PDA

View Full Version : it is a psychological battle: Our team needs a huge morale boost from fans

Rifat
December 28, 2007, 06:39 AM
this is a reflection thread. i wasn't as dissapointed wih the performances yesterday because i wasn't expecting a win. i was very dissapointed with the first ODI since i was expecting a win. but overall, Bangladesh have shown trends of improvement...

1. 1st ODI: they were batting exceptionally until the 27th over... even though we think the pressure was off the Bangladeshi batsmen, but pressure was on them, on them to carry on to 50 overs. this is all psychological... All the Supporters of Bangladeshi were flying with hopes of a victory when the score was 148/3 in the 28th over. but somehow, everyone expected Bangladesh to carry on critics and supporters alike, given the recent boom boom improvement in our cricket play. so our batsmen were feeling the burden of "Must go on" type attitude. this type of attacking batting attitude is something only we have seen recently against class opposition. too much expectation led to psychological pressure, psychological pressure led to inevitable collapse.

2. 2nd ODI: i thought they batted quite well for the first 12 overs. again, they lose the psychological advantage when the expectations start soaring again,with psychological pressure, collapse is once again inevitable.

3. satisfaction versus demand: they are quite capable players, they lose it after playing half of the match because the 20/20 format has distracted the players abilities to continuosly perform. when the team does really good, are in command,on song, they start feeling pressure tat they should finish it, the demand for them to play well allows them to carry that exra psychological pressure to let them slack off a bit for ive to seven overs, little o they realize how improtant every singe moment is in international cricket. i wuld still overlook someo of their blunders because we are yet to have a full strength experienced squad, young talent is not the only way to suceed in cricket.
the think they are satisfied when they hit a coupleof fours or a fancy six. but in reality, to pay a successful cricket innings you have to balance aggression with defense playing safe shots and rotating the strike.

4. consistent performance: if you look at Aftab, Ashraful, Razzak, Rafique, Mortaza they have been playing for Bangladesh for quite a while, thus do are still young, but however, they have quite some experience under their respective names. they have the abililty o perform on a consisten basis, an th have rightfuly done so, especially the skipper Mohammad ashraful. Talent like Shahriar Nafees were getting used to internatinal arena, until a patch of poor performances gets him off the team. one has to agree though, he was amon te most consistent performers on song when he was in the team. the truth is, even though fans know, guys like Ashraful, nad Tamim Iqbal are quite capable of batting 50 overs, they do not come to the crease with that type of mindset, they come to the crease thinking that i will take my team to an excellent position,: but when we are in an excellent position, they feel as if they had doe their job, to en extent that is true,sadly our middle order failed to carry on the momentum built by Ashraful and Tamim in the first ODI against New Zealand on boxing day.

5.the strength of the opposition: this cricket season, we have beeen consistently been challenged by India, Sri Lanka and New Zealand. even though or team has lost all the matches against India, the team has perfomed quite well gainst them at home soil. we did good becasue we had a psychological advantage over them. we have been losing consistently because of the given strength of the opposition is not what we are used to since last year. the game plan formula is there, the confidence is thre, only thing missing is enough experience for the players.

so you see, it is not a question of whether Bangladesh can play effective cricket or not, we have quite dominantly shown not only we an play but play effectively. it is all a matter of team morale, team chemistry and experience that still eludes the Bangladesh team from a victory, a well deserved convincng victory. it is all psychological.

Rifat
December 28, 2007, 06:45 AM
we should never ignore the weaknesses of this team:

1. the psychological aspect...the burden of expectation versus reality

2. failure to convert singles into doubles, and occasional missed singles, that makes a huge difference in the game.

3. failure to play effectively for the whole 100 overs, again this is a question of experience, the class/strength of the opposition, the motivation of the team itself... and team psychology.

a much realistic expectation from this team at this stage would be to play the whole quite effectively, the question of victory should come later.

BangladeshFan
December 28, 2007, 10:13 AM
Maybe the hunger and sacrifices required to succeed at this level is not there.

akabir77
December 28, 2007, 10:22 AM
I don't know what you think of this team. to me they are better than previous BD team but they are not there yet. to win this team needs home condition or pitch and also the other team to play normal (not bad).

Yesterday NZ played supper and hence BD lost.

Protic
December 28, 2007, 10:35 AM
Previous bd team? which one? one with bashar,masud,rafique? or one with akram,aminul,naimur? or one with rokibul,athar..?

tigers2008
December 28, 2007, 11:30 AM
previous BD team captained by bahser, present team have already showed improvement. where as before only certain individuals were doing well in every matches, but the different is now that all the players are trying play as team, surely thats gotta be a good thing.

lets hope better things to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ishtylish cricketer
December 28, 2007, 11:32 AM
I agree with the thread starter is calling out for though some things are downright painful. I mean we can't get 250 even with 20 overs of powerplay. Restrict even state sides for less than 5 runs per over. I understand the grounds are small so why can't our batters put up the runs. Newzeland doesn't have a potent bowling attack so what's the excuse? Guys with 50 strike rates trying to earn a spot in the line up...anyways it's good that Tushar is getting some games. Now people can't say that he hasn't gotten many opportunities. Other calling out for Rajin, Kapali, or Imrul Kayes...it wouldn't make a difference. As a team we are inferior to Newzeland that's the just the honest truth. All you can hope for is that at least Ashraful, Tamim and Aftab become consistent players in ODIs at least. The rest are average.

One World
December 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
You cannot really blame BD players or team for anything about yesterday's circus.

But few points caught my eye which may become prominent in future specially in the test matches:

1. If you are attempting a throw to r/o, hit the wicket.
2. No overthrows (not in tests)
3. Keep up the good work with catches :up:
4. Remember the early days of career and use that soft hand often when there is tight fielding, specially non-powerplay period

There may be more but those I recall for now.

Umar
December 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
Team specially when u are fielding...opening bowlers has to face the Psychologicaly pressure. And it is them who can take this pressure away from the whole individuals of the team...it is them who brings the pressure back into the team. I think our Opening bowlers(shahadat and Mashrafee) are not strong/clever or technical/good enough to take the pressure away from the team.

for the next game i wold rather suggest NAZMUL and SAJIDUL instead of MASHRAFEE and SHAHADAT . mashrafee maybe excused coz' of his batting ability. But shahadat is only good against Zimb/Ken and the practice matches.

akabir77
December 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
Previous bd team? which one? one with bashar,masud,rafique? or one with akram,aminul,naimur? or one with rokibul,athar..?

All of the above

zainab
December 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
I feel this team has greater potential, if they can get their act together. It is good what JS is doing, making them nayse their strengths and weaknesses and solutions suggested by they themselves. In this way everyone is accountable.
Now, look at the Windians, ranked 8th in the world, beating the NO2 ranked team convincingly. No1 was discipline and they worked as a unit. They spent 1 month with John Dyson at training camp and looked at what they have achieved- 180 degrees tunaround. Clive Lloyd told them that they must never get mishandled by other teams,
their attack now is pace all the way.
Let's hope this can happen to BD. I never dreamt that WI could beat SA in a TEST Match, but they have done it convincingly and hats off to them.

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 06:55 PM
I feel this team has greater potential, if they can get their act together. It is good what JS is doing, making them nayse their strengths and weaknesses and solutions suggested by they themselves. In this way everyone is accountable.
Now, look at the Windians, ranked 8th in the world, beating the NO2 ranked team convincingly. No1 was discipline and they worked as a unit. They spent 1 month with John Dyson at training camp and looked at what they have achieved- 180 degrees tunaround. Clive Lloyd told them that they must never get mishandled by other teams,
their attack now is pace all the way.
Let's hope this can happen to BD. I never dreamt that WI could beat SA in a TEST Match, but they have done it convincingly and hats off to them.
yeh..I was surprised as well.

zahid
December 29, 2007, 07:59 PM
Burden of pressure from fans????

Since when do our team give a damn about the fans?