PDA

View Full Version : Mashrafe Mortaza becomes highest paid domestic player ever

sxclaviva
February 2, 2008, 03:08 PM
Mashrafe Mortaza, the Bangladesh pace spearhead has been confirmed as a Biman Bangladesh player. The dashing all-rounder who was pivotal to Abahani's glory last season was one of the first stars from the national pool to sign for a Premier League club. What was most astounding about the deal was he surpassed players like Mohammad Ashraful, Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury and Shahriar Nafees Ahmed to become the highest paid Premier League player ever as he is guaranteed a minimum of Tk. 10 lakhs for this season. According to some reports the Narail Express could earn up to Tk. 15 lakhs through appearance and performance. Though there were speculations that the Premier League clubs were in financial crisis and looked to spend at the minimum level, Biman Bangladesh has proven that they won't leave any stone untouched to win this year's tournament. When Mortaza was asked if rumors were true about this record deal he had a wide smile on his face and said:"The only thing I can ensure you is that I will be playing for Biman this season." Other notable signings include and Aftab for Mohammedan, Tamim for Biman, Shakib for BKSP, Pilot for Surjo Torun, Shahriar for Abahani, their fianancial deals are still unrevealed.

Nafi
February 2, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wait most paid BD domestic player or in the world (which I doubt)

Soheni
February 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
I don't get it

Moshin
February 2, 2008, 03:36 PM
What... is it just in Bangladesh or around the world? Has he toppled Shane Warne or somthing? No way...

AsifTheManRahman
February 2, 2008, 04:10 PM
In Bangladesh, of course. This is not rocket science. ;)

The second highest that I can think of was 7 lakhs for Ashraful a couple of years ago.

bdchamp20
February 2, 2008, 04:14 PM
Obviously in BD...lol, But the real question is, is he really worth Tk. 10 lakhs? I mean if I wes a club owner I'd much rather hire Junaed Siddique and Shahadat Hossain to play for me and still that would cost less than Mashrafe alone I guess..

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2008, 04:22 PM
source please.
Congrats!! Make sure you return the fans something to remember.

Fazal
February 2, 2008, 04:34 PM
Spending too much money in already established National Stars or ex-stars are kind of wasting money unless they are the upcoming stars like Junaid, Tamim, Sakib, Farhad etc.

Local team will get better value for their money investing in young stars who are either just joined in the national team, or about to knock the door.

Its a better investment to go after experienced players like Tushar, Alok, Rajin, Golla (will cost less money) rather than players like Bashar, Rafiq, Pilot (as they will still cost lots of money).

NCL performance is a kind of the indicator close to reality how these players are going to perform in local league. Paying 10 lacs on Narail Express or similar amount to Ash is obviously investing too much in wrong place and close to gambling in my opinion.

ialbd
February 2, 2008, 04:35 PM
I mean if I wes a club owner I'd much rather hire Junaed Siddique and Shahadat Hossain to play for me and still that would cost less than Mashrafe alone I guess..

exactly what I was thinking. Would rather invest on "lower-profile" players, given that they all have the similar probability of succeeding...

RazabQ
February 2, 2008, 10:03 PM
You guys don't get it. At the league level, Mash, if he's motivated enough, is a genuine all-rounder. They are getting one of the top 2 pace bowlers in the country plus a guy who's consistently going to score 30-40 runs real quick. I think of all the nats, he's thus definitely worth the bucks. If you have a decent team, than Mashrafee can be the one player who gives you pushes you to a potential championship caliber one. Mind you, this is based on the premise that there will be no one in the league who will be generating pace and bounce consistently enough for chicken Mash to be backing away. Aside from 1-2 opening bowlers he'll be facing club-level trundlers. And his fastish off-cutters should fetch him plenty of wickets against our leaden footed local batsmen.

The only other player who is potentially worth this kinda money is Sakib. Same utility purposes.

Rabz
February 3, 2008, 02:12 AM
If anybody in BD cricket worths 10 lacks, its Mashrafee.
Im sure the investors would their return back with interest.

Good for him.

BANFAN
February 3, 2008, 02:45 AM
It's good but Still not good enough. Our footbal players once used to get moe than that. Hope it will go much higher as the players improve their peformance. It works as inspiration for even the new comers to perform better and earn higher in future.

Expecting the potential new comers to get more than established performers, sounds very funny. It means a new player has no incentive for impovement to earn more in future, riding on a declining career, does it work that way?

Dhakablues
February 3, 2008, 02:45 AM
Well the caveat is that they included the business-class biman fair into that package, he wont actually get cash 10 lakhs. If I were him, I wouldve asked cash of that money,, cause, I dont know how worthy or safe a Biman business class ticket is, chances are he is stuck somewhere in Europe for a month and ending up missing a series!! Hey,, anything can happen with B(e)iman Bangladesh Airlines..

One World
February 3, 2008, 03:56 AM
Good for MASH.

al-Sagar
February 3, 2008, 04:27 AM
let him prove he is worth that money by taking wickets and also bat a bit intelligently, not like a headless chicken.

Tigers_eye
February 3, 2008, 08:43 AM
Why no source yet? Chil'rey kay dabrailo? Kan pabo kamney?

Ajfar
February 3, 2008, 09:40 AM
mashrafee...jerokom tumar dam barchee...serokom kintu kajo koiraa dekaitee hoiboo..

lamisa
February 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
yea let mash prove dat hez actually worth the bucks den i vl speak!

mshakir56
February 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
He is certainly worth this money if he stops moving away from his stumps.

AsifTheManRahman
February 3, 2008, 01:29 PM
The younger players are not worth that much yet. Mashrafe's earned it.

bdchamp20
February 3, 2008, 02:15 PM
according to thedailystar.net Mashrafe was the highest paid player last season as well..didnt know that..but good to see players earning decent amounts..would be better if increases

Kana-Baba
February 3, 2008, 05:46 PM
Both Bulbul and Nannu got 8 lakh 6/7 years ago in Dhaka League, which worth more than Mash's 10 lakh, if you convert the amount to US Dollar.

AsifTheManRahman
February 3, 2008, 07:08 PM
But they are not living in the US. Now if you'd referred to inflation, that'd be different.

mshakir56
February 3, 2008, 11:47 PM
Both Bulbul and Nannu got 8 lakh 6/7 years ago in Dhaka League, which worth more than Mash's 10 lakh, if you convert the amount to US Dollar.

If the Dhaka league improved the way it should have , then the players would have been getting 20 laks minimum.

Ajfar
February 5, 2008, 12:43 AM
damn...so i guess cricketer make nothing comparing to other sports..anyone knw who's the most paid cricket player in the world??

abu2abu
February 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know which (if any) overseas players will be taking part this season? Is there a place for that old stalwart Steve Tikolo for example?...

BanCricFan
February 5, 2008, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know which (if any) overseas players will be taking part this season? Is there a place for that old stalwart Steve Tikolo for example?...

He is getting too old. They should rope in Tait and Bond. Tait playing shaukhin cricket in BD may do him a world of good. Bond might need a few Takas as well. Being a Bobby on the beat doesn't pay all that well these days...and IPL is a good few months away too.

The flipside, we might have to get used to 25 overs a game.

Kabir
February 5, 2008, 12:45 PM
More money is better...will help attract more players in playing professionally.

People rarely commit to something out of pure love these days. :)

Beamer
February 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
You guys don't get it. At the league level, Mash, if he's motivated enough, is a genuine all-rounder. They are getting one of the top 2 pace bowlers in the country plus a guy who's consistently going to score 30-40 runs real quick. I think of all the nats, he's thus definitely worth the bucks. If you have a decent team, than Mashrafee can be the one player who gives you pushes you to a potential championship caliber one. Mind you, this is based on the premise that there will be no one in the league who will be generating pace and bounce consistently enough for chicken Mash to be backing away. Aside from 1-2 opening bowlers he'll be facing club-level trundlers. And his fastish off-cutters should fetch him plenty of wickets against our leaden footed local batsmen.

The only other player who is potentially worth this kinda money is Sakib. Same utility purposes.

So true what you said about Mashrafee. He is a different batsman on slow pitches operating against slow medium pacers or spinners.