PDA

View Full Version : time for BC members to (mentally) consolidate

al Furqaan
December 31, 2007, 04:11 PM
Alas, Bangladesh suffered a defeat as perhaps no Test nation has before. In fact, I doubt any associate had been beaten inside 6 overs before. At any rate, I am a bit surprised in that I alone stand unwavering in my views regarding Bangladesh cricket.

This defeat does not play too significantly in my eyes and I will tell you why:

1) There was clear intend on the part of Mccullum to finish this off, the fact that the other opner scored just 7 from 8 whereas Mccullum raced to 80 is an indicator of just how rare this demolition is. Had 95 been scored in 6 with both openers scoring roughly equal runs, I would be slightly more worried. This was a one off occurence.

2) Suppose that the 2nd innings scenario were vastly different. Suppose NZ chased 95 losing 3 or 4 wickets in 25 overs. Does that mean that we batted better than we really did? Does it make our mistakes with the willow more forgiveable?

3) Bowling is not our problem, plain and simple. We might not have any amazing bowlers who blow opponents away, but that is our strength nonetheless and will remain so. NZ's run rate was 15 at the end of their innings and had we scored 150 runs, I highly doubt the RR would remain that high.

Our problems are mental, and they are quite rigidly rooted. It will be the ultimate litmus test for Jamie Siddons to see what he can do to remedy the situation in the 2 years that he has. Is it a fixable problem? I have no doubt about it. Will JS fix it, however, is the question that stands to be answered.

I do not believe that Allah has blessed us with the batting talents we have only to torture us by never having the mental fortitude to exploit those talents. I believe we are destined to be the cricket world's next big thing.

Take a look at Kenya, our nearest likeness. Kenya wowed the cricket world for a good several years. No associate was ever so successful. Three seperate times they defeated the might Indian team, they upset the Courtney Walsh led West Indies in 1996, they stormed to the semi-finals of the 2003 World Cup.

And yet, Kenyan cricket is withering away as we speak. Their under-19 team failed yet again to qualify for the U-19 World Cup where even Papua New Guniea is represented. Why is this so?

This is because cricket was not in the destiny of the Kenyans. They had great players like Tikolo, Odumbe, and Odoy and Shah. Yet, they never once displayed that aura of invincibility which is so clearly discerned, even by our harshest critics, in the batting of Ashraful or Aftab or in the selfless bowling of Shahadat.

Bangladesh cricket is destined for Greatness.

Rifat
December 31, 2007, 04:30 PM
Alas, Bangladesh suffered a defeat as perhaps no Test nation has before. In fact, I doubt any associate had been beaten inside 6 overs before. At any rate, I am a bit surprised in that I alone stand unwavering in my views regarding Bangladesh cricket.

1) There was clear intend on the part of Mccullum to finish this off, the fact that the other opner scored just 7 from 8 whereas Mccullum raced to 80 is an indicator of just how rare this demolition is. Had 95 been scored in 6 with both openers scoring roughly equal runs, I would be slightly more worried. This was a one off occurence.

2) Suppose that the 2nd innings scenario were vastly different. Suppose NZ chased 95 losing 3 or 4 wickets in 25 overs. Does that mean that we batted better than we really did? Does it make our mistakes with the willow more forgiveable?

3) Bowling is not our problem, plain and simple. We might not have any amazing bowlers who blow opponents away, but that is our strength nonetheless and will remain so. NZ's run rate was 15 at the end of their innings and had we scored 150 runs, I highly doubt the RR would remain that high.

Our problems are mental, and they are quite rigidly rooted. It will be the ultimate litmus test for Jamie Siddons to see what he can do to remedy the situation in the 2 years that he has. Is it a fixable problem? I have no doubt about it. Will JS fix it, however, is the question that stands to be answered.

I do not believe that Allah has blessed us with the batting talents we have only to torture us by never having the mental fortitude to exploit those talents. I believe we are destined to be the cricket world's next big thing.

Take a look at Kenya, our nearest likeness. Kenya wowed the cricket world for a good several years. No associate was ever so successful. Three seperate times they defeated the might Indian team, they upset the Courtney Walsh led West Indies in 1996, they stormed to the semi-finals of the 2003 World Cup.

And yet, Kenyan cricket is withering away as we speak. Their under-19 team failed yet again to qualify for the U-19 World Cup where even Papua New Guniea is represented. Why is this so?

This is because cricket was not in the destiny of the Kenyans. They had great players like Tikolo, Odumbe, and Odoy and Shah. Yet, they never once displayed that aura of invincibility which is so clearly discerned, even by our harshest critics, in the batting of Ashraful or Aftab or in the selfless bowling of Shahadat.

with that belief in my heart i visit this forum each and every day :). i believe the key to success for bangladesh in the next test(s) is playing bouncers, guys will keep throwing bouncers to us about every delivey making us uncomfortable, i think this is a serius issue and to even score 100 runs in the next innings we play, we must adjust to pace and bounce. i know it might be off topic, just didn't want to start a new thread.

Excellent thread, Asad Bhai :D

Spitfire_x86
December 31, 2007, 04:35 PM
I strongly disagree that bowling is not our problem. Our bowling has never been in this bad shape before, and it never was our strong point, only extreme brittleness of our batting made it look relatively better. We almost always mess up in the slog overs, and lose lot of matches there. What happened yesterday can be compared to yet another messed up slog over situation.

Speaking of test bowling, our only ray of hope was Rafique, many times ably assited by Mashrafee. Otherwise it was always very poor. With these two out of form, this year we saw how bad it could get in tests, especially in the Srilanka tour. An improved Shahadat is our sole hope in Tests at this moment.

israr
December 31, 2007, 04:37 PM

Love it!!:)

al Furqaan
December 31, 2007, 04:44 PM
I strongly disagree that bowling is not our problem. Our bowling has never been in this bad shape before, and it never was our strong point, only extreme brittleness of our batting made it look relatively better. We almost always mess up in the slog overs, and lose lot of matches there. What happened yesterday can be compared to yet another messed up slog over situation.

Speaking of test bowling, our only ray of hope was Rafique, many times ably assited by Mashrafee. Otherwise it was always very poor. With these two out of form, this year we saw how bad it could get in tests, especially in the Srilanka tour. An improved Shahadat is our sole hope in Tests at this moment.

well our bowlers are currently severly out of form. that happens. when was the last time it happened?

yes our bowling, is at best mediocre. but thats more than we can say about our batting. and we need to fix that problem first. then move on to bowling.

we have the necessary pieces in our batting lineup - we are just operating at 25 % of what we could be doing. bowling any weakness we have is simply because we lack that class. our bowlers operate at 90% of maximum potential.

Spitfire_x86
December 31, 2007, 04:57 PM
I also don't think our batsmen are underachieving that much, considering our lower order is really non-existent and middle order is filled with mediocrity.

Russell2k7
December 31, 2007, 05:01 PM

I disagree. It is significant to me because it proves that we are still a minnow no matter how one puts it. How's job was to rotate and give the strike to McCullum because How is not a stroke player. It's more embarrassing that only one player is needed to finish the game off in six overs loosing zero wickets. If Oram was there then it would have been less than 6 overs. Not to mention they were beaten convincingly by NZ club teams. The only way to get out of this mess is to beat NZ in both of the tests otherwise they will still remain a minnow in coming the years unless a miracle happens.

Rifat
December 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
I disagree. It is significant to me because it proves that we are still a minnow no matter how one puts it. How's job was to rotate and give the strike to McCullum because How is not a stroke player. It's more embarrassing that only one player is needed to finish the game off in six overs loosing zero wickets. If Oram was there then it would have been less than 6 overs. Not to mention they were beaten convincingly by NZ club teams. The only way to get out of this mess is to beat NZ in both of the tests otherwise they will still remain a minnow in coming the years unless a miracle happens.

is this always about a miracle? if it is: we will never ever reach the top?

al Furqaan
December 31, 2007, 06:11 PM

bad performances will be strewn amongst good ones. bangladesh beat india and south africa (and this NZ team + bond) in the world cup. the only match u can count out is the NZ match since it was a practice game. minnows do not beat 2 of the favorites to win the cup in a matter of days.

the truth is we are in between the minnow and the giant stages. sometimes we will display characteristics of both.

Pundit
December 31, 2007, 06:23 PM
All this analysis is needless.

BD simply does not wish to try and play to its best, on any given day.

They also have the wrong perception that a win is all (like most of their fans) and the surest way to it is hitting 4s.

Also, perhaps they are not that talented. This however matters hardly, as they have so much other deficiencies.

riad
December 31, 2007, 06:29 PM
Bla ... Bla... Blah...L-)

AsifTheManRahman
January 1, 2008, 03:07 AM
Losses like these don't have an impact anymore. It's become a habit by now. I didn't really feel too bad after the loss the other day.

BD-Shardul
January 1, 2008, 03:18 AM
I strongly believe that our bowling is OK. We need to remember:

Modern cricket is all about batting. If you can't bat well, you can't win, very simple. On the other hand, if you can bet well, you bowlers will complement, no matter how weak your bowling dept is.

WarWolf
January 1, 2008, 03:20 AM
Bowling is definitely a big problem right now. Mash seems to forget how to ball against quality bowlers. While this is normal to improve with age and experience, the case of Mash seems to be opposit. His quality seems to degrade day by day. Rasel is our main weapon in ODI matches in recent time. Bad luck threw him out of the tour and our early wicket taking possibilty reduced to a great extent with this. Razzak doesn't seem to know how to ball in bouncy wickets. Rafiq was the main weapon for Bangladesh for a long time who lost his excellence with age. Shahadat is improving but still will take long time to be a genuine strike bowler.

So who is the bowler who can take a few wickets every match at this moment?

lamisa
January 1, 2008, 03:33 AM

:notworthy:
excellent piece!!!!!!!really tuchd my hrt.u just spoke my mind.