PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant stuff from Tamim and Junaed

Shartaz
January 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
Tamim and Junead did great justice not only to their bright talents but also to the team.
End of day to Bangladesh stands at 148/0 with Tamim on 72 and Junaed on 68.
Their level of confidence and play was so good they hardly looked liked inexperienced debutants.
But no reason to get extra euphoric coz theres still quite more to do if we want to remain competitive in the game as we still trail by 72.
IM0 if we can get to about 450-470 which might be probable we can set them a target in the vicinity of 250 - 300 and have a go.

None the less with was an superlative fightback, which is sure to make everyone smil.

scoilaheez
January 5, 2008, 12:28 AM
All the JO supporters take note, we need players who can do more than just see off the new ball. Players who can score 70+ are the type of players who we should include in our test team. JO has provided great service to our team over the years but our future is bright and if we callously let go of Pilot and Rafique then why not Golla.

Navarene
January 5, 2008, 12:30 AM
All the JO supporters take note, we need players who can do more than just see off the new ball. Players who can score 70+ are the type of players who we should include in our test team. JO has provided great service to our team over the years but our future is bright and if we callously let go of Pilot and Rafique then why not Golla.
Spot on!

AsifTheManRahman
January 5, 2008, 01:14 AM
This was special. Truly special.

Two debutants, one of them even at the brink of getting the chop at the beginning of the tour. He starts off with a 50 in the test series to compliment his good run from day 1 of the tour. The other guy does what most Bangladeshi batsmen would do at a test match - gifts his wicket away by fishing outside the off. The team gets bundled out for 137.

And what do they do in the second inning, carrying a deficit in excess of 200 on their backs? They rotate; not the strike, but the authority. When one goes crazy, the other tones down, and that pretty much sums up this partnership so far. When one goes for the shots, the other backs him up by holding on to one end. They get behind the good ones and defend with no gap between bat and pad, keeping everything on the ground. When confronted with a bad one, they don't hesitate to dispatch it, and boy oh boy do they do it in style.

This has been a perfect test partnership. The only thing that they could have done better was to rotate the strike more often, but everything else that should be there in a test partnership was there. They attacked at the beginning at toned down when the end was near.

An 18 y/o and a 19 y/o. Hope they can score big hundreds tomorrow.

Ten grand :)

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 01:16 AM
This was special. Truly special.

Two debutants, one of them even at the brink of getting the chop at the beginning of the tour. He starts off with a 50 in the test series to compliment his good run from day 1 of the tour. The other guy does what most Bangladeshi batsmen would do at a test match - gifts his wicket away by fishing outside the off. The team gets bundled out for 137.

And what do they do in the second inning, carrying a deficit in excess of 200 on their backs? They rotate; not the strike, but the authority. When one goes crazy, the other tones down, and that pretty much sums up this partnership so far. When one goes for the shots, the other backs him up by holding on to one end. They get behind the good ones and defend with no gap between bat and pad, keeping everything on the ground. When confronted with a bad one, they don't hesitate to dispatch it, and boy oh boy do they do it in style.

This has been a perfect test partnership. The only thing that they could have done better was to rotate the strike more often, but everything else that should be there in a test partnership was there. They attacked at the beginning at toned down when the end was near.

An 18 y/o and a 19 y/o. Hope they can score big hundreds tomorrow.

Ten grand :)

It is done. You are indeed THE MAN ... :)

Zunaid
January 5, 2008, 01:17 AM
It is done. You are indeed THE MAN ... :)

Yes. Do note his new appellation - after the Moderator title.

Sohel
January 5, 2008, 01:19 AM
Yes. Do note his new appellation - after the Moderator title.

Crisp and direct, great new title thukku appellation ... :up:

Tintin
January 5, 2008, 04:32 AM
* Highest opening stand against New Zealand, previous best 39 Al Sahariar & Omar, Hamilton 2001-2
* Highest between two BD left handers. The previous best appears to be 43(10th wkt) between Manjural and Manjural at Harare, 2003-04
* Highest stand in New Zealand, previous best - 60(3) Aminul & Bashar, Hamilton, 2001-2
* Highest stand against New Zealand, previous best 115 (4), Ashraful & Rajin, Dhaka, 2004-05
* Highest stand outside the subcontinent, previous best 121(2), Bashar & Omar, Gros Islet, 2004
* Highest opening stand, previous best 133, Omar & Nafees, v Zim, Dhaka, 2004-5
* Fourth highest stand for any wicket, top 2 - 191(6), Ashraful & Mushfiqur Colombo 2007, 187 (2), Shahriar Nafees & Bashar, Fataullah, 2006 & 167(2) Bashar & Omar, Peshawar, 2003
* Third highest stand in history between two debutants - top 2 - 249(1), Khalid Ibadulla (166) & Abdul Kadir, Pak v Aus, Karachi, 1964-5 (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/27/27124.html) & 165 (6) Houghton & Flower, Zimbabwe's first Test 1992-3 (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/56/56536.html)
* Second time two debutants have scored 50s for BD. Previous Aminul 145 and Bashar 71 in the first ever Test
* Tamim is the second Bangladeshi to score fifties in both innings on debut, Omar 62 & 85* was the first. 13 players have scored a 100 & 50 on debut.

On the way :

* There is only one occasion when two debutants from the same side scored 100s - Azhar Mahmood & Ali Naqvi in 1997/8 (there is one more involving debutants from opposite sides).
* The highest opening stand between two left handers is 273 between Strauss & Trescothick at Durban in Dec 2004

nahaz
January 5, 2008, 05:54 AM
Wow!they've broken a few major records beating a few legends..I think they CAN definitely break the 2nd highest debutant opening record of 166, but you think they can pass 200 and maybe 250? That would be some debut...thnx for that Tintin

Moshin
January 5, 2008, 05:58 AM
Yes atlast they have finnaly made us proud in this tour, well done to Tamim Iqbal he has been excellent in this tour, by the way I was suprised Zunaed was still there with him, really surprised. Come on Bangladesh!

nahaz
January 5, 2008, 06:00 AM
Oh ..I see the partnership of 249 was broken by Abdul Kadir getting run out on 95, now that funny!

roi
January 5, 2008, 06:01 AM
Today's effort was good. But we supports are reacting too much. Scoring 70+ at debue is difficult but far more difficult is to maintan consistancy. I rather seat back and have a look on these 2 how they perform in coming 5 tests.
There are lots of telent in BD team but...all we need is performamce.
Better hold your horce........

nahaz
January 5, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hey one thing is for certain...tellingTamim that he won't be in the team if hedidn't perform is what got him here today..his success today is partly due to the criticism some of us and some reporters have dished out at him in the past...but once again, congrats Tamim

Miraz
January 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks Tintin.

I think it's the time to open our "Ask Tintin" thread. :)

BD-BLAST
January 5, 2008, 06:42 AM
* Highest opening stand against New Zealand, previous best 39 Al Sahariar & Omar, Hamilton 2001-2
* Highest between two BD left handers. The previous best appears to be 43(10th wkt) between Manjural and Manjural at Harare, 2003-04
* Highest stand in New Zealand, previous best - 60(3) Aminul & Bashar, Hamilton, 2001-2
* Highest stand against New Zealand, previous best 115 (4), Ashraful & Rajin, Dhaka, 2004-05
* Highest stand outside the subcontinent, previous best 121(2), Bashar & Omar, Gros Islet, 2004
* Highest opening stand, previous best 133, Omar & Nafees, v Zim, Dhaka, 2004-5
* Third highest stand for any wicket, top 2 - 191(6), Ashraful & Mushfiqur Colombo 2007 & 167(2) Bashar & Omar, Peshawar, 2003
* Third highest stand in history between two debutants - top 2 - 249(1), Khalid Ibadulla (166) & Abdul Kadir, Pak v Aus, Karachi, 1964-5 (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/27/27124.html) & 165 (1) Houghton & Flower, Zimbabwe's first Test 1992-3 (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/56/56536.html)
* Second time two debutants have scored 50s for BD. Previous Aminul 145 and Bashar 71 in the first ever Test
* Tamim is the second Bangladeshi to score fifties in both innings on debut, Omar 62 & 85* was the first. 13 players have scored a 100 & 50 on debut.

On the way :

* There is only one occasion when two debutants from the same side scored 100s - Azhar Mahmood & Ali Naqvi in 1997/8 (there is one more involving debutants from opposite sides).
* The highest opening stand between two left handers is 273 between Strauss & Trescothick at Durban in Dec 2004

Great Research, you should apply to take over S.Rajesh's job at cricinfo if all of that was done by you

cricket_pagol
January 5, 2008, 06:46 AM
Tamim and zunaed played amazing cricket. I always knew that Zunaed had the talent but but the way Tamim has matured in the last couple of months is really impressive. I think he will mature even further. I have never seen a bangladeshi batsmen improve so much in such a short span of time...

Bengaliprince176
January 5, 2008, 07:01 AM
Fantastic!! great fightback by the two young openers!! i was going to reopen the thread where i commented that Tamim wasnt ready for tests..and do a "whoops" emoticon!! lol he has proved me wrong and im very happy that he has!! thankfully i cant find the thread :smug: hehehe.

Now Bangladesh have been set up perfectly, they know what they have to do, still plenty of time left! GO BANGLADESH!! :flag:

kaisermatin
January 5, 2008, 07:19 AM
good to see you supporting bangladesh team. past scores/records are past. forget it! this will not help the team. today starts anew. yes they are young and have some positive attitude towards the game.

lamisa
January 5, 2008, 07:44 AM
do u guyz thnk dat both can reach triple figures?

rubel_18
January 5, 2008, 07:44 AM
Fantastic!! great fightback by the two young openers!! i was going to reopen the thread where i commented that Tamim wasnt ready for tests..and do a "whoops" emoticon!! lol he has proved me wrong and im very happy that he has!! thankfully i cant find the thread :smug: hehehe.

Now Bangladesh have been set up perfectly, they know what they have to do, still plenty of time left! GO BANGLADESH!! :flag:

Well as long as they prove ppl wrong I am hppy so no wrys Bengaliprince...lol, Inshallah I hope they can create a good target for NZ so they hav to bat agen and make the Test match last more longer.

oporajeyo_bangla
January 5, 2008, 07:49 AM
I was periodically checking cricinfo and not getting my hopes up. I was expecting to see someone out. This has happened time and again with our BD team so I try not to get my hopes too high. But looking at the score at stumps, this is one of the very rare occasions I was genuinely happy at the Test score of a BD team! Both openers deserve kudos for their efforts.

Our younger generation is well set and the future of Bangladesh cricket is bright Inshallah!

oporajeyo_bangla
January 5, 2008, 07:50 AM
do u guyz thnk dat both can reach triple figures?

Even if they don't, I am really proud of them!

But who knows, if they can negotiate the morning conditions tomorrow, anything is possible!

BD-Shardul
January 5, 2008, 08:31 AM
At the moment test batting average for our openers:

Tamim Iqbal 125.00
Zunaed Siddique 70.00

The more time you remain not out, the more you boost your avg. Take this opportunity guys. :D :D :-D :-D

proxdj
January 5, 2008, 09:07 AM
We wont the battle in day 2 but the war continues. These guys need to carry on and play smart cricket. We are still looking for consistent innings... it may take time

Shobha
January 5, 2008, 09:12 AM
Earlier when they dismissd newzealand, i had said "lets's hope tamim and zunaid stay on the pitch until stumps". i didnt say this becuase i thought that's what will happen, i said to keep hope alive within the members and keep the momentum going. HOWEVER i did go to sleep after nz innings and woke up to see my predicton came true.WTG boys!!!!:)

Murad
January 5, 2008, 12:46 PM
If they both can make century today, it will be a world record that two debudants making century in the same match. No other team has done that. India was close to the record when Ganguly & Dravid debuted. Dravid fell few runs short of his 100 on debut.

AsifTheManRahman
January 5, 2008, 01:00 PM
Great Research, you should apply to take over S.Rajesh's job at cricinfo if all of that was done by you

Tintin's the resident statistician here, but has toned down over the years. A few years ago, you'd see posts like these in abundance.

Shobha
January 5, 2008, 01:05 PM
If they both can make century today, it will be a world record that two debudants making century in the same match. No other team has done that. India was close to the record when Ganguly & Dravid debuted. Dravid fell few runs short of his 100 on debut.

fingers crossed:)

Shartaz
January 5, 2008, 06:22 PM
Man, they could easily have got their centuries but lapses in concentration did them both, no centuries for now. But I think we have found to solid openers. The move to get rid of the stagnant and stoic Javed omar has payed dividence

Murad
January 5, 2008, 06:25 PM
fingers crossed:)

Fingers are not crossed.

THey both are out......before getting the century...