PDA

View Full Version : The Matur‘ing’ Ashraful

israr
December 23, 2007, 02:38 PM
He’s done it effectively on several occasions, and the definition for hook, pull and flick will have to be redefined after viewing one of his frenetic innings. He has ameliorated Bangladesh so many times in different match scenarios, but sometimes exacerbated situations so often with his sporadic ‘rush of blood’, that left us perplexed on how such kind of dichotomy can exist within this individual. However, that seems to be changing of what people previously thought as immutable. It seems he is finally grasping the ‘remedies’ for success in international cricket, which is slowly but surely reflecting in his captaincy, batting, and I’d further go to include in his emotions as well. On the field, most of the times his face reveals he is in cogitation, devising plans to beguile the opposition, and while batting, he knows how to mix circumspect approach simultaneously with aggressive domination over the bowlers. His presence generates an ebullient mood in the side, and that’s a sign of not only his coming of age, but of how mature he’s become infront of his own team comrades as well.

Go ahead Ashraful and Co., bring such moments of mirth more frequently for millions of us patriotic supporters. Our well-wishes are always there with you.

Zobair
December 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
Gre ? :)

Kabir
December 23, 2007, 03:36 PM
I don't think anyone can tell you whether the way Ash played in the T20 last night was the most effective way of playing the game, but personally I have a feeling that it was a little too aggressive for the situation we had at that time. First ball, he hit a four. Second ball, he hit a six. That's when we were struggling with two early breaks.

IMO, Farhad played a very passionate and mature game...his strokes were very effective, and I think that's how T20 should be played.

Mav
December 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
hahaha
hahahahahah
hahaha

Sorry, Hashita thamate parlam na.

cricman
December 23, 2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think anyone can tell you whether the way Ash played in the T20 last night was the most effective way of playing the game, but personally I have a feeling that it was a little too aggressive for the situation we had at that time. First ball, he hit a four. Second ball, he hit a six. That's when we were struggling with two early breaks.

He did that vs the West Indies and look where it got us :D

BD-Shardul
December 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
Yes Israr Bhai, Ash is maturing slowly, and under his captaincy, Bangladesh is marching forward gradually. I can visualize a scene where I see our charismatic Ash is holding the WC trophy 2011.

israr
December 23, 2007, 03:51 PM

IMO, Farhad played a very passionate and mature game...his strokes were very effective, and I think that's how T20 should be played.

My observation wasn't only based on this 20-20 game, but closely following his performances since Ist match of the World Cup, and the positive influence he's producing in the team as a whole due to his personal development and improvement as a cricket player, not solely as a batsman. You can compare the differences between Ashraful's men and Bashar's men.
And yes, you are absolutely spot on. Farhad just showed a clinical display of how it's to be done.

Note: Please guys, I am not trying to undermine anyone's efforts. If you've understood my last few lines, my main emphasis was on Bangladesh's achievements, and hopefully with our pro-active and matur'ing' captain, we'll be ushered to a fruitful future.

israr
December 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
Yes Israr Bhai, Ash is maturing slowly, and under his captaincy, Bangladesh is marching forward gradually. I can visualize a scene where I see our charismatic Ash is holding the WC trophy 2011.

Its not only you Shardul bhai. I envisage that magic moment everytime while I am thinking nothing.

Moshin
December 23, 2007, 04:06 PM
he should'nt play like that, yes its exiting, more runs,
but losing too many wickets can lead to problems,
later in the mathces and Ashraful should play consistently!
(remember 20-20 v SA, bam 4, bam 6, bam out)

Gowza
December 23, 2007, 04:30 PM
can't really say i agree with ashraful maturing, i still think he bats too aggressive at the wrong times in one-day cricket (T20 and 50 over cricket). also by the sounds of the commentry on this NZ tour he's going for a lot of risky singles so he's obviously working on his running between the wickets but being that he's BD's best batsmen it's not worth the risk. as a captain he might be, not sure on that one, but as a batsman i don't think he's maturing much (at least not in the right direction if he is).

tonoy
December 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
mark my words, ashraful will have the same fate as shahid Afridi. You'd just eventually get used to it.

Murad
December 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
mark my words, ashraful will have the same fate as shahid Afridi. You'd just eventually get used to it.

Yeahh keep wishing for for that. Who knows oneday your dream to see SN as captain will come true. You never know ;)

tonoy
December 23, 2007, 05:01 PM
Yeahh keep wishing for for that. Who knows oneday your dream to see SN as captain will come true. You never know ;)

howd you know? you sly devil you.;)

Murad
December 23, 2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/84100/84125.jpg
Mohammad Ashraful is fired up after removing Ross Taylor, New Zealand XI v Bangladesh XI, Twenty20 charity match, Hamilton, December 23, 2007

zainab
December 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
When Ash was handed the captaincy I was surprised, I dont think that he was ready for this important job, but then who else? Maybe Mash?
He is beginning to show a bit of maturity, but has a long way to go, in my opinion, he is still not really leading from the front like other captains, still a bit reckless with the bat and has to show more patience, stability and consistency.
I am one of his biggest fans, I have seen his magic since he was a young teenager, and I am so sad to see a great talent like him not converting to performance.
By now, he should have made more test centuries and ODI's scores, batsmen who do not have his natural talent and style have overtaken him, e/g Alistair Cook- 7 test centuries already and this is due to temperament, patience and mental endurance which is still lacking in Ash.

Anyhow, there is still hope that one day he will shine.

Rifat
December 23, 2007, 07:20 PM
people, leave this guy alone, please! i mean, he is doing all he can to de what he should do and beyond... i will comment on his maturity after a justified New Zealand ODI and test series.

the sri lanka series... o.k. it was his first task as a captain, so let's overlook those blunders. this time i am not forgiving him! i will wait to see this captain take on the Kiwis, on his manner and tactics after this whole series, then i will then judge, o.k. what really happened, what should have been done. etc... now i think it is still early to call him mature or immature.

Leave him alone, let him do his job, he will do fine and will serve this cricket crazy nation for decades! no worries(Inshallah:))

nahaz
December 23, 2007, 09:54 PM
Just a side note...Shahid Afridi has become a huge asset to Pakistan in recent times as a proper all-rounder...if Ash can be an asset like that won't be too bad...Ash has always been a great batsman and more complete than Afridi battingwise...he's trying to improve temperament-wise,and that to me is the important thing...unlike Aftab it seems.

If Ash has his day this series and Aftab or Tamim gives him good explosive support...nothing can stop us..Of course the whole team playing sensibly(esp. batsmen) can have the same effect..but as if that's gonna happen:-p. Come on Ash and co., make us proud on Boxing Day!!Good luck.

AsifTheManRahman
December 23, 2007, 11:58 PM
Gre ? :)

Is it so inevitable? Did you do the same a couple of years ago? :)

al-Sagar
December 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
i hope he will show maturity in test cricket.

when players are performing well in test cricket then the maturity will start to grow.

mahbubH
December 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
Ash has a competition with Aftab on this. Probably Ash will win by a small margin.

zainab
December 25, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ash gets all excited and fired up when he takes a wicket. If I remember correctly, he was a bowler before he showed talent with the bat, but I think at heart, he loves to bowl also.

WarWolf
December 26, 2007, 01:33 AM
I didn't see any sign of his maturity today. After doing all the hard works throwing wicket like this is a crime and punishable. He has forgotten that he is the captain.

Rifat
December 26, 2007, 01:58 AM
I didn't see any sign of his maturity today. After doing all the hard works throwing wicket like this is a crime and punishable. He has forgotten that he is the captain.

i wouldn't be too harsh on him he deservedly played a brilliant 70 and got out misjudging a slower ball for six but got out. he plays those kind of shots all the time

PoorFan
December 26, 2007, 02:08 AM
Not yet, not just yet.

Eshen
December 26, 2007, 03:54 AM
Ash played an excellent innings today, but that still does not change the fact that his irresponsibility (not trying to stick around when a new batsman just arrived in the crease) was a major factor for the batting collapse today.

There was no pressure on him at that point to score boundaries. We still had the 3rd power play coming, he could have saved his aerial shots for that period.

Gowza
December 26, 2007, 04:02 AM
Ash played an excellent innings today, but that still does not change the fact that his irresponsibility (not trying to stick around when a new batsman just arrived in the crease) was a major factor for the batting collapse today.

There was no pressure on him at that point to score boundaries. We still had the 3rd power play coming, he could have saved his aerial shots for that period.

nice post, i agree.

PoorFan
December 26, 2007, 04:21 AM

Absolutely.

taklima_naj
December 26, 2007, 07:24 AM
nice post, i agree.

Yeah, thats the problem, no patience

Protic
December 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
You could say ..Ashraful is performing.. quite consistently.. but MATURING .. NO.. not matured enough..still the boom boom kid.. They are competing with each other..not on cricket..on hitting 6s! Aftab,Ash & Tamim.

Fantastic
December 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
Check out this video of Ashraful hitting four and Styris' reaction

http://www.sgmod.net/?q=node&page=1

cricman
December 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
You could say ..Ashraful is performing.. quite consistently.. but MATURING .. NO.. not matured enough..still the boom boom kid.. They are competing with each other..not on cricket..on hitting 6s! Aftab,Ash & Tamim.

At the moment, he did what was needed of him we were batting @ 3 an over after 16 overs. He gave our RR the boost we needed gave us a real chance of winning, and it obvious he's the only one who isn't troubled by the extra bounce. Bowl it short to him he's gonna hit for 6, plus basically when he was out he was mad at himself because he thought there was no fielder there and he hit the ball pretty good too.

SN < Boom Boom Kids

akabir77
December 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
uff its too early to say. why do we have open such thread just after one innings and Jinx's him...

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 01:21 PM
Check out this video of Ashraful hitting four and Styris' reaction

http://www.sgmod.net/?q=node&page=1

that link looks dodgy

Fantastic
December 26, 2007, 02:06 PM
that link looks dodgy

i didn't know how to post video but here it is

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LuDxem9P1Mg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LuDxem9P1Mg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

akabir77
December 26, 2007, 02:20 PM
is there any high lite of the game available?

al-Sagar
December 27, 2007, 01:58 AM
we have seen earlier ahraful banging a good innings early in the series and the go on to sleep for the reminder.

what about this time ...........

what is your feelings about his further contribition in this series.

Nocturnal
December 27, 2007, 02:03 AM
haha.....you are talking about Eid then :-p

"Ashraful is like the Eids. Lots of fun twice a year. "

(if you still don't understand then check this one- Link (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=542059&postcount=10) )

AsifTheManRahman
December 27, 2007, 02:26 AM
He's been better as far as consistency is concerned, at least in the year 2007. Even when he scores in 20's and 30's, he does look pretty good until he gets himself out. However, being the captain and most talented batsman of a very young team, he has to take on some more responsibility, harsh as it sounds. I think he's headed in the right direction though. There have been improvements, no matter how slight.

Sohel
December 27, 2007, 02:35 AM
He's been better as far as consistency is concerned, at least in the year 2007. Even when he scores in 20's and 30's, he does look pretty good until he gets himself out. However, being the captain and most talented batsman of a very young team, he has to take on some more responsibility, harsh as it sounds. I think he's headed in the right direction though. There have been improvements, no matter how slight.

Spot on. His improvements since captaincy have been visible no matter how slight they are in light of our HUGE expectations. The young man HAS turned the "30s corner" and I expect him to turn the "50s" from now until the next WC ... :)

zainab
December 27, 2007, 08:16 AM
There are many Ashraful's bashers and haters here and also there are loyal and genuine fans. For all the fans, I would like to share this with you.
I was watching at a program called"Cricket America" and ever so often they feature a player profile of a young rising star and to my surprise it was no other but Mohammad ASHRAFUL
The feature was introduced by one Mr Utpul Shuvro of Protham,who praised Ashraful and referred to him as a lucky find for BD and who has become a dedicated cricketer.
After this Ashraful was interviewed, I think that this was before the 20/20 tour.
He began by saying that football was more popular than cricket and his love of cricket began when he used to accompany his cousin Abdul Ahmed Poneer who was playing for the second division league.He used to watch all his matches and he is the one who influenced him to play cricket by making him practice bowling and batting when he was about 8 to 9 yrs old.
He said that he began as a net boy at 9 yrs of age at Sidhesdheswary Cricket ground just to watch the seniors play cricket, then the captain gave him the opportunity to bowl and bat with the seniors. He played for Amarjyti club as a leg spinner. He spoke fondly of his mentor Wahidul Ghani, of his influence and how he encouraged him to play against the seniors at 10-11 yrs of age. He played a lot of cricket, but his dream was to play for the National team.He got his first break when he was chosen as a leg spinner in the team playing against SL. He came in to bat at NO 7 in the first innings and made 26 runs, then his captain Naimur Rahman told him to bat at NO6 in the second innings. He had Aminul Islam as a good partner.
When asked how he managed to bat against Murali, he said that he looked carefully at a video of the SL game against Pakistan where Murali took 12 wickets. He looked very carefully at his bowling style and also his fingers, He was the danger and had to devise a plan in his mind how to play him. The plan worked and he made 116 runs and his maiden test century at 17 years of age as the youngest test centurion has given him a distinct identity in world cricket.
He also spoke fondly about some of his successes, prays that he can repeat them, spoke of his failures, that he could have done much better in his career, but is trying very hard now also with the added burden of captaincy.
Shaun Williams was also interviewed and he said that Ash is a dedicated cricketer, has been for the greatest part of his life, and always talk about uplifting BD cricket and doing what is best for BD.He gets along well with his team and is very much a leader and mentor.
During the interview, they showed many clips of Ash playing cricket from the time he was 10 yrs of age up to present day. It ended with Ash playing some of his beautiful stroke play against SA and his last century against SL.
Weeks ago, they did a player profile on Rahim also, and someone told me that they did one on Tamim which i did not see.

I was so happy to have been lucky to watch this, Ash was so calm and relaxed and one can see how he loves cricket and his dedication.

Murad
December 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for sharing, Zainab.

Ashraful is the best. He loves the cricket and the country. He's the most exciting player to watch in the world(IMO). And thats why I love him so much. :)

BTW where do you watch the program? on TV? I also want to watch the program.

Imtiazk
December 27, 2007, 08:22 AM

I do not want to get involved in this debate but Ashraful is a better batsman than Afridi. To Afridi, it is a number's game. "Iye gain marna hai" however, good or bad the ball is.

Protic
December 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
At the moment, he did what was needed of him we were batting @ 3 an over after 16 overs. He gave our RR the boost we needed gave us a real chance of winning, and it obvious he's the only one who isn't troubled by the extra bounce. Bowl it short to him he's gonna hit for 6, plus basically when he was out he was mad at himself because he thought there was no fielder there and he hit the ball pretty good too.

SN < Boom Boom Kids

Well..yes we needed a RR boost..but he should have told Tamim not to go after every bowler since he was doing that.. maybe he did..tamim din wanted to listen..lol.. But hey.. after 22 overs..the RR was VERY GOOD.. but still he continued hitting...and the timing wasnt really great when he got out..the fielder took it easily and quite away from the ropes.

zainab
December 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for sharing, Zainab.

Ashraful is the best. He loves the cricket and the country. He's the most exciting player to watch in the world(IMO). And thats why I love him so much. :)

BTW where do you watch the program? on TV? I also want to watch the program.

It is a program aired by an American channel. We get it in Canada through the local cable company, shown on channel 577 and is aired Sunday night at 7.30 pm. I watch it sometimes when i am at home.