PDA

View Full Version : Rohingya Muslims

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
I was watching a video of the Rohingya Muslims on YouTube, these people are the Muslims of Burma, they dont recognise them as citizens of Burma, and many of them were killed mainly in Arakan, which borders Bangladesh and Burma.
These people are then forced to migrate to the muslim-Bangladesh, but
they are not welcomed enough by the government and many of them
live in terrible conditions near Cox's Bazar, I think the government should
accept them, because they are Muslims and speak Chittagonian, but they
dont accept them so let them live in mud huts, if they dont want them to
live in Bangladesh, then I think Bangladesh should then take action against
Burma, because they are trying to move them away from Burma into Bangladesh,
and so many have been killed, for just being Muslim, so I think we should
we should accept them as Bangladeshis, if not take action then.
Watch the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9kIP-tU89QA

Kabir
December 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
These people are then forced to migrate to the muslim-Bangladesh

Not true.

many of them live in terrible conditions near Cox's Bazar

I thought it's Rangamati and Bandorban? I could be wrong.

On the topic:

Rohingas (regardless of whether they are Muslims or not) are one certain tribe in Bangladesh that are not given enough attention. It's for fact that they are living in terrible conditions, specially due to the government's inability to handle the situation correctly.

Nobody in this world should live without citizenship as refugees. If the other country can't deal with them, and they're already in your country, you can probably make things better (rather than worse) by allowing them to have education and employment.

I am for the Rohinga citizenship in Bangladesh.

Parisa
December 18, 2007, 03:15 PM
chukma people....yes they are bengalis tooo..... agree with kabir

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/9kIP-tU89QA&amprel=1[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 03:20 PM
...but same as always no comment from Bangladesh
(wish we were more tougher than ever!)

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
The soldiers put bodies front the people as a warning,
meaning dont come back. Thier intention is obviously
'get out of Burma, flee to Bangladesh' this then forces
them to flee from thier country

Tigers_eye
December 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
Let's invade Burma!! In the name of democracy...

Murad
December 18, 2007, 03:40 PM
who are the rohingas? the chakma people?

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 04:30 PM
Let's invade Burma!! In the name of democracy...
i agree its time to take some action...im ready!!!

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
do you guys know them as the 'chakma people' what does that mean
boy really is true, no one gives a damn bout them by looking at this poll
what is so bad about the rohingya people????

Fazal
December 18, 2007, 06:58 PM
no one gives a damn bout them by looking at this poll
what is so bad about the rohingya people????

I guess their Bojka Naak ...I am just guessing here

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 06:59 PM
I guess their Bojka Naak ...I am just guessing here
can someone tell me what a bojka naak is i am clueless with my bengali

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 07:18 PM
oh.. big nose... man that is cruel dude! just 4 tat ?

Parisa
December 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
can someone tell me what a bojka naak is i am clueless with my bengali

big nose

Parisa
December 18, 2007, 07:21 PM
bent nose

Moshin
December 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
they dont accept them because they got bent nose...
....thats a bit out of order i think

Sauron
December 18, 2007, 10:59 PM
then I think Bangladesh should then take action against
Burma, because they are trying to move them away from Burma into Bangladesh,
and so many have been killed, for just being Muslim, so I think we should
we should accept them as Bangladeshis, if not take action then.
Watch the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9kIP-tU89QA

Who let such a lowest common denominator get bestowed with BC membership??? Ooops. Forgot that BC doesn't discriminate.

al Furqaan
December 18, 2007, 11:55 PM
to be honest, they do look like they are bengalis (i.e they are brown not yellow, AFAIK) and as such they would "belong" in bangladesh more so than in myanmar.

perhaps it is wrong for them to kick them out on account of religion...but maybe they don't belong there in the first place.

at any rate bangaldesh gov and OIC should take the lead to alleviate their plight. the day you depend on a non muslim to get you your bread, is the day you look to others to set you free or to give you commands.

Sohel
December 19, 2007, 01:01 AM
There are Bangladeshi Rohingyas and Rakhaines (now registered voters) in Chittagong and Pauakhali among other places, and there are Arakanese-Myanmarese Rohingyia and Rakhaine refugees, I think we should remember that and adhere to our obligations - obligations to our citizens and refugees alike - as per all of the relevant UN resolutions we are a party to as a nation.

That said, the cultural, historic and linguistic connection between Arakan and Chittagong and parts of Noakhali make it difficult to distinguish the two separate groups. Even today, there are many Bengalis from Chittagong and Noakhali still living in Akiab, Arakan.

PoorFan
December 19, 2007, 02:25 AM
Quote from 'Nuke' thread ...

Would it be a good thing for Bangladesh to start making Nuclear Weapons, maybe in the future some time we might be attacked by, who's our enemy... i dunno... uh maybe Burma, i mean they are displacing all Rohingya Muslims to Chittagong, but why are we still friends with them I do not know. Bangladesh has not yet signed anything to say they are a Nuclear Umbrella state, so will there be any doubts that they might start producing nuclear activities in the near future, i dunno should we or not, i mean if we do, the world wouldn't really see us as a threat to the regions???

Are ... did you just change your policy in a over night? Why you talking so stingy here? Just cook some 'nuke' in your kitchen ( restaurant ) and throw it in Burma from BD border to clean it up real cleeeaaan. So that those Muslim Rohingya will be pleased for ever for the entire land to lived in. Why talk of a mere national card, citigenship which brings nothing, but a honorable label of 3rd world most poorest and corrupted country in this world?

Didn't I told you to learn Bangla first? so that you can dream in Bangla every night, to wake up every morning and open new threads with consistent as well as interesting thoughts? Seriously, think about it brother.

ammark
December 19, 2007, 02:56 AM
I was watching a program a few weeks ago on CNN about Rohingyas, and their conditions at Tal Camp, in Teknaf. To Clarify, the Rohingya refugees speak their own Rakhine dialect and their language is written in the burmese script. Their spoken language is not Chittagonian.

From a number of sources, my understanding is that the Rohingya refugees, whether in Myanmar or Bangladesh, are one of the most abused people, like other minorities. The Police, government, local bengalis all extort a lot of from these refugees, and deprive them in many ways... they do not have the sensitivity to treat them with dignity and respect.

Many Rohingya refugees have left Tal Camp and have settled the sparesely populated areas in Bandarban and Rangamati for a better life. A lot of them also work as stone gatherers in Jaflong, Sylhet. There, they also work in oppressive minimum wage conditions, but are treated with prejudice and disrespect.

To say that they should be given Bangladeshi citizenship is a very noble gesture, but the mentality of Bangladeshis must change and be embracing of these other people. A As it is, we have a hard time with Chakma citizens (a tribe in the Hill Tracts with predominantly Mongoloid features), Biharis, etc.

Sohel
December 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm no expert but from what I've heard I found Chittagonian and Rakhine languages not the same but very similar, especially in sound like Russian and Ukranian. Not surprising given centuries old ties between Chittagong and Akiab ... :)

Here's a bit from Wikipedia: -

Chittagong has been a seaport since ancient times. Arabs traded with the port from the 9th century AD. The Chittagong region was under the kingdom of Arakan during the sixth and seventh centuries. Before Muslim rule, Chittagong had been either under the control of the Arakans or under the kings of Burma. Sultan Fakruddin Mubarak Shah of Sonargaon conquered Chittagong in 1340. After the defeat of Sultan Giasuddin Mahmud Shah in the hands of Sher Shah in1538, the Arakanese again captured Chittagong. From this time onward until its conquest by the Mughals this region was under the control of the Portuguese and the Magh pirates. The Mughal Commandar Bujurg Umed Khan expelled the Portuguese from the area in 1666 and established Mughal rule there. The Mughals renamed Chittagong as Islamabad.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chittagong)

Rohingyas are migrants from southeastern regions in neighbouring Bengal, in a process that started before the British colonial era, but accelerated during this time. Their linguistic and cultural similarity with the Chittagonian people is often cited as evidence for this. U Nu's democratic administration also did recognize them and there was a Radio Programme for Rohingya ...

The Rohingya language is an eastern Indic language of the Indo-European family. It is mutually intelligible with Chittagonian, the language of southeastern Bangladesh and is related to Bengali, which is spoken in neighboring Bangladesh and India. The language has many loan-words from Urdu, Persian, Hindi, Bangla, and Arabic, although some words from Bamar and English are also included. The Rohingya language used to be written using the Arabic script for more than 300 years, however, there has been a successful effort to write it using Roman script, known as Rohingyalish which has been recently recognized by ISO with ISO 639-3 "rhg" code ...

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya)

On a different note, quoting from Wiki (according to some) makes me a semi-literate, pseudo-intellectual wannabe, I say so be it ... :)

Moshin
December 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
Quote from 'Nuke' thread ...

Are ... did you just change your policy in a over night? Why you talking so stingy here? Just cook some 'nuke' in your kitchen ( restaurant ) and throw it in Burma from BD border to clean it up real cleeeaaan. So that those Muslim Rohingya will be pleased for ever for the entire land to lived in.
:floor::floor::floor: i would if only i knew how to make them, if someone told me
i would go and make it right know and send it off to Burma...wait..wait the
CIA or watever will find this, end of discussion of nuc's.:wave:

Sauron
December 19, 2007, 01:55 PM
To say that they should be given Bangladeshi citizenship is a very noble gesture, but the mentality of Bangladeshis must change and be embracing of these other people.

I agree with this completely. The kindness should not be based on just the fact that they are muslims ... it should be a natural response to their plight.

In reality though, I am not sure that the citizenship will automatically guarantee any alleviation of their misery. What BD needs to do is to get UNHCR very actively involved and get the relief passed on to the intended recipients without any system loss.

Or another option can be - just take them a few miles to the north and push them into India. Given that India does "push-back" from our western border fequently, can't we get some entropy restored by reciprocating "push-back" on our eastern border? ;)

Moshin
December 19, 2007, 03:50 PM
Or another option can be - just take them a few miles to the north and push them into India. Given that India does "push-back" from our western border fequently, can't we get some entropy restored by reciprocating "push-back" on our eastern border? ;)
I dont think that plan will really work,
You really think that they want another group of displaced people in
thier lands, they already got the Bihari's, I dont think they
want the the Rohingya's in thier land, if people are
in between the border of thier ethnic group like the Rohingya's,
they will not be accepted in any country, as you can see the
current situation in south-east Bangladesh.

Moshin
December 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
only 6 votes? please people these people are dying
because of kicked out of thier country just for
being muslims, and they are being treated like dirt in bangladesh
atleast have some sympathy for these poor people!!!

Kabir
December 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
Can you tell how our votes are likely to change the lives of the Rohingas? What can you do to make the governments realize that BanglaCricket members think that Rohingas should not be treated badly?

al Furqaan
December 20, 2007, 02:17 PM
I was watching a program a few weeks ago on CNN about Rohingyas, and their conditions at Tal Camp, in Teknaf. To Clarify, the Rohingya refugees speak their own Rakhine dialect and their language is written in the burmese script. Their spoken language is not Chittagonian.

From a number of sources, my understanding is that the Rohingya refugees, whether in Myanmar or Bangladesh, are one of the most abused people, like other minorities. The Police, government, local bengalis all extort a lot of from these refugees, and deprive them in many ways... they do not have the sensitivity to treat them with dignity and respect.

Many Rohingya refugees have left Tal Camp and have settled the sparesely populated areas in Bandarban and Rangamati for a better life. A lot of them also work as stone gatherers in Jaflong, Sylhet. There, they also work in oppressive minimum wage conditions, but are treated with prejudice and disrespect.

To say that they should be given Bangladeshi citizenship is a very noble gesture, but the mentality of Bangladeshis must change and be embracing of these other people. A As it is, we have a hard time with Chakma citizens (a tribe in the Hill Tracts with predominantly Mongoloid features), Biharis, etc.

so looks like we act in a very "west pakistani" way when it comes to your fellow non-bengali muslims...

sad.

ammark
December 20, 2007, 02:25 PM
only 6 votes? please people these people are dying
because of kicked out of thier country just for
being muslims, and they are being treated like dirt in bangladesh
atleast have some sympathy for these poor people!!!

What about all the low caste Hindus in Bangladesh, whose homes get torched for not sharing your faith? Do you care about what happens to them? Or are they not human enough or deserving of our sympathy and respect? Or of the poor farmers affected by Monga every year and coming to beg in the streets of Dhaka every winter. Or the ones limping to the cars at the traffic signals, that everyone turns a blind eye to, and robotically says "maaf koren" to. If its a child then its even more in vogue to shout, yell and hit them for not carrying your bag from school, right?!

Oppression in Bangladesh isnt limited to just one segment. The Rohingyas are just one of the many faces of the oppressed.

Specifically about Rohingya refugees, the legalistic/international-law perspective is that if Bangladesh accepts them as citizens, these people will probably lose their right to and claim to their past, possessions and life in Myanmar; something they still continue to aspire and hope for... return to the homeland.

PoorFan
December 21, 2007, 01:56 AM
What about all the low caste Hindus in Bangladesh, whose homes get torched for not sharing your faith? Do you care about what happens to them? Or are they not human enough or deserving of our sympathy and respect? Or of the poor farmers affected by Monga every year and coming to beg in the streets of Dhaka every winter. Or the ones limping to the cars at the traffic signals, that everyone turns a blind eye to, and robotically says "maaf koren" to. If its a child then its even more in vogue to shout, yell and hit them for not carrying your bag from school, right?!

Oppression in Bangladesh isnt limited to just one segment. The Rohingyas are just one of the many faces of the oppressed.

Specifically about Rohingya refugees, the legalistic/international-law perspective is that if Bangladesh accepts them as citizens, these people will probably lose their right to and claim to their past, possessions and life in Myanmar; something they still continue to aspire and hope for... return to the homeland.
<!--StartFragment -->Great answer, only if he pick up the message right.:up:

Moshin
December 21, 2007, 07:36 AM

What do you expect me to do, make threads for every single problem there is,
atleast i made a thread about the rohingyas, if you are so concerned about the
hindus being killed or the lower cast people then maybe you should start a
thread of your choice, dont expect me to have sympathy for everything and
make a thread out of it, yes we must have sympathy for those people but, at the end
of the day talking about displaced people in here doesnt really make a difference does it.