PDA

View Full Version : Compare Mash

Tigers_eye
December 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
1) How good will Mashrafe Bin Murtaza be in few years?

2) With his current form can he make the starting lineup of India, Pakistan, SL, NZ, SA, even WI?

3) Is he better than Mills (NZ), Malinga - Maharoof - Farnando (SL), Asif - Gul (Pak), RP Singh - Pathan (Ind), Shahadat (BD), Mahmood - Sidebottom - Hoggard (Eng), Langeveldt - Nel - Steyn - Hall - Pollock (SA)?

Notice I kept Bond, Vass, Shoaib, Zaheer, Rasel, Ntini, Flintoff, Harmison and all Australians out of the discussion.

Aaron
December 28, 2007, 05:09 PM

2) With his current form can he make the starting lineup of India, Pakistan, SL, NZ, SA, even WI?

3) Is he better than Mills (NZ), Malinga - Maharoof - Farnando (SL), Asif - Gul (Pak), RP Singh - Pathan (Ind), Shahadat (BD), Mahmood - Sidebottom - Hoggard (Eng), Langeveldt - Nel - Steyn - Hall - Pollock (SA)?

Notice I kept Bond, Vass, Shoaib, Zaheer, Rasel, Ntini, Flintoff, Harmison and all Australians out of the discussion.

Bujhlam na Zaheer ei list er modhdhe kemne included hoilo!! Is he a fast bowler!!

Murad
December 28, 2007, 05:16 PM
Zaheer bowls faster than Mashrafe. And also a better bowler than him. He always gets wickets agaisnt any team.

Mashrafe is one-dimentional (yes, very sad to say). He needs to learn how to swing the ball from Rasel. Shahadat at the moment bowls better than Mashrafe. He's aggressive. He mixup the balls and trouble the batsmen. He will be better day by day.

If Mash keep bowling like this, very soon he will lose the place as there are plenty of fast bowlers in the waiting line. ex. Sajidul, Dollar, Robin.

akabir77
December 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
Zaheer bowls faster than Mashrafe. And also a better bowler than him. He always gets wickets agaisnt any team.

Mashrafe is one-dimentional (yes, very sad to say). He needs to learn how to swing the ball from Rasel. Shahadat at the moment bowls better than Mashrafe. He's aggressive. He mixup the balls and trouble the batsmen. He will be better day by day.

If Mash keep bowling like this, very soon he will lose the place as there are plenty of fast bowlers in the waiting line. ex. Sajidul, Dollar, Robin.

Khubi KHati KOtha

al Furqaan
December 28, 2007, 05:30 PM
zaheer no longer bowls faster than mash...recently mash is bowling in the 132-140 k range whereas from 2004-2007 WC he was usually operating at the 128-133 range with occaisionaly forays into the 135-136 territory.

RP and Sreesanth are faster than him tho - but there average speeds are prolly more or less the same.

al Furqaan
December 28, 2007, 05:31 PM
shahadat certainly has been bowling better than mash this series. but lets wait for the test series to see if mash is out of form.

lets remember that he did get How earlier than he did, and would have had another wicket had we had a first slip in place.

arafath79
December 28, 2007, 05:34 PM
Mashrafe is still the fastest bowler of BD. I have seen he did bowl with the speed of 139-140 kmh in both ODI against NZ where Shahadat's highest speed was 137 kmh. He just can't swing the bowl properly with that speed and also his line and length is not good enough. But I hope he will come back in form soon.

arafath79
December 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
shahadat certainly has been bowling better than mash this series. but lets wait for the test series to see if mash is out of form.

lets remember that he did get How earlier than he did, and would have had another wicket had we had a first slip in place.

Yes, Mashrafe could get 2 wickets at the begining if umpire would go in favour of him and Mushfic could take the catch. He was a bit unlucky.

Murad
December 28, 2007, 05:41 PM
Speed diye kaam naire bhai... khali 140 speed e bowl korle hobe na.. wicket na paile ei speed er o daam nai... tachahra Mashrafe bowl korai jeno bhule geche..

BD-Shardul
December 28, 2007, 05:57 PM

Unfortunately, if his current attitude continues, I am afraid that MASH might efface from BD cricket. I think the main reason for the downhill of Mash is the marriage factor.

IND- Yes, as third pacer beside Zaheer and Pathan.
Pakistan, SL,SA, WI - NO
NZ- Not Sure

Current Mash is in the same group of Fernando, RP Singh, Shahadat

Bowlers better than Current Mash Maharoof, Malinga, Gul,

Current Mash is not even close to Asif, Pathan, Sidebottom, Hoggard

Langeveldt - Nel - Steyn - Hall - Pollock- Have not much Idea about them

amra_korbo_joy
December 28, 2007, 06:21 PM
I think Mahrafee has lost interest in cricket.

cricket_fanatic
December 28, 2007, 09:17 PM

Hard to say. I think Mashrafe's biggest drawback seems to be that he hasn't shown a lot of developement over the years - still not much movement other than the in cutter and an inability to mix things up in the slogg overs. Also he is very temperamental I think - remember how he was fired up in the WC match against India after Rana's death, sth that's missing in him more often thatn not! He needs to realise he's the senior most bowler in the team ( now that Rafiq is not in ) and perform accordingly. I seriously think he needs help from a bowling coach if he's to be the force we want him to be in the coming years; a stint @ county cricket might be useful as well.

I reckon he'll still make the 11 ( depending on how well Shahadat and Rasel bowl ).

In my opinion, he's surely not a better bowler than Asif, Gul, Malinga, Hoggard, Nel, Steyn: simply coz all these guyz have at least a couple of match winning performances in test matches which Mashrafe doesn't have. In terms of skill he's probably on a similar level to the rest ( other than Pollock - he was was a fabulous bowler in his prime ).

Hp he proves me wrong in the upcoming test series.

arafath79
December 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
Speed diye kaam naire bhai... khali 140 speed e bowl korle hobe na.. wicket na paile ei speed er o daam nai... tachahra Mashrafe bowl korai jeno bhule geche..

Well speed does matter but Mashrafe didn't manage to put the ball at the right area to trouble the batsmen. Dropping him will never make BD pacre attack stronger.

AsifTheManRahman
December 29, 2007, 01:51 AM
He will be quite good in the next few years. The only way we can help these guys improve is by arranging specialized training for them on a regular basis. Whether this should come from Siddons or a bowling coach is for the board to decide.

Mahir
December 29, 2007, 02:11 AM
He will be quite good in the next few years. The only way we can help these guys improve is by arranging specialized training for them on a regular basis. Whether this should come from Siddons or a bowling coach is for the board to decide.

Agreed, although Mash is NOT being good at the moment. He's not out-thinking the batsmen these days, especially during the slog overs. To be a first-rate paceman, he needs extract more bounce off the deck from a good length (not just the short stuff), which is something he's not succeeding in at the moment.

Mash should easily make the starting XI of all the Asian countries except Sri Lanka, where he'll have to tough it out against Fernando, who's already at no.3 there behind Malinga and Vaas. He can also make it to the NZ and WI team, but will probably not cut past the SAf pacers who are there now.

To classify him with the other bowlers mentioned, my POV puts him just behind Steyn, Hoggard, Malinga, Fernando, Asif and Pollock. Our Shahadat has not reached his level (potentially) yet.

But all these classifications and playing XI selections are merely based on his potential and not what he's been doing currently. Much harder work needed, boy!

Thankfully, his batting abilities has been kept out of this particular discussion :up:

cricket_king
December 29, 2007, 02:34 AM
He needs to learn to swing the ball. That, as well as bowling with a lot more aggression. Both Rasel and Shahadat can help him with these factors. He's still the best bowler Bangladesh has produced so far.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 02:55 AM

It is not easy for me to talk about one of my favorite players when he's going through a bad to mediocre patch like this, but I really feel he can only get better if he manages to stay fit. Can't get any worse and stay where he is for too long.

No. He's is arguably only as good as Irfan, Munaf, Rao Iftekhar Anjum and the hugely overrated and prematurely included Ishant Sharma at this point, all fringe bowlers for their teams. Irfan's a better batsman who continues to improve as such. SL, NZ, SA and especially WI pacers are miles ahead of him, the more accurate Langevelt being the closest.

A. Mills, Martin - No, Mash does not have their consistent pace or accuracy.
B. Malinga, Pollock and Steyn- No, Polly is a living legend, Lasith is several classes above Mash and most others IMHO, and Dale's at least a class above.
C. Powell, Edwards, Taylor, Fernando and Lawson- No, Fernando is pacier and generates a lot more bounce and movement, more aggressive too. SL seamers in the pipeline are better than him also. Powell and Taylor average 140+, Edwards 143+ and Lawson, not in the team 145-150+. All can swing the ball more consistently and bowl better yorkers than Mash.
D. Maharoof, Bravo and Sammy - No, Farveez is a bit quicker and more accurate than Mash, swings the better also. Bravo and Sammy are more accurate.
E. Asif, Gul, Hoggard, Sidebottom, Nel and RP- No, all are a cut above Mash in all areas of seam bowling.
F. Mahmood- Almost, though Sajid is quicker.
G. Shahadat- Rajib has been going for accuracy of late, compromising some of the pace he's capable of generating. Swing-wise, even this less than 100% Mash is still ahead of him. The sooner Rajib modifies his bowling action to use his height better, the sooner we can start better comparisons between Mash and him.

PS: All of my observations are based on what I've seen on TV.

tonoy
December 29, 2007, 02:59 AM
It is not easy for me to talk about one of my favorite players when he's going through a bad to mediocre patch like this, but I really feel he can only get better if he manages to stay fit. Can't get any worse and stay where he is for too long.

No. He's is arguably only as good as Irfan and Rao Iftekhar at this point, both fringe bowlers for their teams. Irfan's a better batsman. SL, NZ, SA and especially WI pacers are miles ahead of him, the more accurate Langevelt being the closest.

B. Malinga, Pollock and Steyn- No, Polly is a living legend, Lasith is several classes above Mash and most others IMHO, and Dale's at least a class above.
C. Fernando- No, Fernando is pacier and generates a lot more bounce and movement, more aggressive too.
D. Maharoof- No, Farveez is a bit quicker and more accurate than Mash, swings the better also.
E. Asif, Gul, Hoggard, Sidebottom, Nel and RP- No, all are a cut above Mash in all areas of seam bowling.

thank you for such an honest observation. I agree with you 100% about what you have just stated.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 03:18 AM
He IS better than Ravi Bopara with the ball and VRV Singh. Ranadev Bose is better than him as are the shorter Yasssir "PLO" Arafat and the taller Shabbir "sprayer" Ahmed.

BanCricFan
December 29, 2007, 03:43 AM
I disagree with Sohel. Masith is not several classes above Mash! Speed is not the only factor. Mash is just going through a very bad patch- most of his own making, I believe. He has lost all the aggression and just ambling in instead of running in with purpose. If Mash just sort out his attitude and fitness he is still capable of bowling 140 kph regularly and reaching mid 140s on occasions. Maharoof is NOT faster than Mash! And he is several classes above Rao and Sajids of this world. Mash knows how to swing. Watch how he got Dwayne out in the 20/20 match.

I think you're selling Mash well short here!

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 04:34 AM
We're talking about Mash since the India series.

Both Mash and Malinga were born in 1983 and have similar ODI economies. That's where the similarities end.

Malinga

Bowling averages

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10

Tests 28 55 4777 3076 91 5/68 9/210 33.80 3.86 52.4 7 2 0

ODIs 45 43 2101 1653 67 4/44 4/44 24.67 4.72 31.3 3 0 0 ... 1.69 wickets per innings with a team that also includes Murali, Vaas, Jayasuriya, Fernando and Maharoof.

Mash

Bowling averages

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10

Tests 25 34 4385 2378 59 4/60 5/104 40.30 3.25 74.3 3 0 0

ODIs 71 71 3666 2836 93 6/26 6/26 30.49 4.64 39.4 3 1 0 ... 1.31 wickets per innings with a team that has played a lot of ODIs against a depleted Zimbabwe and Kenya.

Maharoof consistently averages 135+ and swings it both ways whenever he bowls. Inaccuracy is an exception rather than the norm with him. He's also a better lower order batsman.

I rest my case ... :)

BanCricFan
December 29, 2007, 04:39 AM
Stats does not always tell the truth, Sohel. And you know it! Mash is the spearhead of BD and Lasith of SL. Read between the line...

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 04:48 AM
Stats does not always tell the truth, Sohel. And you know it! Mash is the spearhead of BD and Lasith of SL. Read between the line...

Right you are bro, but in this case they do IMHO, especially because they're bowlers. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I'd say Vaas still spearheads the Lankan attack and I'm not even thinking about bringing up his stats.

That said, NOBODY wants to see Mash pick up from where he left off during the India series when he would've made it into most XIs, especially India and Pakistan's as a 3rd seamer who can bat well. Sadly, all that praise possibly went to his head, and he hasn't been able to swing the ball the way he used to since. The less said about his accuracy and batting the better.

At the end of the day, I'm not really worried about his ability to bounce back and become better than he has ever been. It's in his character to do so and I'm sure Coach Siddons will help too.

RazabQ
December 29, 2007, 04:53 AM
Mashrafee is really a 3rd seamer miscast into a leading role. If we had two genuine strike bowlers, than Masree with his accuracy and hustle would have been the perfect guy to bring in 1st change. The guy does not have any 5-fers. Genuine strike bowlers will every once in a while have a spell where well nigh every ball is unplayable and wickets come in bunches. I've watched this guy bowl live and on tv for 5-6 years and I've never seen him have that kinda spell.

My other observations:
He is a sharp guy, at least he comes across as such his interviews. Yet he shows a remarkable lack of thinking when bowling.

Someone has mentioned he is temperamental. I agree though I'd allay part of that to his superstitious beliefs.

He chokes. Known fact. Started crying when about to bowl to Zim on THAT test match (1st Test win). Dropped Punters when we still had a shot. Messes up bad when the batsmen come after him.

Finally, he's lost his agression/confidence. Might be a temporary thing. I wouldn't be crass enough to attribute this to marriage. That to me tells me either you aren't happily married or are NOT married :)

Tigers_eye
December 29, 2007, 07:31 AM
Thank you everyone for your honest opinions. This thread was not in a purpose for bashing because Mash is our only pacer who can turn it on. The only good thing came out from this thread is:

1) We need a bowling coach like yesterday to have a test winning bowler and some education sessions on previous greats and their work ethics and how they operated in the field. (read Razab's post)

2) Players diet need to be checked during the offseason. No more "maa'r shonar cheley kissu khaitey parey na."

3) Players can't play all year long. Otherwise they will not last long specially fast bowlers. They need breaks. But it is up to the players to keep fit in the break and re-oil their body.

Tigers_eye
December 29, 2007, 07:33 AM
It is not easy for me to talk about one of my favorite players when he's going through a bad to mediocre patch like this, but I really feel he can only get better if he manages to stay fit. ....

Excellent and accurate observation. Thank you Sohel bhai.

lamisa
December 29, 2007, 07:37 AM
shala biye korse keno????biye korei toh borbad hoilo,onno cricketerder dekhe shikte pare na kisu????:-P

btw,is it tru dat he has a child?

BD-BLAST
December 29, 2007, 09:50 AM
Mash is one of the greats for Bangladesh cricket. We have alot of crucial games won due to his contributions. But since the worldcup his international matches havent gone his way. \his body language is even wrong. \in the worldcup in the carribean he has even developed a weird thing of scratching his ear after he was hit for a 4 or 6 which makes him look wierd.
But i hope he regains his spirit and imrpoves his bowling figures otherwise he will be among that list of players like Rafique, Pilot and Bashar who have passed thier peak and towards a decline.

BD-BLAST
December 29, 2007, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=RazabQ;591240]

My other observations:
He is a sharp guy, at least he comes across as such his interviews. Yet he shows a remarkable lack of thinking when bowling.

I agree. he was warning the batsmen of the pitch and how bowler friendly it is. and look at the guy. i mean what a bad way to start in the 2nd odi and what a patheically gruesome way to finish.

for our teams sake i hope he changes his act soon and not act like a had been

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 10:05 AM

Mashrafe has huge potential, when in full form we know how dangerous he is(4-38 vs. India) but the sad thing is like the rest of BD he lacks consistency at the moment he wouldnt make it in any of the top teams and sadly all these bowlers included in your list are playing better than him currently, I think fast bowlers perform best after breaks but with the SL tour, World T20, NCL and NZ tour he has hardly been out of cricket but there is a reasonable period of break coming up after the NZ tour so lets hope he regains his form b4 RSA come and becomes of the best fast bowlers in the world.

israr
December 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

zainab
December 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
Mash needs a break from international cricket, also he should work with a bowling coach, maybe in 6 months, there can be a turnaround. Maharoof of Sl has been in and out of the team,but lately has been doing very well

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 06:56 PM
Mash needs a break from international cricket, also he should work with a bowling coach, maybe in 6 months, there can be a turnaround. Maharoof of Sl has been in and out of the team,but lately has been doing very well
Thats exactly what he needs...I think Mash has more potential then Maharoof though.

Parisa
December 29, 2007, 06:58 PM
mashrafe is incomparable.....aint no other man can beat him lol....lookwise, heightwise, talentwise, personalitywise....lol

Yameen
December 29, 2007, 07:26 PM
He didnt seem to put any effort in, in the 1st one dayer but in the 2nd one, id say he was unlucky, he had a decision go against him, he bowled a tighter line than shahadat on a pitch which offered nothing to the bowlers and was bowling consistanlty in the high 130's. The only downside was his lack of variation at the death as he leaked runs at that stage as usual.

al Furqaan
December 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
C. Powell, Edwards, Taylor, Fernando and Lawson- No, Fernando is pacier and generates a lot more bounce and movement, more aggressive too. SL seamers in the pipeline are better than him also. Powell and Taylor average 140+, Edwards 143+ and Lawson, not in the team 145-150+. All can swing the ball more consistently and bowl better yorkers than Mash.
D. Maharoof, Bravo and Sammy - No, Farveez is a bit quicker and more accurate than Mash, swings the better also. Bravo and Sammy are more accurate.
G. Shahadat- Rajib has been going for accuracy of late, compromising some of the pace he's capable of generating. Swing-wise, even this less than 100% Mash is still ahead of him. The sooner Rajib modifies his bowling action to use his height better, the sooner we can start better comparisons between Mash and him.i beg to disagree:

a) martin is certainly faster, but mills has been slower than mash this series. and martin hasn't gotten a wicket yet this series. hard to see how they are better than mash.
b) pollock is a legend. his name shouldn't even be mentioned here. tho he is the type of bowler mash should aspire to be, not courtney walsh. malinga and styn are right now at least a class above mash.
c) powell, edwards, taylor, fernando and lawson. all are faster. but none are better than mash. except maybe edwards.
d) mahroof, is not more economical than mash. mash is perhaps the most economical opening spell bowler in ODIs.
e) asif is a class above mash, tho slower. gul i would say is equal to mash and prolly a bit quicker.
f) shahadat i think has a higher ceiling than mash does. i expect mash to become a pollock type bowler and rajib to be a walsh type.
g) saj mahmood is nowhere near mash's calibre tho he is certainly much quicker.

we have to remember that the current mash is out of form. but a mash on song is just as good if not better than 80% of fast bowlers in the international circuit (not counting aussie quicks and the elites like pollock, asif, ntini).

he might not have any 5-fers...but try putting murali or pigeon into the attack when the opposition require a score of 180 to attain a first innings lead. they wouldn't have too many 5-ers either.

in one day cricket u can get wickets without pressure, sometimes, not always. but in Tests you cannot get wickets without pressure. pressure is created when batsman put up a sizeable total and your captain's field settings support you.

zahid
December 29, 2007, 07:55 PM
Mashrafe = New Shanto verry soon

sadi
December 29, 2007, 11:04 PM
Don't really want to bash Mash but I will give my opinion. For me, it looks like he has lost interest in cricket. When he bowls, he doesn't bowl with purpose or the aggresion he used to show before. It seems like he bowls because he has to just like one does his everyday work. He needs to be told how it should be done. Someone has to push him or kick his a** every once in a while. Keep him awake.

Aaron
December 31, 2007, 08:45 PM

Bhai Jan mone hoy India'r supporter. India kono din-e fast bowler produce korte parlo na,,, dukher kotha!!:saint:

Murad
January 1, 2008, 01:13 AM
Bhai Jan mone hoy India'r supporter. India kono din-e fast bowler produce korte parlo na,,, dukher kotha!!:saint:

na re bhai.. India re support korbo ami?? apni mone hoi Indian match thread gulo follow korenna...

But the thing about Zaheer is very true. He bowls faster than him. Mostly 83-85mph e bowl kore shei.. plus he can swing the ball. Mash to tao pare na.. Mash er main problem is his line n lenght. naile mash onek success paito.. Mash bowls mostly in 78-83 in Test matches. Very few times he reach 87/88 mph in ODI.

India fast bowler produce korte pareni bujhlam but BD parse?? We dont' have any fast bowlers. Mash & Shahadat are medium fast bowlers. India ekhon onek gulo fast bowler paise. RP Sing, Sreeshanth can bowl 85 mph consistently. especially Sreeshanth. And they are aggressive.