PDA

View Full Version : Query from a Newbie

Cricketislife!
October 21, 2003, 06:09 AM
Hi all

I am from India, have followed Bangladesh cricket rather sporadically, not too closely till the series against Pakistan.

It was great watching Basher aka Sumon play the way he did, not commitin himself either way in his feet movement, attacking
( ( I had written a bit on that in a cricket newsgroup I frequent
http://snurl.com/2qq5 ) Read that n just click 'complete thread' icon for more discussion)

also was impressed with the gritty n brave Rajin Saleh. His duel with Shoaib Akhtar was wonderful. Akhtar charging in and bowling bouncers, yorkers, short of length and everything and our man was hit by a few, hit a few and came across as a brave n solid batsman. http://tinyurl.com/lffz )

Javed Omar looked pretty decent when the ball didnt bounce too much, n I have always liked Ashraful, though he seems out of selectorial loop right now.

Also did like Mortaza though felt that he kept bowling rather too short too much.

Anyway would like to know how the players generally ranked by you all who have followed the national team more closely. Who are the players to watch.

Another important query is
does the video link at Homeviewbangladesh show live feed.
I am not able to access it right now but would like to try it out tomorrow

http://www.homeviewbangladesh.com/live/btv.php3?1066730519

Thanx
CiL
Arrggh, As I write this I notice that Basher has also got out.

Sham
October 21, 2003, 06:23 AM
Glad that you are taking an interest in BD cricket.

You have got it mostly right as far as the players are concerned. Bashar is the most prolific scorer. He doesn't have much of a technique, but he somehow manages to score a lot, especially if he gets through the early overs. He major weakness is that he plays too many shots early in his innings when he is not set. He should know better, being a senior member of the side, but as he demonstrated today, he isn't gonna change the way he plays.

Rajin was of course the find of the Pak tour. He has a good technique, tries to play straight and has a great deal of patience. He is definitely one to watch out for. He strikes me as the guy who won't set the world on fire, but will always contribute to the team effort, whether it is with the bat or in the field.

You hit the nail on the head with Javed. He is uncomfortable against really quick bowlers (Lee, Shoaib, Harmison) and vulnerable to the short stuff. He has good temperament, which is usually lacking in BD openers. But I don't know how long we can continue with Javed if he doesn't start proving that he can stand up to the likes of Harmison. Especially with Nafees knocking on the doors of the Test side, I think Javed's days are numbered.

Hannan Sarkar has improved tremendously over the last year. He has worked hard on his technique and he is reaping the benefits. He has a bright future.

You missed out Kapali, who is possibly the most gifted player in the current team. He has a good technique as well and is the man for the pressure situations. He didn't do very well in Pakistan, but he is definitely the man to look out for in this BD line-up.

As for the bowlers, we are still to find a genuine strike bowler, although Mashrafe can become one with some work. Rafiq is the best bowler right now, mainly because he puts a lot of pressure on the batsmen and induces mistakes.

Hope that helps.

Cricketislife!
October 21, 2003, 06:38 AM
Thanx Sham for the reply.

Sarkar came across as a essentially back foot player iirc. Alok hatrick Kapali! did stay with Rajin Saleh and exhibited as you say good technique in that evening , before a reverse swinging Akhtar came to create havoc the next day.

Sham, any idea about that homeviewbangladesh link?

Also how good is the debutant, Left arm spinner Enamul Haque ?

I jus read that WC probe report on the main banglacricket site, and now more than impressed at how things have turned around. Whatmore and the cricket administrators have turned stuff around so admirably.

Plus are there any good pace bowlers coming up in the under 19 category who could support Mortaza and even push him to greater glories which he is capable of.

chinaman
October 21, 2003, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the board. Btw, are you from RSC?

Cricketislife!
October 21, 2003, 07:09 AM
Yep, from that rsc pit only!

fwullah
October 21, 2003, 10:15 AM
homeviewbangladesh shows live feed of BTV (Bangladesh National Television), but if you're living in India, why don't you try Star Sports channel? Its showing the match live - as is BTV. As homeviewbangladesh's server-width (not sure about the exact word for it) is very limited, so when it is crowded, and most times it is during a Bangladesh game showing on BTV i.e., homeviewbangladesh, then nobody can log on.

Not sure about Enamul Haque Junior, just read a few reports on him when-ever he was doing well for the Under 19 teams, and read about his performance in the 1st pratice match against England. Which is obviously not enough to know or predict a player's ability at the International standard.

You must know about Talha Jubair - he is the one bowler who could get better than Mashrafee, but not at the moment. There is also someone Shafaq Al Zaber - he is also like Talha - too indisciplined at the moment. Only time can tell if they are to improve in the future or not.

Cricketislife!
October 21, 2003, 10:46 AM
I am in Chennai, the only city in India where conditional acess system C A S has been enforced and hence we now have to buy a set top box and assorted jing bang to get to view the pay channels. I want to wait sometime so that things settle down and one gets clearer idea of whether its longterm n payments etc.

so any link where one can catch some audio commentary online?
u know what, worst case when there is no coverage, may be some of you guys by turns, should do the own unofficial audio commentary on some paltalk or yahoo chat or something like that! The rest of the unfortunate folks like us deprived of coverage can tune in and hear.

fwullah
October 21, 2003, 11:08 AM
If you're really interested, try the banglacricket chat.

It doesn't have audio or video, but you'll get the fastest link to the text commentry.