PDA

View Full Version : Transport system in Dhaka. Worst in the world at present?

WarWolf
December 22, 2007, 12:22 AM
Dhaka was known as the city of mosques a while years back. Now it's known "the city of traffic jams". Probably having the worst transport system in the region, Dhaka is getting worse each day. Lack of circular or under-ground railway gives no option for cheap, fast and convenient mass transport. Most of roads are very narrow and insufficient in numbers. No express way or lack of planned flyovers makes movement in dhaka by road a nightmare.

To me, the biggest nightmare is to be trapped in jam in front of the PM's office. you can stuck up there for hours and hours without any progress; specially during the evening.

Tilottoma Dhaka'r transport system er ei ki shonir dosha !!!!

WarWolf
December 22, 2007, 01:03 AM
http://www.asmat.cz/img/fotky_velke/1295_v.jpg
Buses blocking roads

http://meenar71.tripod.com/photo/image_pieces/bangladesh/rickshaw_jam.jpg

Rickshaws creating jam

http://www.geocities.com/jaffor/articles/dd/Foto_5.jpg
Very Long jam in very narrow main roads

http://www.sos-arsenic.net/images/dhaka_traffic6.jpg
Where is the end of this pain?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Bangladesh/mohalhaliflyover8.jpg
Jam-even over flyover

http://bp1.blogger.com/_ZPf1HUBNpK4/RjY9g1GCjMI/AAAAAAAACII/_Rvc-x3NGuM/s320/1942.jpg
Unplanned rail crossing in the city; another big reason for jam

Ahmed_B
December 22, 2007, 01:11 AM
It is pretty bad.. true that. But 'worst in the world' is a strong thing to say buddy. Dont you think? :)

ammark
December 22, 2007, 01:37 AM
Dui paaye haati. No complaints :)

Personally I think the traffic in BD has improved a lot... especially Dhanmondi - almost 'jamless' every time I've been there. Banani and Gulshan has gotten worse, but if you're willing to walk and take a rick through the emptier inner streets, then its no problem getting around.

Airport Road is extremely crowded with buses compared to when I left, and thats the annoying part. The flip side being there are more buses taking you from Ashulia/Tongi down to the city.

WarWolf
December 22, 2007, 01:57 AM
It is pretty bad.. true that. But 'worst in the world' is a strong thing to say buddy. Dont you think? :)
Yep. You are correct. But Dhaka is a mega city. We may say that the traffic jam in dhaka is worst among the mega cities in the world.

Rabz
December 22, 2007, 09:47 AM
Dhaka's traffic is indeed one of the worst in the world, compared to its counterparts around the world.Dhaka is a megacity capital, infact, Dhaka is the fastest growing megacity in the world; a fact stated by World Bank.

The problem is not about the roads, but the management of its traffic.
I'd like to think the roads of Dhaka,except the Old town, is quite broad enough to accomodate its vehicles of all forms.

But the problem lies on its management.
If you have 3 different forms of vehicles on the road.

First, there is the ultra slow manually paddled Rickshaw driven by people who have very little knowledge of traffic laws.

On the next lane, you have the 2 stroke engine CNG auto rick-shaw.

Then you have the last one. The private cars and Bus.

It gets very hard to manage all these three forms in one road.
[ will elaborate later].

Lots of discussions going around about the construction of Subway, flyovers etc.

Im really hoping this govt will initiate, atleast, the work of subway in the city.

As far as i know, a 52 km long subway is under planning which the govt is interested to start construction by late 2008.

Lets see what happens.

Special 1
December 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
get the useless army and bdr our of dhaka. everythign will be fine.

I mean a person who wants to travel from mirpur to gulshan has to come all the way to rangs bhaban, and then go back to gulshan. Its just stupid.

Second thing is to give one bus company the rights to have busroutes in Dhaka rather than 25-30 that exist.

third get the bus stations and train stations out of Dhaka.

no need for subway and **** at this point. Its expensive and god knows what will happen during floods.

Rabz
December 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
no need for subway and **** at this point. Its expensive and god knows what will happen during floods.

From what i can understand, the only way we can even think of a viable transportation system in dhaka is to have a subway.

....and while on the the topic.....

coincidentally, news just in Channel i, just means while im writing as of now, ...
the subway is waiting for its final approval.
If approved, it will go ahead with the construction this coming june.

Beamer
December 22, 2007, 02:26 PM
Our lack of civic sense and indifferent attitude to traffic laws are a crucial factor as well. You can build all kinds of roads, highways, overpasses, flyovers, but nothing will change unless people change their mindset first.

ammark
December 22, 2007, 03:16 PM
Our lack of civic sense and indifferent attitude to traffic laws are a crucial factor as well. You can build all kinds of roads, highways, overpasses, flyovers, but nothing will change unless people change their mindset first.

As in NOT doing the following things??

- driving with high beam on at night
- straddling both lanes, but staying entirely on one
- actually obeying traffic lights
- Turning onto another street by driving in the side of the oncoming traffic (wrong-way)
- turning right from the right side lane, leaving centre lane for going straight and not cutting them off from the leftmost lane just coz you want to go right.
- turning left from the left side lane, leaving centre lane for going straight and not cutting them off from the rightmost lane just coz you want to go left.
- Pedestrians deciding not to run all of a sudden when walking across the street at a uniform pace
- Rickshaws and CNGs not hogging up the inside (fast) lanes
- Buses actually going right by the pavement to load and unload passengers instead of stopping dead in the middle of the road, just because it requires a bit of time and effort to turn and get back onto the right lane!
- Driving in the wrong way, just because it lets you avoid the jam in front, or gets you to your destination earlier

Sorry to say, these rules are increasingly being ignored by the new breed of chauffeurs. The one time I cuss like crazy is while driving amidst such mofos.

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 04:41 PM

both helps beamer...both works side by side.....a well created road will be nothin without a sharp mind...

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
doesnt dhaka have underground train stations like london???

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 04:52 PM
This is how an underground looks like...{{it underneath the ground}} with so many different lines and zones of where trains go...dont tell me bangladesh doesnt have 1? man if they had one of these, the transport system will be fixed!!!!http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/photos/blogger_london_underground.jpg

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
what station is that? monument?

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:02 PM
i have no idea what station it is, just some random pic
nwayz parisa you must know ur from dhaka, are there any
underground stations there?

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 06:03 PM

there are train stations but as far as im concerned there aren't any UNDERGROUND station......

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:05 PM
well...if they did, the transport in the street will lower down,
much better for the enviroment, less polution in dhaka
by the way i dont think the people can handle it, too crowded
in dhaka, the trains might bust at some point, but they do need it!

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
well...if they did, the transport in the street will lower down,
much better for the enviroment, less polution in dhaka
by the way i dont think the people can handle it, too crowded
in dhaka, the trains might bust at some point, but they do need it!

its very expensive to make underground stations....they need money..and now most money is bein spent on Sidr cyclone victims.....

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:14 PM
oh yeah... well hopefully in the future (insha-allah)

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 06:21 PM
dhaka is one of the most developing cities in the world...its transport system is nowhere near one of the worst in the world....its similar to india and pakistan...

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:25 PM
just imagine in the future, the population density in bangladesh
will grow so high, this will then affect everything, the traffic will
certainly will grow with more transport than ever, more housing will
be needed and many more, i dont know how bangladesh will cope with it?

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 06:29 PM
just imagine in the future, the population density in bangladesh
will grow so high, this will then affect everything, the traffic will
certainly will grow with more transport than ever, more housing will
be needed and many more, i dont know how bangladesh will cope with it?

true and its such as small country....allah will see it through if we all do small things each day to improve the standard of all the cities in bangladesh e.g.clean up the streets. but one advantage of a growing population is that our bangla language will be spreading too

Arnab
December 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
Personally I think the traffic in BD has improved a lot... especially Dhanmondi - almost 'jamless' every time I've been there.

When did you visit Dhanmondi? 3 in the morning? Dhanmondi is not pliable in the morning and early afternoon because of schools. And in the evening, spontaneous jams are occuring more and more, sometimes even at 9 PM.

The CTG has taken aesthetically praiseworthy steps in decorating the road islands with trees, painting their curbs and giving them new fences. Unfortunately, the real problems remain unsolved.

A recent good move has been to patrol the streets at elephant road-er mor and force the pedestrians to use the overbridge. Pedestrians are also a good reason behind the breakage of normal traffic flow.

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
true and its such as small country....allah will see it through if we all do small things each day to improve the standard of all the cities in bangladesh e.g.clean up the streets. but one advantage of a growing population is that our bangla language will be spreading too
spreading where exactly? india?

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 06:36 PM
spreading where exactly? india?

it will be spreadin all over the world....bengali currently is one of the most spoken languages in the world....with an increasing population the language popularity will increase too...

Arnab
December 22, 2007, 06:38 PM
This is how an underground looks like...{{it underneath the ground}} with so many different lines and zones of where trains go...dont tell me bangladesh doesnt have 1? man if they had one of these, the transport system will be fixed!!!!

Kolkata has a lot of flyovers (more than 10) and also has a small-sized underground rail with about 10 stations. Dhaka fell behind a lot in this regard.

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:44 PM
Kolkata has a lot of flyovers (more than 10) and also has a small-sized underground rail with about 10 stations. Dhaka fell behind a lot in this regard.
well shame for dhaka, we could've have so many oppurtunities in developing
the desh, but mostly we're focused on politics now and so much corruption,
leading to poverty and less infastructure of the cities, if only we could work
as a good group in the past, but hey it can all start today can't it,
you know what they say, the possibilities are endless!:-D
(hopefully for bangladesh, just hope.)

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 06:46 PM
well shame for dhaka, we could've have so many oppurtunities in developing
the desh, but mostly we're focused on politics now and so much corruption,
leading to poverty and less infastructure of the cities, if only we could work
as a good group in the past, but hey it can all start today can't it,
you know what they say, the possibilities are endless!:-D
(hopefully for bangladesh, just hope.)

hey thats not fair! dhaka is the capital city....it has therefore a lot of pressure on its shoulders....:)......we should all work together to improve our country...not just the people from dhaka

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 06:54 PM
yeah thats what i mean parisa,
i know why theres only sylheti people mostly abroad,
because it does not offer many jobs, the services in the city
are not very good types of jobs, sylhet does not offer many
oppurtunities to the people..maybe we should look at other
cities and develop them a bit more, just like Dhaka and not
focus just in the middle.

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 07:05 PM
oh i miss the rickshaws! the mishooks and the scooters!.........

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 07:09 PM
oh i miss the rickshaws! the mishooks and the scooters!.........
do you ... man i never went to dhaka before..
i only stayed at a hotel near the ZIA airport thats it,
i saw a lot of cars there in the night, must be so much
better than Sylhet, u got shops and so many things,
we have nothing...just rickshaw..rickshaw achen ar kichu nai.

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 07:10 PM
u have the famous tea gardens! don't diss sylhet so much....

Moshin
December 22, 2007, 07:40 PM
u have the famous tea gardens! don't diss sylhet so much....
wow the tea gardnes, i swear its only for the ladies.

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 07:42 PM
wow the tea gardnes, i swear its only for the ladies.

its one BD's top attractions! don't be silly moshin..an attraction is for both genders even though more women does work in the tea gardens than men

Murad
December 22, 2007, 07:45 PM
If Bangladesh make some over-bridged railway lines then there will be no jams in dhaka. Subway is not for our country. Even India don't have it. Dhaka is always under flooded water for 3/4 months a year, subway is not an option. Only over-bridge can help.

Parisa
December 22, 2007, 07:50 PM
If Bangladesh make some over-bridged railway lines then there will be no jams in dhaka. Subway is not for our country. Even India don't have it. Dhaka is always under flooded water for 3/4 months a year, subway is not an option. Only over-bridge can help.

there will always be jams in dhaka...but a wide variety of transport methods will reduce the jam as it will be divided...over-bride railways is definitely a good suggestion but dhaka should also consider buildin an underground.....

ialbd
December 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
the schools are done with exams here in Dhanmondi, which is making my Dhaka trip atleast 20% better. The Dhanmondi roads become one-way during school hours, which probably makes it a bit better.

As a whole the population of Dhaka has increased, and its quite eveident (although currently I am enjoying a light Dhaka as most of the ppl left for eid)....

WarWolf
December 22, 2007, 11:57 PM
Transportation and traffic management need integrated planning. Mumbai city has two local rail systems just for the city. Both heading north <> south directions and one of them is built by the easten side of the city while the other is by the western side. Yet the efforts are significant to prepare Mumbai as a city for the next decades. They have near 100 fly overs all over Mumbai just make traffic easier. Recent news : they already planned and asked bids to build two higly ambitious projects. One is a underground railway and another is a mono-railway.

This is how our neighbours are planning? Where do we stand?

Beamer
December 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
As in NOT doing the following things??

- driving with high beam on at night
- straddling both lanes, but staying entirely on one
- actually obeying traffic lights
- Turning onto another street by driving in the side of the oncoming traffic (wrong-way)
- turning right from the right side lane, leaving centre lane for going straight and not cutting them off from the leftmost lane just coz you want to go right.
- turning left from the left side lane, leaving centre lane for going straight and not cutting them off from the rightmost lane just coz you want to go left.
- Pedestrians deciding not to run all of a sudden when walking across the street at a uniform pace
- Rickshaws and CNGs not hogging up the inside (fast) lanes
- Buses actually going right by the pavement to load and unload passengers instead of stopping dead in the middle of the road, just because it requires a bit of time and effort to turn and get back onto the right lane!
- Driving in the wrong way, just because it lets you avoid the jam in front, or gets you to your destination earlier

Sorry to say, these rules are increasingly being ignored by the new breed of chauffeurs. The one time I cuss like crazy is while driving amidst such mofos.

Bingo.

And learning to walk a little isn't a bad idea at all, and on the pavements, not on the actual road. There is no need for an able bodied adult to haul a rickshaw from say Bangla motor to Moghbazar Rail crossing. Its good for your body so it doesn't break down by the time one hits the ripe old age of 40.

nobody
December 23, 2007, 12:13 AM
subway is not the solution for Dhaka. There was a study on Strategic Transport Plan for Dhaka. In this report various option for improving transport problems of Dhaka was discussed. The option of subway was 6th out of 12 option. But the funny part was that the consultant recommended subway just because it would add prestige to Dhaka. My feeling is that as STP is funded by WB, they needed their consulatnt to work as expert. Bangladesi expert could work well if we did not go for subway. Lots of megacity is working fine without subway (for example Bombay, Bogota).

Arnab
December 23, 2007, 02:17 AM
Lots of megacity is working fine without subway (for example Bombay, Bogota).

Mumbai subway is in planning stage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai_Metro

Bogota has an excellent state of the art, newly designed bus system called Transmilenio, with 114 well-placed stations. Dhaka has nothing of that sort.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransMilenio

nobody
December 23, 2007, 04:11 AM
Mumbai subway is in planning stage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai_Metro

Bogota has an excellent state of the art, newly designed bus system called Transmilenio, with 114 well-placed stations. Dhaka has nothing of that sort.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransMilenio

yea I know. Actually Bogota model has been proposed in STP. But to feed the white consultant WB and gutless goverment servant taking the sixth best option for improving the traffic system in Dhaka.

Arnab
December 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
What was the sixth best option?

This article talks a lot about the plan:
http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/05/05/d605051901125.htm

Covered earlier in Daily Star's Weekend Magazine:
http://www.thedailystar.net/magazine/2005/09/04/cover.htm

nobody
December 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
Arnab,
the sixth best option is the subway. If you want to read about STP, I could email you or upload it in some hosting site.

ammark
December 24, 2007, 12:38 AM
Arnab,
the sixth best option is the subway. If you want to read about STP, I could email you or upload it in some hosting site.

I'm interested. Put it up on megauploads and share the link here?

Arnab
December 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
Yes, I am interested too. Please upload it.

WarWolf
December 26, 2007, 01:24 AM
nobody,
Waing for you to upload STP.

nobody
December 26, 2007, 02:41 AM
The file size is too big. After zipping it is 139MB. can somebody enlighten me how to upload as neither rapidshare nor megaupload do not allow size big size file at a chank.

Arnab
December 26, 2007, 03:48 AM
What? I find that highly unlikely. What kind of file is it?

nobody
December 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
all pdf file. these are big documents. around 2500 pages with lots of graffics. I do not know whether I could upload those in box.net and then share the email link to u. but with slow internet connection I do not know how much time it would take to upload in box.net

PoorFan
December 26, 2007, 05:25 AM
Anyone has experience driving abroad and in Dhaka will bound to address problems ...

1. Lack of roads ( link roads, ring roads, signals, under way, over way, one way etc. )
- we need more of those above.

2. Traffic law only exist on paper or as a word, absolutely nothing more.
- we need enforcement, traffic police access to computerized online system of car registration, driving license.

3. Driving manner does not exist even in dictionary.
- Same above could help to force extra training class or hour those who has negative point.
- Car owner should learn and start to drive his/her own car, so that he/she can guide his/her outlaw driver.

4. Driving only means ( to those drivers of truck, bus, cars, auto riksha ) if you know how to hold steering, change gear, press accelerator is enough, and rest everything is on GOD, as if 'rakhe Allah mare ke'.
- Every of those driver needs a compulsory fresh driving training, I have no idea what kind of training curriculum they got to issue a driving license.

Lack of infrastructure is indeed a huge problem lack of traffic law enforcement, updated system cant be ignored if we think of better road transportation system in Dhaka or any other big city in BD.

WarWolf
December 27, 2007, 01:03 AM
Dhaka was a nice city without traffic jams during the eid vacation. From yesterday once again Dhakaians started to experience the unbearable traffic jams.

Arnab
December 27, 2007, 05:34 AM
all pdf file. these are big documents. around 2500 pages with lots of graffics. I do not know whether I could upload those in box.net and then share the email link to u. but with slow internet connection I do not know how much time it would take to upload in box.net

How about uploading the executive summary for now.

Rabz
December 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
Im also very much interested in that report.

akabir77
December 27, 2007, 01:33 PM
wait we have a transport SYSTEM???

nobody
December 28, 2007, 12:55 AM
One of my friend has high speed net connection and account in box.net. he would upload it there. then i could provide you the link. And the link for the recommendation chapter is here (http://rapidshare.com/files/79556357/Chapter_8__Recommendation_Text.pdf.html)

WarWolf
December 29, 2007, 09:14 AM
One of my friend has high speed net connection and account in box.net. he would upload it there. then i could provide you the link. And the link for the recommendation chapter is here (http://rapidshare.com/files/79556357/Chapter_8__Recommendation_Text.pdf.html)
Thanks

Nasif
January 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
Looks like they have read this thread ;)

Tk 6,200cr metro plan okayed
Rejaul Karim Byron

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="200"><tbody><tr> <td>http://www.thedailystar.net/photos/2008-01-08__front01.jpg</td></tr><tr> <td class="osdn-navtext">

</td></tr></tbody></table>The advisory committee on economic affairs yesterday approved a proposal for construction of a subway in Dhaka by a private sector firm with an estimated cost of Tk 6,200 crore.

The underground rail system will be constructed on Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) basis under the supervision of Bangladesh Railway, meeting sources said.

"We have approved the proposal to include in the PICOM (Private Infrastructure Committee) list and now the remaining processes will be done to implement the project," Finance Adviser Mirza Azizul Islam, who chaired the meeting, said.

The government will now float fresh international tender inviting proposals and at the same time the Planning Commission will prepare a detailed study on the project, sources said.

Once built, the subway will save Tk 5,319 crore a year through saving human working hours and stopping wastage of imported fuel due to traffic congestions, says the proposal made by the Board of Investment (BoI) .

While the experts say that it requires for any mega city to have roads covering at least 25-30 percent of its area for easy traffic movement, the roads of Dhaka cover only 5-6 percent.

According to the BoI proposal, the 52-kilometre subway would have six routes with 50 stations connecting almost 80 percent of the city area. The underground rail system will have the capacity to transport on average 40 lakh passengers a month.

The first route would start from Gabtoli and end at Sayedabad via Mohakhali and it would be connected with the second route, Uttara to Mohakhali, at the Mohakhali bus terminal.

The third route, Pallabi to IDB Bhaban, will be connected with the first route as well.

The fourth route will be from Shyamoli to Elephant Road, which will cover Shyamoli, Adabor, Mohammadpur, Dhanmondi, Jigatola, Rayerbazar and Hazaribagh areas. It will be connected with the first route at Shyamoli and Elephant Road forming the first inner loop.

Starting from Sayedabad, the fifth route will end at Tejgaon Satrasta via Malibagh, Moghbazar and Kamalapur Rail Station. It will also be connected with the first route and it will form the second loop almost as long as the first loop in the network.

Completing the entire network, the sixth route from Sayedabad to Gulistan will connect all the entry points of the mega city.

The initiative to construct the subway in Dhaka was taken during the BNP-Jamaat government and a private company was primarily selected for the project.

After assuming power, the present caretaker government halted the work of the project and in February last year, it said that the next political government would complete the work.

Later in November that year, the government, however, shifted from its decision and made a fresh move about the project considering it as a priority work to ease traffic congestion of the capital.

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=18321

Kabir
January 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
Looks like they have read this thread ;)

Good to see that there's now a plan in place.

And even better to see that WarWolf is being heard everywhere...first his SL cricket infrastructure and its applicability in Bangladesh scenario, and now his thread on Dhaka's Transport system ;)

Good job WarWolf ;)

If anyone has any issues/problems, please PM WarWolf...he'll solve it all for you :D

sadi
January 7, 2008, 04:06 PM
Subway plan is great. It seems to cover most of the areas. When are the planning to start it and when can I start riding the subway? :)

akabir77
January 7, 2008, 05:14 PM
Subway plan is great. It seems to cover most of the areas. When are the planning to start it and when can I start riding the subway? :)

how old you are going to be in 2050?

amar11432
January 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
how old you are going to be in 2050?

It will be built in 4 years by Contech, local construction firm which is actually a proxy company of Sena Kallyan Songstha (the army welfare trust) and financed by Trust bank (owned by the defense forces). About 50% of the underground train would be above ground. Please visit the skyscrapercity forum, Bangladesh was its own subforum now. There is more info about this project there. And sorry if it seems that I imposed on this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=928

Arnab
January 7, 2008, 11:38 PM
Oh man, now we are $%&ed! Dhaka will be inhabitable for the next 5 years (or may be more)! The dust, the carnage, the mismanagement! I have to get out of here.

shaad
January 8, 2008, 09:53 AM
Oh man, now we are $%&ed! Dhaka will be inhabitable for the next 5 years (or may be more)! The dust, the carnage, the mismanagement! I have to get out of here.

And then, when the waters rise due to global warming (or even during our seasonal floods), we'll have the world's first submarine subways. We can always use them as a tourist attraction.

Arnab
January 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
It will be built in 4 years by Contech, local construction firm which is actually a proxy company of Sena Kallyan Songstha (the army welfare trust) and financed by Trust bank (owned by the defense forces).

They are having a lot of fun, Bangladesh Army, aren't they?

Rabz
January 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
According to the BoI proposal, the 52-kilometre subway would have six routes with 50 stations connecting almost 80 percent of the city area. The underground rail system will have the capacity to transport on average 40 lakh passengers a month

Im all up for the subway. There is no other alternative for our traffic debacle.

But the underlined, is that a typo?

4 million passengers a month for a city of 10 million?
I hope they meant to say 4 millions a day.

Cuz if they are trying to transport a mere 150,000 per day, it would be too little too costly.

ialbd
January 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
I hope there was a comprehensive feasibility study on the subway project, covering issues like flood, earthquake etc..

I never thought underground subway will be possible in Dhaka, an so the overground ones (above the streets, dont know what they call it, monorail maybe) like the ones in Kualalumpur will be the solution.

'50% of the track will be overground' - just parallel to the existing roads? is there space?

Tigers_eye
January 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
Bingo.

And learning to walk a little isn't a bad idea at all, and on the pavements, not on the actual road. There is no need for an able bodied adult to haul a rickshaw from say Bangla motor to Moghbazar Rail crossing. Its good for your body so it doesn't break down by the time one hits the ripe old age of 40.
Bir Beamer,
Oi din kauwaii (kak) khaisey!! Passport office'r shamney, Shohag 1, 2, 3, Auto shops, dilu road, gaus nagar, hafizabad'er moray chintai karider adda khana. Walk at your own risk. din ba rat bolay kono kotha nai. That is where my childhood was spent. Was so much different.

Kabir
January 8, 2008, 12:48 PM
I never thought underground subway will be possible in Dhaka, an so the overground ones (above the streets, dont know what they call it, monorail maybe) like the ones in Kualalumpur will be the solution.

That's exactly what I thought before too. It's probably better than a subway system in Dhaka at least...we're too easily hit by floods.

cricket_pagol
January 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
It will be built in 4 years by Contech, local construction firm which is actually a proxy company of Sena Kallyan Songstha (the army welfare trust) and financed by Trust bank (owned by the defense forces). About 50% of the underground train would be above ground. Please visit the skyscrapercity forum, Bangladesh was its own subforum now. There is more info about this project there. And sorry if it seems that I imposed on this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=928

This has been in the pipeline for a while. The CTG put it on hold after coming to power and now they have restarted the process. I think it is a good move.

Kana-Baba
January 8, 2008, 06:59 PM

There are no underground RAIL stations in Dhaka; but we do have a lot of underground DRAIN stations in all over the Dhaka city. And if you are a bit absent minded while walking on the Dhaka streets, you may land in one of those through open manholes. No matter where you land, your final destination will always be the Buri-ganga. The journey is off course free of cost - after all this a public communication service. ;)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>

Arnab
January 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
And then, when the waters rise due to global warming (or even during our seasonal floods), we'll have the world's first submarine subways. We can always use them as a tourist attraction.

They couldn't even bring the RANGS bhaban down properly without making a total mess of it, can you imagine building a city-wide subway?

amar11432
January 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
They couldn't even bring the RANGS bhaban down properly without making a total mess of it, can you imagine building a city-wide subway?

Contech will built the subway and MRT (the Hong Kong subway operator) is the technical partner. Damn, there are lots of naysayers in here; I am sure it was the same when the past govt was about to build the Jamuna bridge years ago. Cities such as Kolkata, Copenhagen, Amsterdam and many other all have a subway system; yet they are all about to be a greater victim of global warming (especially Amsterdam due is low elevation). Also when it floods in cities such as Kolkata they simply halt operation for hours and use electrical pump to dump the water out. And remember Kolkata build their metro 23 years ago, it flooded many time in those 23 years. Their subway didn't break apart, its still working. Just year in NYC WHILE riding the subway water came about and completely soaked my sneaker. My point is flooding occurs AROUND the world not just in Bangladesh, its a natural occurrence. When its floods, simply stop the subway's operation and pump the water out. Anyways I just hope this will lower the congestion and make the life of the people of Dhaka city just a bit easier.

Arnab
January 8, 2008, 09:51 PM
Anyways I just hope this will lower the congestion and make the life of the people of Dhaka city just a bit easier.

Eventually, it will probably do that, but in the meantime, for 5/6 years, during the construction stage, Dhaka might become more hellish than it already is.

PoorFan
January 9, 2008, 04:40 AM
Im all up for the subway. There is no other alternative for our traffic debacle.

<!--StartFragment -->Me too, though they have to reestablish entire drainage system, and complete/finish east side dam of Dhaka city.

Rabz
January 9, 2008, 11:27 AM
<!--StartFragment -->Me too, though they have to reestablish entire drainage system, and complete/finish east side dam of Dhaka city.

There are so so much to do, atleast they could start from somewhere.

Beamer
January 9, 2008, 04:15 PM
Bir Beamer,
Oi din kauwaii (kak) khaisey!! Passport office'r shamney, Shohag 1, 2, 3, Auto shops, dilu road, gaus nagar, hafizabad'er moray chintai karider adda khana. Walk at your own risk. din ba rat bolay kono kotha nai. That is where my childhood was spent. Was so much different.
OK. How about from Mohakhali to Gulshan 1? I was generally speaking with no specific place in mind.

Shafin
January 14, 2008, 03:46 PM
The STP is on the verge on being approved,hopefully it'll be a big step towards Dhaka's transformation to a true modern urban hub.

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="621"><tbody><tr><td class="dotbb" height="30" valign="top" width="508">Ministry approves STP to upgrade traffic systems</td> <td class="dotbb" valign="top" width="54">
</td> <td class="dotbb" valign="top" width="54">
</td> </tr> <tr valign="middle"> <td colspan="3" class="body01" height="29">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Dhaka, Jan 14 (bdnews24.com)--The communications ministry Monday provisionally approved the Strategic Transport Plan, which is expected to improve the transportation network in the capital and its outskirts and install an underground railway system.

"In the next seven days, the STP will be sent to the council of advisers for final approval. Once approved, the government will take an initiative to implement the plan," communications adviser Ghulam Quader told reporters after a meeting in his office.

"The STP will need two years to be implemented and will cost five billion dollars," he said.

The World Bank, Japan International Cooperation Agency and other organisations have agreed to finance the project, the adviser said.

Quader also said a decision has been taken to create 50 new roads through the capital and a circular road around the city and to introduce a uniform ticket system for public transport.

The adviser said that to install a subway rail system between Dhaka and its outskirts, about 17,000 sq km of railway has to be laid, which will take about 12 years.

Once the implementation is underway many roads may be closed due to construction.

"This will cause traffic jams�but the plan includes measures to address this. In some places flyovers will be built to ease the gridlock."

Quader also said that the STP includes steps to clear the traffic jams created due to rail crossings within the city.

Additional executive director of the Dhaka Transportation Coordination Board SM Salahuddin, who attended the meeting, said: "The current transport system of the city is in a North-South orientation."

"That's why plans have been taken to build 50 more roads in an East-West direction."

He believes that the realisation of the Strategic Transport Plan will transform Dhaka into a modern city.

Source (http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=35971&cid=2)

Shafin
January 14, 2008, 04:20 PM
Bir Beamer,
[বাংলা]না ভাই,দিন এখনো বদলায় নাই। রাস্তা ঘাটে হাটতে এখনো মজা আছে। আর ছিনতাইকারীরাও এখন চাল্লু হয়ে গেছে,সিএনজি ট্যাক্সি ক্যাব এর যাত্রী ছাড়া ছিনতাই করতে চায় না।
ঢাকায় হাটলে আসলেই সময় অনেক কম লাগে। আজিমপুর থেকে আমি গুলশান এ হেটে গেছি ৪৫ মিনিটে, বাস এ গেছি সর্বনিন্ম ১৫ মিনিটে,সকাল ৬ টায় আর সাধারণত লাগে ১ ঘন্টা,জ্যাম থাকলে দুই আড়াই ঘন্টাও লাগে।
নিউমার্কেট থেকে শ্যামলি হাটতে লাগে ৫০ মিনিট,শ্যামলি থেকে গাবতলি ৪৫ মিনিট।গুলিস্তান থেকে মতিঝিল ২০ মিনিট আর ফার্মগেট থেকে শাহবাগ লাগে ২০ মিনিট। একবার মহাখালি থেকে উত্তরা পর্যন্ত যেতে কত সময় লাগে দেখার ইচছা আছে, সময় পেলে জানাবো।

তবে ঢাকায় হাটার আসল মজা পুরান ঢাকায়। রিকশা আর মানুষের স্রোতে হাটার মজাই অন্যরকম।[/বাংলা]