PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas!!

Ganguly da
December 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all Christian BC members and anyone else who enjoys the flavor of Christmas and Santa. Midnight mass at church is incredibly moving and touching.

Just out of curiosity has anyone over here ever visited a church?

abdulw11
December 25, 2007, 02:01 PM

I did, on a religious studies trip in year 7 or 8.

Nocturnal
December 25, 2007, 02:05 PM
Merry Christmas!!
[বাংলা]সবাইকে বড়দিনের শুভেচছা[/বাংলা]

MohammedC
December 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone

al Furqaan
December 25, 2007, 02:12 PM

my pre-school was a Lutheran church. went their 5 times a day for a year (150 days or so, I'd imagine). other than that i haven't been to a church, but hey, how many non-christians have been to a church a couple hundred times?

i've been to a Kingdom Hall of Jehova's Witnesses, and been to a numerous Bible studies. ahh, yes, now i remember, a bible study back in 2004 was at a church.

Yameen
December 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
Christmas aint just celebrated by christians, I should think Muslims would celebrate it too, its celebrates the birth of Jesus, he was also their prophet...

yeh ive been to churhces with my school etc..

merry xmas all!!

Rumz_01
December 25, 2007, 02:46 PM
Yep, i went to a church every wednesday for 8 years in Primary school. It was a Roman Catholic school, we sang hymns and prayed, went to mass and everything. To this day i remember the Hail Mary and the Our Father...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

al Furqaan
December 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
Christmas aint just celebrated by christians, I should think Muslims would celebrate it too, its celebrates the birth of Jesus, he was also their prophet...

merry xmas all!!

muslims don't - rather shouldn't - even celebrate the birthday of Muhammad (saw) or the birthday of Adam (as), why celebrate birthdays of others?

birthdays are never mentioned in the quran or even the hadith.

Moshin
December 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
Merry Christmas to our Christian BanglaCricket members!

Tehsin
December 25, 2007, 03:58 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I have been to churches, Mandirs, etc. Places of worship usually have a serene quality to them. Realigions are great, it's the zealots that you gotta worry about. The whole, me, myself, and I (err, my belief) am better then you crap is part of human nature.

One World
December 25, 2007, 09:47 PM
muslims don't - rather shouldn't - even celebrate the birthday of Muhammad (saw) or the birthday of Adam (as), why celebrate birthdays of others?

birthdays are never mentioned in the quran or even the hadith.

Man cut some slack. Its not there but its not said either not to celebrate. Otherwise we wont be celebrating Pohela Boishakh, Victory Day etc. cos the socio-political situation in Mid East at that time never really provided such ceremonies to pop up thus never got mentioned in then or afterwards medieval literature.

Antora
December 25, 2007, 11:37 PM
merry christamas :)

Bancan
December 26, 2007, 12:11 AM
merry christmas and a happy chanukah

Ajfar
December 26, 2007, 12:23 AM

i didd...when i went to visit providence collegee..n my parents went too...they didn't knw that it was a cathollic school untill we walked in the church..

ammark
December 26, 2007, 02:02 AM

Notre Dame on Christmas Mass when I was a kid. Boy was I bored! To wake up early in the morning and the biting cold, then to watch people drone on their latin hymns and light candles. It was a far cry from what I'd imagined: Santa Claus with gifts!

As for the nicest and most serene church experience, the Armenian Church in Armanitola... guided tour by Fr. Martirossian

rubel_18
December 26, 2007, 07:09 AM
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Yes I have I used to go to a Church of England Primary School. I remmeber singing those hymns, especially wen I was younger the church used to freak me out cos it was so big and theres bare dark corners....lol I know it was stupid but still

James90
December 26, 2007, 07:15 AM
my pre-school was a Lutheran church. went their 5 times a day for a year (150 days or so, I'd imagine). other than that i haven't been to a church, but hey, how many non-christians have been to a church a couple hundred times?

i've been to a Kingdom Hall of Jehova's Witnesses, and been to a numerous Bible studies. ahh, yes, now i remember, a bible study back in 2004 was at a church.
I'd be getting up around one thousand. Hated about 98% of those visits though.

Zobair
December 26, 2007, 10:50 AM
Merry christmas...and a happy new year to every one...

I have been to a few dozen churches. I attended christmas eve mass once in a beautiful church in Montreal. Unfortunately I was a poor student who was there out of curiosity. I didn't have any money on me when the ornate donation plate came along and had to cop a few dirty looks from the good folks who were no doubt horrified at the presence of a scrooge amongst them in this season of generosity! I smiled apologetically and made a swift exit once the mass was over :)

Bengaliprince176
December 26, 2007, 03:04 PM
Merry belated xmas guys!! have a happy new year!! i went to one church, the one in Kolkata- St Pauls? nice building!!

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 03:14 PM

As a matter of fact- last week!

Other than that, many churches in many different countries. A few years back- went to a Sikh temple and had some authentic desi food, too.:D

BTW, is there any Christian friends here at BC?

al Furqaan
December 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'd be getting up around one thousand. Hated about 98% of those visits though.

i enjoy church visits.

the only one i did not enjoy was where they had music and i sat right next to a blarring speaker!

it was more like a rock concert and less like a house of worship almost.

BangladeshFan
December 26, 2007, 05:44 PM
i visited a few historic churches, one is them is the st. marys church in bristol, england. its a very old one and probably attended by authors of robinson crusoe/ tresure island or some famous pirates. long john silver was the impersonfiication of a famous pirate born in bristol i think. i met an english guy there who said he went to bangladesh during the 2nd world war by boat(or ship) :).

another church i went was near freiburg, germany near the french border......... over a hill top and very old as well.

damalChele
December 26, 2007, 05:58 PM

merry xmas all!!

Why should muslims celebrate something that even Jesus himself didnt celebrate. He is our prophet (peace be upon him) but there's no real account of his exact birtdate. I am not sure whether the holy Quran talks about his birthdate.

Shockingly though, some of the christian scholars admit that Jesus Christ wasn't even born on December the 25th. You can google it. There are various sources backing this claim.
Here's something I found might be a good read. http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/was-jesus-born-on-december-25-faq.htm

Nafis_BD
December 26, 2007, 06:22 PM
Merry Belated Christmas to everyone who celebrates it. I have been to churches before with my dad and I think uncle too because they were doing some religious research or something like that. I don't remember it that well though.

James90
December 26, 2007, 07:00 PM
i enjoy church visits.

the only one i did not enjoy was where they had music and i sat right next to a blarring speaker!

it was more like a rock concert and less like a house of worship almost.
I was brought up going to a prespyterian church and from what I remember I didn't mind it too much. Stopped going when I was 8 or 9. I went to a Lutheran high school though so I had to attend a service every day for five years. By the end of that you'd need a lot of faith to still enjoy the visits.

Electrequiem
December 27, 2007, 03:09 PM

merry xmas all!!

December 25th is not Jesus (PBUH) birthday.It was a pagan holiday established by Roman Emperor Aurelian to exalt the Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_25). When Christianity started becoming popular in Europe, many elements of the Roman religion fused with it, with the grand celebrations of December 25th being one of them.

Jesus (PBUH), as indicated by many scriptures, was actually born sometimes during the summer/spring.

Parisa
December 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
ganguay da i went to a catholic school so yeah i went to a catholic church coupla times....why u wanna know this?