PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions are deceptive - Bowling speed - the official figures

Imtiazk
December 24, 2007, 10:48 PM
There was some discussion about the relative bowling speeds of Shahadat, Farhad and Sajid.

Here are the exact figures based on the sample of 4 overs bowled by each:

Summary
Shahadat Sajid Farhad Ashraful Sakib Aftab

131.86 130.17 129.24 100.00 91.93 109.67
based on number of balls bowled for each
21 18 21 20 14 3

No speeds were shown after some balls.

However, Shahadat had one "slower" bouncer measured at 117 kph.

Excluding that, his average pace over 20 del. 132.60 kph.

Sajid bowled no slower deliveries.

Farhad bowled 3 slower deliveries measured at 111,113,115.

Excluding those, his average pace over 18 del. 131.94 kph

Interestingly, Farhad's one bouncer was measured at 129 kph.

So was Shahadat's. The one which clattered into Southee's visor.

Shahadat's fastest was 137 kph. Sajid's 135 kph, Farhad's 135 kph.

Sajid took his wicket with his 135 kph delivery.

Shahadat's yorker was also bowled at 135 kph. [ Southee ]

Ashraful bowled consistently between 100 - 104. The last ball was a
leg break, at 79 kph. All other Ashraful deliveries were seam-up floaters.

Sakib bowled at 92 kph and Aftab's 3 measued delivery averaged 109 kph.

Pundit
December 24, 2007, 11:46 PM
Sigh - all this is good for Farhad and Sajid. I wish Shahadat averaged 135 kmph. But maybe, the more important fact is that his peak was at 137, and the danger ball at 135.

I wonder how many deliveries are >= 135 kmph ? >= 25% would be really nice.

The effect of speed should be obvious to all from Masri's game vs. India.

AsifTheManRahman
December 25, 2007, 01:01 AM
It's still pretty heartening to see that our fourth and fifth pacers can bowl around the 130 mark regularly. A few years ago, our fastest bowler would struggle to reach 130.

al-Sagar
December 25, 2007, 02:37 AM
ashraful was mixing up some spinning balls with sum seam up balls like tendulkar does.

Nocturnal
December 25, 2007, 02:41 AM
can anyone tell the bowling speed of current NZ bowlers?

hoodlum
December 25, 2007, 02:44 AM
It's still pretty heartening to see that our fourth and fifth pacers can bowl around the 130 mark regularly. A few years ago, our fastest bowler would struggle to reach 130.

Absolutely correct...few years ago our bowlers struggled to reach 130kph and as far as i remember the fastest ball delivered at that time was 133kph by bikash ranjan das in the inaugural test match of bangladesh.

hoodlum
December 25, 2007, 02:49 AM
can anyone tell the bowling speed of current NZ bowlers?

gillespie usually averages 138-140kph,mills averages 128-133kph,martin averages 135-140kph

Nocturnal
December 25, 2007, 02:55 AM
gillespie usually averages 138-140kph,mills averages 128-133kph,martin averages 135-140kph

thanks.
it does not look too bad. our batsman should handle this, we will see how that granait slab practice works for tigers.

Spitfire_x86
December 25, 2007, 02:55 AM
Absolutely correct...few years ago our bowlers struggled to reach 130kph and as far as i remember the fastest ball delivered at that time was 133kph by bikash ranjan das in the inaugural test match of bangladesh.
I saw Shanto hitting 135 kph in Meril Inernational Cup (1999)

AsifTheManRahman
December 25, 2007, 03:11 AM
I saw him throw one down at 136 in the same tournament. In any case, he was probably the only one in his time who could hit 130 fairly frequently.

lamisa
December 25, 2007, 04:21 AM
my question is y is aftab being so under-bowld nd y is mehrab the magnificent not being usd?i mean aftabs nt a bad bowler nd mehrab can bowl off-spinners 2.

Game On
December 25, 2007, 04:36 AM
Spinners can't bowl that fast , they have to cut their speed .

Aftab is the only bowler to get 5 wickets in a match against the Kiwis . So he still can bowl for few in the middle overs not & ofcourse not at the end .

Nocturnal
December 25, 2007, 04:42 AM
my question is y is aftab being so under-bowld nd y is mehrab the magnificent not being usd?i mean aftabs nt a bad bowler nd mehrab can bowl off-spinners 2.

mehrab jr. yet to seal his spot in the team as an automatic choice in both form of game and we would be better of if gets more runs while batting. So far he played 10 odi and got 3 wkts at 36.00 avg is not that good, but yes if gets a chance in the playing eleven in NZ he should try out few overs. and Aftab's odi bowling avg is 52.41 with 5.27 econ rate is not good either. Mash-Shahadat-Sajid-Razzak-Farhad-Sakib and then we have got few part-timer like Mehrab,Ash,Aftab for odi's should be good.

Imtiazk
December 25, 2007, 05:03 AM
I wonder how many deliveries are >= 135 kmph ? >= 25% would be really nice.

The answer is 5 out of 21 [ 24% ]. This included a wide and a wicket taking delivery.

Imtiazk
December 25, 2007, 05:07 AM
mehrab jr. So far he played 10 odi and got 3 wkts at 36.00 avg is not that good,

The important point is not how many ODI's he has played but how many overs did he get to bowl. Considering he was the best [sic] bowler in the U19 WC, he is hardly being used. I would n't think he would be any worse a bowler than Sakib or Ashraful.
Maybe, in the last two years his bowling has deteriorated rapidly. Who knows ?

lamisa
December 25, 2007, 05:09 AM
mehrab jr. yet to seal his spot in the team as an automatic choice in both form of game and we would be better of if gets more runs while batting. So far he played 10 odi and got 3 wkts at 36.00 avg is not that good, but yes if gets a chance in the playing eleven in NZ he should try out few overs. and Aftab's odi bowling avg is 52.41 with 5.27 econ rate is not good either. Mash-Shahadat-Sajid-Razzak-Farhad-Sakib and then we have got few part-timer like Mehrab,Ash,Aftab for odi's should be good.

datz wat i mnt,dat de r optionz which rnt being utilised much.mehrab shud b given a try wid da ball wen hez in da playn 11.he prformd quite well in a NCL match wid da ball.aftab shud also b given a try in da middle overz say durin 20-30 overz.Ash's economic rate is 6.08 in ODI's tho his avg. is lower dan aftabz .but despite of havn such a high econ.in ODI's he has been seen more frequently in ODI's recently dan aftab.eita ki thik, bolen?:confused:

KnightBD
December 25, 2007, 05:25 AM
I really think that we should stop using part time bowlers and stick with 5 full timers. Mash, Shahadat, Razzak, Farhad, Sajid - seems a good attack.

Gowza
December 25, 2007, 05:26 AM
Spinners can't bowl that fast , they have to cut their speed .

well depending on whether you consider SF Barnes a spinner or a pace bowler makes this debatable. some spinners can get it over 100kph but usually don't get much turn at that pace, barnes however apparently bowled leg spin and off spin at pace whilst also swinging the ball. the question obviously is whether he bowled leg cutters/off cutters or leg spinners/off spinners, but from what i've read he apparently actually did bowl leg/off spinners not leg/off cutters.

nobody
December 25, 2007, 05:41 AM
well depending on whether you consider SF Barnes a spinner or a pace bowler makes this debatable. some spinners can get it over 100kph but usually don't get much turn at that pace, barnes however apparently bowled leg spin and off spin at pace whilst also swinging the ball. the question obviously is whether he bowled leg cutters/off cutters or leg spinners/off spinners, but from what i've read he apparently actually did bowl leg/off spinners not leg/off cutters.
ditto. I read somewhere Chandrashekar used to give bouncer to the opposition in tit for tat as no indian pacer at that time have good enough fast bouncer. I might be wrong

Gowza
December 25, 2007, 05:46 AM
ditto. I read somewhere Chandrashekar used to give bouncer to the opposition in tit for tat as no indian pacer at that time have good enough fast bouncer. I might be wrong

i remember when warne developed a bouncer, that thing looked absolutely horrible from a leg spinner.

Yameen
December 25, 2007, 06:46 AM
i thought it was a silly decision to give aftab the last over in the 20/20 match, he cant seem to contain the batsmen as he used to, should be used in the middle overs of a 50/50 game when batsmen are just knocking around for singles, in my opinion

hoodlum
December 25, 2007, 07:03 AM
I saw him throw one down at 136 in the same tournament. In any case, he was probably the only one in his time who could hit 130 fairly frequently.

shafiuddin babu was also another quick (in terms if bangladeshi standard) bowler who could hit 130 at dat time...though i didnt see any speeds of him but i heard from a reporter of krirajagat..according to him he saw babu hitting 135kph mark against west indies 'A' lead by ian bishop...

Imtiazk
December 25, 2007, 07:04 AM

Viv Richards is on record saying that Chandra's bouncers were the most difficult he faced. Talking about "fast" slow bowlers; in the last 30 years there were none better than
"Deadly" Underwood [ 297 wickets ]
and. of course, Kumble [ currently ].

Nafi
December 25, 2007, 11:39 AM

Aftab bowling should never be used again in one day games, he will be smacked for sixes.

Anher
December 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
datz wat i mnt,dat de r optionz which rnt being utilised much.mehrab shud b given a try wid da ball wen hez in da playn 11.he prformd quite well in a NCL match wid da ball.aftab shud also b given a try in da middle overz say durin 20-30 overz.Ash's economic rate is 6.08 in ODI's tho his avg. is lower dan aftabz .but despite of havn such a high econ.in ODI's he has been seen more frequently in ODI's recently dan aftab.eita ki thik, bolen?:confused:

rumorS rumorS rumorS.

rumorS [বাংলা] এর প্রেতাওা। [/বাংলা]