PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan on Bangladesh players

Cricketislife!
October 22, 2003, 06:57 AM
Anatomy of an underdog

John Buchanan

Whipping boys or wannabes? Australia's coach John Buchanan dissects England's latest opponents

Most Test teams would expect to beat Bangladesh, and beat them comfortably. When Australia played two Tests against them at Darwin and Cairns back in July, that was of course the case. That series gave me plenty of time to dissect the Bangladesh team. They are more widely known for their weaknesses than their strengths, but they have more than their statistics suggest.

More at
http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/OCT/364708_WCI_20OCT2003.html

chinaman
October 22, 2003, 07:14 AM
Looks like he is up for Dav's job. :lol:

Arnab
October 22, 2003, 12:05 PM
Eight things you didn't know about Bangladesh

1 Bangladesh's national sport is Kabaddi something you may already have known if you were a student in the 1990s, when Channel 4 used to screen it as part of their daytime programming. Two teams battle against each other in a field by capturing members of the opposing team, but the raider who enters the oppostion's half has to prove that he's not taking any breath in by continuously chanting "Kabaddi-kabaddi".

2 It is possible for children as young as 15 to be jailed for cheating in their exams.

3 If someone offers to buy you lunch in Bangladesh, don't give them the thumbs-up sign. That's an indication of rejection.

4 The country's sea-gypsy tribes use trained otters to catch fish.

5 During the Commonwealth Games in Manchester last year, Bangladesh had to withdraw from the 100m relay after the entire team disappeared from their camp.

6 Everyone is known by the nickname given by their mothers to protect them from the devil. These names are typically aspirational: Mahmud is called Sujon (good person), Bashar is Shumon (good mind), and Mashud is Pilot.

7 The worst sledge you can give a Bangladeshi is to call him a "Shaala" (brother-in-law). Even worse than calling him a "son of a dog". No, no-one knows why.

8 Bangladesh has the world's longest natural sea beach (almost 80 miles long), Cox's Bazar, at its southern tip.

Haha. Shalay spygiri bhaloi korse.

reinausagi
October 22, 2003, 12:17 PM
Facsinating article. I didn't know 15 year olds could be jailed for cheating on exams or, that we had 'sea-gypsies' using trained otters to catch fish...

Ehsan
October 22, 2003, 12:23 PM
3 If someone offers to buy you lunch in Bangladesh, don't give them the thumbs-up sign. That's an indication of rejection.

Where the hell did they got it? I never knew this, but there is something called 'thaenga' but its gesture is different from Thumbs-up.

billah
October 22, 2003, 01:29 PM
Everyone is known by their nicknames, true, but, not always given by their mothers. "To protect them from the devil" is just misinformation.

pagol-chagol
October 22, 2003, 01:49 PM
some wrong info. But really funny. and interesting.

Arnab
October 22, 2003, 01:53 PM
I don't have a nickname. What blasphemy!

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Arnab]

Upal
October 22, 2003, 02:37 PM
yea the thumbz up means "kochu" in Bangladesh and is definitely not a good thing. I was giving my cuzinz da thumbz up in bangladesh this summer...and they told me to never to do that to a stranger!

Arnab
October 22, 2003, 02:48 PM
yep 'kochu' is the equivalent of :P in BD.

Sami
October 22, 2003, 02:55 PM
Among those 8 things I didnt know around 2-3 info... Damn....

And I dont have a nickname.... who will save me now?? And ''shala'' is not the worse thing someone can say... :duh:

It was funny though.... so damn freaking funny :D :lol:

Upal
October 22, 2003, 03:04 PM
7 The worst sledge you can give a Bangladeshi is to call him a "Shaala" (brother-in-law). Even worse than calling him a "son of a dog". No, no-one knows why.

This just goes to show you how prepared the Aussies are. They even research foreign disses to sledge the opposition :D

Arnab
October 22, 2003, 03:33 PM
I think I will laugh my a$$ off if I hear a whitey say Shala.

Maybe that's their plan after all. Distraction through comedy.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Arnab]