PDA

View Full Version : selectors got it right.

al Furqaan
January 3, 2008, 12:47 PM
whether we get bundled out for 50 or the boys go on to make us proud, i think the selectors have done a good job picking the squad. only possible flaw is the inclusion of bashar, but he's more likely than rajin to score big, IMO.

1 - tamim
2 - junaid
3 - bashar
4 - ash
5 - SN
6 - aftab
7 - mushy
8 - mash
9 - sajid
10 - shahadat
11 - enam

X - rajin

we've got our equal best fielder as the 12th man, so all in all its the best we could have hoped for. good luck to all 12 of them!

Hatebreed
January 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
Who is our best fielder?

Tigers_eye
January 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
Who is our best fielder?
X.
The selectors didn't get it right. it was more like JS, Ash's influence I think.

al Furqaan
January 3, 2008, 12:51 PM
Who is our best fielder?

aftab and rajin...okay, so aftab is quite a bit better, but the gap is equally big between rajin and whoever is number 3

Moshin
January 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
we cannot hav zunaied there, boy 1 50 in a twenty20 game and he gets a call for
the tests, no i say good luck to him hope he scores a hundred, and where is nafees?

tonoy
January 3, 2008, 12:54 PM
two debutant openers? oh boy! wish em the best luck though.

Spitfire_x86
January 3, 2008, 12:55 PM
aftab and rajin...okay, so aftab is quite a bit better, but the gap is equally big between rajin and whoever is number 3
Tamim is quite good, especially in the outfield.

Spitfire_x86
January 3, 2008, 12:57 PM
two debutant openers? oh boy! wish em the best luck though.
Don't worry, our first total of 400 was made by a team of XI debutants :-p

Ajfar
January 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
Tamim is quite good, especially in the outfield.

i knww..remember the superman catch against srilanka

tonoy
January 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
Don't worry, our first total of 400 was made by a team of XI debutants

was that the australian game you are talking about in fatullah? was nafees a debutant there?

Ajfar
January 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
was that the australian game you are talking about in fatullah? was nafees a debutant there?

nah he's talking abt our first test againstt...india

Tigers_eye
January 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
No against India. Our first test.

Rifat
January 3, 2008, 01:00 PM

the one in 2000 , versus India Aminul Islam made 145,

it looks to me, Bangladesh is a dangerous team to play in thier home turf, even for Australlia and especially when we are underestimated!

ialbd
January 3, 2008, 01:00 PM
2 new (relatively) openers, SN in the middle order, Bashar to follow, debutant 3rd bowler.... a lot happening in selection I see...

but I would like to see what this unorthodox selection yields, as we clearly saw what our orthodox selection brought for us in the ODIs....

tonoy
January 3, 2008, 01:01 PM
oh...
Thanks for clearing that up everyone. I need more history lessons apparently.

Moshin
January 3, 2008, 01:02 PM
I dont think the selectors have got it right, nafees and tamim should have opened, plus we need more than one or two spinners in the match, where is razzak?

Navarene
January 3, 2008, 01:03 PM
...and where is the fifth bowler? Ash? Aftab?

al Furqaan
January 3, 2008, 01:04 PM
X.
The selectors didn't get it right. it was more like JS, Ash's influence I think.

ahh, but JS and ash are part of the panel...at least DW and bash was.

Sohel
January 3, 2008, 01:04 PM
... The selectors didn't get it right. it was more like JS, Ash's influence I think.

Spot on. That's exactly what the selectors have been saying, especially AK to the deshi press.

Eshen
January 3, 2008, 01:06 PM
...and where is the fifth bowler? Ash? Aftab?
Is it necessary to have a fifth bowler in a test match ?

Sohel
January 3, 2008, 01:07 PM
Who is our best fielder?

Aftab, Ash, Tamim and Zunaed in the team. Farhad and Shakib in the reserves. Abul Bashar and Alok Kapali in the NCL.

HaBa and Abir are bad fielders.

cricman
January 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
http://blog.theavclub.tv/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/borat-high-five.jpg

Hatebreed
January 3, 2008, 01:14 PM
I am not too confident about Junaed's inclusion. He didn't look very comfortable in the ODI series. I would have picked Rajin and let SN/TI open.

Navarene
January 3, 2008, 01:15 PM
I mean it to be an "ocassional" fifth bowler. You need one or two to give a break thru in the longer version of cricket.

tonoy
January 3, 2008, 01:15 PM
I am not too confident about Junaed's inclusion. He didn't look very comfortable in the ODI series. I would have picked Rajin and let SN/TI open.

same here, dude.

Hatebreed
January 3, 2008, 01:19 PM
HaBa and Abir are bad fielders.

Even JO is a better fielder than them. Hell he is one of our best I reckon.

Moshin
January 3, 2008, 01:19 PM
yep, that would only happen if i was the selector:-D

sandpiper
January 3, 2008, 01:22 PM
I am not convinced with this selection. Junaid is too young to face this challenge. Survival of 50 overs might be difficult with this lineup. :waiting:

Sohel
January 3, 2008, 01:24 PM
Even JO is a better fielder than them. Hell he is one of our best I reckon.

Golla was very good about two years ago, and decent enough early last year before the smoking caught up to him. HaBa and Abir are also smokers BTW.

gunda
no sakib thats gr8 news..

Beamer

Not at all. No team goes with fifth genuine bowler, unless some Freddie Flintoff fell on their lap, who did a double duty of batting no.6 to go with fiery paced wkt taking bowling. India did try by propping Pathan at no.3, but , we all know what happened to his bowling.

Four front line bowlers is the standard. 3 pacers and 1 spinner is how most teams operate, unless the pitch is super spin friendly, and you can sit one pacer from that list. Siddons has his approach right. Too often we blame our players for being mentally weak, and deservedly so, but, how often do we blame the coaching stuff for going in a test match with losing attitude? Not many. Changing the mindset is the no.1 priority of the team and what better way to start it by including positive batsmen and best available attacking option in bowling .

At this juncture, losing test matches is unimportant, but what is off utmost importance is to have positive attitude/players filtering all through the line up.

Tigers_eye
January 3, 2008, 01:33 PM
ahh, but JS and ash are part of the panel...at least DW and bash was.
There are selectors (3 selectors, coach and Captain) and there is a team management (coach, captain and a team manager/selector). Two different tasks for two different groups. The selectors select the 14/15. the team management selects the playing 11.

The selectors had Rajin in mind and had sent him early on. Same case for JO. he was a backup opener for the ODI and a test opener in selectors mind. If the selectors had a say then both them would be in playing 11. JS wanted to give Zunaed and Tamim more chances than just three ODIs. Also, they were fimiliar of the conditions mroe than SN.

As for Zunaed, his list A performance was great. 4 days were mediocre if not bad. Hopefully staying in this tour will give him enough experience for the future to do well in the longer version. One can not ignore Imrul, Nazmus Sadat or Gazi Salauddin for long. He has competition in the future. Wishing him and the team all the best.

sadi
January 3, 2008, 01:37 PM
Zunaed did look quite comfortable in the middle from what I have seen in the odis. He should do well in the test matches. He knows how to leave balls well and does have the technique to play the moving and rising balls.

Beamer
January 3, 2008, 01:45 PM
Zunaed did look quite comfortable in the middle from what I have seen in the odis. He should do well in the test matches. He knows how to leave balls well and does have the technique to play the moving and rising balls.

Yes. For a change, we also have a batsman of decent height, so, slightly short of length balls won't come to his throat! Likes to play in the V. I expect him to be a good test bat for years to come. Tamim pick can be debated, but he has the hot hands right now, and as you know, runs are at premium in test matches for Bangladesh. Shielding SN from the opening spot is another good move. First, he had no practice time unlike the other two, and more importantly, he, along with Ash, our two good players of spin, will negotiate a lot of Vettori. On that point, I would actually like to see Haba at no.6, as Aftab doesn't give me assurances against spinners. I will send him at no.3 against pacers. But, I can live with him at no.6. They have an equally good chance of seeing the second new ball, if we last that long !

Nocturnal
January 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
good team selection for 1st test.
1 - tamim 2 - junaid 3 - bashar 4 - ash 5 - SN 6 - aftab
7 - mushy 8 - mash 9 - sajid 10 - shahadat 11 - enam

akabir77
January 3, 2008, 02:01 PM
hope you guys stick around to defend the selectors after the third day...

sadi
January 3, 2008, 02:05 PM
hope you guys stick around to defend the selectors after the third day...

Most likely we wont be but can you propose a team where you can positively say you will be there to defend it after the third day? I don't think so. With Bangladesh team, no matter what the team selection is 80 percent time they will disappoint you. It is more like "monder bhalo".

Murad
January 3, 2008, 02:17 PM
damnn i like the team..i would have chosen farhad in place of aftab though.

it was a very good decision to play nafees at 5. he's currently struggling with form, so its better for him to play in the middle order. i hope he does well.

anyways
hoping for a good show today. especially from sajidul if we bowl first.

akabir77
January 3, 2008, 02:19 PM
Most likely we wont be but can you propose a team where you can positively say you will be there to defend it after the third day? I don't think so. With Bangladesh team, no matter what the team selection is 80 percent time they will disappoint you. It is more like "monder bhalo".

the only difference is i will be here defending the selectors and some others will change their support and will open thread like kill the selectors or something close to that.

Since we are taking the risky option be prepare for the worse. don't jump the ship when it or of it sinks.

sadi
January 3, 2008, 02:28 PM
I know what you mean. Risky option may turn out to be not so risky option at the end though since we are picking some technically correct players instead of some so called test player.

al Furqaan
January 3, 2008, 02:32 PM
Golla was very good about two years ago, and decent enough early last year before the smoking caught up to him. HaBa and Abir are also smokers BTW.

smokers as in cigarrettes or that good ole mary jane?

BangladeshFan
January 3, 2008, 02:35 PM
I like the way zunaid batted in the ODIs, 2 of the times he was dismissed when he tried to up the tempo but in test matches he will have time. I also think SN is better off in the middle order when the ball loses its shine. Tamim and Aftab both has got some runs. Between Rajin and Bashar its a tough call, but Bashar is probably the right choice because of his experience.

Overall I like the team, now how they will play is anyone's guess!!

zainab
January 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
Nafees and Tamim should have opened with Junaid coming down the order.
This team with the exception of Bashar looks like a bunch of schoolboys playing against a mature, experienced side. I just hope that they perform better than the SL series, and take the match into the 4th day at least. also, they should not make any batsman score centuries.
My wish is that they they stay at the wicket, do not get bowled out for less than 100 runs, and put up a decent fight.
Good luck to Tamim! a few months ago,he was being written off, now, with Coach Siddons helping him, he has managed to acquire a test debut at 18 yrs of age. IMO, he and Aftab are the best fielders in the side.
I wish this young team all the best.

Mav
January 3, 2008, 02:52 PM
Bashar????????????????????? ???????????????? ???????

Man, only because this is the 50th test.......they brought a player who isnt in form.
This mentality will prosper our future.......freakin historical old minded selectors....go die.

Shaan
January 3, 2008, 02:57 PM
Good to see the selectors picked up quite balance team..though Rajin was better choice than Bashar IMO

Pundit
January 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
good team selection for 1st test.
1 - tamim 2 - junaid 3 - bashar 4 - ash 5 - SN 6 - aftab
7 - mushy 8 - mash 9 - sajid 10 - shahadat 11 - enam

Great team - what are the odds of Shareer swapping with Junaid in the real 11?

sadat_04
January 3, 2008, 03:01 PM
I don't like the selection of Bashar either...too old...out of form..haven't done anything good since world cup..but still gets a shot..thats how bad our situation is..I would have played Rajin or someone else in his place..but new coach probably wants to see what he's got...fair enough...if he gets his form back..I will be a happy man but I doubt it, then again..its good enough to score 30-50 in one out of 4 innings and selectors will pick him up again..

Rabz
January 3, 2008, 03:04 PM
Nothing to complain about.

A risky move by the team management by playing 3 debutant, but it could just pay off.

Tamim and Junaed looked pretty good during the odi's.

Even though Junaed failed to score big, both looked comfortable in the middle.

Sajid is a big risk, but if we manage to bowl first, it could just be worth that risk.

Something tells me this could just be Bashar's comeback series.
my gut feelings says he would score a century!

Let's see.

Shartaz
January 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
Zunaed in the squad...man hes not even out of his dipers yet....youth policy is good but sometimes it goes a bit to far...in the process we end up destroying genuine talents like Zunead

Murad
January 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
Zunaed in the squad...man hes not even out of his dipers yet....youth policy is good but sometimes it goes a bit to far...in the process we end up destroying genuine talents like Zunead

Junaid is 20 yrs old. Tamim is only 18.

But you are saying Junaid is not even out of his diapers... What about Tamim?

sadi
January 3, 2008, 03:43 PM
Junaid is 20 yrs old. Tamim is only 18.

But you are saying Junaid is not even out of his diapers... What about Tamim?

Tamim is probably not born yet... :-*

sadi
January 3, 2008, 03:46 PM
I guess the reason behind Bashar's inclusion is quite simple:

His ability to play the pull short relatively well. New Zealand will obviously test us with some short pitched delivery and we need batsmen who can answer back with some horizontal shots. Rajin is a better choice in subcontinent. I hope Bashar justifies his inclusion. I am sure he realizes his time is almost up and he has to perform in this series.

Gowza
January 3, 2008, 04:29 PM
personally i think the selectors back home could have done a better job, there are a number of BD players back home who've played a good amount of FC matches and average mid 30s who have been over looked by players like junaid and tamim who've not played enough FC cricket to really know what the game is about. tamim they can just get away with because his average is up there but junaid doesn't even average 30. no reason why players like gazi salahuddin, ehsanul haque or nazimuddin shouldn't have been brought over who have proven records. even NI would have been an alright choice.

the selectors really need to make a pecking order for slots in the team and a player shouldn't be able to surpass another until they've played at least 25 matches in that format and have a similar or better average than that person. the team is ok but imo it could have been better, but this is the team chosen and i hope they go out and really give it to NZ.

al Furqaan
January 3, 2008, 04:50 PM
personally i think the selectors back home could have done a better job, there are a number of BD players back home who've played a good amount of FC matches and average mid 30s who have been over looked by players like junaid and tamim who've not played enough FC cricket to really know what the game is about. tamim they can just get away with because his average is up there but junaid doesn't even average 30. no reason why players like gazi salahuddin, ehsanul haque or nazimuddin shouldn't have been brought over who have proven records. even NI would have been an alright choice.

the selectors really need to make a pecking order for slots in the team and a player shouldn't be able to surpass another until they've played at least 25 matches in that format and have a similar or better average than that person. the team is ok but imo it could have been better, but this is the team chosen and i hope they go out and really give it to NZ.

Gowza, numbers in the BD domestic setup don't add up to much. its more about spotting real talent. as siddons said, these boys will be pretty bad before they can be anything good. ashraful is the epitomy of that hard truth.

just look at sakib's numbers and pilot's as well in the NCL.

Gowza
January 3, 2008, 06:46 PM
maybe, but i'd prefer the players who have the best numbers and are the most consistent in the domestic structure than players who have talent but haven't proven it yet. give them more time to develop and become consistent then put them in the the starting XI. in the meantime there are players over in BD who have earned their runs and proven they're more consistent than the others and are basically being shoved aside. say there is a player who averages 45 and a player who averages 25. it's like denying the guy who averages 45 a spot in the national side over the guy who averages 25 just because you think the guy with the lower average has more talent. it's unfair to the guy with the higher average because he's earned the right to a spot in the team through the runs he's scored.

i'm not saying young talent doesn't have a spot in the national side, but it's got to be within reason. i just think some of the players in the BD domestic setup are being a bit unfairly treated.

anyway, all i want is for BD to do well no matter what team is put on the park.

nahaz
January 3, 2008, 10:11 PM
The selectors,or rather Siddons, got it wrong. I wouldn't mind playing Zunaed if there were other more experienced players in the team who had a good probability to perform. But since we don't, Rajin should have been in instead of him.SN also did beter in opening (virtually) today than him.Jamie better spend a lot of time with Zuaned if he wants him to stay.

taklima_naj
January 4, 2008, 06:12 AM

yeah, that would have been much better.

abu2abu
January 4, 2008, 06:32 AM
I think it was fair enough to let Zunaed and Tamim open (though Zunaed was probably more of a hunch by Siddons). The only thing I have a problem with is the inclusion of nafees at number 5. There's nothing wrong with having 3 openers in the side, but it would have been better to let Nafees bat at no3. This is what england did with mark Butcher and Michael Vaughan and will probably do in February, when they play the kiwis, with Andrew Strauss..

It makes sense especially when you lose an early wicket to have an opener batting at 3. In fact I would have sent nafees in as soon as Zunaed's wicket fell yesterday, regardless of the stated batting order. but i accept that might look like panic. then again, the kiwi public and pundits don't really know our players, so maybe they would never have noticed...

karimjay.
January 4, 2008, 07:22 AM
Why does no one like Rajin..

He's a contender for the most resilient batsman for test for BD..

FagunerAgun
January 4, 2008, 07:41 AM
No, still we need JO to bat 50 overs in an inning in the Tests.

FagunerAgun
January 4, 2008, 07:43 AM
Why does no one like Rajin..

He's a contender for the most resilient batsman for test for BD..

He has pretty good techniques with a pumpkin head. :-D

Dhakablues
January 4, 2008, 03:36 PM
Had these selectors were in charge of Indian Cricket,, they wouldve dropped Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman 7 years ago as they wouldve been considered too old!! Thats what they did to Rafique/Pilot/Javed.

The selectors should have never budged to Siddons request to send back Javed/Tusher. Doesnt matter what he says,, they shouldve known that Juaned is playing only for couple of years and was never that good in First Class cricket anyways. Javed is stronger at backfoot,, which I dont think Junaed had. I hope they learn their lesson well and make mends for the SA series and work their strategy out with experience and true talent than whimsical selection choice over Gulistan's Cafe.

Murad
January 4, 2008, 03:45 PM
For Test matches, we have to bring back some discards, who are doing well in the NCL. Ehansul Hoque, Hannan Sarkar, Mehrab Sr. and others. We have to give them another chance. We need to have experienced players in the Test team.

BTW it was a good decision to send JO back. He's useless.

Moshin
January 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
We should use Aftab Ahmed for the bowling against the batsman, can everyone remember the tour of 2004, he was the highest wicket taker I think, with figures of 5 for somthing isnt't, Ashraful should use him today to put the pressure on them!

Tigers_eye
January 4, 2008, 04:08 PM
1) Common wisdom tells us better to allow debutdants in fimiliar condition instead of hostile condition. Let the lessor talent get the heavy beatings overseas (Heavy beating was a foregone conclusion when the series was scheduled). How boosting would have been for Zunaed and Tamim to play against SA at home instead of playing at NZ and get an hundred partnership or even an individual century? On the contrary Zunaed and Siddons both are contemplating (second guessing themselves) now.

There is on doubt these boys are fearless and more talented than all previous BD openers combined. Yet they have next to no experience at this level. Same goes for Mushi. I guess this will be the learning curve for Siddon and the selectors. Siddon has an excuse but these selectors have none.

2) Common wisdom tells us FC cricket shows how well one may perform in test. Just as list A performance would show how one would perform in ODIs. Meaning who is in-form and who is not. Zunaed's selection in ODI is not permanent as of yet. Heck his 20/20 position is not permanent yet. His current year's FC stat is laughable. 10 innings 19.7 average, with a SR of 25.16. His inclusion for test had very little justification. I know there are some difference of standards in local league and international play, but putting these young boys in the line of fire is not good planning. I haven't seen anything from these boys that they can consistantly hold down the fort or sustain pressure.

Face to face meetings and evaluation of talents by the selectors and coach must done right after the series. I hate to see a musical chair game on our opening slots both for ODI and Test matches.

Dhakablues
January 4, 2008, 04:22 PM
1) Common wisdom tells us better to allow debutdants in fimiliar condition instead of hostile condition. Let the lessor talent get the heavy beatings overseas (Heavy beating was a foregone conclusion when the series was scheduled). How boosting would have been for Zunaed and Tamim to play against SA at home instead of playing at NZ and get an hundred partnership or even an individual century? On the contrary Zunaed and Siddons both are contemplating (second guessing themselves) now.

There is on doubt these boys are fearless and more talented than all previous BD openers combined. Yet they have next to no experience at this level. Same goes for Mushi. I guess this will be the learning curve for Siddon and the selectors. Siddon has an excuse but these selectors have none.

2) Common wisdom tells us FC cricket shows how well one may perform in test. Just as list A performance would show how one would perform in ODIs. Meaning who is in-form and who is not. Zunaed's selection in ODI is not permanent as of yet. Heck his 20/20 position is not permanent yet. His current year's FC stat is laughable. 10 innings 19.7 average, with a SR of 25.16. His inclusion for test had very little justification. I know there are some difference of standards in local league and international play, but putting these young boys in the line of fire is not good planning. I haven't seen anything from these boys that they can consistantly hold down the fort or sustain pressure.

Face to face meetings and evaluation of talents by the selectors and coach must done right after the series. I hate to see a musical chair game on our opening slots both for ODI and Test matches.

Thanks T E for the data driven argument!! I rest my case..

BangladeshFan
January 4, 2008, 04:30 PM
leave junaed and play who? we have seen JO enough......... will u be happy with a snail like 10 in 40 balls? how many tests JO played and whats his highest score?

zunaed has potential. I just hope he leaves everything around or above waist high. same goes to tamim...... why play the short balls when they are not confident? they cant get bowled or lbwed, only way they can get out to a short ball is by caught, awkward fending off like tamim or mistime pull like HB.

tonoy
January 4, 2008, 04:30 PM

I have exactly the same view on zunaid as you.

sadi
January 4, 2008, 04:38 PM
Instead of second guessing coach's decision to put Zunaed in there, everyone should support this move. Every test we play is another chance to learn at work for our youngsters. Now, if we drop him in the next game the effort go wasted but they are talented enough to work on their game and get better as time goes on. Tamim has improved his game a lot from what I have seen so far and I am sure Zunaed will also. Just have some faith. Lets give them atleast 10 innings together and we shall see the improvement. Having a knee jerk reaction doesn't help. Scoring a fifty in his debut inning doesn't make Tamim a Tendulkar and scoring 1 in his debut innings doesn't make Zunaed a bust.

Tigers_eye
January 4, 2008, 04:41 PM
leave junaed and play who? we have seen JO enough..........
Take is easy bro. I am not attesting JO either. SN was there. Even Nafis Iqbal would have been better choice. Both have relative experience at this level. You have missed my point. Asking rookies to perform in overseas condition is a bit too much. Luckily Tamim saved the selector's face with a decent score (Just like he did in WC against India). Otherwise BD dailies would have questioned selection big time. There is a reason most NFL Quarterback blossoms in their 3rd year in the league. Cricket opening slots is almost as complicated as the QB position.

Tigers_eye
January 4, 2008, 04:46 PM
Instead of second guessing coach's decision to put Zunaed in there, everyone should support this move. Every test we play is another chance to learn at work for our youngsters. Now, if we drop him in the next game the effort go wasted but they are talented enough to work on their game and get better as time goes on. Tamim has improved his game a lot from what I have seen so far and I am sure Zunaed will also. Just have some faith. Lets give them atleast 10 innings together and we shall see the improvement. Having a knee jerk reaction doesn't help. Scoring a fifty in his debut inning doesn't make Tamim a Tendulkar and scoring 1 in his debut innings doesn't make Zunaed a bust.
Yes, Now since Zunaid is the Siddon's man, we must lend our support. he should be given enough chances. Not only in the second test but in the upcoming test series agaisnt SA too. My critisizm is on the selectors thinking process. They had mentioned that they would make less changes in test cricket lineup. Hopefully they will stick to their words.

Zunaid is a gem. I do not want him to wither away like so many of our gems have.

Gowza
January 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
leave junaed and play who? we have seen JO enough......... will u be happy with a snail like 10 in 40 balls? how many tests JO played and whats his highest score?

zunaed has potential. I just hope he leaves everything around or above waist high. same goes to tamim...... why play the short balls when they are not confident? they cant get bowled or lbwed, only way they can get out to a short ball is by caught, awkward fending off like tamim or mistime pull like HB.

nafis iqbal and gazi salahuddin both have better records than junaid in FC cricket and they've played more matches than him to. the selectors can't purely go on potential, they have to show at least some sort of decent consistency before being chosen for the national team. do you think australia would ever pick a 19 year old opener who's played 14 FC matches for an away test match in say india (the toughest place for aussie batsmen atm)? it would never happen because the chances of success for that player is very slim.

tamim probably shouldn't have been picked either but there was at least a case for tamim i.e. he was in good form and although he's only played a small amount of FC matches he does average over 40. but ideally most teams would go for either a new player with a terrific record (after a lot of matches) or an experienced player.

One World
January 4, 2008, 07:18 PM
...ideally most teams would go for either a new player with a terrific record (after a lot of matches) or an experienced player.

And we Bangladeshis are always there to break such homogeneity. :(

sadi
January 5, 2008, 03:57 AM
It feels so good to brag sometimes.

I Told You So. :)

nobody
January 5, 2008, 05:35 AM
gamble of playing Zunaid and Tamim paid off. Hope Basher's one also pay divident

Aaron
January 5, 2008, 05:57 AM
it's not a gamble. well judged decision of taking two young teens when the ol' gollaman was giving us disaster and humiliation by beating in every ball.

Beamer
January 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
It feels so good to brag sometimes.

I Told You So. :)
You are not alone:notworthy:

AsifTheManRahman
January 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
gamble of playing Zunaid and Tamim paid off. Hope Basher's one also pay divident

Zuaned's always looked like one of the better openers in terms of technique that we have produced over the last decade or so. I guess it was just a matter of time for him.

However, Tamim's a TOTALLY different player. Here he was a few months ago playing wristy nothings to good length balls popping up above the waist outside off, and rushing down the track and throwing his bat at thin air. Look at him today. Very few rash shots, absolutely NO GAP between bat and pad, watchful until the last millisecond when bat hits ball, and leaving an awful lot of deliveries alone. He's got starts in almost every game in the TOUR, and looks very, VERY solid. I have never seen a Bangladeshi batsman transform so much in such a short time. I hope he doesn't fade away.

Eshen
January 5, 2008, 01:41 PM
Keeping Bashar at #3 is not a gamble, he is there because lack of a better choice.