PDA

View Full Version : The nurseries of cricket

Eshen
January 25, 2008, 02:22 PM
http://newagebd.com/spt.html

by Raihan Mahmood

Even great players will tell you that they had to start from the bottom and work their way up. And thanks to the rise of cricket academies spread across Dhaka, the road to success has made that particular journey a lot less strenuous. Nowadays there are countless such academies from which to choose and enroll. Each school offers budding players a chance to hone their skills in all three departments so that one day they can become the next superstar of Bangladesh cricket.

The Dhanmondi Cricket Academy is regarded as one of the oldest academies in the capital. Founded nine years ago the DCA is guided by Rafiqul Alam, who is the current chief selector of Bangladesh Cricket Board. What makes it special is the light facilities to play at night.

Located at Road No 4 in Dhanmondi, the popular academy now boasts 150 students in age groups ranging from under-12 to under-21 level. Besides training, the academy has clinched the third division cricket league title and was promoted to the second division last year.

Under the watchful eyes of Rafiqul Alam the academy has been providing good cricketers in all levels of the game. ‘We employ modern coaching techniques and try to show the beauty of the game at the earliest stage. The youngsters readily accept that there is no gain without hard work and discipline,’ said Alam, an aggressive batsman in his playing days.

The coaching programme is not expensive in DCA as one might imagine. Admission costs Tk 1,500 and thereafter Tk 500 is charged per month.

Ratnak Shaha, the son of former Abahani footballer Hare Krishna, is a bright prospect of the academy. The wicketkeeper and left-handed batsman hopes to play in the top level some day.

His mother Shita Roy who accompanies her son to practice is equally confident about Ratnak’s future. ‘I believe support of the family has helped Ratnak come thus far and fingers crossed he will eventually play for the national team,’ she hoped.

Renowned coach Wahidul Gani who was the man responsible for discovering Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful, pacer Mohammad Sharif, left-handed opener Shahriar Nafees, wicketkeeper Anwar Hossain and a number of quality cricketers now imparts training to about 30 kids at the Dhanmondi Indoors facility.

‘I am a strong believer that the basics of the game must be drilled into a player at an early age. Cricket is all about discipline and teamwork,’ said Gani.

SB Chowdhury Shishir has been coaching youngsters for a long time. He runs his coaching school at the Dhanmondi Cricket Stadium that has around hundred boys are under him.

‘You see there are plenty of cricketers hanging around so the competitions never lack players. Academies like us are grooming cricketers of the future with appropriate basics. But we get little or no financial assistance from the board or government level even. Just look at the condition of the Dhanmondi indoors which is literally operating in the dark for the last couple of years due to bureaucratic red tape. It is high time the BCB inject cash into the academies in order to turn them into ‘centres of excellence,’ opined Shishir whose academy is named the Dhaka Cricket Coaching.

The concerns expressed by Shishir are nothing new but have been overlooked by the people that matter. If they are to survive then every effort must be made to help and up and coming academies like Discovery and more established ones like Cricket Coaching School of Kalabagan continue sowing the seeds for tomorrow’s cricketers.

reyme
January 25, 2008, 04:32 PM
Excellent dig!

MarufH
January 25, 2008, 05:00 PM
Good stuff... thanks for sharing.

Ajfar
January 25, 2008, 10:45 PM
gudd..stuff..

Rabz
January 26, 2008, 02:16 AM
This is where it all begins...

Nice dig Eshen.

cricket_king
January 26, 2008, 03:14 AM
I have to to visit that place next time I go to BD...thanks Eshen. :)

kalpurush
January 26, 2008, 02:11 PM
It's just the begining of a new era.....

oshustho_mogoj
January 26, 2008, 04:56 PM
Rafiqul Alam sire is an amaizing coach but Shishir sire kichchu shikhaii naa ami dui jon er kaaseii khelsi tai bollaam kaaro shikthe hole Rafiq sire kase jauaa uchith

One World
January 26, 2008, 05:06 PM
Rafiqul Alam sire is an amaizing coach but Shishir sire kichchu shikhaii naa ami dui jon er kaaseii khelsi tai bollaam kaaro shikthe hole Rafiq sire kase jauaa uchith

Can you be more specific about the teaching style and the curriculum if possible.

oshustho_mogoj
January 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
well Rafiq sire baisicaly player der indivitual prob nie kaaj kore beshi maane baisic jinish gulaa tho aseii but best thing holo uni indivitual analyse kore player der jerokom amake uni bolsilo amer bating technic oirokom major kono prob nai but shudhu balance korthe peri na shot khele shamne eshe pori back foot nie tai amake puraa one year e khaali fitness nieii kaaj koaraiii khali, practice e galey "run on yours toes" shunthe hoitho amer tai chereii disi practice kora jani akdomi uchith hoi naii but still bating ii jodi naa kori taile kemne hobe taile tho r mojataii thaaklo na :P
and the best part about dhanmondi 4# is onek match practice hoii
btw Ratnak Shaha is one hell of a player mark my words this kid is the future opener/keepr of BD national team

r Shishir sire amader schoool team er coach chilo n match policy chilo "tooss e jithbaa bating nibaa, kom run e all out hobaa oraa 20 over e jithe jaabe match bashay eshe bhaath khaba" not kidding at alll

One World
January 26, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks OM. It pictures how useless people captures very important positions in our cricket. People like the second instructor is enough to ruin the future.

oshustho_mogoj
January 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
lol ya but shishir sire manush hishaabe kharap na and he knows his stuff prolly oner coaching center tik bhaabe shikhaai :P
o ur welcome \m/

Nafis_BD
January 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hey I used to practice at DCA before I came to Canada. Rafiq sir really is a good coach as OM bhaiya explained but I was with the junior group so Pinto sir was my immediate coach and he prepared us technically and mentally to go to the next level of the game. Ratnak bhaiya and his family was a pretty close friend of my family and I and he is a great opener. OM bhaiya when did you quit DCA?? May be I know you!!

lamisa
January 27, 2008, 10:54 AM
wat academies r dere 4 women?

oshustho_mogoj
January 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hey I used to practice at DCA before I came to Canada. Rafiq sir really is a good coach as OM bhaiya explained but I was with the junior group so Pinto sir was my immediate coach and he prepared us technically and mentally to go to the next level of the game. Ratnak bhaiya and his family was a pretty close friend of my family and I and he is a great opener. OM bhaiya when did you quit DCA?? May be I know you!!

ya pintu sire awsssum amer upor fataii khepsilo jokhon chere disilaam bolsilo "tomer talent chilo but shudhu bating chaile tho r hobe na" lol n uni amake die akdom pichchider techniq tik koraitho :P

bro tumi amake prolly chinbaanaa ami akdomii famous keu chilaam na unknown akta player chilaam just one year er mothon practice korsi tau iktu discription deii :P hairstyle boro n messy beshibhaag shomoy dour raithe thaakthaam, righty stylish batsman :P, akta laal rns die khelthaam, throwing jogghonoo chilo haathe jor bolthe kisuii chilo na best of luck lol

tc \m/

oshustho_mogoj
January 27, 2008, 12:34 PM
wat academies r dere 4 women?

yup abhohani maat e i gess akta ase