PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud

Rubu
December 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
Something quite weird has happened to me.

I had to sent a dental bill payment through mail. It never reached the destination, and someone stole the number from there.

I found out someone else was using my credit card within 48 hours from online credit card account and called to cancel the card.

Things was normal so far, until, two days latter an XBOX360 arrived at my address. Not knowing what it was, my wife accepted it. Only to find out later that it was one of the items brought using that card by someone else.

I called the CC company and told that I received one XBOX360. They told me to hold on to it for now and they will let me know.

Here is the question, since that XBOX360 was not the only thing brought from the particular website using my card (actually 3 of those was brought), why one was sent to me? I'm trying to find out the intention of sending me one. Was he/she trying to prove that I brought one for me and 2 other as gifts for other? Because companies sometimes checks the shipping address to see if it matches the card, I think by giving real address for one, the fraud was trying to defeat the purpose.

What should I do in case the CC company says that I brought the 3 units (costs about $1500)?

damalChele
December 23, 2007, 08:04 PM
Tell them the truth, nothing but the truth.

tonoy
December 23, 2007, 08:07 PM
woah. ouch.

Rifat
December 23, 2007, 09:26 PM
there is a way out of this...

the American way-

"SUE THE BA******"

Niceman70
December 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
Something quite weird has happened to me.

I had to sent a dental bill payment through mail. It never reached the destination, and someone stole the number from there.

I found out someone else was using my credit card within 48 hours from online credit card account and called to cancel the card.

Things was normal so far, until, two days latter an XBOX360 arrived at my address. Not knowing what it was, my wife accepted it. Only to find out later that it was one of the items brought using that card by someone else.

I called the CC company and told that I received one XBOX360. They told me to hold on to it for now and they will let me know.

Here is the question, since that XBOX360 was not the only thing brought from the particular website using my card (actually 3 of those was brought), why one was sent to me? I'm trying to find out the intention of sending me one. Was he/she trying to prove that I brought one for me and 2 other as gifts for other? Because companies sometimes checks the shipping address to see if it matches the card, I think by giving real address for one, the fraud was trying to defeat the purpose.

What should I do in case the CC company says that I brought the 3 units (costs about $1500)?

don't worry...CC company never asks their customers too prove anything. if you file a dispute on all your transactions then they will ask the selling company to provide tracking number which will confirm the units received. now for that there has to be a confirmation from UPS,FEDEX or DHL with your or your wife's signature. You don't have to worry about it because CC companies are also aware of this tactics frauds uses so they know what to do. Your CC will work for you to get your money back because you are their customer. You should tell them anything you are aware of it. Just incase they are not doing things in your way then get a lawyer. One of my uncle did not know he had 40,000 dollar loan and he found out when he wanted to buy a house. His mortgage broker found out her has loan and informed him and he then got a lawyer. His lawyer cleared everything. if your transaction loan amount is less than 2000 than don't worry you don't need to get no lawyer. This kind of problems are normally solved by CC companies. if you need any help email me at msalim70@gmail.com. i will try my best to guide you because i fight small cases like that everyday for my company.

Rubu
December 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
Niceman, thanks a lot. I will let you know how it goes. I never had to pay anything as I caught it when it was a 'pending charge' and even before it was posted as an transaction. so, cc company cleared everything. things would have settled there but for the unit I received. I'm guessing someone an ups guy will come to pick it up, and it will be all over. if its not I'll let you know.

Tigers_eye
December 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for sharing this.

Just a reminder, at restaurants or any places do not give your credit card to your waiters/waitresses. Take the bill to the cashier yourself and swipe it yourself or let them swipe infront of you and take it back. Same goes in the gas stations.

At times, the cunning fraudulant waiters would copy the number and CVC code and expiration date with a smile.

al Furqaan
December 26, 2007, 06:25 PM
wow

Kabir
December 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear that Rubu bhai.

I would say, whatever you do, do maintain consistent communication with the CC company. Tell them the truth, and mention about any further items that show up at your place that you never really purchased. Keep track of your account if you haven't closed the account yet.

You should be fine in no time.

Bengaliprince176
December 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
credit card scams are so annoying. these losers just wont stop, i wud be careful when in takeawyas when paying by card, i heard about thsi guy who had his credit card number seen becoz sum1 took a picture whith his camera fone, pretending he was making a call!! this guy was lucky as he had the same fone so was able to tell, so he quickly cancelled it.

Rifat
December 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
even before reading this thread, i have already decided never own have credit card even if i get rich or whatever: reasons...

1. Interest hassle?(any form of interest in haraam in islam there is a simple reason why, Allah doesn't tolerate cheap money(money without labor))

2. stupid fees?

3. Rubu's situation.

Tigers_eye
December 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
even before reading this thread, i have already decided never own have credit card even if i get rich or whatever: reasons...
If you can live your life without having a credit card great!! 1) But then you run a higher risk on using bank cards. The frauds will directly take out the money from your bank if they get a hand on it. 2) If you plan to carry cash, you become a live target at places to be mugged and lose everything you have on you.

1. Interest hassle?(any form of interest in haraam in islam there is a simple reason why, Allah doesn't tolerate cheap money(money without labor))
I have credit cards and I do not pay interest. You pay your total balance every month.

2. stupid fees?
Why would you have stupid fees? Did you do something stupid?

3. Rubu's situation.
If you are aware of your surroundings you can avoid this.

akabir77
December 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for sharing this.

Just a reminder, at restaurants or any places do not give your credit card to your waiters/waitresses. Take the bill to the cashier yourself and swipe it yourself or let them swipe infront of you and take it back. Same goes in the gas stations.

At times, the cunning fraudulant waiters would copy the number and CVC code and expiration date with a smile.

To add to that make sure when they return your CC(GAS, Restaurant, Grocery store) that they gave you back your CC. Cause some times they will give you a fake one that looks the same. That's why i always change my CC getup (you can order a new design any time u want from the CC website). And always use one CC for daily use and keep and hawk eye on the transactions from the CC web site.

Real story: Walmart changer me three four time for the same receipt (the swipe thing was not working and the stupid clark swiped my card three four time).

Called CC and they took care of it. In the mean time Walmart also took out that $100+ transaction and game me the same amount as credit for their wrong doing.
So i got 100+ return instead of getting charged. But i guess one of these days they will find their error and get their money back until then i am 100+ richer then i should be... ;). I called my CC and reported them about the extra 100. and they told me to stay put and not worry about it as they think walmart will fix that transaction once every thing is settled...

DJ Sahastra
December 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
Guys,

I have faced it all, right from having a company deliver my credit card replacement (unwarranted) to my old address where it was used merciless and discovered only after 2-3 years (when one day i find my credit score below 600) to losing my card at a gas station to find someone eating a dinner at "Denny's".

The bottomline - they are safe and hassle-free even in frauds - as long as you are a person with good standing and credit rating.

If you take some basic precautions, it will save you some headaches, that's all. You are safe either ways as long as you haven't purchased what your bill says you have.