PDA

View Full Version : BD-NZ First Test Review: The cycle continues

Ahmed_B
January 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
1st Day story:
Psyche: A mixture of 'chhere de ma kende bachi'(from ODI 3-0) and 'dhuttori chhai ato kosto bhalo lagena'
Batting: Lack of confidence from the thrashing of 3rd ODI combined with bit or wrecklessness resulting into ugly downfall.
Bowling: Bowlers showed some grit as usual.

2nd Day story:
Psyche: Constant humiliating thrashing rubs Sault on the childish ego.. turning them into fearless arrogant kids!
Bowling: Even better than day-01.. bowlers started the fightback showing huge sense of self-respect.
Batting: Wounded ego shows huge resistance as the two debutants refuse to give up..

3rd Day story:
Psyche: A mixture of laid back attitude from complacency & shakiness of butterflies(in stomach) because of the possibility of being in controlling position in the match.
Batting: Bites the dust... as usual!
Bowling: No comments necessary.

Summery:
The New Zealanders came back well on 3rd day. They knew they had to blaze all guns.. and they did. The Tigers had to show even stronger nerves on 3rd day.. because the job was only partially done on 2nd, the major task was still to be completed. But obviously, its the mind-game where they lost... crumbling under pressure. All credits to the bowlers... for not letting this one be another innings-defeat. Because NZ was never supposed to be booked on 357!

Same old story.. same old cycle: Shattered for a few days.. tremendous fight back with hurt ego.. complacency.. taken down again to embarrassments..

Add your observations pls.. negative or positive whichever you like..

WarWolf
January 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
No comments. I am speechless.

Nafi
January 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
Take the postives, our openers showed they can bat a long innings, we finnally have an excuse to kick out haba, mashrafee is still in great form (bowling wise) and we bowled a team out, not since this has happened since memorable fatullah with the ausssies in 2006

sandpiper
January 6, 2008, 01:07 PM
You have taken the words from my mouth. :notworthy:

:waiting:
3rd Day story:
Psyche: A mixture of laid back attitude from complacency & shakiness of butterflies(in stomach) because of the possibility of being in controlling position in the match.

All credits to the bowlers... for not letting this one be another innings-defeat. Because NZ was never supposed to be booked on 357!

Same old story.. same old cycle: Shattered for a few days.. tremendous fight back with hurt ego.. complacency.. taken down again to embarrassments..

djnaved
January 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
sigh, a long-long-long-long way to go for bangladesh. John Bresswell was right " Bangladesh can compete with big teams after 10 years"

Nafi
January 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
sigh, a long-long-long-long way to go for bangladesh. John Bresswell was right " Bangladesh can compete with big teams after 10 years"

I'll shorten that to 1-3 years

BD-Shardul
January 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
I do not have broad band internet connection at home, have dial up instead. Still I sat infront of my laptop each night just to follow the play of Tigers. Doctor told me not to sit infront of my laptop for long periods, but I didn't listen. Mom give me "bokuni", but I laughed in reply. I had to go to university to work in the morning, but I didn't care. I slept just three hours each night. And the result....na bolai bhalo, kostota kom hoy. Observation koreo kisu bolte parlam na. So my new new year's resolution: Being too much obessed with BD cricket is bad for your health.

Unfortunately, I will forget my resolution as soos as the second test starts.....:(

Sincerely sorry if the reply is off topic. I BTW totally agree what AB bhai has said.

zainab
January 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
In my opinion BD performed better here than in the series against SL. ]They bowled out the whole Kiwi team and did not lose by an innings and ? runs. I am sorry that they did not even take it into the 4th day, but this is due to the fact that they bowled out NZ for less than 400 runs.Not too many players made centuries against them and notched up records, no one made double centuries, I know that they have lost,but only by wickets.
Let's hope that they have a better showing in the second test and their first innings can go past 50 overs and they can score over 250 runs.

Pundit
January 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
In my opinion BD performed better here than in the series against SL. ]They bowled out the whole Kiwi team and did not lose by an innings and ? runs. I am sorry that they did not even take it into the 4th day, but this is due to the fact that they bowled out NZ for less than 400 runs.Not too many players made centuries against them and notched up records, no one made double centuries, I know that they have lost,but only by wickets.
Let's hope that they have a better showing in the second test and their first innings can go past 50 overs and they can score over 250 runs.

Amazing, isn't it? We have one good partnership, and we lose by wickets and not by innings.

Just think of how much fun we fans can have if things improved even marginally.

Sigh!

Sohel
January 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
Another no-nonsense classic from A_B. I'm sure both A_B and JS went to the same school of diplomacy ... :)

al Furqaan
January 6, 2008, 06:56 PM
spot on pundit. one partnership (and decent bowling) was the difference between innings defeat and wicket defeat.

prior to this series i knew we would lose, my goal was to avoid innings defeat. according to that bangladesh have achieved stated target.

we feel bad because of the 161-0.

Zunaid
January 6, 2008, 07:02 PM
Another no-nonsense classic from A_B. I'm sure both A_B and JS went to the same school of diplomacy ... :)

I think the days of diplomacy and min-minani are over.

The avuncular approach of Dav was what was needed to steer us from the depths to where we were last year. I have again and again used a business analogy - Dav was the start-up CEO whose job was to get us to a point where a financible CEO can take us to the next step. Different men for different jobs.

We were not used to the professional attitudes, aggression and hard work needed to succeed at top flight. We did need Dav Mama to assuage the overly sensitive ethos of our cricketers. He was good at what he did and my thanks.

But the young 'uns coming down the pipeline are made of sterner stuff and are more used to the modern ways. That is why I was so adamant about McInnes being the one to take over from Dav. It does look like, JS is cut from the same cloth as Richard and I am hopeful. We need straight talk.

Unfortunately, most of our old guards (selectors and journos) have not moved on with the times. Hence we see calls for HB, JO et al and the melodramatic drama disguised as sports articles that are published in the local press.

Tigers_eye
January 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
first innings total 137. 1st out was on 5. So basically 10 wickets fell on 132.
second innings total 254. 1st out was on 161. So basically 10 wickets fell on 93.

Which innings we played better? That is my evaluation for the first test. How can two play against 11?

sandpiper
January 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Basically apart from that opening pair, our overall batting wasnt much different in the second innings. And the major reason for this downfall is poor shot selection (which might have resulted from lapse in concentration). But I hope those middle order batsmen will see the recording of Tamim-Zunaid partnership again to rectify their errors. This is very annoying to see the captain departing just 15/20 minutes before lunch to leave his team in disarray. Inherently I am an optimist and looking for a better show at Wellington.

:waiting:

first innings total 137. 1st out was on 5. So basically 10 wickets fell on 132.
second innings total 254. 1st out was on 161. So basically 10 wickets fell on 93.

Which innings we played better? That is my evaluation for the first test. How can two play against 11?

Sohel
January 6, 2008, 07:54 PM

The avuncular approach of Dav was what was needed to steer us from the depths to where we were last year. I have again and again used a business analogy - Dav was the start-up CEO whose job was to get us to a point where a financible CEO can take us to the next step. Different men for different jobs.

We were not used to the professional attitudes, aggression and hard work needed to succeed at top flight. We did need Dav Mama to assuage the overly sensitive ethos of our cricketers. He was good at what he did and my thanks.

But the young 'uns coming down the pipeline are made of sterner stuff and are more used to the modern ways. That is why I was so adamant about McInnes being the one to take over from Dav. It does look like, JS is cut from the same cloth as Richard and I am hopeful. We need straight talk.

Unfortunately, most of our old guards (selectors and journos) have not moved on with the times. Hence we see calls for HB, JO et al and the melodramatic drama disguised as sports articles that are published in the local press.

A truly heartwarming post. Thank you Dr. Z and I agree with everything you wrote. I'd probably add pyan-pyanani and ghyan-ghyanani also to that first sentence just to cover all the bases. I suspect we'll see more of these "nattering Nabobs of negativism" doing their egotistical dance around the awful truth, before the hard-nosed professionalism Coach Siddions has to offer continues to bear fruit in the middle ... Inshallah.

scoilaheez
January 6, 2008, 07:56 PM
It was really the first innings where we let ourselves down, the collapse was once again another worry. Siddons has to amend this habitual problem. Once Ash goes, they are all out.

DotBall
January 6, 2008, 11:53 PM
2nd Day story:
Psyche: Constant humiliating thrashing rubs Sault on the childish ego.. turning them into fearless arrogant kids!
Bowling: Even better than day-01.. bowlers started the fightback showing huge sense of self-respect.
Batting: Wounded ego shows huge resistance as the two debutants refuse to give up..

3rd Day story:

Summery:
The New Zealanders came back well on 3rd day. They knew they had to blaze all guns.. and they did. The Tigers had to show even stronger nerves on 3rd day.. because the job was only partially done on 2nd, the major task was still to be completed. But obviously, its the mind-game where they lost... crumbling under pressure. All credits to the bowlers... for not letting this one be another innings-defeat. Because NZ was never supposed to be booked on 357!

Add your observations pls.. negative or positive whichever you like..

Excellent analysis. Complacency is probably not the reason. We had very little success in international cricket to have complacency. I think once our players start playing well they get the feeling that they have already acheived their goal of playing better. At that point they get careless and more like directionless (because they have already attained their goal of playing better). They need to learn the process of finishing something (like batting until the end, bowling out the opposition, don't give up so easily, pain is part of the learning process, play to win matches for real).

Many of you might disagree with me but I think our players have very little patience and can not stomach the pain and tough periods as do most of the fans (including myself). Just think about how many players have performed well for last 5 years (don't count the one with just 2-3 years under their belt). None of them have a 30 avg on test; may be except for Bashar and latelly his form is no where to be found.

Bottom Line: cycle needs to be broken. All the players first need to come to terms with what is that they want to do and how the get there. If they don't stick with plan they will be in the cycle for years to come. We have got a good coach and BCB and players need to forget about results and focus on playing proper test cricket. ODI and 20/20 is only an extension of Test cricket.

sandpiper
January 7, 2008, 12:14 AM
Insightful analysis, DotBall :)
They need to learn the process of finishing. Quite easily they get carried away with the advent of some success and cant hold the nerve to finish off the job. Their age is also a big factor for this problem. Once they will learn to sustain the pain of pursuing till the end, they will become more competitive. Cricket is afterall a culture and it needs time to change. :notworthy:

Excellent analysis. Complacency is probably not the reason. We had very little success in international cricket to have complacency. I think once our players start playing well they get the feeling that they have already acheived their goal of playing better. At that point they get careless and more like directionless (because they have already attained their goal of playing better). They need to learn the process of finishing something (like batting until the end, bowling out the opposition, don't give up so easily, pain is part of the learning process, play to win matches for real).

Many of you might disagree with me but I think our players have very little patience and can not stomach the pain and tough periods as do most of the fans (including myself). Just think about how many players have performed well for last 5 years (don't count the one with just 2-3 years under their belt). None of them have a 30 avg on test; may be except for Bashar and latelly his form is no where to be found.

Bottom Line: cycle needs to be broken. All the players first need to come to terms with what is that they want to do and how the get there. If they don't stick with plan they will be in the cycle for years to come. We have got a good coach and BCB and players need to forget about results and focus on playing proper test cricket. ODI and 20/20 is only an extension of Test cricket.

Ahmed_B
January 7, 2008, 10:12 AM
True indeed.
Time to scrap off all the flesh of laziness and all the fats of emotional hypes and to start working with the bones that remain. Put on new flesh of consistency with a measured touch of fat only –calculated confidence and not flying dreams.

Siddons has started to show signs of boldness in assessing the team. Lets hope it shows the players their real position in achievement-scale as well.

Tigers_eye
January 7, 2008, 10:39 AM
It was really the first innings where we let ourselves down, the collapse was once again another worry. Siddons has to amend this habitual problem. Once Ash goes, they are all out.
Ash is getting better no doubt. But he is no way near where a captain should be. I strongly disagree with your "Once Ash goes, they are all out" comment. For BD team now it seems like when the openning pair goes they are all out.

akabir77
January 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
we need a performing captain and ash was never a performing player. He is our trump card when he clicks we win for sure but he doesn't click all the time so thinking that making him a captain will change that was not fruitful.
While saying this i am not sure who can be the captain...

ANyway I think this test ended in positive note. we ended the game in three days (i was afraid of 2 day test). And we found two opener for one year (yeah till now other than golla, rest keeps their form for one year). and on top i think we have a plan. I like it. Next TEST will be a TEST. but i am already looking forward to the SA one.

zainab
January 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
Ash, being the captain is not leading from the front. I hope in the second test, he achieves something.

By the way, I recently saw a 2003 world cup highlight of the match between BD and NZ and they made 198 runs even with Bond bowling. I thought it was a good showing with Ash ,making 56 runs.Here in a test match, they could only muster 137 runs and in my opinion, they have better players. Something is dreadfully wrong with this team, I dont know if Coach Siddons can do something. Seem that they cannot stand the pressure and they tumble like a pack of cards. Imagine 8 wickets for 93 runs? I am so happy to see Tamim and Junaid standing up and showing a bit of grit and common sense. Without them, this team would have crumbled again to less than 200 runs in the second innings.
Us fans are hoping for a better showing in the second test, one note of encouragement is that they bowled out the whole Kiwi team for less than 400 runs.

betaar
January 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'll shorten that to 1-3 years

Yeah shorten it however you like, but we have been hearing that for the last 5 years.:-D

BD-Shardul
January 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ann easy solution to get rid of this cycle: Remove the wheels from the cycle.

Rifat
January 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
i was pleased... we avoided innings defeat :).

i have already mentioned before somewhere in june/july, Ashraful is way underrated as a bowler, his strategy for bowling in tests is perfect! confusing the batsmen, that's the stuff, i want to see him bowl for longer spells regularly, that is if he wants to continue the brilliant work. it doesn't matter he is expensive, he makes the batsmen feel a bit complacent and then strike when the opportunity rises.

Mushfiqur Rahim... this guy doesn't realize sometimes he is more capable of doing better performances, i love this guy, but for now i am very dissapointed in him,he also doesn't realize what he contributes to the team has a huge impact in the final result, both behind and in front of the stumps.

Habibul Bashar...he is completely lost out there, if he wants to perform up to his potential i advise him to bat sensibly.

Shahriar Nafees...he needs more international exposure, no surprises for mediocre batting performances since he has been out of it for a while.

al Furqaan
January 8, 2008, 05:30 PM
lets start the plus/minus game:

positives:

- Tamim and Junaid as openers (end of Javed era)
- slip catching of Junaid
- in form mash
- rest of the bowlers all chipped in
- ash's captaincy

negatives:

- middle order batting collapses
- certain NZ players cheating
- poor umpiring in general (both for and against us)

Sohel
January 8, 2008, 05:46 PM
lets start the plus/minus game:

positives:

- Tamim and Junaid as openers (end of Javed era)
- slip catching of Junaid
- in form mash
- rest of the bowlers all chipped in
- ash's captaincy

negatives:

- certain NZ players cheating
- poor umpiring in general (both for and against us)

Positives: add Mushy's wicketkeeping.

Negatives: add loose bowling at the end of the over, usually the 6th ball. Everyone except Enam is usually guilty of this. We need to bowl in good areas consistently and wear their batsmen out.

Eshen
January 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
Positive: Addition of Sajedul to our pace attack. The pitch did not have much for a swing bowler, but Sajed still did a good job.

Negative: Aftab screwed up his return to the test side by scoring a pair.

Dhakablues
January 8, 2008, 06:20 PM
All the stats says that we are a <300 scoring team per innings. Thats our ability. Rarely have we scored more than 300 runs in an innings and took all 10 wickets. In other words, its not only the batsman that need to score, the bowlers also need to take wickets. And in reality, it doesnt take more than 3 pefomers to score 300 plus runs.

The strategy for 2nd test is easily about the middle order. Bashar needs to realize this could be his last test match, Nafis needs to overcome this annoying form slump, Mushfique needs to get rid the curse and Mashrafee/Shahadat needs to do their job. But I would also like to see Tamim/Zunaid start to take single as well to ease the pressure from themselves. They scored all the shots the 2nd day but scored very few runs from the ground. Lucky but not always will fortune favor the brave..All in all, the entire team needs to " fire up and ready to go ( for 4th day)"

al Furqaan
January 8, 2008, 09:36 PM
sohel bhai.

have no clue how i forgot to mention mushy's keeping being his biggest supporter on here. btw, where did all those "bring pilot and his crap technique and moderate keeping skills" people go??? fairweather folks...

spot on about the loose bowling at overs end. we saw mash, rajib, and sajid bowl entirely too many (.....4) or (....4.) overs. in particular rajib practically bowled that way 90 % of his overs.

eshen i included sajid's performance under (rest of the bowlers chipped in). but good inclusion of aftab in the negatives column. personally i hope to see him make amends in wellington. just one 50 will do.

Eshen
January 8, 2008, 09:57 PM
personally i hope to see him make amends in wellington. just one 50 will do.
If he gets the chance. There is a rumor that Siddons is dazed and confused by the middle order collapse in the last match (can't blame him) and is thinking about playing Rajin in place of Aftab in the next match.

Beamer
January 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
Positives: add Mushy's wicketkeeping.

Negatives: add loose bowling at the end of the over, usually the 6th ball. Everyone except Enam is usually guilty of this. We need to bowl in good areas consistently and wear their batsmen out.

Negatives : Not only this test match, but a worrying trend has developed and persisted since last few years, is the absolute inability of our tail enders to contribute anything with the bat. I know, Shahadat and Mash saved the follow on, but besides that, can't remember when as a group they have contributed. Pilot, Rafiq, Mash and Tapash made an awesome tail. We need to develop some steel into the new group of Shahadat, Mash, Rasel, Sajid etc. The last Ind-Aus match was a perfect illustration of what tail enders have to do these days. Something to ponder..