PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Pilot

oracle
October 22, 2003, 01:43 PM
Yesterday pilot had scored his maiden Test fifty and helped Bangladesh salvage a game from a scary 72 for 5 to reach a respectable 203. On this occasion I would like to take a few moments to reminisce on Pilotís contributions to Bangladesh Cricket.

Pilot has been in the Bangladesh cricket scene since 1993-94. Since then he has been the safe pair of hands for his country and because of this no second thoughts are given to include him in the squad. Pilot played 33 ODI, having a half-century as a batsman and 31 dismissals as a wicket keeper. Nothing spectacular.

But he is a survivor in a team with few veterans and that is an accomplishment indeed. Playing a vital role in Bangladesh's crucial win over Kenya in the ICC trophy, 1997, his cavalier innings contributed a lot in winning that trophy and catapulted him up for England, World Cup, 1999.

During the WC he urged his teammates on and as a stylish right-handed batsman Masud demonstrated dependability behind the stumps.

In the second innings of the Test against India, Khaled made 21 when top order batsmen of the side were failing against the Indian attack.

Every player has a low point and for Pilot it began with his captaincy. A disgraceful 3 drop catches against Kenya prompted a flood of personal allegations against him. But even after his sacking as captain he yet again came back to the side. He will continue for a while in this role until Bangladesh can find a suitable replacement. Hopefully yesterday's feat is a promise of more to come. Thank you Pilot.

:):)

Arnab
October 22, 2003, 01:51 PM
I was waiting for a post like this. I found it interesting how in the match thread, nobody mentioned pilot's role.

Pilot is our Steve Waugh.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Arnab]

billah
October 22, 2003, 04:35 PM
Does anyone remember '99 WC warm up match between BD & a county team (Sussex, I think). Pilot scored a century where he hit five 4s and seven 6s.

billah
October 22, 2003, 04:36 PM
He was also the "Man of the Series" against SL. BD did dismally, as we all know. He however, was awarded for leadership.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by billah]

Mahmood
October 22, 2003, 04:47 PM
It was against Sri Lanka.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Rajputro]

billah
October 22, 2003, 04:52 PM
Right. I meant SL. Thanks.

Orpheus
October 22, 2003, 05:59 PM
Isn't there a line that goes something like

In the land of the blinds, one-eyed man is the king

This is Pilot's FIRST half century...what the hell did he do all those other times. I just don't know how he was our hero - the savior. Savior of what? We lost all of games. Just because he added 20 extra runs .. he is the savior?

Pilot is da man sometimes, no doubt. But he no hero! I am sorry!
Pilot made around 40 runs against Australia. But no one even noticed. YOu know why? Cuz the top ordered played well. If the top ordered gotten out cheaply, then that 40 would have looked like a "savior".

I hope I was able to get my point across. It may seem a bit confusing. Oh well!

by the way: I only followed pilot after his captaincy though, so I don't know what he has done previously :) That was one of the point oracle made ...

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Orpheus]

BangladeshCricket
October 22, 2003, 05:59 PM
recalling the past when pilot and mahmud is to save us...bravo pilot...we all salute you....

paco
October 23, 2003, 10:09 AM
Does anyone remember '99 WC warm up match between BD & a county team (Sussex, I think). Pilot scored a century where he hit five 4s and seven 6s.

No, it was Sujon against Essex

Nascer
October 23, 2003, 10:35 AM
[Edited on 6-11-2004 by Nascer]