PDA

View Full Version : Mash down the hill

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
If Mash doesn't perform well during the rest of the tour, I will definitely drop him for the SA series!!! He is horribly out of touch, unfit, his attitude is certainly not anything VC material. I am one of the BIGGEST admirer of Mash's talent but no one is that special enough to be considered "some are more equal than others"!

If he is suffering from fatigue than that will be much needed. But, I think its not! His body language seems to be too laid back- almost lethergic- for my likings. He is surely carrying a extra few pounds around his waist. An effect of early-marriage in Bangladesh, perhaps!

If it IS the attitude, then BCB needs to drop him without delay. There might be good in it for Mash. Complacency is a wrecker of talent and potential. A good kick on the posterior works better than any other remedy, sometimes!

FagunerAgun
December 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yes, he should be dropped.
We should go by performance, not by big names.
He may come back to the line up with his much improved performance in the domestic or A level games.

In the opening spells, he gives up too much runs without any aggression, and Ash is chewing his thump.

pinch_hitter
December 26, 2007, 12:09 PM
about time somebody said it.

Omio
December 26, 2007, 12:16 PM
The way he is batting is really poor technique, he always keep moving away of the stump.

Tigers_eye
December 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
Against the Indians (WC) he was bowling fireballs with venom. Now 'hit me' balls? A break is needed. However, food intake must be monitored. I do not understand the growing tire around the waist line. He is below 30 and a sports person. How can he have those things?

DAC
December 26, 2007, 12:21 PM
We lost the match because of our customary batting collapse, not for bowling. In order to put pressure with bowling, we need to put more competitive score on the board.
That being said, I expected little bit more from Mash.

Tigers_eye
December 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hello DAC,
We are not discussing on why we lost the match. There are other threads on those issues.

Welcome to BC.

Dhakablues
December 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
I think the players were wearing something beneath their jersyes.. Mashrafee was even wearing Tusher's vest on top of those protectors!! but with some photos without their jerseys on,, Mashrafee didnt appear to be that stocky..

Nevertheless, Mashrafee was battting and bowling really bad, And as a great admirer of his,, I will also have to agree with that. He was not varying his speed, trying yorkers, full toss,, he was just bowling like Tapash Baishya ( with all due respect to Tapash)

akabir77
December 26, 2007, 12:35 PM
Yeap didn't gave his 100% for sure. May be he knew the out come before so didn't even try like his old boss(bashar).

mij
December 26, 2007, 01:01 PM
He is carrying this form well before 20/20 world cup, even at 20-20 he was the weakest link.

He almost forgot how to take wicket, and batting looks like he never bat in his life, thats how he play now days.

So, yes drop him, let him correct his mistake and bring him back when he is ready.

No point taking players, when their are not in form.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 01:06 PM
Against the Indians (WC) he was bowling fireballs with venom. Now 'hit me' balls? A break is needed. However, food intake must be monitored. I do not understand the growing tire around the waist line. He is below 30 and a sports person. How can he have those things?

This is my point exactly! He can sure turn it on- if he is in the "mood". I hope the relative "stardom" hasn't got to his head. Although, I fear it has! This is the problem of being a Khali jongoley sher. I hope Shahadat and others up and comming bowlers give him a run for his money. We are so starved of their kinds- not that we are excelling in the batting front either.

C'mon MASH! Pull your socks up, fella! You have got it. Dont waste it!

Wish BD boys could have mentors like Imran, Kapil or a Waugh!

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 01:07 PM
problem is we have no meaingful replacement, I am not prepared to change him for Nazmul.

Cowboys
December 26, 2007, 01:09 PM
We lost the match because of our customary batting collapse, not for bowling. In order to put pressure with bowling, we need to put more competitive score on the board.
That being said, I expected little bit more from Mash.

Pay attention on what is being discussed here first......

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 01:13 PM
Why is that he only performs exceptionally well against Indians, tamim beat the habit why can't mash, should mash see every bowler and batsman as an indian, maybe we can ask our opponents to wear virendar sehwag face masks. :floor:

view360
December 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
Mash already lost his focus and does not deserve a place at this level. He can neither restrict run flow nor can he take wickets. We dropped Pilot while he was vice captain. Therefore, team managment should not wait any longer for Mash to be back on track at the expense of the team.

Moshin
December 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
people view him as the best bowler for desh, but really there is nothing there that he can offer for the team, sometimes when he does, he really does put a lot of effort, and when he doesnt, its makes me very mad when he's bowling!!!!
if you wanna play good, you gotta all the time not sometimes!!!

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 01:36 PM
problem is we have no meaingful replacement, I am not prepared to change him for Nazmul.

Yes. But if we continue like this then we will- to borrow IanW's expression- turn a racehorse into a mule...or something to this effect!

BCB has to be pro-active and not reactionary in their conducts. We don't want to see Mash ending up like Alok*- do we now??

*with all respect to Alok. Great talent- serious mismanagement!

rashed_va
December 26, 2007, 01:47 PM

What tire?
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9291/mashls2.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mashls2.jpg)

Pic from Eid.

al Furqaan
December 26, 2007, 01:48 PM
all great players get droppped. its not unusual. mash has been a staple of our lineup for so long now. perhaps it is time he gets a bit of a respite.

despite being unfit he still clocked 141 k yesterday.

rashed_va
December 26, 2007, 01:53 PM
Let Jamie work with the team a little longer. He asked for it. If we keep changing the team on him - which has become a trend - his work will go in vain. He only had a less than a month. His concentration might yet to have trickled down to Mash. Wait and see.

zainab
December 26, 2007, 02:27 PM
I dont think people should give up on Mash. I agree, let Jamie work with him a bit longer. Better bowlers than mash has gone through a lame period and retuned.

Murad
December 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
Mash will come back strong in the 2nd game. Just have faith in him.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 02:53 PM
I dont think people should give up on Mash. I agree, let Jamie work with him a bit longer. Better bowlers than mash has gone through a lame period and retuned.

Nobody is giving up on Mash here!

We're just giving him some deshi "bash". Do you know what is Bash, Zainab?

Murad
December 26, 2007, 02:59 PM
Do you know what is Bash, Zainab?

She doesn't. She's not Bangladeshi.:)

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 03:02 PM
She doesn't. She's not Bangladeshi.:)

Im bangladeshi and I dont know what it is.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 03:18 PM
Im bangladeshi and I dont know what it is.

Then its high-time you should get some deshi bansh treatment!:onethephone:

akabir77
December 26, 2007, 03:58 PM
bash= bamboo

Zobair
December 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
I don't see the tire as well, and I watched the last match live. He was a bit all over the place...but then he was bowling into a stiff breeze...really stiff breeze!

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 05:35 PM
he did bowl quite a few good balls, one that almost lbw'd how, i think mash and shahadat was just unlucki

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/image/326711.html

Maybe, this will give you some idea.

BTW, were you at the ground?

HereWeGo
December 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
Please don complain abt Mash by just looking at the stats. Both Mashrafee and Shahadat bowled billiantly in the beginning. Its not easy to keep Mccullaum and how quiet. They gave away 40+ in first 10 overs thats less than wat Aussies gave.
MAshrafee attacked all the way and when u attack u sometimes give away runs.
he bowled deliveries around 140 +. he showed no signs of fatigue.
he is the best we got

damalChele
December 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
I think everyone here got it wrong. He needs to drop some of his fat down the hill. He looks slightly chubbier. Shahadat on the other hand looks as though he lost some weight. He looks lot lighter. I guess that reflects on their performances. Just my humble opinion. But yes I do agree, Mash needs to be sit out few matches. Shahadat is the new Mash and Sajidul is the new Rasel.

betaar
December 26, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yes, mash is going downhill and it's pretty visible in his appearence, speacially his hairstyle, looks as if he just woke up and put on his jersey and came to bowl. I guess he does not care how he looks anymore now that he's married.
Technically speaking, his bowling action is more open chested than ever, he needs to go back to his old ways where he tried bowling a lot more side on (not as good as it should be but acceptable).

Antora
December 26, 2007, 05:59 PM
I dont know what to say about mash. Im not that dissapointed in him.. but if we drop him theres no garantee that all the other bowlers will perform better than him.

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 06:08 PM
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/image/326711.html

Maybe, this will give you some idea.

BTW, were you at the ground?

I dont need stats to tell me if he was bowling good bowls, last time I checked balls pitching just outside offstump just short of a good length, coming into the right hander is a good ball, nless my junior county cricket coach is wrong, then forgive me

Nafis_BD
December 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
I would say leave it to coach Siddons. If after this series coach thinks he is unfit and needs some rest, needs to work harder, etc then drop him but right now I would like to him a little more.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 06:12 PM
I dont know what to say about mash. Im not that dissapointed in him.. but if we drop him theres no garantee that all the other bowlers will perform better than him.

I think you're missing the point. We want him dropped to get the most out of him again. It worked with Ash to certain extant. It might work for him too. Sometimes players need time off to re-think about their game and approach.

damalChele
December 26, 2007, 06:17 PM
It also works with SN. If you drop him, he'll score a century at domestic level.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
I dont need stats to tell me if he was bowling good bowls, last time I checked balls pitching just outside offstump just short of a good length, coming into the right hander is a good ball, nless my junior county cricket coach is wrong, then forgive me

Being a little cocky- are we? Click on the link and you will see...but do click. Just a reminder young fella: confidence is good but over-confidence is stupidity.

Zobair
December 26, 2007, 06:26 PM
BCF, I think that pic is a bit deceiving. Mash tends to arch his back (pushing his torso outwards) these days when he follows through and doesn't bend his legs much. A possible reason for this change in action could be his "bad" back coupled with the titanium bolts (or whichever metal) in his knees.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Nafi,
Sorry ,young chap! Post #30 wasn't a reply to your post but it was for Zobair. It seems like you got the wrong end of the stick.

BTW, I do agree Shahadat and Mash (at times) bowled well.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
BCF, I think that pic is a bit deceiving. Mash tends to arch his back (pushing his torso outwards) these days when he follows through and doesn't bend his legs much. A possible reason for this change in action could be his "bad" back coupled with the titanium bolts (or whichever metal) in his knees.

I am quite aware of that but still I think he is carrying an extra few pounds. If his back pain persists then he should have proper therapy and rest.

Nafi
December 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
no hard feelings

Zobair
December 26, 2007, 06:45 PM
Yes fair point.

I am quite aware of that but still I think he is carrying an extra few pounds. If his back pain persists then he should have proper therapy and rest.

rashed_va
December 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
Yes, mash is going downhill and it's pretty visible in his appearence, speacially his hairstyle, looks as if he just woke up and put on his jersey and came to bowl. I guess he does not care how he looks anymore now that he's married ...

You gotta be kidding me. His scruffy look is just another "style" -very uncommon in Bangalis, cause of our features. In person, Mash stands out among the Bd players, by all means, trust me.
Again, lets be constructive with our criticisms. Mash is fit not fat. I am a cyclist/runner myself (left in the pic) and I can assure you that.

bdchamp20
December 26, 2007, 07:35 PM
Well Mashrafe...always seems to come back stronger after being dropped, injured or rested..so maybe that is the right thing to do.

BanCricFan
December 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well Mashrafe...always seems to come back stronger after being dropped, injured or rested..so maybe that is the right thing to do.

Don't think Mash has ever been dropped! Until recently, he has been the most consistent and top performer we ever had!

tiger_omar
December 26, 2007, 08:17 PM
The way he is batting is really poor technique, he always keep moving away of the stump.

I know he bats at the 8 spot, but we shouldn't really be that concerned with his batting. I am more worried about his bowling currently. If he bowls well and take wickets, whatever runs he produces with the bat will be a bonus. But right now, he's not doing either, and is a great concern.

Maybe the vice captaincy has gotten to him. Maybe it's the pressure or he's getting arrognat, but this isn't the same Mash of the past.

BD Tigers
December 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
His only problem is his batting...he is much better than what he shows.

akabir77
December 28, 2007, 04:00 PM
this proves that we need a good bowling coach too.

"It wouldn't help if he was to just come and release the delivery in Australia as he did in England. There is a different method to obtaining swing in this part of the world", Akram said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=16900

Foozy
December 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
A very good thread, but I personally think that all of our players need a bowling coach! They are all assuming things, and trying things out. None of them are getting the proper coaching that they desperately need!
This is also a major reason for performing so terribly in test matches!

Dhurr
December 28, 2007, 09:57 PM
Biya korlei shobgula cricketer er form shesh hoya jai. Bepar ki?

arafath79
December 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
My point is who will take Mashrafe's place after dropping him ? Do you guys think dropping Mashrafe will be the solution to make BD pace attack better ?? No way !!! There is no other pace bowler in BD who is as good as Mashrafe! They are not even close to Mashrafe.

BanCricFan
December 29, 2007, 12:32 AM
My point is who will take Mashrafe's place after dropping him ? Do you guys think dropping Mashrafe will be the solution to make BD pace attack better ?? .

The point wasn't to make BD pace better but making MASH better! Of course, Mash is the best BD ever had and still do. But, some of us feel that he is slacking for whatever reasons that might be on Mash's part.

Please note that, the thread starter is not calling for an immediate drop. Lets see how he performs during the tests and only then a decision should be made.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 12:36 AM
Marital contentment adds quite a few extra percentage points to our body-fat content and Mash is no exception. But he IS a YOUNG International athlete and the heart and soul of a team he VCs, and needs a good talking to. I'm sure Coach Siddons will get to that if he hasn't already.

On the other matter I'm in agreement with BanCricFan. If he doesn't do well for the rest of this tour, it would be difficult to justify his inclusion for the SA series. He'll probably still get into the sides because of our selectors and his Captain's sentiments, and the possible lack of alternative to his presence.

BanCricFan
December 29, 2007, 12:50 AM
I'm sure Coach Siddons will get to that if he hasn't already.

Me too, bro! Me too!

Beamer
December 29, 2007, 12:53 AM
Marital contentment adds quite a few extra percentage points to our body-fat content and Mash is no exception. But he IS a YOUNG International athlete and the heart and soul of a team he VCs, and needs a good talking to. I'm sure Coach Siddons will get to that if he hasn't already.

On the other matter I'm in agreement with BanCricFan. If he doesn't do well for the rest of this tour, it would be difficult to justify his inclusion for the SA series. He'll probably still get into the sides because of our selectors and his Captain's sentiments, and the possible lack of alternative to his presence.

bou, shoshur barir ador !

Anher
December 29, 2007, 12:58 AM
bou, shoshur barir ador !

Lets send him shoshur bari (Jail) for criminal performance.

Protic
December 29, 2007, 05:05 AM
Yeah his level of performance dropped..but i dont think we shud drop him right now.. I think he'll come back strongly against the south africans @ BD.. Before 20/20 he was performing good..and 20/20..well every bowler looks ordinary there..and here in NZ.. even aussies got the same treatment..so id wait for his performance @ bangladesh vs SA.. about masri's batting.. well he sure doesnt look like an allrounder to me anymore.. He just cant bat! seems like that atlesat.. OR india's bowling is below average.

Omio
December 29, 2007, 05:58 AM
Lets send him shoshur bari (Jail) for criminal performance.
:lol::lol:

lamisa
December 29, 2007, 07:45 AM
well i dont thnk dat v shud drop him now,hez still 1 of da btr bd bowlerz and he prformd vry well in da ncl.but i dont thnk dat hez da bst bd bowler.rasel is tho mash can generate more pace.

israr
December 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
I just want to give him a little more of a time before I am adamant about any certain decisions.

KnightBD
December 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
Mash is just having a rough time. I am sure he will bounce back. He might be rested for couple of games though!

Parisa
December 29, 2007, 05:52 PM
Mash is just having a rough time. I am sure he will bounce back. He might be rested for couple of games though!

we should all pray for baby mash.........he might get better sooner

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 06:53 PM
Mashrafe needs a long vacation and then he should train with a bowling coach before playing for BD against RSA.

zainab
December 30, 2007, 07:42 AM
Mash should be trainin g with a good bowling coach when he returns to BD. JS should also have a serious talk with him as to what his goals he has.

Spitfire_x86
December 30, 2007, 09:03 PM
Mash is back! He was the most economical BD bowler today.

tonoy
December 30, 2007, 09:16 PM
oh man mash was bowling venoms today.

BanCricFan
December 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
C'mon! Lets be fair! Mash didn't bowl that bad today to get that kind of treatment from McMighty and BC members. 93 on the board- even Akram, Bond (no NOT James) or Waqar would have Kopped some today. On any other given day, Shahadat would have bowled a lot worse and still pick up one or two wickets.

Bowlers are not at fault today.

BanCricFan
February 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
I, sincerely, believe that Mash should be consulted by a sports psychologist (NOT by Orphy) as soon as possible! It is all too obvious that the one who used to be a real Tiger- is now almost scared to get hurt on a cricket field. His shying away from getting behind the line when facing the fast-medium bowlers is really becoming almost humiliating.

To a certain extant, I can understand his concerns...I mean, he has been injured and already have gone through a couple of major surgeries and all.

Could he still be carrying some psychological scars? Could he be perturbed about getting hit and possibly losing his livelyhood?

BanCricFan
February 22, 2008, 01:48 PM
We need the Mashrafee of old back as soon as possible! He is one of the greatest finds of our cricketing history and should be looked after carefully. We cannot afford to lose a player of his calibre!

Nor should we be content with his mediocre performance on the field. He is capable of great stuff...our think-tank should pay urgent attention to this!

SS
February 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
I agree with you BanCricFan. Mash has some psychological impact that is hindering him from his old form. Everybody has bad patches in his/her life. But sooner they can recover, the better it is. At this point, we can not think any substitute to cover for Mash, as he desperately need to 'relax' and 'concentrate' to get back his real tiger image.
Not sure if our trainers and officials are providing sufficient care for our no1 national team bowler.

Nafi
February 22, 2008, 02:54 PM
He's not bowling in the right area, and his bowling way too slow for him to effective, because of his bowling action the ball gets really good seam movement, but this can only happen if he is bowling at around 85 mp (137K). And in this test he was really slow, didnt even exceed 130 on occasions.

BanCricFan
February 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
He's not bowling in the right area, and his bowling way too slow for him to effective, because of his bowling action the ball gets really good seam movement, but this can only happen if he is bowling at around 85 mp (137K). And in this test he was really slow, didnt even exceed 130 on occasions.

True.... Mash looks very lethargic. Hope he will put in some effort tomorrow...we all know he can do much better.

tiger_omar
February 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
Arun Lal was even saying the Mash isn't looking 100% out there and that he's seen Mash bowl way better. If he fires with Rajib and Rafique, then we can have a change of getting SA out quickly, if not, it can be a long day for us.

zainab
February 22, 2008, 04:18 PM
Arun Lal was even saying the Mash isn't looking 100% out there and that he's seen Mash bowl way better. If he fires with Rajib and Rafique, then we can have a change of getting SA out quickly, if not, it can be a long day for us.

Is any channel in Toronto showing the match. My cricket channel told me NO, there are other matches being televised, so I was just wondering.

Fazal
February 22, 2008, 04:55 PM
Every where in the world FBs are injury prone and if you overuse them, their effectiveness will diminidh. They need to be rested in regular interval, Thats why we need to find out 5/6 FBs and rotate and select 2/3 of them from the pool for each game.

rakib28
February 22, 2008, 05:11 PM
For me, Mashrafee has gone out his golden touch.....what needs to be done to get it back, well there are plenty of people in BD cricket board to find some answers....if it was me, then I'll drop him 1-2 series to send him a strong message...that no one is irreplacable, doesn't matter what u have done in the past. I feel giving him VC has got into his head. When somebody isn't giving 100% of his effort in the field, they should face the consiquence. Some of u think that no one can replace him at this moment...but carrying him like this is also not sending good message to the team. Lets try something new...it may work....it may help Mashrafee to get back his old form. But I think we should wait till the SA Test series. Lets pray to Allah that he'll fire back today along with Shahadat and Rafique and bowl SAF cheaply.

RazabQ
February 22, 2008, 06:25 PM
We just need Graeme Smith to ask Mash if he has any plans for this coming Sunday (2/24) or if he can give Smithy a tour of Sundarbans. All of a sudden Mash will start bowling 90mph thunderbolts and Smith might get his wish only not in the manner he would like.

Murad
February 22, 2008, 06:28 PM
ajker shokal ta dekhe judge korbo... er aage kisu bolte parchina..

kalke matro koyekta over bowl korche.. ajke dekhben valoi korteche....

Aritro
February 22, 2008, 06:40 PM
There's been more than one occasion on which Mortaza has come on to open the bowling in the last session and sent down rubbish, only to come back the next day after a massage and a night's rest and bowl with much more sharpness.

It wouldn't surprise me if he causes a few problems tomorrow.

That's not to say the original poster doesn't have a point. Mortaza's been largely lacklustre test series against India.

HereWeGo
February 22, 2008, 06:56 PM
MAshrafee was a brillian bowler he still is a brilliant bowler. He was the best bowler in newzealand. I really cant believe that so many bc members are complaining after just 5 bad overs. I mean it is soooo absurd.

I am sure most of you guys would eat your own words after today

al Furqaan
February 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
i expect mash to bounce back...hope rajib gets a 5er he deserved one in the last test against NZ. i agree its just 5 bad overs, BCers need to be a little less hair trigger.

but this much is clear: shahadat has now proven he is quite a bit better than mashrafee

arafath79
February 22, 2008, 08:26 PM
Mashrafe has the ability to come back strongly against any oppostion in any sort of cricket. He was bowling as same as Rasel's bowling speed which is around 127-129kmph. He must run faster and bowl faster with the speed of around 135-16 kmph and also he should put the ball at the right area.

BanCricFan
February 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
i expect mash to bounce back...hope rajib gets a 5er he deserved one in the last test against NZ. i agree its just 5 bad overs, BCers need to be a little less hair trigger.

but this much is clear: shahadat has now proven he is quite a bit better than mashrafee

Please try to familiarize yourself with the context before pronuncing any judgements. And, Shahadat is NOT better than Mash! He is almost operating at an optimum level while Mash at diminishing return, hence, the need for a rest to recharge the batteries.

We are not judging him over 5 bad overs!

Faisal
February 22, 2008, 09:32 PM
lol mash bowling average was 122K yesterday

Dhakablues
February 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
I think its a good idea to question EVERY member of the squad. We dont have a Sachin in the team that can go unquestioned. Well, Mashrafee flopped for today but remember that this is a 5 day ( okay fine,, 3.5 days for us) affair and Mashrafee can/will bounce back any moment. But then again, we do have another capable bowler like Rasel who is also wicket taking bowler with hearts. I say, its a good problem to have where we have 3 bowlers who are in form. There is no reason to drop Mashrafee yet but to give a player a "break" we can use that opportunity sometimes.. At this moment, Mashrafee is still needed for the team, atleast he scores few runs sometimes, right?

Pundit
February 22, 2008, 10:50 PM
Everyone talks about how Mash comes back or bounces back. Sure he does - he comes back to scalp the last two batsmen of the team.

See what happened in the game against India when he got the opener out - that team immediately went into the back foot, and never recovered. That is why we have opening bowlers.

Sohel
February 23, 2008, 02:16 AM
Koushik will bounce back Inshallah, and he'll bounce back when we expect the least but need him the most. Just demote him to 3rd seamer for a spell or two ... :D

al Furqaan
February 23, 2008, 03:03 AM
Please try to familiarize yourself with the context before pronuncing any judgements. And, Shahadat is NOT better than Mash! He is almost operating at an optimum level while Mash at diminishing return, hence, the need for a rest to recharge the batteries.

We are not judging him over 5 bad overs!

look at shahadat's strike rate, his ceiling...and then compare.

mash is good. shahadat has the potential be the next waqar or walsh.

mash can be the next zaheer khan or srinath. rajib is tier 1, mash is tier 2.

and mind you there a lot good fast bowlers in tier 2.

Eshen
February 23, 2008, 04:02 AM
Shahadat's strike rate is 53.3 and Mashrafe's strike rate is 72.3 - that's a huge difference. I totally agree with Al Furqaan that Shahadat is a much better test bowler than Mashrafe is (or ever was).

zahid
February 23, 2008, 06:38 AM
From Strike bowler to just a Support bowler. Pathetic!

BanCricFan
February 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
Shahadat's strike rate is 53.3 and Mashrafe's strike rate is 72.3 - that's a huge difference. I totally agree with Al Furqaan that Shahadat is a much better test bowler than Mashrafe is (or ever was).

Do stats always tell the whole story? Mashrafi bowled at the beginning of his career as the spearhead of a complete no-hope side where opposition batters were scoring runs at will. Shahadat is bowling for almost a competetive bowling side...Thats a big difference!

I rate Shahadat very highly too...but he is not in the same league as Mash (of old)...at least, not yet. If he is EVEN better than Mash then no one will be more happier than myself!

BanCricFan
February 23, 2008, 07:14 AM
shahadat has the potential be the next waqar or walsh.

Bowler like Waqar comes once each century! ...If Shahadat is to be one of them- I'll be, literally, over the moon!:)

Miraz
February 23, 2008, 07:18 AM
Mash needs a break. He is looking as a shadow of the original Mash.

No bites, no movement off the pitch... he is losing it alarmingly quickly.

IMO, he should be relieved of the vice captaincy and fight for his place. That might bring the Narail express back on track.

Alien
February 23, 2008, 07:21 AM
Mash is going thru a bad time there is no doubt. And it has been for quite some time. Had Shahadat not fired up we would have been in deep s hit. Wonder how he can be brought back to his old glorious form.

BanCricFan
February 23, 2008, 07:23 AM
Mash needs a break. He is looking as a shadow of the original Mash.

No bites, no movement off the pitch... he is losing it alarmingly quickly.

IMO, he should be relieved of the vice captaincy and fight for his place. That might bring the Narail express back on track.

Spoken like a pro, bro!

Yameen
February 23, 2008, 07:34 AM
godsakes he had a good tour of new zealand, he bowls nine overs here and u have come to a conclusion hes losing it???

Thunder
February 23, 2008, 08:32 AM
Players like Mash can't go quiet for a long time. Its only one innings guys. I am sure he will be back with a bang !

Ejaj
February 23, 2008, 10:09 AM
Crazy thread. Mash and Rajib are bowlers with two different style. Rajib needs trigger to perform whereas Mash is always performing upto some extend. Both form of bowlers are criticial to the team. Guys.. Please grow up!!

BanCricFan
February 23, 2008, 12:28 PM
Crazy thread. Mash and Rajib are bowlers with two different style. Rajib needs trigger to perform whereas Mash is always performing upto some extend. Both form of bowlers are criticial to the team. Guys.. Please grow up!!

Thanks for putting some sanity back, old man.:)

al Furqaan
February 23, 2008, 12:36 PM

partly true. i agree mash always has something. but so too does rajib. u have to look at potential. does mash have the potential to take 6-27 against a top side like SA? he prolly doesn't have the potential to do it against zimbabwe, unless he's at his lethal best. but rajib already has 2 fivers in a shorter career.

rajib's potential is sky high, thats why he keeps improving match after match. mash is a good example of a finished product. mash is 24, and has been a very good pacer since his career began. mash is like a mercedes SLK and rajib is like a lamborghini. there is nothing wrong with the SLK, so don't think that its an abject car. but it ain't no lamborghini. and i like that just fine. mash is special in his own right. and is just as important to our bowling attack.

al Furqaan
February 23, 2008, 12:38 PM
Bowler like Waqar comes once each century! ...If Shahadat is to be one of them- I'll be, literally, over the moon!:)

OK i exegerrated a bit...but rajib has the potential to be as great as anyone.

Nafi
February 23, 2008, 02:01 PM
rajib's potential is sky high, thats why he keeps improving match after match. mash is a good example of a finished product. mash is 24, and has been a very good pacer since his career began. mash is like a mercedes SLK and rajib is like a lamborghini. there is nothing wrong with the SLK, so don't think that its an abject car. but it ain't no lamborghini. and i like that just fine. mash is special in his own right. and is just as important to our bowling attack.

Brett lee is 31 and he is as good as he ever was.

WarWolf
February 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
partly true. i agree mash always has something. but so too does rajib. u have to look at potential. does mash have the potential to take 6-27 against a top side like SA? he prolly doesn't have the potential to do it against zimbabwe, unless he's at his lethal best. but rajib already has 2 fivers in a shorter career.

I agree with you brother. Mash couldn't develop his bowling over last 5/6 years as expected. He is mainly effective with new ball. He couldn't develop a good yorker, doesn't have reverse swing. Cannot swing the old ball away from the right hander. It always seemed to me he is a more of instinctive type of player rather than being a hard working player.

While Rajib is a hard worker. I remember his first arrival. A young boy who likes to ball fast and doesn't care about line, length or swing. He couldn't give yorker or swing the old ball reversely. Slowly with a lot patience, he developed himself to have those weapons.

I don't question about Mash's ability. I don't have any confusion about it. I am questioning about his will to learn new things and work hard with them. He needs to improve; otherwise I am afraid soon we may find him out of the slots.

WarWolf
February 24, 2008, 02:21 AM
Come Mash, prove me wrong. Show your charisma. Show us you are still the no. 1. Today is the right time to do it.

Sohel
February 24, 2008, 02:38 AM
...IMO, he should be relieved of the vice captaincy and fight for his place. That might bring the Narail express back on track.

Have to agree 100%.

Rasel has improved and replaced MaMu as our premier ODI seamer, and now the also improving Rajib has done the same in tests.

BanCricFan
February 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
Those who believe Mash needs a break from cricket- should type:

Mash needs a break from cricket!

Sohel
February 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
MaMu needs a break from taking things for granted ... :)

zainab
February 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
He does need a break, something is wrong with him, he does not have the same fire anymore. i do agree that Brett Lee is now 31 yrs and is now the leading bowler for Australia after having time off for injuries and some poor show, so there is still time for Mash. He has to keep himself fit, I have noticed that he is gaining a bit of weight too. He has to reinvent himself from now on and if he has the determination, he can do it.

WarWolf
February 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
Mash looked to be tired in the TV screen. Also he seems to be annoyed psychologically. He needs rest. I want him to be rested in the next test. I like this boy so much; yet i think he has some problem with his attitude towards the game. It must be fixed.

Eshen
February 24, 2008, 04:04 PM
Do stats always tell the whole story? Mashrafi bowled at the beginning of his career as the spearhead of a complete no-hope side where opposition batters were scoring runs at will. Shahadat is bowling for almost a competetive bowling side...Thats a big difference!
Well, in that case we can compare last two years' stats of Mashrafe and Shahadat, in the period where those two bowled side by side in almost every match -

Shahadat got 32 wickets in 11 matches, at average 35.25 and sr 52.8

Mashrafe got 19 wickets in 10 matches, at average 52.94 and sr 89.8

I admit there is no possible way to compare Mashrafe of old and Shahadat of present, but there is day and night difference between Shahadat of present and Mashrafe of present.

BanCricFan
February 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
I admit there is no possible way to compare Mashrafe of old and Shahadat of present, but there is day and night difference between Shahadat of present and Mashrafe of present.

Cant argue with this one! I happily concede this point. Hence, the thought behind his resting to rediscover his old self. :)

rafiq
February 25, 2008, 01:02 AM
Another questionable Banglacricket thread....pacers hunt in pairs, and aside from Mash and Shahadat none of the other bangladeshi pacers have the credentials to open the bowling - Nazmul, Rassel etc are best as the third pacer. Mashrafee's work on the other end is also helping Shahadat. He is unlucky not have gotten any wickets lately.

I don't know if some of you guys are right about his work ethic - this is the first I am hearing speculation that he his getting fat and complacent. But Mashrafee could look at Shahadat for inspiration. Here's a guy that was down and out in the WC last year (he hadly got a game) but kept fighting to not just earn a test recall but become a genuine threat.

DotBall
February 25, 2008, 01:10 AM
Now it is time for us to bash Mash and pump up Shahadat to Saturn.
I just love it.

mij
February 25, 2008, 06:05 AM
Mash do needs a break from cricket! He looks not fit for the game, he is hiding something. When he is at this best we all know how good he can be? Right now they need to find out what is happened to him. Even yesterday he did bowl few good one.

mahbubH
February 25, 2008, 06:59 AM
Last time when India visited Mash was batting like a real allrounder. Last few times I saw him batting, he was batting like no 11. No proper cricket shot all the hurri-curri. I have no clue why he changed his batting approach. He is not getting wocket, probably he is trying too much.

auntu
February 26, 2008, 06:55 AM
he is having a bit bad time. but bowl well in end of 3rd day

AsifTheManRahman
February 26, 2008, 12:46 PM
Mash will be back with the ball in due time. I hope his slump doesn't last too long.

However, I fail to understand why he keeps moving away from the line of the ball over and over again. This has been going on for a few series now, and it reduces him to the level of a number 11 when at his peak he could easily be a number 7. I'm sure people have pointed this out to him in the nets, but I just don't understand his fear of playing the fast ball. He's all geared up - this isn't the 1930's.

akabir77
February 26, 2008, 01:44 PM
Mash will be back with the ball in due time. I hope his slump doesn't last too long.

However, I fail to understand why he keeps moving away from the line of the ball over and over again. This has been going on for a few series now, and it reduces him to the level of a number 11 when at his peak he could easily be a number 7. I'm sure people have pointed this out to him in the nets, but I just don't understand his fear of playing the fast ball. He's all geared up - this isn't the 1930's.

Thats why i am not sure its going to go away that easily. This is moner bhoy of being hurt... Nishcoi amader bhabi bolsey "tomer shorirey betha lagley amrao money lagey..." bess r jay koi bangali romeo ekhon ga bachay kheley...

Dhakablues
February 26, 2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah we are hearing that Mash will be back in due time,, Bhai, due date ta agey thekey bolley BCB match gulo oi shomoy arrange korto ar amrao ratey party mood-e Mashrafee'r Delivery khela dekhtam....

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
listen to what wasim akram says. You need to bowl more to get faster. only bowling more develops the mussel needed for fast bowling. gym work is ok but that will not develop your mussel's that u need to bowl fast. And he got this info from none other than the great Imran Khan.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PE3CYI8x11U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PE3CYI8x11U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DJ Sahastra
February 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
The thread title should be "Ash-Mash-Bash down the hill"

Fazal
February 29, 2008, 12:43 PM
The thread title should be "Ash-Mash-Bash down the hill"

Even Better

"Ash-Mash-Bash Asha Bhora shob shash"

BanCricFan
June 30, 2008, 06:00 AM
I think this boy is DOWN and OUT.

Bhuri !!!

BanCricFan
June 30, 2008, 06:04 AM
I think this boy is DOWN and OUT.

Bhuri !!!

BanCricFan
November 10, 2008, 05:59 AM
Mashrafi should be rested before the Tests. Infact, he should sit out the rest of this tour and the next completely. The only genuine pacer of the country should be treated with the utmost care. Otherwise, his career WILL be cut short very prematurely. What he needs is complet rest and the best treatment available for his persistent backpain. This young man has had enough shares of serious injuries.

BCB should send him to USA/UK/AUS without any further delay!!! Mash also should be responsible and look after himself. He has a tendency of putting on weight quickly. Too much Biriani diet and lazing about?

tiger_club
November 10, 2008, 06:20 AM
he is not clicking anymore, there is lot of anger and he doesn't know how to take it out.. It could be that he is not getting along well with Ash.. there may be some misunderstanding.. What BCB and selectors should do is drop Ash from captaincy and make him captain.. who knows may be its the ICL going on his head..

BD-BLAST
November 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
Lets face it. Currently in the fast bowling department the Team has no one better than Mashrafee. It will be a big mistake to change him now. We have seen others who could fill up his place but wont be able to replace him.

If he isnt giving 100% then that is a problem the coach and Mashrafee to work on, rather than working with a totally new player all together. He still has a few more years to the give to the team.

In addition its the teams batting that needs to come under scrutiny.

BanCricFan
November 10, 2008, 10:23 AM
BD-BLAST,
Off course, Mash is still the best we got by miles. He is the genuine solitary world class pacer we have. No one is disputing that. What Im calling for is that Mash is taken care off, appropriately. He was, clearly, struggling yesterday with backpain...and yet he came down to bat for a meaningless cause. He could have easily further aggravated his injury- especially, the way he was wildly swinging his bat- which would have put him out of the Tests. Dont forget he could not finnish a number of tours before including the World Cup!

auntu
November 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm very keen about his fitness and looking forward for his 100% performance in the field. At the same time I'm not worried because of the fact the bowling coach Champak is a capable person to handle the situation well enough.

enaner
November 11, 2008, 08:47 AM
if you drop him .... you will lose him forever
he will then have an excuse to join ICL ... and you know they would pay him a lot over there

Razi
November 11, 2008, 01:44 PM
The Mashrafe mystery
The Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=62945)

Much is being made of the apparent 'disinterest' of Tigers pace spearhead Mashrafe Bin Mortaza in representing his country by constantly citing injuries. But for the man from Narail, the signals he is receiving from his body are indeed cause for concern.

The leading paceman missed the tour-opening Twenty20 match due to back pain and is all set to miss today's third and final one-dayer with the same complaint.

But while the aching back has caused Mashrafe physical discomfort, the bigger cause for apprehension now seems to be the fact that some segments of the squad think he is feigning injury to opt out of the inconsequential final ODI.

“Yes, I am always concerned about my injury and I always fear about this injury because you have to understand that I have had four operations. That's why I always complain to the physio at the slightest discomfort. You must understand that I do it for my safety.”

The physio in question, Darryl Lifson, was mutedly ambiguous when asked to assess the fast bowlers' condition.

Lifson whose contract will end after this series only replied with the rhetorical: “Mashrafe is a good man.”

While that could mean many things in and of itself, the Narail Express is in no doubt as to where the suspicions lie.

“I know, many laughed at me when I complained about the injury….but I don't know what is the meaning of this. The pain is mine and I know how difficult it is for me. I have been playing for eight years now and except for a few initial matches I have never played any match without some sort of discomfort,” said Mashrafe, who has had both his knees operated on.

“Many say it's a psychological problem but it's hard for anybody to understand if he is not going through such a painful situation in his career. I can bet that in my situation nobody will be able to sustain themselves at the international level,” he added.

That is understandable, since Mashrafe is the strike-bowler in the side and has often had to shoulder the brunt of the bowling, which being as injury-prone as he has been, is no easy task.

Fast bowlers are a rare breed and need constant looking after something that seems to have gone missing at the Tigers camp as a visibly upset Mashrafe seemed well aware of where the allegations against him seemed to be coming from.

“I feel terrible when people are whispering about my injury and even though I know who they are….I don't want to mention names.”

Curiously though and to his benefit, Mashrafe has missed just two games in the past calendar year. It is a fact that he has in mind.

“Last one and half year I dropped out of just one one-day match and missed the Twenty20 match against South Africa.

“Nobody wants to miss any matches because it ensures benefit for a cricketer both financially and statistically. I am just three matches away from a hundred one-day internationals, so why I will not play if there is no reason?”

A good question indeed.

But that is not all he has to defend himself against.

There have also been murmurings of discontent amongst many about Mashrafe not wanting to bowl during the powerplay overs due to a lack of confidence.

Fingers have been pointed to his desire to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the paceman reportedly avoids the crunch overs to keep a good bowling average.

But while Mashrafe is open about his desire to play the money-spinning IPL, he voraciously refutes the allegations.

“It would be great if I get an offer to play in the IPL. I have a good relationship with Yuvraj (Singh),” he said before providing substantial explanations for his no-show during the powerplay overs in the first two ODI's.

“In the first (ODI) I bowled with my full rhythm and got in nine overs before the 46th, meaning I had only one over left.

“In the second match it was hard for me to bowl (because of his back injury) after five overs but I did it with a short run-up for the next five overs. I don't think it's good to bowl with a short run-up. And I only came in to bat because of the team's requirement,” he explained.

That is the sort of characteristic that has epitomised the all-rounder's stay in the national team and earned him the sobriquet of 'Braveheart.'

It is a tag that Mashrafe has worn flamboyantly over the course of his career for the Tigers but now the sniping and constant questioning might put paid to all that.

Above all else it hampers team spirit and the Tigers could do without that during such a vital foreign tour.

Dhakablues
November 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
I dont get it.. how come this guy dont get any rests? We all know he is the ace bowler but also we cannot be relying on him for ever either... Rasel/Shahadat/Nazmul are equally capable players taking some burden off him. There has to be combo attack instead of thinking of one player. Wasim Akram was successful because he had Waqar with him... same with Gillespie/Mcgrath and many others. Morever, Mashrafee should be rested time to time to t hink about his strategies with the team but being at the bench. He needs to start mentoring new players.. This guys is not a young lad anymore and has almost played 97 ODIs..give him a break!!

auntu
November 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
if you drop him .... You will lose him forever
he will then have an excuse to join icl ... And you know they would pay him a lot over there

[বাংলা]ধুর ভাই আইসিএল ছাড়া আর কোন ইস্যু নাই নাকি?[/বাংলা]

cricket_pagol
November 11, 2008, 04:37 PM
This kinda back biting via the media only hurts BD cricket... then, we wonder why professional cricketers want to go for ICL.

Sovik
November 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
i thought he batted well in last match and he's been bowling well, he had two bad matches but who had a good match

sbsash
November 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
Same thing happened to Mash in Pakistan.Remember from Pakistan tour and asia cup.He will recover just give him time.

cricket_king
November 11, 2008, 09:37 PM
There seems to be a "darkside" to Bangladesh cricket that we don't seem to be aware of. Players whispering behind each other? I remember this happening during the Khaled Mahmud saga as well. You're a freaking team for crying out loud! Don't go behind each others' backs. That really is shameful...

Rommel
November 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
There seems to be a "darkside" to Bangladesh cricket that we don't seem to be aware of. Players whispering behind each other? I remember this happening during the Khaled Mahmud saga as well. You're a freaking team for crying out loud! Don't go behind each others' backs. That really is shameful...

I'm pretty sure that happens with any team. Its just human nature...

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
November 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Have we prepared someone who can really replace Mash? I think we are lacking in this dept. We never prepare some one to replace a imp matchmaker player. That imp player may have bad patch,may be injured. But we The Board are careless. Aren't we?

wiseshah
November 11, 2008, 10:18 PM
how old is this thread? and who is the person searching for old thread and making news

sunny747
November 12, 2008, 02:14 AM
something serious going on there. Clearly Mash doesn't want to play according to prothom alo report today.
he may get some offer from IPL and he needs to be very fit for it. when is ipl anyway?

mahbubH
November 12, 2008, 04:01 AM
these types of news are very frustrating... if it is true that he does not want to bowl in powerplay to keep his average good so that he can be picked by IPL teams.... this is not a good sign for our cricket... seems this bunch cannot wait to earn similar amount of money that their traitor friends earned recently.

tiger_club
November 12, 2008, 04:21 AM
Can we beat SA without Mash? That would be interesting.. Dolar possibly the best replacement..I think he should be given more chances..

crikfreak
November 12, 2008, 06:50 AM
this is really sad.. why wud they whisper behind his back.. they're a team.. u know.. i dont think the current team we've got gels very well.. and about him not playing on pupose.. what the hell.. y wud he do tht??? come on.. he needs reast.. no one else in bd has had tht many injuries.. its a wonder he's still playing.. and ppl accuse him of him not playing on purpose.. i mean.. his knees do bother him bcoz of the operations.. its only natural tht he'll need rest every now and then..
its really sad tht ppl wud accuse him like tht.. when ur a team.. i think trust is very important.. these players need to trust each other.. its how every relanship works.. even one between teammates..

and they shud try to train other pacers in bd so tht they can take his place.. if.. Allah forbid.. something happens..
before every series.. i pray to Allah.. i always pray 2 rakahs of nawafil b4 every series so that he wont get injured.. i've been doin this ever since he became my fav player.. and i'm gonna keep doin it.. always

how will the team be without mash today?? how will we play?? i hope he'll be fully fit for the test series.. we need him..

Eshen
November 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
In any other country, pacers would have been rotated well to protect them from the strain of two back to back series. But in Bangladesh, we can't do without Mashrafe in ODI. IMO, it's time for Mashrafe to quite Test cricket if he wants to prolong his ODI career. He is not effective in Test matches anyway.

BanCricFan
November 15, 2008, 06:35 AM
. IMO, it's time for Mashrafe to quite Test cricket if he wants to prolong his ODI career. He is not effective in Test matches anyway.

WOW....how did you pull that one out?!!!

And now comes the stats...

Rifat
November 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
Mortaza is one of the most hard workers and backbone of Bangladeshi bowling attacks, a genuine pacemen...

sometimes however, he loses his cool, otherwise a great allrounder in the making inshallah

One World
November 21, 2008, 08:55 PM
Golden days go past so quickly. Just a year and Ash, Mash, SN, Aftab all in a different world now.

BanCricFan
December 29, 2013, 07:39 PM
Sorry for digging this one out!

Mash sorted out his weight and attitude problems in the past. Now, he needs to work REALLY hard on his obvious mental BLOCK when it comes to death-overs bowling. He is CLEARLY not learning from his repeated mistakes. It may tell many stories.

I don´t buy the notion that he isn´t a T20 bowler. He needs to help himself by becoming a quick learner and also must seek help from experts, coaches and ex-fast bowlers. Mashrafe simply hasn´t come to grip with T20 bowling or death bowling. It is astounding to see him serving up those length deliveries at the back end of an innings game after game, year after year. Hard to believe a pro like him doesn´t know how to bowl a yorker. Perhaps, he can´t bowl yorkers because of his injuries as it requires extra efforts and strains on the body? Whatever it might be he must deal with it -as soon as possible!

rinathq
December 29, 2013, 08:14 PM
I dont think Mash is going downhill but its true he has developed himself more as a military medium pacer who doesnt want to try much variations. His style is good for ODIs and would even work for tests but not for T20. For T20s, you have to be innovative. you have to read the batsman and the best T20 bowlers can even control the batsman. Mash should work with Shane and work to on innovating his approach a little bit