PDA

View Full Version : To: BCB

reyme
January 18, 2008, 06:40 PM
Today George W Bush annouced that US needs a shot in the hand to boost US economy. I say BD cricket also reached a critical stage and needs serious help! Yes HELP! We might be ignoring it, but the fact remains, media in foreign countries started a hue and cry to justify BD TEST cricket status, and maybe even ODI status based on the recent NZ tour performance. I dont have many references available but if you go to NZ newspapers websites you will see plenty. Some evidence:

1. Australia dont want to host test matches with BD in the next tour
2. BD is most likely to be ommiteed in the nect ICCCT
3. India is showing reluctance to play a 3 nation ODI series with BD

Other countries might take similar suits and very soon we might find ourselves in a position where elite teams (top 8 that is) will start giving excuses to opt out of the test matches and soon ODI matches with BD. In cricket it has become "all about money". It is now a game of money: betting money, making money, earning money. BCCI just signed a $1 Billion contract for the ICL and that is just for 20-20 games. Superstars are poised to make $400K from this league! So the question is why would anyone waste their time to play BD if the series is NOT fiancially feasible?

We started to blame other countries to left us behind or opt us out for upcoming test matches, ODI series etc. but the fact is unless the series involving BD does not generate financial gain for the other party involve, we will continue to lose ground. Its not about being asian, its not about ranking or racism, its not about being a so called minnow, its really truly ALL about money.

So what will be our shot in the hand? I request our fellow fans to come up with some solution. This would be mine:

1. Cancel all the salary contracts with the players. Let the players earn their money with their own hard work in the middle. For example:
1 run in an ODI: $25
1 run in a test: $50
1 wicket in ODI: $100
1 wicket in a test: $200

Give a cut or share to the selectors and the coach. No salary to the selectors just give them share from what the players are earning in the field. Say I am the selector. I would be forced to put the best batsmen out there, since they would be earning my bread and butter. Batsmen would have all the reasons to stay as long as possible and the bowlers would do their best to get a wicket. The ameturish attitude thus just stops right then and there.

2. Bring in the foreign players in a bunch. Yes open the floodgate in the premier and first division leagues. Dont set any limit. Advantage? The local players now have to perform at a higher level just to stay competitive. Not just a few from the A team, all the players now will get the advantage to play all kinds of foreign players, which is the sole reason to send the A teams outside the country to begin with. It will save money for expensive A team visits and will allow all the players to play in a international level atmosphere. Dont forget thats how we started to improve in cricket when Abahani, Mohammedan brought players like Fernando, Rodrigo, Raman Lamba, Tikolo. We made amazing progress during that time. Same will happen again, let the clubs bring all the players, as many foreign players they want.

3. Make the tournaments international. Yes, by letting club teams bring in star cricketers from other countries. It will draw the crowds in a large numbers in the stadiums. More people on the field, more ticket sales, more media interest! Meaning more corporate sponsorship, more money for everybody! Its all about media attention and money, trust me, learn from the US Footbal, Baseball, Basketball league. Learn the art of professionalism and making money for our players.

4. Make the School Cricket part of yearly event. Start every year January 1st, end on March 31st like college basketball in the US. Let the local business support and sponsor these teams and coaching staff with their logos on their jerseys, hats and around the field. You will see money will never be a problem. These are our future cricketers, once nourished they are bound to bring us glories.

5. Make frinedship with the media. Media can help us taking our game to the next level. In the US, media decides how and when the games would be scheduled and broadcast. Make them part of the effort, sponsors want to see their products gets marketed, so once the media is involved, sponsors will run after cricketers and BCB. Eventually open your own TV channel or cricket magazines.

Hopefully one day teams like Australia will not cancel our matches, rather come to us to arrange a series with them, like what they do with India right now. The sooner that happens, the better is for everybody. Go tigers!

reyme
January 18, 2008, 07:06 PM
Time is running out. Make a dust bowl in Mirpur and Chittagong. send the players for practice right away to get started. As planned 10 day prep for SA is too little. Maybe this time Ash will say they did now practice in a slow pitch for a long time. This time we need to win a test match and the ODI series. Who knows, we might not play a test match in near future after this series...AUS already trying to opt out, GOD knows who's next..

al Furqaan
January 18, 2008, 11:39 PM
not a bad idea in terms of pay structure.

Beamer
January 19, 2008, 12:12 AM
Some very good ideas reyme. You should put together your thoughts more often, so we can have a go at each other, like the old days!!

One World
January 19, 2008, 12:50 AM
Scary!

kalpurush
January 19, 2008, 01:34 AM
monetary plan is not practical, though, others seems good...:saint:

BD-Shardul
January 19, 2008, 05:17 AM
Excellent idea. But it may backfire. Emnitei player ra naki pressure er jonno khelte pare na. Then the above monetary plan will add more pressure...

nsd3
January 19, 2008, 07:44 AM
The idea was to come up with a plan from the fans and the thread generator had put one forward. Rather than criticising on the drawbacks of others' plans I believe the need for the moment is about bringing in good solid plans to turn the table around for BD cricket.

How about BCB takes one year self isolation from overseas Test Matches like Zimbos (given the performances) and start concentrating on the NCL in line with the above plan given by the thread generator (bringing in foreign players, making both bouncy and batting wickets in separate areas, and test the players in the Tests in the home series. That way things will be easier for every other country to give BD one year to improve and would be interested to play again in one year time. Otherwise BD might not be able to attract others to play after one year (by that time every member might evade any tour one by one).

Any other option.....? Let's hope for the best of BD cricket.

zainab
January 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
The idea was to come up with a plan from the fans and the thread generator had put one forward. Rather than criticising on the drawbacks of others' plans I believe the need for the moment is about bringing in good solid plans to turn the table around for BD cricket.

How about BCB takes one year self isolation from overseas Test Matches like Zimbos (given the performances) and start concentrating on the NCL in line with the above plan given by the thread generator (bringing in foreign players, making both bouncy and batting wickets in separate areas, and test the players in the Tests in the home series. That way things will be easier for every other country to give BD one year to improve and would be interested to play again in one year time. Otherwise BD might not be able to attract others to play after one year (by that time every member might evade any tour one by one).

Any other option.....? Let's hope for the best of BD cricket.

Good Idea! If these countries refuse to play Test cricket with Bangladesh, then it is worse, 10 days prep time for a series is not enough time. The aussies are constantly preparing for any series they play.

bdchamp20
January 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
good ideas reyme, i liked the selectors pay idea especially. we could do that or we could just make the coach the only selector, we pay him 20 lakhs a month he should do some more than just facing interviews, he should be sent videos of domestic performances and when in BD he should attend NCL and Premier League games and he should make all the decisions and if things go wrong we will know who is to blame just like in football.

rainmaniac
January 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
nice idea...
only if bcb was really that smart to understand these things...

Ishtylish cricketer
January 19, 2008, 11:27 AM
No...I don't agree with financial reward for making runs in ODIs...people will use up balls and just conentrate on run making and not scoring at a decent pace. This would allow guys like Rajin Saleh and JO to dominate. For bowlers definitely either in tests or ODIs. Batting in tests doesn't depend on strike rate however, if you can play quickly and make runs that would allow bolwers more time to win the game. Financial rewards in batting should be available for those sticking to plans or not chasing bad delivery, playing loose shots, penalty for not taking 1st run fast, etc should be implented and shown to the public to embarrass the likes of Bashar, and even some of our younger players who don't excute the basics.

reyme
January 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
In the test "more run more money" is more applicable. I agree "more runs less strike rate" in ODI is not that attractive. But players will know if their strike rate is too slow then there are others on the sidelines to take their spot. Do you think if JO score a 50 but eating up 200 balls he will get another chance next time?

What other ways we can motivate our player to spend more time in the middle? Now a days we cant even bat for 50 overs in the ODI. I remember we got out within 13 overs in a 20-20 match, possibly against AUS. Should ICC introduce 10-10 for the sake of BD batsmen?

MarufH
January 21, 2008, 11:57 AM
Good thoughts.....

reyme
January 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
Some very good ideas reyme. You should put together your thoughts more often, so we can have a go at each other, like the old days!!

Same old ideas really :-) Nothing fancy. Anyone followed the BD cricket for few years probably thought of those already anyways. I just expressed some of it. Yes I am up for the go at things like the old days!

reyme
January 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
Taking a total isolation from the test cricket may backfire even it is for a year.

zainab
January 21, 2008, 04:29 PM
Sri Lanka is touring BD this year, also BD is touring SA, so with these 2 test against SA, and if there is none against Australia, then BD will have 8 tests for the year.

I also read somewhere that NZ is visiting BD, dont know how true it is though, but still 8 tests for the year is quite good going. BD will definitely improve this year.

FagunerAgun
January 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
Good ideas. I like the monetary and domestic cricket plan and strategies, BD cricket players must be able to handle their mental stress, otherwise they are not fit in this level of the game.