PDA

View Full Version : NZ Tour 2nd Test: Aftab out, Rajin in

Nasif
January 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
I thought there would have been a thread on this by now. This monring on nTV scrolling news ticker, they said for 2nd test 1 change in the team: Aftab out, Rajin in.

I am not sure how good that will bring. Aftab came into the test team after quite some time; he should have been given more chances. Just 1 test and then getting the boot isn't healthy for any player.

Between Rajin and Aftab I will take Aftab any day.

Nafi
January 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
Id prefer Farhad or even the cursed sakib

abu2abu
January 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'll believe the team selection when i see it! If this is correct, then i think it's harsh on aftab. Rajin is a fine player but aftab shouldn't have made way for him. Habibul Bashar survives once agian due to his damned elusive "experience"...

Tigers_eye
January 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
Me too. (For bowling reasons)

But I think Rajin in the past has shown more determination and courage than any BD player. I will ride out the storm.

Tigers_eye
January 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
No pressure HB. You have two chances to get the 13 runs needed.

By the way, BC should make a plaque or something to honor HB's 3k test run. :-p

Nafi
January 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'll believe the team selection when i see it! If this is correct, then i think it's harsh on aftab. Rajin is a fine player but aftab shouldn't have made way for him. Habibul Bashar survives once agian due to his damned elusive "experience"...

Nah its just to pass the 3000 run mark. To be honest Id do the same thing.

If Bashar wants to salvage his career he'd score an unbeaten and up his finishing average to a respectable 32.5

Nafi
January 10, 2008, 11:07 AM
Me too. (For bowling reasons)

But I think Rajin in the past has shown more determination and courage than any BD player. I will ride out the storm.

Yeh here's a good chance for Rajin to put some runs up, he's one more bangladeshi who has a good chance of getting a 30+ test average and I want to see him do that.

riaz131
January 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
I don't think Habla will make these 13 runs; just so that he can play in upcoming games with this "3000 runs excuse."

Eshen
January 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
Did someone forget to tell Siddons that Rajin also had a pair in his last test match ? Anyway, good luck to Rajin, hope to see some of the Siddons magic rubbed on him in last two weeks.

abu2abu
January 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
Nah its just to pass the 3000 run mark. To be honest Id do the same thing.

If Bashar wants to salvage his career he'd score an unbeaten and up his finishing average to a respectable 32.5

I see, so HB survives so that he can reach a personal landmark! I'd forgotton he was close to the big 3000...

Kabir
January 10, 2008, 11:47 AM

I seriously think that's a joke, Guru.

On the issue:
There're two things to it.

1. Is Rajin a possible replacement for Aftab? - I would say yes. Given past records, Rajin showed more determination than Aftab in playing with his head on top of his shoulders.

2. Is it fair to remove Aftab just after one chance? - Of course, no. It's not.

So even though Rajin may be a good replacement, I wouldn't necessarily say that this is the time for replacement yet. Unless, the Mr. Magician has some magic wand up his sleeves.

sadi
January 10, 2008, 11:54 AM
Hmmmm Aftab will get another shot real soon. I am disappointed yes but Rajin should do just fine.

Murad
January 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
Did someone forget to tell Siddons that Rajin also had a pair in his last test match ? Anyway, good luck to Rajin, hope to see some of the Siddons magic rubbed on him in last two weeks.

Pair? pair bolle to ekta kom hoye jachche. Hist last 3 innings were DUCKS. 1 pair = 3 ducks?

akabir77
January 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
well on paper and in BC when i read about aftab it just feels that yeah he should be given chance and what not. but when you see him in the pitch (last 2 innings) it clearly shows there is a big problem and its not going to get fixed in the middle. so again i am backing up coaches decision. I think coach knows that a lot of works needs to be done on AFTAB to fix his problem off the field. so dropping him is correct. Even though that was my first demand i have gone away from there after reading so much about him in BC but now coach has confirmed my thoughts that he got a huge problem and he looked fish out of water in the middle.

Now picking a replacement for his position was a tricky one since there where at least three people for the job (farhad, sakib and rajin). i guess after seeing them in the practice coach went with the best player available to him for that position.

Now lets see what happens next. i am sure this one change will not make us win the TEST. but will it let us avoid a big innings defeat?

Moshin
January 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
yes it will be a very good move indeed.

Tigers_eye
January 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
Why not settle this as a man?

Aftab - Rajin: panja. best of three.

I know Rajin is very strong but Aftab is no falna. In the process we will find out strongest man in BD cricket team. Big Z may have something to say about that too.

As per physically in best shape, I think Shakib is the best. Commando training'a first.

AsifTheManRahman
January 10, 2008, 12:25 PM
Not a bad move. Hope Rajin can justify his inclusion.

tiger_omar
January 10, 2008, 12:58 PM

Yea... But that was 6 months ago, so Rajin may have been out of form. But 6 months is enough time for a player to work on his game and get out of his funk. And before that, Rajin showed that he can be one of the more consistent members of our Test squad and that he also had a Test batsman mindset. Rajin has a Test batting average of 27.19 even after those three ducks, in 22 matches, which isn't a bad average for a BD batsman. So I don't mind the decision to include Rajin in the squad for Aftab at all. Good luck Rajin.

Aftab hasn't looked comfortable in the crease in both of his innings, and he just doesn't seem mentally ready to be a Test batsman. I hope that he works on his temprament, and comes back to the squad stronger than ever. Because, as many of our fans know, Aftab is one of the most talented batsman in Bangladesh, and when he's on, he can be devastating against any bowling attack. Good luck Aftab.

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 01:12 PM
No pressure HB. You have two chances to get the 13 runs needed.

Now watch HaBa score less than 10 to "justify" his inclusion for the SA series, then shoot a few :duck:s to have a go at the Aussies ...

Instead of a 3K plaque, I suggest a pair of balls, straight from BCB's top brass (?) ... ;)

ialbd
January 10, 2008, 01:16 PM
Now watch HaBa score less than 10 to "justify" his inclusion for the SA series, then shoot a few :duck:s to have a go at the Aussies ...

Instead of a 3K plaque, I suggest a pair of balls, straight from BCB's top brass (?) ... ;)

hahaha.... only if Bashar was smart enough.....

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 01:16 PM
Aftab's exclusion is somewhat predictable. Also, the sooner coach Siddons has a good look at Rajin, the better for our cricket ... ;)

Let's if 2 new :duck:s are REALLY any worse than 3 older :duck:s ... I'd be only too happy to eat my words if they are (I don't think I'll have to).

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 01:17 PM
hahaha.... only if Bashar was smart enough.....

Do not underestimate the man's survival instincts ... ;)

akabir77
January 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
hayrey HB rey nea koto hela fela. dekhben ekta century mira dibey next three test er bodeh!!!

Ajfar
January 10, 2008, 01:33 PM
soo bashar arekta chance pelo...watch he wn't get the 13 runs he need...

Beamer
January 10, 2008, 01:34 PM
If its true, I feel for him. A pair after two years of hiatus is not the way back. Its tough, but, mentally he will be so edgy that if he plays, two more bad scores might do more damage to his psyche. Its a tough call. On one hand, he deserves another chance like Bashar, on the other, the pressure might be too suffocating for already a fragile mind.

The SA series is big for him. Are we playing the ODI's first? if we do, thats good news for him. He can back his way into the test team after performing in his favorite version. If we play tests first, then I am afraid, he might miss the chance to play tests vs the Proteas. Regardless, he needs to work with JS, and the first order of the day : Avoid playing in the air.

Tiger Bhai
January 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
don't worry Rajin!! get your self a.. 50 on the board and we will be jolly about u!!

Moshin
January 10, 2008, 01:38 PM
Aftab's exclusion is somewhat predictable. Also, the sooner coach Siddons has a good look at Rajin, the better for our cricket ... ;)
I thought Rajin was the next superstar of Bangladesh cricket a few years back, but looks like its not, that is why we should not be very optimistic about our players of becoming superstars in the future, because it never happens at the end, thier careers get ruined. I just find it so wierd. But anyway he is better than Aftab I think, very good at batting and bowling a bit.

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
I thought Rajin was the next superstar of Bangladesh cricket a few years back, but looks like its not, that is why we should not be very optimistic about our players of becoming superstars in the future, because it never happens at the end, thier careers get ruined. I just find it so wierd. But anyway he is better than Aftab I think, very good at batting and bowling a bit.

Flawed reasoning there.

Zunaed:Rajin :: DVD:VHS

Beamer
January 10, 2008, 01:47 PM
Beta Max rather..

al Furqaan
January 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
sad for aftab...beamer, we play test first agaist saffers.

Moshin
January 10, 2008, 02:02 PM
Flawed reasoning there.

Zunaed:Rajin :: DVD:VHS
Wait.. you havnt compared him with Aftab yet. They are both VHS i think.

tiger_omar
January 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
hayrey HB rey nea koto hela fela. dekhben ekta century mira dibey next three test er bodeh!!!

Ei match a kharap judi khele, tai le to next match a team a dukhbe na. Tar mani Bashar century ta korte parbe na. Century korar thakle ai match a kore fela uchit.

Eshen
January 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Shamokal quoted Siddons saying that Aftab deserves another chance. So, I guess this is nothing but a rumor from NTV.

http://www.shamokal.com/details.php?nid=84955

sadi
January 10, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hmmmm all these talk for nothing?

Jhalo jhalo agun jhalo....

Dhakablues
January 10, 2008, 02:41 PM
I would think Rajin is a better choice irrespective. He is one of the most under-rated player of Bangladesh Cricket after Rana. He is coming from a good form and deserves a chance. Heck, if players like ...... is getting chances why not Rajin who is known for his Test character. Off course, he is not the flashy, boom boom type but we need to solidify our middle order and he is a good option. Our other option was Sakib, my once favorite player. But Sakib's batting is scarry man!!! Farhad could've been another choice but he doesnt bring anything extra-ordinary to the table. In fact,,, none of the replacements we have are anything extra-ordinary. At this moment,, what the team needs is some stability and I think Rajin is the name that is close to that elusion...

shaad
January 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
How is Rajin technically as a player nowadays? The impression I get is that Siddons prefers younger, technically less flawed players as they are those he can teach temperament and shot selection to.

sandpiper
January 10, 2008, 02:46 PM
It was quite predictable. I think its a timely replacement and will pay off. He got a solid defence and can play significant role to consolidate in the middle order. :flag:

Eshen
January 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
I was actually quite worried when Rajin's name came up as a replacement for Aftab, I thought Siddons had started to falter in his judgment. Glad to see that's not the case.

It would have been perfect if he had kicked HB out and brought in Farhad (or even Shakib).

Beamer
January 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
Shamokal quoted Siddons saying that Aftab deserves another chance. So, I guess this is nothing but a rumor from NTV.

OK. I didn't think he will give him such a quick hook either.

damalChele
January 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
If Haba gets 13 more runs BD wins the 2nd Test match? Whatever happened to "A team is more important than an individual"?? Since when its so important to let an out-of-form player play just so he can reach his individual milestone?? This is ridiculous! What's worse is that some of the members actually do want him play so that he can reach his 3000 runs. What the ****? I really want to crack Haba's empty head open with a metal bat then shove those stumps where sun don't shine. If it wasn't for him we could have done much better the 1st Test.

I don't think I can watch tomorrows match if Haba plays in the final XI. This guy has been pi$$in' everyone off since last march and somehow still manages to do so. The selectors were drunk where they were drawing up the list. Thats the only explanation. If his experience was a such a huge factor then TI and ZS shouldn't have been in the Test squad in the first place. They have zero experience at Test level. I don't get it. Why was he not dropped?? Someone please explain it to me so I can watch the match tomorrow.

Nafi
January 10, 2008, 03:42 PM
Bashar still scored more runs than anyone else in the middle order (excepting SN)

akabir77
January 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
If Haba gets 13 more runs BD wins the 2nd Test match? Whatever happened to "A team is more important than an individual"?? Since when its so important to let an out-of-form player play just so he can reach his individual milestone?? This is ridiculous! What's worse is that some of the members actually do want him play so that he can reach his 3000 runs. What the ****? I really want to crack Haba's empty head open with a metal bat then shove those stumps where sun don't shine. If it wasn't for him we could have done much better the 1st Test.

I don't think I can watch tomorrows match if Haba plays in the final XI. This guy has been pi$$in' everyone off since last march and somehow still manages to do so. The selectors were drunk where they were drawing up the list. Thats the only explanation. If his experience was a such a huge factor then TI and ZS shouldn't have been in the Test squad in the first place. They have zero experience at Test level. I don't get it. Why was he not dropped?? Someone please explain it to me so I can watch the match tomorrow.

His uncle is the chief adviser.

skhondoker
January 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
i have so far read three newspaper where they are saying that Aftab is going to get a chance...

sandpiper
January 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
Then which one is the right source ? I am confused. :-/

akabir77
January 10, 2008, 04:22 PM
looks like aftab is back according to shamokal which one is right you will know for sure tomorrow... never the less hope this will not break aftab.

Fortuner
January 10, 2008, 04:23 PM
Indeed a gud move by team managemnt to bring Rajin instead Aftab for the 2nd test. Rajin no doubt is someone who is very determined to stay out there for a long time. He has the required patience for playing a test match. Aftab doest have that.
Actually, Aftab should never play test match unless he doesnt get in his head that he has to patient.

No doubt, Aftab is more talented than Rajin but Rajin's application for test match is better than Aftab.

Kudos to the BD Cricket team managment for making this gud move!!!

skhondoker
January 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
well if ntv is right that Aftab is dropped then I think it is a damaging effect. With Siddons still showing faith in him could have been a tonic and a start of yet another different culture in BD cricket.
The other different culture if you may ask was to go with the two debutant openers in the 1st test

skhondoker
January 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
why is there a fresh new thread on this!

Omio
January 10, 2008, 05:18 PM
according to all bd newspaper Aftab will play 2nd test as well.
Aftab should get another chance.

Roni_uk
January 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
Good move on leaving Aftab out but what difference would Rajin make? Aftab would score 0 in 3 balls, Rajin will make that in 7!!

But not sure why HaBa is still in. I guess Siddons gave him the benefit of the doubt on his out in the second innings and prob his 'very' last chance to prove himself.

Zunaid
January 10, 2008, 05:58 PM
Here's something from newage:

Siddon's on Aftab:

"Unless there is a secret weapon somewhere that I know about then I don't see any point in making changes after just one Test match. He made 53 runs the other day. He is the only batter to have made a fifty outside the two openers and Ashraful obviously. I've got faith in him and I think he'll be all right. If he's not, then we'll make changes down the track," said Siddons

With this, I will be surprised if he is axed.

Pundit
January 10, 2008, 06:07 PM
I am supportive of any such decision.

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 06:09 PM

Hope to GOD you're right. It was difficult getting myself ready to watch Rajin 1) blocking half-volleys and full-tosses, 2) shuffling around inside the crease with visible discomfort, 3) trying to survive inside a shaky little shell and creating pressure upon himself and his partner, and 4) inevitably crumbling under that pressure and having his footwork get the best of him at a 50-ball :duck:. Maybe we'll get lucky and get another, ultimately futile 200 ball 40? Sorry, not against Martin, Mills and Vettori in their backyard. Heck, even Oram's disciplined line and length could find him edge-back to McCullum if he doesn't manage to get himself LBW-ed first.

I think Coach Siddons prefers "talented with issues" over "gritty with limitations" as long as they follow his program and show the ability to learn quickly and apply themselves. The benefits of such a mentality for a young cricket culture far outweigh the "cost". Great to have a coach who not only recognizes and values talent, but perhaps also can contribute to the harnessing and application of that talent in terms of technical ability. Looking forward to seeing what Aftab has learned ... :)

Ehsan
January 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
I will replace Bashar with Rajin and keep Aftab in. Bashar is currently out of form, confidence and luck. I hope Siddons keeps Aftab in the team.

Rifat
January 10, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hope to GOD you're right. It was difficult getting myself ready to watch Rajin 1) blocking half-volleys and full-tosses, 2) shuffling around inside the crease with visible discomfort, 3) trying to survive inside a shaky little shell and creating pressure upon himself and his partner, and 4) inevitably crumbling under that pressure and having his footwork get the best of him at a 50-ball :duck:. Maybe we'll get lucky and get another, ultimately futile 200 ball 40? Sorry, not against Martin, Mills and Vettori in their backyard. Heck, even Oram's disciplined line and length could find him edge-back to McCullum if he doesn't manage to get himself LBW-ed first.

I think Coach Siddons prefers "talented with issues" over "gritty with limitations" as long as they follow his program and show the ability to learn quickly and apply themselves. The benefits of such a mentality for a young cricket culture far outweigh the "cost". Great to have a coach who not only recognizes and values talent, but perhaps also can contribute to the harnessing and application of that talent in terms of technical ability. Looking forward to seeing what Aftab has learned ... :)

good analysis. that's the main reason why guys like Khaled Mashud, Javed Omar and possibly Bashar next in line will never show up in any form of international bangladesh cricket. but we should never forget the fact that talent only got us performing 1 day out of every 365 days! where we have been gritty ever since 2000, we have survived test cricket by individual "gritty" performances in the past, under siddons, it will take some time to change.

i am still in favor of an explosive Aftab, if he can learn how to avoid the balls not to hit, believe me, this guy will beome the most dangerous batsmen in the world, that's right!

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks Dr. Z for the New Age dig. Here's the article in its entirety.

Aftab gets new life
Azad Majumder . Wellington

Middle-order batsman Aftab Ahmed is likely to get another chance to prove his Test mettle, despite bagging a pair in the first Test against New Zealand in Dunedin.

Playing a Test match after a 20-month gap, the right-hander from Chittagong scored a duck in both innings of the first Test, drawing flak from many corners. He was given chance in Dunedin ahead of Rajin Saleh and Sakib Al Hasan, who both are known for their sedate batting.

The team management were heavily criticised for including the batsman in the Test squad and putting him in the starting line-up, despite his impatient nature of batting and Aftab did very little justice to them.

It was assumed that the failure could draw an end to his dream for playing Test match in the near future, but he found an unlikely backer in coach Jamie Siddons, who spoke highly of him.

‘We’ll not be changing all the time just because we think someone is better than the others. We don’t have a Ricky Ponting. We have got to rely on the player we pick for the team. We have put them in the team for a reason,’ said Siddons after the practice session at Basin Reserve in Wellington.

With confidence shattered after back-to-back zeros, Aftab, who last played a Test match before Dunedin on his home ground in Chittagong against Australia in April 2006, looked totally subdued when he batted in the net. The bowlers beat him several times during his stay at the crease in three phases.

But coach Siddons thinks it happened only because he has got some quality bowlers in the nets. ‘I think he looked all right. (Farhad) Reza and (Shahadat) Rajib were bowling to him very well. He had the good bowlers bowling to him. They were bowling in good areas. So he could not hit too many boundaries,’ said Siddons.

‘Unless there is a secret weapon somewhere that I know about then I don’t see any point in making changes after just one Test match. He made 53 runs the other day. He is the only batter to have made a fifty outside the two openers and Ashraful obviously. I’ve got faith in him and I think he’ll be all right. If he’s not, then we’ll make changes down the track,’ said Siddons

‘I am telling him you have made a pair and it can happen to anyone. He has made 53 three innings ago against the same attack. He has got a prime position at number six. We will give him another chance and I think he deserves it after his fifty. He looked very good that day and hopefully he does the job for us,’ added the coach.

Siddons also ruled out any chance of a change in the bowling department in the second Test, starting at the Basin Reserve on Saturday. Basin, the only single-purpose cricket ground in New Zealand and the home of Cricket Wellington, is open on one side and thus became windy, which Siddons believed is not suitable for taking more than one spinners.

‘In Dhaka definitely we will play with two spinners. But in Wellington, so windy and with grass on the wicket, going with two fast bowlers and two spinners is impossible,’ said Siddons effectively ruling out the chance of left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak to have a place in the playing eleven.

Bangladesh played left-arm spinner Enamul Haque in the first Test ahead of Razzak, but has not reaped any benefit from the decision as Enamul went wicketless. But like Aftab, Siddons is also backing the tweaker.

DNA (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)

Sovik
January 10, 2008, 07:22 PM
it seems a bad idea to play him in this test but the coach chooses him then there must be a good reason.

Rubu
January 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
I sure would like to have Rajin, but instead of HaBa not Aftab.

Well, its just another test, let give HaBa a fair well with this one.

BD Tigers
January 10, 2008, 08:22 PM
HB, fair well??? I dont think we will be seeing last of him. In fact, I believe he's just a knock away from his confidence back and for BD sake we need that.

Zobair
January 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
Sakib needs to improve his front-foot play, loosen his bottom-hand grip a little and lead more with his fore-hand or else he will continue to chop the ball back into his stumps when he jabs at the in-coming balls.

BanCricFan
January 10, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'm already a fan of Siddon's philosophy. Hope his charges back him up and do themselves justice. JS is the man for Bangladesh.

Sohel
January 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'm already a fan of Siddon's philosophy. Hope his charges back him up and do themselves justice. JS is the man for Bangladesh.

Couldn't have said it better myself bro. Better times ahead for our cricket Inshallah ... :)

al Furqaan
January 10, 2008, 09:24 PM
I sure would like to have Rajin, but instead of HaBa not Aftab.

Well, its just another test, let give HaBa a fair well with this one.

you know that HABA will get a test in dhaka (and possibly chittagong too) against the saffers for a home series farewell. if chacha got one, u know he will get one.

heck selectors might look at his record and think that he needs to play a test against each of the 8 nations to make a proper farewell.

One World
January 10, 2008, 10:34 PM
NewZealand thinking of playing offspinner Jeetan Patel. More "korolla" for Aftab and Mushfik.

BanCricFan
January 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself bro. Better times ahead for our cricket Inshallah ... :)

Taholay ekhoni Ogrim kulakuli...:big_hug:

:flag:

Beamer
January 10, 2008, 10:58 PM
you know that HABA will get a test in dhaka (and possibly chittagong too) against the saffers for a home series farewell. if chacha got one, u know he will get one.

heck selectors might look at his record and think that he needs to play a test against each of the 8 nations to make a proper farewell.

I am not so sure. Siddons won't tolerate playing with 10 men so Bashar can retire. I just hope he gets his 13 runs this test , or whatever he needs, and goes away, for good. We need a no.3 for tests very badly and the process will start against the South African's.

BanCricFan
January 10, 2008, 11:01 PM
Aftabs NCL stats

10 innings 2 not out 240 runs 30 ave 61 HS 1fifty

2 not outs inflates his average. Plus a Pair in the 1st Test.

He is a very very lucky boy!!! Lets hope he makes it count!
<!-- START OLD SSI: /navigation/NATIONAL/BDESH/FOOTERwide.html --><!-- START OLD SSI: /navigation/NATIONAL/BDESH/FOOTERwide.html -->

rupantor
January 10, 2008, 11:23 PM
Any print media confirmation on Aftab's exclusion?

One World
January 10, 2008, 11:28 PM
Any print media confirmation on Aftab's exclusion?

Not really! Rather all the sources that I have researched confirms more that he sustains. Siddons was heard saying, "Replacement does not bear fruit as there is no such player who is extra ordinary compared to another". According to Bangladesher Khela Siddons spent a short half an hour with SN alone to fix his weak areas while he spent a long 4 hours with Aftab! The result was not really good as Aftab was still making similar mistakes in practice session.

mahbubH
January 11, 2008, 12:03 AM
No big difference whether it is HaBa, or Aftab, or Rajin at this moment.

lamisa
January 11, 2008, 12:35 AM
if nz play jeetan patel then rajin shud b an automatic choice over aftab.even if jeetan is not being playd,i wud still go with rajin,a better test player.even if he scores a 50 off 235 balls,tht wud still help us 2 last for a longer time,say v can stretch da match till the 4th day or sth.

Navarene
January 11, 2008, 01:06 AM
If what Daily Shamakal has stated quoting Siddons as "nothings wrong to get a pair of ducks in two innings...it may happen to any cricketer on any given day" is true, then I salute our coach for his positive approach and belief on his players.

Aftab deserves another chance in regards to keep in mind that he was out of touch in Test cricket for long 20 months. Rajin has also got a pair in his last Test, then what makes a big difference between Aftab and Rajin?

Aftab will be back with a bang in second Test, mark my word.

al Furqaan
January 11, 2008, 01:12 AM
NewZealand thinking of playing offspinner Jeetan Patel. More "korolla" for Aftab and Mushfik.

jeetan will get smoked like a blunt full of weed...

One World
January 11, 2008, 01:25 AM
jeetan will get smoked like a blunt full of weed...

I dont really mind Jeetan and I am sure Vet does not either as long as he keeps a mere part-timer like performance, holding the horse of the middle order. The bad news for us is another spinner added to the misery of some of the technically deficient BD batsmen against quality spin.

Now when you say he will get smoked, who will do it. Except the openers and Ash and Bashar, none other batsmen are big hitters or absolutely impatient to hold their wickets (e.g. Mushfik, Mash).

I would be happy to see him get smoked but I doubt SN would be the saviour as he is more of a good player of medium to fast medium pace, compared to spin (more defensive still lost wicket to Vettori).

Also NZ team management and players are much more matured and experienced to use a spinner properly in a test match, specially in a wicket like Wellington. Worst case scenario is JP would be used as a supportive one-end basket when Vettori can continue his experiment in other end.

Waiting for another Eid, may be!

Dhakablues
January 11, 2008, 01:39 AM
Actually you know what,, it doesnt matter if Aftab plays or Rajin plays,, neither one of them was going to change the 3 day fate for us. I sound pathetic but I have to say that at 6, Aftab or Rajin cant save the rot, if it starts. If Ashraful/Bashar/Nafis fails,, there is nobody, I mean the entire team combined cannot save a another 9-10 wickets/innings defeat in 3 days.

habfreak
January 11, 2008, 02:03 AM
Bashar bashing bujhlam...kintu middle order-er kon batsman ta valo khelse last test e keu bujhai bolben? Getting rid of Bashar wont solve anything...we poor fans will just have to find another escape goat..thats all...and I'vea feeling after Bashar is gone Ash will turn into that escape goat, maybe not righ tnow but in 2/3 years. bashar used to carry our reatarded batting line up...and finally the pressure got to him...now Ash is doing the same..and it wont take us fans more than a week to forget all that he's doing now.

Shaan
January 11, 2008, 03:30 AM
To me Aftab needs to get some more chances, to cement our middle order Rajin is better option in place of HABA. There are lots of concerns and point of views we all share from the angle of our mindset about individual players thats why we prefer one to other and it's very natural and perpetual. Rajin is the one so far showed his compose and guts in test arena compare to some batsman in the current team. Don't need to go for much analysis here in which way but everybody is aware of that what it is a test about and what Rajin is about in test.

Aftab is talented player who loves to play strokes, he just needs sometime and chances to adjust himself into the test with the appropriate application. Rajin should continue his runs into biggie ones and stay at the wicket as long as possible.

MohammedC
January 11, 2008, 03:58 AM
Aftab, Bashar and Enamul may be replaced by Rajin,Farhad and Razzak according to Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/nzvbdesh/content/current/story/330336.html)

taklima_naj
January 11, 2008, 04:04 AM
To me Aftab needs to get some more chances, to cement our middle order Rajin is better option in place of HABA. There are lots of concerns and point of views we all share from the angle of our mindset about individual players thats why we prefer one to other and it's very natural and perpetual. Rajin is the one so far showed his compose and guts in test arena compare to some batsman in the current team. Don't need to go for much analysis here in which way but everybody is aware of that what it is a test about and what Rajin is about in test.

Aftab is talented player who loves to play strokes, he just needs sometime and chances to adjust himself into the test with the appropriate application. Rajin should continue his runs into biggie ones and stay at the wicket as long as possible.

exactly my thought