PDA

View Full Version : Mehrab dropped in favor of Tushar

oporajeyo_bangla
December 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
http://tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=481

"2nd ODI: Tushar replaces Mehrab
TigerCricket.com Report
27-December-2007

NAPIER: Bangladesh have made one change in their line-up for tomorrow’s second ODI against New Zealand at McLeans Park. Middle-order batsman Tushar Imran, who has recovered from a shoulder injury, comes in for Mehrab Hossain (Jr.).

The Tigers took the one-hour flight from Auckland to this scenic tourist attraction by the South Pacific today (Thursday) morning. After checking into their hotel, which is a stone-throw away from the beach, the Bangladesh team headed for McLeans Park for a light hour and a half’s training session which was followed by swimming.

Although the first ODI ended in a disappointing 6-wicket loss for the tourists Mohammad Ashraful's dashing innings of 70 from 57 balls at Eden Park has impressed many here including New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori.

"I thought he was pretty outstanding," Vettori told The New Zealand Herald.

"It reminded us of some of the world class players going round at the moment with his ability to hit good balls for four or six consistently. He's got an amazing eye and he's going to be a threat to us consistently through this series."

The match starts at 11:00am local time (4:00am Bangladesh Standard Time).

Teams

Bangladesh: Mohammad Ashraful (Captain), Zunaed Siddique, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Shakib Al Hasan, Tushar Imran, Farhad Reza, Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicketkeeper), Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, Abdur Razzak, Shahadat Hossain. 12th man – Javed Omer Belim

New Zealand (From): Daniel Vettori (Captain), Brendon McCullum (Wicketkeeper), Jamie How, Peter Fulton, Scott Styris , Ross Taylor, Mathew Sinclair, Jacob Oram, Kyle Mills, Mark Gillespie, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is a welcome change. Mehrab looked out of sorts in the first ODI. The manner in which he got out was appalling. It seemed he was not up to international standards.

Hopefully Tushar can overcome lack of match practice and deliver in the middle order.

Kabir
December 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
I personally believe (copying Miss South Carolina), dropping Mehrab in favor of Tushar is going to screw us all Bangladeshis, and is not going to help for the betterment of our beloved nation.

Dhakablues
December 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
I dont know how worse Tusher can do than what Mehrab/Mushfique/Aftab has been doing... I mean, I think he can atleast hold the bat down if he is to avoid a short pitched ball..

Yameen
December 27, 2007, 11:03 AM
I dont think its going to pay off, would have prefered mehrab to be replaced with a pacer like sajidul.

Dhakablues
December 27, 2007, 11:07 AM
Why would we include a 4th seamer like Sajidul when the batting depth is not beyond the 5th? I dont get it.. We have Farhad bowling good along with Mashrafee/Shahadat. If it was Mehrab being replaced, it wouldve been either Tusher or Rajin,, a 4th seamer was out of the question,, especially for a team that lacks a tall batting order.

sandpiper
December 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Inclusion of Sajid would have been useful in these conditions. I doubt how Tushar will contribute in our shaky middle-order.

Tigers_eye
December 27, 2007, 11:28 AM
Good change. Now let Tushar play the next one as well.

Rifat
December 27, 2007, 11:36 AM
I personally believe (copying Miss South Carolina), dropping Mehrab in favor of Tushar is going to screw us all Bangladeshis, and is not going to help for the betterment of our beloved nation.

i agree with you! i did not want a change with the ODI XI, because the batting problems, it is not just one or two guys, it is pretty much the majority... i do not see how changing will improve team chemistry for much better performances in the future.

i am starting to feel a bit better...Alhamdulillah! but i am still upset about game 1.

Ajfar
December 27, 2007, 12:13 PM

...LOLOLzzz...that video on youtube was one of the most watched video this yearr...

mshakir56
December 27, 2007, 12:17 PM
Why not Rajin instead of Tushar. Are they saying that Tushar is a better player then Rajin Saleh. They got to be kidding me.

BangladeshFan
December 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
i think aftab should play at no. 6, 3 is just too high for him.

tushar replacing mehrab is right thing to do and he should bat at 3.

one of them has to hold the innings together and play as anchor. tamim is incapable, he cant even rotate the strike. either ashraful, or tushar/junaed/sakib has to dig deep and set himself for a long innings.

AsifTheManRahman
December 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
Well this was bound to happen, seeing that Tushar is "supposedly" Siddon's favourite and Mehrab hasn't helped his cause. Here's to hoping that Tushar shines and seals his place in this series.

BD Tigers
December 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
i think aftab should play at no. 6, 3 is just too high for him.

tushar replacing mehrab is right thing to do and he should bat at 3.

one of them has to hold the innings together and play as anchor. tamim is incapable, he cant even rotate the strike. either ashraful, or tushar/junaed/sakib has to dig deep and set himself for a long innings.

ditto. moreover Siddons wants our boys to play 50 overs, so he will definitely send Tusher at no. 3 and Aftab at 6. I think Aftab plays better at 6 anyway.

kaisermatin
December 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
They are all consistently unpredictable. This may be a new team strategy, I guess! Change is good, it gives a message: either perform or get booted...

Dhakablues
December 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
I think the management did what they planned to do from the start. Tusher was included in the ODI for #6, had he not got injured, you probably have seen him in the first ODI as well. There was no doubt about it.

On paper, Tusher is a much better batsman, right after Ashraful. Though his FC averages ( 32.25) are much better than even the captain himself ( 30.95) but in reality he needs to prove that fact with the national team,, especially on foreign soil.

bdchamp20
December 27, 2007, 01:03 PM
I cant believe they did this..Mehrab Jr. shouldve been replaced..but with a pacer and not Tushar, preferably Nazmul Hossain according to me but whatever lets see what happens.

arafath79
December 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
Dropping Mehrab in ODI is a good choice by the team management but I am not sure how well Tushar will bat because his performance in international cricket is very poor. Best of luck T Imran !!!

Pundit
December 27, 2007, 01:24 PM
Yup, this was a difficult call. But after the last show, selectors are playing conservative and consolidating the order.

But that is the funny thing, you know. I just feel that the middle order is needlessly being spotlighted for its failure. And everybody feels that the top order did well. I disagree.

The top order did not do well, at all. Of the top 5, only 2 did well. And that has become misleading. Had Aftab put on more runs, Ashraful added 20 more, everybody who followed wooould have come out with more confidence and held their chins up when batting.

Our batsmen can play, but they just don't want to.

And with TI, JS, AA, MA, SAH, MRAHIM....as our top order, and with some responsible batting, we could always have afforded an extra seamer.

I have the DVD of our game against SA in the WC. These 6'5" white players have no clue when the ball comes in low and slow (me being called names for that description).

If you don't have a pitch from the sub-continent, bowl slow to mimic that condition.

Shahadat was good, and that is why it seems a pacer will flourish...and that is correct. But just see what happened to our other pacer...who was ordinary for most of the times.

Ejaj
December 27, 2007, 01:31 PM
This is a good change. I would love to see this Tushar doing well in the international level. By quality, he has one of the best technique in BD. Lets hope for the best. And.. please.. no Rajin or JO. Thanks.

akabir77
December 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
Mahrab was not dropped. He was in the team as Tusher was injured. Since Tusher is fit now mehrab has to give up tushers places.

Do you call that Dropped?

oporajeyo_bangla
December 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
Do you call that Dropped?

On second thought, dropped probably wasn't the best word to use. Tushar would've played had he not been injured.

RazabQ
December 27, 2007, 02:23 PM
Pundit - good thoughts. I actually would have brought in Sajid. Here's why. We are going to be batting on a shirt-front, by all accounts. I would have liked the extra variety that Sajid would have brought. Neither Tushar or Mehrab will add much IMHO, but when Shakib or Farhad is being carted around, a real bowler would have been handy.

bdchamp20
December 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
Mushfiq must come in at no. 3 and Aftab at no. 6 if we are to avoid another middle-order collapse. If Siddons and Durjoy decide to do it like the 1st ODI I must call them stupid.

Eshen
December 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
Last thing I want to see is Tushar being sent to bat at #3 again. He is coming back from an injury with almost no match practice here in NZ. The management should play safe and should not send him any earlier than #5.

AsifTheManRahman
December 27, 2007, 02:34 PM
Interesting thoughts Pundit. But as you said, this was a tough one and I guess it could have gone either way.

In any case, Mashrafe better get his acts together soon. A lot of our success depends on being able to grab a few quick wickets earlier on in the inning.

Nocturnal
December 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
Goof move, now Tushar plz do some justice for fans, score some decent runs.

Tigers_eye
December 27, 2007, 03:17 PM
I think the NZ batsman needs to be more aggressive and lose some wickets early. If they become cautious and sticks around they have the fire power to post a huge total or to overcome any total Bd can muster.

Mash along with NZ openers are the key here. NZ, com'on press the self-destruct button. BD does it all the time. It is fun, try it. Doesn't matter if Sajid is playing or not. Forhad needs to bowl few slower balls like Rasel and get wickets. :)

amra_korbo_joy
December 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
I never had any faith on Tushar in national team. I would not even select him for ODI. So bad decision.

MarufH
December 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
So... he is gonna play at no. 3 to create an early collapse or come later to have another middle order crash like last time???

bdbazar_com
December 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
I would say Tushar would be our next Rukon, never perform when it matters