PDA

View Full Version : 5 Things You Love and Loathe About Our Cricket and Why

Sohel
January 31, 2008, 05:00 AM
Love

1. Eid Al-Ashraf: NOTHING like it when it happens. The 100 against Australia, the 158 not out against India and the chanceless, defiant 41 ball 67 against India before succumbing to Kumble’s designs, made me feel like a part of something much bigger and better than myself. GOD bless our young skipper Mohammad Ashraful Matin. Remembering those moments and revisiting those feelings make me put things in perspective and understand the shot selection issues plaguing his evil twin- Ahammok AshraFOOL Batil … ;)

2. Our opening batsmen: Tamim’s ability to learn quickly just made my jaw drop once I saw him bat with a straight bat and improve his on side game in the NCL. All Bangladeshi batsmen need to take a page or two from his book. Zunaed Siddiqui is the most elegant Bangladeshi batsman I’ve seen to date and expect him bring joy in our lives for years to come. Together, Tamim and Zunaed have the potential to be one of the top opening pairs in all forms of International cricket, and may be the first Bangladeshi batsmen to average 50 each or close to it. I just can’t wait until they’re in their early 30s.

3. Mashrafe’s heart and Rajib’s aggression, in tandem: Like almost all other Bangladeshi bowlers, they both have issues with at least one, always costly, loose delivery per over and/or bowling several good overs in a row. But once they get a hold of themselves and learn to channel their electrifying aggression, they can make things happen when all seemed lost. Better pitches will make them better bowlers, and BCB needs to create better pitches, period.

4. Unifying force: Cricket brings us together as a people, irrespective of class, politics and religion better than anything else.

5. Passionate, loyal fans: Fans who battle through all of the usual disappointments and patiently wait for our young cricket culture at this level to continue to evolve. We bitch, we moan, we scream and we promise to find another pastime but when the match starts, we’re always there for more. Why? Because as Barack Obama said recently, “There’s nothing false about hope”, and like most of our tenacious countrymen and women, we remain duly optimistic. We are who we are and don’t want to anything else. BTW, we don’t burn our cricketers’ effigies either no matter how much we want to.

Loathe

1. Complacent management: Everybody knows what we need to do in order to develop faster, but they just don’t do those things as diligently as they need to. Arbitrary “systems”, general myopia, financial mismanagement, incompetence, nepotism and the typical jodi laigga jay mentality from parhar cricket matobbors continue to take one step forward and then two steps back. The cycle must end NOW.

2. Shaummanjonok paurajoy: Low self-esteem personified, the beast has many masks including the reliance on stop-gap measures and short-term, band-aid "solutions", aaargh ... :hairpull:

3. HaBa, Golla, Tushar and Rajin: Inability to play through the line or even try to control some of the damaging compulsions we know too well. HaBa’s unforgettably brain-dead captaincy, infectious smile and general delusions about his ability just ice it all. The Myth of Golla, Rajin Saleh torturously blocking full-tosses and half-volleys, and Tushar Imran plumbed with his pants down or fishing outside off with NO movement of the feet are no less painful and embarrassing to watch.

4. Athar Ali Khan’s commentary: A master of overstating the obvious and glorifying our “cricketing infrastructure”. Becoming a bit more interesting as a media personality and speaking grammatically correct English, especially with regards to numbers agreement, can make him a “liddibid” more bearable, but not much.

5. Fair weather fans: Self-explanatory opportunism and disloyalty. Moral corruption at its best. It's like abandoning your family and friends when the going gets tough, aaargh ... :hairpull:

nzfan
January 31, 2008, 05:27 AM
leave athar alone, i like that guy

Miraz
January 31, 2008, 05:45 AM
Bashar within the same bracket with Golla, Tushar and Rajin!!!

And all those adjectives to prove that Athar's commentary is inept!!!

Nah!! something looks very wrong here.

cricket_king
January 31, 2008, 06:15 AM
Call it copying but I couldn't replace our Ashraful:

LOVE:

1) Our beloved Ashraful - How can anyone not have him on the "love" list?

2) The uncertainty of the Bangladesh team - Like it or hate it, it's an integral part of Bangladesh cricket culture...we can do anything on any day against any side.

3) The youngens' - We are pretty much the only test playing nation who bring in players at such a young age. I for one love this idea, being a "little boy" myself. The flamboyancy of our young guns coming into bat sends a chill down any fan's spine...probably more to do with the duration of some of the innings.

4) MY Tamim - God he is so freakn' cool! I've been following him since he was 16 year old and he's still my fav Bangladeshi player. What a gangsta! :-D

5) Banglacricket - Without the Bangladesh team...there would be no Banglacricket. Though I've had my fair share of quarrels with some of the members, I still love you guys :) Long Live the Bangladesh team and Banglacricket :-D :flag:

LOATHE

1) Our inconsistent batting - Need I say more?

2) Losing continuously - Why? Why can't we win? :(

3) Embarrassment from critics around the world - Can't they just piss off?

4) Narrow-minded fans - For God's sake...THINK

5) Tushar Imran - He's broken my heart too many times.

zainab
January 31, 2008, 07:27 AM
Quote/ Sohel Bhai.

Passionate, loyal fans: Fans who battle through all of the usual disappointments and patiently wait for our young cricket culture at this level to continue to evolve. We bitch, we moan, we scream and we promise to find another pastime but when the match starts, we’re always there for more. Why? Because as Barack Obama said recently, “There’s nothing false about hope”, and like most of our tenacious countrymen and women, we remain duly optimistic. We are who we are and don’t want to anything else. BTW, we don’t burn our cricketers’ effigies either no matter how much we want to.

So true! so true!

All we fans live on hope, but inspite of all the disappointments, the frustrations, we still derive some joy. I will always love this team and support them.
Ashraful, even though I get so mad with him, will always remain my favourite, Tamim, who is so fearless as an opening bat, Mushy with his enthusiasm behind the wicket, keeping the boys on their toes in the field, complimenting the bowlers.
Around the world, Ashraful is still one of the favourites, and now Tamim is getting there.
I have high hopes that this year the team will win quite a few ODIs and their test performance will improve.

BD-Shardul
January 31, 2008, 12:08 PM
SNR bhai, I knew it long before that you don't like Hablu, JO, and HATE Saleh. If you say that you don't hate Saleh, you will be lying for sure.

No matter how crap they are, there were times when these players have made us proud. We all enjoyed those those moments, and still take pride remebering them. Just remember the contribution of Rajin Saleh in the Fatullah test, Javed's batting during the Pakistan series and so on.

Atahar Ali's commentary may be below par, but there is nothing to loath about. I still fill proud when I see that one of countryman doing the commentary for BD.

As for the shommanjonk porajoy stuff, I think we misunderstand it most of the times. OK, label me as a narrow minded fan, but I believe there is someting in this world called calculated risk (Of course I don't mean being ultra-defensive like Hablu). Look at Zimbows how they are playing in Pakistan. We may hate it as much as we can saying that poor Zimos are going for Shommanjonk Poray. But in reality, those guys are trying heart and soul to win by taking calculated risk. But our case is different. We couldn'r differentiate between calculated risk and honorable defeat and scores below 200 consistently. This is how the moral of the teams goes down.

Of course in reply you will unleash a shrewd attack with your unmatched linguistic skill, which I will not be able to refute with my Bhanga-Chura English Skill.

Rabz
January 31, 2008, 12:14 PM
Have to agree with Miraz bhai here.

Bashar even with all his haba-esque antics ( kebla kanto chehara, run out against eng in wc, obessive compulsive puller) still hold a special place in Bangladesh cricket (atleast to me).

There was a time when we didnt have Tamim,Junaed and Sakid et all to be hopefull about. There was a time Ash was still very new, Aftab was just making it and Mushy,Rajib,Sajid was somewhere out there in the para-cricket,dreaming about national team.

But then we had Habibul Bashar. He was our only knight in shining armour, raging a lone battle. He was scoring runs consistently and was our Mr.50. As a batsman, he was the only player to write home about. He is still our most successful captain.

May be he should have retired after the world cup. May be his form is in a downward slope. May be he should walk out with his held high while he can.

To call him one of the factors of "loathe", i find it a bit harsh.

But then again, its your personal choice and i can totally respect that.

akabir77
January 31, 2008, 12:22 PM
BD-Shadrul and Rabz you guys ROCK...

Tigers_eye
January 31, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Sohel bhai,
Great post!! Agree in all of them.
Loathe #3. caught my attention!!

Just can't agree on Habibul Bashar!! He needs to be down graded even further. Why don't people see his aging? I know they have not gone through that phase themselves. We, on the otherhand, a little older generation know that all too well. We have been there done that. No longer we step on the gas paddle just to a have a thrill out of nothing. If one drop catch can solidify the notion that he (Gilchrist) has slowed down a bit and can't perform like his haydays, age is catching up, then HB should have retired after the WC (if he had any dignity). The new improved BCB should not have resigned him for one full year. Instead give him a retirement bonus for his contributions, assist him going in to coaching or writing. That is how one rehabilitates a senior player not by extending a year contract and not allowing another promising players to have that opportunity.

Those who are willing to even try shoot me down, please, save it. Do not even try to compare Dada and HB. They are in different league. HB don't have dada's work ethic, nor does he have desire to play at this level (crossing 10 is his goal).

As for Rajin he is limited but he knows his limitations somewhat. The other Bd batsmen are ten times talented than him. But does not know how to play cricket. Can not build an innings. The ball they need to block they go for slog and give simple catch, clean bowled, plumb lbws. For test cricket I would stand by the stop-gap measure at this point and let the other talented players grow up a little bit and understand the game. At least understand the difference between a test match and a 5 over net practice. Very few can survive (30 balls) consistantly. Can't control the rush of blood at all.

For Tushar I am not going to comment.

For Javed Omar, we have better replacements. Even Nafis Iqbal is making a comeback.

Sohel
January 31, 2008, 12:52 PM
Chillax guys, this thread is all about personal opinions, NOT some sort of truth handed down from above. It's all about agreeing to disagree and all that. I just started with my 5s, hoping that some of my fellow members will do the same in addition to their comments with regards to what's being posted. Oh well ... :)

PS: It's highly umlikely I'll change my mind about HaBa, Golla and Tushar's game. I respect Rajin's fielding and work-ethic but really don't think it's good enough for International cricket. That said, I hope he proves me wrong.

Younger guys like Farhad and Mehrab have become cleaner hitters of the ball with better footwork and we see those improvements every match they play - Mehrab's comical and almost criminally stupid dismissal in NZ notwithstanding.

Just can't stand Ata and always wait for him to finish his monotonous banter.

auntu
January 31, 2008, 01:39 PM
ather just trying his level best. dont forget the bash he gave to amer sohel and ramiz raza at multan test time. SALUTE to him

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 01:54 PM
I don't like list :

1. First innings batting.
2. Running between the wkts by any two given batsmen, more so, in one dayers.
3. Domino like collapse of two-three wkts after the fall of one wkt. Maybe, running between the wkts suffer because of that. Gotta get over that.
4. Unprofessional attitude of older generation players. Some should know when their time has come and gone.
5. Zero contribution from our tail enders with the bat, something we were very good at a few years ago.

I Like list :

Don't like or love anything at the moment to be honest. But, I have my likings for a few players and strong disliking for a few other, but, at the moment, it all seems too irrelevant in the aftermath of the NZ trip. There are players that I know has the ability to play in intl cricket, but in the end, consistency is what matters. You can only achieve consistency once you work extra hard in the nets and in matches to overcome your weaknesses and stay disciplined. Till then, no love from my end !

However, I do enjoy a few little things from a few individual players from an entertainment point of view. They are: Ash's scoop shot over the fine-leg or any shots when he doesn't go airborne in the V, Aftab's lofted cover drives over the infield or pulls over the mid wkt, Tamim's eye pleasing off drives piercing the fielders, Mash's sharp in cutters, Rasel's delicate variation with scrambled seam, Razzak's hurried straight one etc..

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 01:59 PM

Yeah, a bit unfair, isn't it? Golla, Rajin, Tushar , to be fair, are on the sidelines and not getting any matches to warrant comparison with Bashar!:floor:

Murad
January 31, 2008, 02:09 PM

Miraz bhai, Bashar used to be everyone's favorite a few years earlier and now he has lost it. The way he plays his cricket nowadays, its like he's playing for the first time.

If it was last year, then i would have disagreed with Sohel bhai but I agree with him now as he's no different from Golla, Tushar & Rajin anymore.

It will be better for him to retire as soon as possible else he will lose all the respect he has earned over the last 7/8 years.

Miraz
January 31, 2008, 02:22 PM
Miraz bhai, Bashar used to be everyone's favorite a few years earlier and now he has lost it. The way he plays his cricket nowadays, its like he's playing for the first time.

If it was last year, then i would have disagreed with Sohel bhai but I agree with him now as he's no different from Golla, Tushar & Rajin anymore.

It will be better for him to retire as soon as possible else he will lose all the respect he has earned over the last 7/8 years.

Well, I am an old fan, not a fair weather one.

If Bashar produces nothing in the next series (IMO, if he fails to score a 50 in the home series against SA, he must retire immediately), Bashar will always have a special place in Bangladesh cricket.

Loathe him..........!!!!!!!!!!! A BIG NO.

He, along with Rafiq and Ashraful, kept the sinking ship of Bangladesh Test status afloat.

How can I forget that?

It's time for him to go and he will get a salute from me when he will call it a day.

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 02:30 PM
One more series? First it was 3000 runs, now, retire with dignity at home. What's next? 4,000 runs by 2012? The problem is, he won't call it a day, and the longer he floats around, the well deserved salute may turn into a one finger version..

Murad
January 31, 2008, 02:40 PM
Well, I am an old fan, not a fair weather one.

Loathe him..........!!!!!!!!!!! A BIG NO.

He, along with Rafiq and Ashraful, kept the sinking ship of Bangladesh Test status afloat.

How can I forget that?

It's time for him to go and he will get a salute from me when he will call it a day.

Miraz bhai,

Not only you, nobody will forget that. I've every respect for him for that. He was the best Test player of BD. BUt he's losing everything. I don't think he will retire after in this series. And if he doesn't then I don't think he will find a place in the team anymore and will eventually lose the well-deserved farewell from the fans.

Rafiq, on the other hand, will never lose his respects. The guy wanted to retire long time back(I guess 2 yrs before) when he was performing so well but BCB didn't let him so. And I got a feeling that he will retire in the middle of the upcoming tour. He will leave dignity and honour. Hope Bashar do the same.

Miraz
January 31, 2008, 02:56 PM
Miraz bhai,

Not only you, nobody will forget that. I've every respect for him for that. He was the best Test player of BD. BUt he's losing everything. I don't think he will retire after in this series. And if he doesn't then I don't think he will find a place in the team anymore and will eventually lose the well-deserved farewell from the fans.

Rafiq, on the other hand, will never lose his respects. The guy wanted to retire long time back(I guess 2 yrs before) when he was performing so well but BCB didn't let him so. And I got a feeling that he will retire in the middle of the upcoming tour. He will leave dignity and honour. Hope Bashar do the same.

Agreed with your thoughts.

Unfortunately a good number of fans have already forgot that and started name calling which is unfortunate.

A number of fans are also showing disrespectful attitude towards Rafiq which is unacceptable in my book.

Anyway, everyone here has got the freedom of expression and you have to live with that.

Kabir
January 31, 2008, 03:13 PM
Chance paile chara chari nai...eh? Aager shuta dhoira tana tanir obhash gelo na, bechara. There's no point in making another person feel ignorant/unworthy/worthless by providing your part of the story in a rather romantic way. Politically you may be correct, but lets not go there. Always trying to prove one person wrong makes you look like a fool.

Anyway, things to be proud of:

1. A young team, young blood.
2. Attitude of the players...not with the bat/ball, but in speaking and acting in the field.
3. The aggression Mash used to show, and that Tamim/Ashraful show once in a blue moon.
4. A one-time event that I'll never forget - the 165 run opening pair partnership in NZ test was just fabulous.
5. No monkey in the team...it's best left in Shundor bon

Only two things that I'm not proud of:
1. The fastest/worst loss (against NZ)...something I want to forget forever
2. The team management...specially the selectors. I know I'm not in their shoes, and that's the best part about blaming them!!!

Kabir
January 31, 2008, 03:18 PM
One more thing...

Dignity, is to be earned and preserved. Not something that is to be "gifted" to someone.

Ever heard of Suzuki? He was once in everyone's good books...until he sold himself to Walmart.

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
Count me in as one of those fans showing disrespect to Bashar. This respect thing should not be open ended or else it might catch the slippery slope of ending up at the altar of worship. What is more disrespectful ? Snide remarks from some fans? Or, refusing to call it a day, knowing his days are numbered and showing disrespect to the team and nation at large by not calling quits? I think the later has more ominous significance. He is daring the selectors to drop him by not calling it quits and they are afraid to do the right thing in fear of worshipers backlash.

Disrespecting Rafiq? He doesn't even respect his teammates, coaches, captain ( I thought he went psycho on Bashar ).So much for respect!

Ehsan
January 31, 2008, 03:50 PM
Nobody is asking you to respect if you don't want to, but your (all those who do) campaign to disrespect some of the past great players is very unpleasant. It's a shame that in every single thread people are discussing senior players' failure with insult and personal attack. Have we seen similar stuff for the failures of our young players? Not so much. I agree the seniors are not in the same shape or form anymore, but that does not allow you to disrespect them. They make themselves available (who won't? try putting yourself in their shoes and think, it's the source of their bread and butter), but it is the selectors who pick them. So, if you necessarily have to blame someone then blame the selectors. Not that our young player do great all the time.

What's surprising is some people have now started disrespecting Rafique openly! Do I need to remind you he was and is still our best spinner? Not just that, he is one of the best SLA that the world has seen. What can I say? You people just go to prove that bengalis are the most ungrateful people on earth.

tonoy
January 31, 2008, 04:03 PM
Nobody is asking you to respect if you don't want to, but your (all those who do) campaign to disrespect some of the past great players is very unpleasant. I agree they are not in the same shape or form anymore, but that does not allow you to disrespect them. They make themselves available (who won't? try putting yourself in their shoes and think, it's the source of their bread and butter), but it is the selectors who pick them. So, if you necessarily have to blame someone then blame the selectors. Not that our young player do great all the time.

What's surprising is some people have now started disrespecting Rafique openly! Do I need to remind you he was and is still our best spinner? Not just that, he is one of the best SLA that the world has seen. What can I say? You people just go to prove that bengalis are the most ungrateful people on earth.

Thank you. Might I also add the extent of the word loathe. How can you hate a player with great disgust after serving on your side for so long? I mean sure he is not in the best form, but to loathe him? Come on! I see this as no different as burning effigies. there are many things to loathe about Bd cricket team. However, I could never find a reason to loathe a player or a human(unless he does something against humanity).

By the way, I will still keep my signature.

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 04:24 PM
There is no such campaign. I strictly speak for myself and within my rights to do so, no matter how unpleasing it is to your palates. Nobody, including me, will be disrespecting Bashar had he taken the right decision a year ago. Now, he is forcing the hands of weak kneed selectors to dump him and they are obliging by not being ruthless in fear of backlash. Maybe, they share your ideas of eternal respect.

What do you mean by, " does not allow you to disrespect them"? I need permission from who? You, BCB, BC, fans ? They are in forum guidelines? If not, don't propagate false threats.

Please save your blabber about Rafiq. I have never questioned his cricketing abilities and you don't need to remind me that. I follow cricket pretty well and can see who has it and who lost it. Since, we are in the business of defining 'respect', maybe you need to check some facts about Rafiq's dismal disrespectful record towards his teammates and captain. Won't comment on your last line. It is tasteless and you will have to live with that.

Ehsan
January 31, 2008, 04:36 PM
Beamer, Beamer, that was a beamer. :) My post was not directed towards you, but all the hate-club members.

A lot of people have joined the hate-club. But let me tell you we are not Australia, do not compare Gilly's retirement to Bashar or Rafique.

What do you mean by, " does not allow you to disrespect them"? I need permission from who? You, BCB, BC, fans ? They are in forum guidelines? If not, don't propagate false threats.

It is your sense of moral that you need permission from. I was talking as member, a cricket fan and a human, not as a mod.

Please save your blabber about Rafiq. I have never questioned his cricketing abilities and you don't need to remind me that. I follow cricket pretty well and can see who has it and who lost it. Since, we are in the business of defining 'respect', maybe you need to check some facts about Rafiq's dismal disrespectful record towards his teammates and captain. Won't comment on your last line. It is tasteless and you will have to live with that.

If a dog bites you, will you go and bite the dog? What has Rafiq's disrectful record has to do with you respecting him? BTW I was not intending to define respect, and again I did not ask you to respect anyone if you do not intend to, its your choice. I think you need to read my last post again. Or else it is useless talking to you, as you have come down to attack me, I will refrain from replying to your posts in this thread.

Miraz
January 31, 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't know where from people are getting information about "Rafiq's dismal disrespectful record towards his teammates and captain"?

Except the Zimbabwe incident and one incident involving the physio (where Rafiq wanted to play .....), Rafiq has a very good relation with his teammates. In fact Rafiq is loved by most of the teammates for his simplicity and they make a lot of fun with him. Rafiq has an excellent relationship with current captain Ashraful since they met in the nets of Sidhdheswary ground which I mentioned in a previous article.

I am in touch with a number of players and can cite a number examples of such fun.

Giving one example, (in Bangla for obvious reason)

[বাংলা]রফিক তার ঢাকাইয়া এ্যাকসেন্ট এর কারনে প্যান্ট বলতে পারেনা (ট্রাউজার) । একটু ভুলোমনা রফিক প্রায়ই বলে আমার পেন (ট্রাউজার) কই, আমার পেন কই?? তখন বুলবুল জাতীয দলে আছে, ও পকেট থেকে একটা পেন (কলম) দিয়ে বলল, এই যে পেন, নে পড় । এরকম আরো অনেক মজার মজার কাহিনী আছে রফিককে নিয়ে । নিজের শোনা পাত্রপাত্রীদের কাছ থেকে, তাই অবিশ্বাস করার কোন কারণ নেই । [/বাংলা]

Rafiq earns a lot more respect from foreign journalists and fans compared to the attitude shown by some Bangladeshi journos and fans.

al Furqaan
January 31, 2008, 04:48 PM
subcontinent players rarely know when to quit. bashar is one of those. i for one think rafique should still be given a go and if he fails to perfrom, then he needs to be cut.

but bashar really has nothing left. we all respect him for his 3000 runs, but we are annoyed by his approach and his inability to call it quits.

its true we are not australia or even west indies, but bashar cannot offer anything. if anything his continued presence in the playing XI is holding us back. rajin could play in that spot, or mehrab, or anyone. but bashar still thinks that he can continue. most of us fans know that that is not possible. its not that we cheer his failure, but we recognize his end.

Kabir
January 31, 2008, 04:54 PM
Arekjon aise...matobbori marte.

Kothay kothay "ami hetere chini...utere chini...itere chini...hetane amar kaane aisha fu diya koiya gese".

Nonsense.

ialbd
January 31, 2008, 04:58 PM
Yea Sohel bhai pretty much summarized everything a Bangladeshi fan should love about cricket.

as for loathing:

function match(haba,golla,rajin){
return (shommanjonok_porajoy);
}

Miraz
January 31, 2008, 05:47 PM

Kothay kothay "ami hetere chini...utere chini...itere chini...hetane amar kaane aisha fu diya koiya gese".

Nonsense.

Kabir, Matobbori marar (!) jonno dukhkito although I had no intention to do a matobbori here.

Tarpor, how is your personal life going on? I hope you are not stressed and enjoying a fine life. Please convey my regards to your wife.

Kabir
January 31, 2008, 05:50 PM
Tarpor, how is your personal life going on? I hope you are not stressed and enjoying a fine life. Please convey my regards to your wife.

Thank you for asking, but forum is not a place to ask about one's personal life. You know my contact, and if you're interested you can ask me by contacting me directly.

Fazal
January 31, 2008, 05:57 PM

"ami hetere chini...utere chini" Khaisey Anney Kabirer Bou keu Chinen?

Omio
January 31, 2008, 08:13 PM
"ami hetere chini...utere chini" Khaisey Anney Kabirer Bou keu Chinen?
ai chini, heton khub bala .

GuruTM
January 31, 2008, 09:56 PM

Nonsense.

Lame personal attack. This post needs mods attention.

One World
January 31, 2008, 10:07 PM
This thread is precious. I was kind of enjoying the tug-of-war till it turned personal (BC bureaucracy :mad:).

Love:
1. Agression of Mash
2. Tamim's foot work
3. SN's comeback
4. The memories of Saint Lucia, Multan and Fatulla
5. The potential and talent which just needs to bloom

Hate:
1. Selectors who do not keep their promises
2. When fans show disrespect to players' who deserve much better
3. RBW
4. Khocha
5. Clumsiness in the field, dropping catches, missing easy direct hits

Sohel
January 31, 2008, 10:08 PM
Rafique is still essential to our bowling attack, ESPECIALLY under home conditions. He may be a little moody, but his wile and well-scripted arm balls over long spells can get us the wickets we need. Some of us who have watched him closely during NCL matches on BTV World saw him bowling well enough to feel he was unlucky not to rack up the type of numbers he perhaps could have. The same thing happened to Enam in New Zealand during the first test. Enam and Razzak will have their chances as will Saju Datta when the time comes. Mohammad Rafique still has a lot more to offer IMHO, just have him bat at #11 ... :)

GuruTM
January 31, 2008, 10:24 PM
1 thing i love about our cricket is BC.

1 thing i don't is the lack of patience by our players and fans(as well).

Fazal
January 31, 2008, 10:28 PM
" Given the fact that no clubs would be allowed to rope in more than three players, who have been bracketed in a national pool, clubs are even less enthusiastic about them. It was reported that some of the national players were not even approached by any clubs with only 72 hours to go before the transfer.

Mohammad Rafique, who in his prime was the hottest property in the transfer, could be the best example. Rafique played for Sonargaon Cricketers last season, but the club said they were unable to keep him this season due to budget constraint. No other clubs also seemed interested about him. " -newagebd (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)

Star fades.... shines go away.... people gets old and their skills diminish....and market value decreases accordingly and market correct itself...whether we admit it or not... this is the way of life.

Ajfar
January 31, 2008, 11:06 PM
eto dondo kenn ree bhai...com on..give sum credit to bashar...

Spitfire_x86
January 31, 2008, 11:10 PM
Love: It's ours.
Hate: We suck

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 11:11 PM
Beamer, Beamer, that was a beamer. :) My post was not directed towards you, but all the hate-club members.

I assumed it was since it followed my post. My bad. I don't want to sign up to the hate-club, but, he is making it very hard.

A lot of people have joined the hate-club. But let me tell you we are not Australia, do not compare Gilly's retirement to Bashar or Rafique.

Indeed. We are not Australia. Actually, not even close to NZ. But, until Bashar hangs it up, we won't find out who really is going to be our test no.3. There is no one that you can safely say is a shoe-in for that spot, but, we do have a few players who may eventually fill the need. There will be trials and errors, and I will rather start it now, then wait to see if Bashar gets his mojo back. It has been more than a full year and running since he has contributed anything and the manner he is going about doesn't give any indication either that he will get it back.

It is your sense of moral that you need permission from. I was talking as member, a cricket fan and a human, not as a mod.

My sense tells me he has lost his eyes. He is the only one who can admit it, but he is refusing to do that, and instead, giving poor excuses such as bad luck, bad form etc. My morality or lack of it is irrelevant in the context. What about the morality of Bashar? How long would he continue to take a free ride at the expense of the team and country? Immoral? No?

If a dog bites you, will you go and bite the dog? What has Rafiq's disrectful record has to do with you respecting him? BTW I was not intending to define respect, and again I did not ask you to respect anyone if you do not intend to, its your choice. I think you need to read my last post again. Or else it is useless talking to you, as you have come down to attack me, I will refrain from replying to your posts in this thread.

That all depends. If its a life and death situation, then sure,, if biting back the dog saves my life, then by all means. If its a simple bite and run, then, I would get a bigger dog to protect me in future.

I have admired Rafiq as a cricketer. Always did. I think he is among the top three that has ever played for BD. Nothing takes it away from him. I just can't respect a person who physically attacks a fellow mate. Mind you it was not a one off thing or two as suggested by someone to minimize the issue. It's physical confrontation we are talking about. I think its unacceptable and that individual, a repeat offender at that, has no respect from me, for what its worth. Immoral?

al Furqaan
January 31, 2008, 11:18 PM
people keep mentioning mash's agression...i don't see it.

i think he is the workhorse fast bowler for BD. bowls at a decent pace, cranks it up when he's in a belligerent mood, bowls with venom occaisionally, does most of the right things. always looks a cut above everyone else.

but the real killer is shahadat...the "narayangaj express"

he is from narayanganj, right?

Beamer
January 31, 2008, 11:19 PM
Rafique is still essential to our bowling attack, ESPECIALLY under home conditions. He may be a little moody, but his wile and well-scripted arm balls over long spells can get us the wickets we need. Some of us who have watched him closely during NCL matches on BTV World saw him bowling well enough to feel he was unlucky not to rack up the type of numbers he perhaps could have. The same thing happened to Enam in New Zealand during the first test. Enam and Razzak will have their chances as will Saju Datta when the time comes. Mohammad Rafique still has a lot more to offer IMHO, just have him bat at #11 ... :)

Sohel..

I didn't have the opportunity to watch him closely as you did. So, maybe, you have more insight in the matter. From what I remember of him off late, he too has lost a bit in his bowling. I didn't see too many of his sharp armers that earned him a lot of test wkts. He has become too much off a one day bowler, you know, the economical kind, holding one end in, while Raj picks up more wkts. Already, in the one day team, if you had to go with one spinner, it will be Raj first over him. In tests, he has been bowling way too flat for my liking, a casualty of one day game. His batting, once famous, has waned as well significantly. He can still produce and the urgency to drop him is not as acute as say a Bashar..

Dhakablues
January 31, 2008, 11:31 PM
My Top 5:
1. The die-hard fans and the unique cell-phone ads with our cricketers
2. The moment we doomed Indian hopes-the death of the Gods by three teenagers
3. Aftab/Ashraful slaughtering opponents, when they get going, no gods are safe!!
4. Shahadat's aggressive way of looking at the batsman. He is always confident
5. The hope,,our U-19 teams. They are always pushing the limits and winning more.

My Low 5:
1. Heartbreaking surrenders of our never learning talented batsman.
2. Not having an off-spinner in the team for 6 years ( How is that possible?)
3. Not having a strong selection policy. Its as Sohel said,,"Jodi Laigga Jai" model
4. Not able to see Akram/Nannu/Bulbul/ play together in a test series
5. Ashraful giving away wicket,, as soon as he is gone, all hopes fade immediately.

Ehsan
January 31, 2008, 11:40 PM
Beamer, I get your point. I remember how frustated I was when Khaled Mahmud resigned and came back. However, I am not as frustrated with Bashar, I feel he can still deliver if he finds his form and confidence back. Where as in the case of Mahmud, he was blocking both a spot for a bowler and batsman in the name of "all rounder". However, I or we did not went down to call him insulting names and throwing personal attacks. I remember somebody got as personal as to comment on JO or Bashar's wife. That's a shame! But to get to your point, we should not be complaining about Bashar giving up, rather we should complain to selectors to be more watchful. That's what I always asked for even in the case of Khaled Mahmud who was given way too many chances even after his continued abysmal form. In the case of Bashar, selectors have been acting quicker than Mahmud's case. He is not a part of our ODI team anymore, if he does not perform in this test series then I have a feeling that selectors may drop him for the next series which may eventually lead to his retirement.

BTW I am glad that you did not want to join the hate-club. Good on you, bro.

tonoy
January 31, 2008, 11:54 PM
aww, I luvz it when you guyz kiss and make up. :bighug:

Beamer
February 1, 2008, 12:08 AM
Ehsan

I respectfully disagree. I don't think he can get his form back. Actually, its not a matter of form any more. Its more than that. Losing form means you have a chance to regain it considering the ability is still there. He looks to me as some one who has lost his eyes, reflexes and overall ability. I have watched every major innings of Bashar and can you honestly tell me that he resembles anything from past? He looks late on his shots, the same shots that he used to get boundaries for. I guess, hope is good thing to have, and I can't knock you on that, but selectors can't bank on hope that has been waiting since the Aussie series at home.

I don't think I have ever personally attacked him. Called him HaBa a few times, shorter version of his actual name, but, hasn't done that in a while.

I agree with you about the selectors. Its ultimately up to them to do it. They are paid to do the right thing, but, afraid to do it considering his stature on the pantheon of BD cricket. Afraid of fans who are more worshipers than anything. Selectors have not been quicker with him. I disagree. He had to go in ODI's and maybe even before the WC. They didn't and he did nothing but provide laughter in the WC. Dropping Mashud was one too many big fish to fry for WC. The media took them to cleaners ( reporters are the extension of the fan-worship club ) and they didn't have the fortitude to do it. They gave him every chance to retire after the WC in the India series. He didn't for reasons only known to him and they had to axe him. His test life is on life support solely for his prior record and he continues to bank on it despite looking horrible in every innings for the past one year. How long are you guys gonna give him one more series? It always the next series. Gotta get the 3,000. Chance to retire at home. He is not going to do it. They have to remove him. Its long overdue.

Antora
February 1, 2008, 06:25 AM
2. Our opening Batsmen (hehehe)
3.Die hard fans who will watch even when we are 62 allout :-p
4. RAjib and MAsh roaring
5. BANGLACRICKET.COM !!!!!!!!:-D

Dislikes
1. our inconsistency
2.our selectors:waiting:
3.haba, Jo, ( am i gonna get bashed now?:-|)
4. Being called minows :(
5. The fact that we get innings defeated even after playing 50 or so test matches

Sohel
February 1, 2008, 07:17 AM
Sohel..

I didn't have the opportunity to watch him closely as you did. So, maybe, you have more insight in the matter. From what I remember of him off late, he too has lost a bit in his bowling. I didn't see too many of his sharp armers that earned him a lot of test wkts. He has become too much off a one day bowler, you know, the economical kind, holding one end in, while Raj picks up more wkts. Already, in the one day team, if you had to go with one spinner, it will be Raj first over him. In tests, he has been bowling way too flat for my liking, a casualty of one day game. His batting, once famous, has waned as well significantly. He can still produce and the urgency to drop him is not as acute as say a Bashar..

Twinsanity ...

Trust me on this and just wait and see. He still easily manipulates flight better than anybody save Enam and the youngling Shaju at their best, and his armers, I've actually posted a thread on this recently, are still lethal. Here's a longish excerpt from that post: -

So imagine their surprise when some typically inept and blasé captaincy from Rokon allowed them to ease back into the match and ponder a feasible draw during the first hour of play. They started to graft a partnership without too much difficulty as Rokon remained passive and positively HaBa-esque in his field settings, waiting for something to happen with his alleged mind on GOD knows what. His bowlers, including the wily veteran Mohammad Rafiq wasn’t going to get anything from their substitute captain, and if Rafiq wasn’t going to, neither could the twin mediocrity of the Slow Left Armer “Ghost Face Killah” Rubel and the supposedly reverse swinging lollipops from “All-rounder” Sharif. The less said about the skeletal Robin’s gentler medium pacers, and the somewhat effective but nevertheless part-time charms of Mehrab Jr. the better. Riyad, an excellent ‘containment’ bowler sans the knack for picking up wickets, is sparingly used in the longer versions of the sport for good reason, and nobody was about to rock that little boat. The early session was coming to a close with Dhaka leaking runs like a senile old drunk’s bladder in the proverbial Tenderloin District, USA.

With an anxious Ashraful looking on from the dressing room and popping Tylenol, Excedrin, Advil and what have you like candy, it was clearly time for Rafiq to take matters into his own hands and deliver the crucial breakthrough before Rokon’s esoteric genius let the situation degenerate further. He had to come up with a script which can set up a wicket for the taking, either by catching a batsman LBW-ed and caught with his pants down, or knocking off his stumps. He chose Dickens, the lesser of the two batsmen, as his probable victim and rose to the occasion as only he can.

He angled in and neatly grouped the first three balls on the same spot just outside off, turning in towards the batsman a bit. Although the deliveries seemed similar enough to the naked eye, he varied his pace in each, keeping an increasingly comfortable Dickens guessing into discomfort and unease as he defended those deliveries in used-book fashion, meaning all the required substance but without the flash and fragrance of something less handled.

Then came the beautiful arm ball from Mohammad Rafiq which sent Faisal Hossain Dickens back to the dressing room at 25. Looking at a delivery fed into the same line and length, Dickens expected the ball to turn a bit once again from just outside off stump, and ended up being duped into misjudging the real line of the pitch completely. The ball never turned despite all the signs to the contrary, and he found himself CLEAN BOWLED and bamboozled to the core, walking back to the dressing room plunged into deep disbelief and despair after the initial daze left his system. Shezan just dropped his jaw and stared on as Dhiman Ghosh, the last recognizable batsman in the Chittagong card, took guard. Dhiman survived the next two deliveries but the early and irreversible damage was done for Chittagong.

The veteran had struck again and bought his Captain some precious time before he relieved Rokon from the clutches of captaincy right before lunch. As Mohammad Ashraful’s fever subsided a bit, the chances of a Dhaka victory also increased dramatically, all thanks to the subtly critical over from the tirelessly innovative Mohammad Rafiq, still the very best we are fortunate to have.

LINK (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=24375)

You know me well enough to know that I'm not being sentimental when I say this ... :), but I'm sure he'll have a great test series with the ball and restore a lot of faith. That said, I don't see him in ODIs anymore. His apparent disinterest in batting and fielding, and the presence of Razzak, perhaps the best "containment" SLA in the world who can also bat quite a bit, makes him somewhat redundant. Then there's Moyna also. If the team wants to persist with 3 SLAs, I don't think they should, there are better and scrappier ODI options like Abul Bashar and MH Rubel in the pipeline, especially Bashar with his exceptional fielding and sensible batting.

tiger_army
February 1, 2008, 07:27 AM
leave athar alone, i like that guy

oh yea at least he is better then Jafarullah Sharafat or the Takla guy of Channel Eye....Athahars commentry is improving except some dumb comment but then he is a bangladeshi and its in our blood to act like a dumb for a while

Ishtylish cricketer
February 1, 2008, 11:13 AM
Love :
1) Aggressive intent in ODIs by most of our players
2) The fielding efforts-even our bowlers field pretty well
3) Compared to our neighbours, we seem to have have an united team
4) Syed Rasel's variations and Mortaza's rippers
5) That huge six by Tamim against Zaheer Khan- I will never forget that moment.

Loathe:
1) Inconsistency
2) Lack of killer instinct-on many instances oppositions were let off due to bad captaincy, application
3) Lack of temperment shown by bowlers and batters
4) Lack of application
5) Lack of punishment for those who play foolishly or underperform

al Furqaan
February 1, 2008, 11:35 AM
I remember somebody got as personal as to comment on JO or Bashar's wife. That's a shame!

that is indeed a shame. anyone who personally attacks any player on the team, even if it is bashar after scoring 10 straight test ducks, should be given a minimum of 1 week ban from BC.

however, most of us here condemn bashar for his unwillingness to call it quits. bashar has not a 50 in any form of the game in over a year! and its not because he's had a lack of chances. had he been 25, it would still not be wise to persist, because unlike an ashraful or tamim who can win you a game on their day, bashar cannot. if he was young, he would have to go back and get some consistency in the A team, or the NCL and then come back. however, bashar is 35 at least. he has no form, simply because he never had any to begin with. his game was based primarily on seeing the ball well and hitting it. and mind you, he was the best we ever had in the regard, and was probably as good as anyone in international cricket. now that he cannot do that anymore, he is as useful as a "no-mouth dog at a frisbee contest".

Sohel
February 1, 2008, 11:58 AM
For the record and I'm not being trollish here, I never was impressed by HaBa even when he was the only one scoring runs. The classic combination of streaky shots, playing across the line and well-documented compulsions have never been my thing. I expect more from International cricketers, especially from our own. I liked Bulbul, Nannu, Biddut and Opi from the previous generations.

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2008, 12:04 PM
This is the question we need to ask ourselves.

1) Players or National team? Who's interest we need to take care of first?

If National team, then we need to think of everything that would help the team in the long term and as well as the short term.
No personal favorites,
no what you have done in the past past but what can you do in the present (last couple of years should be good enough for a measuring stick),
no enormous potential without the result/performance,
no flash in the pan becoming stardom,
no one innings wonder.

If players then yeah we can have Habibul Bashar till he gets his 10k run in test. If this post becomes offensive and unacceptable to some, then too bad. Cause when I reread my post there was nothing offensive to me.

Thank you Beamer for your excellent post on HB. I was the only one not include him in the WC team a year back. Some laughed at me I remember. Some later came to senses. Eyesight and reflex can not increase on its own when a person crosses 35 which he did long time back. Then he reports like he is not lucky enough? (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=25204 read post # 58, 59, 60) Geez!!! What were the sixes you scored over the slip at NZ? How much more luck would you need? The game has past by him and he did not notice.

5 things I love:
1. J Siddons will weed out the unwanted in two years. He will leave with a better team, management, structure etc. what he had received.
2. New capable coaches looking after the younger talents. Woohoo!!
3. Some of the reforms BCB is taking. Still ways more to go but just a good start. I hope some of the media are keeping tabs. The bad stuff the fans have a very good hold of it already. And at times jumps the gun.
4. Improvement in attitude and believing in themselves (the young ones ofcourse)
5. Some of you may not but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. That is more than anticipating there is light at the end of the tunnel. We can be #1.

Loathe:
1. Fan-media worshiping players and hindering the team. Putting tremendous pressure on the selectors. Many times BD plays with 8 or 9 players against 11. Sigh!! It is not as easy as it seems.
2. Potential clash between JS and the selectors brewing. Just a hunch.
3. Communication between players and self-actualization.
4. Players not knowing the difference between the Twenty/20 and a test match. All of them Guilty as charged. Consistency issue!!
5. No off the field activity among the players to create bond in the off season (between the breaks)
6. BCB need to scrap Twenty/20 matches for the next 2 years at least. Withdraw from the Twenty/20 WC also.

Sohel
February 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
Spot on post Mijan. On your "loathe #2: Potential clash between JS and the selectors brewing. Just a hunch", it has already happened and the Coach has won. He has been clear about what he needs in order to do the job we're paying him to do since day 1, and according to an insinuation in one of Utpaul Shubhro's thinly veiled "anti-Siddons" PA articles before Tamim and Zunaed's record partnership, the Coach apparently threatened to quit if BCB stands in his way.

I seriously don't expect to see HaBa, Golla and Tushar in national colors again. Maybe Rajin too.

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2008, 12:24 PM
Spot on post Mijan. On your "loathe #2: Potential clash between JS and the selectors brewing. Just a hunch", it has already happened and the Coach has won. He has been clear about what he needs in order to do the job we're paying him to do since day 1, and according to an insinuation in one of Utpaul Shubhro's thinly veiled "anti-Siddons" PA articles before Tamim and Zunaed's record partnership, the Coach apparently threatened to quit if BCB stands in his way.

I seriously don't expect to see HaBa, Golla and Tushar in national colors again. Maybe Rajin too.
Thanks for the info, bro.
Knowing our blood this will not end so soon. That was a single battle. The War is on I guess then. We need JS the worst possible way at this juncture of our cricket. I fear the worst.

Ehsan
February 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
This is the question we need to ask ourselves.

1) Players or National team? Who's interest we need to take care of first?

I am going to comment here for myself. I said this before and I will say it again, the problem we have is with selectors, then why go after players? Afterall, that's the job of the selectors. Would you give up your job (the source of income) if you are not performing well when you believe you can come back? No, right? Why do you expect Bashar to do it? If your answer was yes, then you have a great soul and may be not all of us can. And yes, ofcourse the team comes first. Player-worshippers and player-haters are two extreme groups and belong to the same category in my book.

BTW Bashar is not even in my list of favourite players.

Miraz
February 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
T_E bhai, every fan wants to see Bangladesh performing and doing well in the international arena, no compromise there.

A player who performed in the past can fail, past performance doesn't guarantee current success. It's a part of the game and we have to live with that. But past performance is more important for a team like Bangladesh where performance is very few and far between compared to Australia where regular performance is a norm.

Now, Bashar is failing, it's high time for him to call it a day and retire with dignity. Fully agreed.

He was a performer, not a one innings wonder, not a flash in the pan and terms like nepotism never surfaced about Bashar. He was a performer among a bunch of non-performers. Now, recently he switched the team and joined the non-performer club.

Now can you hate him for his current non-performance?

There lies the problem. It's not the problem you are trying to define, it's something else.

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
I am going to comment here for myself. I said this before and I will say it again, the problem we have is with selectors, then why go after players? Afterall, that's the job of the selectors. Would you give up your job (the source of income) if you are not performing well when you believe you can come back? No, right? Why do you expect Bashar to do it? If your answer was yes, then you have a great soul and may be not all of us can. And yes, ofcourse the team comes first. Player-worshippers and player-haters are two extreme groups and belong to the same category in my book.

BTW Bashar is not even in my list of favourite players.
Thank you for your clarification.
Comparing Sports person's earnings to a commoner is wrong. Sports person at International level should know how long their lifeline is. It is at max 20 years. For some way less. Then a career change is absolutely necessary. Bashar has already had a successful glorious 15 years of cricket. But for a commoner the professional years spans double. My professional working time line has crossed 13 years. In cricketing age I am at 25-27 ;)
I think I have performed well thus never got fired as of yet. But also know I can perform better in the coming years. :) So probably me answering your question should come in another 20-25 years from now. Who knows if I have a good replacement and I see I am longer wanted may be I will step down early.

The selectors have faults no doubt but to defend the selectors a little, how much pressure they would have to face had the dropped HB after the NCL no show, not extend his contract? Here at BC, I created a poll where the maximum said they would wait and see his NCL performance to give him a place in NZ tour. And then many continue to sing his past accomplishments. The past will not get one through in the present where the enviroment has changed. As a human being living in BD, had the selectors got rid of Bashar, they may had to face verbal and physical abuse by the media and people every where. Even beaten up by the extreme fans. (We have too many of those) Gharey tho matro ekta matha. We all do things thinking "Pachey lokay kichu bolay". The selectors are more prone to this because of their job. Everyone scrutinizes their work. No exception. Hopefully they will take the right steps from here on and not worry about the media-fan backlash in news, paper, fansites.

Beamer
February 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
Sohel

I will take your word for it regarding Rafique. After all, you were spot on about Zunaid from the very beginning, and watching him bat left no doubt in my mind about his caliber. He will prosper. I stopped paying attention to what US of PA says anymore. He clearly has a cultivated friendship among the older generation and has become nothing more than a mouthpiece for them. Unfortunate.

T_E
Good post. You are right on. Even in WC, we batted a batsman short every game simply due to the fact that the captaincy was occupied by Bashar. Its funny how some of his fan-worship club members refuse to see the obvious that the time has passed him by. I don't blame them. Bashar refuses to see it too. I heard an incredible post here that said if he ( Bashar ) doesn't manage at least one 50 in the SA series, then maybe we will have to leave him out ! How low is the bar these days? And, even if he scratched an clawed his way to make a 50, which can happen in cricket, how does that change the scenario? We are to assume that he is back because of one 50? What about the series of failures dating back since early last year till now? Do we have to give him another year because he gets a 50 in SA series?

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2008, 01:18 PM
T_E bhai, every fan wants to see Bangladesh performing and doing well in the international arena, no compromise there.

A player who performed in the past can fail, past performance doesn't guarantee current success. It's a part of the game and we have to live with that. But past performance is more important for a team like Bangladesh where performance is very few and far between compared to Australia where regular performance is a norm.

Now, Bashar is failing, it's high time for him to call it a day and retire with dignity. Fully agreed.

He was a performer, not a one innings wonder, not a flash in the pan and terms like nepotism never surfaced about Bashar. He was a performer among a bunch of non-performers. Now, recently he switched the team and joined the non-performer club.

Now can you hate him for his current non-performance?

There lies the problem. It's not the problem you are trying to define, it's something else.
All good...

but the problem I saw with Habibul Bashar at least a year back including you many didn't see. Agree?

And for nepotism for Bashar did surface. Watmore and the other BCB Selectors did gave him two free ride.

Hate is strong word. Some may dislike HB but I think no one hates him. His mild nature does not allow anyone to hate him. Those who say here in virtual world just tries to show their anger that is all.

Miraz
February 1, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hate is strong word. Some may dislike HB but I think no one hates him. His mild nature does not allow anyone to hate him. Those who say here in virtual world just tries to show their anger that is all.

You are wrong there bro. A lot of people are justifying the reasons to hate him.

I have no problem in disliking him or anyone, but hate/loathe him? A BIG NO.

I can't hate a single Bangladeshi player who ever represented Bangladesh, I dislike many.

I hate/loathe many things about Bangladesh cricket, the policy, the lack of initiatives from the administrators, sometimes the lack of character of our boys, the inconsistency .... the list can continue. BUT, I can't hate or loathe a single player.

That's the point I was trying to raise and that's the point of the debate.

Beamer
February 1, 2008, 01:31 PM
I propose we start a piggy bank for Bashar, a retirement package from the fans, to show our respect to the ex-captain. If money is the issue , then what better way to alleviate some of the hardship of post retirement age then to start a fund.

For every run he scores, a one time donation of equivalent -/tk to be deposited in the piggy bank. Say, he scores 15 runs next match, you put 15 takas and not a penny more, then carry on to the next match. To make the pot heavier, I propose we start with his combined scores since Australia series at home, until the just concluded NZ series, both for tests and ODIs. I am sure, someone here will crunch the numbers. If the number is 700 runs, then put one time equivalent of 700 takas.

The day he retires, we break the bank, and hand it over to him to show our "Respect". A virtual piggy bank can also be created in BC, pending MOD approval, to monitor how much richer he will become when he decides to call quits. A sticky will do.

Sohel
February 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
To loathe one's actions, in this case his batting and what he has to write about it, is different from loathing the person IMHO.

If a player performs, he should be in the team. If not, then no. The "fundamentals" just increase the odds of his long term success as luck is bound to run out at some point. The math should be simple enough. BCB should not stand for Bangladesh Charity Board, just a thought ... :)

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
Beamer,
You are creating a monstor. If he knows this he will never call it quits and ask for the money when fired (One may want as much 401 K as he/she can have). Would he be eligible then?

Better BCB starts plans to incorporate these once valuable cricketers once they can't compete with the upcoming generations. Their knowledge will help the younger generations for sure. yearly coaching camp in their locality may be? A management position in their divisional cricket. Some management training perhaps.

Miraz
February 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
To loathe one's actions, in this case his batting and what he has to write about it, is different from loathing the person IMHO.

Sorry to say, you are digressing.....

If that was the point, there was no need for this debate. Time waste.

Loathe

3. HaBa, Golla, Tushar and Rajin: Inability to play through the line or even try to control some of the damaging compulsions we know too well. HaBa’s unforgettably brain-dead captaincy, infectious smile and general delusions about his ability just ice it all.

Sohel
February 1, 2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry to say, you are digressing.....

If that was the point, there was no need for this debate. Time waste.

Perhaps a closer read would clearly reveal I was talking about various elements of their cricket (and in HaBa's case what he had to write about his current "form"), i.e. ACTIONS ... :)

I don't like his smile as many in this world may hate mine, so what?

I really don't want to have this conversation with you Miraz. Let's just agree to disagree and be nice, OK?

Beamer
February 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
Beamer,
You are creating a monstor. If he knows this he will never call it quits and ask for the money when fired (One may want as much 401 K as he/she can have). Would he be eligible then?

Better BCB starts plans to incorporate these once valuable cricketers once they can't compete with the upcoming generations. Their knowledge will help the younger generations for sure. yearly coaching camp in their locality may be? A management position in their divisional cricket. Some management training perhaps.

Joking off course.

In any case, at the rate he is going, with the assumption he keeps on occupying a place in the team, how much money do you think he will have? I say, 100 taka's for the year 2008? A bit more here, less there..

Miraz
February 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sohel,
After going through your post again and all the discussions on this issue involving different members, I respectfully disagree.

Thank You.

I stick to my understanding.

Sohel
February 1, 2008, 01:57 PM
Sohel,
After going through your post again and all the discussions on this issue involving different members, I respectfully disagree.

Thank You.

Thank you Miraz ... :)

AsifTheManRahman
February 1, 2008, 02:57 PM
IMO, no one should be considered to be out of the race. As long as a player makes himself available for the national team, he should be taken into consideration.

In Bashar's case, I think a break might do him good. If he still can't make it, too bad. However, if he is not giving up, then there's no reason why we should label him as a gonner. This has been one of the problems in recent years - one that has led us to field inexperienced squads over and over again.

Now if he decides to retire, we should by all means retain him through a managerial role at BCB (given his communication skills and clear ability to manage people - he is without any doubt a people person) or in any other capacity, because his knowledge of the game, one that comes to a large extent from having played test cricket (something that many of our ex-cricketers don't have), will be invaluable.

Sohel
February 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
I propose we start a piggy bank for Bashar, a retirement package from the fans, to show our respect to the ex-captain. If money is the issue , then what better way to alleviate some of the hardship of post retirement age then to start a fund.

For every run he scores, a one time donation of equivalent -/tk to be deposited in the piggy bank. Say, he scores 15 runs next match, you put 15 takas and not a penny more, then carry on to the next match. To make the pot heavier, I propose we start with his combined scores since Australia series at home, until the just concluded NZ series, both for tests and ODIs. I am sure, someone here will crunch the numbers. If the number is 700 runs, then put one time equivalent of 700 takas.

The day he retires, we break the bank, and hand it over to him to show our "Respect". A virtual piggy bank can also be created in BC, pending MOD approval, to monitor how much richer he will become when he decides to call quits. A sticky will do.

I like the 420;) Plan myself ... continue to collect salary after the eventually undignified retirement, inflation adjusted of course.

smashyboy
February 5, 2008, 12:24 PM
5. Fair weather fans: Self-explanatory opportunism and disloyalty. Moral corruption at its best. It's like abandoning your family and friends when the going gets tough, aaargh ... :hairpull:

:floor: Is there any point when going was not tough for BD .. Going has been tough since they made debut.. let's see they are on their way to creating records for consecutive Test losses just like Australia does in the oppositve way.

Hatebreed
February 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
In no particular order-

Love:
We are a young team, full of exciting players and future prospects
Beating the likes of Australia and India
Passion for this sport regardless of social status, age, gender, religion, whatever
Ashraful's Eid
The BC communityHate:
Inconsistency at winning games, giving up when there is still a chance
Over-promising, under-delivering
Immaturity and irresponsibility of players, making the same mistakes over and over again
Players pushed into the national side with limited first-class or similar experience
Fan behaviour in general- unrealistic expections, exuberant celebrations, fans who change their favourite player and tune every other day, and make scapegoats of out a player despite the collective failure of the team

smashyboy
February 5, 2008, 02:08 PM
Bangladesh Records

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/284056.html

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/284055.html

Bengaliprince176
February 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
5 things love- 1) its Bangladesh lol!
2) youngsters
3) unpredictable ( yes i like that lol)
4) despite the trouble in the country presently, they have stayed as a team and united
5) play with passion and a happiness that is heartening to watch!

5 things hate- 1) the inability to turn obvious talent into sucess- tho theres stil time
2) this choking business- all asian teams have it (tho i knw BD arent the worst lol!)
3) AShrafuls magic ability to turn off his overblooming talent! ahhh!!
4) Domestic structure- not the best
5) U BAST**DS knocked us out the world cup and ruined sachin and gangus last world cup!! grrrr lol i cnt think of a 5th atm lol

btw let me remind me please dont hate players who play with pride for their country, u are lucky enuf to not have heroes like mohdm azharuddin and jadeja who betrayed their country for money, thats why any cricketer who plays cleanly for their country- i have full respect for! except dhoni! and i still respect him 99%

BANFAN
February 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
Love
ultra positive attitude of ou Fans
Enthusiasm of our Fans
Youthful Team
Blinks of good individual performances
Victories and fights they produced

Loath!!
Downward learning curve
No ambition of the players, beyond getting into the national team for once
Cheaply Throwing away wickets repeatedly
Lack of skill and patience
Poor body language showing signs of resignation before it is over

BD-Shardul
February 10, 2008, 03:01 AM
Bangladesh Records

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/284056.html

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/284055.html

Currently we are 11 not out in ODIs and 6 not out in tests in terms of losing streak.

:(:hairpull::mad::timeout::sick:

BD-Shardul
February 10, 2008, 03:02 AM
5) U BAST**DS knocked us out the world cup and ruined sachin and gangus last world cup!! grrrr lol i cnt think of a 5th atm lol

I know that you are a well wisher of BD cricket, still I didn't like the use of that word in BC.

cricket_king
February 11, 2008, 12:41 AM
5 things love- 1) its Bangladesh lol!
2) youngsters
3) unpredictable ( yes i like that lol)
4) despite the trouble in the country presently, they have stayed as a team and united
5) play with passion and a happiness that is heartening to watch!

5 things hate- 1) the inability to turn obvious talent into sucess- tho theres stil time
2) this choking business- all asian teams have it (tho i knw BD arent the worst lol!)
3) AShrafuls magic ability to turn off his overblooming talent! ahhh!!
4) Domestic structure- not the best

btw let me remind me please dont hate players who play with pride for their country, u are lucky enuf to not have heroes like mohdm azharuddin and jadeja who betrayed their country for money, thats why any cricketer who plays cleanly for their country- i have full respect for! except dhoni! and i still respect him 99%
Watch the language. Anyone can get easily offended by such a word.

Rabz
February 12, 2008, 01:13 PM

Ouch! that still hurts isnt it. :D:D

Almost a year to that date, March 17th.

May be we should organize an anniversary.

Bengaliprince176
February 14, 2008, 02:12 PM
my apologies if anyone got offended by that word...it was meant to be a joke. sorry 2nd generation culture clash.....

lol rabz maybe u shud, coz i joined that day, im sure many people did join BC during the world cup!

Alien
February 15, 2008, 07:51 AM
Love

1. Eid Al-Ashraf:

HAHAHA
:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor::floor: :floor:

Thats the funniest thing I heard. :-D

Alien
February 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
people keep mentioning mash's agression...i don't see it.

i think he is the workhorse fast bowler for BD. bowls at a decent pace, cranks it up when he's in a belligerent mood, bowls with venom occaisionally, does most of the right things. always looks a cut above everyone else.

but the real killer is shahadat...the "narayangaj express"

he is from narayanganj, right?

In international standard, it's just below "decent pace". I am refering to the speed. Otherwise he is a top bloke. So far he is/has been the lone lead fast bowler in a country where quality fast bowlers is rarer than honest politicians.

Miraz
February 15, 2008, 08:01 AM

:-D

I know it hurts and we enjoy that. Ahhare chuk chuk.....one suggestion... BCCI should formulate a plan to avoid Bangladesh in the world cups. :D

Lucky India, managed to escape Bangladesh in the Twenty20 World cup and won the trophy. :-p

BTW, the language might sound offensive to some of BC members, but people living abroad should understand the light nature of the joke.