 2003, 04:53 PM
tnb, you are spot-on about the mind-set of Badsha's generation. However I would love to see Gazi Ashraf Lipu playing a key role either as a selector or manager.

Optimist
October 19, 2003, 06:27 PM
Muddaser, I agree with Tehsin. India and Pakistan are red-hot-favorites. India is always verry good in age group limited over competitions. And Pakistan becuse of their home advntage. But our team also very good. We expect our boys to give the favorites a hard time.

muddaser
October 20, 2003, 07:26 AM
i reckon england are worried after struggling to beat the bangladesh A team.

Mahmood
October 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
Without Talha, BD pace attack is pretty weak. So count BD out. (It makes no sense why BCB would harm the team significantly by dropping Talha!!!)

It will be Probably India, if not, Pakistan who will win it.

bhobishshot
October 20, 2003, 04:03 PM
Why is Mehrab Hossain in the stand by for the under 19? This guy is 25.

pagol-chagol
October 20, 2003, 04:11 PM
So are half of the other players.

Mahmood
October 20, 2003, 04:23 PM
That is either a typo or a different Mehrab Hossain. Definitly not Opee.