PDA

View Full Version : Financial Crisis for clubs?

Niceman70
January 27, 2008, 02:12 PM
Tigers in a limbo
Sports Reporter

Former national skipper Habibul Bashar is yet to get any response from Premier League teams although the three-day inter-club player's transfer is knocking on the door.

The hitherto Mohammedan captain was not alone in facing the dilemma of confirming a team ahead of the bourse that begins on February 3, but most of his national pool colleagues are in a tight spot in the face of reluctant club officials.

"Nobody has communicated with me and as far as I know, it is almost similar for ninety per cent of the pool players. It's really surprising. What so far I have learned is that the clubs are not interested to pay money for the national players because of their international commitments," said a frustrated Bashar.

The experienced cricketer expressed dissatisfaction over the pool policy, which allows a club to buy a maximum of three players from the 21-member list provided by Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB).

"It was four last season and I can't understand why it has reduced this year. I personally believed that the figure should go to more than what it is now as only three to four clubs are going to spend money this season due to their financial crisis," he added.

The Premier League clubs said they are not ready to spend money for the national players when it is confirmed that they will get them only for the last few matches but national captain Mohammad Ashraful rubbished that claim.

The national players will miss the first few matches as they will be involved in a home series against South Africa, who arrive on February 14 to play three one-day internationals and two Tests.

"We could play only seven matches last season and it's nothing new that national players won't be available for all the matches. But surprisingly the issue has gathered pace this season," said Ashraful.

The Bangladesh captain was also taken aback by the whispering that some clubs are thinking of roping in the pool players on the basis of match-by-match payment.

"It's totally unacceptable because in the past we received full contract no matter how many matches we played. In one season, I played only four matches for Biman but I got the full amount," he added.

The ace batsman however is negotiating with a Motijheel-based club but was worried with his colleagues' fate.

"Everyone should realise that without national players the country's most prestigious competition will lose charm. So, showing reluctance towards the national players means you are going to spoil the attraction," he said.

Both believed that the financial crisis in emerging clubs like Old DOHS and Sonargaon Cricketers made things complicated this year.

And it seems likely that most of these pool players would have to settle for a payment that is half of the hefty amounts they have received in previous seasons.

Source: Thedailystar.net

nobody
January 27, 2008, 10:09 PM
Pool players are paid by BCB. Isn't it? if that is the case they should play premier league free. It would be even better if BCB just distribute them among the clubs so their would be competitiveness in the league as well lessen financial budget of the club.

lamisa
January 28, 2008, 11:13 AM
oh God,bd cricket iz becoming fokir!

Rabz
January 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
What the hec Ash whining about?
He wants to play a grand total of 4 matches to be paid 4 lacks? ( or whatever he gets paid?), esp on top of his 30 lacks he makes every year scoring 30 odd runs?

The pool players are already paid heavily by BCB, so i think they should be paid on match-to-match basis.

kajer binimoye khaddo kormoshuchi. Beta kam koira kha. Ho**r rosh to taka'r gorome joima gese...run korte paros na...abar na kheila taka nibar chai...

i think clubs would be better off to spend less on this pool players and more on the upcoming and other players who makes a living playing these leagues only, unlike our star players who are already loaded with cash without any performance.

....And about Bashar? i think he is the only one who's not been contacted, but he is still yet to realise that.... dumb Bashar that he always was....

Dhakablues
January 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
Totally agree,, the clubs better sponsors players of real performers, match winners than hyped up names as Bashar/Ashraful. I dont get it,, why they are not agreeing to the per match fees.. Even Wasim Akram played with Abahani with such contract. These players are becoming greedy-ier by the day and wanting to double dip from clubs as well as BCB..

Imtiaz
February 1, 2008, 04:27 PM
The clubs have finally woken up ! It is not their duty to keep up the wages of the so-called National players. The Directors of the clubs have a duty of care to...club members.

Ashraful, go and weep somewhere else.

Murad
February 1, 2008, 04:33 PM
Ashraful, go and weep somewhere else.

He already got his contract. He's playing for Mohamedan.

Only player who didn't get any call from the club is Habibul Bashar.

Rafiq might play for Abahani as Abahani's manager said he's trying to talk to Rafiq.

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2008, 05:49 PM
I don't understand why are clubs in financial risk? Sidr, last years two floods, Monga? what has changed from last year where they could buy out National players then and not now? Club members not donating? why? They could donate in previous years when they didn't win anything.

Don't tell me the clubs were running in churir taka?