PDA

View Full Version : Light at the end of the tunnel

DJ Sahastra
January 5, 2008, 12:16 AM
What can i say - it is pure joy to watch these new and inexprienced kids play so well. Sheer bliss!

Sometimes ago, i had advocated that Tamim should be played as an opener in Tests. I know that i wasn't the only one, there were many other too who felt the same way - but it sure feels good to be vindicated. Top notch effort - whatever chances he gave should take absolutely nothing away - he deserves all the luck. And no amount of praise is enough for the manner in which he took the attack to the kiwis and knocked them into submission which was so very evident from their frustrated looks - it might well be the tonic that BD team had been waiting for quite sometime.

And no words can describe this kid on the way to his stardom - Junayed. I remember Sohel Non-Resident posting some rave reviews of him from his observations based on some matches from the domestic tournament. Going by the eloquent description, i could make out that this kid seemed to have something special. Whether he would be able to realise that special thingy was the only question - and that question has been answered superbly and authoritatively. He is young, technically equipped and is definitely a prospect, and a very healthy prospect at that, for quite some time to come.

This innings may well mark the homecoming of a team that has been lost in the plethora of underachievement to the extent of been dubbed a lost cause - with due apologies for bangla fans who may feel offended. Many sceptics will point at how the team has shot itself on its foot from some similar situatuons, but this inning is different for the manner in which totally adverse situation has been answered. There have been exceptional individual contributions, a la Ashraful or a la Bashar, but I don't recall when was the last time that two debudants or totally inexperienced members of the for BD team took the responsibility of standing tall and firm and delivered on that responsibility. The approach of these youngsters should rub the seniors in a healthy way.

So far, it is a job only a quarter done but that is a big leap for a team that usually fails to reach the quarter-mark more often than not. If their performance can inspire the seniior members of the team, then this match will be the defining moment in BD cricket history. Nonetheless, these youngsters have done themselves and their team proud. If they can play a little more sensibly tomorrow, they will take that pride to a new levels seldom seen in Bangla innings. That, IMO, will be turning a new leaf - that is as much as i hope for and that is my best wishes for these men in green.

Well played.

al Furqaan
January 5, 2008, 12:19 AM
there has been light many a time before, only to slip into yet another black hole...but it is my belief that things will change...slowly.

i am still awaiting the middle order collapse.

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 12:20 AM
DJ,

Thanks for your great support of our cricket. You have a brother right here amongst many.

You rock ... :)

AsifTheManRahman
January 5, 2008, 12:21 AM
there has been light many a time before, only to slip into yet another black hole...but it is my belief that things will change...slowly.

Well things have begun to change already, and slowly at that. Remember our last tour in New Zealand?

Kabir
January 5, 2008, 12:22 AM

The key word - slowly.

The key fear - middle-order collapse.
Sooner or later, that will happen. We can't hope that things will change overnight. I mentioned earlier today that I'm happy with the few smiles that these guys put on my face once in a while. I know things will change...and am ready to wait :)

lamisa
January 5, 2008, 12:24 AM
CONGRATZ BOYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sajid,Zunaed nd Tamim all provd demselvez in der debut.i hope both tamim nd zunaed score 100 nd da middle order click 2.
JOY BANGLA

pial
January 5, 2008, 12:26 AM

Fully agree with you. However as a supporter we can alsways wish the best.

al Furqaan
January 5, 2008, 12:27 AM
Well things have begun to change already, and slowly at that. Remember our last tour in New Zealand?

nope, don't remember...wasn't a cricket fan then. i was the typical ABCD.

BanCricFan
January 5, 2008, 12:31 AM
Dj,

Hope you have enough opportunities to right these beautiful words over and over again!

The beginning of a new true dawn it is!

DJ Sahastra
January 5, 2008, 12:58 AM

That is an unnecessary pessimism.

For now, I am banking on these two to continue from where they left. Middle order can wait.

Beamer
January 5, 2008, 01:41 AM
Right on DJ bro. Great post.

karimjay.
January 5, 2008, 03:30 AM
But who could judge that the boy who was attempting to belt everything with an uppish cover drive would soon have the temperament to play such an innings like we've seen today..

tiger_omar
January 5, 2008, 04:15 AM
But who could judge that the boy who was attempting to belt everything with an uppish cover drive would soon have the temperament to play such an innings like we've seen today..

Exactly... That was the fear that many fans had about Tamim and the main reason that not everybody was sure about his inclusion on the Test squad before this series started.

But wow, he has changed his demeanor in such a short period of time but still being aggressive. Hopefully he'll mature and be consistent along with Juanaid as well.

cricket_king
January 5, 2008, 05:23 AM
Heart-warming article that. Thank you DJ. I too, felt that Tamim should have opened in tests. He seemed perfect for the spot, as he can't really find gaps, but hits the ball pretty damn well. Staying at the crease would get him runs, and he seems to be embracing the chance to play in tough conditions. Junaid took on the pressure and proved Siddon right. Great to see these young lads fighting it out.

nahaz
January 5, 2008, 05:37 AM
I definitely see light..The debutants can inspire the rest to do sth special..I think giving NZ a reasonable target to chase in the 4th innings (260-300) is not that impossible now..if they can do that , who knows. Hope they'll both get centuries....this way in future they won't think getting 100 is that hard....coz it isn't:P. I want to see the openers play sensibly tomorrow as well...then we'll know they're the comrades Ash has been waiting for, to make us one of the trickiest teams to face in tests

kalpurush
January 5, 2008, 05:55 AM
[বাংলা]"The sun came out and Bangladesh has burst into flowers"[/বাংলা]

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 06:26 AM
Good post DJ.

If they can play a little more sensibly tomorrow, they will take that pride to a new levels seldom seen in Bangla innings. That, IMO, will be turning a new leaf - that is as much as i hope for and that is my best wishes for these men in green.

That's the biggest challenge, can we take the game to the next level?

Eagerly waiting.....:)

lamisa
January 5, 2008, 07:49 AM
but my question iz,can da middle order click??????

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
but my question iz,can da middle order click??????

Let's cross that bridge when we get there ... :) I hope we don't HAVE to too soon ... :fingers cossed:

rubel_18
January 5, 2008, 08:41 AM
Let's cross that bridge when we get there ... :) I hope we don't HAVE to too soon ... :fingers cossed:

Yes, I agree with u on dat 100%. Hopefully the openers wnt be out until at least arnd 250 :D

Protic
January 5, 2008, 08:42 AM
Well..ive been followin bd cricket for a long time.. one thing i KNOW is that they play on confidence.. most of the times.. so the confidence is quite high now.. Middle order should click..atleast one of aftab,ash,bash,sn should get a 100.. ( after tamim and zunaids 100 inshallah )

Mohiul
January 5, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks DJ bro.

FagunerAgun
January 5, 2008, 09:48 AM

I agree...if there is no typical BD middle order collopse, then this will be a good innings.

Shobha
January 5, 2008, 10:02 AM
EVERYBODY HAD SAID THAT AFTER ASH, T AND Z ARE THE NEXT BIG THING SO IT'S GREAT TO SEE THEM DO WELL.GIVES PEOPLE LIKE US HOPE/HAPPINESS/JOY...I CAN GO ON. BUT LETS NOT GET OVER EXCITED(not that anyone is) AS ANYTING COULD HAPPEN, YOU KNOW, ONCE ONE OF THEM GOES YOU KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN( the rest would follw like idiots)

Ejaj
January 5, 2008, 10:40 AM
I was particularly impressed with Sajid. He can swing the ball both ways and have a decent 130 KM speed. He can soon be our third seamer along with Mash, Rajib and Russel.
I am also looking for Dollar Mahmud who is also a 130 KM bowler and has been known to swing both ways. Future looks better in the pace dept.