PDA

View Full Version : Ecstacy from excruciating circumstances

israr
January 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
"Finally, their persistence has had its reward. Samuels yesterday crowned a series against tough opponents that confirmed his development and capacity to produce consistently. His 314 runs at an average of 52.33 occupied just over 17 hours all told. This was the discipline missing for too long. "
Quote from : http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/wivzimsa/content/current/story/330694.html

This was a player on whom the WICB selectors had renounced their faith in terms of developing as a successful player. But now, its quite funny how a player who was previously considered a futile option now seems a backbone of the current Caribbean team.

I am not defending anyone, rather voiving the solutions for improvement, and its not convincing enough to judge someone as incapable by just seeing one's performance on the field. Players might make progress and develop as a better player, but when they fail to deliver it often, we're deceived into the opinion they're not attempting to learn. How many tests have Tamim, Junaid, Sakib, Mushfiq, or say even Aftab have played before this NZ series. One of the biggest reasons we've failed in test cricket is because of our satisfaction of having 'instant performers', without pondering over long-term plans, and not believing in particular players when passing through a bad form.
The fact is; our players learn as they commit mistakes, but eventually, the frequency of those mistakes/errors reduces if a player is talented enough and keeps on experiencing tougher situations, but that doesn't happen overnight. Its a very time-consuming process, and it is in during this painful phases, where we actually loose hope and axe the player, without realising how significantly a player has individually improved during that period of time.

I foresee a great future, because after a long time, we've found a coach who has identified the 'core of players' with exceptional talent, who can be worldclass players if persisted with, and provided with the 'appropriate treatment' of the players, can bring us ecstacy in future from the agony we're suffering in right now.
And once a set of our current generation players grasp the 'correct way' of playing cricket at the highest level, our era of competetiveness shall commence and those 'good-old days of innings defeat' shall vanish into thin air.

cricket_king
January 13, 2008, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your very optimistic views israr. I guess we all foresaw a "bright future" for our cricket since we first started playing. Sad to say, the "bright future" is WAY overdue. We show small glimpses of shining light...only to fade away to a dull, insignificant bulb. So I only have one question...when will this "bright future" become present time?

al Furqaan
January 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
well said, brother.

there will definitely be brighter days.

BD-Shardul
January 14, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well Said israr Bhai.

zainab
January 14, 2008, 09:15 AM
I so agree with you with you Israr bhai. I was impressed by Marlon Samuels. He was being written off, he is good at hitting sixes and getting out stupidly, but I witnessed another side of him against SA He was so calm and focused and made a century. He did not go for those huge sixes, played a determined innings, also Bravo did well, even Ramdin buckled down .
They lost, but put up a fight. I hope BD can take a page out of their books.

I feel that one positive is that they did not allow the Kiwis to go past 400 runs. With better fielding and bowling, they could have been restricted them to under 300 runs in their innings. Missed chances and opportunities.
Hopefully, Siddons will start afresh with them, they have to put this tour behind them and focus now on the SA tour, and within 5 weeks, they can improve, they only had 7 days prep camp with Siddons before this tour. SA will be a much tougher team to play against, better calibre of players. and they must forget that they have beaten this team in the world cup, they must think that they are playing a team who have recently beaten Pakistan in their own backyard and whitewashed NZ who just whitewashed BD.