PDA

View Full Version : Umpires under fire: How would Bangladesh have done differently in the first test against the Kiwis?

Roni_uk
January 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
We saw how umpires (Buckner&Benson) made a blunder out of Ind-Aus second test not only by taking a number of wrong decisions but also accusing of Bhaji of being 'racist' just by listening to Ricky Ponting. The all-powerful Indian board, which accounts for an estimated 70 per cent of the game's global revenue, is finding this very hard to digest and has issued a direct challenge to the sovereignty of the International Cricket Council and the integrity of Australia's players.

Well the same blunder, perhaps not in such a big scale (?), was noticed in BD-NZ match but no one was challenged. Why - because our level of cricketing is not as brilliant as India or we don’t contribute so much to the revenue? As far as I remember there were two decisions in the first innings gone against us and repeated in the second innings for HB's wicket. If these were avoided perhaps we would have bold the Kiwis out in the first innings for 300 runs and HB could have added another 10/20 runs, giving us a lead of another 80 runs if not more, totally 115. OK we would still have lost the match but may be not by the huge margin of 9 wickets or 100+ lead could have psychologically boosted us and we wouldn’t have gone for silly shots of desperation.

Is it not time to push for technology in umpiring?

rashed_va
January 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
At first I felt the same way as you. But after analyzing further, I don't think our batting would have changed either way - look at the way Ash got out in the second inning at such a crucial moment. The Ump's mistake looks justified now. Bashar would go out the next ball if he survived that catch with the way he was playing. Now bowling wise we could have done better, limiting NZ. But we would still fail in batting. Our team is very different from India. Voicing protest would rather embarras us further...

Russell2k7
January 7, 2008, 06:54 PM
The IND-AUS game is completely diff. one. Our batsman are so pathetic that even if the umpires favors us we will still manage to loose very easily.

Tigers_eye
January 8, 2008, 12:46 AM
khal kaitta kumir aino na. When Technology will be manipulated what would say? Digitally doctoring a picture in real time is cheler hatey moa to some.

Add another field umpire in test matches. Train them better. Fire the incompetent ones.

MysoreHuli
January 8, 2008, 01:05 AM
A subcontinent player wil alwyas suffer... somebody has to change these things...

cricket_king
January 8, 2008, 02:09 AM
khal kaitta kumir aino na. When Technology will be manipulated what would say? Digitally doctoring a picture in real time is cheler hatey moa to some.

Add another field umpire in test matches. Train them better. Fire the incompetent ones.

Cheler haat theke moa naoua shoja. Perhaps decisions should be made easy as well. Umpires are not required in cricket. Technology is a much more reliable source in getting correct decisions, and ensuring the game is played fairly.

Kabir
January 8, 2008, 10:31 AM

Mijan bhai: Apni dekhi besh Matrix er shur e kotha koitesen bhai?

Eita ki notun big-screen e sci-fi dekhar shonge related? ;)

BanCricFan
January 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
Cant comment about the over-all impact on the result (NZ V BD) but umpiring by Porky Pathar has been very dodgy to say the least. He should not officiate any International matches.

He didn't give out NZ batters when they were clearly out. On the other finger, he was a jolly trigger finger when BD were batting.

akabir77
January 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
we just have to train our umpairs like theirs so that when they r at our place then our umpairs can cheat just like theirs...

BanCricFan
January 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
we just have to train our umpairs like theirs so that when they r at our place then our umpairs can cheat just like theirs...

Dont worry! We will have Ashoka!

akabir77
January 8, 2008, 11:12 AM
Dont worry! We will have Ashoka!

he is a razakar. he always goes for them

Roni_uk
January 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
ICC just heard Indian appeal & sacked Bukner from the third test, if we could have made some noise at the top level, PP could have been sacked too. I will be very disappointed to see him umpiring again in one of our matches and we will be the one to blame for this.

I can't believe, at this day & age, people can be against technology! Temparing with technology is not an issue as we are only talking about its use DURING the match watched by a 3rd or 4th umprie.

Shobha
January 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
ICC just heard Indian appeal & sacked Bukner from the third test, if we could have made some noise at the top level, PP could have been sacked too. I will be very disappointed to see him umpiring again in one of our matches and we will be the one to blame for this.

I can't believe, at this day & age, people can be against technology! Temparing with technology is not an issue as we are only talking about its use DURING the match watched by a 3rd or 4th umprie.

i couldnt agree with you more. and i definitly think it would've made a difference to our innings if bashar stayed on and also there were a few decisions in favour of nz when we bowled.
i dont see any reason why we still need umpires, yeah it's all part cricket to have wrong decisions against you and perhaps without the umpires cricket would not be the same. but there's a limit to how many mistakes you can make, especially when you have the chance not to make one( by referring to 3rd/4th umpire). remember how ash got out in the 3rd odi, when that stupid taylor claimed he "catched".

Miraz
January 8, 2008, 12:20 PM
he is a razakar. he always goes for them

:floor:

Tigers_eye
January 8, 2008, 12:23 PM
Kabir bhai,
Dhaka'tey Ponting'er umpire'r upor chorao howar kotha ato taratari bhuley gasen? I can still remember him running from Point and almost assulting the poor umpire. "Call dibi na manay?"

al Furqaan
January 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
if umpiring was completely fair...or very close to it, we still would have lost. but probably by 6 or 7 wickets and not 9.

Haider
January 8, 2008, 01:11 PM
At first I felt the same way as you. But after analyzing further, I don't think our batting would have changed either way - look at the way Ash got out in the second inning at such a crucial moment. The Ump's mistake looks justified now. Bashar would go out the next ball if he survived that catch with the way he was playing. Now bowling wise we could have done better, limiting NZ. But we would still fail in batting. Our team is very different from India. Voicing protest would rather embarras us further...

Now i know .. where the word quitting came from. It came from u my friend. Just cause ur team is under achieved , u giving up on them and letting other cheat off of them. This kinda mentality gotta stop. No matter what happens in the next ball, or no matter how poorly they play their shots.. its not fair to rob them from a game where ppl like u and the umpires believe the end result wud be the same so why not give the better team the benefit of doubts. L-)

akabir77
January 8, 2008, 01:28 PM
Kabir bhai,
Dhaka'tey Ponting'er umpire'r upor chorao howar kotha ato taratari bhuley gasen? I can still remember him running from Point and almost assulting the poor umpire. "Call dibi na manay?"
asey asey they way he made the field ump call the 3rd ump back was hilarious...

sandpiper
January 8, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hair tells Bucknor: I know how you're feeling
Alex Brown
January 9, 2008

AUSTRALIAN umpire Darrell Hair has offered his condolences to sacked official Steve Bucknor and called on the ICC to embrace an umpiring referral system to relieve pressure on the game's decision-makers.

Bucknor was backed, then sacked, for the Perth Test by the ICC in the wake of a controversial Sydney Test marked by several incorrect decisions.

In announcing the move, ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed likened this week's controversies to the those of forfeited Test at The Oval, which ultimately led to Hair's effective dismissal from the elite panel.

"I feel for Steve," Hair said yesterday. "In a way, it's probably the best for him to stand down and relieve the pressure a little bit."

Should Bucknor be removed from the elite panel, Hair could fill the breach. He has completed a management course at the University of NSW as part of a deal struck with the ICC after a highly publicised legal battle, and is up for review by the council in March.

Given the apparent shortage of quality umpires and Hair's ranking as the No.2 in the world at the time of his demotion, the ICC might again turn to the Australian in a bid to improve the standard of officiating at the elite level.

"The desire to come back is strong," Hair said. "I am still working with the ICC at the associate level and I will be working as an umpiring assessor at the youth World Cup, but I would love to make it back to the top level again."

Hair was adamant the ICC should use the lessons from the second Test in Sydney to investigate ways to relieve the pressure on umpires.

He supported a referral system, in which teams are allowed a certain number of challenges to umpiring decisions per innings. The system will be trialled at the Champions Trophy in Pakistan later this year.

"There were a few unfortunate decisions made, and I know for a fact that the people involved would not have enjoyed making such errors," Hair said.

"But the fact is those mistakes have been made, and rather than dwell on the negative, there is an opportunity to assess the situation and find the best ways forward.

"A couple of years ago, I would have been against a challenge system, but the more I look at it, I think it has merit. It works well in American football, and it could save time if it is used in place of other replays.

"A look at ways to improve the training of umpires at the top level could also help improve standards over all."

source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/hair-tells-bucknor-i-know-how-youre-feeling/2008/01/08/1199554654173.html

Kabir
January 8, 2008, 01:40 PM
Kabir bhai,

I wonder why there wsan't an official complaint made for that.

Dhakablues
January 8, 2008, 01:44 PM
I dont think our board has that kind of @#$s to even protest grotesque partial umpiring. Latif did that once against Pakistan but at the stage that we are in,, I dont we would be doing similiar acts; Indians can flex their muscle and will always have it their way with ICC.. We are just too tiny for any such act. The best we can do is Tamim them down during matches. But as we are, we dont go beyond and burn effigies like Indians even when De Silva handed us defeats

DJ Sahastra
January 9, 2008, 06:38 PM
I want someone to translate in Bangla for me "Until there is a stick up the rear, umpires are gonna keep their preferences and biases which will be passed on as 'human errors' ".

AsifTheManRahman
January 9, 2008, 08:12 PM
source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/hair-tells-bucknor-i-know-how-youre-feeling/2008/01/08/1199554654173.html

Oh teaming up are we?

Sovik
January 9, 2008, 08:14 PM

misery loves company

sandpiper
January 9, 2008, 08:15 PM
:saint:
Oh teaming up are we?

Beamer
January 9, 2008, 11:29 PM
Darrel Hair is a good umpire though. He just has a huge ego. Bucknor is just awful.

Zunaid
January 10, 2008, 12:31 AM
Darrel Hair is a good umpire though. He just has a huge ego. Bucknor is just awful.

Is but wasn't" though. Age just caught up with him just as it did too Shepperd - it's a shame as Bucknor is only in his early 60s.

Our nemesis Asoka was just plain bad.

DJ Sahastra
January 10, 2008, 01:17 AM
Is but wasn't" though. Age just caught up with him just as it did too Shepperd - it's a shame as Bucknor is only in his early 60s.

Our nemesis Asoka was just plain bad.

I have found Bucknor consistently awful in matches involving India and it goes back atleasta decade all the way when likes of Jonty Rhodes used to play.

I really would like to know what was the period when Bucknor was really a good umpire.

Beamer
January 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
I have found Bucknor consistently awful in matches involving India and it goes back atleasta decade all the way when likes of Jonty Rhodes used to play.

I really would like to know what was the period when Bucknor was really a good umpire.

In early nineties, he was regarded as one of the best. Don't ask me why, but he was. Billy Bowden, the one to replace him, is bad as well. Right now, I would say, Taufel and Dar are the two best.

Spitfire_x86
January 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
Not a single post mentions the reprieve Ash got in 2nd innings, when his score was below 10.

Beamer
January 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
Not a single post mentions the reprieve Ash got in 2nd innings, when his score was below 10.
Yes. Funny, huh? We are all partisans, to a certain degree off course !

DJ Sahastra
January 10, 2008, 04:27 PM
In early nineties, he was regarded as one of the best. Don't ask me why, but he was. Billy Bowden, the one to replace him, is bad as well. Right now, I would say, Taufel and Dar are the two best.

Early 90s would make it atleast 15 years off the sell-by date :).

And that makes sense, cos i don't remember a single match where he was good/excellent/outstanding .

I must say this but i had never imagined there would come a day when i would be more comfortable with two Pakistani umpires at both the ends.

Apart from Taufel and the two As, rest of the ICC-elites don't bring in any confidence in their ability.

DJ Sahastra
January 10, 2008, 04:32 PM

Spitfire,

60-40 or 40-60 is still a fair measure of an umpire's onsistency given that 50-50 is ideal.

What that means is, if out of 10 marginal decisions, 6 go in your favour and 4 in favour of the opposition, or vice-versa, you are still in good hands.

And this is only as far as marginal decisions go - like LBWs or razor-thin run-outs/stumpings etc.

The moment it slips below 60-40 to say 70-30, the umpire has issues.

And if he is slipping on clear-as-daylight decisions, it is a blunder. More than one blunder per-match means the umpire is really incompetent. Whether that incompetency is because of his diminishing physical capabilities or biases is a different matter.

Haider
January 12, 2008, 06:59 AM
I believe LBW and edge catches shud only be decided by the thrid umpire, as they have the technology to analyze it to the core. stupid umpires just draws blank in their thick head . The brief pause before they raise their finger is actualy them doing ini mini miny moe in their blank memory. Cuz.. no matter how good they are, u can't replay Anything in ur head, so for them to make a decision after pausing briefly says nothing... why not just raise ur finger at the spot.. dat shows they were paying attention. When u stop to think.. right then u know.. they missed what just happened.. and here comes a 50/50 shot... ( I was talking bout peter parker in general)

mij
January 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
I believe LBW and edge catches shud only be decided by the thrid umpire, as they have the technology to analyze it to the core. stupid umpires just draws blank in their thick head . The brief pause before they raise their finger is actualy them doing ini mini miny moe in their blank memory. Cuz.. no matter how good they are, u can't replay Anything in ur head, so for them to make a decision after pausing briefly says nothing... why not just raise ur finger at the spot.. dat shows they were paying attention. When u stop to think.. right then u know.. they missed what just happened.. and here comes a 50/50 shot... ( I was talking bout peter parker in general)

True,

No one like losing power, umpire thinks decision given by third umpire with aid of technology taking away their power.

Umpires come up with excuse like its takes longer to decide and waste of time and so on.

We all know time factor is not an issue, over all end of the day it may only take 5 min more end of the days play.

Pundit
January 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
Why is this thread still open?

Guys, you need to get a life. BD has far bigger problems than the need to deal with crooked umpires.

Pundit
January 12, 2008, 01:02 PM

WI have a complex with white folks..period.

Many people do have similar traits...but they have it en mass. This is from several observations over the years...one being...

...during a vacation to the islands...if you are waiting in a line to be shown into restaurant...the guys will come and not have the guts to sit you before the white couple behind you.

Happened consistantly...a meditteranean couple with olive complexion narrated their similar experiences as well.

Just an anecdote.

gunda
January 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
Why is this thread still open?

Guys, you need to get a life. BD has far bigger problems than the need to deal with crooked umpires.

Calm down dude you not the administrator here :mad: who are you to say what thread should not be open?? maybe you should get a life!!