PDA

View Full Version : mahmudullah riyad and alok kapali

al-Sagar
December 27, 2007, 01:22 AM
i think these two players are the best suited for the no 6 position in oneday game.

also we may drop aftab at no 6 bat in that case we have to find a no 3, but i think aftab is best at no 3 as he can use the powerplay.

kapali had his chances but he was chopped and changed for a lot of times. and whatever i have seen of mahmudullah riyadh he looks to be a good prospect for the middle order.

i hope after the NZ series jamie siddons will have a good look at the players available and work them out and get the best team available for the SA series.

al Furqaan
December 27, 2007, 01:34 AM
kapali yes, but riyad i dunno...i'd have to check out his batting from the SL series.

his bowling is faar better than kapalis tho.

Gowza
December 27, 2007, 02:54 AM
i liked what i saw of mahmudullah riyad, though there have been concerns with his batting and his strike rate in the shorter versions of the game, some people have said he bats too slow for the shorter versions of the game but i don't really know enough about him to really comment any further.

kapali, from the small amount i've seen of him i didn't like what i saw, but again i don't know enough about his game to really comment about it.

tonoy
December 27, 2007, 02:55 AM
a big no for kapali. and a big no for riyad(not ready yet). Get aftab into that no6 spot already

Sohel
December 27, 2007, 03:04 AM
Despite that wonderful 168, Alok does not deserve to be selected in light of his NCL performances when it counted the most. A few others in the team don't deserve to be where they are either for the same reason, different fish to fry.

It should be simple really: -

1. Perform superbly in the NCL >>> 2. Perform well with the A-team >>> 3. Play International Cricket. No more arbitrary or sentimental BS from the selectors please.

Spitfire_x86
December 27, 2007, 05:04 AM
It should be simple really: -

1. Perform superbly in the NCL >>> 2. Perform well with the A-team >>> 3. Play International Cricket. No more arbitrary or sentimental BS from the selectors please.
A-Team matches are not a regular fixture, not in any country. All countries rely on picking players based on consistent good domestic performance. Our domestic cricket is sub-par quality, but A-team matches cannot overtake domestic cricket as #1 criterion for national team selection. A-team matches will always be just few bonus opportunities for promising young players and national team discards who still have a chance of making a comeback.

Sohel
December 27, 2007, 05:38 AM
A-Team matches are not a regular fixture, not in any country. All countries rely on picking players based on consistent good domestic performance. Our domestic cricket is sub-par quality, but A-team matches cannot overtake domestic cricket as #1 criterion for national team selection. A-team matches will always be just few bonus opportunities for promising young players and national team discards who still have a chance of making a comeback.

You're right of course, but given the discrepancy between our domestic FC and the highest level, how else can we expect players like Alok to adjust better to International cricket? As much as I support Alok getting his chances at the highest level, I also recognize more GREAT domestic performances and some sort of transitional cricket as the prerequisite.

Maybe only then he can become our own Misbah who can also take wickets in the longest version of the sport. Maybe until the NCL can close some of that gap between domestic and international standards, BCB needs to organize more matches for the A or other "second tier" teams with equivalent international sides. Given the realities of our cricket, I don't think it's fair to compare what our norms should be to those of older cricket cultures at the highest level, just a thought ... :)

mij
December 27, 2007, 06:09 AM
why are we talking about alok kapali?

Protic
December 29, 2007, 05:08 AM
Mahmudullah Riyadh for Mehrab Junior -- All the way.

cricket_king
December 29, 2007, 05:23 AM
No point in saying "they're not ready yet". They're gumbie. Both are useless from what I've seen. I can't even imagine why Kapali's name came up while Mahmuddullah has nothing special in him. Aftab needs to be in that number 6 position, while Mushfique can move up to number 3. If we're chasing something big, swap them.

Protic
December 29, 2007, 05:53 AM
Im not talkin about positions.. i said IF mehrabs on the team..w/e spot he bats.. he shud be replaced by Riyadh..Riyadh is better than Mehrab.

Rubu
December 29, 2007, 10:40 AM
YAAAKT?

(yet another alok kapali thread?)

Mohiul
December 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
Mahmudullah Riyadh for Mehrab Junior -- All the way.

ditto

as far as Alok Kapali, at the moment big no for him

tonoy
December 29, 2007, 11:07 AM
YAAAKT?

exactly.

Rifat
March 22, 2008, 11:33 AM
i wanted to bump this thread up since i feel that alhamdulillah Riyad has secured a solid ODI spot with solid batting and bowling performances in this Ireland visiting Bangladesh 2008 tour... what i like about him is that he performs to the best of his ability as he is asked... he never tries to be a superhero but i feel inshallah if he continues momentum he will be an excellent asset to this team...

i really liked his bowling figures and his 44* today :)

sadi
March 22, 2008, 12:06 PM
I will wait till the Pak tour before jumping to an conclusion. However, Mahmudullah doing well makes our team so much more balanced.

Tokai
March 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
i think these two players are the best suited for the no 6 position in oneday game.
YESSSSSS!!!!!

lets play them both at #6. 50% time alok plays and 50% riad plays (of the same game).

Razi
March 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
IMO the no.7 position should be fixed for Riyad...I really liked him a lot since his debut against Srilanka where he came in to bat when Bangladesh were in deep trouble and still managed to score a very well composed 36 to take Bangladesh closer to the target. And today i am really very ecstatic seeing him bat unlike the typical Bangladeshi fashion where everyone just loves to slog. But Riyad showed others how to score fast without taking any sort of risks. He managed to score 49 not out off 44 balls which is a far better score than any of the other Bangladeshi slogger. Here is his ODI careers batting and fielding statistics:

Batting and fielding averages

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
4 3 2 88 49* 88.00 102 86.27 0 0 5 0 1 0

I hope i could make it clear to everyone that why he should be the fixed no.7 of Bangladesh...!!!

Miraz
March 22, 2008, 12:51 PM
YESSSSSS!!!!!

lets play them both at #6. 50% time alok plays and 50% riad plays (of the same game).

Brilliant idea, I concur.

If needed we should send a petition to ICC to allow this extraordinary arrangement for the sake of our talents.
:-D

ialbd
March 22, 2008, 01:19 PM
from the first day this guy Riyad impressed me ....

he is like the yuvraj singh of our team, cameo late order blasts with the bat and a good ODI 5th bowler.....

seeing rubel bat, I'll pick riyad any day even though he doesnt have as much turn as rubel.... but its our batting we are (and will be) concerned with for a while....

only bowler with just his bowling skills to be selected is Syed Rasel....

Russell2k7
March 22, 2008, 01:32 PM
He can not only hit the ball but also is a sensible batsman. He helped Tamim to get his century and took us to 290+ which our more *experienced* players failed to do.

Murad
March 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
from the first day this guy Riyad impressed me ....

he is like the yuvraj singh of our team, cameo late order blasts with the bat and a good ODI 5th bowler.....

seeing rubel bat, I'll pick riyad any day even though he doesnt have as much turn as rubel.... but its our batting we are (and will be) concerned with for a while....

only bowler with just his bowling skills to be selected is Syed Rasel....

Same here.

I liked his batting on his debut. 36 off 50+ balls with only one 4. It was under pressure as well.

His bowling is good as well. He gives extra variaty to the spin department. The less SLAs we have the better.

mahbubH
March 22, 2008, 01:58 PM
Riad's batting is ok but I doubt whether he is a 10-over ODI bowler. He has a good head for sure.

Slysaint
March 22, 2008, 04:35 PM
You're right of course, but given the discrepancy between our domestic FC and the highest level, how else can we expect players like Alok to adjust better to International cricket? As much as I support Alok getting his chances at the highest level but also recognize GREAT domestic performance and some sort of transitional cricket as a prerequisite before maybe he can become our own Misbah who can also take wickets in the longest version of the sport. Maybe until the NCL can close some of that gap between domestic and international standards, BCB needs to organize more matches for the A or other "second tier" teams with equivalent international sides. Given the realities of our cricket, I don't think it's fair to compare what our norms should be to those of older cricket cultures at the highest level, just a thought ... :)

are you suggesting that A team should play 1st team sides of countries like Ireland, kenya Canada etc and other A team sides? and senior team should concentrate on the fundamentals? and try and get teams like Pakistan and Zimbabwe to play often? (as these teams are avoided by other teams?)

al-Sagar
March 22, 2008, 09:44 PM
riad always

tamim
nafees
aftab
sakib
ashraful
riad
reza
dhiman
mashrafe
razzak
rasel/shahadat

this is the best balanced team

ialbd
March 22, 2008, 10:55 PM
^^^
That is the dream team right now OffStump with me picking Syed Rasel for ODIs.....

bujhee kom
March 23, 2008, 02:07 AM
great respect for mahmudullah riyad!

desirocker
March 23, 2008, 05:19 AM

also we may drop aftab at no 6 bat in that case we have to find a no 3, but i think aftab is best at no 3 as he can use the powerplay.

kapali had his chances but he was chopped and changed for a lot of times. and whatever i have seen of mahmudullah riyadh he looks to be a good prospect for the middle order.

i hope after the NZ series jamie siddons will have a good look at the players available and work them out and get the best team available for the SA series.

well man, i think ryaid is better than kappai

WarWolf
March 23, 2008, 06:56 AM
YAAAKT?

I was thinking the same..:hairpull:

BD-BLAST
March 23, 2008, 07:46 AM
Alok Kapali is a great player in the National League. No doubt very talented player. But he is an under performer in the international arena. Just like Al Shariar Rokon. Mahmadullah looks promising and his bowling looks fairly decent.

The bottom line:

They wanted to put Kapali into the team....I said NO NO NO (background theme from Amy Winehouse"

Sohel
March 24, 2008, 07:38 AM
are you suggesting that A team should play 1st team sides of countries like Ireland, kenya Canada etc and other A team sides? and senior team should concentrate on the fundamentals? and try and get teams like Pakistan and Zimbabwe to play often? (as these teams are avoided by other teams?)

That's what I mean more or less. More A-Team cricket against the A-Teams of the Top 8, and then maybe a "soft" comeback against the imroving Zimbabwe and quality associate sides like Ireland, Kenya, Scotland, Holland and maybe even Namibia, UAE and Denmark to "get their feet wet" build a bit of confindence. With all due respect to our great neighbors to the north, Canada is not a quality associate side IMO, although we all rememeber WC 2003 only too well. That said Cricket USA sucks just as badly, if not more.

I am SICK and TIRED of seeing any of our players fail at the highest level after an odd patch of sucess here and there. Extensive FC and A-Team Cricket just may set them up for success better.

Look at Malinda Warnapura, 28 with scores of :duck:, 82, 120 in the 3 test innings he has played to date with an early average of 67.3. He played 122 FC matches within the framework of an older and better quality cricket infrastructure just to be here. He has already played 77 List A innings, has two 100s and six 50s, but is yet make it into the Lankan ODI side ... :)

The senior team is not a place to learn the fundamentals IMHO, but looks like that's what they're doing under Coach Siddons. Better late than never. That said, the senior team should continue to do what their doing.

Riad is actually delivering with the bat what we Alok supporters wanted to see form our man all along. He's rotating the strike sensibly and playing his strokes when he needs to. Now he may not look as classy as Alok does in the domestic circuit with either of those, but unlike Alok, he is taking his opportunities with both hands.

Riad is also a more economical limited overs bowler than Alok, and while his fielding is not nearly as good - Alok alongside Abul Bashar are two of the best Bangladeshi fielders IMO - he is capable of improving and becoming better once he focuses on that.

Look at Forhad, from so-so to one of the best. Heck, even Abir, possibly the worst Bangladeshi fielder with HaBa before he quit smoking AND lost weight, has also done exceptionally well of late. Mind over matter, and grit does indeed matter.

I just hope Riad does a better job than Alok in terms of SUSTAINING his success. He will Inshallah.

I edited my previous post BTW. Sorry about the run ons ... :)

Murad
March 24, 2008, 12:53 PM
From what I've in in two matches that Riyad played, he has better technique than Shakibul Hasan. Better footwork, better balance.

He's shown in the Srilanka match that he's a good batsmen. He again shown in the last match that he could become a good allrounder.

The good thing about him is that he doesn't rely on bounderies. He doesn't like to play shots on air.

auntu
March 24, 2008, 01:11 PM
riyad should be groomed up for no. 6 he got the touch

mshakir56
March 25, 2008, 03:00 AM
Why does Ashraful always gets a free ride into the team? Look at his average, its only 22 ! and he is the best player in our line up ! Wow ! No wonder we are the best team in the world ! Wow ! I am sure if Mahmuddulla Riyad, Rakibul Hasna, Alok Kapali would have maintained a far better average then Ashraful if they all played 113 ODI matches on the trot ! I just don't realise what is up with our selectors and our cricket board. So when will Ashraful get his average up to 30+? Probably when his age is 30+? So I got an idea, why don't we drop Ashraful now and pick him up again when his age is 30 odd, I am sure he would have some common sense by then. A captain is always supposed to lead from the front and set examples for the others to follow. Do you guys think that Ashraful can set examples for others to follow in the near future? I doubt it ! We don't need an Afridi in our team right now. We need more of Mohammed Yousuf !

cricket_king
March 26, 2008, 05:15 AM
Why does Ashraful always gets a free ride into the team? Look at his average, its only 22 ! and he is the best player in our line up ! Wow ! No wonder we are the best team in the world ! Wow ! I am sure if Mahmuddulla Riyad, Rakibul Hasna, Alok Kapali would have maintained a far better average then Ashraful if they all played 113 ODI matches on the trot ! I just don't realise what is up with our selectors and our cricket board. So when will Ashraful get his average up to 30+? Probably when his age is 30+? So I got an idea, why don't we drop Ashraful now and pick him up again when his age is 30 odd, I am sure he would have some common sense by then. A captain is always supposed to lead from the front and set examples for the others to follow. Do you guys think that Ashraful can set examples for others to follow in the near future? I doubt it ! We don't need an Afridi in our team right now. We need more of Mohammed Yousuf !

Question #1 - How long have you followed Bangladesh cricket?
Question #2 - Have you ever watched Ashraful bat?
Question #3 - Are you nuts?

thebest
March 26, 2008, 06:17 AM
I would answer as I agree with mshakir56.
1. I first watch Bangladesh came probably in late 1979 or early 1980 agaienst Pakistan who was touring India at the time.
2. I am privilaged enough to watch all Ash-the fool eid bar one (the first century)
3. I do not consider myself as nut and we should ask those question plus when he would learn.
And I am refraining from any comments on the subject matter of this thread as I consider it as YAAKT

abu2abu
March 26, 2008, 07:14 AM

Cricket_king that's a bit harsh. mshakir56 makes a very good point, ash only averages 22 (a tailender's average) and yet is regarded as our best batsman. The reality is over the last 18 months (for example) either Shakib or Tamim have performed more consistently with the bat.

We need to be realistic, Ash is hugely talented but consistently underperforms. We keep waiting for him to turn it on, but he may never do so.

This is what Angus Fraser wrote today about the recently-retired Stephen Flemming:

"In Test cricket only seven players have scored more half centuries than Fleming but each of them have posted 20 or more Test hundreds. In 111 Tests Fleming struck just nine. As his country's most successful captain and holder of several other records he has a great deal to be proud of but the small number of three figure scores does not do justice to the talent of the man."

If Ash is not careful he'll be remebered in a similar way...

cricket_king
March 27, 2008, 12:36 AM
Cricket_king that's a bit harsh. mshakir56 makes a very good point, ash only averages 22 (a tailender's average) and yet is regarded as our best batsman. The reality is over the last 18 months (for example) either Shakib or Tamim have performed more consistently with the bat.

We need to be realistic, Ash is hugely talented but consistently underperforms. We keep waiting for him to turn it on, but he may never do so.

This is what Angus Fraser wrote today about the recently-retired Stephen Flemming:

"In Test cricket only seven players have scored more half centuries than Fleming but each of them have posted 20 or more Test hundreds. In 111 Tests Fleming struck just nine. As his country's most successful captain and holder of several other records he has a great deal to be proud of but the small number of three figure scores does not do justice to the talent of the man."

If Ash is not careful he'll be remebered in a similar way...
Well let's say Ashraful is remembered in such a way.
What will the rest of the players from Bangladesh be remembered as? What will any of the players from past to present be remembered as? As total gumbies. Bangladesh have never produced a player with Ashraful's calibre before. You can jeer him, yell at him or even hate him, but don't forget, there isn't anyone better in the team.

And perhaps we should refrain from comparing new players to Ashraful. The guy has been in the team since 2000 - anyone remember those days? I was pretty young but I would always hear how we lost another game. Plus the records prove it. The new players have had opportunities. Ashraful played his way in through sheer talent. No point in comparing.

Farhad
March 27, 2008, 12:51 AM
What will the rest of the players from Bangladesh be remembered as? What will any of the players from past to present be remembered as? As total gumbies. Bangladesh have never produced a player with Ashraful's calibre before. You can jeer him, yell at him or even hate him, but don't forget, there isn't anyone better in the team.

And perhaps we should refrain from comparing new players to Ashraful. The guy has been in the team since 2000 - anyone remember those days? I was pretty young but I would always hear how we lost another game. Plus the records prove it. The new players have had opportunities. Ashraful played his way in through sheer talent. No point in comparing.

All Ill say on the matter is that Id rather have a team of overachievers than a team of underperformers. Talent=Nothing (if you dont have the results to back it up). But I dont think we should even entertain the idea of dropping Ash now because of his past performances. He really seems to have turned a corner since the World Cup and seems a lot more composed...

But sticking to the topic, Riyad definitely deserves another shot. Alok, not so much...

abu2abu
March 27, 2008, 05:26 AM

Who's jeering?

Cricket_king saying there's no point in comparing is nonsense. why is there no point in comparing ash's performance in the last 12 or 18 months with that of tamim or shakib (as long as they've played a similar number of matches)? It seems absurd not to. In fact you do the same thing by asking how other BD players will be remembered!

You're talking about the past (back in 200 etc) I'm talking about the more recent past and the present. My point is the likes if tamim and Shakib have achieved far more in recent months than ash, yet ash is continually touted as our best batsman. That's because fans like us are obsessed with him. Like Flintoff in England, the fans can't see past the fancy, awesome strokeplay that sends hearts racing.

Not that you made the comparison, but the really pointless/silly comparison is ash v Sachin. He plays shots like sachin and is short like him too, but that's where the comparison ends. Sachin was far more consistent with 30-odd tests under his belt than Ash can ever dream of being.

Until he starts delivering he will always be remebered as an underachiever and on current form he deserves to be.

cricket_king
March 28, 2008, 12:37 AM
Who's jeering?

Cricket_king saying there's no point in comparing is nonsense. why is there no point in comparing ash's performance in the last 12 or 18 months with that of tamim or shakib (as long as they've played a similar number of matches)? It seems absurd not to. In fact you do the same thing by asking how other BD players will be remembered!

You're talking about the past (back in 200 etc) I'm talking about the more recent past and the present. My point is the likes if tamim and Shakib have achieved far more in recent months than ash, yet ash is continually touted as our best batsman. That's because fans like us are obsessed with him. Like Flintoff in England, the fans can't see past the fancy, awesome strokeplay that sends hearts racing.

Not that you made the comparison, but the really pointless/silly comparison is ash v Sachin. He plays shots like sachin and is short like him too, but that's where the comparison ends. Sachin was far more consistent with 30-odd tests under his belt than Ash can ever dream of being.

Until he starts delivering he will always be remebered as an underachiever and on current form he deserves to be.

So then according to your "comparisons", you can compare a newbie with a years worth of experience, to a master (not suggesting Ashraful is anywhere near a "master") with 15 years experience, for the same period of games they have played together, and select the one who has achieved more within that short period? So if our "master" happens to be in a form slump suddenly and is slowly gaining momentum back, then bid farewell to the now "ex-master", since the newbie has been scoring or taking wickets so rapidly.

I'm not saying that Ashraful isn't an under-achiever - anyone who has watched him play can see that. But it seems to me that you're failing to see what he had to go through to be where he is now, when compared to the likes of Shakib and Tamim. And by the way, Tamim is my favourite player. I wouldn't make him seem inferior to another player unless it were obvious.

But question still bugs me - Are you saying you don't consider Ashraful our best batsman?

nobody
March 28, 2008, 01:53 AM
Ashraful is not and never was our best batman. He is a fluke batsman a headless chiken. HB was our best test batsman till WC. Now there is no outstanding batsman. In ODI we do not had or have any one who is better than other. Aftab, Tamim and SN are the contender. To be best you have to be consistent - that is never a Ashraful's forte. I agree on his day Ashraful could murder the best of the attack but if he played in another country he would not get chance to play 100 ODI, the way he throws wicket.

mshakir56
March 28, 2008, 03:17 AM
Ashraful is not and never was our best batman. He is a fluke batsman a headless chiken. HB was our best test batsman till WC. Now there is no outstanding batsman. In ODI we do not had or have any one who is better than other. Aftab, Tamim and SN are the contender. To be best you have to be consistent - that is never a Ashraful's forte. I agree on his day Ashraful could murder the best of the attack but if he played in another country he would not get chance to play 100 ODI, the way he throws wicket.

EXACTLY ! What you just wrote is absolutely bang on target ! Clean Bowled !

abu2abu
March 28, 2008, 04:31 AM
So then according to your "comparisons", you can compare a newbie with a years worth of experience, to a master (not suggesting Ashraful is anywhere near a "master") with 15 years experience, for the same period of games they have played together, and select the one who has achieved more within that short period? So if our "master" happens to be in a form slump suddenly and is slowly gaining momentum back, then bid farewell to the now "ex-master", since the newbie has been scoring or taking wickets so rapidly.

I'm not saying that Ashraful isn't an under-achiever - anyone who has watched him play can see that. But it seems to me that you're failing to see what he had to go through to be where he is now, when compared to the likes of Shakib and Tamim. And by the way, Tamim is my favourite player. I wouldn't make him seem inferior to another player unless it were obvious.

But question still bugs me - Are you saying you don't consider Ashraful our best batsman?

nobody makes my point for me, but in short the answer to your final question is no, I don't consider Ash to be our best batsman.

"What he's gone through" in the past is of no consequece unless he uses that experience to make him a more consistent batsman. He has not, he is as inconsistent today as he was 3 or 4 years ago. He may be our "most naturally gifted batsman", or the best at innovative strokeplay, but he is not our "best batsman". The figures just don't add up for that to be true..

jahidus200
March 28, 2008, 09:08 AM
hey man i just saw video ban vs ire 3rd odi in google video . riad i think he is really good batsman for test also . and definitlely in odi too . he bat like very good batsman ,like he dont have no problem at all to facing a fast bowl or spin bowl . that is really good to see. and we must need this kind of player to made big partnership . and he also has very good patient and stong muscle , tall like tamim.

Tigers_eye
March 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
good discussion going on here. Just missing Fazal.

In my list the best batsmen are:

1. Abdur Razzak
2. Mashrafe Bin Murtaza
3. Shahadat Hossain
4. Retired Mohammad Rafique.

5. Soon to be new batting sensation Rasel.

Nasif is still working on BC fantacy cricket. Other wise I would have beaten all of you with my set of batsmen. Many times I have said let us just turn upside down the batting lineup and see how BD does in a series. I am sure we will consistantly score over 200 in ODIs against bigger teams. Not like 178, 173 putuputu 143. The current lineup is taking us no where. So why not try some thing new? :-D

One World
March 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
tekcirc? Is that a game we should play.

ASH is over rated. He and Aftab won us some valuable matches. But chances are going down the hill of repeating such heroics.

If this PAK series does not prove to be good for them then there you go. Siddons need to rethink his line up and team structure.

As for MR and AK - there should not be much comparison. Its like comparing Akram with Ashraful.