PDA

View Full Version : innings defeat: can we avoid it again?

al Furqaan
January 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
just a simple poll here.

as dissappointing it was to watch yesterday's play, come match time, i shall keenly be watching today.

coming into the series - indeed any and all series - my expectation is "if we apply ourselves we can avoid an innings defeat and possible really push the opposition". thats the best case scenario.

i'd say we'd have done very well to avoid innings defeats after posting 137 and 143 in the first innings respectively, on seaming tracks, in road games.

not trying to be optimistic but trying to be real.

my goals for the RSA series are similar...i'm targetting pushing the opposition and not losing by an innings. hopefully we can grab 12-14 wickets against them.

al Furqaan
January 12, 2008, 01:40 PM
oops, forgot to make votes public, lol.

i voted for 'yes, NZ will be forced to bat again'

Rabz
January 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
yes we can.

You know why?

This is a very common trend about our series'.
After playing crap for the whole series (except one or two little cameos here and there), we tend to play "good" only in the last innings of the tour.

This is where the boys gains some sort of sanity and regains some of the lost pride.

Im telling ya, they would score in the range of 310-330 in the second test, only for the kiwis to score some 70-100 runs to win the series 2-0.

There will be one big knock from someone.

This one good innings would sort of give the jounos to write something good about what is otherwise a mediocre series.

That one innings would sort of overlap the bad stuff and we fans would be occupied and be left with some salvation till the next series begins.

A never ending cycle.

Sovik
January 12, 2008, 01:57 PM
our bowlers will get us breakthroughs and new zealand won't have big lead

Murad
January 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
WE can avoid it if we can take early wickets today. Naile Fleming r onno gulo shob mile cherabhera kore dibe shob kichu...

Sajid kalke valo bowling koreni... hope ajke valo korbe... valo korle wicket pabe shei...

zia
January 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
Demoralizing thread.

Rubu
January 12, 2008, 02:32 PM
I think we have some MAJOR problem with mindset. Its been 8 years, and still players are making the same old mistake that were made when durjoy went to toss in 2000.

we did not go anywhere in test. that is why we still have to think about innings defeat after the first day of play.

regardless of whether NZ bats again or not, it is a all the same. we suck in test. and I think almost everyone related to it is to blame.

I think the only test suited batsman we have is Rajin and he does not get a chance. players go in the middle and all they try to prove is that they have talent and nothing else (now, where does this trend came from, I won't even go there). if we do not change the approach, in 2018, we'll still think if we can avoid innings defeat or not.

Shaan
January 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
we will force them to bat..

Russell2k7
January 12, 2008, 02:47 PM
They cant even bat the whole 50 overs! They suck and should not play test cricket until they prove themselves. It's always the same pathetic performance.

But yeah I hope they will atleast make NZ bat again.

shaad
January 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'll be the pessimist this time. Where is SS nowadays, by the way?

Mahir
January 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
Atleast 2 early wickets (within the first hour) would help. Neither can the team let Fleming OR Oram make a big score. If we can keep the deficit ~200, then I'm optimistic about forcing the Kiwis bat a 2nd time. In all of this, Mashrafee has to play a big role. Even if we can't wipe out the 1st innings deficit, I really want atleast one of our batsmen strike a ton in the 2nd innings, just for the sake of an individual accomplishment.

Omio
January 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
another innings defeat

jahidus200
January 12, 2008, 03:10 PM
we must need to field first in test match to avoid test inning defeat . because this is very easy when any team score 400 than we just need 200 runs to avoid the inning defeat . i think in the future we must choose field first if we win the toss

Hatebreed
January 12, 2008, 03:16 PM
Why does it matter? We need to change this defeatist mindset and aim to avoid defeat, not just innings defeat.

Bancan
January 12, 2008, 03:21 PM
nope

Haradhon
January 12, 2008, 03:24 PM
To keep our hope alive one of our batters will do the miracle, i.e., help us avoid the innings defeat. So we go into the BD-SA series with high hope - home turf, weak SA and spining pitch etc. Is that what is happening since we got our test status?

Spitfire_x86
January 12, 2008, 08:49 PM
No way. We already had our "good innings of the tour'. Time for the worst innings now.

Sohel
January 12, 2008, 09:47 PM
YES!

To quote Barack Hossein Obama: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama) "There is NOTHING false about hope" ... :)

al Furqaan
January 12, 2008, 09:48 PM
No way. We already had our "good innings of the tour'. Time for the worst innings now.

which innings was that...

Murad
January 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
With Tamim not in the batting line up for the 2nd innings, I'm expecting an innings defeat.

SN & JS won't give us a good start thats for sure. SN will fail once again. He will look good for few overs then would get out miserably.

Navarene
January 12, 2008, 09:55 PM
From what it looks like after the tea, where the lead is 200+ and still creeping, and both Vettori and Mills look comfortable in the middle, with Sajedul's wayward bowling, I afraid another innings defeat is on the making :(

AsifTheManRahman
January 12, 2008, 10:05 PM
We probably still can, but that doesn't reduce the humiliation by much.

Ganguly da
January 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
BD bowling w/o syed rasel still looks much better than batting

al Furqaan
January 12, 2008, 11:07 PM
BD bowling w/o syed rasel still looks much better than batting

bowling is pretty decent...lets see how it looks on dust bowls of BD against a much better RSA team.

Snowman
January 13, 2008, 12:23 AM
Game will end in two days.

Sohel
January 13, 2008, 12:35 AM
YES!

To quote Barack Hossein Obama: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama) "There is NOTHING false about hope" ... :)

Oh well ...

Zunaid
January 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
No. Not this time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Screams in agony.

ialbd
January 13, 2008, 12:55 AM
heh... the answer is just too easy today.....

Murad
January 13, 2008, 12:58 AM
haire ki team amader.... proti ta test match e amader ektai chinta thake..innings defeat avoid korte parbo to.....

kobe je amra eta theke mukti pabo..........................

Rifat
January 13, 2008, 01:04 AM
although Bangladesh is a team known for superb upsets, giant killer, occasional spark-plug... it is highly unlikely... that with out of form batsmens... the lower order would do any better...

we trail by 199 runs adn 5 wickets, our "Golden boy" (No, not Mushfiqur, Ashraful) who plays a key part in about every bangladesh success has gone for 1. Tamim? if Bashar and Tamim and Sakib becomes gritty and hold the thin thread for about 2 sessions we might have a 1 in 99 chance of avioding innings defeat!

BD-Shardul
January 13, 2008, 01:18 AM
No. Not this time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Screams in agony.

:sick::sick: Dr. Z screaming this time. :sick::sick:

tiger_omar
January 13, 2008, 02:13 AM
Nope. Do I need to get in any more details?