PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open

Bancan
January 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
First grand slam of the year. Probably going to end the way most of them ends. But hoping for someone other than Roger, Nadal winning this one. Maybe Roddick or Djokovic.

Heres a funny video from the open.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X-IRAEp9ft8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X-IRAEp9ft8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bancan
January 18, 2008, 07:09 PM
FFS Andy ........ sigh :hairpull::mad:

Arnab
January 18, 2008, 08:55 PM
Kohlschreiber hit a century. He had 104 winners. That has to be a record.

Arnab
January 19, 2008, 05:55 AM
Whew! Federer escaped a loss in the 3rd round. Got me a little nervous there with his casual errors.

Rumz_01
January 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
man..i cant watch the tennis becuz its on at the time i leave for College..bu so far i hear rafa and federer are doin great..!!!
Shame about Murray..but he's not english...
So much for english sports..

Bancan
January 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
Both Roddick and Federer's match were amazing. Both ended the way i didnt want it to.

Sohel
January 23, 2008, 02:49 AM
Great stuff from Jo Tsonga last night. Looks like he has finally beaten all sorts of injury after winning the US Open juniors title in 2003, and is on his way to delivering on some that promise at last. He plays refreshing, unpredictable tennis with electrifying footwork. The resemblance to Muhammad Ali helps too ... :)

Sad to see Serena and now Venus go.

Sohel
January 23, 2008, 08:30 AM
After watching Federer frustrating Blake today, I just realized how perfect he is. He glides around the court like McEnroe, finesses the ball like Borg, can hit hard like Sampras and has the quiet aggression and mental fortitude of Michael Chang at his best. The wonderfully humble personality which really makes us feel good to see nice guys finishing first, just ices the whole package.

Like 2001 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon, he's a modern classic that gets better with time. Boy am I glad to be living in the era of Tiger Woods and Roger Federer. It's all about competing for number 2 as long as these guys are around.

Gowza
January 23, 2008, 10:17 PM
quite an interesting open to date, federer nearly lost his #1 ranking and henin lost her winning streak. sharapova is currently dealing with jankovic handily who somehow made the semis of a slam with an injury. hantuchova made her first slam semi-final, nadal has reached his first oz open semi-final as has djokovic and djokovic has now made the semis at every slam when this time last year he hadn't even made one.

One World
January 23, 2008, 11:43 PM
After watching Federer frustrating Blake today, I just realized how perfect he is. He glides around the court like McEnroe, finesses the ball like Borg, can hit hard like Sampras and has the quiet aggression and mental fortitude of Michael Chang at his best. The wonderfully humble personality which really makes us feel good to see nice guys finishing first, just ices the whole package.

Like 2001 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon, he's a modern classic that gets better with time. Boy am I glad to be living in the era of Tiger Woods and Roger Federer. It's all about competing for number 2 as long as these guys are around.

Yes pleasure of the eye, watching Federer play is like watching the Grand Canyon with an awe. Dont know much about golf BTW.

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 01:38 AM
Yes pleasure of the eye, watching Federer play is like watching the Grand Canyon with an awe. Dont know much about golf BTW.

Just make the time, go out there, and play a few rounds if you have the chance bro. You WILL develop a really good habit, and the deeper appreciation for what top golfers do day in and day out. Golf is the ultimate "mind game" IMHO, not necessarily a "sport" but definitely the activity in between ... :)

Anyway, pulling for Maria to go ATW, and Jo to succumb to Fedex in the finals. I don't think he's ready to beat the MAYN yet.

One World
January 24, 2008, 02:03 AM
Just make the time, go out there, and play a few rounds if you have the chance bro. You WILL develop a really good habit, and the deeper appreciation for what top golfers do day in and day out. Golf is the ultimate "mind game" IMHO, not necessarily a "sport" but definitely the activity in between ... :)

Anyway, pulling for Maria to go ATW, and Jo to succumb to Fedex in the finals. I don't think he's ready to beat the MAYN yet.

Thanks for the tip, I am already feeling like go and register in a golf course :). Trust me you have power in your words. My immediate boss is from Utah and he kind of loves golf, a tremendous personality I must say.

I want Sharapova too reaches the peak and another Nadal-Federar fight would be awesome.

Gowza
January 24, 2008, 02:09 AM
golf is awesome fun, even if you don't get a chance to play a few holes go to a driving range and hit a few.

atm i'm just hoping federer can get past djokovic, no matter what the outcome the mens final will be a cracker. as for the womens it's down to sharapova and ivanovic, sharapova should come out on top but if ivanovic gets going watch out.

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 04:24 AM
Jo-Wi takes the first set 6-2 in 32 minutes, breaks the arrogant idiot twice and TOTALLY outclasses his clay-courting @$$ ... MUHAHAHAHA !

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:04 AM
Second set without a break so far, Jo-Wi leading 4-3 with El Cabron not choking yet. Amazing footwork, athleticism, execution of strategy and drop volleys from mon frere.

Great tennis ... :)

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:09 AM
Jo-Wi BREAKS El Cabron and takes a 5-4 lead in the second. Serving for the 2-0 lead ... YEAHHHHH !

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:13 AM
221 kmph serve to get to set point, and then BINGO, the second set belongs to Jo-Wi.

6-2, 6-3 and El Cabron facing a test of character he doesn't have yet ... :D

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:21 AM
This is Jo-Wi's first GS semi in 5th GS event appearance. It took Fedex 17 GSs to reach his first. We may be looking at the FUTURE fellas ... :)

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:27 AM
Bad overrule from the chair to deny Jo-Wi a deuce AFTER EC returned the serve. Mon frere argues his point with Asoka, then responds with an ace.

Holds his serve, 1-1 @ S3.

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:29 AM
Jo-Wi breaks EC again, 2-1 @ S3 ... chokee, CHokee, CHOKEE ... YEAHHHH!

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:33 AM
215 kmph to go up 40-0, then up 3-1 @ S3 moments later.

A star is JORN - Jo Owns Rafael Nadal ... :D

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:40 AM
4-2 @ S3 ... Jo-Wi holds his serve with ease ... only two more games away from a STRAIGHT SET VICTORY over El Cabron ... :D

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:43 AM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga BREAKS him again ... 5-2 @ S3 ... YEAHHHHH !!!

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 05:47 AM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the unseeded one from Le Mans yet to win a single ATP tournament, serving for the match ... 15-0 ... 30-0 shanked but in ... EC gets one back with a great pass, 30-15 ... 40-15, 2 match points with a viscious forehand winner ... VICTOIRE ... :joy::joy::joy: ... 6-2, 6-3, 6-2

The so called "armada" sinks again ... MUHAHAHAHA !!!

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 06:38 AM
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3751994d88.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Here's the Wiki update on the young man with serious variety in his game ... :)

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Petsonga (born April 17, 1985) is a professional tennis player. A French citizen, born in Le Mans, he has a French mother and Congolese father, Didier Tsonga. His career high ranking was #38, achieved on January 7, 2008. He had a successful junior career, winning the U.S. Open Juniors title in 2003 by defeating Marcos Baghdatis in the final, and also reached the semi-final stage of the other three Grand Slam events. At the 2007 Australian Open, Tsonga took the first set off Andy Roddick in a twenty points to eighteen tiebreak. Tsonga has victories over former number one players Carlos Moyà and Lleyton Hewitt, and he defeated number 14 seed Mikhail Youzhny, number 9 seed Andy Murray, number 8 seed Richard Gasquet, and number 2 seed Rafael Nadal in his last Grand Slam.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-Wilfried_Tsonga)

mahbubH
January 24, 2008, 09:23 AM
This Tsonga guy is something special. I liked the way he plays.. he looks like Great Ali!! I look forward to watching him against Roger.

Rumz_01
January 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
wow, rafa lost, my dad told me it was an amazing match and rafa was outplayed!!
i think djokovic is good, and am hoping he beats federer!! altho Tsonga will give both Federer and Djokovic a run for their money if he plays anywhere near hw well he has been playing!!

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
Tanked-up NoJo leads 2 sets to 0 and serving 3-4 in the 3rd set. Federer needs a break badly ... not this game, 4-4 ... worrisome ... :(

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 05:51 AM
Federer holds, 5-4 in the 3rd, time to break NoJo ... C'MON FED!

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 05:54 AM
NoJo holds, 5 a piece in the 3rd ... DAYM!

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 05:58 AM
Federer holds 6-5 in the 3rd, this would be a great time to break the Serb.

Chocolate and precision watches over ethnic cleansing any day ... C'MON CHAMP!

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 06:06 AM
Great point won by Federer to go up 0-15 on NoJo's serve ... now 0-30 off a Serbian error ... 15-30 straight down the T ... 30-30, forehand error from Federer ... 30-40, NoJo's error this time, SET POINT for the champ ... 40-40, great serve from NoJo ... Advantage Federer from an awsome forehand crosscourt, set point ... 40-40 from another great serve from the Serb ... Advantage NoJo, ace ... 6-6 to Tie Break, NoJo holds his serve and nerve ... :(

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 06:11 AM
Federer 2-0 in the TB ... 2-1 NoJo from another good serve ... 3-1 Federer off perfectly placed backhand, extended follow through and all ... 3-2 NoJo ... 3-3, unusual error from the champ ... :(

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 06:15 AM
4-4 Ace from the champ under pressure ... 5-4 champ as NoJo gets the side wrong ... 5-5 NoJo, good serve up the middle, Federer nets the return ... 6-5 NoJo, match point ... Federer loses in straight sets ... :(:(:(

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 06:16 AM
Jo Wi (oui) versus No (non) Jo in the finals ... Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to win it all Inshallah.

Better chance for him anyway.

cricket_pagol
January 25, 2008, 06:26 AM
Great game Novak... look forward to the final. I will be rooting for Novak.

cricket_king
January 25, 2008, 06:27 AM
DJOKOVICCCC! I am rubbing it into everyone single person that said Federer would win this one. Plus I've made $40 out of it :-D
WOOOO!!! NOVAAKKKKK! :D

reverse_swing
January 25, 2008, 06:58 AM
This is the first time since the 2005 French Open that neither Federer nor Nadal will not feature in the finale of a Grand Slam.:)

Miraz
January 25, 2008, 07:11 AM
I will be rooting for Tsonga, his progress is even more astounding.

Arnab
January 25, 2008, 07:12 AM
Federer had a great run. This was overdue.

But he played like **** today. Forehand was completely off in the first two sets, and backhand wasn't there either.

Tigers_eye
January 25, 2008, 09:25 AM
And I post on a tennis thread. The Monkey is off the back. Phew!! Contrats to Federer for taking Tennis to another level. It is not fun to watch demolition derby. Equal competition gives the fans thrill, excitement and mind boggling anticipation.

Thank you Novak. I care little who wins it now. Should be an entertaining final if the frenchman can muster some of his semi final performance.

Tigers_eye
January 25, 2008, 09:47 AM

Excellent observation Sohel Bhai. May I add the man at times on the court acts like the ultimate Robot of tennis Jim Courier and at times be as animated as Jimmy Connors. He has already reached the heights that no tennis player has been in the last few decades.

As for the ultimate competitor he is in number 5 in my book. Tiger has already surpassed Michael. Very close to catching up Armstrong a little far behind Ali ofcourse.

Rumz_01
January 25, 2008, 02:36 PM
Nice comments Sohel bhaiyyah!!
i was in bioloy wen i found out he lost..class was really quiet and i shouted YESS!! n my teacher was like..what?? i go yeh sir..lipids..lipids!! lol

bu he told me that Novak was like fed is not unbeatable i will beat him..and federer said that he hears comments like that all the time..

but either way im glad he lost!! lol..djokovic is a really awesome player! the match shud be great..!!!! cnt wait!

and womens..i hope Sharapova loses! Cmon Ivanovic!!

Bancan
January 25, 2008, 04:10 PM
Dont care who wins but my wish from the first post came true.

Sohel
January 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
Maria wins it AWL ... yoohoo ... :applause:

cricket_king
January 26, 2008, 03:10 AM
Ahh darn...I wanted Ana to win :(
Congrats to Maria anyway :)

One World
January 26, 2008, 05:00 PM
Maria Sharapova - Maria Sharapova

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4713812af4.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Dont you just love her!

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 05:43 AM
Match tied one set a piece, NoJo's leading 4-2 in the 3rd with JoWi serving. The momentum's for JoWi to wrest away from the Serb the way he did halfway through the 2nd set. Dramatic stuff.

JoWi holds, 3-4. Time to break the Serb Inshallah.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 05:47 AM
NoJo holds, 5-3 in the 3rd now ... aaargh!

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 05:57 AM
JoWi's in deep trouble in this one, unforced errors galore, NoJo's with 3 set points now ... one saved ... glorious pass from JoWi, one more set point saved ... now 40-40, do I smell a subtle shift in momentum ??? ... AD NoJo, forces the error ... back to D ... AD NoJo, his 5th set point ... back to D from a great serve from JoWi ... ACE, ADVANTAGE JoWi ... back to D, this may as well be the critical game of the match ... AD NoJo ... back to D with a drop shot that FINALLY works for Tsonga ... long, AD NoJo ... JoWi misses the drop shot at the net, NoJo takes the 3rd, leads 2-1 ... DAYM!

cricket_pagol
January 27, 2008, 05:58 AM
Novak won the second set... I think he is going to win this match. JoWi is making too many errors... I think it is due to lack of experience.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:02 AM
I can't stand NoJo. Bad attitude exemplified neurotic eyes about to pop out of the sockets and the menacing, almost Dracula-esque smile. Hailing from a crypto-fascist culture with a genocidal legacy doesn't help either ... he takes game 1 of the 4th set ... very unpleasant.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:05 AM
1-1 in the 4th, NoJo's leading 15-0, time for JoWi to find the stuff which make champions, BIG forehand, 15-15 ... C'MON JoWi !!! ... 30-15 and 40-15 off another JoWi error, misses the drop shot, 40-30 now ... JoWi misses another one, NoJo holds ... :(

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:08 AM
im going for Tsonga today...
too bad he is behind 2 sets to 1.

C'mon "the thief".

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:10 AM
JoWi FINALLY wins a long rally packed with deep shots, 15-0 (1-2/1-2).

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:12 AM
30-0 JoWi, now 40-0, you can just SEE NoJo losing momentum ... JoWi holds with AUTHORITY, 2-2 in the 4th ... YEAHHHH!

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hailing from a crypto-fascist culture with a genocidal legacy .

my feelings were exactly the same Sohel bhai....

....till i met a serbian girl.... ....
and the rest.... as they say...
(is) history (now).

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:19 AM
15-0 NoJo ... 15-15, is "CHOKOVICH" beginning to surface at last ??? ... not yet, 30-15 ... hits the net and goes wide, 40-15 ... 40-30, nice play from JoWi ... NoJo errs MUHAHAHA, 40-40 ... AD NoJo, great backhand played behind JoWi ... NoJo holds, 3-2.

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:21 AM
Tsonga needs to break a serve soo badly....

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:23 AM
my feelings were exactly the same Sohel bhai....

....till i met a serbian girl.... ....
and the rest.... as they say...
(is) history (now).

Generally speaking, most people tend to be decent enough as individuals until they find some sort of bandwagon to jump on and dehumanize themselves in the process. I was involved with the UN's HR related activities in the region and have been there quite a few times. The most disturbing thing for me personally was the complicity and support of ordniary Serbs to the "cause" of genocide and ethnic cleansing. Off topic.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:25 AM
Tsonga needs to break a serve soo badly....

My fingers are crossed bro. I haven't been this excited about a tennis match since the Chang-Lendl epic in the French Open years ago ... NoJo leads 4-3 in the 4th.

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:25 AM
Damn Djoker is holding his game very strongly.

I think Tsonga is cracking under pressure.

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:28 AM
4 all 4th set.

C'mon Tsonga, break this serve.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:30 AM
There's something wonderfully graceful and unhurried about JoWi, he's hanging in there, 30-15 ... 30-30 as NoJo comes into the net from an excellent approach shot ... error from NoJo, 40-30 ... JoWi HOLDS, time to break the Serb NOW !

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:33 AM
Just long from JoWi after that long rally, 15-0 NoJo ... an error and 30-0, DAYM! ... 40-0, great volley from the Serb ... 5-4 NoJo ... :(

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:33 AM
Damn... Djoko leads 5-4.

Tsonga serves to stay in the match.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:36 AM
Good leave from JoWi, 15-0 ... 15-15, clumsily rushed shot ... 30-15 JoWi ... now 40-15, THAT'S THE WAY ! ... he holds, 5-5 in the 4th.

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:38 AM
5 all!
Bring it on NoDjo.

C'mon Tsonga, singa louda.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:39 AM
30-30 with NoJo serving, the door opens a little for Tsonga ... 30-40 from an error, BREAK POINT Tsonga, FINALLY!!!

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:42 AM
40-40, now NoJo gets the AD from a good forehand ... he continues to hold, 6-5 ... :(

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:46 AM
40-15 JoWi ... DFs into 40-30 ... and now a tie-break as Tsonga holds, 6-6 in the 4th with himself trailing 1-2 ... what a match!

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 06:47 AM
6 all!!

Tie break....

c'mon Tsonga!

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:50 AM
Tsonga misses a volley, NoJo leads 1-0 in the TB ... now trails 0-2 ... finally a point, Tsonga trails 1-2 with NoJo serving ... 3-1 NoJo ... Tsonga misses, 4-1 NoJo ... :(

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:51 AM
DF from Tsonga, 1-5 ... what a test of nerves !

cricket_pagol
January 27, 2008, 06:53 AM
I am beginning to like JoWi (I have not seen him before)... poor guy made some unforced errors.

Sohel
January 27, 2008, 06:57 AM
4 championship points for NoJo ... and it is done. My least favorite tennis player after Nadal wins his first GS, and my new favorite loses his first ... :(:(:(

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will be back Inshallah. His unforced errors in the 2nd set gave it away to the Serb.

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 07:22 AM
Congrats to Djokovic for his first GS.
he won fair and square.

Both played simply top class tennis.

But i guess the man who beats Federer, deserves to win the title and the cool
AUD 1.4 million.

Bancan
January 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
Congrats Novak.

Now i have to wait till Wimbledon to see Roddick do something.

ialbd
January 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
Congrats to Djokovic, a well deserved grand slam......

Rabz
January 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
Congrats Novak.

Now i have to wait till Wimbledon to see Roddick do something.

Wimbledon and Roddic? I beg to differ...

"The King" is going to bite back real hard.
He will come back with a vengance.

Bancan
January 27, 2008, 02:12 PM
I dont expect a win. But a trip to the semis maybe the final wont be bad.

I have a feeling Roger will win the French.

al-Sagar
January 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
i would have loved tsongo win it

Rumz_01
January 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
I dont expect a win. But a trip to the semis maybe the final wont be bad.

I have a feeling Roger will win the French.

yh, for some reason i dnt think rafa will be able to hold on to it this year..hopin to see great competition..The french has to be my fave of all of them!!

Gowza
January 29, 2008, 04:26 PM
will be tough for federer the rest of the year, nadal and novak are hot on his heels. i thought last year nadal would fall just short at RG but he came through so it will be interesting to see how everyone goes especially now that novak has officially jumped the gap from the rest of the field to nadal and federer.

Ishtylish cricketer
January 29, 2008, 11:01 PM
Tsonga guy is good. I still can't believe Federer lost. Novak is a great young player though. Future #1 once Federer retires, I think.

Gowza
January 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
if tsonga stays healthy he'll be right up there contending for the slams consistently. anyway i don't think federer will hold the #1 position until he retires. most likely he'll lose it either this year or next year imo, if he had won AO he would have held it until wimbledon for sure but being that he lost in the semis nadal has a chance to take it from him before the roland garros i believe.