PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation and similarities in recent wins for Bangladesh.

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
I was wondering if there was any similarities between the matches Bangladesh have recently won, not the wins against Scotland, Kenya or Zimbabwe but the ones against India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia and even the T20 wins over WI and NZ XI so I went over to Cricinfo and analysed the scorecards. Since gaining test status we have beaten a country ranked above us(like NZ) 5 times, first victory against India in 2004, in that match we won the toss and batted first we didnt get off to a good start but ended up 229, but in bowling we took 2 wickets for five runs and eventually won the match. Match against Australia, lost the toss went it to bowl, like the match against India we took two early wickets for only 9 runs and contained the Aussies to 249, in batting got off to a rocky start but Ashraful steadied the batting to reach 250. In the win against SL, won the toss went to bowl and took a wicket for 5 runs and restricted them to 212, while batting again we lost an early wicket but still went on to win the match. The WC win over India, lost toss and bowled first, took two wickets for 21 runs and restricted them to 191 and again in batting lost our first wicket for 24 runs but won the match, the WC win against RSA again lost toss and batted first lost JO at 42 but went on to score 251 and in bowling picked up our first wicket for 18 runs. the T20 win over WI we took our first wicket for 0 runs. So in conclusion, in all our recent wins against better teams while bowling we have taken at least one wicket before our opposition has scored 20 runs, now u might think all this is crap but to me it makes sense maybe the players recieve a huge confidence boost by picking up an early wicket I donno but theres clearly a link so I think if we want to win tomorrow, regardless if we win or lose the toss and bat or bowl first the key is with Mashrafe and Shahadat, they must pick up an early wicket or early wickets.

Mohiul
December 29, 2007, 09:50 AM
Good dig

Nafi
December 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
That is why early breakthroughs for us is such a requirement, and that is why our opening bowlers need to improve their game.

rubel_18
December 29, 2007, 10:27 AM
Thats a very good observation, and I kind of noticed it recently but not properly

rifathasan
December 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
hmmm...interesting

realpain20
December 29, 2007, 10:47 AM
I was wondering if there was any similarities between the matches Bangladesh have recently won, not the wins against Scotland, Kenya or Zimbabwe but the ones against India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia and even the T20 wins over WI and NZ XI so I went over to Cricinfo and analysed the scorecards. Since gaining test status we have beaten a country ranked above us(like NZ) 5 times, first victory against India in 2004, in that match we won the toss and batted first we didnt get off to a good start but ended up 229, but in bowling we took 2 wickets for five runs and eventually won the match. Match against Australia, lost the toss went it to bowl, like the match against India we took two early wickets for only 9 runs and contained the Aussies to 249, in batting got off to a rocky start but Ashraful steadied the batting to reach 250. In the win against SL, won the toss went to bowl and took a wicket for 5 runs and restricted them to 212, while batting again we lost an early wicket but still went on to win the match. The WC win over India, lost toss and bowled first, took two wickets for 21 runs and restricted them to 191 and again in batting lost our first wicket for 24 runs but won the match, the WC win against RSA again lost toss and batted first lost JO at 42 but went on to score 251 and in bowling picked up our first wicket for 18 runs. the T20 win over WI we took our first wicket for 0 runs. So in conclusion, in all our recent wins against better teams while bowling we have taken at least one wicket before our opposition has scored 20 runs, now u might think all this is crap but to me it makes sense maybe the players recieve a huge confidence boost by picking up an early wicket I donno but theres clearly a link so I think if we want to win tomorrow, regardless if we win or lose the toss and bat or bowl first the key is with Mashrafe and Shahadat, they must pick up an early wicket or early wickets.
good one bdchamp bhai..it is certainly interesting and stretches the point that our opening bowlers must learn how to strike early and I think for the 3rd ODI both Mashrafe and Rajib should be rested for the tests and Sajidul and Nazmul should be brought in otherwise it wont be fair to the youngsters and there morale and confidence will hit rock bottom.

Imtiazk
December 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
I think if we want to win tomorrow, regardless if we win or lose the toss and bat or bowl first the key is with Mashrafe and Shahadat, they must pick up an early wicket or early wickets.

You almost got it.

Mashrafe and Sajid [ Rasel ] opens the attack . Then Shahadat. I only say Mashrafe, as he is "reputedly" a better swing bowler.

Siddons praise of Shahadat for "turning up for the game" was a bullseye meant directly at Mashrafe for not "turning up for the game".

If Rasel was here I would have dropped Mashrafe for a game or two.

sxclaviva
December 29, 2007, 10:56 AM
You almost got it.

Mashrafe and Sajid [ Rasel ] opens the attack . Then Shahadat. I only say Mashrafe, as he is "reputedly" a better swing bowler.

Siddons praise of Shahadat for "turning up for the game" was a bullseye meant directly at Mashrafe for not "turning up for the game".

Yup..Mash needs to be dropped or 'rested' for his own good he has lost his rythm, go to youtube and look at the delivery that got Sehwag out in the World Cup and look at the deliveries he is bowling now..he looks tired but coz we r missing Rasel we hav to pick Mashrafe to lead our bowling attack...lol after the NZ tour the BCB should arrange for Mashrafe and his wife to go to Switzerland or Hawaii.

Sohel
December 29, 2007, 10:59 AM
Early Wickets + Good Fielding + Ash Being His Best = Victory ... :)

lamisa
December 29, 2007, 11:07 AM
Yup..Mash needs to be dropped or 'rested' for his own good he has lost his rythm, go to youtube and look at the delivery that got Sehwag out in the World Cup and look at the deliveries he is bowling now..he looks tired but coz we r missing Rasel we hav to pick Mashrafe to lead our bowling attack...lol after the NZ tour the BCB should arrange for Mashrafe and his wife to go to Switzerland or Hawaii.

lol!!!!!yea,ut i thnk dat stardom nd arrogance iz da cause.i feel as tho mash is feelin laid back coz apparntly hez almost da bst bowlr of bd nd he knowz it 2.:ticking:

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 11:09 AM
You almost got it.

The Mashrafe-Rasel combo worked because they were both different bowlers..Mashrafe depends on pace and variation while Rasel depends on line,length and swing plus Mashrafe is right-handed and Rasel is left. So the batsmen needed to adjust every over and that meant chances for wickets but now Mashrafe and Shahadat are 'hoobahu' same, similar height, similar bowling depending on pace only and both are right-handed, the batsmen dont need to adjust at all they just continue from the last over. If Mashrafe and Shahadat want to open bowling they must learn the tricks the new ball offers and use it for their and the team's advantage.

rifathasan
December 29, 2007, 11:37 AM
The Mashrafe-Rasel combo worked because they were both different bowlers..Mashrafe depends on pace and variation while Rasel depends on line,length and swing plus Mashrafe is right-handed and Rasel is left. So the batsmen needed to adjust every over and that meant chances for wickets but now Mashrafe and Shahadat are 'hoobahu' same, similar height, similar bowling depending on pace only and both are right-handed, the batsmen dont need to adjust at all they just continue from the last over. If Mashrafe and Shahadat want to open bowling they must learn the tricks the new ball offers and use it for their and the team's advantage.

[ModAction: edit - read forum rules]

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 11:39 AM
edited
Rifat Hasan, I can see its only your second post but could u not use that sort of language please, now I would appreciate if u edit it or I'll have to refer u to a moderator and please have some respect for women.

zia
December 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
Before NZ tour Mash was bowling real good in NCL. What happened? He looks to be in better shape than before physically!

Nafis_BD
December 29, 2007, 01:59 PM

Ditto!!! Btw great dig bdchamps20 bhaiya!!

view360
December 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
The opening bowlers are consistantly failing to give breakhrough in the first 5 overs. All the big wins in Tiger history came from those early breakthrough. We know the capablities of those big teams. They have history chasing up to 400 run and wining. Therefore, we can not afford to have laid back bowlers regardless their name value .

Murad
December 29, 2007, 03:25 PM
wow so many people are getting banned recently..

israr
December 29, 2007, 04:25 PM

I guess that perfectly sums it up for everyone:)!

KnightBD
December 29, 2007, 05:41 PM
...snip.. So in conclusion, in all our recent wins against better teams while bowling we have taken at least one wicket before our opposition has scored 20 runs, ...snip...
Interesting... But would be more interesting if you find statistically, % of games we lost even if we got an earyly wicket ;)

KnightBD
December 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
Very good analysis ! In that case, we can try Sajid to open with either Mash or Shahadat. We can even play 4 pacers in NZ as Raz is not very effective. (specially in Test matches)

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 06:31 PM
Interesting... But would be more interesting if you find statistically, % of games we lost even if we got an earyly wicket ;)
I will work on it..lol!

bdchamp20
December 29, 2007, 06:57 PM
Very good analysis ! In that case, we can try Sajid to open with either Mash or Shahadat. We can even play 4 pacers in NZ as Raz is not very effective. (specially in Test matches)
Thank you

Yameen
December 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
good research, the message is clear, wickets must be taken early on and also a decent opening stand from the batsmen..

Antora
December 29, 2007, 08:27 PM
wow BDchamp20 bhaiya. That was very interesting.

scoilaheez
December 30, 2007, 02:09 AM
It is very simple why we need to take early wickets, our spinners are our major weapon in the shortened versions of the game. Middle order batsmen cannot afford to throw away their wickets if an early eicket has been lost, so our spinners can constrain the opposition.

cricket_king
December 30, 2007, 08:48 AM
That's why Rasel was so vital. He was very good at taking early wickets.

bdchamp20
December 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
That's why Rasel was so vital. He was very good at taking early wickets.
precisely