PDA

View Full Version : Mosharraf is Rafique's pick

mafizraju
January 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=45></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=newspath></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=newsdetails vAlign=top>Sports
Cricket

Mosharraf is Rafique's pick

Sports Reporter

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.thedailystar.net/photos/2008-01-08__sp02.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=osdn-navtext>Mosharraf Hossain
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Dhaka's left-arm spinner Mosharraf Hossain finished as the highest wicket-taker after his match winning six-wicket burst against Rajshahi in the tenth and final round of the 9th National cricket League at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium yesterday.

The stunning success in the last game also brought him the man-of-the match award but undoubtedly in the end what made the lanky spinner most happy was the comment of his senior teammate Mohammad Rafique.

"What I believe is that Rubel (Mosharraf Hossain) should be in the squad for the upcoming home series against South Africa. I honestly believe that he is now ready to become a worthy successor of me," ace Rafique reflected on his young fellow's 44-wicket haul in the country's first-class competition.

The obvious question that then arose is the future of the long-serving cricketer but the veteran spinner seemed unbothered about the prospect, instead smilingly saying: "Just ask him what I told him (Mosharraf)".

"Rafique bhai has repeatedly told me that the time has come for me to represent the national side although he has always been aware of what that would mean for him. I am really fortunate that a player like him has praised me in such a way," Mosharraf responded on this inquiry.

Rafique, who failed to get a place in the team for the ongoing New Zealand tour, showered praises on the young prospect.

"He has got the quality to become a good all-rounder. I am especially impressed by his mental strength which is most important in international cricket. He now just needs some nursing under the national team management," Rafique said.

The 26-year old Mosharraf, a student of Dhaka University, however was not in a hurry to find a place in the national side rather he wanted to improve as much as he can before making his international debut.

"It was very encouraging for me to see that my domestic performances have led me to be considered for a national call-up. My main object is to perform well in any level. I am satisfied that I have fulfilled my target in the league and now I am looking forward to continuing it. I am also trying to improve my batting," said Mosharraf.

The lanky spinner also explained the reason behind Rajshahi's second innings debacle.

"At one stage we thought that there was no chance for us to do anything against them (Rajshahi) that's why I had decided to do some experiment in my bowling. I tried variations which worked brilliantly and definitely from now on I will try to continue it to become a good longer-version bowler," he added.
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=180><!-- http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/2007-08-13__front01.jpg (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/d7081301011p.htm)
One of several CNG filling stations between Kanchpur Bridge and Jatrabari of the capital which BNP big shots built on the Kutubkhali canal, drastically reducing Dhaka's drainage capability. PHOTO: STAR --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
link (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=18297)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Have anybody seen him in any FC game........

if I am not mistaken, this is the first spinner Rafique is advocating for. Is he a real talent or Rafique is too worried about his own legacy?

Nocturnal
January 7, 2008, 04:33 PM
maybe Rafique is not worried about his spot anymore, today's Daily Jugantor report says-
Rafique is going to join ICL very soon.
source (http://jugantor.com/online/all.php?id=13612&sys=3)
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/99b13f820a.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

BANFAN
January 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
He looks like a spinner, that's what I can say.

If rafique has recommended, he should be tried. We need a good spinner.

tonoy
January 7, 2008, 04:40 PM
the big question is: Can he actually turn the ball? If he turns it like the current national spinners, then he needs more practice.

Nafi
January 7, 2008, 04:45 PM
Forget it!

Im tired of slow left arm orthodox spinners, tell him to learn unorthodox china-man spin like brad hogg, or just beat it!

LOL im being half serious here

Tigers_eye
January 7, 2008, 04:48 PM
maybe Rafique is not worried about his spot anymore, today's Daily Jugantor report says-
Rafique is going to join ICL very soon.
source (http://jugantor.com/online/all.php?id=13612&sys=3)
Could you please copy paste the part where it says Rafique going to ICL. Can can't read Daily Jugantor. Gibirish...

mafizraju
January 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
the big question is: Can he actually turn the ball? If he turns it like the current national spinners, then he needs more practice.

I dont think only "turning" is the most important aspect of a good spinner, there are lot of other aspects: is he promising enough to drift, turn, stop, vary the loop, and test the best in any surface.......

Good quality spinning is a learning game, the more one plays the more one gets better. lets take Vettori as an example. Last time NZ visited Bangladesh, he came to take tips from Rafique on arm ball. If I am not wrong Rafique at that time was much better of a spinner than Vettori. In current BD team we dont have a single spinner who is as good as vettori. jr is still learning, and it seemed like, for razzak alone it was too much of a burden( i am not taking anything away from him). we did well in the WC in this spinning department. I beleive part of the reason being presence of Rafique.

So is Rubel good enough and READY to chanllenge the existing ones........?

or is Rafique good enough to spot the real talent?

Nocturnal
January 7, 2008, 05:08 PM
Could you please copy paste the part where it says Rafique going to ICL. Can can't read Daily Jugantor. Gibirish...

in my previous post I attached a image version of that Jugantor news. thanks.

akabir77
January 7, 2008, 05:12 PM
when we r having problem with teaching this kids the game of cricket a real player of age 25+2 should be in the team as soon as possible. I think a spot of sakib is up for grab or maybe the one of aftab?

we need mature head in the team. fed up with all the kids...

Miraz
January 7, 2008, 05:14 PM
Mosharraf Rubel is around the corner for quite a while, he is undoubtedly one of the bright prospect and I personally was eager to monitor his progress in the current NCL which I mentioned in the NCL thread.

Having said that, I strongly feel that Mosharraf should be included in all A-team tours in 2008 and can only be considered after some consistent performances with the A team.

akabir77
January 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
Mosharraf Rubel is around the corner for quite a while, he is undoubtedly one of the bright prospect and I personally was eager to monitor his progress in the current NCL which I mentioned in the NCL thread.

Having said that, I strongly feel that Mosharraf should be included in all A-team tours in 2008 and can only be considered after some consistent performances with the A team.
agree and i think the process should start right away.

Orion
January 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
he has been taking a lot of wickets this year in NCL.....he is quite tall....above 6ft I believe..which is always good for a spinner due to the bounce factor plus he is quite handy with the bat....and a recommendation from Rafique, who is arguably the best spinner BD ever produced certainly puts him on the spotlight.

al Furqaan
January 7, 2008, 05:59 PM
so rafique rates him higher than enam?

rashed_va
January 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
I also like the fact he is a DU student and not jumping to join the national team. Groom him with his batting skills. Perhaps he should tour with the academy team first.

Murad
January 7, 2008, 07:02 PM
I want to see both Mosharaf and Tarek Aziz in the upcoming A-team tour. Tarek Aziz khan doing well. I think he could replace Shahadat Pagla. I haven't seen him play though. But can say he's improved a lot since he played for National team few years back.

FagunerAgun
January 7, 2008, 09:26 PM
Now Enamul Jr. must perform better otherwise should be replaced by Rubel.

Thanks Rafiq for your recommendation and an eye opener.

AsifTheManRahman
January 7, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hmm...interesting. Rafique praising his competition. Interesting.

Sohel
January 8, 2008, 04:57 AM
Too many cooks in the kitchen and too many SLAs at our disposal. That said, Rubel is a hard-working player who continues to improve upon what he does best. Both he and Abul Bashar, IMHO the best fielder in the NCL, deserve a good look and start being developed through the A-team.

karimjay.
January 8, 2008, 06:31 AM

I think if he could, Rafique would've mentioned it.

Your avatar is really distracting:)

tiger_army
January 8, 2008, 08:15 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=45></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=newspath></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=newsdetails vAlign=top>
"At one stage we thought that there was no chance for us to do anything against them (Rajshahi) that's why I had decided to do some experiment in my bowling. I tried variations which worked brilliantly and definitely from now on I will try to continue it to become a good longer-version bowler," he added.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=180><!-- http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/2007-08-13__front01.jpg (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/d7081301011p.htm)
One of several CNG filling stations between Kanchpur Bridge and Jatrabari of the capital which BNP big shots built on the Kutubkhali canal, drastically reducing Dhaka's drainage capability. PHOTO: STAR --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

i like tht part......we hardly hav any bowler in our team who does that in test.....Test means doing experiments and looks like he has the temperment, also he is 26 yrs old- matured enough to start international career.........good luck to him

Sovik
January 8, 2008, 10:16 AM
haven't seen him bowl so can't really comment anything but he looked promising. 26 years old but as a spinner he has a decade ahead of him.

Murad
January 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
i like tht part......we hardly hav any bowler in our team who does that in test.....Test means doing experiments and looks like he has the temperment, also he is 26 yrs old- matured enough to start international career.........good luck to him

He's not. He should go through the A-team first. I think he's from the Academy team. Isn't he?

Eshen
January 8, 2008, 02:13 PM
Mosharraf sounds like a smart guy who knows he has many areas to work on before raising his hand for a national team spot. He needs to keep working on his variation and keep experimenting new things. There is no pressing need for another SLA in the national team now even if Rafique retires. So, I say let Mosharraf grow in the A-team/Academy set up for another year or two.

Sohel
January 8, 2008, 05:17 PM
Just for the record, not that it really matters at this point, I'd pick Shaju Datta to be the next Rafique-type SLA. I expect to see the young man in the team within the next 5 years.

Beamer
January 8, 2008, 11:17 PM
What would it take for at least one among many promising spinners to bowl right handed off spin? There was a time when we hardly produced any lefty batsmen. Now we have a bunch. Just waiting for the trend to go the other way.

lamisa
January 9, 2008, 01:41 AM
v shud definitely take him in 4 da A team

wiseshah
January 9, 2008, 01:52 AM
it shows great professional attitude of rafiq. one day he will be known as legend.

Eshen
January 9, 2008, 02:58 AM
What would it take for at least one among many promising spinners to bowl right handed off spin? There was a time when we hardly produced any lefty batsmen. Now we have a bunch. Just waiting for the trend to go the other way.
Well, BCB tried to groom Rezaul Islam (the offspinner from the previous U/19 team) but looks like he did no surivive the competition from SLAs. Before him was Ashim Chowdhury (a leggie that McInnes rated highly) who got lost without any trace. Have anyone heard anything about Mosaddek Rubel lately ?

The next two offies coming out of BKSP (Mahmudul, Nasir) have better chances to survive the competition because they are also good batsmen, but I am worried about the leggie (Shakil).

Antora
January 9, 2008, 03:14 AM
I've seen this dude play NCL, To me he seemed like a good spiner, He should definately be in the "A" team.

Beamer
January 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well, BCB tried to groom Rezaul Islam (the offspinner from the previous U/19 team) but looks like he did no surivive the competition from SLAs. Before him was Ashim Chowdhury (a leggie that McInnes rated highly) who got lost without any trace. Have anyone heard anything about Mosaddek Rubel lately ?

The next two offies coming out of BKSP (Mahmudul, Nasir) have better chances to survive the competition because they are also good batsmen, but I am worried about the leggie (Shakil).

As always, you are right there to answer any question related to domestic and upcoming players. I am really impressed Eshen bro. Thank you.

bdchamp20
January 11, 2008, 02:42 PM
oh my god! rubel is 26!!I though he was around my age or even younger.I see him around at the DU canvas but never really speak to him,I watched him play in an inter-department match and i remember he took a five-for and scored a fifty i didnt think it was anything special coz lots of ppl take 5-fors but as rafique is saying he is special he must be!I think he will be a good prospect for us but first i agree that he should play for the 'A' team and the academy before being considered for international duty.