PDA

View Full Version : But I am liking it!...

Ahmed_B
January 1, 2008, 07:57 AM
Yes... I am liking it!

And yes, I am talking about the brutal thrashing that NZ handed over to this picnic-kids... the so-called ‘tigers’!

Why? Well... the reason is simple!
They deserved it!

Its nothing new, to be honest. We’ve been following BD cricket for years... yet its still the same. That same old ‘picnic-cricket’ years after years. Yes, I am talking about the seriousness of these guys (kids actually). The overall mindset of the team is still pretty much immature. Hype takes over their minds too easily.

We hear each of the top-team’s captains say before every series that no matter how successful they have been in the past, every new series and every new match starts from zero again. And they have to work equally hard to gain another success in a fresh new match/series. True, that sometimes our own captain(s) say the same. But the difference is that the other captains actually know what they are talking about, whereas our captain/players tend to swim in past-glories before every series.

So many times we’ve watched the team starting a series with fantasies and holy-dreams quickly taking them in mental wonderlands and secretly removing their hype-guards and turning on their picnic mood. And then, only with a few early humiliating nose-dives, they start realizing the real depth of the ocean and the real height of the perfect storm.

So I would say, I’m quite happy with the brutal punches right on the face they have had in the ODI series, after which they hopefully can taste blood on their teeth! They deserve it every time they turn the picnic-mood on. They deserve it every time they run for a fantasy-ride! They deserve it every time they forget that it’s a whole new series and a fresh new match and they need to work their asses off again to rise up from zero!

Hopefully, this knock-down will make them look at the hard & sharp rocks they are walking on. Looking forward to a more down-to-earth Test match efforts from the bunch of dreaming-kids, since they atleast fear now of the point-blank experiences!

tonoy
January 1, 2008, 07:59 AM
spot on.

BD-Shardul
January 1, 2008, 08:05 AM
Wisely put.

Moshin
January 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
Yes i am lovin it as well, good on you.

Rifat
January 1, 2008, 08:10 AM
yep, shame is the best thing for bangladesh cricket... let's put them to shame again

YOU GUYS S*** :D

WarWolf
January 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
Ahmed bhai,
We are also liable for this thing. We love and treat them just like our own kids. That's why we, the fans, never been harsh enough for them which is needed. Onek ma jemon bokhe jawa chele der adure vabe treat kore amrao ei player der ei vabei treat kore jassi.

Pundit
January 1, 2008, 12:29 PM
Ahmed b...like you have any choice. When folks are bent over and given the ram-rod, all they can say is smile and "it will be smoother next time."

Ahmed_B
January 1, 2008, 12:43 PM
More hype than reality-check.. more dreams than plans... more 'stupid-courage' than confidence... so very typical bd-style cinematic emotions!

Experiences/exposures dilute in high liquor of day-dreams... rather than building an actual wall brick-by-brick.

The Siddons Reality-check of 2007: "Average of our best player is a plain 20!"

You start solving a problem... by admitting it first!... I guess that goes for the fans as well.

Rifat
January 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
More hype than reality-check.. more dreams than plans... more 'stupid-courage' than confidence... so very typical bd-style cinematic emotions!

Experiences/exposures dialute in high liquor of day-dreams... rather than building an actual wall brick-by-brick.

The Siddons Reality-check of 2007: "Average of our best plyer is a plain 20!"

You start solving a problem... by admitting it first!... I guess that goes for the fans as well.

yes, but when you are on the field, you do not think about your stats, you think about what you can do to contribute to your team's success... it is a failure for Bangladeshi players like Sakib-Al-Hasan, Mortaza, Mushfiqur Rahim to not capitalise on individual talent on a daily basis. oops, was that too much to ask? our recent results indicate that notion.

if expectations is too much to ask, then we should go back to whatmore era and be happy with individual daily improvement... forget about victory first.

and it never hurts to hope for the best... since we did enter an era where Bangladesh is expected to put good amount of pressure on the opposition.

Miraz
January 1, 2008, 12:52 PM
Ahmed b...like you have any choice. When folks are bent over and given the ram-rod, all they can say is smile and "it will be smoother next time."

Ouch!!! that hurts!!

You went a bit overboard.

BTW, good stuff Bashir bhai. Reality check.

Ahmed_B
January 1, 2008, 12:56 PM
and it never hurts to hope for the best...
Hope... is never the problem my dear good friend. But forgetting how hard you need to concentrate for that IS.

Expecting that success will come by itself just because we had a good WC.. now thats cardinal!

Shobha
January 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hope... is never the problem my dear good friend. But forgetting how hard you need to concentrate for that IS.

Expecting that success will come by itself just because we had a good WC.. now thats cardinal!

spot on,if you ask me i dont anyone still 'Hopes' anymore. i think we just embrace whatever comes our way than to actually hope for a result

BangladeshFan
January 1, 2008, 01:18 PM

JS is right, Bd players are an overhyped good for nothing bunch. I just wish if their foreign tours could be stopped..... they can only tour india (by road)....... trust me they will start to perform then.

AsifTheManRahman
January 1, 2008, 02:21 PM

You might have a point there. If you're right, the problem is embedded in our culture, not just in the minds of eleven young men who go out there and take the rod.

Then again, India and Pakistan seem to be doing ok.

Parisa
January 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
bangladesh players ke beth diye mere shikathe parben na.....they are trying their best....

MohammedC
January 1, 2008, 03:39 PM
I like it too. I like it because they got humiliated and if the have spine like our ancestors they will wake up and do us proud.

Xavier
January 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
Don't lose your faith, bangladeshi friends... keep on supporting your team and time will come Bangladesh cricket will get great achievement... who knows maybe it will be earlier than we think!

As you say... "I'm with Bangladesh whether they win or lose!" :up:

al Furqaan
January 1, 2008, 06:43 PM
You might have a point there. If you're right, the problem is embedded in our culture, not just in the minds of eleven young men who go out there and take the rod.

pakistan is not doin OK. give them a sporting wicket and they won't win anything...india is better but hardly threatning on sporting tracks.

Mav
January 1, 2008, 08:32 PM
I am liking it too.

Selectors are responsible because they placed wrong players in wrong positions in the 11. And defeat like this wont really affect our players, because hey, they will get their money anyway. That money thing is really what matters to most of our player, atleast subconsciously, because they are young and still irresponsible = lacking maturity.

Unless strict punishments for players are assigned for not performing.....
This kind of results will come back momentarily.

Foozy
January 1, 2008, 10:49 PM
Good thread Ahmed bhai... It was a good read!

ononto
January 1, 2008, 11:32 PM

Experiences/exposures dilute in high liquor of day-dreams... rather than building an actual wall brick-by-brick.

Simply Awesome. :up: :up: :up:

cricket_fanatic
January 1, 2008, 11:49 PM
It's not that we came to NZ with a successful series win or something under our belt that we'd be complacent. Yes we've had success in the ODI and T20 world cups this year but I'm not too sure if that had a lot to do with us getting slaughtered that bad in the 3rd ODI.

The truth is many of our players still lack the skill and maturity to play at the international level and absence of a sustained mindset to look back at mistakes and improve, remains a problem for our cricketers. Add to that a loss of focus ( for whatever reasons ) and you have the perfect recipe for disaster, as we observed with awe in the 3rd ODI.

Bottom line: there is no shortcut to success. It will take us some time to be a real force in intl cricket. And yes, there will be a few more days like the third ODI along the way.

wiseshah
January 2, 2008, 03:04 AM
Yes... I am liking it!

And yes, I am talking about the brutal thrashing that NZ handed over to this picnic-kids... the so-called ‘tigers’!

Why? Well... the reason is simple!
They deserved it!

Its nothing new, to be honest. We’ve been following BD cricket for years... yet its still the same. That same old ‘picnic-cricket’ years after years. Yes, I am talking about the seriousness of these guys (kids actually). The overall mindset of the team is still pretty much immature. Hype takes over their minds too easily.

We hear each of the top-team’s captains say before every series that no matter how successful they have been in the past, every new series and every new match starts from zero again. And they have to work equally hard to gain another success in a fresh new match/series. True, that sometimes our own captain(s) say the same. But the difference is that the other captains actually know what they are talking about, whereas our captain/players tend to swim in past-glories before every series.

So many times we’ve watched the team starting a series with fantasies and holy-dreams quickly taking them in mental wonderlands and secretly removing their hype-guards and turning on their picnic mood. And then, only with a few early humiliating nose-dives, they start realizing the real depth of the ocean and the real height of the perfect storm.

So I would say, I’m quite happy with the brutal punches right on the face they have had in the ODI series, after which they hopefully can taste blood on their teeth! They deserve it every time they turn the picnic-mood on. They deserve it every time they run for a fantasy-ride! They deserve it every time they forget that it’s a whole new series and a fresh new match and they need to work their asses off again to rise up from zero!

Hopefully, this knock-down will make them look at the hard & sharp rocks they are walking on. Looking forward to a more down-to-earth Test match efforts from the bunch of dreaming-kids, since they atleast fear now of the point-blank experiences!

excellent thread man. exactly i am thinking the same way.....

BANFAN
January 2, 2008, 03:16 AM
Or is that, Jamie sidon's bench marking of BD team at the point of take over? So he can leave on a high note, even with an average performing BD team after 2 years? This performance surely was a bellow average performance !!

BD-Shardul
January 2, 2008, 04:05 AM
This is what BD players were doing:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/35005cef4b.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

See, players are not attentive, especially Tamim. And JO teaching his juniors :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f7e3696cb6.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Ah! Ei lake er pani deikha monda juray gelo. Ashraful to komere hat diye dance korte chache.
:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/933350d548.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Ash: Ei rokom garite age konodin chorchosh?
Tamim: Ki je kon keptin bhai, ei rokom gari duniyate je ache jantam na.

:head::head::head::head::head:

As you sow so you reap. And we deservedly got thrashed.

ammark
January 2, 2008, 01:56 PM
Well said Ahmed_B, but you know very well what it is I constantly harp on about: Our domestic cricket quality is pathetic, and unless thats really improved, we'll still be looking up to our doodh'e dhowa "so-called tigers". ...nearing a good decade since we played our first test!

Ahmed_B
January 3, 2008, 07:05 AM

Exactly!
It has a lot to do with our culture...which not only affects the minds of the cricketers, but also influences the minds of the fans and media. Its probably about the way we (players/fans/media) look at the whole thing. We dream and demand more.. but plan less. At the same time... we do have a forgetful culture. Our way of looking at past is more emotional than for actual and specific learning. Just look at what we did with our Liberation war! We remembered its massive emotions.. but forgot the purpose, which ofcourse was to get a sovereign and economically strong country.

And about India/Pakistan: Nops, they’re not really doing that well in cricket... but much better than us, that’s true. I believe the relative inconsistency that they have in their cricket compared to other nations, is a result of their sub-continental emotional mindset.

And why they are doing better than us? Well... aren’t they doing better than us in economic aspects as well to some degree? Besides, ages of those two countries and the length of cricket playing history is more than double compared to BD… which does allow them to gain a standard by default. That, however, does not allow them to completely free themselves from the demonstration of fluctuating professionalism in cricket also, at times.

This time/age (as nation) factor will keep improving BD's cricket too... probably following the same path of their two closest cricket-neighbours.

Rifat
January 3, 2008, 07:40 AM
Exactly!
It has a lot to do with our culture...which not only affects the minds of the cricketers, but also influences the minds of the fans and media. Its probably about the way we (players/fans/media) look at the whole thing. We dream and demand more.. but plan less. At the same time... we do have a forgetful culture. Our way of looking at past is more emotional than for actual and specific learning. Just look at what we did with our Liberation war! We remembered its massive emotions.. but forgot the purpose, which ofcourse was to get a sovereign and economically strong country.

And about India/Pakistan: Nops, they’re not really doing that well in cricket... but much better than us, that’s true. I believe the relative inconsistency that they have in their cricket compared to other nations, is a result of their sub-continental emotional mindset.

And why they are doing better than us? Well... aren’t they doing better than us in economic aspects as well to some degree? Besides, ages of those two countries and the length of cricket playing history is more than double compared to BD… which does allow them to gain a standard by default. That, however, does not allow them to completely free themselves from the demonstration of fluctuating professionalism in cricket also, at times.

This time/age (as nation) factor will keep improving BD's cricket too... probably following the same path of their two closest cricket-neighbours.

i am glad at least someone admits it :)

Ahmed_B
January 3, 2008, 07:51 AM
i am glad at least someone admits it :)
As I wrote before... the first step to solve any problem is to admit it. Not for getting demoralized by it though.. rather to start finding ways to resolve it as much as possible. And, to some extent, to know own limitations and play within it as well.

IMO.. Sri Lanka is the only nation which have managed to understand their regional problems/limitations in cricket. That is exactly why they have come out as the most consistant team in the region.

Hatebreed
January 3, 2008, 08:46 AM
Let me rub the proverbial salt on the wound so we don't get carried away and start looking solace on how other sub-continental teams are doing. As far as I'm concerned, a tiny country like SL is doing fine.

This is the reality-
New Zealand 95 for 0 (McCullum 80*) beat Bangladesh 93 (Vettori 5-7) by ten wickets (with 264 balls remaining)

Face it, this kind of performance is inexcusable and downright unprofessional. It is only exposing that we have a set of very one-dimensional players who are out of their depth, thanks to domestic experience that is as good as useless at this level of cricket. We need to look at the source of the problem and do something to improve the quality of our cricket from its roots. We cannot magically change our culture, but we can look to develop a strong and competitive cricket culture instead. You can say this will take time all you like, but we cannot afford to continuously stumble and stagnate during this crucial process. If this is the best we have to offer, than we have every reason to be concerned of our progress.

We have been given the ram-rod so many times you can parallel park a ford focus in there. Something's gotta give.

lamisa
January 3, 2008, 09:55 AM
datz wat i had been tokn about!:-p
JOY BANGLA

Tigers_eye
January 3, 2008, 10:18 AM
The reality check is for those who thought we would go in to the NZ series and knock the socks of them. For the rest, getting 200+ in the first, better showing in the second is a blessing.

For Ahmed bhai:
Do you think the players needs to go in a match thinking that their average is 20? Or do you think they need to think that they have a chance?

When rock solid past performers like Mash can only muster one wicket in three ODI matches what does that tell you? Yeah, I know we need Rasel so badly.

Ahmed_B
January 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
For Ahmed bhai:
Do you think the players needs to go in a match thinking that their average is 20? Or do you think they need to think that they have a chance?
:) And Jamie Siddons already answered your question on my behalf:
"We've got a lot of young boys that are going to have a lot of bad days before they have some good ones," he said. "How will we react? We're capable of anything. We could respond really well, or we could capitulate -- that's how good we are."
Link (http://content-www.cricinfo.com/nzvbdesh/content/story/328902.html)

My 2 cents: Why assume that the two options in your questions are self-contradictory? Because they are.. actually.. two sides of the same problem. Yes we have to know that we do have a chance, otherwise what is the point of playing? But at the same time.. the players do have to start being serious about their averages. They have to realize that there is some problem with the batting they are doing. They have to care for their averages.. and not forget their all previous 10's with one occassional 50.

Not sure if i could make myself clear enough.. still trying. :)