PDA

View Full Version : Honor Killing?

Ganguly da
December 13, 2007, 02:21 AM
Does this qualify as honor killing?

A 16 yr old canadian pakistani girl strangled to death by her own father for not wearing headscarf and not following tradition muslim custom.

All over the news

link: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/12/12/canada.headscarf.ap/index.html

goru
December 13, 2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I read about this earlier... seems more like a dad who just lost control and went too far...

RazabQ
December 13, 2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah, most stories are saying the headscarf thing may be an over-simplification at best and use of teen-agers reaction to sensationalize at worst. My heart goes out to the young girl who met such an untimely death.

Murad
December 13, 2007, 03:06 AM
The main truth hasn't come out yet. There's something else in this case which no one knows yet. Only the friends saying about the hijab thing but no one else saying anything. There must be some hidden truth about the murder.

ammark
December 13, 2007, 04:17 AM
no murder/homicide/whatever-term-you-want-to-use can be justified. If the dad went too far, it shouldnt absolve him for overreacting and causing death.

Beshi Islami hoite giye nijer meyeke khun! Only possible by such overzealous P.....s.

rubel_18
December 13, 2007, 11:09 AM
What her father did wasnt rite, thats the problem with sum ppl they go over the top and instead of doin the rite thing they do wrong. At the end of the day its the gals choice to wear hijab or not u cant force it otherwise no point as it has to come out of their own will. My duas to her so sad she died so early in her life.

Rabz
December 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
There is absolutely no honour in killing someone...
This two words should never go side by side....

It look like there is more to the story than what is published.

Sad end to a young life.

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
There's honor killing everywhere in the world, with India topping the list.
The only reason it's so obvious in the case of Muslims is because even educated Muslims sometimes get involved in it, and do it while at home and away; while the gaiya bhoots of India don't get any media recognition as they do it in their homeland. The only good thing about the Indians that I've seen is, they don't do these crap outside home. In fact, most of the Indians that go abroad, they go there to change their lifestyle...it's not true for the Muslims in many cases.

Murad
December 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
There's honor killing in middle east too. If a girl is found to be not virgin (husbands asked to get the virginity blood by a white handkerchief in their wedding night), the parents kill her. And no court give them any punishment as they say its a honor killing.

One of my professor from college told me. She's from some arab countries. She said it happens in most of the arab countries.

BanCricFan
December 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
Beshi Islami hoite giye nijer meyeke khun! Only possible by such overzealous P....s.

Needs mods action!!! Perhaps, its evaded the watchful eyes of the mods here!

BanCricFan
December 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
There is absolutely no honour in killing someone...
This two words should never go side by side....

Exactly. Just like "sati dhaho protha"!

Beamer
December 13, 2007, 12:46 PM

A 16 yr old canadian pakistani girl strangled to death by her own father for not wearing headscarf and not following tradition muslim custom.

All over the news

Aren't you quite the moral authority these days! Its fine as long as your are consistent, but, you are not ,and have noticed your eagerness to muddy the water at every chance you get. You bring in the irrelevant Dawood-Miandad thing in the other thread. Now, you open this thread to get some more fun, though in both cases, the subjects are Indian and Pakistani, and not sure what relevance it has in the context of Bangladesh, unless you think Muslims are a homogeneous entity. You care to discuss about Modi anywhere ? Yes, I think, he is a terrorist ( one who terrorizes innocent people ) just as Dawood. Or, how about your own Govt. Sachar Committee report? I doubt you will. In any case, they are your problems and you see no one is worried about opening threads that is unrelated to us. Don't try to be too clever and mask your subtle bias. There are many clever and smart people here who can see right through your lot.

ammark
December 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
Here's (http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/285180) the Toronto Star's take on this.

Needs mods action!!! Perhaps, its evaded the watchful eyes of the mods here!

Cant help it. Rexdale or Donlands... some people are really hardcore in Toronto. and no its not limited to people from one national origin only, but others too.

Bengaliprince176
December 13, 2007, 02:14 PM
Aren't you quite the moral authority these days! Its fine as long as your are consistent, but, you are not ,and have noticed your eagerness to muddy the water at every chance you get. You bring in the irrelevant Dawood-Miandad thing in the other thread. Now, you open this thread to get some more fun, though in both cases, the subjects are Indian and Pakistani, and not sure what relevance it has in the context of Bangladesh, unless you think Muslims are a homogeneous entity. You care to discuss about Modi anywhere ? Yes, I think, he is a terrorist ( one who terrorizes innocent people ) just as Dawood. Or, how about your own Govt. Sachar Committee report? I doubt you will. In any case, they are your problems and you see no one is worried about opening threads that is unrelated to us. Don't try to be too clever and mask your subtle bias. There are many clever and smart people here who can see right through your lot.

whats up with u?? lol someone annoyed, this is an forget cricket forum, and any thread can be opened, how bout u look at the replies written by others, if u dont like this then dont comment.

this is a sad issue, and its not just Pakistanis or Muslims, this happens wiith uneductaed fools and happens in India as well.

rubel_18
December 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
whats up with u?? lol someone annoyed, this is an forget cricket forum, and any thread can be opened, how bout u look at the replies written by others, if u dont like this then dont comment.

this is a sad issue, and its not just Pakistanis or Muslims, this happens wiith uneductaed fools and happens in India as well.

Ye exactly BP, calm down bhaiya he was only informing us off still some uneducated fools in asia that think their so called "dignity" will be gone if their daughter isnt wearing hijab according this incident wat a stupid guy. I feel like telling them hu gives a damn wat other ppl will think and this shows wat that man must hav thought wen he done this injustice act of his.

Ganguly da
December 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
My point is how do you shove down your religious beliefs on your children and threaten them to follow it...give the person freedom to choose what's best for them. It's a human nature to rebel when one is forced into it. The story was also talking about in details how the girl was being followed by her brother everywhere, making sure she is wearing the scarf and all that.

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 02:54 PM
Aren't you quite the moral authority these days! Its fine as long as your are consistent, but, you are not ,and have noticed your eagerness to muddy the water at every chance you get....

Couldn't have said that better myself.

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 02:57 PM
Beshi Islami hoite giye nijer meyeke khun! Only possible by such overzealous P.....s.

Very stereotypical Ammar. I wouldn't expect that from a mod.

Ganguly da
December 13, 2007, 03:05 PM

How can you possibly muddy the water if it's already muddied in the 1st place. You choose to ignore it based on your biasness. I choose to report it, simple as that.

You want to discuss Modi(if he's a terrorist, then so is BNP), open a new thread(if that's your way of pointing finger at 'my people').... I have awesome replies to give and about everything else you pointed out. There are several threads on this part of the forum that is unrelated to "you"....it's all about awareness; Ie: Tsunami, earthquake in pakistan, flooding in europe, US politics

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 03:46 PM

Get your facts right.

She was killed for not wearing hijab, which is NOT a traditional Muslim custom. None of my family members wear hijab, and they're still Muslim.

And to add to that, do some research before posting any news. She was gone from the house a week before she was killed, which made her dad lose his mind. If it was only about wearing hijab, she would've been dead 2/3 months ago, according to your definition.

BanCricFan
December 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
"Does this qualify as honor killing"

Very savvy spin to a brutal domestic violence involving a fanatic/psychopath, indeed!

Should try your hand at a local right-wing tabloid daily! I think you may have a "journalistic" talent.

Beamer
December 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
How can you possibly muddy the water if it's already muddied in the 1st place. You choose to ignore it based on your biasness. I choose to report it, simple as that.

You want to discuss Modi(if he's a terrorist, then so is BNP), open a new thread(if that's your way of pointing finger at 'my people').... I have awesome replies to give and about everything else you pointed out. There are several threads on this part of the forum that is unrelated to "you"....it's all about awareness; Ie: Tsunami, earthquake in pakistan, flooding in europe, US politics

Sounds like someone is watching too much Fux News ! I report..bla bla..

The message in itself is not the issue, its the messenger, which will be "YOU", that I and so many have issues with. Its solely about you and how you take subtle shots at people of particular faith which shows your inherent bias. I am not the one going out opening threads discussing Modi or whoever. He is irrelevant to us, but only pointed out, since you have taken the moral authority to notify us about the news from Canada, which by the way is so irrelevant to us. Guy is a crazy dad. What do you want us to do? Take ownership of his rigidness simply because we are of same faith?

Modi- 'my people' says a lot about you and where you stand. I condemn Dawood, UBL, Modi, Pol pot, Burmese junta etc etc --terrorists of all stripe. Obviously not you, since, your guys ideology of Hindutva fascism suits you. You have been exposed.

Stand in front of your mirror and give your awesome replies to yourself, or even better, get outta here and go trolling on rediff..

Kabir
December 13, 2007, 04:06 PM

Ever heard of Google or Wikipedia? Or isn't it available from your part of the world?

Honor killing refers to killings due to sexual relationships, not dress codes. Too hard to understand? Here, check this out.

An honor killing is the murder of a victim (almost always a female) by, or at the behest of, close family members with the aim of undoing the loss, or perceived loss, of wider family status owing to the actions or status of the victim. Victims are usually killed for actions seen to be sexually immodest. While honour killing is widespread among rural Muslim tribes in Pakistan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan) and various Arab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab) countries, it is much rarer in the Muslim communities of Malaysia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia) and Indonesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia). It had also occurred among Sikh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh) adherents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing

Honor killing is done in British Columbia...a VERY common feature. By who? By a few INDIANS. So what? Did we open a thread here for them too?

Blindness puts people in alert mode. In your case, it may have put you in a dumb mode.

BanCricFan
December 13, 2007, 04:37 PM
It seems like Qurbani has arrived a few days early!

RazabQ
December 13, 2007, 04:39 PM
Ok - I don't see this thread going anywhere but down. Temporarily locking it down - Mod