PDA

View Full Version : Coach Siddons' Post-match Comments

Sohel
December 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
"We had a plan in mind and we were going along according to that plan but we lost three wickets for five runs and the plan changed. The batsmen really did not get going after that and we probably lost our biggest strokemakers. So it didn't give us any chance to go after 335 which was virtually impossible from the start," said Jamie Siddons in reply to a question whether he thought the target was attainable.

"We don't pretend that we are going to compete against teams like New Zealand on a regular basis at this point of time. We are building. A lot of young players are getting good practice over here. We've lost two now and hopefully we'll play better in the last one and win," he added.

On the bowling effort, the Australian coach said: "If the ball is not swinging or spinning, which it really didn't today apart from the early overs where I think we bowled really well today, then it is a problem. The pace is also not there. The first two bowlers are bowling around 132-133kmph and not 140kmph,"

"It's really hard to contain when you can't bounce and there were not too many get out balls. They were giving us two bouncers last two balls every over and they were dot balls. So it makes it difficult for us to execute perfect yorkers and so we bowled a lot of slower balls which were disappearing as well and 100 off the last ten made it look really bad for us."

"We have two good openers who are doing the job for me everyday. Ashraful has moved up to number three which is a great positive for us if he can hold his spot up there," he said about the positives from the two matches.

"Our opening bowler Rajib (Shahadat Hossain) is turning up to play everyday and doing a great job for us. Razzak had a bad day today but he's normally much more economical than that. Aftab has got a fifty. The 201 the other day was our best score against New Zealand and we would have got past that easily today and that's another positive," he added.

In response to a question whether the experienced players making the same mistakes, the Australian said: "They are probably trying to set up a mark and take the game to the opposition. As long as they are playing the shots they think they can play or they know they can play quite well and not ones they can't play so well, I'm happy. At the moment we are not playing really bad shots but still getting out."

DS LINK (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=16879)

Definitely a straight shooter. The truth may hurt a little, but that's exactly where real improvement starts. He sees the value of more pace and bounce, obviously, and sees that a good way to try and contain the opposition.

He also seems to like our best batsman FINALLY coming in at #3 and would like to see him make that slot his own. Ash sees the quicker ball early and is technically better that all other Bangladeshi batsmen. Add those facts to his talismanic performances of the past, and only 3 can be the magic number for him. He needs to bat as long as possible because when he does, we tend to do well and give ourselves the best chance to win. In ODIs, he's our best and safest bet to take advantage of powerplays, AND he can consolidate when necessary while rotating the strike. So let's have our best batsman give himself the opportunity to bat for as long as possible.

Bangladesh at this point: NO ASH = NO HOPE.

Mahir
December 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
Good stuff from The Coach :up:
...sensing a refreshingly different dimension there from the man at helm than his predecessor.

Beamer
December 29, 2007, 12:09 AM
Pretty straight forward stuff. Isn't it? No mention of Mash, our premier bowler, is interesting to me. He has obviously noticed what we have over the last few days. I am very much in agreement with the lack of bounce generated by our pacers. Bounce doesn't mean hurling down short pitch deliveries, or as they call it 'bouncers'. Its the lack of bounce from a short of length ball that concerns me about our faster bowlers. For example, Mills last night got rid of Z and Tamim that bounced more than they anticipated. Good batsmen only have to worry about swing from a good length ball, which, they counter by standing well outside the crease to smother any chance of swing. I admit its not an easy thing to do, but, if you want to be a wkt taking bowler in intl level, you better get bounce from good length balls. Either you have to bend your back really well or get stronger !

Beamer
December 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
I have a feeling that all three of Tamim, SN and Zunaid will play in tests. We discussed in another thread the possibility of Zunaid dropping down to test no.3. He looks to have all the attributes. I am not counting his last two dismissals.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 12:12 AM
Pretty straight forward stuff. Isn't it? No mention of Mash, our premier bowler, is interesting to me. He has obviously noticed what we have over the last few days. I am very much in agreement with the lack of bounce generated by our pacers. Bounce doesn't mean hurling down short pitch deliveries, or as they call it 'bouncers'. Its the lack of bounce from a short of length ball that concerns me about our faster bowlers. For example, Mills last night got rid of Z and Tamim that bounced more than they anticipated. Good batsmen only have to worry about swing from a good length ball, which, they counter by standing well outside the crease to smother any chance of swing. I admit its not an easy thing to do, but, if you want to be a wkt taking bowler in intl level, you better get bounce from good length balls. Either you have to bend your back really well or get stronger !

I noticed that too. I also noticed him appreciating Rajib "turning up to play" eveyday.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 12:21 AM
I have a feeling that all three of Tamim, SN and Zunaid will play in tests. We discussed in another thread the possibility of Zunaid dropping down to test no.3. He looks to have all the attributes. I am not counting his last two dismissals.

I think Shahriar Nafees could use more match practice at the NCL alongside his sorta namesake Iqbal for his own sake. But then again, our test opening options are painfully limited at this point and I'd rather have him or Iqbal in the middle than bring in newbies like Imrul Kayes or Ghazi Salahuddin before they're really ready, not just ready by our desparate standards. Everyone and his momma knows how I feel about Golla.

Big Z has been a bit disappointing for me also. After looking all calm and sensible in the middle, my boy has been skying himself back to the dressing room. The sudden desire to loft one past the ring with WAY too much bottom hand needs to stop. I think it will because 1) he's a great kid who wants to do what it takes to apply himself in the middle and make everyone see what Coach Siddons and others have already seen in him in the process, and 2) he has Coach Siddons working with him.

I'm waiting for the day when the Coach gets to know more of our players better and becomes active in the selection process as he said.

One World
December 29, 2007, 12:29 AM
[বাংলা]চাচাছোলা[/বাংলা] and [বাংলা]ঠোটকাটা[/বাংলা]

kalpurush
December 29, 2007, 01:08 AM
[বাংলা]চাচাছোলা[/বাংলা] and [বাংলা]ঠোটকাটা[/বাংলা]
[বাংলা]এবং চালু মাল!!!:)[/বাংলা]

al Furqaan
December 29, 2007, 01:18 AM
the fact that we would have scored 201, and 220ish our 2 highest scores against NZ, that too at the beggining of the tour in tough foreign conditions, indicates that we have made vast improvements.

its just that we have not improved enough. but that will happen. trust me.

at least our batting has given us something to cheer in both games, which rarely ever happens even once, let alone twice in a row.

wiseshah
December 29, 2007, 01:19 AM
i believe its a typical comments. we are enexperienced and try to play good cricket. we have been inexperiend for last 10 years and will be inexperienced next 100 years. isn't dave used to say the same thing too. still no progress. but JS some analysis about players, i enjoyed (eg. ashraful, shahadat, two openers, atab, razzaq)

Dhakablues
December 29, 2007, 01:51 AM
Well honestly he didnt really say anything brilliant or something we didnt know already. I am rather pleased that he plans to change things for Ashraful and did the right thing to bring him and Tusher up slots earlier.. Certainly, he saw things as a neutral professional,, and saw the obvious flaws in our quality of players

Electrequiem
December 29, 2007, 01:54 AM
truthiness.

But I only have ONE complain ... Siddons oder ke pitai na keno?

kalpurush
December 29, 2007, 02:00 AM
the fact that we would have scored 201, and 220ish our 2 highest scores against NZ, that too at the beggining of the tour in tough foreign conditions, indicates that we have made vast improvements.

at least our batting has given us something to cheer in both games, which rarely ever happens even once, let alone twice in a row.
I do.:)

cricket_king
December 29, 2007, 03:15 AM

How exactly has our batting given us anything to cheer about? We can cheer about individual performances, such as Tamim's improvement in controlling temperament, or Ashraful's blitz in the first match, but is there anything else at all to cheer about? Our middle order is terribly fragile, and we lose more wickets than runs in some periods. Our batting should have been much, much better.

WarWolf
December 29, 2007, 04:13 AM
truthiness.

Pitai na ke bollo? Hoito dressing room er dorja lagai tarpor pitai. Next game theke dressing room er dorjate khela shesher por kan patte hobe.

mahbubH
December 29, 2007, 04:37 AM
I like this guy as our coach. Hope he will stay here for a long time.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 04:53 AM
I like this guy as our coach. Hope he will stay here for a long time.

Indeed, after years of idiocy (Kamal), diplomatic macromanagement (Dav, GOD bless him), and opportunistic new-age positivism (SW), it's great to have some basic, wholesome khichurhi and ilish-bhaja on a rainy day ... :)

Rabz
December 29, 2007, 06:00 AM
Coach's post-match comments means nothing if the boys cant perform in the field.

He will go on with the ususal ranting and this-and-that, we've heard it all before.

Dont get me wrong, im not criticising JS.

Im merely saying that this eating-humble-pie is going on for a while and needs to stop.

A batsman of Aftab's calibre making a half century is not something the coach wants to highlight about. Its sad that he has to do that to defend his boys.

Also nothing to boast about scoring 201. Just because our previous scores were unspeakable, it doesnt make scoring 201 right, esp from a position of 135/2 in 25 overs.

I guess JS is just trying to be positive and keep the morale high for the team.
But his job is not to baby sit a bunch of kids. This kids should know how to come of age and act like man.

cricket_king
December 29, 2007, 06:47 AM
Indeed, after years of idiocy (Kamal), diplomatic macromanagement (Dav, GOD bless him), and opportunistic new-age positivism (SW), it's great to have some basic, wholesome khichurhi and ilish-bhaja on a rainy day ... :)

Ew....Ilish-bhaja with khichuri? Yuck! I despise ilish. Worst tasting fish on earth. :sick:

lamisa
December 29, 2007, 07:17 AM
truthiness.

ora 11ta r siddons 1ta,keep dat in mind!:smug:

zainab
December 29, 2007, 08:10 AM
JS is very practical and does not believe in fairy tales. He has objectively lookesd at the way the team stands now, he cannot criticize openly, not good for the morale of the team. His time with these rough diamonds has been short so far. he cannot work the miracles that everyone is hoping for, give him at least 1 year. He is smart, remember, he has been the asst coach for the Aussie Nat team, he has lots of good ideas which he will impliment slowly. I think that he will pick 21 core players and work diligently with them.

Imtiazk
December 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
truthiness.

Let us analyse this statement in greater detail:

1. Suspend the Human Rights Charter for a short period.

2. Go to Chittagong Hill Tracts and select from a bamboo plant a good , strong, kochi baash.

3. Make a beth out of it using pure shorsher tel.

4. Gonopitani.

Shobha
December 29, 2007, 12:33 PM

Bad Bad idea if they do so, tamim n zunaid are still far from being 'ready' to play tests.

Imtiazk
December 30, 2007, 03:34 AM
This appears to have got plenty of coverage in NZ. Mind you, 3m people, 57m sheep......

al-Sagar
December 30, 2007, 06:34 AM
well this is the series for SIDDONS to asses the squad.

i hope in the SA series will start to see the improvements of SIDDONS in the teams playing.

pocha
January 1, 2008, 02:41 AM

i hope in the SA series will start to see the improvements of SIDDONS in the teams playing.

Yes I hope Siddons must have made lots of asses out of the squad by now, so we are only left with donkeys huh!

Sohel
January 1, 2008, 06:59 AM
After the disaster: -

Coach Jamie Siddons felt the performance on Monday was inexplicable.

“It's very hard to describe that performance and why that happened so badly but it happened. I'm not sure where it came from but we are embarrassed by it and it's a big, big loss and I don't think I have ever been associated with one so bad,” Siddons said. The coach nevertheless thought that this disappointment was part of a growing process.

“When I took the job I knew that we were not competitive with the top four-five sides in the world on a regular basis. These are young boys who will have good days and bad days and as a young player I know what kind of mistakes they can make. We just need to continue working harder.”

Siddons said New Zealand's ploy of playing on the patience of the Bangladeshi batsmen worked out perfectly.

“I don't think they wanted to bowl us out. They were more consistent and put the ball in the right areas to make scoring very difficult for us and then the batsmen made mistakes under pressure.”

With the arrival of experienced Habibul Bashar, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed and Enamul Haque Jr. for the Test series Siddons believed the Tigers can come back with dignity if they can become a bit more predictable.

“We are capable of anything. We can respond really well or we can capitulate. The consistency is what we are seeking. The three players have joined us and had their nets. Among them Bashar is a proven player of the short ball and is almost certain to come at three.

“We were badly exposed and that is good for me also because that means we have a lot more work to do and it gives me a lot more ammunition to remind the players that they can't stop working hard.”

DS LINK (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=17339)

I'm glad he'll have the opportunity to see HaBa in action ... :)

BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! How was the partay???

Pundit
January 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
This appears to have got plenty of coverage in NZ. Mind you, 3m people, 57m sheep......

Your team got beat by sheeps? What does that make you - chagol or goru?

MarvinDaMartian
January 4, 2008, 04:44 AM
Off the record by Mr Siddons "I shave my head - I do not have any hair to pull out".

zainab
January 4, 2008, 03:40 PM
What else can poor Siddons say? He has taken on this great challenge. He has to defend his boys a bit, but he knows that they are young and inexperinced. They are just at the creeping stage, will take a while for them to stand and walk tall.
He does not believe in miracles. What he sees is what he gets.
I am sure that the SA tour will be much better, because he has 1 month to work with this team, remember, he only had about 7 days for preparation for N.Z. Big difference in time.

zia
January 4, 2008, 04:16 PM

What ever did not happen in 7 years you want that in couple of months? I am not that hopeful.

zainab
January 4, 2008, 04:36 PM
Have faith in Coach Siddons. SA tour will be better. Look at the Windians. They spent 1 month with their trainer and new coach and what an improvement!they beat SA in the first test, might go for a draw in the second test. these are the same players that Ash's team beat, but they have acquired better discipline and mentally, they are 50 per cent better and because of this this they are playing good and smart cricket. this is what the BD team has to do. Coach Siddons has a full month with them before SA arrives, so there is lots of hope.

Sohel
January 4, 2008, 04:41 PM
Coach's comments after day 1. Personally, I like his meat-and-potatoes style and professional expectations. I have every confidence in him and I believe we'll see the results in the middle before this year's over Inshallah ... :)

Coach Jamie Siddons felt the effort could have been so much better.

“There was nothing unusual in that wicket. We looked comfortable and then got out. I am also not at all pleased with the bowling. We weren't consistent enough and the bowlers gave away a four almost every over. We had built up pressure over three overs and Mortaza got a wicket. We had bowled in good areas in patches and that's why they are four down but it could have been a lot better for us,” said Siddons.

DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=17857)

Sohel
January 6, 2008, 05:54 PM
The Coach's comments after the first test. More basic, wholesome stuff after years of nouvelle cuisine ... :)

Cricket
Siddons urges patience
Sports Reporter

Reflecting on Bangladesh's nine-wicket loss to New Zealand, coach Jamie Siddons pointed out the lack of patience in his middle-order batsmen.

A remarkable turnaround was expected on the third day after a brilliant comeback on the previous evening via new Test openers Tamim Iqbal and Zunaed Siddiqui, who shared a 148-run unbeaten stand. But after they were dismissed early yesterday, the Tigers' middle-order collapsed and were bowled out for 254 runs.

“Our middle-order needs to understand that Test cricket is all about patience. They can't hit the ball in the air too often and there are tough periods,” Siddons was quoted as saying in TigerCricket.Com (http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=490) website during the post-match press briefing at the University Oval in Dunedin.

“We survive six overs without scoring but we are not happy to (do so) for the seventh. We have to get through the tough periods. There's going to be a lot of tough periods,” he added when asked about the trouble with the middle-order.

Siddons, in his first assignment with the Tigers, emphasised that batting inconsistency is still their biggest problem.

“I have not been with these guys long enough and I have been told that inconsistency is in their cricket and they play too many shots when it is not necessary in Tests and ODIs. Ashraful looks the best player out there but he is getting out and not scoring the runs he is used to getting,” said Siddons.

He was annoyed with the early finish and said: “They have got to find it within themselves. There were two days left in this Test and they didn't need to go hard and just needed to wear them down.”

But Siddons had praise for his openers Tamim and Zunaed, both of whom were playing their first Test match. Tamim struck two half-centuries and Zunaed, who missed out in the first innings, eased to 74 before falling to Chris Martin.

“Tamim has been consistent all the way through this tour with his strokes. The New Zealand bowlers worked him out a little bit in the first innings but he was better in the second. I think he has definitely got a future,” said Siddons.

While of Zunaed he said, “He is a really solid person and a solid player and he'll get better and better. He has got one area he needs to work on and he has addressed it pretty well in the second innings. It is very encouraging that a couple of openers come out of the blue and do that sort of a job. I think we can put those two aside now and worry about the next four,” said the Australian coach.

After Daniel Vettori called the boundaries on one side of the ground as a 'farce', Siddons said, “The balls got to the boundary pretty quick when both teams were batting. A couple of top edges and cuts went flying over the boundary. I won't go as far as calling it a farce but I think they need to look at that far side and need to improve on that corner pocket.”

DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=18130)

Great TC, interview also, thanks Murad for directing us to it ... :)

Sohel
January 13, 2008, 01:36 AM
After D1T2 ...

“There were fewer rash shots but we still lost the wickets. The batsmen are trying hard to follow the team rule and are leaving balls nicely but not enough of that is happening,” said coach Jamie Siddons.

“The bowlers, especially Mortaza and Shahadat I think showed that they have learned some things from the first Test.

They were bowling in good areas more consistently and were building up pressure. That is what we will try to continue tomorrow,” Siddons added.

The coach also said that he thought Ashraful was due for a big score.

“He would be the first to say that he is not scoring as many as he would've liked. However, he is doing the right things in training and out there in the middle also but that is not reflected in his scores at the moment. I think he will start making good scores consistently in near future if he continues to work like this.”

READ MORE FROM DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=18969)

BD-Shardul
January 13, 2008, 01:45 AM
From now on, Siddons will have to come to the post match conference wearing a veil. Seriously

Sohel
January 13, 2008, 01:47 AM
From now on, Siddons will have to come to the post match conference wearing a veil. Seriously

A paper bag with a couple of holes will work just as well.

tonoy
January 13, 2008, 01:53 AM
ahare bechari siddons. ekon koto je postachche je kano ei job ta nite holo. Australiaer vice coach theke koto shanti te thakte hoto oke.

BD-Shardul
January 13, 2008, 03:19 AM
ahare bechari siddons. ekon koto je postachche je kano ei job ta nite holo. Australiaer vice coach theke koto shanti te thakte hoto oke.

Ekta kotha ache na, Shukhe thakle bhute kilay. Siddons er ei rog hoise. Ekhon bhujtese moja-koto dhane koto chal.

taklima_naj
January 13, 2008, 05:42 AM
Oh, siddion,I have feeling for u. we r sorry, we have such a ghada players.