PDA

View Full Version : Questioning the effort

tonoy
January 21, 2008, 08:51 PM
I might be a tad harsh to bring up such topic. However, I feel it should be raised after observing such recent dismal performances. It is time that we question the work ethic of our players. It is no doubt that these guys have what it takes to become great players, they have it in them.
After seeing some of the recent test matches, one can only ask "Are they really trying their best to learn from their mistakes?". It seems, these guys are not that motivated and somehow I just dont see the enthusiasm in the game(especially at batting) I mean, how often do we read about Ashraful practicing hour after hour at the nets or Mushfiq practicing on his keeping position or Mashrafe bowling extra overs of yorkers each day or Shariar Nafees practicing on his stance?
We all read and hear about how Dravid practicing endlessly on the nets. Or How Mathew Hayden(ma favorite) perfected his flawed techniques. All the great players had earned their greatness to hard work and perseverance. We all know about "practice makes perfect" And so nothing comes automatically, you have to earn it. After all, we all know that to ace a test, you have to study real hard.
I know most of these guys are real young. However, that is no excuse for not working hard. They are at an international level, and so there should be a more professional approach towards it. Getting married right after you make a contract with BCB isn't one. Coaches and big facilities are nice. But at the end of the day, only they themselves know what their weaknesses are and how to fix it.

What are your thoughts?

DJ Sahastra
January 21, 2008, 08:54 PM
I might be wrong but i feel many BD players don't take their careers seriously. Many shots they play bank on such carefree extent as to bely any signs that their career might be at stake.

Or maybe they just don't care that much. Perhaps BCB should start signing Crore Taka per year deal for regular players. You'll suddenly see everyone trying to hang on much more.

cricket_king
January 21, 2008, 09:12 PM
I might be wrong but i feel many BD players don't take their careers seriously. Many shots they play bank on such carefree extent as to bely any signs that their career might be at stake.

Or maybe they just don't care that much. Perhaps BCB should start signing Crore Taka per year deal for regular players. You'll suddenly see everyone trying to hang on much more.

You're right. Players like Aftab Ahmed especially has a laid back attitude which tends to suggest that they just aren't serious about their cricket. They need to realize that not only is it their career, but it's also their pride in representing their country. Perhaps the "Crore Taka" idea isn't a bad one either, however it does run the risk of selfish play...

Gowza
January 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
what they need to realise is that they're lucky to be in the position they're in. they get to play a game to earn a living, sure it's hard work, but it's a lot more fun than sitting in an office or hauling bricks all day. if they want to be the best they have to have a work ethic as good or better than the best, in the current case they should be comparing their work ethic with australian and indian players. i'm pretty sure siddons will teach them good work ethic if it's not already up to standard.

zainab
January 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
what they need to realise is that they're lucky to be in the position they're in. they get to play a game to earn a living, sure it's hard work, but it's a lot more fun than sitting in an office or hauling bricks all day. if they want to be the best they have to have a work ethic as good or better than the best, in the current case they should be comparing their work ethic with australian and indian players. i'm pretty sure siddons will teach them good work ethic if it's not already up to standard.

I agree! Siddons is the man to do it. He is Australian and we know how the Aussies are serious about their cricket, they practise hard and are always striving for perfection. In fact, even though they are so good, the players always say that they can do better. I hope these young boys can really be very serious and dedicated to bring some pride to Bangladesh in the future.

Pundit
January 21, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think after this thread we don't need anymore threads on why BD loses so often.

I fully agree.

al Furqaan
January 21, 2008, 11:20 PM
yea, they are pretty much just goin along for the ride.

kalpurush
January 22, 2008, 03:18 AM
বসিবি যদি খেলোয়ারদের অজুহাতগুলির পথ বন্ধ করে দেয় নীচের কাজগুলি করে, যেমনঃ
* বাউন্সি পিচ বানানো
* দেশে বেশি করে টেষ্ট খেলা
* সঠিক এবং নিরপেক্ষ দল নিরবাচন, ইত্যাদি, ইত্যাদি...

তাহলেই ওরা কোনঠাসা হয়ে বুঝবে - কত ধানে কত চাল?!;)
[বাংলা]ভাল খেল, নয়তো ঘাস কাট...[/বাংলা]

BD-Shardul
January 22, 2008, 03:29 AM
Yep, BD players are not serious at all.

Ahmed_B
January 22, 2008, 06:39 AM
It seems, these guys are not that motivated and somehow I just dont see the enthusiasm
This surely is a crucial factor in doing anything upto the standard.. be it sports or career or life in general. We've had similar discussions before on commitment of our players.

But to be honest.. it comes from the culture as a whole. This group of around 30 players are'nt the only victims of 'cultural lethargy'.. it rather comes from the land where they have grown up. Motivation is a psyche which is related to several other very important mindsets like dream, confidence, self-respect, ethical commitment, leadership abilities and dynamism in decision making.

Unfortunately... the stage of international cricket is quite tough these days.. and it surely isnt a place to teach players all those psychological aspects. It has to come from the national culture as a whole. As a result.. only the 'naturally tough' players start doing well... while the rest goes on suffering.

lamisa
January 22, 2008, 10:50 AM
crore taka toh parley ditoi probably but etto taka pabe koi theke?gp toh mone hoy 2 crore dey but i m not sure according 2 wat period of time:confused:

Shobha
January 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
for some reason i just dont see the passion in this team. i remember back in the days players used to wear that shirt with pride and passion and ofcourse patriotism:flag:, you could just see it in their faces.(remember when BD beat kenya at the icc final and how crazzzzzzzyyyyyyyyy they went). so yeah perhaps the players are lacking that extra effort:-|

akabir77
January 22, 2008, 12:48 PM
they r kids so they don't give a damm. When i was 18/19 i was like that too. Every thing was a game. Who care what will happen next. And no one can challenge them as our fans and management both have put this in their head that you guys r talented and the oldies r bunch of crap players . the oldies can't do anything so they think who will replace me. the old ones doesn't know how to come down the track and hit six and on the process they get out.

Thats why i feel like the kids should have not given chance so quickly no matter how bad our oldies r. now we r back to the same place instead to getting forward inch by inch. we wanted to jump ahead by making a 20 year aged team...

So now every one is complaining... You want young kids in test team you get this. I see people crying to take our test status away, those same people wanted a team of kids just because they were talented. you get what you deserve now deal with it... you asked for a young team and this is what they going to do. I didn't agree with you guys but i am not jumping the ship as i knew this would happen. but some people thought our team will play like australia once we have all these talented players...

Fazal
January 22, 2008, 12:51 PM
For some reason I also don't see the same passion in my heart now a days.... repeated bad losses do that to you... wheather if you are a fan, a coach or a player.... the end result is same... loss of passion and motivation.

Nocturnal
January 22, 2008, 03:35 PM
For some reason I also don't see the same passion in my heart now a days.... repeated bad losses do that to you... wheather if you are a fan, a coach or a player.... the end result is same... loss of passion and motivation.

same here.

Shobha
January 22, 2008, 04:41 PM
my passion has just comeback!

Dhakablues
January 22, 2008, 04:55 PM
same here.

Same here. I dont know what triggered it,,, perhaps it started with the team selection and then with the players lack of committment, or attitude of not caring about country's pride, the players dropping catches/giving away wickets/ captain's "tota pakhi kotha barta"... What's so exciting about anything these days of this team?

I mean I will still follow whats going on but I suddenly feel tired of this management and team. It came to a point that even I started to beleive that we dont deserve to play test cricket before we correct our acts. Enough of this innings/9 wickets/<2.5 days defeats...:confused:

Electrequiem
January 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think each player depends on someone else to do their work for them.

Nocturnal
January 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
Same here. I dont know what triggered it,,, perhaps it started with the team selection and then with the players lack of committment, or attitude of not caring about country's pride, the players dropping catches/giving away wickets/ captain's "tota pakhi kotha barta"... What's so exciting about anything these days of this team?

I mean I will still follow whats going on but I suddenly feel tired of this management and team. It came to a point that even I started to beleive that we dont deserve to play test cricket before we correct our acts. Enough of this innings/9 wickets/<2.5 days defeats...:confused:

totally agree with you. but then the other part of me says, we are only a series away to bring back all the pride, it could be the coming series against SA- one odi win and some decent fight in test series- it's better be. Cheer up! :)

kalpurush
January 23, 2008, 12:51 AM
totally agree with you. but then the other part of me says, we are only a series away to bring back all the pride, it could be the coming series against SA- one odi win and some decent fight in test series- it's better be. Cheer up! :)
"The sun came out and Bangladesh has burst into flowers" ...not too far to be true as was before.:D

BD-Shardul
January 23, 2008, 01:45 AM
The good news is that Eid is very close, something very special gonna happen soon inshallah. Forecast of Eid? Fans losing interest. :D

Sohel
January 23, 2008, 06:41 AM
An insider's view* from the recent nets: -

I. Extra hard workers (more extra sessions): Ashraful, Zunaed, Tamim, Farhad, Shakib and Mehrab.

II. Hard workers (100% focus but not much extra): Rajib, Alok, Enam, Rasel, Rajin, Nazim, Pilot and Sajid.

III. Casual (just enough): Aftab, Mashrafe, Razzak, Tushar, Riyad, Zia, Golla and Mushy (was a hard worker before his father's troubles with the law).

IV. Lazy until dhatani (now "casual" to "hard" as observed during Barisal's sessions): Abir.

V. Lazy (showin' up is enough): HaBa, Rafique and Nadif.

* Don't ask ... :)

arifur81
January 23, 2008, 07:31 AM
I might be a tad harsh to bring up such topic. However, I feel it should be raised after observing such recent dismal performances. It is time that we question the work ethic of our players. It is no doubt that these guys have what it takes to become great players, they have it in them.
After seeing some of the recent test matches, one can only ask "Are they really trying their best to learn from their mistakes?". It seems, these guys are not that motivated and somehow I just dont see the enthusiasm in the game(especially at batting) I mean, how often do we read about Ashraful practicing hour after hour at the nets or Mushfiq practicing on his keeping position or Mashrafe bowling extra overs of yorkers each day or Shariar Nafees practicing on his stance?
We all read and hear about how Dravid practicing endlessly on the nets. Or How Mathew Hayden(ma favorite) perfected his flawed techniques. All the great players had earned their greatness to hard work and perseverance. We all know about "practice makes perfect" And so nothing comes automatically, you have to earn it. After all, we all know that to ace a test, you have to study real hard.
I know most of these guys are real young. However, that is no excuse for not working hard. They are at an international level, and so there should be a more professional approach towards it. Getting married right after you make a contract with BCB isn't one. Coaches and big facilities are nice. But at the end of the day, only they themselves know what their weaknesses are and how to fix it.

What are your thoughts?
100% agree with your statement and I think we should give Siddon same power as our Moulobi (Huzur in madrassa) so that he can start kicking A****S of these lazy bunch of jokers. waiting:

zainab
January 23, 2008, 07:42 AM
I am hopeful that Siddons will improve the work ethics of this team, after all, he is Aussie and by now he has observed all aspects of weaknesses of his team, He will instill that fighting spirit in them.
I dont know about bowling, but he will definitely improve their fielding and batting.
The Saffers have very good fielders especailly Gibbs and DeVilliers. He has to improve the slip fielding.

akabir77
January 23, 2008, 10:49 AM
i wrote this in another thread

WHy do they need a coach all the time? They could just work on staying on the pitch for 3/4 hours a day or do catching practice. mirpure got all the facilities for them? noo you know what they r doing? after coming back from such a HOLIDAY our captain went to saint martin with his friends? yes thats what prothom-alo reported yesterday. they r not resting. they r having fun staying up late and there is no discipline and thats why they try to do KHOCHA after few balls (in his word 15/16 balls).

They r care free....

I am sure only Rajen Saleh, SN and TI r working on their problems rest is having fun. But we don't take RS as he is talent less...

Tigers_eye
January 23, 2008, 11:04 AM
...* Don't ask ... :)
have to ask:
Is JS the yellow or the red one in your Avatar?

I hope he becomes the red one and get the II to V players and push them in to "extra dedicated hard worker" group.

Apney dhakatey ki koren? Modhupur thekey kisu "beth" kintey paren na? Our national team is not in PhD program. They are still at "patshala" level. And at "Patshala" level beth rules. Go do some productive work and buy some beth and supply them to JS and make his job a little easy. Ami nijay'i kortam but not there now so can't.

AKabir bhai,
very disturbing prothom-alo information dilen. Now I need a joke.

akabir77
January 23, 2008, 11:14 AM
T_E bhai i am still on the one that u PM d me. Every time i read it it feels like i am reading it for the 1st time... ha ha ha.. shiri...

tonoy
January 23, 2008, 11:25 AM
i wrote this in another thread

very disturbing. This is why our level will not go up to the likes of the top 4 playing teams. Talent my foot. We dont need such careless players.

Fazal
January 23, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hmmm.... looks like TE is send the bash and shiri jokes to every one.

Tigers_eye
January 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hmmm.... looks like TE is send the bash and shiri jokes to every one.
Nope only selected few. Who can take a joke as a joke. Check your PM again. You will see how many I had cc'ed.

Dhakablues
January 23, 2008, 01:50 PM
Ha,, Banorer Toilakto Bash,,,,

Fazal
January 23, 2008, 02:30 PM
Ha,, Banorer Toilakto Bash,,,,

Na Bhai ei Bash sheyee Bash na... no oil added... its khocha khocha Muli Bash. Kosto aro beshi.

Ishtylish cricketer
January 23, 2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah I also wonder how they consistently fall for the same trap and repeat the same mistakes over and over. I think Bangladesh before any tour should get to the country they are touring 1 month before any test and play 3-4 first class match before playing any test. Have two sets of players. One for test and one for ODI. Our players cannot switch onto test mode, playing so much ODIs.

CHABAN
January 24, 2008, 08:43 AM

What are your thoughts?

International cricket is a tough place and these young warriors are doing something that teams previously have not done - Compete well. This is already visible in the one day game where no team would dare counting a BD game as a 'minnow' game anymore.

It is difficult for anybody to say whether the team practice and prepare hard or that they dont learn or that they are unprofessional. There is a thin line between hitting a 140 KPH ball for a six and getting out...a very thin line. I am sure some of it is mental, some of it is exposure and some of it is practice. I am sure that the team is going through all this and things will improve. I am also very sure that only some will survive this and most others will not. Surely, as time progresses things will get better and better. Instead of defining a series or even a year as progress, it is better to look at groups of 5 years and compare. I am confident that will show a team that is increasingly doing well and competing (Runs per batsman, runs per wicket and so on). It is only a matter of time when the team will do as well as other South Asian Countries....

AsifTheManRahman
January 24, 2008, 10:09 AM
There may very well be a lack of effort, however, I wouldn't think it is intentional if it is indeed the case, barring maybe one or two. No individual with the slightest bit of drive for self improvement would intentionally go easy on his game.

Tigers_eye
January 24, 2008, 10:40 AM
...No individual with the slightest bit of drive for self improvement would intentionally go easy on his game.
No, they do. Read Flemings interview few days back and was mentioning after certain runs say a fifty, he thought his place in the team was safe in the beginning of his career and did not concentrate on the game. If he can think that way our players tho kothakar chhar. I think our players limit is 20. Once they hit that wow, many may think their job is done. Otherwise there is no explanation of irrational shots against the flow of the game, say right before/after lunch/tea etc. NI, SN, HB, Aftab, Ash, Shakib, Mash, Rafique all are guilty of these things countless times. Habitual. One can not play test in ODI or twenty/20 mode. The meaning of test is "porikkha". If these boys don't no what examination they are giving then these type of results are bound to happen. Test is testing batsman's patience. Our players have very little of that. I remember Gavaskar commenting on "which show they want to catch? 3 o'clock show?"

lamisa
January 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
arey bhai ar koto din dhore just 1ta match jite ager lojja ektu katabo?series win kobe pabo?:hairpull:

akabir77
January 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
arey bhai ar koto din dhore just 1ta match jite ager lojja ektu katabo?series win kobe pabo?:hairpull:

wait another 20 years for that...

akabir77
January 25, 2008, 11:12 AM
Even Harbajan and Kumble scores 60+ and 80+ runs against Australia and our tail dances on the pitch... We need to bring harbajan as our tail end batting coach...

Tigers_eye
January 25, 2008, 11:20 AM
Even Harbajan and Kimble scores 60+ and 80+ runs against Australia and our tail dances on the pitch... We need to bring harbajan as our tail end batting coach...
delete the word "tail end"

al Furqaan
January 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
There may very well be a lack of effort, however, I wouldn't think it is intentional if it is indeed the case, barring maybe one or two. No individual with the slightest bit of drive for self improvement would intentionally go easy on his game.

i don't think its *intentional*...its just they get bogged down by the situation, overwhelmed. but in reality there is no reason to be overwhelmed. 161-0 is not exactly a terrible position to be in. i think they lose fight quite easily, unless a win is absolutely in the offing, in which case they go in for the kill.

they don't know how to struggle for extended periods of time. and complacency is a big killer as well.

1) patience
2) shot selection

if JS can fix these 2 things only, he will make our Test team 10 times better.

reyme
January 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
Spot on Al Furqaan. I also think situation bogged them down easily such as:

1. A sudden wicket fall (wickets tends to fall in pairs or in chunks)
2. Bad decision by umpires (mentally demoralize the team, wayward batting/bowling thereafter)
3. Few attacking shots by opposition batsmen (Haba used to get defensive right away)

I think the solution to this is:

1. Batsmen sometimes need to go to field, to achieve a personal goal, such stay in the middle as much as possible regardless of the outcome of the match or play sensible shopt let it be attacking. This is what Khaled Mashud did right before that upset win against India. They had no chance of winning, but that "never die" attitute brought us within 13 run from victory.

2. This has become very annoying and mind boggling. Why most of the bad decisions have to go against us? Cant BCB complain to ICC or directly to the umpires? What kind of minnow meow meow losing attitude is this? Have you seen what BCCI did to Bucknor? Our team manager does not have any guts what so ever. Look man we have 6 batsmen, 2 of them will fail, 1 will struggle and 2 get forced out by partial and biased umpires. Then what are the chances for them to recover? We dont have 6 bradman in our team.

3. Sometimes defense is the best offense, but often our captains get nervous easily. I mean if you are bound to lose, then lose with some fight and dignity. Show people you turned out in the field to fight like a gladiator until you die.

Moshin
January 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
Yep I think the players are only in it for the money only, the guys are probably making millions of taka's every game!!! they probably have the biggest mansions in bangladesh!!! probably even have swimming pools in back garden!!!:-D

Gowza
January 25, 2008, 04:55 PM
i think alot of it is to do with concentration, concentration plays a role in every aspect of cricket. if you lose a bit of concentration then it means your shot selection is effected, technique is effected etc patience is something the players need but if i was the coach i'd be telling them to play ball by ball and to play each ball by merit. if it's a good ball it should be blocked or left, if it's a terrible ball it should be put away. it's much easier to be patient for just one ball as opposed to a whole session so if your mindset is one ball at a time then effectively your just telling yourself to be patient for one ball and eventually you will have faced 100 balls.

also with shot selection, players should only play shots they know they'll complete properly at least 9 out of 10 times. it's like in tennis, when players are training there are shots they play in practice but not in matches until they can consistently make the shot 9 out of 10 times. if you can only complete it successfully 2 or 3 times out of 10 then it's not worth the risk.

akabir77
January 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
but gowza bhai this what goes though our boys mind when they go out to bat
[বাংলা]"একটা ব ল ঠেকাই"[/বাংলা]
after playing one ball
[বাংলা]"আর একটা ব ল ঠেকাই"[/বাংলা]
after playing another ball
[বাংলা]"একটা ব ল ঠেকাই... আছা ঐ টা কি রেয়? অহ বাচুর । আমার বাচুরটা জানি কি করে। আম্মা আবার অই তারেয় চিয়ারা দেয় নাই ত! তাহলেয় কিন্তু গাভির সব দুধ অ খেয় নিবে। আমি কিচুই পাব না... দুরর অউট হয়ে গেলাম।"[/বাংলা]