PDA

View Full Version : 2008 and the Siddons Effect

al Furqaan
January 28, 2008, 07:39 PM
2008 marks the busiest year for Bangladesh cricket ever. Siddons certainly has said the right things and seems to have our priorities in the proper order.

Given the current situation, predict where we might stand come New Years, 2009.

Some criteria to ponder:

Test

1) Will Bangladesh be able to avoid innings defeats more times than we suffer them?
2) Will we have a 400+ run innings?
3) How many times will we top 300 in an innings?
3.5) How many times will we take 10 wickets in the first innings?

4) Will any of our batsmen average 40 for the year?
5) Who will be our leading scorer?
6) Will anyone hit multiple centuries?
7) Will three or more players hit centuries?
8) Will 2 batsmen hit multiple centuries?
9) Any chance of a double ton?
10) Who will lead all wicket takers?
11) How many 5-fers will we get?
12) Will anyone average under 30 with the ball?

ODI

1) Can we win a series?
2) How many matches will we win?
3) Can we score 250+ 5 times?
4) Can we score 300 once?

5) Who will be the leading run scorer?
6) Will anyone hit centuries?
7) Will we have multiple centurions?
8) Who will take most wickets?

These are some criteria which we can use to gauge JS's first year in charge, feel free to add your own. I for one wouldn't be surprised if some of the questions are answered in the affirmative. But at this point, I don't think we can expect more than 2 "yes" answers.

al-Sagar
January 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
i am not interested that much in stats. though in the end ststs really matters.

i want to see batsman fighting out there and no give their wicket away and once they get a start carry on for long time.

to get prepared to play for a long time and build partnerships is the what we should learn

al Furqaan
January 28, 2008, 11:03 PM
not interested in stats?

this is blasphemy in mine eyes...

:)

Ajfar
January 28, 2008, 11:15 PM
right now...everything luks impossiblee...kom ashaa korai valo..ami ar kichu asha korbo na..shudu khela dekboo..valo khelle..enjoy korbo..na khelle ki ar koraa...

Beamer
January 28, 2008, 11:28 PM
Any and all of your questions will go unanswered unless and until we start scoring at least 300 in the first innings of a test match. Once we start doing that consistently, not only we will stretch any game beyond three days, we will also start to see a collective answer of every question that you have set forth regarding test matches. Centuries, multiple centuries, 5-fers, ability to make the opposition bat a second time around with a reliable prospect of win- all will start coming. Its all about the first innings batting..

al Furqaan
January 29, 2008, 01:02 AM
yes, 1st innings total is precisely the crux of the match (and our problems).

BD-Shardul
January 29, 2008, 01:11 AM
The only criteria I will set:

Can we score 500 runs in a match (ist innings total+second innings total)? If we can do that in every match, I will call it a revolution.

ahms
January 29, 2008, 09:50 AM
I want to see all eleven players are improved and consistant. And increased their average to over 35, each of the batsman. Our bowlers are in top 20 in world ranking.

zainab
January 29, 2008, 09:56 AM
I want to see all eleven players are improved and consistant. And increased their average to over 35, each of the batsman. Our bowlers are in top 20 in world ranking.

When four batsmen can stay at the crease and score over 50 runs each, with the middle order being stable, then one can speak about improvement.

I think in this SA series, Siddons has a bit more time with the players for prep camp, so I am sure that he will try his best. I hope Tamim's finger will be better for the first test.
Most of these players have played against SA, with the exception of Steyn. He is a bowler to be reckoned with, but he may not have the bounce on the BD pitch.

BD did manage to bowl out NZ in both tests for less than 400 runs. I think that they can do this again, but it is their batting which lets them down all the time.

MarufH
January 29, 2008, 01:23 PM
Before some of you go all over me, I just wanna say these are my personal opinion, so please...

I have this weird feeling about Siddons.... I mean after looking at the disastrous result in NZ, how can he take an extended break? It so doesn't make sense to me.

As far our players are concerned, Siddons himself questioned their spirit....

In my opinion, 2008 is not going to the fanciest year. This year will be more like building a team year. Players like Tamim, Zunaid gotta get used the environment. We just need to stick with the same team, otherwise back to basic again.

Rabz
January 29, 2008, 01:53 PM
I have this weird feeling about Siddons.... I mean after looking at the disastrous result in NZ, how can he take an extended break? It so doesn't make sense to me.

Well..i think he is very smart to realise early in his tenure that this idiotic bunch are really hopeless...

... you arent gonna achieve anything with them....

on a serious note, his extended break doesnt really make any difference...

the boys arent really out of touch.... T20 world cup, a long NCL followed by a touch tour.... i think a break would be better than an extended batting/bowling session..

im sure the coach has prescribed them a routine to follow while he is away....

see..the way i see it...

an extra few hours on the net arent really going to change anything...
rather the players should have a good hard session with thier head ( only fruitful if there is anything inside )

cuz i think the main problem lies here:

http://davron.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/homer.jpg

Gowza
January 29, 2008, 03:35 PM
well i've always questioned siddons seriousness, i mean he may have got tapes on more than just the national players but i've always had this feeling that the only players he's seen are the national players and that he thinks so little of BD's talent pool that they can't possibly have any more talent out there. that doesn't mean he doesn't think the players who went to NZ aren't talented, but he did say they're definately the best BD have to offer and he most likely hasn't seen that many other BD players so it sounds like he's underestimating BD's talent pool without even looking at it closely.

this may not be true but it's just the impression i've got from him, imo this extended break is very unprofessional. he only just started working with the team, they have a very poor series and then he goes on holiday instead of preparing for the next series which is reasonably close. considering he wants to nail down a long term team and look at a few players that didn't go to NZ he's not giving himself much time to do that and the prepare them in time. i doubt the australian team would have allowed him to do this sort of thing even as an assistant coach.

i hope i'm wrong but it just doesn't seem like he's putting 100% into his job, and BD cricket is going to suffer for it.

MarufH
January 29, 2008, 06:30 PM
well i've always questioned siddons seriousness, i mean he may have got tapes on more than just the national players but i've always had this feeling that the only players he's seen are the national players and that he thinks so little of BD's talent pool that they can't possibly have any more talent out there. that doesn't mean he doesn't think the players who went to NZ aren't talented, but he did say they're definately the best BD have to offer and he most likely hasn't seen that many other BD players so it sounds like he's underestimating BD's talent pool without even looking at it closely.

this may not be true but it's just the impression i've got from him, imo this extended break is very unprofessional. he only just started working with the team, they have a very poor series and then he goes on holiday instead of preparing for the next series which is reasonably close. considering he wants to nail down a long term team and look at a few players that didn't go to NZ he's not giving himself much time to do that and the prepare them in time. i doubt the australian team would have allowed him to do this sort of thing even as an assistant coach.

i hope I'm wrong but it just doesn't seem like he's putting 100% into his job, and BD cricket is going to suffer for it.

He does not have tapes of the players. Guess what he said after coming late last time around. "the tapes that was given to me was blank". Look, I know our players are not the best around the world, and he is there to make them atleast compete, otherwise I see no reason to pay him possibly the highest salary in whole Bangladesh.

(before you blind attack me, think about what I am saying)

Gowza
January 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
He does not have tapes of the players. Guess what he said after coming late last time around. "the tapes that was given to me was blank". Look, I know our players are not the best around the world, and he is there to make them atleast compete, otherwise I see no reason to pay him possibly the highest salary in whole Bangladesh.

(before you blind attack me, think about what I am saying)

i thought he was given tapes of some BD players before he came back to prepare for the NZ tour? so they were blank? in any event i still question his judgement in regards to the talent in BD. just the way he's been talking it seems like he doesn't think BD has that much talent, at least that's the impression i got.

MarufH
January 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
u got it man.. i mean think about our Golden (DUCK) boy comment!

cricket_king
January 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
The extended break seemed strange to me too. Though it's not just him who's been enjoying a nice holiday - I read somewhere that more than half the players haven't been training for the South Africa tour besides Tamim, Nafees, and...was it Shahadat? :confused: Not too sure...

Either way, if Siddon's taking an extended break means he's given up on the team, then our team itself has given up.

SMHasan
January 29, 2008, 09:31 PM
Any and all of your questions will go unanswered unless and until we start scoring at least 300 in the first innings of a test match. Once we start doing that consistently, not only we will stretch any game beyond three days, we will also start to see a collective answer of every question that you have set forth regarding test matches. Centuries, multiple centuries, 5-fers, ability to make the opposition bat a second time around with a reliable prospect of win- all will start coming. Its all about the first innings batting..

Scoring 300+ runs in a test match requires the willingness to stay in the wicket and fight. But sadly in the NZ tour we saw our batsman's unwillingness to stay. On some occasions their weaknesses were exposed and on some occasions we saw how they threw their wickets cheaply. Lack of maturity and professionalism.

From technical aspects to psychological- Siddons got some heavy work to do in this year.

dash
January 29, 2008, 10:08 PM
how come tamim is training.he is still plastered

zainab
January 29, 2008, 11:05 PM
I think I was about the first one to question the fact that Siddons took an extended holiday after BD poor showing in NZ. I thought that as a National coach, it was uncalled for him to be away so soon. He just started working and then after 6 weeks with the team, took 2 weeks holidays. It seems that he can call all the shots. If this is the way he is going to operate then BD is doomed.
Also Shaun Williams took an extended holiday, these boys should be training after given about 1 weeks break. Gowza is right, as assistant coach, the Aussies would have never allowed him to take a holiday so quickly. I am sure that he went to australia.

reyme
January 30, 2008, 05:08 PM
"the tapes that was given to me was blank". Look, I know our players are not the best around the world, and he is there to make them atleast compete, otherwise I see no reason to pay him possibly the highest salary in whole Bangladesh.

Spot on mate! Started with excuses, and possibly will continue 2008 with excuses.

To me a dedicated coach:

1. Wont take a month long break to get started after signing an important contract right before a tough NZ tour!

2. After one of the worst performance in BD cricket history, will be ashamed a to take a 2 week vacation!

3. Will be ashamed to tell the media that he does not know ANYTHING about BD players, or the team. He said to Prothom-alo that he doesn't remember anything about that upset lost of AUS at Cardiff. Was he sleeping on the field? JS was an asst coach for Australia, there are 10 teams and he does not know anything about other teams? How can he coach? He must be in a wrong profession altogether.

4. The CD's were all blank! How funny is that? Couldn't he just email BCB? I mean just watch some BD matches on TV or simply go to youtube and type Ashraful, you wont need tapes of the players. Pathetic.

5. Those of us got happy puppy by looking at his granatie slab or 16 yard bowling, you should know this is nothing amazing. Even at tender age we have done similar things and more and I am sure anybody whoever played cricket are familiar with all sorts of practice techniques.

I just hope that JS puts his hearts and mind into the task he is in. So far his presence in the team is not much felt. We had a much better start with Dav. Its not just the players, the coach needs concentration too. And I dont see any use of Shaun Williams. I wish we had McInnes to begin with.

MarufH
January 30, 2008, 11:13 PM
Spot on mate! Started with excuses, and possibly will continue 2008 with excuses.

To me a dedicated coach:

1. Wont take a month long break to get started after signing an important contract right before a tough NZ tour!

2. After one of the worst performance in BD cricket history, will be ashamed a to take a 2 week vacation!

3. Will be ashamed to tell the media that he does not know ANYTHING about BD players, or the team. He said to Prothom-alo that he doesn't remember anything about that upset lost of AUS at Cardiff. Was he sleeping on the field? JS was an asst coach for Australia, there are 10 teams and he does not know anything about other teams? How can he coach? He must be in a wrong profession altogether.

4. The CD's were all blank! How funny is that? Couldn't he just email BCB? I mean just watch some BD matches on TV or simply go to youtube and type Ashraful, you wont need tapes of the players. Pathetic.

5. Those of us got happy puppy by looking at his granatie slab or 16 yard bowling, you should know this is nothing amazing. Even at tender age we have done similar things and more and I am sure anybody whoever played cricket are familiar with all sorts of practice techniques.

I just hope that JS puts his hearts and mind into the task he is in. So far his presence in the team is not much felt. We had a much better start with Dav. Its not just the players, the coach needs concentration too. And I dont see any use of Shaun Williams. I wish we had McInnes to begin with.

u said it all, couldn't agree more. :notworthy:

zainab
January 31, 2008, 09:41 AM
Very poor showing for Coach Siddons. I cant say much for his dedication and training for the boys after this. all of us had high hopes in him to do something for this team. I was very upset when I read about his extended holiday. Why did BCB allow it?

As to shaun Williams, I never liked him, dont think that he did much for the team. I guess Siddons wanted him cause he is an Aussie. What is it that he contributes to the team?
Anyhow, lets wait and see what happens in the SA tour.

Mohiul
January 31, 2008, 01:03 PM
right now...everything luks impossiblee...kom ashaa korai valo..ami ar kichu asha korbo na..shudu khela dekboo..valo khelle..enjoy korbo..na khelle ki ar koraa...

ditto

Murad
January 31, 2008, 01:31 PM
Very poor showing for Coach Siddons. I cant say much for his dedication and training for the boys after this. all of us had high hopes in him to do something for this team. I was very upset when I read about his extended holiday. Why did BCB allow it?

As to shaun Williams, I never liked him, dont think that he did much for the team. I guess Siddons wanted him cause he is an Aussie. What is it that he contributes to the team?
Anyhow, lets wait and see what happens in the SA tour.

Well Shaun is an assistant coach so its not always possible to see what he's doing behind the scene. Who knows, he's probably working with the players who are practicing hard at Mirpur?

zainab
January 31, 2008, 05:49 PM
Siddons was the Asst coach in the Natwest series 2005, I am surprised that he could not remember that Bangladesh beat Australia in the very first game they played. The rest of the games were Australia's wins but the final game where Nafees and Mashud scored in the 70s was a good game, BD made 250 for 8 wickets. I hope these guys can try to play so well in the future, they batted the whole 50 overs.

rickshaman
February 1, 2008, 07:02 AM
i thought he was given tapes of some BD players before he came back to prepare for the NZ tour? so they were blank? in any event i still question his judgement in regards to the talent in BD. just the way he's been talking it seems like he doesn't think BD has that much talent, at least that's the impression i got.

bd dunt have much talent.....and there proving it match after match on da field.....it dsnt matta wat we kno.......but in reality dose eleven players playin on da field is representing da best players in bd........and it wont be right fer ne selector to say that they are leaving somone behind.........