PDA

View Full Version : the only "most dissappointing thing"

al Furqaan
January 13, 2008, 04:48 PM
amid all of the negativity of our play this series, i was able to swallow it all. i didn't expect it in the sense that thats what i thought would happen, but i certainly did hope for better.

and i will still claim, with 200 % conviction, that we are capable of better. much better.

but lets run down all the negatives:

- throwing away a decent start from tamim and ash in 1st ODI
- bowling meltdown in 2nd ODI
- complete refusal to take the field in the 3rd ODI
- rash shots in T1I1 -> batting collapse of 137 a.o.
- slumping from 161-0 to 254 a.o.
- rash shots in T2I1 to be continued in T2I2

and the scarce positives:

- forcing NZ to bat twice at least once (considering our totals, thats amazing)
- mashrafee's bowling
- rajib's hostile, yet intelligently crafted bowling
- rahim's keeping (at times)

and the one that hurts most:

- fielding and subsequent batting in T2.

this one hurt more than anything since the last time we played NZ back in bangladesh in late 2004. i swore then to stop following BD cricket. didn't make such a hasty, and un-keepable promise this time around, but the pain is as intense. actually worse.

the fielding was poor at a time when we were in with a good chance of making the match interesting. had even 75% of chances gone down, NZ would have been bundled for less than 300, maybe even 275. the sitters dropped by SN and ash were, IMO, done somewhat on purpose. especially SN. SN appeared to be so frustrated that he did not want to catch that ball. he might be a bad fielder, but he's no idiot. who throws up one hand to catch a lobbed ball?

ash on the other hand, may have actually tried to take the catch (couldn't see his facial expression), then after grassing it, let a dot ball turn into 2 runs. they had already given up. those catches were dropped on purpose, IMO.

the players, for whatever reason, barring our heroic bowlers, had given up. this continued with the lack of any form of common sense in the 2nd innings batting. i refuse to believe that our batsmen suck so bad as to make martin and mills look like 2 shane bonds each. i really think the frustration caused our batsmen to play the idiotic shots they did. and that is what is most frustrating. i don't see why they should have started day 2 with the defeatist mindset they did.

the only thing that makes me continue to be a fan is the challenge of it. that and the knowledge that things cannot be worse, because this is rock bottom. holland would have played better than we did yesterday.

as often is the case, from the filth of bottom of the deepest pit on earth, the tigers usually manage to spring a surprise of epic grandeur. that is what keeps me going. i have a feeling a surprise, of the good variety, awaits when the proteas come knocking this spring.

u_know_who
January 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
i think BD suck so bad that they should not be allowed to play test cricket. They SUCK!!!!!!:waiting:

djnaved
January 13, 2008, 08:38 PM
- rahim's keeping (at times)

Rahim's keeping is getting more worser... Guess how many catches he had missed in the 2nd test.. ya he caught ball with jumping jack style...but not enough

Ishtylish cricketer
January 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
Do we have any GOOD young keeper in Bd? Mushy is very young so he has time to improve but it would've been better if there were couple of guys also pushing for a place. Pilot is creeping up in age up he can't do any worse than what others did. Somehow he seems to be forgotten by the selectors.

djnaved
January 13, 2008, 09:18 PM
i would pick dheeman ghosh then, if there is no khaled masud..

mushfique's batting is getting worser and worser... i would say a golden duck boy

Masud is 31 years old, but he's in a good form..

Gowza
January 13, 2008, 09:18 PM
pilot is only 31, as long as he keeps in shape and keeps up his abilities he could play for another 5 years. dhiman ghosh is pushing for a place out of the young keepers and what's interesting is he's doing it in different ways in different formats. in one-day cricket his batting is why his name is standing out and in FC cricket it's his keeping stats that are standing out.

Slater582
January 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
Tamim Iqbal is a positive too, right? :confused:

Beamer
January 13, 2008, 10:18 PM
Things will turn around Asad bhaiya. It will. Be patient. Next generation will appreciate what we went through, players and fans alike. Meanwhile, just enjoy the little things e.g Shahadat's little bout with McCullum, Vettori's perplexed face during 161-0, Tamim's straight drive etc..

al Furqaan
January 13, 2008, 10:23 PM
Things will turn around Asad bhaiya. It will. Be patient. Next generation will appreciate what we went through, players and fans alike. Meanwhile, just enjoy the little things e.g Shahadat's little bout with McCullum, Vettori's perplexed face during 161-0, Tamim's straight drive etc..

oh yea, i have full faith that it will happen. and i do take the little things like rajib's spells as gems to be treasured. its what keeps us going.

Beamer
January 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
Good.

Russell2k7
January 13, 2008, 10:38 PM
Honestly there were "many" dissapointing things and only "few" un-dissapointing things. Things will turn around ONLY when we learn how to bat properly, bowling is not much of a problem. Ashraful's partnership with Tamim was one of the un-dissapointing things in 1st ODI.

zainab
January 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
I have been reading positives and negatives here about the team. Will not mention anything negative here, all has been said.
My positive is that they managed to bowl out NZ twice for under 400 runs, and no Kiwi batsman scored 100 runs. They did not have to bowl and toil in the field for a long time.
They did worse in SL, so many batsmen including Vaas scored centuries and Sangakkara scored double centuries. They were not bowled out for less than 100 runs. I PRAYED THAT THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN, EVEN THE NIGHT BEFORE WHEN THEY WERE 51/5, I PRAYED TO GOD TO ALLOW THEM TO PASS THE 100 MARK.

These cricketers are morally demoralized, so please let us give them some sympathy.
I know that fans are disappointed and frustrated, but wear their shoes for a while. I can imagine how they feel to return to BD after being humiliated, but it was worse for them after the SL tour.