PDA

View Full Version : Coach Siddons VINDICATED!

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 12:06 AM
Coach Siddons VINDICATED! This man will take us to the new level, so let's grow up a little and take it easy with that trigger finger ... :)

ENOUGH said.

jahidus200
January 5, 2008, 12:12 AM
exactly ,because he knows where is our player problem. and this kind of coach we need .
i think he is very good coach for bangladesh

bdbazar_com
January 5, 2008, 12:12 AM
lets see tomorrow morning..

tonoy
January 5, 2008, 12:13 AM
:notworthy: i bow down to the humbleness of siddons. I was wrong about zunaid and Ill admit it.

BD Tigers
January 5, 2008, 12:14 AM
isnt it a bit early to say that? one good partnership will not do that. I'd rather rate him after 2 yrs and hopefully by that time, BD will be a good TEST side.

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 12:14 AM
He is making some positive changes and taking initiatives.

IMHO, too early to comment, hopefully he will usher a new era for Bangladesh Cricket.

Navarene
January 5, 2008, 12:15 AM
আহ শান্তি...ইইইই

MohammedC
:notworthy: i bow down to the humbleness of siddons. I was wrong about zunaid and Ill admit it.

Siddons was right about Big Z. He liked him from the moment he saw him bat at training back in Dhaka.

AsifTheManRahman
Even if it's a bit early to comment, I'd like to strangle a few reporters tonight.

djnaved
January 5, 2008, 12:16 AM
yeah, one good partnership is not enough... they need to keep their form in every match..like australia team.

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 12:16 AM
Even if it's a bit early to comment, I'd like to strangle a few reporters tonight.

Just 3 more ATMR !!!

sandpiper
January 5, 2008, 12:17 AM
I hope both of these batsmen reach three figures tomorrow and take the team to a respectable position. :fanflag:

MohammedC
Just 3 more ATMR !!!

Yes we need those 3 post today make it special

Pundit
isnt it a bit early to say that? one good partnership will not do that. I'd rather rate him after 2 yrs and hopefully by that time, BD will be a good TEST side.

Sometimes, trying to sound overly mature leads to an immature comment.

BangladeshFan
January 5, 2008, 12:33 AM
even atahar was saying that taking zunaed in place of JO was a wrong move. but these guys just talk of their old way of thinking.

see how junaed bats. while tamim is the harder hitter, zunaed is more compact and more likely to succeed. even in the ODIs where he didnt score much, he was getting behind the line and looked good. he may have some technical shortcomings(who doesnt have in Bd lineup) but he is just 20 and will learn.

Rabz
January 5, 2008, 12:34 AM
Vindicated indeed.

It was an absolute delight to watch the two batting.

Junaed is simply a class act, the way he bats is a joy to watch.

...And whats with Tamim? Looks like some one has read some magic mantra on his ears. He bats with so much maturity and with sense that it seems like he aged a lot in last few months.

Great to see the coach believing in them, and them returning the favour to him.

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 12:36 AM
... Great to see the coach believing in them, and them returning the favour to him.

INDEED ... :up:

Navarene
January 5, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'd rather rate him after 2 yrs and hopefully by that time, BD will be a good TEST side.
Wait till painstaking 2 more years, and meanwhile let us celebrate and congrats these two batting duo for their outstanding performance in the middle.

Tehsin
January 5, 2008, 12:40 AM
I'd like to think that our boys read those crap on NZ media (some were perfectly legitimate) and said - ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Question is, do the rest of the players have enough talent and self respect to carry on this afternoons onslaught ?

My fear - we have been there before. Played well for half a day on the econd innings and then fold within 50-100 runs the nex morning. Good to see Nafees back in the team. With him, Sumon, Ashraful to follow and if Aftab gets his license to SLOG and gets a fe wlucky break, we can atleast put up a 150-200 run chase for NZ. Grated, that may not be enough, however, I'll take that over an innings defeat ANY DAY.

As for Siddons. Can't blame a coach for a 137 all out. Can't also praise him wholeheartedly for a 148 for 0. Nothing is concrete until we show consistent performance over a period of 6-12 months. Jumping to conclusions based on one-odd performances will not do our cricket any good. Let's forget the mentality of RIGHT NOW and focus on the FUTURE. Things can't and won't change overnight. Ektu dhorjo dhoren, time will come. It's just taking a few years more then we'd like/expected. :)

lamisa
January 5, 2008, 12:42 AM
siddonz bhai sorry 4 disagreeing wid u abt zunaed.MAAF KOIRRA DEN.kan dhorlam r kokhono siddonser kono decisionre disapprov korbo na.
JOY BANGLA

scoilaheez
January 5, 2008, 12:42 AM
Siddons will be a great coach for Bangladesh no doubt, but Bangladesh wont have made progress until a few years. Then we will consistently be competitive in tests.

pial
January 5, 2008, 12:44 AM

Right you are.

Spitfire_x86
January 5, 2008, 12:53 AM
What was Atahar saying during our batting today?

Ahmed_B
January 5, 2008, 12:55 AM
Lets just enjoy the great day for the moment Sohel bhai.. :)
Lets not forget that this same team had to take lots of blows in 3 ODI matches and the 1st day of Test-01.. just to get the taste of salt under their skins.. only then they could deliver such a gritty fightback!

Siddons will surely bring new life to the spine of the team.. but wont be a walk in the park for him.. as this team has a long and strange history of getting laid back even when they are in full control!

mhn
January 5, 2008, 12:55 AM
that's wat happens if u give someone time to settle down...had zunayed been sent back to bd after da odi failures we wouldnt have seen this kind of batting..nd same happened with tamim too..he has been in the team for quite a sometime widout any headache of dropping down from the team..and here he is making his test debut with 50s in the both innings..i think bd should stick with this batting line up..except habibul bashar..i think rajin saleh would be a better choice in da tests..

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 12:56 AM
What was Atahar saying during our batting today?

Propagating the "Myth of Golla" before being forced to **** himself ... :D

Eshen
January 5, 2008, 12:57 AM
Athahar and all those BD journos that were crying for JO can now go blow themselves :)

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 01:00 AM
Lets just enjoy the great day for the moment Sohel bhai.. :)
Lets not forget that this same team had to take lots of blows in 3 ODI matches and the 1st day of Test-01.. just to get the taste of salt under their skins.. only then they could deliver such a gritty fightback!

Siddons will surely bring new life to the spine of the team.. but wont be a walk in the park for him.. as this team has a long and strange history of getting laid back even when they are in full control!

I agree wholeheartedly on this happy day, but mark my words, this may actually be that elusive first step to that next level.

tiger_army
January 5, 2008, 01:13 AM
Great to see the coach believing in them, and them returning the favour to him.

Well said, i thnk we need a consistent batting line up, rather then some consistant batting at this moment to build a gr8 future.....if we keep changing batting line up we will never gain experienced players.....We are stll a new team....we dont have too many Super Stars....so we shud hav a constant batting line up, no matter wat they do then we will must find an experienced batting lineup

Beamer
January 5, 2008, 01:23 AM
To win, you have to have positive attitude and to have positive attitude, you gotta start with positive players first. That is Siddons's philosophy, and I am a big fan of that. If you want to build something good, you must first seek out the quality material, and without a doubt, the top six batsmen ( bashar record is just too good despite the decline ) right now, are the best possible in the country with apologies to Rajin, JO, Sakib, Tushar etc. I said earlier that he would like to build a team in his own mold and his keen eyes didn't escape the quality of TI and Junaid from the get go. We already know the quality of Ash, Aftab and SN. Now, its upto them really to make it count. Enam is the most attacking test spinner and Siddons have him playing right away!

About the newspapers guys and people like Ata: They will have a hard time winning any cricketing arguement in BC. They are stuck in the mindset of their childhood. Test cricket has moved on from boring five day draws. Once in a while, someone will come and play a match saving innings, but surely that is not the norm. Its all about scoring, putting pressure on the opposition, rather than them dictating the terms. If you want to win, you have to bat with scoring intent, not dumb slogging, but with positive strokeplay. Cricket has changed, sadly our experts haven't, and that is why they tend to glorify negative players who gives them incorrect impression of correctiveness.

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 01:27 AM
To win, you have to have positive attitude and to have positive attitude, you gotta start with positive players first. That is Siddons's philosophy, and I am a big fan of that. If you want to build something good, you must first seek out the quality material, and without a doubt, the top six batsmen ( bashar record is just too good despite the decline ) right now, are the best possible in the country with apologies to Rajin, JO, Sakib, Tushar etc. I said earlier that he would like to build a team in his own mold and his keen eyes didn't escape the quality of TI and Junaid from the get go. We already know the quality of Ash, Aftab and SN. Now, its upto them really to make it count. Enam is the most attacking test spinner and Siddons have him playing right away!

About the newspapers guys and people like Ata: They will have a hard time winning any cricketing arguement in BC. They are stuck in the mindset of their childhood. Test cricket has moved on from boring five day draws. Once in a while, someone will come and play a match saving innings, but surely that is not the norm. Its all about scoring, putting pressure on the opposition, rather than them dictating the terms. If you want to win, you have to bat with scoring intent, not dumb slogging, but with positive strokeplay. Cricket has changed, sadly our experts haven't, and that is why they tend to glorify negative players who gives them incorrect impression of correctiveness.

Game, set, and match to my beloved TWINSANITY ... classic post.

lamisa
January 5, 2008, 01:31 AM
now i wanna see SN doing something.

Beamer
January 5, 2008, 01:35 AM
now i wanna see SN doing something.

You will. Success is a contagious disease. It will have a snowball effect, as is true, the opposite way. I do not doubt his quality.

BD Tigers
January 5, 2008, 01:42 AM
Sometimes, trying to sound overly mature leads to an immature comment.

Pundit bhai, just wondering which part of my sentence leads to the immature comment? Waiting 2 yrs part or BD will be good test side part?

Kabir
January 5, 2008, 01:45 AM
Athahar and all those BD journos that were crying for JO can now go blow themselves :)

Finally a "laughable" comment by Eshen bhai :notworthy:

I think the current score has managed to tickle him a bit :D

Dhakablues
January 5, 2008, 01:53 AM
Disagreeing with someone is not always vindication. Coach beleived in Zunaid, he did great,, Great stuff. So did Alok perform during his initial days but we all know where he is now. Dont want to sound a pessmist but I think we need to wait for the series to declare Zunaid's score today was no fluke.. Also it is premature to start to worship Jamie Siddons just now. Give me couple of test win against India/Australia and then we can think of him as the greatest coach we ever had and vindicating him would be a national crime!!! aint satisfied with ODI wins anymore....got used to that with Watmore..:)

Pundit
January 5, 2008, 02:08 AM
Pundit bhai, just wondering which part of my sentence leads to the immature comment? Waiting 2 yrs part or BD will be good test side part?

You are right. My apologies.

Nocturnal
January 5, 2008, 02:27 AM
Finally a "laughable" comment by Eshen bhai :notworthy:
I think the current score has managed to tickle him a bit :D

amen :-p

djnaved
January 5, 2008, 02:37 AM
100% truely, athar was right at one side, because on the 1st innings junayed played a diffensive shot that looked like odi style.... what if junayed didn't score 50 today? you guys could back to the old track. that's the reason

[ amra bangalira kuno jinish valo bhabe observation na koira ag nia critisize kori porea eitar ultata hoi.. that's our traditional problem]

mahbubH
January 5, 2008, 02:40 AM
After long time we had a great day of test cricket.

Tamim impressed me the most.. he batted allmost all the day without trying any "alopatheri" Tamim shot. Congrats Tamim.

Zunaed usually plays in V .. he will not get success in test cricket only if his brain cell is similar to his "two big brothers".

Thanks Coach Siddon for taking right path.. stay with us!!

Tehsin
January 5, 2008, 02:47 AM
One reason the Journos could be in favor of JO is because the guy is very personable. The point there, they were probably speaking from an emotional standpoint.

Hoping to see more of this tomorrow - "That was quite an astonishing fightback from Bangladesh and all of them will be smiling from ear to ear despite still being 72 behind. Their positive strategy did throw New Zealand's plans off balance and even spurred the nice blokes - Chris Martin and Kyle Mills - into reacting in frustration." - Cricinfo.

tonoy
January 5, 2008, 02:48 AM
You will. Success is a contagious disease. It will have a snowball effect, as is true, the opposite way. I do not doubt his quality.

yes I agree with you. Time for ash annd sn to fully live up to their potential too.

DotBall
January 5, 2008, 02:49 AM
Such good batting by the young openers. I am proud of their reply. 2 kudos to Ash. One for getting 2 wickets and the second for his positive body language. I am not sure if I can contribute the fight back to our coach yet. 3 days of play is left in this game and we are still 72 runs behind. First session of tomorrow is going to be a real test for us. If our players can show a consistent performance during these 2 tests I will be the happiest BD fan.

nsd3
January 5, 2008, 02:50 AM
It appears that the comment you were referring to was being discussed here, not yours.

djnaved
January 5, 2008, 02:59 AM
eto lafalafi kisher bujlam na.. bd ki ek match kheila hero hoye gelo?

ekta jinsh shobshomoy mone rakhte hobe.. je kuno jinsh zero theke hero hoi abar hero theke zero hoi.zunayed, tamim ajke valo khelche. kalke kharap khelte pare. amra siddons ke thank u dei.. pore dholai dite hote pare. amra thank u, appreciate korbo jokhon bd team tana shera khela ta dekhabe.. so wait and see

Frost
January 5, 2008, 03:06 AM
While I'm very happy to see the performance today, I'll wait to see consistent performance before making any comment on Siddons' ability or disability.

Hatebreed
January 5, 2008, 03:11 AM
Well done Tamim and Zunaed for an amazing stand. I am glad that Zunaed has has shown he is capable of playing at this level, though I still believe it's too early to get excited. Nonetheless, this partnership has given the team and fans a much needed morale boost. I hope they can reach three figures tomorrow and continue to build on this performance.

Foozy
January 5, 2008, 03:38 AM
Extremely happy about today's performance. Thank you Eshan for the link later in the day. I had to leave suddenly so I could not say it before.
Congrats to Tamim and Big Z on their performance. Hope they both reach double figures tomorrow together just like they reached their fifties today in style.
Congrats to Ash on his captaincy and bowling alike so far. Hope he also contributes with the bat, as he is yet another person who can take this match to another level yet. I am also hopeful to see SN bat well.
I hope Aftab learns something after seeing these young boys and uses his gift or his talent in the rite way as well.
Congrats Mushfiq on that wonderful one handed catch! And hope he can also contribute well with the bat.
... lots of hope... lots of prayers for things to happen, and yet lots of prayers for things not to happen (our usual batting collapse)...
Best of Luck to BD and thank you very much for a brilliant day!
I didnt expect an entire day of batting without any wickets falling, but this was brilliant stuff from the two openers!!

abu2abu
January 5, 2008, 03:51 AM
sajidul, tamim and zunaed seem to be inspired selections by the coach. However, it's not fair to judge him so soon. 6 months down the line it'll be interesting to see where we are. but things are loooking quite good so far...

tiger_omar
January 5, 2008, 03:54 AM
Vindicated indeed.

It...And whats with Tamim? Looks like some one has read some magic mantra on his ears. He bats with so much maturity and with sense that it seems like he aged a lot in last few months.

You are absolutely correct. Tamim is known to be a very good player on the off side, and the cover drive is one of this best shot.

But it seems to me that he has worked on and improved his batting technique on the leg side as well.

In this match I have seen Tamim play some very good wristy shots on the leg side and they reminded me of some similar wristy shots that Tendulkar has become so popular for and had so much success with.

Maybe Siddions had something to do with that improvement, and if so, congrats to him and I hope he continues to work with and improve the techniques of all of our batsmen.

mafizraju
January 5, 2008, 05:08 AM
Coach Siddons VINDICATED! This man will take us to the new level, so let's grow up a little and take it easy with that trigger finger ... :)

ENOUGH said.

I normally read more than posting. But Sohel bhai has simply spoken my mind. Although its too early, I think This Man will take us far. lets keep faith on him.

On a personal note Sohel bhai you should take up the job of scouting talents......

Ejaj
January 5, 2008, 07:33 AM
Well.. I talked about Zunaid more than a year back. I liked his way of game. Very composed yet very attacking. He was a star for Mohamedan club last year. Love his off drive soo much. I reall hope he makes up to his potential. :)

oporajeyo_bangla
January 5, 2008, 07:38 AM
There was a Daily Star report at the eve of the Test about how Javed Omar was dropped unfairly and made the trip to NZ for nothing. In that report, one of the selectors (Akram Khan) mentioned that they decided to drop JO on the insistence of Coach Siddons. So yes I think Coach Siddons is vindicated through the performance of Big Z and this thread is appropriately named!

Big Z is still young, will learn from these experiences, and can only get better Inshallah! With Tamim firing on the other end, this is early indication that our opener problem has been solved. Even if they don't reach their hundreds, both openers deserve credit for what has been an outstanding opening partnership under pressure!

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 07:48 AM
There was a Daily Star report at the eve of the Test about how Javed Omar was dropped unfairly and made the trip to NZ for nothing. In that report, one of the selectors (Akram Khan) mentioned that they decided to drop JO on the insistence of Coach Siddons. So yes I think Coach Siddons is vindicated through the performance of Big Z and this thread is appropriately named!

Big Z is still young, will learn from these experiences, and can only get better Inshallah! With Tamim firing on the other end, this is early indication that our opener problem has been solved. Even if they don't reach their hundreds, both openers deserve credit for what has been an outstanding opening partnership under pressure!

Utpol Shubro's thinly veiled attacks in Prothom Alo and Ata's whining BS on SAB were also good examples of too much matobbori WAY too early in the game. Utpol has lost the HaBa advocay battle and was trying to find a new cause: leading the Golla Brigade and all those who buy into the myth we've put up with for too long. Or was it just pechhone laga? The less said about a token Bangladeshi commentator who does nothing but parrot and overstate the obvious with the mike, or doesn't consider it important to speak grammatically correct English, the better.

Great to see a meat-and-potatoes PROFESSIONAL like Coach Siddons doing what he must. Kudos to the BOSS (NOI Dr. Z ... :D). He and his decisions have my prayers and full support as do our boys. Keep awn vindicatin' !

israr
January 5, 2008, 07:55 AM
For the first time I see a coach who has the same mindset(almost, if not) like most of us here in BC.
I already said it before, when Dave came, we started competing and winning ODIs.
Now under Siddons, we'll start competing and winning tests.

Just wait and watch. The actual drama is yet to unfold!

BanCricFan
January 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
Sohel bro, I know Athar's remarks about Big Z's inclusion was over the top and very annoying but I think we should not be over critical about this. Athar (as a comm) is the best we got- lets not forget it! I can tell you Athar is one of the most passionate supporter of BD cricket and he is very knowledgable about players and the game. Admittedly, he has got it totally wrong about Z...but hey, to err is human!

BTW. I dont mind his non-grammatical Engelisch. AFAIK, he lived all his life in BD unlike many of us here. And I'll take Athar over a Rameez, Aamir and a Botham any day!

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 10:27 AM
Sohel bro, I know Athar's remarks about Big Z's inclusion was over the top and very annoying but I think we should not be over critical about this. Athar (as a comm) is the best we got- lets not forget it! I can tell you Athar is one of the most passionate supporter of BD cricket and he is very knowledgable about players and the game. Admittedly, he has got it totally wrong about Z...but hey, to err is human!

BTW. I dont mind his non-grammatical Engelisch. AFAIK, he lived all his life in BD unlike many of us here. And I'll take Athar over a Rameez, Aamir and a Botham any day!

I see what your saying bro, but I do feel we could do better with commentators who can represent us better. Raquibul Hasan, Shakil Kasem, Nannu and Bulbul are are interesting and savant folks who can do that in correct English without shamelessly pushing forth their own little I-so-rock agenda. I know of Ata well enough say this.

Agree with you on Aamir and Ramiz BTW, but don't wanna replace a couple of idiots with a, well you fill in the blank ... :)

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 10:30 AM
Athar is miles ahead of other potential Bangladeshi commentators. Period.

He understands the game, has the passion and stands tall whenever Bangladesh is attacked on and off the air.

Like every other commentators, he has his own opinion and I don't see any reason to vilify him.

Ejaj
January 5, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think Shamim is the best regarding commentry. His knowledge about the game isnt that inferior to Athar.

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 10:39 AM
I think Shamim is the best regarding commentry. His knowledge about the game isnt that inferior to Athar.

The problem is whenever he takes the mic Bangladesh loses a wicket or gets punished by the opposition batsmen. :)

Jokes aside.. he never played the game and lacks some basic technical understanding.

Ejaj
January 5, 2008, 10:49 AM
I think Shamim did play for Mohamedan in early 80's. However, yes, he was nothing compared to Athar as far as playing the game is concerned.

Zobair
January 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
Tehsin bhai, I am afraid you are right. He is a nice man, a family man, good fella to hang with... A sentiment that a good journalist should not concern themselves with when opining about the greater good of the team.

I sincerely hope Mr. Omar has arranged for an alternative livelihood. Surely with his very limited abilities he would have been anticipating this day to arrive - the day when there will be just too many overwhelmingly superior batsmen for him to find a place in the starting XI in any form of the game.

One reason the Journos could be in favor of JO is because the guy is very personable. The point there, they were probably speaking from an emotional standpoint.

BanCricFan
January 5, 2008, 11:10 AM

He understands the game, has the passion and stands tall whenever Bangladesh is attacked on and off the air.

Like every other commentators, he has his own opinion and I don't see any reason to vilify him.

Well put. I would say the exact same.

BanCricFan
January 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
I see what your saying bro, but I do feel we could do better with commentators who can represent us better. Raquibul Hasan, Shakil Kasem, Nannu and Bulbul are are interesting and savant folks who can do that in correct English without shamelessly pushing forth their own little I-so-rock agenda. I know of Ata well enough say this.

This is soo freakin over the top, bro. Too much hate!

You want Raqibul Hasan as a comm...now, thats a thought!!!

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
January 5, 2008, 11:24 AM

Asif Bhai 10000 post er congratulation.........all da best for future.

proxdj
January 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
most you are a bandwagon fans... one good inning and you write all star next to Big Z... then he fails in couple of innings and you crusify him.

Aside from Ashraf and Tamim... every other batsman need to prove themselves consistantly

riad
January 5, 2008, 11:46 AM
Raqibul Hasan ......:D ....for his english......I might be missing something or U!:shh:

This is soo freakin over the top, bro. Too much hate!

You want Raqibul Hasan as a comm...now, thats a thought!!!

riad
January 5, 2008, 11:49 AM
too much negativity man!
I try to understand your skepticism but lets congratulate BD team for a good day ......
we never wait to bash them for bad days they had.....
This is our team.:flag:

eto lafalafi kisher bujlam na.. bd ki ek match kheila hero hoye gelo?

ekta jinsh shobshomoy mone rakhte hobe.. je kuno jinsh zero theke hero hoi abar hero theke zero hoi.zunayed, tamim ajke valo khelche. kalke kharap khelte pare. amra siddons ke thank u dei.. pore dholai dite hote pare. amra thank u, appreciate korbo jokhon bd team tana shera khela ta dekhabe.. so wait and see

Tigers_eye
January 5, 2008, 12:24 PM
Vindicated or not I don't know. But a Congratulations is in order for having a vision and being firm on decision making. I will ride with you (JS) no matter what.

(folks remember, how Chappel clashed with the selectors on Dada and others. Same with Bob Woolmer on Shoaib, Abdul Razzaq etc. English, SA, and WI also had similar issues in the past. Hope our selectors would not bend on pressure by the Journalists and agree with him. Everyone has to be in the same page in order to move forward.)

FagunerAgun
January 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
I like his bowling arrangement on granite stones for BD batsmen, which is new and innovative.
Hopefully, few more innovations and motivation will give the team a positive direction.

One World
January 5, 2008, 12:56 PM

I still remember his comment on Aftab's six off Gillespi in Cardiff
"Take That Australia". Pretty Amaturish but lots of blood.

:cool:

One World
January 5, 2008, 12:58 PM
Siddons was constantly pointing towards the longer version and he almost took it as a challenge to accomplish this upheaval task for BD to improve our performances in the classic form of cricket. It looks like he is well ahead in this game and already crossed the initial milestone ... :bravo:

Fortuner
January 5, 2008, 01:45 PM
thanks to siddons for giving priority to d young guns in opening coz odawise our selectrs wld stick to jo and sn....
gud move by d coach....

Kabir
January 5, 2008, 01:47 PM
I still remember his comment on Aftab's six off Gillespi in Cardiff
"Take That Australia". Pretty Amaturish but lots of blood.

:cool:

I actually found this one of his best comments.

Under those circumstances, where Australia was playing to win...7 off 6 balls required...and Aftab shattered that with the 6 off the first ball. IMO, that was the right thing to say at that time :)

AsifTheManRahman
January 5, 2008, 02:12 PM
Until someone else comes up, we'll have to stick to Atahar. He's our JO when it comes to commentary.

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 02:19 PM
Until someone else comes up, we'll have to stick to Atahar. He's our JO when it comes to commentary.

Noooooooooo.........

He is way better. :)

taklima_naj
January 5, 2008, 02:23 PM

agreed, may be amra bangalira kaj nai to khoi vaji.

BD Tigers
January 5, 2008, 02:37 PM
from coach siddons to athar's commentary...kothar jol kothai gorai...:D

Piranha
January 5, 2008, 02:57 PM
Guys, keep in mind that we are still 70 odd runs from *avoiding an innings defeat*. An ignominious defeat is still on the cards. Lets not get carried away by just one good partnership.

al Furqaan
January 5, 2008, 03:04 PM
Guys, keep in mind that we are still 70 odd runs from *avoiding an innings defeat*. An ignominious defeat is still on the cards. Lets not get carried away by just one good partnership.

innings defeat won't happen. i can assure that.

but we'll still lose, because to win we have to set a target of 300, which means we have to score 520. won't happen unless...

al Furqaan
January 5, 2008, 03:04 PM
good to have you back, piranha...

Spitfire_x86
January 5, 2008, 03:06 PM
Noooooooooo.........

He is way better. :)
He represents Bangladesh in the commentary box, apart from that there's nothing special about his commentary.

He's good only in [বাংলা]নাই মামার চেয়ে কানা মামা ভালো[/বাংলা] sense.

Nafi
January 5, 2008, 03:41 PM
The problem is whenever he takes the mic Bangladesh loses a wicket or gets punished by the opposition batsmen. :)

Jokes aside.. he never played the game and lacks some basic technical understanding.

He had an ODI average of 30 and was an established test opener

Navarene
January 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
Where have you been bro? We missed your posts.

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
He had an ODI average of 30 and was an established test opener

We were talking about Shamim Ashraf Choudhury. You probably mixed it with someone else.

Spitfire_x86
January 5, 2008, 04:36 PM
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1995/jobu8.png

tiger_omar
January 5, 2008, 04:37 PM

I'll second that opinion. It is soo annoying to listen to Rameez Raja and Aamir Sohel just mumble about nothing most of the time. Sometimes I just mute my television when I hear them commentating during a match.

Spitfire_x86
January 5, 2008, 04:42 PM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8083/siddonstoprothomalolp1.png

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
Good digs Spitty, thanks.

Last word on the commentator issue, both Raquibul and Bulbul did a lot of it during BTV's coverage of the NCL and they were very good. Bulbul was excellent and not just because he was sharing the mike with bauttolar kobi KBM and jatrar nayok CJS.

Dur-daaanto bowling, chole gyalo shimanar baireyy.

Tehsin
January 5, 2008, 11:23 PM
As some of us mentioned over and over again - We (the fans and the players) should be in it for the LONG haul. Being excited about a good performance is only natural. However, one good innings and talking about World domination is only prescription for huge dissapointments, not to mention that it is unreal expectations. :)

JS was definitely vindicated in his choices. However, the actual test lies with our players. Going from 148 not out to 254 all out meant we ended up playing worse on day three then day one. Atleast we scored 137 runs in the first innings. Take out the first wicket partnership for the second innings and we have (254-161) 93 all out. Sound familiar ?

djnaved
January 6, 2008, 12:44 AM
well what i think is that if jimmi siddons had failed to make bangladesh a competitive team in two years. then no other coach around the world would take the job. bd players should have to work hard with jimmi siddons now.. a long-long way to go.

abu2abu
January 7, 2008, 03:00 PM

I like athar too. One thing I will say about him (and it's not necessarily a criticism) is that he pronounces names like a pakistani.

For example he calls Aftab Ahmed (where a bengali would emphasis the "h" and perhaps change the to an "a", so "ahmod") "aftab Emed".

This is a very pakistani thing to do (like prounouncing "Rahman" as "Reman") and I can't understand why he does it...

Zunaid
January 11, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hmmm... T2D1

"<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">Aftab Ahmed (http://content-www.cricinfo.com/nzvbdesh/content/current/player/56266.html)</td> <td width="246">not out</td> <td align="right">25</td> <td align="right">108</td> <td align="right">73</td> <td align="right">4</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">34.24</td></tr></tbody></table>"

Siddons on Aftab:

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --> Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255);"> "Unless there is a secret weapon somewhere that I know about then I don't see any point in making changes after just one Test match. He made 53 runs the other day. He is the only batter to have made a fifty outside the two openers and Ashraful obviously. I've got faith in him and I think he'll be all right. If he's not, then we'll make changes down the track," said Siddons </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

Navarene
January 11, 2008, 11:53 PM
This is a very pakistani thing to do (like prounouncing "Rahman" as "Reman") and I can't understand why he does it...
Because he comes from a urdu speaking family. Golla too.

uss01
January 12, 2008, 11:49 AM
yeah well his background consists of pakistani origins, that's probably why.

I like athar too. One thing I will say about him (and it's not necessarily a criticism) is that he pronounces names like a pakistani.

For example he calls Aftab Ahmed (where a bengali would emphasis the "h" and perhaps change the to an "a", so "ahmod") "aftab Emed".

BANFAN
January 12, 2008, 01:08 PM
yeah well his background consists of pakistani origins, that's probably why.

Without undemining him, i have to say that he is one of the biggest copy masters I have ever seen. Most of the time he will just repeat / emphasise the point said by other commentator and he has very skill fully memoised a few sentences from other commentators from old videos, and he just repeats that.

He tries to speak hindi/urdu with the ind/pak commentatos, I have seen him volunteering to speak hindi in one of Gautam Vimani interviews, even he was asking in english. This may be to impress them to confirm/expand his career in the commentry.

However, He is our shobedhon nilmoni, the only commentator.

But if someone could advise him to make some of his own expressions and memorise it, because it sometimes sounds very odd, when I hear some specific words to many times, which are generally used by a particular commentator.

Though nothing is tade maked, but sounds odd. Yet go on Atahar Ali

Sohel
January 12, 2008, 09:44 PM
Looks like the Shakib decision worked also for this wicket ... :)