PDA

View Full Version : How to learn Bengali?

Moshin
December 10, 2007, 07:29 AM
Hey guys,
im currently taking Bengali as one of my subjects for GCSEs,
but now i am finding it very difficult to learn the subject,
I mainly speak english to my friends, and I only speak
bengali to my family, the one thing I find difficult to learn is shuddo Bangla,
When I speak to my parents I speak Sylheti Bangla, so shuddo Bangla is like
a whole new language for me, because there is so much difference and so
many new words of which I dont understand, plus I mainly speak English,
I tried watching Bangla natoks n news to learn the flow of Bangla, but
still it's not working, is there any good advice that you can give me on how
to learn shuddo Bangla compared with Sylheti Bangla, or I'm done for!
So please give advice to me, accha tumrar bala takho:big_hug:.

AsifTheManRahman
December 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Kothopokothon shorbottom poddhoti.

Orpheus
December 10, 2007, 11:09 AM
get some non sylheti bangaldeshi friends. We turned two of our sylheti friends into pure dhakaiyas...

Orpheus
December 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
Kothopokothon shorbottom poddhoti.

asif eto podo podo kortacho keno? bangla kou... naile ekgan chowr mariyere daat beggun falai diyum.

goru
December 10, 2007, 11:35 AM
Erm.... can you even read/write Bangla? Last time I checked (1996), the O'Level Bengali exam had no oral components. Reading/writing Bangla is a lot harder than speaking it. I don't think someone can just pick it up at the GCSE level and expect to do well in it. It sounds like you've had no formal lessons on the language till now, so I don't think this is a good idea...

Kabir
December 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
It's a major problem...I guess.

Speaking Sylheti all your life, and trying to write shudhdho Bangla now...I guess you can see why Sylheti should be considered a wholly different language.

Orpheus
December 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
It's a major problem...I guess.

Speaking Sylheti all your life, and trying to write shudhdho Bangla now...I guess you can see why Sylheti should be considered a wholly different language.

for sylhetis, speaking maybe a problem but why writing should be I don't know. You would still use bangla text to write whatever it is that you wanna write. They do go to school....

Sylhet division has good passing rate in SSC/HSC :)

Fazal
December 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
Date a girl who speaks "shuddo Bangla".

Bengaliprince176
December 10, 2007, 01:36 PM
turn your "ssss" into "ch" and your "f"s into "p"s...thats what i told my mate ;)

Nasif
December 10, 2007, 02:03 PM
turn your "ssss" into "ch" and your "f"s into "p"s...thats what i told my mate ;)

Thats not "shuddho bangla" rather Kolkata accent. ;)

[বাংলা]করছো? = শুদ্ধ
কচ্চ = কলকাতা

আসছি = শুদ্ধ
আসচি =কলকাতা

[/বাংলা]

Parisa
December 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
there are so many sylhettis in east london.....hardly anyone from dhaka......

Antora
December 10, 2007, 04:51 PM
Buy a lot of bangla natok DvDs and watch them!!! thats the way i learnt!
even though in natoks they mostly say
"koteso" instead of korcho
or ashteshi instead of ashchi
but close enough!:D
plus i also go to bangla school!

zahid
December 10, 2007, 05:46 PM
There's nothing called Shudhdhu Bangla - it's called Bangla aka Bengali.

Sylethi isn't Bengali. It's a District language for Sylhet. You speak Sylethi with your family.

So, bottom line is you can't read, write or speak Bengali.

I suggest you start with the book called Adorsholipi.

Nasif
December 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
So, bottom line is you can't read, write or speak Bengali.

I suggest you start with the book called Adorsholipi.

How will he read the book called [বাংলা]আদর্শলিপি[/বাংলা] if he can't read Bangla?

:umm:

Orpheus
December 10, 2007, 06:04 PM
How will he read the book called [বাংলা]আদর্শলিপি[/বাংলা] if he can't read Bangla?

that's deep.

zahid
December 10, 2007, 06:08 PM

Boiyer prothom prishta thekei Bangla bornomala shiktey hobey - Shoreyo ... Shoreaa....

Omio
December 10, 2007, 06:36 PM
Boiyer prothom prishta thekei Bangla bornomala shiktey hobey - Shoreyo ... Shoreaa....

[বাংলা]অ = অজগর ঐ আসছে তেড়ে।[/বাংলা]
http://www.greglasley.net/Images/African-Rock-Python-0004.jpg

[বাংলা]আ= আমটি আমি খাব পেড়ে[/বাংলা]

http://mgonline.com/mango04.jpg

Fazal
December 10, 2007, 06:46 PM
[বাংলা]অ = অজগর ঐ আসছে তেড়ে।[/বাংলা]
http://www.greglasley.net/Images/African-Rock-Python-0004.jpg

[বাংলা]আ= আমটি আমি খাব পেড়ে[/বাংলা]

http://mgonline.com/mango04.jpg

That snake is not ][বাংলা]অ = অজগর[/বাংলা]. And those aam are too 'Kacha' .

RazabQ
December 10, 2007, 06:59 PM
Mohsin, the way I see it, depending on your skills you have two options:

1) If you can read write in a sylheti flavor then all you have to do is become conversant in non-Sylheti, mainstream Bangla dialect. Antora and Orphy have good ideas on that front. At the same time might I suggest that it is time you got familiar with our awesome body of literature. Syed Mujtaba Ali, Humayun Ahmed, Rabindranath, Nazrul, Jasimuddin to name a few - you'll find that there's quite a lot to read out there.

2) If you cannot read or write Bangla (in any form)then yeah, you need to get some basic Bangla books. My kid's learning Bangla (he's 3) and we've got this books where he can trace the letters and erase them. I'm guessing you'll graduate from that to spelling in a few hours and from spelling to 3rd of 4rth grade level reading in a week. After that go back to option 1.

Good luck.

Omio
December 10, 2007, 07:12 PM
That snake is not ][বাংলা]অ = অজগর[/বাংলা]. And those aam are too 'Kacha' .

are ota [বাংলা]অজগর[/বাংলা] ar okhne 1ta paka am ase.;)

al Furqaan
December 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
Syed Mujtaba Ali, Humayun Ahmed, Rabindranath, Nazrul, Jasimuddin to name a few - you'll find that there's quite a lot to read out there.

Syed Mujtaba Ali is my great-grandmother's older brother, IIRC...isn't that right, ammark (where is he?)?

Antora
December 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
well Moshin bhaiya, this is a place to get started if you wanna learn shudho bangla! its in banglish so you should be able to read it:D
http://www.languageshome.com/English-Bengali.htm

ammark
December 11, 2007, 07:27 AM
Syed Mujtaba Ali is my great-grandmother's older brother, IIRC...isn't that right, ammark (where is he?)?

yes, except that he passed away much before you or I were even born. Currently all his progeny do a fine job of keeping in touch via email and flooding my inbox. :)

Moshin
December 11, 2007, 07:58 AM

Who is Syed Mujtaba Ali???

Moshin
December 11, 2007, 08:02 AM
yeah i know how to read and write bengali,
but to speak or understand it is very difficult
its like another language:doh:
people here in the UK see 'dhakaya' people as a
different background and see them as 'posh people'
no offense, but true. (respond:-|.

cricket_dorshok
December 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
Syed Mujtaba Ali (Bengali: সৈয়দ মুজতবা আলী ) (1904-1974), was a renowned Bangladeshi author, academician, scholar and linguist.
read more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syed_Mujtaba_Ali)

Parisa
December 11, 2007, 08:22 AM
there is something called "proper bangla". and that is the standard bengali which is spoekn in dhaka only. other parts of bangladesh speaks bengali but in their own dialect.but it is still bengali only it is not standard.

Parisa
December 11, 2007, 08:33 AM
i'm sick of hearing sylhetti.i've been hearing that for the past 8 years now.i miss hearing the standard bengali.dhaka bengali.but that is inevitable since i live in east london where the majority of bengali population is sylhetti.

Tigers_eye
December 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
i'm sick of hearing sylhetti.i've been hearing that for the past 8 years now.i miss hearing the standard bengali.dhaka bengali.but that is inevitable since i live in east london where the majority of bengali population is sylhetti.
Welcome Parisa to BC. Sorry to hear your misery.

Which part of Dhaka speaks proper bangla? The non-dhakaias in Gulshan?

No, I am not a sylheti.

Comments on your sig:
What makes Tony Blair then? Dumbest of all? Since he blindly supports a dumb guy. :)

Tigers_eye
December 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
...And those aam are too 'Kacha' .
and as if you never had kacha aam?

Moshin
December 11, 2007, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear that you hate Sylhetis (!) you might as well just talk Sylheti then,
since who hate the dialect, who said you only need to speak one dialect/basha,
you can speak both of them u know, just hear and talk with your friends in Sylheti and then you'll get the hang of it (its like slang)

MohammedC
December 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
post deleted

DJ Sahastra
December 11, 2007, 11:28 AM

Honestly, that doesn't work. What may end up happening is her "Shuddo Bangla" may not remain "Shuddo" anymore.

DJ Sahastra
December 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
Mohsin,

Make BabuBangla your Guru. Try to read his square-box posts. I am sure you'll be talking-walking-laughing Bangla in no time.

Moshin
December 11, 2007, 12:05 PM

haha:lol:, that will not work for sure,
the dhakaya people I know, never speak a word of Bangla over here,
they only speak English, i fink they are ashamed of it or somthin (:mad:!)
if any of them do speak dhakaya, then they will ruin thier
reputation, that's how it is i fink, yeah, anyway thanks 4 the advice:-D.

Moshin
December 11, 2007, 12:06 PM
Mohsin,

Make BabuBangla your Guru. Try to read his square-box posts. I am sure you'll be talking-walking-laughing Bangla in no time.

please re-phrase busta parcina??

Kabir
December 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
please re-phrase busta parcina??

You know BabuBangla right? He's by far one of the most favorite members to many here, and writes superb Bangla stuff...some of his threads can be digged up if you go and make a serch on him. If you read his Bangla, you'll learn the language in no time. Guaranteed ;)

Moshin
December 11, 2007, 12:16 PM
You know BabuBangla right? He's by far one of the most favorite members to many here, and writes superb Bangla stuff...some of his threads can be digged up if you go and make a serch on him. If you read his Bangla, you'll learn the language in no time. Guaranteed ;)

oh accha thanks i'll go and check it out now!

RazabQ
December 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
I know a lot of non-Sylhetis in UK. How is it that one would only hear Sylheti then? You'all are not trying hard enought. Seriously Mohsin, if you can read, start reading man. You have a lot of catching up to do. BTW read [বাংলা]বাংলা বই[/বাংলা] obviously :)

Fazal
December 11, 2007, 01:55 PM

People used go to china to learn (gain knowledge) and you cannot fly to Dhaka to learn proper Bangla? Who knows, as a bonus may find your future mate as a byproduct. So I say "Cholo Cholo choley Jau Dur Bohu Dur..."

Arnab
December 11, 2007, 02:47 PM

To improve your speaking of shuddho Bangla, you need to live in Dhaka (or Calcutta), where you can regularly interact with the educated Bengali speaking people. I don't think this is possible in a foreign country.

As far as listening is concerned, watch the Bengali dramas on the Bangladeshi channels. They should be available to you via satellite.

For lots of written Bengali material, read the bengali blogs on the internet. They have really taken off in the last 12 months or so. As an example, I suggest www.somewhereinblog.net, a Bengali blogging community.

You will find educated Bangladeshis (both expatriates and Bangladesh-based) blogging in Bengali about contemporary topics. Some of them even write poems and short stories. You will also learn a lot of khati (mostly Dhakaiya) slangs from the comments and posts.

It's online, it's the creative output of contemporary Bengalis, and there's something new everyday. So yes, for maximum online exposure, I am going to advise you to check out these blogs.

BanCricFan
December 11, 2007, 03:22 PM
To improve your speaking of shuddho Bangla, you need to live in Dhaka (or Calcutta), where you can regularly interact with the educated Bengali speaking people. I don't think this is possible in a foreign country.

WOW! Astounding generalisation!

Kabir
December 11, 2007, 03:38 PM

Actually, I found the last part quite funny - "which is not possible in a foreign country".

It may be true for England...but US and Canada are different. In Dhaka, nobody speaks shudhdho Bangla. And Kolkata's Bangla will not make Moshin pass his GCSE.

BanCricFan
December 11, 2007, 03:44 PM
mohsin_31,

Young fella, great that you have enthusiasm for learning standard Bangla. Its one of the richest languages on this planet. Keep plugging away with your GCSE bangla classes. There are numerous Bangla associations in London...if you want can get involved.

If you want to take it further, academically speaking, then you could read a bachelor in Bangla at School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London. SOAS is one of the most renowned universities in the world for Oriental Studies with amazing resources and facilities.

In the meantime, keep watching selective bangla dramas on tv and keep listening to bangla cricket commentary on tv and radio. Khuda Bux Mridha is my personal favourite!

Arnab
December 11, 2007, 03:46 PM

Not sure what you are talking about. The way one can regularly interact with educated shuddho Bengali-speaking people in either Dhaka (or Calcutta) cannot be emulated anywhere else in the world. The kind of real life opportunities one gets in these two cities to get thoroughly acquainted with Shuddho Bangla cannot be seen anywhere else.

For example, in Dhaka, Moshin can just go to Bishshwo Shahityo Kendro regularly for a few months and voila! He will definitely come out as a person speaking shudhdho Bengali. Of course, there is a big chance he will come out as a typical kendro atel as well, but let's ignore that for now.

Murad
December 11, 2007, 03:53 PM
I hate speaking khati shuddo bangla. No fun in talking like.. Ami Kheyechilam, Koriyachilam, Cholitechi, Moritechi or so. Its fun talking like this... Ami khaisilam, Korchilam, Choltechi, Mortechi...

Arnab
December 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
In Dhaka, nobody speaks shudhdho Bangla. And Kolkata's Bangla will not make Moshin pass his GCSE.

In Dhaka there are plenty of people who can speak the standard shuddho bangla very well. And apart from some differences in vocabulary, that standard Bangla in Dhaka is the same standard Bangla spoken by the educated circle in Calcutta. A Bangladeshi can easily understand a Calcutta-based TV channel's news and other programs that use standard Bengali.

In fact, from a dialectological perspective, the Bengali of Dhaka is closer to the Bengali of Calcutta than it is to the Bengali of Sylhet or Chittagong or Noakhali.

Arnab
December 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
I hate speaking khati shuddo bangla. No fun in talking like.. Ami Kheyechilam, Koriyachilam, Cholitechi, Moritechi or so. Its fun talking like this... Ami khaisilam, Korchilam, Choltechi, Mortechi...

[বাংলা]করিয়াছিলাম, চলিতেছি, মরিতেছি[/বাংলা] are examples of sadhu bhasha. It's a written language. Nobody really speaks in Sadhu Bhasha.

What we are talking about here is the Cholito spoken Bengali language. The three words in cholti bangla will be:[বাংলা] করেছিলাম, চলছি, মরছি[/বাংলা]।

Murad
December 11, 2007, 04:31 PM
Oh right. My bad.

But many people speak sadhu vasha.. There's a girl from our college speaks sadhu vasha. She sometimes pissed me off. She thinks this is the proper bangla and the way we speak(cholito vasha) is not. She thinks its oshuddho. There's another boy in my area speak the same as well.

Arnab
December 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
Oh right. My bad.

But many people speak sadhu vasha.. There's a girl from our college speaks sadhu vasha. She sometimes pissed me off. She thinks this is the proper bangla and the way we speak(cholito vasha) is not. She thinks its oshuddho. There's another boy in my area speak the same as well.

I have never ever heard anyone speak in sadhu bhasha as a regular spoken language. People sometimes use it for comedic effect, in a mock effort to sound serious, but that's all.

BanCricFan
December 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
Not sure what you are talking about. The way one can regularly interact with educated shuddho Bengali-speaking people in either Dhaka (or Calcutta) cannot be emulated anywhere else in the world. The kind of real life opportunities one gets in these two cities to get thoroughly acquainted with Shuddho Bangla cannot be seen anywhere else.

For example, in Dhaka, Moshin can just go to Bishshwo Shahityo Kendro regularly for a few months and voila! He will definitely come out as a person speaking shudhdho Bengali. Of course, there is a big chance he will come out as a typical kendro atel as well, but let's ignore that for now.

Well, our friend Mohsin can go to SOAS too and become very proficient in the art of articulation of Bangla! Do you agree?

BTW, educated people doesn't only resides in Dhaka or Kolikata (in case, nobody has informed you that)!

al Furqaan
December 11, 2007, 05:45 PM

he is perhaps best known as being al-Furqaan's great grand-uncle :D

al Furqaan
December 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
yes, except that he passed away much before you or I were even born. Currently all his progeny do a fine job of keeping in touch via email and flooding my inbox. :)

haha...i'm guessing that you are a member of the "ishti gushti" yahoo group...i sometimes browse that using my mom's user ID. i would love to join myself, but seeing as how i know almost no one (and i doubt they know me, except by name) i feel rather akward. i thought about creating an ishti gushti group on facebook, but felt somewhat shy of doing it.

RazabQ
December 11, 2007, 06:23 PM
Damn, am I the only one who is archaic enough to believe reading makes your language strong? I mean take my ability with English. Not to toot my own horn, I think do pretty well in this - a foreign language. And yet I grew up mostly in Dhaka, barring four years when I was a small kid (age 4-8). To borrow from Arnab's logic, this deprived me greatly of the opportunity to "listen" to educated English conversation (you only had to listen to some of my [বাংলা]ইংরেজি[/বাংলা] teachers to know this). What sustained my growth in this language, increased my proficiency, etc was nothing more than a British Council library card and a voracious appetite for reading. The beauty of reading is that you don't need anyone else for sustenance. Nowadays with the Internet you don't even need an elder to ask what some new term or phrase means.

Mohsin I'm telling you man - get reading!

And Ammark and Al - I had no idea that I was in the company of such great genes. Syed Mujtaba Ali is one of my favorite humor writers - up there with P.G. Wodehouse.

Fazal
December 11, 2007, 06:37 PM
Advice is like Flood Water. When it comes, its comes in bunches ....more than you can handle... and both are free.

zahid
December 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
well Moshin bhaiya, this is a place to get started if you wanna learn shudho bangla! its in banglish so you should be able to read it:D
http://www.languageshome.com/English-Bengali.htm

Oi websitey MOSQUE er transaltion Mandir. Enough said!

zahid
December 11, 2007, 08:45 PM

You still don't get it.
Bangla is the national language , which each Bangladeshi can speak. Each District also has it's own local language. If you are from that district, you can also speak that Language.

e.g. A person from Punjab can speak both Hindi and Punjabi. A person from West Bengal can speak both Hindi and Bengali.

zahid
December 11, 2007, 08:47 PM

You need to get out more.

al Furqaan
December 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
And Ammark and Al - I had no idea that I was in the company of such great genes. Syed Mujtaba Ali is one of my favorite humor writers - up there with P.G. Wodehouse.

nor did i to tell you the truth...i guess you know now why i'm such a great poster :-p

i knew from a ways back that he was a writer and stuff, and had been told he was well known, but i thought that was just in the family or something.

i was actually quite stunned to see his name appear in your post couple of days ago - if you scroll back to page 1 you will see that i wasn't quite sure if, in fact, it was the same Syed Mujtaba Ali. this is why i asked ammark if it was our SM Ali (Ammar's grandmother is my great-grandmother, from both of our maternal sides which i think means we should have identical mitochondrial DNA, yayyy!!!). i was fairly surprised to see that you had heard of him, as well as cricket_dorshok (i think) who let me know that SM Ali has a wikipedia page.

i just posted that wikipedia page on my facebook profile, prompting my little sister to ask how i came upon that site. and i told her it was thru BC.

what a world, eh?

Antora
December 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
Oi websitey MOSQUE er transaltion Mandir. Enough said!

oh:-|

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 02:42 AM
Well, our friend Mohsin can go to SOAS too and become very proficient in the art of articulation of Bangla! Do you agree?

Not entirely. It will be like [বাংলা]দুধের স্বাদ ঘোলে মেটানো[/বাংলা]. SOAS is not exactly a natural place where Bengali people from all ages and profession talk about their daily affairs and other cultural issues in shuddho bangla. The teaching Moshin will get will be artificial.

BTW, educated people doesn't only resides in Dhaka or Kolikata (in case, nobody has informed you that)!

I think you have unintentionally misread my post. Go back and read it again, this time with the emphasis on the "regular" part.

ammark
December 12, 2007, 03:18 AM
I improved my Bangla vocabulary a lot over the past 4 years by just watching the news on Channel i, NTV, ATN Bangla. Then there's Tritio Matra, Ekushey'r Shomoy, and other shows with talking heads. I genuinely find interest in their content, so improving Bangla comprehension just came about from watching these people.

Since wikipedia links have been posted, I will expect you to do some more google searching and read up about him. He was a literary critic and prolific writer who did much to change the way we use Bangla. Rabindranath once remarked about him "Mujtaba Ali Bangla Jaane".

What I want to point out is that he was Sylheti.... before any new 2nd generation Sylheti solicitors start showing up, bitching about Bangla and alienating themselves from anything non-Sylheti in Bangladesh.

i knew from a ways back that he was a writer and stuff, and had been told he was well known, but i thought that was just in the family or something.

i was actually quite stunned to see his name appear in your post couple of days ago - if you scroll back to page 1 you will see that i wasn't quite sure if, in fact, it was the same Syed Mujtaba Ali. this is why i asked ammark if it was our SM Ali...

A clarification needs to be made... Syed Mujtaba Ali is known by his full name (Huru Mama to your grandmother and my mother), but SM Ali commonly refers to his nephew Syed Mohammed Ali (Khasru Mama/Nana) who was the founder editor of The Daily Star and a very prolific journalist of Bangladesh.

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 08:22 AM

We see Dhakaya as posh, and Sylheti slang
Is that the way you guys see it in your prespective??

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
You need to get out more.

sorry just speaking what everbody thinks of it

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 08:24 AM
he is perhaps best known as being al-Furqaan's great grand-uncle :D

so...that means he's famous isnt it???

ammark
December 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
We see Dhakaya as posh, and Sylheti slang
Is that the way you guys see it in your prespective??

Well if you want to analogise, then Sylheti would be sth like Glaswegian (the Dialect of Glasgow) and Standard Bangla as BBC English.

Dhakaiya is a separate dialect (?) of Bangla... which would be akin to East London Cockney.

Kabir
December 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
The problem with Bangla is that, barely any Bangladeshi speaks the language properly.

The regions we're talking about, they've adopted the language in their own way, and this has happened over hundreds of years. But the thing that surprises all is, even though everyone speaks differently, they all write shudho bangla. Speaking shudho bangla was the case until recently in natoks, but this is changing to bring these natoks to life I guess.

The ONLY other way of learning shudho Bangla, according to my understanding, is by watching Bangladeshi channels. Most importantly, watch Bangla news channels. They're available online, and can be accessed by anybody.

Arnab: I understand your argument. But guiding this boy to learn procholito Bangla ahead of his GCSE exams can be a bit of a disaster...he can't write "korsi khaisi ghumaisi" in his exam.

BanCricFan
December 12, 2007, 11:33 AM

And might I ask, why one can't regularly interact with the "educated" Bangla speaking people in -say- Kushtia, Khulna, Sylhet or Chittagong?

Thanks in advance.

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
I agree with you but the standard bengali is spoken in dhaka. other parts of bangaldesh has different dialects which are not standard.

Fazal
December 12, 2007, 11:42 AM
Mohsin,

Mohsin,

Thats a good idea. And if babuBangla is not available, then make DJ your next target. He knows Bangla a bit.

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
yeh, some1 phoned somewhere in Sylhet,
and a girl was speaking shuddo Bangla,
we thought it might be from Dhaka or somewhere,
but the girl was shikki, so anyone from anywhere
in Bangladesh can learn Dhakaya, not just in Dhaka or Kolkata.
... maybe I should come and live in Dhaka, rather than in London,
living in Bangladesh must be so relaxing and fun??!:smug:

BanCricFan
December 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with you but the standard bengali is spoken in dhaka. other parts of bangaldesh has different dialects which are not standard.

I think you're mistaken. Standard Bangla is spoken all over Bangladesh at an official or formal context. Dhaka has its own dialect- Dhakayya. It is in the north of Bangladesh (Kushtia/Joshuhor) that standard Bangla is more widely spoken.

Fazal

Yea living in Bangladesh is so relaxing and fun, you will live like a king and ride on an elephant...

http://homepage3.nifty.com/dcc-bd/zoo01.jpg
Hati mera Shati.

Tigers_eye
Yes, you should. It's more than relaxing and fun. I miss it so very much.

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:01 PM
what????????? ur totally wrong!!!!!!!!!! dhaka people speaks standard bangla. in sylhett people speaks sylhetti bengali. in chattagong people speaks chittagorian bengali. but dhaka people speaks the country's national standard bengali.

Orpheus
December 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
dhaka SUCKS
Sylhet RULES

end of discussion...

kono east nai, kono west nai... sylhet chai ami sylhet chai...sylheti furin aro shundor! mashallah!

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
sylhetti people are everywhere in east london.....

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
dhaka people rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! all my love to bangladesh but more love to dhaka

Murad
December 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Parisa, you born in Dhaka? or You just lived in there for few years before coming to the England?

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
Arnab: I understand your argument. But guiding this boy to learn procholito Bangla ahead of his GCSE exams can be a bit of a disaster...he can't write "korsi khaisi ghumaisi" in his exam.

No, but he can write [বাংলা]করছি, খেয়েছি, ঘুমিয়েছি, [/বাংলা]etc., which is what a guy learning shuddho cholito Bangla will write, which is what my suggestion was about?

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
honey i was born in dhaka....lived there for 10 years before coming to london......we go back there every year so my dhaka roots are still very strong.....i still feel like i'm straight from dhaka....not an ounce of british in me.....

Orpheus
December 12, 2007, 12:14 PM

Dhakai ase bosti
nai kono shosti
london e ache sylheti
kora jai prem preeti
ei ekta kahti shotti

sylheti furin zindabad..

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
And might I ask, why one can't regularly interact with the "educated" Bangla speaking people in -say- Kushtia, Khulna, Sylhet or Chittagong?

Thanks in advance.

One certainly can, but for maximum exposure to standard cholito Bangla, there's no better place than Dhaka. Dhaka is the cultural capital of the nation, there's plenty of cultural institutions in Dhaka that promote the use of shuddho cholito Bangla, and there will more occasions to regularly speak shuddho cholito Bangla there than any other place in the country.

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:16 PM
totally agree with arnab

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 12:18 PM
Dhakai ase bosti
nai kono shosti
london e ache sylheti
kora jai prem preeti
ei ekta kahti shotti

sylheti furin zindabad..

Oi hablu, tui nyc-te thaikka eto london london koros killaigga? Limey howar shokh hoise naki? :)

Orpheus
December 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
Oi hablu, tui nyc-te thaikka eto london london koros killaigga? Limey howar shokh hoise naki? :)

Tomader dhakar kotha barta eto baaje? chi chi lojja! Tumi ekta dori kine, golai badho tarpor dhamhaa dhamhaa koro.

Kabir
December 12, 2007, 12:25 PM
Tomader dhakar kotha barta eto baaje? chi chi lojja! Tumi ekta dori kine, golai badho tarpor dhamhaa dhamhaa koro.

:floor: :floor: :floor:
Can't stop....Arnab er, eto boro oshomman :floor:

Murad
December 12, 2007, 12:47 PM
honey i was born in dhaka....lived there for 10 years before coming to london......we go back there every year so my dhaka roots are still very strong.....i still feel like i'm straight from dhaka....not an ounce of british in me.....

Oh ic.
I asked you the question because here in new york, around 70% of the girls will say that they are from dhaka, which they are not. They lived there for several years and came here. Some of them are ashamed to say where they from.

To me, Dhaka is another immigrant city like New York/London/Toronto. Peoples from all around Bangladesh live in Dhaka. They came to Dhaka for jobs/business and settled there. I think the real dhakaiyas are the people from Puran Dhaka & Vikram Pur areas.

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:50 PM
you cant say that the real dhaka people are from puran dhaka...thats not true.....some people actually grew up there....they are real dhaka people as well.....i am really from dhaka......my birthplace was there....doesn't matter what u see dhaka as but the fact is that people who were born in dhaka are from dhaka....regardless of which part of dhaka they are from....cheers

Orpheus
December 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
you cant say that the real dhaka people are from puran dhaka...thats not true.....some people actually grew up there....they are real dhaka people as well.....i am really from dhaka......my birthplace was there....doesn't matter what u see dhaka as but the fact is that people who were born in dhaka are from dhaka....regardless of which part of dhaka they are from....cheers

your parents are Noakhailla aren't they? I have never seen anyone defending dhaka so passionately.... Relax ok! whether you are from dhaka or Lalshirir dhanshir fooler bagaan, you will be treated here as badly as anyone else. ok?

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
no i'm from mirpur...but also lived in dhanmondi.....aren't you doin the same as me? defending sylhet? with that poem of urs? i thought so....

Murad
December 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
no i'm from mirpur...but also lived in dhanmondi.....aren't you doin the same as me? defending sylhet? with that poem of urs? i thought so....

He's not from sylhet. He just having fun as he likes the sylheti furins a lot.

Tigers_eye
December 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
o maiya (orphy'rey) bhul bujiss naa!!

Pola ta asto bokhatey!!

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 01:02 PM
so why are you callin me a he?

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 01:04 PM

dhakay aiya lo hala... :)

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
:floor: :floor: :floor:
Can't stop....Arnab er, eto boro oshomman :floor:

eto dekhi biyar poreo baccha polar lahan kotha koy.

Murad
December 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
so why are you callin me a he?

Lolz. I didn't call you HE. You were replying Orpheus right? And I was talking about him.

Anyways lets forget it. I guess you are getting mad.

Cheers :)

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 01:07 PM
i'm sorry......i have a short temper...i get passionately angry about small things......i love a good argument.....

Murad
December 12, 2007, 01:11 PM
i'm sorry......i have a short temper...i get passionately angry about small things......i love a good argument.....

Its okay. Don't worry. Be happy :)

Keep posting.

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
ok lol...i plan to!

BanCricFan
December 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
Mamma mia!!! BC is colourful, indeed!

Keep'em comin!

East or West, London is da best!

BTW, amra hokkol Londoni.

RazabQ
December 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
Orphy [বাংলা]ভালা হইয়া যা ... ভালা হইতে পয়সা লাগেনা ...[/বাংলা].

Mohsin either watch NTV or start reading buddy.

Parisa - Mirpur is no place to brag about. It's Gangsta city! :)

Arnab - [বাংলা]এই ঢাকা কেন্দ্রিক মন মানসিকতা ছাড়ো[/বাংলা].

Final word on the GCSE Bangla O-Levels - being too good in Bangla is actually a hindrance for these exams. I have proof!

Parisa
December 12, 2007, 01:49 PM
sugar i aint braggin about mirpur....just satatin the fact....and anyway why not? thats exactly where i was born......shame the eveil men had to turn in into a gangster area....and by the way mirpur isn't a city.....

Arnab
December 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
Arnab - [বাংলা]এই ঢাকা কেন্দ্রিক মন মানসিকতা ছাড়ো[/বাংলা].

I am sorry. I have been reading a lot of Asterix recently and find the patriotism of the irreductible Galois very charming. That's why I am so passionately defending my city, just like Asterix and Obelix defend their petite village.

No, seriously, I wasn't being Dhaka-centric when I gave my suggestion. Remember, I mentioned Calcutta as well. It's a fact that these two are the only metropolises in the greater Bengali-speaking region and if one desires to learn shuddho cholito Bangla, there's no better place than these two. Now, that suggestion might not be the most pragmatic given moshin's location and immediate goal, but I was thinking long-term.

RazabQ
December 12, 2007, 03:25 PM
Funny - when I talk to my Kolkata friends, the ones of an [বাংলা]আতেল্[/বাংলা] bent i.e., they claim that they look to Dhaka/Bangladesh now as the flag-bearer of [বাংলা]বাংলা[/বাংলা] culture. And some of the best chords/lyics website for Bangla band songs are maintained by people from [বাংলা]ওপারের বাংলা[/বাংলা]. Makes sense given the hegemony of Hindi/English in India.

Are you reading the actual books or PDFs? I downloaded the entire TinTin set (cuz I couldn't find the books at B&N or Borders when I went looking for my kid), but haven't found Asterix yet.

Moon
December 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
How can one decide where they are from? I thought you go by ur grand parents root...I think we should all be thinking we are from the place where our grandparents had lived(dad's parents). That's where we r originally from...U can't tell u r american if u lived 10 to 15 yrs here...U r still bengali even though u r an American citizen. So for Parisa if ur grandparents are from Mirpur Dhaka then u call urself a dhakaia.....

zahid
December 12, 2007, 03:39 PM
Okkk...

to clarify....

EVERYONE IN BANGLADESH CAN SPEAK BANGLA !

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 03:41 PM
you guys...
we sylhetis and chittagonians have to learn your basha why?
why not try to learn our language for once please
you must feel the suffering we face, were isolated in a way..
by the way Sylhet rules:lol:.

RazabQ
December 12, 2007, 03:45 PM
Umm Mohsin - remind me again on which dialect you are giving the exam? :)

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
Parisa afa or api to u have you ever tried to speak Sylheti???
you will love the language, just imagine knowing two...languages.:smug:
#Sylhet.. Sylhet.. oh amar Sylhet tumare ami balafai!#

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 03:49 PM
Umm Mohsin - remind me again on which dialect you are giving the exam? :)
The language of Dhaka and Kolkata (so others say), well everyone's responces were very
good, many good ideas... maybe i'll visit Dhaka hopefully this holiday,
if there was a Sylheti exam i'll be most happy, it will be equal for all Bengali's dont you think
to learn everyone's basha? (by the way how duz Chittagonian differ from Dhaka n Sylhet I never herd it
before in my life how does it sound like does anyone know?)

Moon
December 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
We all speak Bangla but different districts has different accent....Just like over here we newyorkers make fun of people from south for their accent....

To all speak one language I don't think one area should judge another one...

Everyone has their own uniqueness. Period!!!!!!!

I am proud to say Both my grandparents and parents are from Noakhali
and that makes me a NOAKHAILLA.

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 04:14 PM
Can someone tell Kabir to apoligise, because
he had created a poll against me to stop, but this thread
has recieved so many responces, I demand an apology please, donobad.

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
We all speak Bangla but different districts has different accent....Just like over here we newyorkers make fun of people from south for their accent....

To all speak one language I don't think one area should judge another one...

Everyone has their own uniqueness. Period!!!!!!!

I am proud to say Both my grandparents and parents are from Noakhali
and that makes me a NOAKHAILLA.
Good for you Moon, you dont need to say you are Dhakaya if you dont come from
Dhaka! Good for you:D.

RazabQ
December 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
New Cali (aka Noa Khali) in the hizzyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! We ate Gandhi's goat and it tasted goooooooooood!!!!

Mohsin, it's Parisa apa (not Bhai) :)

ammark
December 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
See this is an interesting line

#Sylhet.. Sylhet.. oh amar Sylhet tumare ami balafai!#

In Standard Bangla it would be pronounced "Sylhet.. Sylhet.. oh amar Sylhet tomare (colloquial) ami Bhalo Pai. Not very different.

Except that saying "tomake ami Bhalo Pai" is a bit blasé and means literally "I find you to be good" instead of something more sentimentally evocative.

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
New Cali (aka Noa Khali) in the hizzyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! We ate Gandhi's goat and it tasted goooooooooood!!!!

Mohsin, it's Parisa apa (not Bhai) :)

oh!!!!! sorry sorry Parisa 'apa', welcome anywayz:wave:

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
See this is an interesting line

In Standard Bangla it would be pronounced "Sylhet.. Sylhet.. oh amar Sylhet tomare (colloquial) ami Bhalo Pai. Not very different.

Except that saying "tomake ami Bhalo Pai" is a bit blasé and means literally "I find you to be good" instead of something more sentimentally evocative.

very interesting, thats how I speak it though, I call a bed cloth, a 'lef' which is
quite different then others, I think I come from Sunamganj thats y,
Durgapasha - does any1 know wher that is ??

ammark
December 12, 2007, 05:27 PM
very interesting, thats how I speak it though, I call a bed cloth, a 'lef' which is
quite different then others

In Bangla a 'lep' is a duvet.

There's kombol too, which imo is a bit thinner, lighter but equivalent to a thick blanket.

and katha is a blanket.

Bed cloth would be "Bichhana'r chador"

Moshin
December 12, 2007, 05:29 PM
In Bangla a 'lep' is a duvet.

There's kombol too, which imo is a bit thinner, lighter but equivalent to a thick blanket.

and katha is a blanket.

Bed cloth would be "Bichhana'r chador"

You guys call a kombol a blanket :lol:, in Sylheti that means bum:-D

zahid
December 12, 2007, 08:42 PM
you guys...
we sylhetis and chittagonians have to learn your basha why?

Keep that attitude and you will never learn Bangla. :waiting:

AsifTheManRahman
December 12, 2007, 08:46 PM
I find this thread very entertaining.

al Furqaan
December 12, 2007, 09:46 PM
wait, ammar, can u actually speak sylheti???

Antora
December 13, 2007, 04:40 AM
OMG!!!! why is it when someone opens a thread about our language, that all of a sudden shyleti people say shyleti is a diff language? its not a DIFF! language!:mad: its BANGLA!:mad: just spoken differently! gosh!:mad:

btw....i was walking around Crown Casino the other day ( kool place in melb) and outside the casino they have these glass things with the names of countries where the immigrants of melb are from. When I came across BAngladesh they said our national language was Bangla and and.. and.. and...SHLETI:mad: WTF??!!

Antora
December 13, 2007, 05:18 AM
I mainly speak english to my friends, ::.

see that is our problem. We speak english with our mates when, if we try we can all speak bangla perfectly fine.I mean im not going to deny the fact that i also speak english with my bengali mates, but i think it doesnt hurt to speak in bangla. I know that most of us at home speak in our own dileac but i guess all bengalis need to know a standard bangla to communicate with bangladeshis from other parts of bangladesh or kolkata.
See when i used to live in South Africa all us kids used to communicate in bangla, as soon as i came to Aus i was shocked to see bengali kids talking in english with each other.
I mean yeah ofcourse we need to know english but we need to know Bangla too, early this year when i went to Bangladesh, i went to a fast food restuarant with my cousin, and next to our table sat some try hard western Bangladeshis who wear speaking in weird english with each other. I was shocked to see people in Dhaka talking english as a fashion these days.
I guess we only think about ekushey february when february arrives. All these people gave their life to save our language and what do we do? talk in english with our mates [when we are quite capable of speaking Bangla].. and talking english as a fashion wich really annoyed me in bangladesh! it was kinda funny though, becoz my cousin she went " oder english shuney money hoy bomi korey dei!" haha i cracked up laughing and they greased us off! lol

Anher
December 13, 2007, 06:39 AM
I think I come from Sunamganj thats y,
Durgapasha - does any1 know wher that is ??

Well i am from sunamganj town. Durgapasa...Umm....just remember heard it someday. I am quite sure its not a thana of sunamganj. where is it..where is it?? will let you know if find out.

Moshin
December 13, 2007, 08:21 AM
Well i am from sunamganj town. Durgapasa...Umm....just remember heard it someday. I am quite sure its not a thana of sunamganj. where is it..where is it?? will let you know if find out.

It is in the Sadar Upazilla, south east of it, next to Pagla check the Sunamganj map.

Moshin
December 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
Hey Guys finally, I have found a website where it provides good quality learning
They give you a set of words of cards and it is a really good software, words I never heard of Bangla, or if you want to learn Arabic or Hindi just download it for free, there's so many languages to choose from, so try it out guys : http://www.byki.com/

Arnab
December 13, 2007, 09:03 AM
Are you reading the actual books or PDFs? I downloaded the entire TinTin set (cuz I couldn't find the books at B&N or Borders when I went looking for my kid), but haven't found Asterix yet.

I am reading the actual books, in French. They are brilliantly written and makes many little references to the history and culture of that particular French region and the entire Europe at the time of Jules Cesar (as he is known in French).

rubel_18
December 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
see that is our problem. We speak english with our mates when, if we try we can all speak bangla perfectly fine.I mean im not going to deny the fact that i also speak english with my bengali mates, but i think it doesnt hurt to speak in bangla. I know that most of us at home speak in our own dileac but i guess all bengalis need to know a standard bangla to communicate with bangladeshis from other parts of bangladesh or kolkata.
See when i used to live in South Africa all us kids used to communicate in bangla, as soon as i came to Aus i was shocked to see bengali kids talking in english with each other.
I mean yeah ofcourse we need to know english but we need to know Bangla too, early this year when i went to Bangladesh, i went to a fast food restuarant with my cousin, and next to our table sat some try hard western Bangladeshis who wear speaking in weird english with each other. I was shocked to see people in Dhaka talking english as a fashion these days.
I guess we only think about ekushey february when february arrives. All these people gave their life to save our language and what do we do? talk in english with our mates [when we are quite capable of speaking Bangla].. and talking english as a fashion wich really annoyed me in bangladesh! it was kinda funny though, becoz my cousin she went " oder english shuney money hoy bomi korey dei!" haha i cracked up laughing and they greased us off! lol

True I get wat u mean but pretty much all my Bengali frends are Sylheti its hard for us to communicate with eachother thats the only reason y I dnt spk Bangla with them and its not just that like sum words I mite not know how to say in Bangla so therefore easier for me to spk English

al Furqaan
December 13, 2007, 11:07 AM

over here in the US, we never speak bangla...unless its to say "shada manush amar kase pagol mone hoi"

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 11:44 AM
over here in the US, we never speak bangla...unless its to say "shada manush amar kase pagol mone hoi"

That's so true.
The only family that I know of who has successfully retained their mothertongue is my wife's family. They all (including cousins) communicate in their mother tongue at home...English outside.

That day I was at a grocery, where out of nowhere two other Bangali men came in for meat. They were trying so hard to speak English...and communicated the whole while in English. The only time they spoke Bangla was when one of them asked the koshai (a Bangladeshi man) "ki bhai...aijga ki line e kharaite hoibo? ami khub besto manush, president ami...amare to tara tari service dewon lagbo".

Me and my wife were rolling on the floor, laughing.

cricket_dorshok
December 13, 2007, 11:58 AM

That's so true.
The only family that I know of who has successfully retained their mothertongue is my wife's family. They all (including cousins) communicate in their mother tongue at home...English outside.

That day I was at a grocery, where out of nowhere two other Bangali men came in for meat. They were trying so hard to speak English...and communicated the whole while in English. The only time they spoke Bangla was when one of them asked the koshai (a Bangladeshi man) "ki bhai...aijga ki line e kharaite hoibo? ami khub besto manush, president ami...amare to tara tari service dewon lagbo".

Me and my wife were rolling on the floor, laughing.
I never found any two Bangladeshi people speak local language in Europe although they use some local words in their conversation. But the kids who born here speak the local language among themselves.

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
I never found any two Bangladeshi people speak local language in Europe although they use some local words in their conversation. But the kids who born here speak the local language among themselves.

May be the weather in Europe allows that...it snows too much in Canada to allow foreign language.

Kidding :)

Bengaliprince176
December 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
lol its quite funny just an hour ago after gym, my sylethi friend said he needed foisha for his bus, and i was in a winding up mood, so i said, foisha, eta foisha ki? he gave me a look, "money!" so i just said its poisha u t***! he just told me to f*** off!! LOL

lol so i dont think its a problem for us its mainly banglish slang anyway. we only swear in bangla to annoy others hehehehe (though in truth they are mainly Sylethi swear words, filthy language...:-p ;) j/k!!

RazabQ
December 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
Regardless of what the others are doing, we should do our best to speak in Bangla where applicable. Al, to your example, [বাংলা]আমি যে সব বাঙালিদের সাথে আড্ডা মাড়ি, তার ইংরেজিতে বলুক কি না, আমি বাংলায় জবাব দেই.[/বাংলা] And I force my kiddo to do the same; which to his credit, Mashallah he does well. I think Antora has said it best. It is ours - we've made a lot of sacrifices for it and we have a lot of rich history behind it. We should use it when we can.

RazabQ
December 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
I am reading the actual books, in French.Nice ... [বাংলা]শালা আবার ফরাসি ভাষাও পাড়ে - বেশি বেশি [/বাংলা]superachieving! :)

Arnab
December 13, 2007, 04:35 PM
Nice ... [বাংলা]শালা আবার ফরাসি ভাষাও পাড়ে - বেশি বেশি [/বাংলা]superachieving! :)

Erm, add rudimentary German, Spanish, and Russian to that as well.

RazabQ
December 13, 2007, 04:38 PM
No wonder ego[বাংলা]টা এত বড়ো[/বাংলা] :)

Arnab
December 13, 2007, 04:40 PM
No wonder ego[বাংলা]টা এত বড়ো[/বাংলা] :)

Not healthy, though. Causes all sorts of problems in real life.

Orpheus
December 13, 2007, 05:10 PM
Not healthy, though. Causes all sorts of problems in real life.

Ego boro kintu onno kichu choto = onek problem
Ego boro aar onno kichu boro = Mashallah.. boro boro party
Ego choto + onno kichu boro = impossible
Ego choto + onno kichu choto = CALL CHRIS HANSEN.

Nocturnal
December 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
antora- very well said :)

Orpheus
December 13, 2007, 05:44 PM
Erm, add rudimentary German, Spanish, and Russian to that as well.

Arnab bhai, Dhaka te french boila maiya potan... Gaali diya aula zaula koira falan... chemrigula mone korbo.. bhalobashar kotha boltachen....ki moja...

but ekta warning dei, polader shathe bolben na...Keno ekta udaharon dei...dhoren koichen: "bonjour"
Kew mone korbo koichen ben-c***. Apnere dhoira dibo maair... ekdom naak fataiya falaibo... shei bhanga naak niya jodi arekjon re greeting den.. sha shunbo "van chor" - aar beta jodi shotti chor hoi... dibo golai chakku maira... ekhon to apnar voice e problem....aar chinta korlen.. ekhon innocent chot choto bachader greetings diben..mair thika bachar jonno.. ora shunbo ..."bandhor"... tarpor marbo itaa.... shei itar thada kahiya... apnar matha hoiya jaibo fada... shei fada math niya doctor e diben greeting...doctor koibo "brain jhor? yes yes ektu jhore lagche ahare"... apne chinta kortachen.. dhuru.. French e futami marte giya morar dorkar nai....bangla koi... to doctor e daklen "dada bachbo naki'.. doctor shunbo "gadhar baccha naki"... tokhon to doctor koibo... gadhar baccha keda tore buzaitachi... marbo ekta injection pachai....hoiyajaben lengra....

to be continued... after another 6 hours :)

Arnab
December 13, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ego boro kintu onno kichu choto = onek problem
Ego boro aar onno kichu boro = Mashallah.. boro boro party
Ego choto + onno kichu boro = impossible
Ego choto + onno kichu choto = CALL CHRIS HANSEN.

Onno kichu of course onek boro and powerful.

Arnab
December 13, 2007, 05:48 PM
Arnab bhai, Dhaka te french boila maiya potan... Gaali diya aula zaula koira falan... chemrigula mone korbo.. bhalobashar kotha boltachen....ki moja...

I tried that recently. Turned out the girl was the daughter of some diplomat and was born in Paris...

but ekta warning dei, polader shathe bolben na...Keno ekta udaharon dei...dhoren koichen: "bonjour"
Kew mone korbo koichen ben-c***. Apnere dhoira dibo maair... ekdom naak fataiya falaibo... shei bhanga naak niya jodi arekjon re greeting den.. sha shunbo "van chor" - aar beta jodi shotti chor hoi... dibo golai chakku maira... ekhon to apnar voice e problem....aar chinta korlen.. ekhon innocent chot choto bachader greetings diben..mair thika bachar jonno.. ora shunbo ..."bandhor"... tarpor marbo itaa.... shei itar thada kahiya... apnar matha hoiya jaibo fada... shei fada math niya doctor e diben greeting...doctor koibo "brain jhor? yes yes ektu jhore lagche ahare"... apne chinta kortachen.. dhuru.. French e futami marte giya morar dorkar nai....bangla koi... to doctor e daklen "dada bachbo naki'.. doctor shunbo "gadhar baccha naki"... tokhon to doctor koibo... gadhar baccha keda tore buzaitachi... marbo ekta injection pachai....hoiyajaben lengra....

You must pull a lot of chicks.

zahid
December 13, 2007, 06:37 PM

Na, Orphy eshob koira ekhon lengra to ... tai..... :-D

Moshin
December 14, 2007, 06:47 AM
In the UK, people talk a mixture of both English and Bengali,
they aren't ashamed of it, and if you dont, they question you
whether you are a Bengali or not, normally in school or outside
boys in a bunch of group as a 'gang' speak Sylheti as if it is 'cool'
and they are proud of thier language, so Bengali is quite strong over here
compared to the US and other countries, plus many english people now understand
Bengali and most of the time they speak it to us (a lot of them know so many Bengali cusses), so Bengali is sort of a 'cool' language in the England.

Parisa
December 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
english people in the uk are familiar with sylhetti bangla.....esp in london......

Parisa
December 14, 2007, 11:04 AM
why cant i get access to the chatroom?

Moshin
December 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
english people in the uk are familiar with sylhetti bangla.....esp in london......
yeh, but they dont know it is a dialect of Bangla, by the way why arent
there many Dhakaya's in London:confused:, maybe u shud tel people 2 cme:)

Parisa
December 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
u know i myself don't know why there aren't many dhaka people in uk....when i lived in dhaka i saw it as a normal city......when i came here and saw that the majority of bengali people are sylhetti i was surprised...i was even more surprised at the way they treat dhaka people and their perception of dhaka....

this friction between sylhet and dhaka should stop.....i mean its bangladesh at the end of the day.....doesn't matter if one is the capital and the other is not....but honestly speaking i find sylhetti people slightly rude

moshin i didnt know u lived in london.....

Moshin
December 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
u know i myself don't know why there aren't many dhaka people in uk....when i lived in dhaka i saw it as a normal city......when i came here and saw that the majority of bengali people are sylhetti i was surprised...i was even more surprised at the way they treat dhaka people and their perception of dhaka....
yeah i have to admit, we do really see you guys as different,
dhaka people seem to have more of a bengali culture within them,
with the way they dress and everything, if we see a lady wearing
a serwa kamiz without scarf, we will definetly know they are Dhakaya.

Parisa
December 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
it true what u said.....sylhetti people are seen wearing a scarf normally...but most women in dhaka don't wear a scarf......and its not just that....the lifestyles are totally different.....i had to get used to with it myself....

Moshin
December 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
but honestly speaking i find sylhetti people slightly rude
now, how are we rude we are nicest people there is in the community,
you must watch Bengali TV dont you, they speak shuddo even though the majority
are Sylheti, we still respect the main language. by the way how are we rude?

Parisa
December 14, 2007, 11:35 AM
i find sylhetti people aggressive....most don't know any manners.....and they always assume i'm sylhetti...they start talkin to me in the street like i'm their property.....and when i can't reply back in sylhetti they get offended.....like everyone is supposed to be from sylhet.

Moshin
December 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
i find sylhetti people aggressive....most don't know any manners.....and they always assume i'm sylhetti...they start talkin to me in the street like i'm their property.....and when i can't reply back in sylhetti they get offended.....like everyone is supposed to be from sylhet.
you see thats why, it is better to know both basha's if u know what i mean,
it will make your london bengali life much easier, i mean we understand your
basha and we reply back in Dhakaya if they speak Dhakaya, sylheti isnt really hard to understand, so might as well learn Sylheti...?

Parisa
December 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
i wouldn't mind learnin sylhetti.....i wouldn't mind learnin any other dialects from bangladesh.....its just the attitude of sylhetti people i can't stand.....eps the ones from east london.....

DJ Sahastra
December 14, 2007, 12:43 PM

My instincts tell me that this is wicked!

Now this is something i really wanna understand. looks like some cool stuff in there!

I am gonna give it a try this weekend to see how much and what sense i can make.

Long live such Bangla Posters!

"Kew mone korbo koichen ben-c***. Apnere dhoira dibo maair... ekdom naak fataiya falaibo" :D

"marbo ekta injection pachai....hoiyajaben lengra...." -> classic :D

Beamer
December 14, 2007, 01:00 PM
I am reading the actual books, in French. They are brilliantly written and makes many little references to the history and culture of that particular French region and the entire Europe at the time of Jules Cesar (as he is known in French).

Asterix is simply brilliant. I believe the region is in the French islands of Corsica ( Sardinia is the sister island ) during the Roman occupation. My fav character is Cacofonix ( right spelling? ) the bard...

zahid
December 14, 2007, 03:46 PM
Asterix is simply brilliant. I believe the region is in the French islands of Corsica ( Sardinia is the sister island ) during the Roman occupation. My fav character is Cacofonix ( right spelling? ) the bard...

Mine is Obelix :-D

ammark
December 14, 2007, 04:20 PM

Sorry. Asterix and their charming Gaulish Village is from/in Bretagne (Brittany) in North-western France if I remember correctly. Its one of the "older" parts of France where the people have Celtic roots (as in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and pre-Norman England) and in those areas they still speak a Celtic language there (Breton). :)

Saw a guy wearing a black T-shirt today. White print in the front side, of Tintin facing the venerable Wang Chen Yee at the tea house. And on the backside it had the opposite direction, Wang Chen Yee with the tea bowl facing Tintin. - Scene from the Blue Lotus, one of my favourites. I want that T-shirt now :-|.

Arnab
December 14, 2007, 04:29 PM

The region is Britanny (or Bretagne), in the north-wester corner of France. Asterix and his co-villagers are Celtic Gauls.

http://scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_terror/images/asterix_small_1.jpg

Cacofonix must be the English name of the singer character. The Original French name is Assurancetourix.

layperson
December 14, 2007, 08:22 PM

:floor::floor: classic orpheus post !!!! Laughed like crazy after a long while.

Orpheus
December 15, 2007, 12:22 AM
Arrey na! my case is "jaar jeita nai sha sheita niya beshi lafai...."

I was going through one of those non-stop 36 hours activity with lots of Red bull consumption... Had to take a break.. the bull was kicking. I still haven't slept (apart from a two 15-20 mins power nap, and somehow not sleepy anymore...)

shahriar: Laughed like crazy after a long while.

I am glad someone enjoyed it. To tell you the truth, I kinda wanna know what happens to that lengra also...should have came back after six hours to finish it.

Orpheus
December 15, 2007, 12:25 AM
Oi amar sylhet bashi:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42914996

kharap na.. demo gula shuno.. 'Laal-e kene koilo" is pretty well done. (not lyrics wise)

well now that I listen to it again, lyrics ta initailly kharap chilo na.. but lost me there on republican party and all bengali being democrats.. LOL maane ki?

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 11:14 AM
Oi amar sylhet bashi:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42914996

kharap na.. demo gula shuno.. 'Laal-e kene koilo" is pretty well done. (not lyrics wise)

well now that I listen to it again, lyrics ta initailly kharap chilo na.. but lost me there on republican party and all bengali being democrats.. LOL maane ki?

lol nice page u got there, but i cant seem to play that sylheti song:-/

Orpheus
December 15, 2007, 12:07 PM
lol nice page u got there, but i cant seem to play that sylheti song:-/

tumi ki bodhai?

use the embedded player.... and it's the page of the sylheti rap group

edit: Ok maybe you don't have flash/shock wave plugin in your computer.. that could be the reason.

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 12:11 PM
tumi ki bodhai?

use the embedded player.... and it's the page of the sylheti rap group

edit: Ok maybe you don't have flash/shock wave plugin in your computer.. that could be the reason.
yeh i just herd it now, nice song they have made, 'oh amrar sylheti gaan gai'
what a wierd song that is, are they a real group or somthin?

Orpheus
December 15, 2007, 12:31 PM
are they a real group or somthin?

yup looks like real group...laal miah has a really nice rap voice...

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
yup looks like real group...laal miah has a really nice rap voice...
yeh he the guy sure has a nice voice, u know anymore sylheti bands?

Orpheus
December 15, 2007, 12:49 PM
well the most popular bangladeshi rap bands are of sylhet origin.... also many habib's songs are in sylheti also...I can't recall their name from top of my head now....

anyways, I think this thread need a counter rap for sylhet rap with some dhaka love:
Ck out
Stoic Bliss: http://stoicbliss.com/sb/media.html (abar Jigay) - I think parisha will love this one.

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 01:08 PM
nice tunes man, like that one 'abar jigay' re-mix of english and dhakaya init,
lik it because it got some english flavour as well.

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 01:58 PM
but i quite like asif's songs, even though i dont understand it!

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 02:27 PM
does anyone know what happened to him???
to doesnt make any good songs these days now, what a shame!

imani
January 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
this is like tha funniest thread ever u gys r jkers!!!

ammark
January 11, 2008, 01:39 PM
this is like tha funniest thread ever u gys r jkers!!!

And your spelling stinks to the point that its beyond being fun. Get it Fixed!

Moshin
January 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
why does someone have to dig up everything all the time???

shaad
January 11, 2008, 04:30 PM

Arnab and Mohsin, sorry for the rather belated response, but I believe NYC has a Bangla-speaking club, where novice Bangla speakers can carry on conversations with native Bangla speakers and gain fluency. I don't know if other big cities have similar institutions.

I'd also like to plug Radice's Teach Yourself Bengali. My (bideshi) wife used that rather effectively to learn to read, write, and speak Bangla.

Orpheus
January 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'd also like to plug Radice's Teach Yourself Bengali. My (bideshi) wife used that rather effectively to learn to read, write, and speak Bangla.

I logged in just to put a flag here :flag::flag::flag: Shaad makes Bangladesh proud.

Moshin
January 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
Arnab and Mohsin, sorry for the rather belated response, but I believe NYC has a Bangla-speaking club, where novice Bangla speakers can carry on conversations with native Bangla speakers and gain fluency. I don't know if other big cities have similar institutions.
I dont think London has one of these 'Bengali speaking clubs' like in New York, the elderly people are the main people who still speak Bengali mostly during conversations, I have to admit many people who have moved into London have not yet fully gained knowledge of the English language, many need translaters during many times as far as I have witnessed, but we (young) try to teach English though at home, which is a good step but I think it is a good thing to keep the main language in roots for the future/:)

shaad
September 4, 2008, 12:15 AM
Congrats, grippler!