PDA

View Full Version : Asia Cup in June possibly...

al Furqaan
February 1, 2008, 06:52 PM
Just read on PakPassion that Asia Cup is scheduled for June 24 start. Apparently the ICC has finalized the schedule. So far BCCI has confirmed its participation (lets see for how long).

AsifTheManRahman
February 1, 2008, 06:59 PM
Don't tell me they're kicking out the ACC associates.

Buddhika_s
February 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
I think it's Pakistan, India, Hong Kong on one group, SRi Lanka, Bangladesh and UAE in one group.

So don't worry BD will make it to the semis.

sandpiper
February 1, 2008, 07:22 PM
We are not even thinking about that. We are planning for final ;)

:fanflag:
I think it's Pakistan, India, Hong Kong on one group, SRi Lanka, Bangladesh and UAE in one group.

Antora
February 1, 2008, 07:40 PM

why do we always end up in the same group as lanka?:-/

mshakir56
February 2, 2008, 01:16 AM
why do we always end up in the same group as lanka?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats because Srilanka recently signed a deal with the Bangladesh board that they would like to play more matches against each other , and Score over 300 runs every time that they Play against Bangladesh. Cricket Srilanka chief, Arjuna Ranatunga was heard saying " Cricket is a game of smacking the bowler all over the stadium, and we would like to showcase the greatness of the game of cricket by scoring 300+ runs against our good friend Bangladesh." And He receives a round of applause from the worlds Superstar Batsman, Mohammed Ashrafool !

bdchamp20
February 2, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am confused Asia Cup in June, IPL in April when is the BD,Ind,Pak tri-series

mshakir56
February 2, 2008, 11:49 AM

I think the Tri-series might be postponed or cancelled, cause India is having the IPL. I am not sure though. I read somewhere, India is making an excuse because of the IPL.

Rabz
February 2, 2008, 12:02 PM
why do we always end up in the same group as lanka?:-/

Cuz ind-pak in the same group means one "sure-fire" contest between them ( read more bling bling for the organisers)...

and if they have thier way (wishful thinking)... india-pak final again...

If they were in different groups, they could have faced each other in the semis, thus prematurely ending their hopes, but more importantly, chances of them playing each other twice in space of a week or so.

Its all about the money.

kalpurush
February 2, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hopefully by 2011! ...after BD win of WC!!;)

Xavier
February 2, 2008, 05:43 PM
Here it is reported that it will be Oman and UAE to join the competition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Asia_Cup

I'd really like to see Afghanistan and Nepal playing there... they are fast-developing and should be helped by other asian full-members.

Rifat
February 2, 2008, 06:22 PM
Bangladesh will never improve until they seriously set serious target challenging serious oppositions beating them comprehensively(i meant to say seriously)

al-Sagar
February 3, 2008, 09:46 PM
u never know when PCB and BCCI changes their minds

mshakir56
February 3, 2008, 11:28 PM

You sound as if you got some friends who works for PCB or BCCI !

kalpurush
February 4, 2008, 01:45 AM
ঠিক! এদের চেয়ে নারীর মন বুঝাও সহজ...;)

jahidus200
February 4, 2008, 10:16 AM

the kind of player we have i think we can go final if they play better . i ma talking about like tamim , masraffie , aftab , ashraful , if they play good for our nation i think we will win aginst anybody.

mshakir56
February 4, 2008, 12:48 PM
the kind of player we have i think we can go final if they play better . i ma talking about like tamim , masraffie , aftab , ashraful , if they play good for our nation i think we will win aginst anybody.

you are right, but there is a Big IF ! That is IF they play !

Bengaliprince176
February 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
lol, oh no, India will get knocked out by u guys again when we play....i mean unless they bring back Dada in the team!

al-Sagar
February 8, 2008, 04:08 AM

well bangladesh could end up being in the wrong side of upsets, that s BEATEN BY UAE. like we were beaten by canada, kenya and ireland in the worldcups.

REMEMBER, bangladesh can cause upsets, also can be the prey of upsets

reyme
February 12, 2008, 06:16 PM

জাহিদুস, রাসেল আবার কি সমস্যা করল?

cricman
February 12, 2008, 07:40 PM
well bangladesh could end up being in the wrong side of upsets, that s BEATEN BY UAE. like we were beaten by canada, kenya and ireland in the worldcups.

REMEMBER, bangladesh can cause upsets, also can be the prey of upsets

not a chance in hell our U-19 are better than them

BD-Shardul
February 13, 2008, 01:30 AM
In last Asia cup, UAE give good fight against SL. They made SL all out for 239. We should be careful when we play against them. No matter how weak a team is, you cannot take them lightly.

cricman
February 13, 2008, 05:16 AM
The winners and runners up of the Asia Cup will play the winners and runner up of a proposed event called the Africa cup (Which is BS since it'll be SA and probably Zim). Those 4 teams are gonna take part in the Afro Asian Cup

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/336463.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

June 24 vs UAE
June 25 vs Lanka
June 28 vs India/Pak

From there I get confused i thought it was going to be a KO stage in the SF and F but cricinfo gave me this

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/series/298014.html?template=schedule

Eshen
March 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
SL raise Asia Cup concerns (http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=100497)
Sources told ‘The News’ that Sri Lanka have expressed reservations about competing in the Asia Cup which is pencilled in for this summer in Pakistan, saying that the country could be unsafe for its cricketers.

Pakistan are already bracing for Australia’s pull-out from a bilateral series which is scheduled to start later this month and a similar problem related to the Asia Cup will come as a back-breaking jolt for them.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) recently announced the dates and schedule of the Asia Cup according to which the tournament will be played in Lahore and Karachi from June 25-July 6. Last month, Asia’s top cricket-playing nations — India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh — confirmed their participation in the event.

Associate members Hong Kong and United Arab Emirates will also feature in the tournament which is being held for the first time since Sri Lanka hosted it in 2004.A top PCB official had said last week that the competing teams have complete faith in Pakistan’s ability to provide their players and officials with a fool-proof security blanket during the course of the tournament.

Shafqat Naghmi, PCB’s Chief Operating Officer, had said that neither of the participating teams insisted for a security inspection before the tournament. Associate members Hong Kong and United Arab Emirates will also play in the first Asia Cup since 2004 in Sri Lanka. The tournament’s itinerary was decided following a meeting of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) in Kuala Lumpur last month.

In spite of the current wave of violence in the country, PCB officials appeared confident that Asian teams will come to Pakistan for the regional spectacle and help it improve its image in the cricket world.

But sources said that the PCB officials were left unpleasantly surprised after hearing security concerns raised by Sri Lankan cricket officials.The sources said that there is a possibility that the Sri Lankans might be planning to lobby to get the hosting rights of the Asia Cup if it’s shifted from Pakistan.

In the past, Sri Lankan cricket chief Arjuna Ranatunga had openly offered to host the Asia Cup in case Pakistan opted to back down as hosts because of security problems. His offer came in the wake former premier Benazir Bhutto’s assassination last December.

zahid
March 9, 2008, 08:22 PM
why do we always end up in the same group as lanka?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats because Srilanka recently signed a deal with the Bangladesh board that they would like to play more matches against each other , and Score over 300 runs every time that they Play against Bangladesh. Cricket Srilanka chief, Arjuna Ranatunga was heard saying " Cricket is a game of smacking the bowler all over the stadium, and we would like to showcase the greatness of the game of cricket by scoring 300+ runs against our good friend Bangladesh." And He receives a round of applause from the worlds Superstar Batsman, Mohammed Ashrafool !

:lol::floor:
LOL
AHAHHAHAHAH

al Furqaan
March 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
well it ain't like sri lanka is much safer.

sri lanka is just a darker version of pakistan right now...:-D

zainab
March 10, 2008, 04:53 PM
well it ain't like sri lanka is much safer.

sri lanka is just a darker version of pakistan right now...:-D

Thoroughly agree on these points. anything can happen in these two volatile countries.
They both have suicide bombers.

ialbd
March 10, 2008, 07:50 PM
we are still playing the Asia Cup, right? just checking.....

kontay je asi ar kontay je baad..... hav to keep an eye...