PDA

View Full Version : Selectors drop Rafiq from NZ bound Test squad

Miraz
December 26, 2007, 07:53 AM
This is unacceptable. We lose our only Test standard spinner due to personal ego of the selectors.

Media release from BCB

26 December 2007
Auckland , New Zealand
Media Release
Three players to join Test Squad in New Zealand

The following cricketers have been selected to join with the Bangladesh National Cricket Team in New Zealand to participate in the two-match Test series:

1. Habibul Bashar

2. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed

3. Enamul Haque Jr.

The players are due to arrive in New Zealand on 29 December 2007.

Four cricketers from the ODI squad will return home from New Zealand on completion of the ongoing three-match ODI series. The names will be announced later.

Rabeed Imam

Media Manager
Bangladesh Cricket Team

zainab
December 26, 2007, 07:58 AM
Maybe Rafiq does not want to play, during the NCL, he was not focussed at all.
He did not perform well in the last test outing against Sri Lanka.

Miraz
December 26, 2007, 08:00 AM
Maybe Rafiq does not want to play, during the NCL, he was not focussed at all.

Nope!! he was up for selection and took part in the training camp.

zainab
December 26, 2007, 08:03 AM
I am surprised that they did not send Mashud. Seems that poor Rahim will have to keep wickets in the Test matches.

Imtiazk
December 26, 2007, 08:11 AM
Bashar's selection is typical of Bangladesh - and not just cricket. Always looking towards the past. His performance in the Mirzapore was just about average.
As he has been selected, I presume he will be selected for the tests, otherwise there is no point in taking him. He certainly won't be carrying the drinks given our cultural hangups regarding seniority etc. This is indeed be a retrogade step.

Rafique's deselection is not surprising given his form in the Mirzapore. That makes Bashar's selection all the more surprising.

Presumably, this means that Aftab is in the squad, which is definitely an improvement over the team in Sri Lanka.

Mashud not being selected almost amounts to bias. There is nothing more he could have done in the Mirzapore to merit selection. We now have a wicket-keeper who is probably not even in the top 3 in the country and batting-wise completely out of form.

Do we know who are going back ?

Miraz
December 26, 2007, 08:24 AM
Masud unfortunately is suffering from a viral fever and that's the official explanation for his omission.

Imtiazk
December 26, 2007, 08:45 AM
Masud unfortunately is suffering from a viral fever and that's the official explanation for his omission.

Thanks. I did not know that.

Do we know who are being sent back ? I hope not Aftab again.

taklima_naj
December 26, 2007, 09:30 AM
I think it was a bad decision interms of Test, Rafiq would be more better instead of Rajjaq.

Sovik
December 26, 2007, 09:52 AM
Habibul Bashar! why?

Protic
December 26, 2007, 10:07 AM
I personally want to see Bashar in the test squad.. i think he'll do good..New Zealand bowling isnt special.. but dropping Rafique? thats just crap.. Razzak isnt ready for tests yet.. Thats just sad.. It was his chance to take 100 test wickets.. thats just simply PATHETIC.

Spitfire_x86
December 26, 2007, 10:13 AM
This is only the beginning, who know what will we see in the days to come :down:

Protic
December 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
Atleast Shahriar Nafees is there.. I'd like to see Tamim & Shahriar Nafees open for the 1st test.

Imtiazk
December 26, 2007, 11:03 AM
Atleast Shahriar Nafees is there.. I'd like to see Tamim & Shahriar Nafees open for the 1st test.

What if Zunaid scores a 100 tomorrow ?

Tigers_eye
December 26, 2007, 11:11 AM
Rafiq will be included against SA if he does what he is suppose to do in NCL. Why is he not playing away games? Personal reasons. Yes, NCL's away games are not that important (when the entire BCB is trying to make it respectable). This should be a good learning lesson for the future super stars. Let personal reasons not affect away matches.

KMasud's bad luck. He was a sure shot. Let us see if Mushi grabs this opportunity with both hands.

Last life line for SN.

Habibul Bashar, nothing to say. Only to pray he crosses 20s in his innings.

AsifTheManRahman
December 26, 2007, 11:27 AM
I guess Rafiq was dropped more because of attitude issues than performance ones. In any case, I doubt Enam has the ability to replace him - the guy needs to settle down to a stable action first.

All in all, the bowling isn't looking too good on this tour, and the batting is as usual. Let's hope for all the best.

Omio
December 26, 2007, 11:27 AM
Unacceptable..
Rafique should be in the squad.

jisaan
December 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
This is unacceptable. We lose our only Test standard spinner due to personal ego of the selectors.

i've predicted it more than once. it continue to be so. read the next line carefully:

durjoy, akram & rafiqul have alwayes been biased to a certain quarter of our cricket. they come from the same lobby.

Rafiq has never been favorite to them. & their favorite ones? the ridiculous decision to include javed in the odis is some indication about their dear ones. next in line?
rokon, shejan, taposh & alok.

DJ Sahastra
December 26, 2007, 11:54 AM
Rafique may or may not have performend well on NZ tour.

But he definitely deserved to be in the squad.

Dropping him this was is totally unfair and detrimental to BD team interest.

jisaan
December 26, 2007, 11:55 AM
Unacceptable..
Rafique should be in the squad.

this lobby prevented Minhajul Abedin Nannu from playing test cricket. They made rafique a 'mere one-day bowler' in order to accommodate enamul huq moni (with due respect to him)

Their next mission?

Stop Rafique on the wrong side of 100 test wkts.

Dhakablues
December 26, 2007, 12:13 PM
Man,, how could they even fathom such selection? Dropping Mashud/Rafique from Test when we know that we have absolute defficiencies in those areas? I mean selecting them and them failing would be much better decision. To include more batsman is not a solution to Bangladesh's misery. Enam didnt really perform that great to earn a recall, though he must be in the pool of players. Dropping Rafique in Test is suicidal when he is the highest wicket taker... and Mashud dropping because of fever is absolutely baseless. The selectors are trying to police the senior players than really thinking of the Bangladesh team. I am very dissapointed in how they decided to include Bashar/Nafees and not the players that are in form. Makes a mockery of the NCL and the whole performance based selection BS.

Mahmood
December 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
The seletors are really hurting us now. First the selection of ordinary players like Mehrab, Forhad and Nazmul, now not taking Rafiq and Pilot.

Do they really want to make sure Bangladesh lose all matches in New Zealand and does not repeat the accidental T20 win? Or is this a plot to make the new coach look incompetent?

Anher
December 26, 2007, 12:29 PM
Rafiq will be included against SA if he does what he is suppose to do in NCL. Why is he not playing away games? Personal reasons. Yes, NCL's away games are not that important (when the entire BCB is trying to make it respectable). This should be a good learning lesson for the future super stars. Let personal reasons not affect away matches. .

Agree.

Last life line for SN. .

Have to disagree here. I see no reason to believe its last life line for a batsman who got good international career like SN. Certainly he is not another Al Shariar or talented players whom we already lost. On one hand he might have most of centuries aginst weaker opponents but on the other hand he scored decent scores agianst big guns...

akabir77
December 26, 2007, 12:31 PM
This was the first really really bad decision by akram and co.

I can take the pilots drop as he is sick. but rafiq? no way. he is the only super star in our team and opponent actually think about how to play him over night. now they can have a good night sleep and beat the hell out of our bowlers.

We also desperately needed masud in the test team as mushi is still form less will score another four or five zeros in this series....

Tigers_eye
December 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
I_K_U,
shoshur bari'r ranna khawar shou bhaggho hoisay? How about buo'r modhu mishano ranna? Teel chop chop biriani? Murgir rrost? SN did most of the scoring before he munched on those mouth watering dishes regularly.

arafath79
December 26, 2007, 12:42 PM
Rafique would be better choice than Enamul jnr.

arafath79
December 26, 2007, 12:45 PM
And yes, Khaled Mashub supposed to be better choice as a keeper in the test squad instead of Mushfiqur.

Anher
December 26, 2007, 12:48 PM
I_K_U,
shoshur bari'r ranna khawar shou bhaggho hoisay? How about buo'r modhu mishano ranna? Teel chop chop biriani? Murgir rrost? SN did most of the scoring before he munched on those mouth watering dishes regularly.

I was only saying this shouldn't his last opportunity.

[বাংলা] নাফিসের শশুর, শাশুরি, বউয়ের উপর আমি মামলা করতে চললাম। কুত্তার পেটে ঘি সয়না। ঘি মাখা পোলাও মাংস খাওয়াইয়া এই অবস্তা করা হইছে। [/বাংলা]

roaring tigerz
December 26, 2007, 01:13 PM
I saw it coming from a mile. Rafiq's powers have clearly been on the decline in recent times. We have not played many tests in recent times, but even in Srilanka his bowling looked predictable and defensive. He is our leading wicket taker, but every wicket comes with a price tag of over 40 runs, definitely not figures of a matchwinner.

Enam has long been an understudy of Rafiq. Its about time we look to the future and give Enam a prolonged run. If Rafiq can take domestic games more seriously and make a comeback, a.k.a Mashud, kudos to him.

al Furqaan
December 26, 2007, 01:57 PM
rafique really didn't do anything to legitimize getting selected. no man is above the team. personally it pains me to see that we might have to wait a really long time before we see the first 100 wicket taker in Tests. but thats how it goes. plus this is enam's time to kick some rear.

i am more upset with pilot's exclusion. he earned it. if he's sick, fine. but if not, then selectors really messed up. at the same time, i am a bigger believer in mushy. doesn't matter how many ducks he scores against express guys. the way he handled murali for 2 sessions in tests is all i need to know about this 18 year old.

the thing that pisses me off is that HaBa got picked and he did jack squat in NCL. unless he's playing ashraful's "don't care about non-int'l matches", he has no business being near the team with his irresponsibilities and defeatist mindset. and he can't even bat!

thankfully, if bashar fails, this will be the end of his career. and since he will play the Tests, i hope he gets the 47 runs needed for 3000.

BD-Shardul
December 26, 2007, 02:20 PM
Prothom Alo reported that Bashar was very serious during the practice session. He said to the journalists, "Nayok hole bhalo chilo. buro hoye gele noyoker baba hishebe obhinoy kortam"......Let's see how he performs.

Mohiul
December 26, 2007, 02:40 PM
Things are not going right now a days. It's unacceptable dropping Rafique from test squad at same time Rafique should have shown enough seriousness to the ongoing NCL. Anyway, I hope it will be sorted out as early as possible

Murad
December 26, 2007, 02:48 PM
DHattt.. I hate this selection team. They suck. Dhurjoy and Co.are stupid as ever. They are biased towards some players. Dhurjoy and Co likes Mushi too much. They are getting blind. They can't see that Mushi is not performing in both batting and keeping. How many more chances we have to give to this kid? We want to drop tamim after some matches but we have to take Mushi in every matches despite his bad form. Just want to know why? What have this boy done? Why is he so special in the team? I don't see anything special in his batting. He's too short of a batsman. He can't handle fast bowls. He always gives edges to the keeper or slip fielders. 3 consecutive ducks in ODIs so far. I wonnder how many we have to see in days to come. Whey do our selectors have to select the team they like? Why can't they think of the team's future? Mushi is not the future keeper. They should have given the keeping job to Mashud for the Test series. If Mushi drops a catch in the Test matches, I wiill just curse DHurjoy and Co. Stupid Selectors. These losers will never learn.

On the other hand, it was good. If Mushi can't perform as a keeper in the Test series, then we will see the end of him there. We might not see him in the SA Africa series, only if the selectors get some brain by then.

Another bad thing about them is.. They selected Mehrab in the ODI team, when the last selection panel dropped him. They selected him from no where. They should have gone for someone else.

Enam's inclusion is the best thing they have done so far. He's the best spinner in our country.

hoodlum
December 26, 2007, 03:08 PM

tamim wont be playing in da tests...

hoodlum
December 26, 2007, 03:10 PM
dese selectors should be kicked out now before dey do any damage again...rafiq is our asset in test cricket and dese stupid ppl didn select him in da test squad...

hoodlum
December 26, 2007, 03:14 PM
Rafiq has never been favorite to them. & their favorite ones? the ridiculous decision to include javed in the odis is some indication about their dear ones. next in line?

i doubt dis might prove right...

Eshen
December 26, 2007, 04:25 PM
Mohammad Rafique got dropped from the team because of his bad form since the India series, how is that the same logic is not applied for Habibul Bashar ???

Miraz
December 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
Mohammad Rafique got dropped from the team because of his bad form since the India series, how is that the same logic is not applied for Habibul Bashar ???

Rubbish logic. In the last ODI Rafiq played, he picked a 4-for against Africa XI in the afro-asia cup ODI and still gets dropped from ODI.

Now after a bad series, he gets dropped from Test!! selectors are forgetting that he single handedly fought for Bangladesh on most Test matches.

kalpurush
December 26, 2007, 05:04 PM
[বাংলা]এই লজ্জা আমি রাখি কোথায়? আহা...স্বজনপ্রিতি (!):hairpull:
রফিকহীন বাংলাদেশ টেস্ট দল যে ডুবাবে আমাদের... :([/বাংলা]

MohammedC
December 26, 2007, 05:13 PM
Pathetic decision by BCB. Rafique is the leading performer against New Zealand. Politics wont take Bangladesh cricket anywhere.

Antora
December 26, 2007, 05:53 PM
PAthetic...... no raffique:( and ewwww bashar? im toooootally looking forward to the test matches:waiting:

Antora
December 26, 2007, 05:54 PM

me too. But is Tamim going to play test?

Sauron
December 26, 2007, 07:01 PM
Rafiq will be included against SA if he does what he is suppose to do in NCL. Why is he not playing away games? Personal reasons. Yes, NCL's away games are not that important (when the entire BCB is trying to make it respectable). This should be a good learning lesson for the future super stars. Let personal reasons not affect away matches.

KMasud's bad luck. He was a sure shot. Let us see if Mushi grabs this opportunity with both hands.

Last life line for SN.

words from the wise.

Most of the people in this thread (I am not including minors, they are entitled to revel in ill logic) are busy hero worshipping. Read T_E's post again and if you still don't get it, you have some more growing up to do. Pima-donna's are never good for a team.

Ajfar
December 26, 2007, 07:19 PM
n why is enmul haque jr. on that listt???

BD Tigers
December 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
we played 2 test series after one year and played a lot, i mean A LOT of ODIs at that time. And bowling in ODI is not same as bowling in Tests. Thats why everybody struggled, even Rafique. So dropping him from the test team is a huge disappointment.

As for Pilot, he deserved his chance. I dont know why he didnt get it. Making a small blunder in TEST makes it HUGE. I really hope Mushi doesnt do that like he did in Srilanka.

PoorFan
December 26, 2007, 11:49 PM
I don't see problem Rafiq being dropped for this series, may be he will be picked up coming SA home series, given he played well in NCL. It is time we see things as it is first, stick to a consistent selection process for all, instead of smelling conspiracy, politics every time. Even Rafiq himself, and ex captain Bashar welcomed / accepted this selection ( Rafiq being dropped ), if you read news paper carefully.

We all know Rafiq didn't take NCL games seriously and was absent ( personal reason ) in away matches, for which captain Ash was NOT at all happy. We should not tolerate these crap attitude if we really want domestic cricket competitive and upgraded in standard. Nor should we tolerate any 'auto choice' in national team other than performance and hard work in domestic league.

As for Pilot, he deserved a call but had fever as far I know, so no surprise for me.

al-Sagar
December 27, 2007, 12:46 AM
interesting. we allready have 4 openers at NZ

one more coming. looks like two from mehrab tamim junaed javd omar will come back.

actually i would have preferred tamim and junaed to continue opening in the test series. because hey have got a good feel of the conditions and having some good knocks. it could be harder for JO or SN who have'nt had a good outing

al Furqaan
December 27, 2007, 01:49 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/nzvbdesh/content/story/327694.html

from rafiqul's tone in this article, i have to say i agree with him. given what he says is true.

didn't like rafique's attitude, fine. and we all know he hasn't done diddly in the domestics.

they wanted to give mushy a chance and i agree. i think the sky is the limit for this guy. one of the few bats we have with patience and a genuine technique. we can't be switching keepers every other series. consistency and persistent faith are the key for us.

the bashar selection was the most blameworthy, but we all saw that coming.

Imtiazk
December 27, 2007, 02:02 AM
No one - not even Rafique and Bashar - should be selected on historical record if that history is more than a year old. I believe today the team will suffer more if Rafique plays and Razzak does not. Razzak not playing has hurt us. Don't just look at his economy rate but also his strike rate. He is a good bowler. We should cut out emotion and gratefulness. If you want to be grateful then give him an award or coaching assignment etc.

In NZ it is simple. All 3 seamers play [ Mash, Shahadat and Sajid ]. Currently, I would even back Razzak over Enam even though Enam is an old favourite of mine.

If it was upto me, Bashar won't be in the squad even.

Sohel
December 27, 2007, 02:26 AM

Last life line for SN.

Couldn't have said it better myself Mijan ... :)

I just hope HaBa somehow manages to get his 3000 and leaves us alone forever. I have certain less heartwarming scenes from the movie "Mr. 3000" in mind as I write this. Rafiq will probably make a better comeback under home conditions at this point and wickets in the NCL will help. Murphy's law bit Pilot in the butt after munching on Tushar's earlier on. Sad stuff ... :sigh:

Shahriar Nafees could use more match practice in the NCL and the A-team before coming back into the fold for his own good. Then again our opening options are sadly limited at this point and he should have gotten the nod over a thankfully resurgent Nafees Iqbal in light of some of his performances in the NCL. Unless we want to experiment with newbies Imrul Kayes or Ghazi Salauddin at this point, an experiment we should perhaps refrain from, we're stuck with the Nafeeses. That said, I do believe that Zunaed and Tamim can also do a decent job as test openers before long, especially Zunaed.

Enam's inclusion is totally justified and I'm VERY happy to see him back ... :)

Gowza
December 27, 2007, 02:41 AM
agree, the keeper shouldn't be changed every series. in saying that you don't have to have the same keeper playing all 3 forms of the game, ideally for T20s and 50 over matches you'd want someone who scores more quickly and BD have options that do that. why not groom mushy for tests and another keeper for T20s and 50 over matches?

nahaz
December 27, 2007, 02:41 AM
I just don't get all the conspirecy theories. Ppl in Bd can't all be biased, can they?

I'd prefer Rajin over Bashar ATM,though if Bashar can still hit the ball anywhere near as good as in the old days, he could do well. He might be more reliable than a few others.It's disappointing Rafiq hasn't performed in recent times... but without performance, how can we afford a specialist spinner? SN's form still doesn't sound the greatest, though much better than b4.

Nocturnal
December 27, 2007, 02:55 AM
I didn't see any problem with this selection.
We had a stand by list and selectors alreday have said that they will only choose players from this list, and they did.

Stand By List-
1 Rajin Saleh -- already in NZ
2 Khaled Mashud -- deserved a spot but I'm happy to see mushy keeping in test and do better with Bat
3 Mohammed Rafique -- not in good form, attitude problem, 17 wkts from 5 FC game
4 Mahmud Ullah - more suitable in odi
5 Dollar Mahmud -- in SA with u-19 team
6 Sajedul Islam -- already in NZ
7 Enamul Haque Jr. - in good form, 32 wkts from 7 FC game, selected for test squad
8 Shahriar Nafees - selected for test squad
9 Habibul Bashar- selected for test squad

Murad
December 27, 2007, 08:36 AM
Selectors said, Mashud has fever thats why they didn't select him for the Test series but Mashud is playing in the NCL. Howcome they let him play for NCL if he's sick?

The new selectors are bunch of liars.

Imtiazk
December 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
How many runs is Bashar short of 3000 ? I would sponsor him to do that so we can finally say Khoda Hafez.

Murad
December 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
47 Runs

Protic
December 27, 2007, 08:45 AM
me too. But is Tamim going to play test?

I dont think so :(

Imtiazk
December 27, 2007, 08:52 AM
I dont think so :(

Why not ? Surely, it depends on performance. If he scores a 100 in one of these 2 ODI's, are you sure he cannot be selected ? We have suffered enough by these so called specialisations !

Protic
December 27, 2007, 08:54 AM
The test team is announced.. slots are filled.. Tamim can only come back.. well..actually you're right man.. anything can happen when BCB is dealing stuffs.. lol.

Murad
December 27, 2007, 09:01 AM
Selectors said whoever do well in ODIs, will be in the Test Squad. Most likely JO will come back as some dailies reported that.

tiger_army
December 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
I didn't see any problem with this selection.
We had a stand by list and selectors alreday have said that they will only choose players from this list, and they did.

Stand By List-
1 Rajin Saleh -- already in NZ
2 Khaled Mashud -- deserved a spot but I'm happy to see mushy keeping in test and do better with Bat
3 Mohammed Rafique -- not in good form, attitude problem, 17 wkts from 5 FC game
4 Mahmud Ullah - more suitable in odi
5 Dollar Mahmud -- in SA with u-19 team
6 Sajedul Islam -- already in NZ
7 Enamul Haque Jr. - in good form, 32 wkts from 7 FC game, selected for test squad
8 Shahriar Nafees - selected for test squad
9 Habibul Bashar- selected for test squad

exactly, i dont hnk there is any problem with the selection.......i seriously dont like Rafiqs attitude, he has big ego prob, and we have seen lots of his misbehaviours on few foreign tours...Also he is not in form at all.... he is no more a striker.... so wats the point sending him in NZ....

abu2abu
December 27, 2007, 09:29 AM
I agree with what many poeple have been saying about Rafique's egotism. Yes, it's true he has been a fine player in the past but, like pilot, he seems he takes his selection for granted. You'd think being dropped from the side would give you motivation to fight for your place back. But the old codgers like Rafique and Pilot refuse to put in the hard graft and instead ask us to remember their past glories.

We are not exactly short of quality slow bowlers (with the likes of enamul haque jnr, Suhrawardy shuvo, mahmudullah riyad, marshall ayub etc all emerging and abdur razzak proving a worthy replacement) so why should rafique have a divine right to be included in the test side?

Spitfire_x86
December 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
Why not ? Surely, it depends on performance. If he scores a 100 in one of these 2 ODI's, are you sure he cannot be selected ? We have suffered enough by these so called specialisations !
Do you honestly think they will send back JO? (Regardless of Tamim or Junaed's performance)

One of Tamim or Junaed will surely go back, and neither of them will open in the first test.

Sohel
December 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
Do you honestly think they will send back JO? (Regardless of Tamim or Junaed's performance)

One of Tamim or Junaed will surely go back, and neither of them will open in the first test.

My fears exactly ... :(

sadi
December 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
I know most of the people here love to see Rafiq in the test squad and I don't blame them but I for one don't really care much. Since Sakib is a must, we can only afford to play one spinner and I don't think there is much difference between Razzak and Rafiq. Rafiq should've taken NCL more professionally and seriously and now has to pay the price. He will definitely make a comeback in SA series if everything goes right.

About Pilot, I think selectors were looking for a reason not to pick him and when he got sick, they took full advantage of it. If he is too sick to go to NZ, how can he play in the NCL? He is playing this round and that shows he is fit.

About Bashar bhai, I hope you score some runs. I don't see that happening but hope korte to dosh nai.

Kabir
December 27, 2007, 10:49 AM

Tamim is a thousand miles away from even being considered as a Test opener material, never mind being in the final selection.

Imtiaz bhai,

I don't really agree with you on the Aftab issue. I really think someone needs to loosen up those two nuts in his neck for him to be able to play a Test innings. Unless he stops his Chatgaiya obhbhash...he'll just making him look like a joker.

Having said that, I don't see a better replacement for him...sad reality I guess.

One World
December 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
i've predicted it more than once. it continue to be so. read the next line carefully:

durjoy, akram & rafiqul have alwayes been biased to a certain quarter of our cricket. they come from the same lobby.

Agree!

this lobby prevented Minhajul Abedin Nannu from playing test cricket. They made rafique a 'mere one-day bowler' in order to accommodate enamul huq moni (with due respect to him)

Their next mission?

Stop Rafique on the wrong side of 100 test wkts.

Agree!

The seletors are really hurting us now. First the selection of ordinary players like Mehrab, Forhad and Nazmul, now not taking Rafiq and Pilot.

Do they really want to make sure Bangladesh lose all matches in New Zealand and does not repeat the accidental T20 win? Or is this a plot to make the new coach look incompetent?

I cannot say it better.

Agree.

Have to disagree here. I see no reason to believe its last life line for a batsman who got good international career like SN. Certainly he is not another Al Shariar or talented players whom we already lost. On one hand he might have most of centuries aginst weaker opponents but on the other hand he scored decent scores agianst big guns...

Exactly. How old is he?

Navarene
December 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
This was the first really really bad decision by akram and co.
And what about the inclusion of Javed Omar in ODI squad? Was it not "the first really really bad dicision"? Javed's days are numbered already...even a person with minimum cricket knowledge would agree with it.

This selection committee has been slowly but surely showing its real biased face.

Tigers_eye
December 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
No one - not even Rafique and Bashar - should be selected on historical record if that history is more than a year old. I believe today the team will suffer more if Rafique plays and Razzak does not. Razzak not playing has hurt us. Don't just look at his economy rate but also his strike rate. He is a good bowler. We should cut out emotion and gratefulness. If you want to be grateful then give him an award or coaching assignment etc.

In NZ it is simple. All 3 seamers play [ Mash, Shahadat and Sajid ]. Currently, I would even back Razzak over Enam even though Enam is an old favourite of mine.

If it was upto me, Bashar won't be in the squad even.
To many who are crying for Rafique and being happy on HB's selection, read the bold part of Imtiazk's post (HB, Rafiq and any BD players are not as motivated committed as Dada and Tendu).

Special thank you to Imtiazk. May Rafique, the selector read this post.

Tigers_eye
December 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself Mijan ... :)

I just hope HaBa somehow manages to get his 3000 and leaves us alone forever. I have certain less heartwarming scenes from the movie "Mr. 3000" in mind as I write this. Rafiq will probably make a better comeback under home conditions at this point and wickets in the NCL will help. Murphy's law bit Pilot in the butt after munching on Tushar's earlier on. Sad stuff ... :sigh:
Gee sir/bro. Ekdom thik bolechen sir/bro. Mr. 50'r 3000 puron hoilayi khoda hafez sir/bro. (just like the new lobon ad)

... That said, I do believe that Zunaed and Tamim can also do a decent job as test openers before long, especially Zunaed.
ei baparey ek mot hotey parlam na sir/bro. Big Z'r aro shomoi'er proyojon sir/bro. First he needs to make sure he is a sure shot for ODI team. I mean score 1k+ runs. :)