PDA

View Full Version : Bengali cooking

Parisa
December 15, 2007, 11:23 AM
I desperately want to learn how to cook asian food....more specifically bengali food.....i want to learn quickly so my mum and other people don't mock me for not being able to cook asian food being a bengali girl...

Rommel
December 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
Well i guess you might want to start with rice. It is very easy! All you do is buy some rice and put it into the ricecooker!

Kabir
December 15, 2007, 11:45 AM
Well i guess you might want to start with rice. It is very easy! All you do is buy some rice and put it into the ricecooker!

Pani ki para protibeshi eshe dhaila dibe naki?

damalChele
December 15, 2007, 11:48 AM
Why dont you marry a bengali chef instead? You won't have to cook for the rest of your life.

Parisa
December 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
Why dont you marry a bengali chef instead? You won't have to cook for the rest of your life.

lol marry a bengali chef! i wanted to marry masharafe morataza LOL.......but ummmm bengali guys want atraditional woman....u know who can cook, clean etc.....and i'm not a house girl....at all.....i think its about time i changed.....learned to be more asian....

sandpiper
December 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
well, you should collect the Siddika Kabir's guide at first (if you can read Bangla). It contains A to Z of Bangladeshi cooking.

you can also visit these sites.

http://www.senskitchen.com/
http://www.khanapinaa.com/
http://milonee.net/bengali_recipes/list.html

Dont worry, cooking is all about practice :)

Parisa
December 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
well, you should get the Siddika Kabir's guide at first. It contains A to Z of Bangladeshi cooking.

you can also visit these sites.

http://www.senskitchen.com/
http://www.khanapinaa.com/
http://milonee.net/bengali_recipes/list.html

Dont worry, cooking is all about practice :)

Thank you thank you! well learning to cook in secret would definitely surprise my mum....!

Moshin
December 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
just watch your mum cook while she's cookin and
note down all the ingredients, thats how i learnt how 2 cook
im planning to open my own restaraunt down bangla town.

Parisa
December 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
just watch your mum cook while she's cookin and
note down all the ingredients, thats how i learnt how 2 cook

my mum is the worst explainer....she gets frustrated really quickly.....i have no intention of learning how to cook from her...ur opening a restaurant in bangla town? i live in east london....maybe i'll pop down there lol

Orpheus
December 15, 2007, 12:14 PM
well, you should collect the Siddika Kabir's guide at first

man i love siddika kabir's show on NTv.. I could watch it for hours..that host makes me want to cook really..

damalChele
December 15, 2007, 07:10 PM
lol marry a bengali chef! i wanted to marry masharafe morataza LOL.......but ummmm bengali guys want atraditional woman....u know who can cook, clean etc.....and i'm not a house girl....at all.....i think its about time i changed.....learned to be more asian....

Thats not entirely true. Not all Bengali guys are the same unless of course you are a guy living in BD. Time has changed my friend. Now we guys want to cook for our women, possibly even wash their feet. Jokes aside, cooking is a home making skill. If you don't acquire enough of it, your husband shouldnt think any less of you. Your conjugal life shouldn't revolve around cooking. Sure it helps, if either of you know how to cook. You can save money on take aways. Sure it helps, if there's women touch involved in your dish. For some reasons, the food is blimin delicious. (Think of your mom).
Seriously though, there's a whole lot out there out side of those curry smelled brick walls.

What you should be more worried about is that whether he has a job or not. If he doesn't then learn how to make alu borta and daal with some mango pickle.

RazabQ
December 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
Parisa, do a search in FC, over time a number of us - layperson, Orphy, Dr. Z, myself have posted some of our recipes. Do a search for the word recipe perhaps?

Cooking is fun. Hopefully your future husband will like to cook so you can both enjoy :)

Parisa
December 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
Thats not entirely true. Not all Bengali guys are the same unless of course you are a guy living in BD. Time has changed my friend. Now we guys want to cook for our women, possibly even wash their feet. Jokes aside, cooking is a home making skill. If you don't acquire enough of it, your husband shouldnt think any less of you. Your conjugal life shouldn't revolve around cooking. Sure it helps, if either of you know how to cook. You can save money on take aways. Sure it helps, if there's women touch involved in your dish. For some reasons, the food is blimin delicious. (Think of your mom).
Seriously though, there's a whole lot out there out side of those curry smelled brick walls.

What you should be more worried about is that whether he has a job or not. If he doesn't then learn how to make alu borta and daal with some mango pickle.

thats a nice thing to hear coming from a man.....i didnt think men thought that way...thought they liked the traditional women.....but i guess equality for both the woman and the man is what makes a relationship work smoothly.....the founation of a marraige is love not whether the woman can cook or whether the man can drive!

Zunaid
December 15, 2007, 07:17 PM
Try some links from VB:

Do visit our guide to some Bengali restaurants and tasty Bangladeshi recipes (http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/recipes/index.html).

damalChele
December 15, 2007, 07:31 PM
thats a nice thing to hear coming from a man.....i didnt think men thought that way...thought they liked the traditional women.....but i guess equality for both the woman and the man is what makes a relationship work smoothly.....the founation of a marraige is love not whether the woman can cook or whether the man can drive!

Of course there are a lot of ingredients (excuse the pun) for any relationship. Mutual respect, trust and compromise. You get them right, surely you'll make a delicious wife.:)

Moshin
December 16, 2007, 07:01 AM
I think this website might work out for your curry: http://www.indianfoodforever.com/bengali/

Parisa
December 16, 2007, 07:24 AM
I think this website might work out for your curry: http://www.indianfoodforever.com/bengali/

what are ur favourite foods?

Moshin
December 16, 2007, 07:31 AM
i just found the website, i have never heard of these recipies before,
dont think they are bangladeshi, they use milk in thier curry???

Omio
December 16, 2007, 08:03 AM

Hey I can cook rice and chicken...:)
so u can think about me.;)

Parisa
December 16, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hey I can cook rice and chicken...:)
so u can think about me.;)

rice and chicken aint good enough for me sweetie!!!!!!!!! i need the whole package!

Omio
December 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
rice and chicken aint good enough for me sweetie!!!!!!!!! i need the whole package!
I can do whtever u want,,:)
Rica
Dal
Dimvaji
Tunavaji..

Parisa
December 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
Rica
Dal
Dimvaji
Tunavaji..

mmmm ur talkin better LOL.....

Arnab
December 16, 2007, 06:49 PM

What the...? You, my friend, are purush jatir kolonko! Damal Chele my foot. More like shantoshishto lejbishishto androgen.

Parisa
December 16, 2007, 06:52 PM
What the...? You, my friend, are purush jatir kolonko! Damal Chele my foot. More like shantoshishto lejbishishto androgen.

what you don't agree with damalchele?

zahid
December 16, 2007, 07:18 PM
Rica
Dal
Dimvaji
Tunavaji..

Omio, tui vaag to.

Parisa, listen to me instead.

I can cook
Rice
Tuna bhaji
Dim bhaji ( 3 styles )
Aloo bhorta
Dimer Torkari
Fusili
Noodles

:-D

Parisa
December 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
Omio, tui vaag to.

I can cook
Rice
Tuna bhaji
Dim bhaji ( 3 styles )
Aloo bhorta
Dimer Torkari
Fusili
Noodles

is this a bengali cooking competition now?!

sandpiper
December 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
lol... ekhane ki suru hoilo ?? :D

Nafis_BD
December 16, 2007, 09:41 PM
is this a bengali cooking competition now?!

I had the same question!! Bondhu tey bondhu tey ekhon lorai ke pabe khonti ar ke pabe korai??

BTW welcome to bc Parisa apu, enjoy your stayn at BC and I am sure you wouldn't want to leave(atleast untill the competition is over)!!

PoorFan
December 17, 2007, 12:11 AM

Priceless!!!

<!--StartFragment -->Yeah, try cooking some nuclear dishes, we need a well cooker president for coming days.

tonoy
December 17, 2007, 01:57 AM
mei manosh purush der kaj theke ranna shikhche? chi chi lojja.

Antora
December 17, 2007, 02:29 AM
hahaha lmao! another funy thread!

Antora
December 17, 2007, 02:30 AM
mei manosh purush der kaj theke ranna shikhche? chi chi lojja.

whats so bad about that? I thought most chefs were guys:-|

Omio
December 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
Omio, tui vaag to.

I can cook
Rice
Tuna bhaji
Dim bhaji ( 3 styles )
Aloo bhorta
Dimer Torkari
Fusili
Noodles

ja sala, tor theke ami 1ta besi jani..okay..:saint:

Parisa
December 17, 2007, 11:13 AM
I had the same question!! Bondhu tey bondhu tey ekhon lorai ke pabe khonti ar ke pabe korai??

BTW welcome to bc Parisa apu, enjoy your stayn at BC and I am sure you wouldn't want to leave(atleast untill the competition is over)!!

thank you! yes i do plan to stay to here...i always get kicked out of chatrooms or forms but with banglacricket i plan to stay on my best behaviour...to enjoy this competition lol!

Fazal
December 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
I have a feeling Parisa is over weight... little bit nadus nudus... otherwise why she talks too much about food... its a no no conversation for girls.

Parisa
December 17, 2007, 12:06 PM
I have a feeling Parisa is over weight... little bit nadus nudus... otherwise why she talks too much about food... its a no no conversation for girls.

u wanna see a pic of me? then u say say whether or not i'm overweight. i'm very slim! the total opposite..and don't be so sexiest FAZAL....

Miraz
December 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
In awards thread.. (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=576566&postcount=41)

Sexiest poster <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> there should definitely be a sexiest poster category- male and female! that would be so cool!

sexiest poster <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> i meant there should be a sexiest poster category to spice things up in here and the way to select people for this category is by judging the posts they send not by their pics.....

In this thread...
u wanna see a pic of me? then u say say whether or not i'm overweight. i'm very slim! the total opposite..and don't be so sexiest FAZAL....

So, have you found the sexiest poster of the year ? :)

Parisa
December 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
yeah i have found one that fits in the category! what about you?

Fazal
December 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
From comedian to sexiest... what is next? Allahee Janey...

Omio
December 17, 2007, 12:54 PM
From comedian to sexiest... what is next? Allahee Janey...
next......
Father of 11 kid.:)

Tigers_eye
December 17, 2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=15560&highlight=recipe
This should be more than enough.

RazabQ
December 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hmm this is fast becoming a dating thread ... I think I'll steer clear :)

Orpheus
December 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hmm this is fast becoming a dating thread ... I think I'll steer clear :)

razab bhai trying to get brownie points from his wife.. we all know she reads this forum.. LOL

RazabQ
December 17, 2007, 06:30 PM
with the 2nd li'l guy around she doesn't have time for it :)

Miraz
December 17, 2007, 06:34 PM
with the 2nd li'l guy around she doesn't have time for it :)

In that case, are you in charge of cooking?

and BTW is it Bengali cooking? :D

damalChele
December 17, 2007, 07:28 PM

:lol: It all boils down to how much we men value our women. In BD, girls are taught to take care of their husband because under husbands feet lies their heaven. This is pure bullDung. No where in Islam says that. Moreover, in islam both men and women have equal rights. Women shouldn't be treated like an object. Marrying them just for cooking :lol: doesn't make any sense. You might as well marry a kajer bua instead. You want to marry a woman who you can have a relationship with and share the responsibilities of family life. To think that they should be confined within the kitchen walls where it suits them is shallow. Circumstances sometimes force men to cook. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make him any less of a Man.

Arnab
December 17, 2007, 09:04 PM
Oh please...

PoorFan
December 17, 2007, 09:15 PM
Nice to see Arnab getting ( usual?, rare? ) baby-sitting.:)

Ganguly da
December 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
I desperately want to learn how to cook asian food....more specifically bengali food.....i want to learn quickly so my mum and other people don't mock me for not being able to cook asian food being a bengali girl...

quick bengali vegetarian food:

step 1: Add rice and peeled potatos and egg to rice cooker, then add water and put the lid on and turn the on switch

step 2: wait 25 mins and the light to turn yellow from red (which means its done)

step 3: take the boiled potato, boiled egg, add chopped onions, mayonaise, salt and some pepper and mix it with your hand (egg salad)

step 4: on a separate pan, quickly fry up some chopped potatoes (alu bhaja) w/ salt/pepper

Step 5: serve it hot with egg salad and rice.....great college food that's easy to make.

Parisa
December 18, 2007, 10:14 AM
:lol: It all boils down to how much we men value our women. In BD, girls are taught to take care of their husband because under husbands feet lies their heaven. This is pure bullDung. No where in Islam says that. Moreover, in islam both men and women have equal rights. Women shouldn't be treated like an object. Marrying them just for cooking :lol: doesn't make any sense. You might as well marry a kajer bua instead. You want to marry a woman who you can have a relationship with and share the responsibilities of family life. To think that they should be confined within the kitchen walls where it suits them is shallow. Circumstances sometimes force men to cook. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make him any less of a Man.

ANY WOMAN THAT YOU MARRY IS A LUCKY ONE!!

Fazal
December 18, 2007, 12:39 PM
The Best and easy Deshi Food is (for summer)

- Cold Panta Bhat ( easy to prepare)
- Dim Bhaji (easy to cook)
- Bashi Daal ( its not that hard to cook)
- Alu Bhorta ( it take take time, but not hard to prepare)
- Piazz
- Bhaja Chatgaiyaa Lal Morich

... ahhh .... in hot summer eat those and them take a nap.

Arnab
December 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
ANY WOMAN THAT YOU MARRY IS A LUCKY ONE!!

There you go Parisa. You have finally found your man, who is willing to cook for you day and night. Now let's see if you two lovebirds can get a room... :)

Bengaliprince176
December 18, 2007, 01:49 PM
i dont want to leave my ileesh in the hands of sum1 else to be cooked!!! i wanna know how to cook it myself!! of course i will allow my thama to cook it, if she is around...damn im hungry...

Nafis_BD
December 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
Learning how to cook is really useful. I am learning some stuff from my mom day by day as I don't want to eat take-out every day, sure they taste great most of the time but if I eat it too much then I will never want to eat them again. I will post some of my mom's recipes later on. Believe it or not I have created some of my own recipes. Who knows someday my recipe might become famous you know!!

Bengaliprince176
December 18, 2007, 05:47 PM
Learning how to cook is really useful. I am learning some stuff from my mom day by day as I don't want to eat take-out every day, sure they taste great most of the time but if I eat it too much then I will never want to eat them again. I will post some of my mom's recipes later on. Believe it or not I have created some of my own recipes. Who knows someday my recipe might become famous you know!!

bro im sure it will be tasty!! u must cook it one day and it will be famous!! its good to see u enjoy cookin!!

damalChele
December 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
There you go Parisa. You have finally found your man, who is willing to cook for you day and night. Now let's see if you two lovebirds can get a room... :)

Looks like I am not the only man here who likes a bit of cooking. :-p Arnab I think you should have opened this thread:lol:

Arnab
December 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
I have nothing against cooking. I think it's an important activity. But girls already have it covered and they're already quite good at it by doing it for generations. No need to complicate stuff. :)

zahid
December 18, 2007, 07:30 PM

Arnab bhai, ami thaktey eshob ki kon?

shaad
December 18, 2007, 08:06 PM
What I've noticed about many of us probashe Bangladeshi lads who came abroad for college is that very few of us used to know how to cook, being in general our mothers' chokher moni, kolijir tukra, etc., i.e. spoiled brats, who only went into the ranna-ghor to sneak a sample from the dishes being prepared.

And initially, what with the cafeteria and fast food outlets available, this wasn't an issue. But time passes, and then you start getting nostalgic about your mother's bhajis, bhortas, machh bhajas and jhoals. You know that the tripe served in "Indian" restaurants is just that, items that Westerners might find exotic, but not at all satisfactory to any discerning Bengali palate, so the next time you go home on vacation, you watch your mother cooking and you try to take notes. And you fail, because she's one of those old school chefs who cook by instinct, not using measuring spoons or cups, gauging just the right amount of salt or spices to add as if by magic. So you buy some of Siddiqua Kabir's books and take them back with you. And you practice, and you experiment, and you buy yet more books. And because you are a perfectionist, at least when it comes to Bengali cuisine, you improve, you get better and better. You develop your own cooking instinct, knowing, as if by a sixth sense, what to add where, and when. No, you are never going to be able to cook like your mother, but your cooking is good nevertheless -- it has a style and flavour all its own, it's recognizably Bengali, and it's adored by all your friends.

So Parisa, if the boys nowadays are anything like those of my generation, you don't have anything to worry about: they're likely to be excellent chefs themselves. Still, it's a good skill-set to acquire. Siddiqua Kabir has some books In English (if you aren't that comfortable with recipes written in Bengali). Now, I personally think she goes overboard on the amount of salt, but that's just my personal opinion.

RazabQ
December 19, 2007, 02:42 AM
Shaad bhai - you nailed it. Mostly - about how we guys have become cook. I suspect my motivation for cooking is a little different though. Growing up in the middle east, I saw many an argument between the parents end with a capitulation by my dad because he was hungry and needed some home-cooking :) So at a very early age I resolved that if/when I got married, I'd not give my partner that kind of automatic upper-hand :) The fact that I actually enjoy is just a nice bonus :)

RazabQ
December 19, 2007, 02:43 AM
Arnab probably cooks 4 meals a day and is secretly ashamed of it ...

Parisa
December 19, 2007, 07:24 AM
[So Parisa, if the boys nowadays are anything like those of my generation, you don't have anything to worry about: they're likely to be excellent chefs themselves. Still, it's a good skill-set to acquire. Siddiqua Kabir has some books In English (if you aren't that comfortable with recipes written in Bengali). Now, I personally think she goes overboard on the amount of salt, but that's just my personal opinion.[/quote]

its just nice to see more equality thats all....

damalChele
December 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
I have nothing against cooking. I think it's an important activity. But girls already have it covered and they're already quite good at it by doing it for generations. No need to complicate stuff. :)

For generations men have been better at cooking than women. Think of all the chefs in the world who earns a living by cooking.

Moshin
December 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
For generations men have been better at cooking than women. Think of all the chefs in the world who earns a living by cooking.
Unlucky for the women, why cant women think of having a career as a 'chef'
you'll see in every Bengali house there is a woman cooking in the kitchen,
but why cant she cook in those restaraunts, so much cooking talents are
being wasted within these beautiful women, who are cooking because of
thier husbands, damn husbands no common sence:-P. (I will never let my wife
cook on her own, we will share the love of food in the kitchen between us.)
If you are a husband please forgive me.;)

Parisa
December 19, 2007, 03:30 PM

thats such a cute message and true as well:D:D

Arnab
December 19, 2007, 03:32 PM
Arnab probably cooks 4 meals a day and is secretly ashamed of it ...

My cooking sucks. I tried it a few times, it was worse than the worst cafeteria food I ate.

Arnab
December 19, 2007, 03:35 PM

That's not homely food. That's business. There's no love attached to that kind of food.

Parisa
December 19, 2007, 03:38 PM
That's not homely food. That's business. There's no love attached to that kind of food.

what are you talkin about? what has that got to do with love? its about men cooking and overtaking women.

Arnab
December 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
what are you talkin about? what has that got to do with love? its about men cooking and overtaking women.

Absolutely. I think women who are good cooks should stand up for themselves and start cooking for their household and show off their power immediately. They have to defend their territory.

RazabQ
December 19, 2007, 05:01 PM
My cooking sucks. I tried it a few times, it was worse than the worst cafeteria food I ate.aaah, did you try talking to your ingredients? did you cook with love? such things matter you know ... :)

Arnab
December 19, 2007, 05:33 PM
aaah, did you try talking to your ingredients? did you cook with love? such things matter you know ... :)

Oh please, what man does that? I can't even remember to put the toilet seat down, and you expect me to talk to cooking ingredients and wait in front of an oven?

I make money and bring food, the girl cooks it, we eat it together. That's how it should go ideally.

Moshin
December 19, 2007, 06:15 PM
Oh please, what man does that? I can't even remember to put the toilet seat down, and you expect me to talk to cooking ingredients and wait in front of an oven?

I make money and bring food, the girl cooks it, we eat it together. That's how it should go ideally.
:floor::floor::floor: haha a typical bengali person!

Antora
December 19, 2007, 06:24 PM

awwwwwwwwww.. thats soo cute! hehehe

damalChele
December 19, 2007, 06:58 PM

Some of the well known chefs cook with a lot of passion. Switch on your TV sometimes and watch some cooking progs. These people made a career out of cooking for years. You think they just cook for the sake of it? Watch Jamie Oliver, Gordon ramsey, Ainsley Harris and many more. These guys love being in the kitchen.

Arnab
December 19, 2007, 07:13 PM
Well, I switch on my TV and usually go for the sports channels (these days it's mostly tennis), or occasionally the news channels.

Parisa
December 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
good to know most guys can cook in here.....

Alien
December 19, 2007, 07:35 PM

Does Mashrafe know how to cook the whole package?

Parisa
December 19, 2007, 07:37 PM
Does Mashrafe know how to cook the whole package?

LMAO LAMO yes ofcourse baby mash knows how to cook the whole package!!! unfortunately he dosn't cook it for me.

zahid
December 19, 2007, 08:47 PM
Ajkal Forget Cricketer thread dekhey money kisu proshno asey

1. mohsin ki nafis_bd er same age?
2. Parisa ki asholei 19?

Parisa
December 19, 2007, 08:48 PM
Ajkal Forget Cricketer thread dekhey money kisu proshno asey

1. mohsin ki nafis_bd er same age?
2. Parisa ki asholei 19?

i'm 19. what shall i do to prove it?

RazabQ
December 20, 2007, 06:01 AM
Arnab has been watching Becker reruns and you guys are feeding him ....

Parisa, spend more time on the recipe thread me thinks... this has fast become a faijlami thread :)

Parisa
December 20, 2007, 10:32 AM
Arnab has been watching Becker reruns and you guys are feeding him ....

Parisa, spend more time on the recipe thread me thinks... this has fast become a faijlami thread :)

i think so too....but my question has been answered now so no point poking in the recipe thread.

damalChele
December 20, 2007, 02:13 PM
i'm 19. what shall i do to prove it?

Zahid has a age verification mobile phone. It could confirm your age. :floor:

zahid
December 20, 2007, 06:50 PM
Zahid has a age verification mobile phone. It could confirm your age. :floor:

Actually amar roomey DNA Testing er lab asey :D