PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh will get better if they stop playing Tests

Faisal
January 24, 2008, 01:18 AM
Bangladesh will get better if they stop playing Test cricket.
January 24, 2008
Geoffrey Boycott answers readers queries about Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly's exclusion, why Australia lost at the WACA, and the role of administrators in regulating the on-field behaviour of players

Source: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/talk/content/current/multimedia/332899.html

sandpiper
January 24, 2008, 01:21 AM
কথা না বলতে পারলে ঐ বুইরার পেটের ভাত হজম হয় না।:mad::mad:

Rabz
January 24, 2008, 01:38 AM
I dont think he said anything wrong.

He didnt go on to bash BD and only talked about what could be done to help grow our cricket.

if we keep on loosing on such margins, ppl would talk.

wiseshah
January 24, 2008, 02:15 AM
কথা না বলতে পারলে ঐ বুইরার পেটের ভাত হজম হয় না।:mad::mad:

lol, like ur comments.

wiseshah
January 24, 2008, 02:17 AM
I dont think he said anything wrong.

He didnt go on to bash BD and only talked about what could be done to help grow our cricket.

if we keep on loosing on such margins, ppl would talk.

again the solution is make two separate team. so more focus will be on the particular job.

Sohel
January 24, 2008, 02:23 AM
Bangladesh will get better once: -

1) We strengthen our domestic cricket: we need to play more FC and List-A matches, I'd say 15/15 form rather than the current 10/10 format, on a variety of sporting wickets. All 6 teams - each with its own A, U19 and U15 sides competing in respective tournaments - should have quality coaches focused on fundamental technique, and physios focused on all aspects of player fitness. Last but not least, BCB must do what is necessary to make NCL the premier domestic cricket competition in the country in terms of a) player compensation, b) media, especially TV coverage, and c) merchandizing.

2) We strengthen our A-team and keep it busy: we need to use the A-team - playing all year around against other A-teams and associate sides - to fill some of the discrepancy between the quality of our domestic cricket and the highest level. This can only prepare our players better for International cricket.

3) Pundits, selectors and overzealous fans take the more reasonable approach: we need to wait until #s 1 and 2 continue to evolve and our top players reach their late 20s. A transparent and reasonable selection process focused on a) talent in terms of the fundamentals, b) work ethic, and c) the demonstrable ability to learn quickly and apply in the middle, MUST replace the traditionally arbitrary selection and player development criteria. I propose we make the Coach our Chief Selector with his own team of scouts. They'll do better than guys who never really learned the fundamentals themselves. Sorry for sounding so harsh, but we cannot expect slashers and glorified parhar pileyarj who could never play through the line well enough to truly appreciate and value footwork and compact technique. No more jodi laigga jay ... :down:

I expect Bangladesh under Coach Siddons to ease the typical anxieties over the next 2 years, make us a competitive side over the next 5, and a side to be reckoned with in 10 years Inshallah. A Zimbabwe-style, voluntary suspension of our test status is not a good option for us in light of better alternatives mentioned here.

Broken record.

karimjay.
January 24, 2008, 02:24 AM
Boycott has a point...

But then where's our pride when we do that? Sure we'll lose... but then'll start to lose gallantly.

Then we'll draw and fight.

And then we'll scare Australia.

cricket_king
January 24, 2008, 02:29 AM

1) We strengthen our domestic cricket: we need to play more FC and List-A matches, I'd say 15/15 form rather than the current 10/10 format, on a variety of sporting wickets. All 6 teams - each with its own A, U19 and U15 sides competing in respective tournaments - should have quality coaches focused on fundamental technique, and physios focused on all aspects of player fitness. Last but not least, BCB must do what is necessary to make NCL the premier domestic cricket competition in the country in terms of a) player compensation, b) media, especially TV coverage, and c) merchandizing.

2) We strengthen our A-team and keep it busy: we need to use the A-team - playing all year around against other A-teams and associate sides - to fill some of the discrepancy between the quality of our domestic cricket and the highest level. This can only prepare our players better for International cricket.

3) Pundits, selectors and overzealous fans take the more reasonable approach: we need to wait until #s 1 and 2 continue to evolve and our top players reach their late 20s. A transparent and reasonable selection process focused on a) talent in terms of the fundamentals, b) work ethic, and c) the demonstrable ability to learn quickly and apply in the middle, MUST replace the traditionally arbitrary selection and player development criteria. I propose we make the Coach our Chief Selector with his own team of scouts. They'll do better than guys who never really learned the fundamentals themselves. Sorry for sounding so harsh, but we cannot expect slashers and glorified parhar pileyarj who could never play through the line well enough to truly appreciate and value footwork and compact technique. No more jodi laigga jay ... :down:

I expect Bangladesh under Coach Siddons to ease the typical anxieties over the next 2 years, make us a competitive side over the next 5, and a side to be reckoned with in 10 years Inshallah. A Zimbabwe-style, voluntary suspension of our test status is not a good option for us in light of better alternatives mentioned here.

Broken record.

Same old. If only our horrendously pathetic board could do something about these problems rather than sit there pondering what to do...

BD-Shardul
January 24, 2008, 02:39 AM
Hmmmmmm..............

Dhakablues
January 24, 2008, 02:42 AM
Even the pandora's box now is empty!! I agree with what Boycott is saying and our board forced a fanatic Bangladesh supporter like me to sound like this. This is like turning Apples into a Boeing 787 like deal but our board managed the impossibile to convince some of us to side with Boycott!!.

Please please,, stop this child abuse and let professionals play cricket otherwise we risk a sanction against us for child labor by the ICC!!

jeesh
January 24, 2008, 04:06 AM
No its not true that we will get better if we stop playing Tests. But i strongly believe we should stop playing tests in the likes of New Zealand. Evertime we will go there, we will get hammered with absolutely no improvement. We dont even learn. Its just a waste of time and money. And whats more it puts pressure on the players and frustrates the fans. Instead we should focus on playing fewer test series, and more at home. For the short run i feel thats the best solution.
I also agree with Sohel, in the respect that we need to keep our A team busy.

Dhruvo
January 24, 2008, 04:58 AM
i believe we should'nt stop playing tests,because the more we play the more experience we get,you will never get better if you dont have a practice of a particular thing and it is true practice does make perfect and bd doesnt get much practice,we need to play like 10 to 15 tests a years to perfect up,just stopping play wont solve our problems,playing will slowly slove it up,a team cant just jump up so quickly you know.

BANFAN
January 24, 2008, 05:45 AM
again the solution is make two separate team. so more focus will be on the particular job.

Isn't it expecting too much, while we are strugling to produce 15 good players for one form, how can you expect to have 30 of them?

A good player knows to adjust and is good in every form.

Reaz
January 24, 2008, 10:08 AM
Let us all boycott, Boycott.

abu2abu
January 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
Isn't it expecting too much, while we are strugling to produce 15 good players for one form, how can you expect to have 30 of them?

Spot on. Separate ODI and test teams will solve nothing. We don't have players that are good enough. The old adage is true, you pick your best XI, if they happen to be the same in both of forms of cricket so be it...

I don't think only playing test at home will help. If we do that, how are we ever going to learn to adapt to different conditions? We just have to be patient and the ICC need to be fairer to us. Before India visited last summer, BD hadn't played a test in 13 months! We can't allow that to happen again.

We also need to extend the duration and quality of the NCL. If that means only playing in the top two or three venues in BD and introducing one or two overseas players, so be it. At the moment the BD season lasts about 3 months, whereas the English county season lasts closer to 6 months...

Mahmood
January 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
We did not play test cricket for 1 year, and we have now seen how huge the performence drop was beacuse of that. If he thinks a longer break will better our prformence, then all I say is he has lost all his cricket sense.

DJ Sahastra
January 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
It is a catch-22.

A break or self-imposed volunatry suspension is not gonna help.

Playing (and losing so frequently) is not helping either.

I think the answer lies with the BD players. A couple of good knocks (a century or a few fifties per match) and matches going into day-5 would do as a starter. This will buy some time for BD Management to get it's domestic framework going and also for it's A team to start learning from tours.

Kana-Baba
January 24, 2008, 11:37 AM

Broken record.

I would like to add one more option in this list.

4) Challenger Trophy: Each year BCB should arrange a tournament much like challenger trophy in India. Make three teams (Red, Green and Yellow) comprising top 36 players of the country. These three teams will be involved in three ODI, three twenty20 and 3 unofficial test matches. All these matches should be broadcasted in local TV and hefty amount of prize money should be included to make this tournament a lucrative option for the top players to perform. With little publicity and minimum effort from BCB (since it involves only three teams and single venue, organizing it would be very easy), this can become a very competitive tournament and can help our top players much required exposure in relatively high standard competitive cricket.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>

lamisa
January 24, 2008, 11:49 AM
i believe we should'nt stop playing tests,because the more we play the more experience we get,you will never get better if you dont have a practice of a particular thing and it is true practice does make perfect and bd doesnt get much practice,we need to play like 10 to 15 tests a years to perfect up,just stopping play wont solve our problems,playing will slowly slove it up,a team cant just jump up so quickly you know.

i agree wid u 100%:notworthy:

RazabQ
January 24, 2008, 01:28 PM
Sheesh, some fans seem to need diapers. We've gotten overly inflated expectations after a few limited over and 20/20 wins.

Guys we had a huge break in test cricket! Four our development challenged team a 1 year break is too much. Plus coincidentally, three of our most consistent, veteran performers went off-colour during this period (Bashar, Rafique and Pilot). So obviously we _had_ to bring in some of the younger players. People like Ash, Aftab, Masree might be young chronologically but they _are_ veterans in terms of Test experience. So don't just go by age. Finally - it hasn't been that dismal. We drew the 1st test with India (even though weather helped we held our own in most of the sessions). We dismissed NZ in both first innings on the 2nd day when the pitches are the best for batting. We are starting to put together a few record partnerships. We have a new coach for whom grit alone is not sufficient. One who demands grit + match-winning-talent. So now is NOT the time to grow despondent. Now is the time to tell critics, thanks but we'll stay the course and talk to us in 5 years.

BTW I agree with what Sohel and Kana Baba had to say on this matter.

al Furqaan
January 24, 2008, 01:30 PM

Broken record.

1000000000 % correct. only God could have said it better Himself (woops this type of phrase is holding us back ;))

al Furqaan
January 24, 2008, 01:34 PM
i think Sohel hit the mark. i really don't think we can hope for much in the next year or so (though i hope i'm wrong). how many players averaged 35 even at an age of 22 or 23. yet all our batsmen are that young.

SN - 25
tamim - 18
aftab - 23
ash - 24
sakib - 20
rajin - 25
mushy - 18
farhad - 21
junaid - 19

what is average? i'll have to calculate it. even the few 18 year olds who started averaging ridiculuos figures (SRT, BCL) had a lot of support from older top order bats. our guys don't have that.

it is high time we start improving at home though. only then can we move on to counter the bouncy, seaming tracks.

Sohel bhai is of the belief that batsmen peak at 27-32...only on this point will i a disagree. i hope that is not the case for us. but it may very well be.

i think batsmen begin to peak 24, maybe 25 to 30 or 32 and then go downhill. SRT is a legend as he is going strong at 34. so far of our players only ash and SN and rajin are in the 24-25 range. i think ash is beginning to peak, but pressure of captaincy (which he is handling fairly well) and lack of a supporting cast is slowing him down. i hope SN gets some big knocks against SA at home. i am counting on it.

please NO bashar.

akabir77
January 24, 2008, 02:17 PM
And England will win a world cup if they stop playing ODIs.

Dhakablues
January 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
Bottom line: BCB needs to really do something here before someone else does it for us. If we are to do well in tests, we need to play more longer version matches on different type of wickets and reward those who do well in those matches. Screw this bogus "Talent"," Give him time, he will get bettter", " he is our future Golden egg" thing. Lets play real basic Aussie style cricket where performers are only rewarded. Period.

RazabQ
January 24, 2008, 03:07 PM
And England will win a world cup if they stop playing ODIs.Priceless ... I mean you should email this to Cricinfo

tonoy
January 24, 2008, 03:21 PM
i think Sohel hit the mark. i really don't think we can hope for much in the next year or so (though i hope i'm wrong). how many players averaged 35 even at an age of 22 or 23. yet all our batsmen are that young.

SN - 25
tamim - 18
aftab - 23
ash - 24
sakib - 20
rajin - 25
mushy - 18
farhad - 21
junaid - 19

what is average? i'll have to calculate it. even the few 18 year olds who started averaging ridiculuos figures (SRT, BCL) had a lot of support from older top order bats. our guys don't have that.

it is high time we start improving at home though. only then can we move on to counter the bouncy, seaming tracks.

Sohel bhai is of the belief that batsmen peak at 27-32...only on this point will i a disagree. i hope that is not the case for us. but it may very well be.

i think batsmen begin to peak 24, maybe 25 to 30 or 32 and then go downhill. SRT is a legend as he is going strong at 34. so far of our players only ash and SN and rajin are in the 24-25 range. i think ash is beginning to peak, but pressure of captaincy (which he is handling fairly well) and lack of a supporting cast is slowing him down. i hope SN gets some big knocks against SA at home. i am counting on it.

please NO bashar.

nafees is actually 22 years old(21, tomorrow is his birthday i think)

tonoy
January 24, 2008, 03:22 PM

:notworthy: genius

zainab
January 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
Bangladesh should continue playing test cricket. They will only get better. The problem now is that countries seem unwilling to play them, because of a lack of contest, but if a few countries are willing to play against them, they should do so, even if they lose, but should try to challenge and make it more interesting.
They can only do this, by playing the longer version of the game at home, and by playing the longer version of the game against other countries.
The problem lies with the BCB for not coming up with a proper solution. These lads need lots of practice, not just a few days here and there, they have to be very serious.

al Furqaan
January 24, 2008, 04:44 PM
nafees is actually 22 years old(21, tomorrow is his birthday i think)

i'm pretty sure most of our players age cheat. i know a guy who is my age, and he was in the same school as nafees iqbal (tamim's older brother). there is usually a year or 2 even of age cheating. SN might not be 25, but he is no younger than 24.

Sovik
January 24, 2008, 05:06 PM
will he ever stop bashing us?

uss01
January 24, 2008, 10:39 PM
You're right. The players need some a** kicking so they stop throwing their wickets away. Someone really needs to have a go at them.

It is a catch-22.

A break or self-imposed volunatry suspension is not gonna help.

Playing (and losing so frequently) is not helping either.

I think the answer lies with the BD players. A couple of good knocks (a century or a few fifties per match) and matches going into day-5 would do as a starter. This will buy some time for BD Management to get it's domestic framework going and also for it's A team to start learning from tours.

cricket_king
January 25, 2008, 01:39 AM
will he ever stop bashing us?

He hasn't actually bashed us at all this time. You'd know if you read the article. He was merely suggesting a way for us to improve - by not playing. A true genius. :)

kalpurush
January 25, 2008, 01:55 AM
lol, like ur comments.
Don't play...you can't lose...
Don't write exam...you will NOT fail!
You and the Boy... in same boat, unfortunately.:o

kalpurush
January 25, 2008, 01:58 AM
Even the pandora's box now is empty!! I agree with what Boycott is saying and our board forced a fanatic Bangladesh supporter like me to sound like this. This is like turning Apples into a Boeing 787 like deal but our board managed the impossibile to convince some of us to side with Boycott!!.

Please please,, stop this child abuse and let professionals play cricket otherwise we risk a sanction against us for child labor by the ICC!!
Things will change...don't be so worried...:-D

kalpurush
January 25, 2008, 02:07 AM
Kabir Bhai...you said it for us...:lol:
Statement of the century.:up:

kalpurush
January 25, 2008, 02:11 AM
He hasn't actually bashed us at all this time. You'd know if you read the article. He was merely suggesting a way for us to improve - by not playing. A true genius. :)
[বাংলা]সারমেয়'র লেজ কখনো সোজা হয় না...:timeout:[/বাংলা]

akabir77
January 25, 2008, 11:05 AM
oh ami to dekhi ek line dea ai thread besh popular hoye gasi...

Thank you thank you Thank you.

wiseshah
January 25, 2008, 10:52 PM

here again, i dont agree. its not like we dont have good talented players. we have aproximately 140000000 people in BD. we just had a NCL with 6 divisions. if every team has 20 players, then we get 120 players + under 19====18 players + national team 20 players= 158 players approximately and we cant find 30 players, thats shame. here i dont want to discuss about the number, i want to discuss about quality players. I strongly believe, we dont have right combo. i am sure,if aussie have bad combo, they will not be almost impossible to beat team any more. I think their main secret of success is a great combo.

about ur concern of another 15 players: here i am giving u another team, u just compare with present team and see which is better?

last match line up, where NZ won by an innings and 137 runs, and in three days. I almost forget when we last played 5 day test match. Ithat happenes more, i am sure ICC will sell only 3 days ticket for BD match

here is my two separate team with same captain and vice captain

test:

Javed Omar
Al shahariar
rajin saleh (Habibul bashar)
alok kapali (ehsanul haq sejan)
Mohammad Ashraful
Mehrab Jr (Tushar Imran)
khaled masud
mohammad rafiq
mashrafe
shahadat
sajedul (enamul Jr)

my ODI team : 15 players

tamim
Junaed
aftab
ashraful
sakib
nazimuddin
dheeman ghosh
farhad reza
mashrafe
razzaq
syed rasel

extra 4 for ODI: Imrul kayes, mosharraf rubel, shahiar nafees, Mahmudullah Riad

Here is alltogether 28 players in both version. still In our hand we have
raqibul hasan, mushfiq rahim, Nafees iqbal, tareq aziz, najmus sadat, farhad hossain, nayeem Islam, Imtiaz hossain, golam mabud, Mehrab Opi, mahbubul robin, Dollar mahmud, sohrawardi shuvo, talha jubair and plenty of prospects, countless talent.

all we need is determination, right team combination and understand the version of game.

One World
January 26, 2008, 01:26 AM
Wise post by wiseshah, but I am against separate teams. There may be few Hussey, Amla for test and Yuvi, Razzak for ODI but thats it. Creating two teams might also infect the long term goal of instilling sedation and temperament.

I think Sohel_NR is again correct about what's next as he is always :).

About the thread topic, its useless to stop playing test. Instead play more longer version matches with weaker opponents, top associates, top A-teams. Create an eleven side with mixture of players and do all kinds of experiment.

Probably we can reduce the number of test we will play against India, AUS, RSA, Srilanka and increase numbers replacing with WI, England, PAK and Zim (as soon they get it back).

cricket_king
January 26, 2008, 03:21 AM
here again, i dont agree. its not like we dont have good talented players. we have aproximately 140000000 people in BD. we just had a NCL with 6 divisions. if every team has 20 players, then we get 120 players + under 19====18 players + national team 20 players= 158 players approximately and we cant find 30 players, thats shame. here i dont want to discuss about the number, i want to discuss about quality players. I strongly believe, we dont have right combo. i am sure,if aussie have bad combo, they will not be almost impossible to beat team any more. I think their main secret of success is a great combo.

I can't agree with that. If after 7 years and 50 tests we still haven't been able to show any decent signs of improvement, we simply don't have talented players. "Talented players" would be able to capitalise on the several chances they have had like the Bangladesh players. We simply don't have what it takes yet. Optimism can only provide comfort.

nahaz
January 26, 2008, 03:29 AM
Bangladesh will get better in tests if the players are prepared to spend long time in the middle and learn how to plan a long innings individually and as a team. Harbajan and Kumble scored half-centuries yesterday...

zainab
January 26, 2008, 07:50 AM
If four batsmen are prepared to stay at the crease with grit and patience and each score over 50 runs , then they will be better. I agree, Harbhajan is becoming a sedate and good batsman, and Kumble IMO knows how to bat, He also has the maturity, grit and patience. He is 38 yrs old.
BD middle order is the big problem, they cannot even make 70 runs.
Like Hayden, batsman has to come out determined to make a good score.
I have seen Mash bat, he has some good strokes, he used to be able to contribute some good runs, but lately things have gone wrong.

kfirooz
January 26, 2008, 10:38 AM

This is a statement not well thought out. England has not won a world cup but they are a decent ODI side that has maintained a healthy winning rate.
Whereas Bangladesh is not even a half decent test side and can't be in the game for three full days.
These statements may receive applauses from the gallery and give a temporary satisfaction, but the reality ?????

BANFAN
January 28, 2008, 05:13 AM

about ur concern of another 15 players: here i am giving u another team, u just compare with present team and see which is better?

last match line up, where NZ won by an innings and 137 runs, and in three days. I almost forget when we last played 5 day test match. Ithat happenes more, i am sure ICC will sell only 3 days ticket for BD match

here is my two separate team with same captain and vice captain

The question you put here (Bold) answers it all. That shows that there is hardly any difference between the first and the second team. Probably you can draw 10 more teams out of your projected number of players, still be confused, which is the best !! Can you do this excercise with any of the established teams in world cricket? Like Ind/AUs/SA/Eng?? impossible. They even have more players than we have.

There is a big difference between a young tallent and a matured player and the next level is a great player. Like all of the teams, we have same quality young players, but they don't get to be matured or great players for some reason. Possibly it's due to combination of many reasons. We need to focus on those issues to make the enviorenment for the young talents to be able to reach their maturity as a player.

Even teams like Aus could not go for two seperate teams, is it because they don't have players? No, because they have matured and great cricketers in the team, who are able to adjust in all forms of the game.

We need a lot of patience and hard work to convert some of these young talents into matured players, we have none curently.

Ishtylish cricketer
January 28, 2008, 05:41 AM
all we need is determination, right team combination and understand the version of game.

Agree with you there mate, but according to many Bd should stop playing to tests to improve. How the hell can you improve if you don't play long version of the game? We played a series after 13 months of no test cricket. Obviously players were always going be rusty but some of the performances suggest we are better off playing Hadoo doo, kabadi, etc. The 94 all out being chased in 6 overs, has got to be the worst performance ever by Bd. Boycott and others forget that NZ prior to facing BD had just played a tough test series against South Africa and got hammered. Had we faced a strong team like Australia or South Africa before facing NZ then we too would have upto mark or at the very least extended the games. We need to beat these guys badly when they tour Bd. According to these guys only Australia, SA and India should be playing cricket. The rest of the 7 remaining test nations continually get bashed.

GuruTM
January 28, 2008, 07:03 AM
[বাংলা]সারমেয়'র লেজ কখনো সোজা হয় না...:timeout:[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]
সারমেয়র লেজ ও নাকি সোজা হয়। সহজ সরল বাঙ্গাল পদ্ধতি। ফোরামের সদস্যদের প্রতি সম্মান প্রদর্শন পূর্বক ইহা প্রকাশ করিলাম না।
[/বাংলা] :)

akabir77
January 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
This is a statement not well thought out. England has not won a world cup but they are a decent ODI side that has maintained a healthy winning rate.
Whereas Bangladesh is not even a half decent test side and can't be in the game for three full days.
These statements may receive applauses from the gallery and give a temporary satisfaction, but the reality ?????

And you didn't get the whole thing from the comment. It means to achive something you have to try at it and get better at it. To be better as a test team we have to play test and for England to win a WC they have to continue play ODI and WC. now since we are a bad TEST team right now and if we stop playing test we will never get better just like if England stops playing ODI they will never win the WC.

GOT IT NOW?:doh:

Sovik
January 28, 2008, 05:33 PM
how long does it take to understand those thing. most of the players have played decent amount of cricket and still making same mistake over and over again

al-Sagar
January 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
we should play 4 day matches with A teams of test playing nations more.