PDA

View Full Version : BCB announces Bangladesh Squad for home series against South Africa

Miraz
February 6, 2008, 09:58 AM
The Following players have been selected for the Bangladesh National Squad for South Africa's Tour of Bangladesh 2008. The Team for the Test Series against South Africa will be named later.

All players (excepting the reserves) are requested to report to National Team Head Coach Jamie Siddons at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Dhaka at 8:45am on Saturday, 09 February 2008:

SQUAD

1. Mohammad Ashraful (Captain)

2. Kazi Habibul Bashar

3. Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury

4. Zunaed Siddique

5. Tamim Iqbal Khan

6. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed

7. Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (Vice-captain)

8. Kazi Shahadat Hossain

9. Mushfiqur Rahim

10. Sajedul Islam

11. Shakib Al Hasan

12. Rajin Salah Alam

13. Farhad Reza

14. Abdur Razzak

15. Enamul Haque Jr.

16. Mohammed Rafique

17. Syed Rasel

Reserves

1. Khaled Mashud

2. Nazim Uddin

3. Talha Jubaer

4. Dollar Mahmud

5. Mahmudullah Riyad

6. Mosharraf Hossain Rubel

Source : BCB media release

Miraz
February 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
No major change from the NZ squad.

Good to see Rafique back in action.

Miraz
February 6, 2008, 10:04 AM
Team for warm-up match against South Africa

Following is the Team for the three-day (February 17-19) warm-up match against touring South Africa at Narayangonj Osmani Stadium (Fatullah):

Team

1. Zunaed Siddique

2. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed

3. Nazim Uddin

4. Rajin Salah Alam

5. Shakib Al Hasan

6. Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury

7. Mushfiqur Rahim

8. Enamul Haque Jr.

9. Sajedul Islam

10. Talha Jubaer

11. Farhad Reza

12. Syed Rasel

13. Roqibul Hassan

14. Kazi Habibul Bashar

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2008, 10:16 AM
:hairpull:Why Dollar Mahmood?:hairpull:
Even in reserve???
Uffff!! Ar bacha galo na.

Ajfar
February 6, 2008, 10:24 AM
gud to see rasel bak..

AsifTheManRahman
February 6, 2008, 11:00 AM
So Tamim doesn't get to warm up eh? Straight to the action? Wouldn't it be nice if we sat Zunaed out too? Just so that the Saffers can't figure him out ahead of the real games?

I hope Rasel gets to play in the three-dayer.

al-Sagar
February 6, 2008, 11:20 AM
no major surprise in the 17. these 17 are the ones who will be in the test and odi squad.

nice to see rafique back.

also nice to see talha, rubel and nazimuddin getting the nod in the reserves. looks they are gettng close to be included in the squad.

only problem is i would have liked to see RUBEL in the practice match. RIQIBUL gets a chance thats nice. also it consists some of the fringe players which is fine.

and rasel is recovering from injury which is a good news.

sadi
February 6, 2008, 11:25 AM
Bashar in the odi squad. Yeiiiii......... is he retiring soon like Rafique? If not, what is he doing here? Even if he is retiring, what is he doing here?

No Kapali, No Rajin, No Tushar. Siddons figured it out pretty quickly. Agree with ATMR. Tamim should play the warm match if fit.

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
eita ODI squad na.
Bashar in the odi squad. Yeiiiii......... is he retiring soon like Rafique? If not, what is he doing here? Even if he is retiring, what is he doing here?

No Kapali, No Rajin, No Tushar. Siddons figured it out pretty quickly. Agree with ATMR. Tamim should play the warm match if fit.
Rajin asey. Onno duita nai.

mshakir56
February 6, 2008, 11:39 AM
All the reserve players should have been included in the tour match. I wanted to see Nazim Uddin in the main list, but the selectors thought otherwise. We need aggressive batsman against South Africa who are not afraid of pace. The way Nazimuddin smashed Shoaib Akther and Asif , I thought he would have made a good impression South Africa. I know he is a genuine LBW candidate, who has problems with full ball that comes back in.

sadi
February 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
Opps.... okay nai mamur cheye kana mamu

akabir77
February 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
why is SN named as an opener in the warmup games? don't we have two openers already? i thought he was going to play in the middle order. then why is playing up there and wasting an opportunity to get used to in the middle?

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 12:44 PM
why is SN named as an opener in the warmup games? don't we have two openers already? i thought he was going to play in the middle order. then why is playing up there and wasting an opportunity to get used to in the middle?

Maybe because Tamim won't be fit enough to play in the warm up. In that case, SN will have to open, and if Tamim is not able to come back before the first test, SN will have some match practice to go into the test as an opener. I think that is the reason.

Dhakablues
February 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Its an "ordinary" selection. Anyone standing in a line at Farmgate bus station couldve come up with this selection. I dont get how Talha, Dollar, is in the reserve. The chances of them playing is close to none. I am a bit dissapointed how either Dhiman or Mashud didnt make the final 17 despite all the failures of Mushfique where not a single premier league club wanted him ( he is playing for BKSP at the end)

mshakir56
February 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
I think the selectors want to have a last good look at SN !

Rabz
February 6, 2008, 12:50 PM
No big surprise.

Good to see Rafiq in the list.
He deserves a proper farewell.

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 12:51 PM
The seventeen mentioned in the squad will form both the one day and test team. I see no problem with this squad. Finally, we have no JO in any team ( squad, reserve, warm up) and TI is another notable omission. I never thought of him as a solution to the no.3 of future for tests. Nazimuddin does have a better chance now since he is the only genuine batsman in the reserve who should also feature in the warm up. It may come down between Nazimuddin and Bashar soon.

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 12:52 PM
I think the selectors want to have a last good look at SN !
Last look? He is very much in the thick of things..

Fazal
February 6, 2008, 12:55 PM
No big surprise in the team
So there will be no big surprise in the team result.
More or less same team like NZ tour
I expect more or less same result like the last one.

mshakir56
February 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
Last look? He is very much in the thick of things..

Jamie Siddons first choice openers are Tamim and Junaid. So Shahriar Nafees may only play as a middle order batsman if picked. He is certainly not the SN we are used to !

reyme
February 6, 2008, 01:04 PM
SN has a much better chance at home condition, and he should play in the middle as Beamer suggested.

Dhakablues
February 6, 2008, 01:04 PM
No big surprise in the team
So there will be no big surprise in the team result.
More or less same team like NZ tour
I expect more or less same result like the last one.

Ditto. As Allama Einstein said once, " Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Jamie Siddons first choice openers are Tamim and Junaid. So Shahriar Nafees may only play as a middle order batsman if picked. He is certainly not the SN we are used to !

Middle order it is. He played at no.5 in NZ. Considering the competition, I don't see anyone challenging him at least for this series. I doubt Siddons will prefer Rajin over him. His other competition would have been Mehrab, but he hasn't been picked. I think Nazimuddin is there as an alternative to Bashar, not SN, and by the looks and sounds of it, Aftab will feature in no.6 for Siddons.

reyme
February 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
It is disappointing to see Khaled Mashud in the reserve. Honestly I think as a long seving ex captain and after a wonderful performance in the last NCL, he deserved to be in the final squad. This is really sad, he did not deserve this.

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
Its an "ordinary" selection. Anyone standing in a line at Farmgate bus station couldve come up with this selection. I dont get how Talha, Dollar, is in the reserve. The chances of them playing is close to none. I am a bit dissapointed how either Dhiman or Mashud didnt make the final 17 despite all the failures of Mushfique where not a single premier league club wanted him ( he is playing for BKSP at the end)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you make too many changes, we will moan, if you don't make too many, we will bitch. Lose-lose proposition ! No problems with the reserve bowlers either. They get to practice with the senior team, stay close to the national set-up as a reward for good performance in domestics, and pick up a thing or two from the national coaching staff. What is the big problem with that? I like the reserve squad. They are there for the future. No hopers like TI, Golla etc are no where to be found. Rightly so.

Xavier
February 6, 2008, 02:04 PM
So the Test team should be stg like this:

1.Tamin
2.Shariar/Junaid
3.Bashar
4*Ashraful
5.Aftab/Rajin
6.Saqibul
7+Mushfiqur
8.Mashrafee
9.Rafique
10.Shahadat
11.Enamul

Possible?

sadi
February 6, 2008, 02:07 PM
I would be surprised if Tamim makes it for the series. We shouldn't rush him. He won't open the plaster till mid February and it may take a few weeks for him to get his touch back. I will have him in the setup but select another opener in case he is not ready to go. I guess Shahariar Nafees is the backup option if Tamim doesn't make it. If Tamim is fit and good to go, SN goes back to number 5.

Murad
February 6, 2008, 02:17 PM
hmm same team..

Pilot should have in been in the 17 members as well.

GOod to see Rafique Dada back in the team.

Javed, who returned home after the one-day series without playing any match in New Zealand, made a half-century in the last practice match yesterday in favour of Team C (200-8) against Team B (177 all out) but it was not good enough for a change of heart from the selectors.

“This decision has been taken because we are now looking forward. Tamim (Iqbal) and Zunaed (Siddiqe) both showed their considerable potential in New Zealand and plus Shahriar Nafees is an important player for us as well,” said chief selector Rafiqul, explaining the decision to axe Javed.

“There was no reason to make wholesale changes. We announced a 17-member squad because of some injury problems in the team but all 23 players (seventeen in the squad and six in the reserve bench) will be considered for both the Tests and one-day series," he added.

The national selectors will announce a 13-member team for the Test series once they get a final report about the fitness of left-handed opener Tamim Iqbal, who injured his left thumb during the tour of New Zealand.
Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=22291)

Only 13 members for both Tests?? Or it should be for the first Test? I dont like this part...from the selection.

kalpurush
February 6, 2008, 02:28 PM
[quote=Fazal;617867]No big surprise in the team
quote]
Yes, there is!...JO!!

kalpurush
February 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you make too many changes, we will moan, if you don't make too many, we will bitch. Lose-lose proposition ! No problems with the reserve bowlers either. They get to practice with the senior team, stay close to the national set-up as a reward for good performance in domestics, and pick up a thing or two from the national coaching staff. What is the big problem with that? I like the reserve squad. They are there for the future. No hopers like TI, Golla etc are no where to be found. Rightly so.
ditto.:-D

kalpurush
February 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
It is disappointing to see Khaled Mashud in the reserve. Honestly I think as a long seving ex captain and after a wonderful performance in the last NCL, he deserved to be in the final squad. This is really sad, he did not deserve this.
BCB might be targeting the WC 2011. Pilot would be useless in the time period...:saint:

Fazal
February 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, there is!...JO!!

.....well Jo was a bench warmer in NZ tour and now he will be sofa warmer at home.

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
.....well Jo was a bench warmer in NZ tour and now he will be sofa warmer at home.
or a bed wetter..depends on his climate control preference.

kalpurush
February 6, 2008, 02:47 PM

1.Tamin
2.Shariar/Junaid
3.Bashar
4*Ashraful
5.Aftab/Rajin
6.Saqibul
7+Mushfiqur
8.Mashrafee
9.Rafique
10.Shahadat
11.Enamul

Possible?
Good selection, with the following minor changes!:)
1. Junaid would come first
2.Considering the current form, I would replace Bashar with Sakib.

kalpurush
February 6, 2008, 02:55 PM
They (JO and others) could leave the field with honour, but unfortunately, they have wasted that opportunity! Players and BCB both are responsible I would say. Time and tide wait for none...:(

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hai rey bangali, check this out. Tushar and Nazmul not in the squad. So the media brings up a conspiracy theory.
Here it goes:

They have signed for Abahani. The Club officials have full power over the board. For them Club comes first before the national team. Hense, Tushar and Nazmul was excluded. lol.
http://www.shamokal.com/details.php?nid=87997

al Furqaan
February 6, 2008, 03:14 PM
dammit, bashar still in the mix. i hope siddons keeps him out.

other than that its a good selection. if mehrab jr was there in place of bashar, it would have been perfect.

al Furqaan
February 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
absolutely love the 3-day FC squad (including bashar).

my lineup for that would be:

1 junaid
2 SN
3 haba
4 raqib
5 saqib
6 aftab
7 rahim
8 farhad
9 sajid
10 rasel
11 enam

if bashar fails to score 35+, give him his retirement funds.

RazabQ
February 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
If Mehrab were to replace Bashar, we might have emulated Windies with our surfeit of southpaws up and down the order.

amra_korbo_joy
February 6, 2008, 03:26 PM
I always wanted Roqibul Hassan in the test team.

Dhakablues
February 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
Where I personally have the problem with the selection is: Aftab/Mushfique/Sajid. Aftab is still not getting it,, Mushfique never got it and Sajid is redundant as we have 3 in form pacers along with Farhad the medium pacer already.

Either way, none was asking that the selection of players to be overhauled again with new blood. What some of us asked was that we use the pool of salaried national players based on their form and performance. Clearly some of the players in the 17 are off-form and to expecting that they can turnaround things is non-sense. As much as I want them to score huge runs and prove me wrong,, Bashar/Aftab/Mushfique does not give any indication that they will much runs in the tests other than their median of 20 somethings

al Furqaan
February 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
mushy never got it? how many of our boys have hit murali and co. around for 80 runs?

Fazal
February 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
I kind of feel sorry for Mushfiq. They will ruin his career forever. He may be the future star of BD cricket, but he was choosen at the wrong time of his career, i.e when he was off-form. And he continued to struggle. Looks like they will drag his career to the dirt and then done with him prematurely. What a sad story....

AsifTheManRahman
February 6, 2008, 04:56 PM

1.Tamin
2.Shariar/Junaid
3.Bashar
4*Ashraful
5.Aftab/Rajin
6.Saqibul
7+Mushfiqur
8.Mashrafee
9.Rafique
10.Shahadat
11.Enamul

Possible?

Something like that. I would probably play Mushfiq up the order though (#3 maybe?). Rajin plays instead of Aftab, Junaid instead of Nafees. That leaves the #7 spot open, and seeing that it is not ideal for Bashar, I'll be tempted to play an all rounder there. Perhaps someone who can spin the ball a bit? #7 remains the undecided spot for me.

AsifTheManRahman
February 6, 2008, 05:01 PM
I actually wonder if this might be a good time to include Mosharraf in the test squad as Rafique's talked so highly of him. After all, it's always better to debut players in home series.

akabir77
February 6, 2008, 05:29 PM
I actually wonder if this might be a good time to include Mosharraf in the test squad as Rafique's talked so highly of him. After all, it's always better to debut players in home series.

There r academy teams, a teams for that. let him do something in there. no need to rush and end some ones career.

BanCricFan
February 6, 2008, 05:31 PM
Khaled Mashud not picked in the main squad is a travesty. Pure and simple. I'm begining to have second thoughts about Siddons.

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2008, 05:53 PM
Khaled Mashud not picked in the main squad is a travesty. Pure and simple. I'm begining to have second thoughts about Siddons.
I felt bad too but can't remove my support from Siddons. Its like 19 are 20. may be with the better players we can extend a session or two but in the long run that would hurt us more. Fazal's posts made so much sense.
Coach has every right to provide his feedback who he wants and who he doen's want in the team. Its a rebuilding team, whether we admit it or not. So it makes perfect sense if the coach doen't want to waste his time in older players. At the end of his contract, he will be judged based on the team's performance. Its not Fan's head... its not players head (they will continue to survive)....its not selector's head... its not BCB executives' head... its the coach's head on the line ...... so let him run the show for two years..... and let him select his team. I have no problem with that.

al Furqaan
February 6, 2008, 05:59 PM
There r academy teams, a teams for that. let him do something in there. no need to rush and end some ones career.

have to disagree. it is true that we shouldn't debut players too early. but at the same time, debuting a highly touted player for a one-off match like rahim isn't going to kill a good cricketers career.

if every 16 year old who scored ducks on debut were crap cricketers SRT wouldn't be SRT (sachin scored 2 ducks to start his ODI career (or was it tests?)).

if a youngster has some hype put em in. its not like he is gonna be an ashraful and "ready or not you're playing".

and for the record, i am not supporting debuting this rubel guy anytime soon.

Dhakablues
February 6, 2008, 06:02 PM
If we always thought about future and not think present, that perceived future will always be in the future, wouldnt it?Australian team would not be as it is today if ACB thought Hayden, Pointing, Gilchrist, were too old and they need to groom new players by excluding those players. Nor would the Indian team be this powerful. Senior players provide the experience and helps the team grow with their insights. Just remove the 31+ year old from the world's test counries and tell us who are the star players left?

Leaving out Mashud is really painful. Especially when you see that his quarter-replacement is not even performing the standard . None is complaining that JO is out because Junaed is performing well enough. Mushfique is being dragged and being killed, I agree, he is one of the players who is off form but the selectors are stubborn not to give him the deserved break. The point is not whom we like or dislike,, its more about whats best for the Bangladesh team. Coach has his duty to do to do as a coach and mentor the team, so does the board in selecting the best XI who will brighten the Bangladesh flag... For the future, we do have our age based groups who, by the way, are in much better shape and streak than our national team. No need to think about the next world cup if we are losing by innings and hundreds of runs before 2011,, thats still 3 years away..

BanCricFan
February 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
I felt bad too but can't remove my support from Siddons. Its like 19 are 20. may be with the better players we can extend a session or two but in the long run that would hurt us more. Fazal's posts made so much sense.

By persisiting with the GB he will ruin his nascent career and will turn him into a GD, especially, after his appaling performance with the bat in Down Under. Mashud is just in his 30s...if he keeps fit, he could play another four to five years quite easily. Ignoring him once despite his excellent form in the NCL was brave but doing it twice is not very smart.

This doen't do anybody any good. For GB sake, hope he does well!

reyme
February 6, 2008, 06:23 PM

Oh my goodness :floor:

reyme
February 6, 2008, 06:32 PM
BCB might be targeting the WC 2011. Pilot would be useless in the time period...:saint:

True, but a totally out of form Golden Boy's career might not last that long.

reyme
February 6, 2008, 06:41 PM
If we always thought about future and not think present, that perceived future will always be in the future, wouldnt it?Australian team would not be as it is today if ACB thought Hayden, Pointing, Gilchrist, were too old and they need to groom new players by excluding those players. Nor would the Indian team be this powerful. Senior players provide the experience and helps the team grow with their insights. No need to think about the next world cup if we are losing by innings and hundreds of runs before 2011,, thats still 3 years away..

You nailed it. We had been thinking for the future since 2001 and still looking for the future. Where does it end? Nowhere and thats why after playing tests for 7 years we are still a developing team. We got rid of Akram, Naimur, Nannu way too soon and the people who came to fill in their shoes just came and went. All for the sake of future. Yet we continue to make same mistakes.

Murad
February 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
True, but a totally out of form Golden Boy's career might not last that long.

THis is also very true.

This is what most of us saying.

Selectors forgot what happend to SN. When he was out of form, the keep playing him for long long time and he forgot his basics. He was under too much pressure to score in each and every games as he was out of form.

And now same thing will happen to Mushfique. He'll have a good career later on but right at the moment, he is totally out of form.

SOme people saying he plays at 7, thats why he's failing but I don't think so. A good player can make runs at any possition if he's in form. Otherwise he can't score any position.

reyme
February 6, 2008, 06:48 PM
Selectors should give due respect to KM for his great performance, his persistence, his contribution to BD cricket and reward him by allowing him playing his last test at home. Most importanty he is in better form than Mushfiq. He deserve this chance no less than Rafiq. I dont care what JS wants or thinks. Its about the respect that is due to KM, for everything he did and asked to do.

Gowza
February 6, 2008, 07:43 PM
merit in the BD cricket structure is almost non-existent. most players in the national team or squad are there based on talent and hope. the players who've stuck they're head down and worked hard to produce results have been overlooked imo. this isn't just with older players, there are also some younger players who have earned the right to be given a chance for higher honours through performance. it looks like the selectors are doing what siddons wants though because siddons didn't want a changed team and the selectors gave him what he wanted for the most part so now it's up to siddons to prove they did the right thing by listening to him.

but tbh there are imo quite a few players who have been left out that shouldn't have been.

al Furqaan
February 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
Can we stop harping on Mushfiqur Rahim's failures with the bat? Exactly what is the number 7 guy supposed to do when he comes in with the team at 78-5? Score an unbeaten 23 runs of 80 balls? And then you same bunch will say "oh look at rahim he played ultra defensive to boost his average, the selfish git..."

You can't expect an 18 year old number 7 to get good scores when the likes of ashraful and aftab can't even play like respectable C teamers.

KM, for all those who want him back, at this point is going to be a stop gap solution. We have thrown Rahim into the lions den early, and now we should stick with him. KM is, at best, going to get you that 23* from 80. End result Bangladesh will be 165 all out instead of 122 all out.

Woopty effing doo; Shabash Bangladesh.

Dhakablues
February 6, 2008, 09:13 PM
I would take 165 all out and a 28 runs of 200 balls if that is the 5th day instead of hari-kiri 0 runs in 1 ball and its the 1st day of the match. If someone is mistakenly at the lions den,, we rescue him, save him,, dont just stand there and watch the feast and blood. Or atleast a sensible person wouldnt be just watching that horror show. There is a difference between being smart and stable and a fool and fate-resigned.

FagunerAgun
February 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
Pilot should have got another chance in XI.

al Furqaan
February 6, 2008, 10:09 PM
I would take 165 all out and a 28 runs of 200 balls if that is the 5th day instead of hari-kiri 0 runs in 1 ball and its the 1st day of the match. If someone is mistakenly at the lions den,, we rescue him, save him,, dont just stand there and watch the feast and blood. Or atleast a sensible person wouldnt be just watching that horror show. There is a difference between being smart and stable and a fool and fate-resigned.

scoring 165 in the first innings isn't going to get you any closer to the 5th day than scoring 122.

unless that 23* comes of of 1500+ deliveries

the point is that rahim is far more technically gifted than pilot. technique is a far better predictor of any index of success. he's more likely to play spinners well (in this case a moot point since SA have none), he's more likely to move his feet well, more liekely to play with the line of the ball, more likely to play in the V, more likely to play along the ground, more likely to have a larger aresenal of shots. he'd be less likely to be trapped plumb in front or leave a large gap between his bat and pad. even with perfect technique one will still be vulnerable especially to great deliveries.

but would you really put your money on Pilot to score a century over Rahim? there is only a 10 % chance of Rahim getting a ton against the saffers, but Pilot has a 0.1 % chance. I'd take the 10 %, call me crazy if you want.

might i also remind everyone that, whilst i hate the shommanjanok porajoy (or whatever its called), Bangladesh needs to make every positive mark they can especially in Test cricket. this includes even cosmetic changes. lets suppose Bangladesh plays just as crappily as they did in NZ, but the way they play makes the haters think we improved even though we didn't. i would accept that because we are losing our test status everyday little by little.

First India refuses to play. Big deal what else is new? But now Australia is joining the fray. England will be next, followed by Pakistan, New Zealand, etc. We are already having trouble getting sponsorship for this series. Nimbus is basically screwing us because they believe that no one is interested enough to watch their broadcasts of our cricket. They're probably right.

So if you don't opponents, sponsors, or the money that TV rights bring...who won't have Test status.

We need to forget the short term "if we play pilot today, we can avoid the blushes tonight" mentality. This is the reason we're in the trouble we're in currently. We didn't think long term. Rahim is the long term keeper. Stick it out let him learn and lick his wounds. Who knows maybe he can land a couple of jabs himself. Baby tigers might not have the strenght, wisdom, or experience. But they still got claws.

BD Tigers
February 6, 2008, 10:15 PM
Can we stop harping on Mushfiqur Rahim's failures with the bat? Exactly what is the number 7 guy supposed to do when he comes in with the team at 78-5?

Can u spell Gilli? He plays for Australia at No. 7 position in tests. Checkout his scores.

I'll take 23 out of 80/100 balls any day over your 10 balls 23 in tests.

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 11:17 PM
Selectors should give due respect to KM for his great performance, his persistence, his contribution to BD cricket and reward him by allowing him playing his last test at home. Most importanty he is in better form than Mushfiq. He deserve this chance no less than Rafiq. I dont care what JS wants or thinks. Its about the respect that is due to KM, for everything he did and asked to do.

Yes. Lets give everybody chance to retire at home. We play a thousands tests a year. No big deal. Lets line up JO, Bashar, Rafiq, Pilot and for what its worth, lets recall Shanto, Chacha, Bulbul ( anybody that has ever been disrespected and denied a 'proper' farewell )and let em play until they decide to call quits on their terms. RESPECT is the most important thing. Its so important that Aretha Franklin song should be played round the clock in the stadia when our golden generation plays and plays...

Dhakablues
February 6, 2008, 11:22 PM
Sarcastic as you maybe,, I think Nannu/Akram/Durjoy/Bulbul are far classier batsman than our generation of Test players. Some of those players scored 400 runs in one innings,, if you remember. We havent seen that with our new generation of players, have we? Those players knew how to score singles, really valued their opportunity to play for the country than. our Aftabs/Sakibs/Sajids.. Playing for Bangladesh comes so cheap these days.,, unfortunately.

Beamer
February 6, 2008, 11:36 PM
Nobody is disputing their class and contribution. Must we always live in the past? Fact of the matter remains that none of the old players still playing are capable of playing with the standard that they have set for themselves. Time has passed them by, no matter how nostalgic you are about Pilot's heroics in ICC or Bashar's century at St.Lucia. I wish they recognized it, just as many has, and hang it up to make way for a new generation. But, I am afraid, they are selfish and won't go unless forced to, so they can milk the media and cry. I remember what they have done. Innings by innings. I will also remember how delusional they are now.

mshakir56
February 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
Sarcastic as you maybe,, I think Nannu/Akram/Durjoy/Bulbul are far classier batsman than our generation of Test players. Some of those players scored 400 runs in one innings,, if you remember. We havent seen that with our new generation of players, have we? Those players knew how to score singles, really valued their opportunity to play for the country than. our Aftabs/Sakibs/Sajids.. Playing for Bangladesh comes so cheap these days.,, unfortunately.

Our generation of cricketers seem to take their position for granted ! They just don't value their wicket !

Game On
February 7, 2008, 12:14 AM
It's great to see as Bashar is in ;

kalpurush
February 7, 2008, 12:35 AM
Our generation of cricketers seem to take their position for granted ! They just don't value their wicket !
And, they gave you the ultimate joy of cricket and life by reaching in the 2nd round of WC (including 20/twenty)! ;)

Antora
February 7, 2008, 12:44 AM
nice to see Rasel and good old Rafique.=]

al Furqaan
February 7, 2008, 12:48 AM

wrong, we have seen it more often actually. the oldies got us one 400 (T1D1 against India on Bangladesh's debut). the current generation played key roles in 2.

416 against WI (ash scored 81, rajin had a 50)
427 against AUS (SN 138, rajin 60+)

i will agree with you that the akrams, athars, bulbuls were classier. but they were also far more limited than the ashrafuls, aftabs, and mushys. its much easier to play within your limitations when you have more limitations. once these teenagers and early-twenty-somethings learn to harness their immense power, you be amazed.

Game On
February 7, 2008, 01:01 AM
Just make the spinning wicket ; This SA have a big trouble to play the quality spin as always ;

cricket_fanatic
February 7, 2008, 03:11 AM
I was expecting a storm over the wicketkeeper issue. Although I dont really want to see pilot back, the fact is Mushfiq has been terrible with the bat other than his world cup 50+ vs India and the 80 vs SL. And it's not a question of how well Pilot would have played if selected, but what if Mushfiq's barren run would continue through this series as well, to further dent his confidence . Anyway, now that the team is selected, lets hope for the best that Mushfiq repays the confidence shown in him.

I was a bit surprised with the 3 day match squad though! Did we deliberately include just one spinner to deprive SA against spin practice? Coz the SA batsmen would love a feast on the predominantly medium paced attack. I belive trying Rubel would have been a beter option.

mshakir56
February 7, 2008, 03:42 AM
And, they gave you the ultimate joy of cricket and life by reaching in the 2nd round of WC (including 20/twenty)! ;)

With all due respect to our national team,
they also humiliated us by lossing to New Zealand within 6 overs, in the last ODI ! I mean come on, even Nepal is expected to last 6 overs at international level ! Don't forget we were thrashed by Ireland in the world cup as well. Loosing by an Innings + 200 odd runs has become our norm in Test Cricket. People around the world are calling for our Test Status to be suspended! We go through so much ups and downs, that its hard to tell how much we have improved ! One day we seem like a giant killer, the other day we can't even beat an associate side ! I know reality is always hard to accept, but we fans can only hope that our players learn from their mistakes thats all !

Sohel
February 7, 2008, 04:31 AM
It's great to see Rafiq back in the squad. It won't surpise me at all if he has a great test series and goes out with a bang. It would've been good to see Pilot behind the stumps in the test matches also. I won't second guess Coach SIddons on his selections here and wish this team the very best. That said, I'm expecting nothing from HaBa and Rajin so ANYTHING from these eyesores will be a bonus.

Here's the really disconcerting thing: our pitiful batting under familiar conditions facing familiar bowlers. Unless the wicket is completely dead, Steyn, N'tini and Nel will run riot through most our batsmen's defenses. I do expect a great series from Tamim, Zunaed, Ash and GoBo, and more steady improvement from Forhad.

abu2abu
February 7, 2008, 05:44 AM
At the risk of stating the obvious, apin will be key here. The Saffers are poor players of spin (traditionally) and enamul and rafique are going to be very important. however, it doesn't matter how good the bowling is if the batsmen can't get runs on the board. the onus must be on them too.

tiger_army
February 7, 2008, 06:47 AM
Hai rey bangali, check this out. Tushar and Nazmul not in the squad. So the media brings up a conspiracy theory.
Here it goes:

They have signed for Abahani. The Club officials have full power over the board. For them Club comes first before the national team. Hense, Tushar and Nazmul was excluded. lol.
http://www.shamokal.com/details.php?nid=87997

Asojjo jontronadayok eisob Journalist....jotthe sob porasuna kore /journalit hoise ajob

tiger_army
February 7, 2008, 07:01 AM
Can u spell Gilli? He plays for Australia at No. 7 position in tests. Checkout his scores.

I'll take 23 out of 80/100 balls any day over your 10 balls 23 in tests.

But mate gilli's striking rate in Test is 81.95
You know He is very very aggressive in both form of game...
Havent you seen, when he used to come for bat there was alrady 350+ runs on board... no pressure at all..

out of his 192 innings he only had to bat 137 times...but these poor mushy in bd has to bat all the time in an awkard position whn the score is 80/7....

Roni_uk
February 7, 2008, 08:13 AM
I wonder when HaBa will be off BD team. He keeps getting selected regardless of his performance.. either the selectors do not watch bd matches or HaBa pays them some monthly amount via direct debit!...

we should have selected from players from U19 sqaud (& prob should ask SA to do the same :P.. lol).

Sohel
February 7, 2008, 08:21 AM
I wonder when HaBa will be off BD team.

NEVER bro, the man's positively talismanic, iconic and AWL DAT! The onus is on us! We must learn to see what his buddies and he see ... >:)

zainab
February 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question. But what will Siddons be doing when all the National players are playing for these various clubs, e.g, Mash playing for Bhiman.

Does he take another holiday? Should'nt he be having training sessions with them all the time, or is it that he has a training camp for a week before a tour? I am intrigued to know this, I lived in SL near the SSC ground in Colombo and those boys even when there were no international fixtures used to train in the nets and fields each morning with their trainers and coach.The only time they are not there is when they are touring.
I wish someone can be able to answer me as I am now not too impressed with Siddons.

al-Sagar
February 7, 2008, 08:42 AM
Can we stop harping on Mushfiqur Rahim's failures with the bat? Exactly what is the number 7 guy supposed to do when he comes in with the team at 78-5? Score an unbeaten 23 runs of 80 balls? And then you same bunch will say "oh look at rahim he played ultra defensive to boost his average, the selfish git..."

You can't expect an 18 year old number 7 to get good scores when the likes of ashraful and aftab can't even play like respectable C teamers.

KM, for all those who want him back, at this point is going to be a stop gap solution. We have thrown Rahim into the lions den early, and now we should stick with him. KM is, at best, going to get you that 23* from 80. End result Bangladesh will be 165 all out instead of 122 all out.

well said.

Murad
February 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
scoring 165 in the first innings isn't going to get you any closer to the 5th day than scoring 122.

unless that 23* comes of of 1500+ deliveries

the point is that rahim is far more technically gifted than pilot. technique is a far better predictor of any index of success. he's more likely to play spinners well (in this case a moot point since SA have none), he's more likely to move his feet well, more liekely to play with the line of the ball, more likely to play in the V, more likely to play along the ground, more likely to have a larger aresenal of shots. he'd be less likely to be trapped plumb in front or leave a large gap between his bat and pad. even with perfect technique one will still be vulnerable especially to great deliveries.

but would you really put your money on Pilot to score a century over Rahim? there is only a 10 % chance of Rahim getting a ton against the saffers, but Pilot has a 0.1 % chance. I'd take the 10 %, call me crazy if you want.

might i also remind everyone that, whilst i hate the shommanjanok porajoy (or whatever its called), Bangladesh needs to make every positive mark they can especially in Test cricket. this includes even cosmetic changes. lets suppose Bangladesh plays just as crappily as they did in NZ, but the way they play makes the haters think we improved even though we didn't. i would accept that because we are losing our test status everyday little by little.

First India refuses to play. Big deal what else is new? But now Australia is joining the fray. England will be next, followed by Pakistan, New Zealand, etc. We are already having trouble getting sponsorship for this series. Nimbus is basically screwing us because they believe that no one is interested enough to watch their broadcasts of our cricket. They're probably right.

So if you don't opponents, sponsors, or the money that TV rights bring...who won't have Test status.

We need to forget the short term "if we play pilot today, we can avoid the blushes tonight" mentality. This is the reason we're in the trouble we're in currently. We didn't think long term. Rahim is the long term keeper. Stick it out let him learn and lick his wounds. Who knows maybe he can land a couple of jabs himself. Baby tigers might not have the strenght, wisdom, or experience. But they still got claws.

Furqan bhai, if you were talking about the IN-FORM Rahim, I would have no objections to your comments.

The Rahim we have at the moment is worse than new Pilot. He's totally out of form and struggling to make even a single run. Did you check his last 10 innings (including ODI & Tests)? How many 10+ score he made? And how many zeros?

Don't just be a Blind Lover of Rahim's sexy smile.:-p..(NOI) Ask your heart and see if Rahim is the right guy we need at the moment. If he was in form, then I wouldn't ask you to so. I would have want him in the team as well but just as a Test batsman.

To me, Rahim is just an average Wicket-Keeper Batsman. But if he becomes a specialist batsman, then he will do better than he's doing now. And he will become a better batsman then many of our current bunch.

I'm no Pilot fan. And I also don't want him in the team. But at the moment, I guess he's the right person for Tets matches. As he made a lot of runs in NCL, I would like to give him one last chance in one of the Test match to see if he can do the same in Internation cricket again.

As someone already mentions, we should groom a 2nd wicket keeper for the National team. Dhiman will be a better option as he as a good ODI batsman as well.

Another thing for Rahim, He's getting too many matches to get back his form. I think even SN didnt get that much when he was out of form. He needs a good long break. And should play for Academy team for quite some time so that he can improve his techniques and fix his problems.

I'm not a Rahim hater or something. I just don't see that he's the right person for our National team. And Its not his fault that he's in the team. Its Faruq's fault. He's drafted Rahim into the national team too early. He should have wait another year or so.

And now since he will play all the matches, I hope he scores some 50's and proves everyone wrong(including me) and then I promise I will become his fan and will not say anything about him anymore.

Anyways.. sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling. I'm no Pilot fan nor Rahim fan. I want to become a fan of the 3rd man. :)

Murad
February 7, 2008, 02:04 PM
Rahim's stats from Last 12 Months:

<TABLE class=engineTable><CAPTION>Test Career averages</CAPTION><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings batted" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="not outs" noWrap>NO</TH><TH title="runs scored" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH class=padAst title="highest innings score" noWrap>HS</TH><TH title="batting average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="balls faced" noWrap>BF</TH><TH title="batting strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="hundreds scored" noWrap>100</TH><TH title="scores between 50 and 99" noWrap>50</TH><TH title="ducks scored" noWrap>0</TH><TH title="boundary fours" noWrap>4s</TH><TH title="boundary sixes" noWrap>6s</TH><TH></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left>unfiltered</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>146</TD><TD class=padAst>80</TD><TD>13.27</TD><TD>420</TD><TD>34.76</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>1</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">Profile (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/player/56029.html)</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left>filtered</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>122</TD><TD class=padAst>80</TD><TD>17.42</TD><TD>335</TD><TD>36.41</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=engineTable><CAPTION>ODI Career averages</CAPTION><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings batted" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="not outs" noWrap>NO</TH><TH title="runs scored" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH class=padAst title="highest innings score" noWrap>HS</TH><TH title="batting average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="balls faced" noWrap>BF</TH><TH title="batting strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="hundreds scored" noWrap>100</TH><TH title="scores between 50 and 99" noWrap>50</TH><TH title="ducks scored" noWrap>0</TH><TH title="boundary fours" noWrap>4s</TH><TH title="boundary sixes" noWrap>6s</TH><TH></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left>unfiltered</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>350</TD><TD class=padAst>57</TD><TD>21.87</TD><TD>661</TD><TD>52.95</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>3</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">Profile (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/player/56029.html)</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left>filtered</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>298</TD><TD class=padAst>57</TD><TD>22.92</TD><TD>555</TD><TD>53.69</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=engineTable><CAPTION>T20I Career averages</CAPTION><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings batted" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="not outs" noWrap>NO</TH><TH title="runs scored" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH class=padAst title="highest innings score" noWrap>HS</TH><TH title="batting average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="balls faced" noWrap>BF</TH><TH title="batting strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="hundreds scored" noWrap>100</TH><TH title="scores between 50 and 99" noWrap>50</TH><TH title="ducks scored" noWrap>0</TH><TH title="boundary fours" noWrap>4s</TH><TH title="boundary sixes" noWrap>6s</TH><TH></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left>unfiltered</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>6*</TD><TD>5.66</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>68.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">Profile (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/player/56029.html)</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left>filtered</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>6*</TD><TD>7.50</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>75.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Murad
February 7, 2008, 02:16 PM
Look at his ODI match list. and check the recent score.. :D

<TABLE class=engineTable><CAPTION>Match by match list</CAPTION><THEAD><TR class=headlinks><TH class=padAst noWrap>Bat1 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=batting_score1;template =results;type=batting;view=match)</TH><TH noWrap>Runs (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=runs;template=results;t ype=batting;view=match)</TH><TH noWrap>BF (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=balls_faced;template=re sults;type=batting;view=match)</TH><TH noWrap>SR (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=batting_strike_rate;tem plate=results;type=batting;view=match)</TH><TH noWrap>4s (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=fours;template=results; type=batting;view=match)</TH><TH noWrap>6s (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=sixes;template=results; type=batting;view=match)</TH><TH noWrap></TH><TH class=left title="opposition team name" noWrap>Opposition</TH><TH class=left title="ground played on" noWrap>Ground</TH><TH noWrap>Start Datehttp://stats.cricinfo.com/navigation/engine-nav/up.gif (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/56029.html?class=2;orderby=start;orderbyad=reverse ;template=results;type=batting;view=match)</TH><TH></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>DNB</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD class=padDp2 noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Harare (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59545.html)</TD><TD noWrap>6 Aug 2006</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2398 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/249207.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>DNB</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD class=padDp2 noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Dhaka (SBNS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/236761.html)</TD><TD noWrap>8 Dec 2006</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2461 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/264070.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD>18*</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>94.73</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Dhaka (SBNS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/236761.html)</TD><TD noWrap>9 Dec 2006</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2462 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/264071.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>DNB</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD class=padDp2 noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Scotland (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/30.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Chittagong (CDS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/56658.html)</TD><TD noWrap>15 Dec 2006</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2465 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/264075.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>6</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>37.50</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Scotland (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/30.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Dhaka (SBNS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/236761.html)</TD><TD noWrap>17 Dec 2006</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2467 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/264076.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>100.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Harare (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59545.html)</TD><TD noWrap>4 Feb 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2505 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/275754.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>27</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>38.57</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Harare (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59545.html)</TD><TD noWrap>6 Feb 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2511 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/275755.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>42</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>68</TD><TD>61.76</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Harare (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59545.html)</TD><TD noWrap>9 Feb 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2516 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/275756.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>57</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>95</TD><TD>60.00</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Zimbabwe (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/9.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Harare (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59545.html)</TD><TD noWrap>10 Feb 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2518 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/275757.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>DNB</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD class=padDp2 noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Bermuda (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/12.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>St John's (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59495.html)</TD><TD noWrap>25 Feb 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2528 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/274777.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>DNB</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD class=padDp2 noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Canada (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/17.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>St John's (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59495.html)</TD><TD noWrap>28 Feb 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2530 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/274779.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD>56*</TD><TD>56</TD><TD>107</TD><TD>52.33</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>2</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v India (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/6.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Port of Spain (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59475.html)</TD><TD noWrap>17 Mar 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2538 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247464.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>6</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>18.18</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/8.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Port of Spain (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59475.html)</TD><TD noWrap>21 Mar 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2546 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247472.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>DNB</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD class=padDp2 noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD noWrap>-</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Bermuda (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/12.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Port of Spain (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59475.html)</TD><TD noWrap>25 Mar 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2554 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247480.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD>2*</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>66.66</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Australia (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/2.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>North Sound (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/208543.html)</TD><TD noWrap>31 Mar 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2559 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247485.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v New Zealand (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/5.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>North Sound (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/208543.html)</TD><TD noWrap>2 Apr 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2561 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247487.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>6</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>46.15</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v South Africa (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/3.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Providence (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/208544.html)</TD><TD noWrap>7 Apr 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2564 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247490.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>7</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>63.63</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v England (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/1.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Bridgetown (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59429.html)</TD><TD noWrap>11 Apr 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2568 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247494.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>16</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>61.53</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Ireland (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/29.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Bridgetown (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59429.html)</TD><TD noWrap>15 Apr 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2572 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247498.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD>38*</TD><TD>38</TD><TD>75</TD><TD>50.66</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v West Indies (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/4.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Bridgetown (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59429.html)</TD><TD noWrap>19 Apr 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2576 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/247502.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD>1*</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>100.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v India (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/6.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Dhaka (SBNS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/236761.html)</TD><TD noWrap>10 May 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2582 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/282688.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>35</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>43</TD><TD>81.39</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>1</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v India (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/6.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Dhaka (SBNS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/236761.html)</TD><TD noWrap>12 May 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2583 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/282689.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>28</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>49</TD><TD>57.14</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/8.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Colombo (PSS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59303.html)</TD><TD noWrap>20 Jul 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2605 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/293481.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>0.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/8.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Colombo (RPS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59306.html)</TD><TD noWrap>23 Jul 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2606 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/293482.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/8.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Colombo (RPS) (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/59306.html)</TD><TD noWrap>25 Jul 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2607 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/293483.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v New Zealand (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/5.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Auckland (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/58792.html)</TD><TD noWrap>26 Dec 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2658 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/300426.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD>4*</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>33.33</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v New Zealand (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/5.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Napier (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/58857.html)</TD><TD noWrap>28 Dec 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2659 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/300427.html)</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=padAst>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0.00</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD></TD><TD class=left noWrap>v New Zealand (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/team/5.html)</TD><TD class=left noWrap>Queenstown (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/ground/58919.html)</TD><TD noWrap>31 Dec 2007</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">ODI # 2660 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/300428.html)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

One World
February 7, 2008, 03:24 PM
Both Rahim and Mashud will su** in ODI's. Because of height Mashud will have better advantage in Test against lanky RSA pacers.

BD Tigers
February 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
But mate gilli's striking rate in Test is 81.95
You know He is very very aggressive in both form of game...
Havent you seen, when he used to come for bat there was alrady 350+ runs on board... no pressure at all..

out of his 192 innings he only had to bat 137 times...but these poor mushy in bd has to bat all the time in an awkard position whn the score is 80/7....

bro, u probably didnt see him batting against us in Fatullah. We had their 6 wks for 100 some runs but then he scored a century. And he has done that several times in his career. I am not saying Mushi is same caliber as he is, but since Mushi is out of form, he must take rest and gain his confidence. In the mean time, let Pilot play cause he deserves another chance.

kalpurush
February 7, 2008, 10:53 PM
I wish someone can be able to answer me as I am now not too impressed with Siddons.
Is it not too early to answer your question?:-D

wiseshah
February 7, 2008, 11:28 PM
calm down guys. It doesnt matter who plays, result BD will lose all the matches, badly. it will be complete white wash. doesnt matter if we have masud or mushfiq. compare to mushfiq's form, masud is 100 times better ATM.
dhiman will be the best choice but he is not near consideration.

in test (Shahriar nafees+aftab+ bashar+mushfiq+ mashrafe)= 10 run
tamim +junaed ==may be 50
ashraful (if he think its Eid, then some runs)==40
rafiq+shahadat+enamul+extra= 30

all together= 130 runs
game will be over in 3 and 1/2 days

then comments will be
Ashraful: we are still a new team and we r learning
siddons: i found some positive things and they are good opponents and dont forget they are number 2 team in the world
SAF captain: bangladesh will improve one day
fan: will be upset, depressed and will collect antidepressant medication and then sign up to BD cricket and bash some players (top 3 choice will be bashar, mushfiq and ashraful)

al-Sagar
February 7, 2008, 11:51 PM

all together= 130 runs

:lol:

mshakir56
February 7, 2008, 11:58 PM
calm down guys. It doesnt matter who plays, result BD will lose all the matches, badly. it will be complete white wash. doesnt matter if we have masud or mushfiq. compare to mushfiq's form, masud is 100 times better ATM.
dhiman will be the best choice but he is not near consideration.

all together= 130 runs

then comments will be
Ashraful: we are still a new team and we r learning
siddons: i found some positive things and they are good opponents and dont forget they are number 2 team in the world
SAF captain: bangladesh will improve one day
fan: will be upset, depressed and will collect antidepressant medication and then sign up to BD cricket and bash some players (top 3 choice will be bashar, mushfiq and ashraful)

LOL ! You seem to be able to see the future ! :floor:

zainab
February 8, 2008, 07:35 AM
Is it not too early to answer your question?:-D

I was just curious to know what Siddons does during the time that the National players are busy playing elsewhere. I am not familiar with the way the National coach operates during this period. Also, what does Shaun Williams do? as he is the assistant coach of the National team also.

If the National players are paid a salary by the BCB, they should not be looking for extra money, but should work with the coach all the time to improve their overall cricketing weaknesses, and this team need to do this, or else they will always have humiliating defeats, eventually they might have to abandon Test cricket, because countries will not want to play against them if they cannot take a game into the fourth day. Siddons should in real earnest be thinking about this dire situation. cause if BD gives up or loses Test status, it will be difficult to regain it. look what is happening to Zimbabwe.

BANFAN
February 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think it's a balanced team. Nazim Uddin probably needs more grooming up. He played well in practice matches, but failed consecutively in important matches. Some more time in the reserve bench will help him to be more prepared for the big stage.

Nafi
February 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's a balanced team. Nazim Uddin probably needs more grooming up. He played well in practice matches, but failed consecutively in important matches. Some more time in the reserve bench will help him to be more prepared for the big stage.

How the hell can you make a silly assumption over a few low scores of 20/20 cricket.

A high score can mean somthing, like his innings against shoaib and asif - world class bowlers

A low score means nothing....., no time to settle, you hit from the word go.

BANFAN
February 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
How the hell can you make a silly assumption over a few low scores of 20/20 cricket.

A high score can mean somthing, like his innings against shoaib and asif - world class bowlers

A low score means nothing....., no time to settle, you hit from the word go.

Partially right, if a low score in 20/20 does mean nothing, a high score also means the same for longer versions. You said the reason.

I don't want his tallent to be wasted, like many others have been lost before, given a too early chance on the basis of tallent only. A tallent needs to be fine tuned and prepared before launching in the big stage to safeguard his confidence and self belief.

I don't blame anyone for the previous actions, as we didn't have players at that time, with basic techniques needed for that level. But now situation is quiet different, so we should not throw the unprepared young talents into a situation he is not capable to handle, as we had to do before. Unleass he is Lara/tendul

One World
February 9, 2008, 06:19 PM
After reading ASH's expectation from this series I have to admit that he was matured enough not to speak aloud and keep his heads down. We may find a new ASH soon. If players don't show patience we fans can do it in the virtual gallary.

Gowza
February 9, 2008, 06:38 PM
i think nazimuddin would be a great asset to the test team. the middle order is struggling and he's one of the players who could stabilize it, my first pick would have been ehsanul but since he's not been given a look in i hope nazimuddin gets a chance. he's played over 50 FC matches, he's one of the few BD talents who has maintained a reasonable average over this amount of matches. i think he'd be a good replacement for habibul bashar.

BanCricFan
February 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
i think nazimuddin would be a great asset to the test team. the middle order is struggling and he's one of the players who could stabilize it, my first pick would have been ehsanul but since he's not been given a look in i hope nazimuddin gets a chance. he's played over 50 FC matches, he's one of the few BD talents who has maintained a reasonable average over this amount of matches. i think he'd be a good replacement for habibul bashar.

I think Raqibul Hasan or Nayeem Islam might even be a better replacement for Bashar. Having said that, I dont think Bashar would voluntarily retire any soon, especially, if he does remotely well against the Saffers. I reckon Nazimuddin is more suited to ODI than Test because of his Aftab-like rush of blood...he is, what our Deshi comms will describe, a Markutey batsman. Perhaps, in a year or two he might be ready for Test. I totally agree with you about Ehsanul Haque...I dont have the foggiest why he is being ignored by the selectors...surely, He is not that old!

Gowza
February 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
i think raqibul and naeem still need to play a few more matches before they're ready for test cricket, wouldn't mind seeing them in the one-day side atm. although nazimuddin might look like he's better suited to the shorter formats his record says otherwise. when i said he'd be a good replacement for bashar i meant at the current time, raqibul and others aren't ready just yet and with ehsanul not being considered nazimuddin is the best possible current replacement being considered. one of the other positives about nazimuddin is that we know he can play well against top class bowling because he's done it before, sure it was only one match but at least we know he can do it.

Miraz
February 15, 2008, 09:27 AM
Team for warm-up match against South Africa

Following is the Team for the three-day (February 17-19) warm-up match against touring South Africa at Narayangonj Osmani Stadium (Fatullah):

Team

1. Zunaed Siddique

2. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed

3. Nazim Uddin

4. Rajin Salah Alam

5. Shakib Al Hasan

6. Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury

7. Mushfiqur Rahim

8. Enamul Haque Jr.

9. Sajedul Islam

10. Talha Jubaer

11. Farhad Reza

12. Syed Rasel

13. Roqibul Hassan

14. Kazi Habibul Bashar

Tamim Iqbal is drafted into the BCB XI that will face South Africa in the tour match.
Shakib Al Hasan will lead the side.

sharifk
February 15, 2008, 09:46 AM
Tamim Iqbal is drafted into the BCB XI that will face South Africa in the tour match.
Shakib Al Hasan will lead the side.

Good decision. Match practice will help.

mshakir56
February 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
If Tamim Iqbal is playing the tour match that means Shahriar Nafees isn't playing?

Mahir
February 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
If Tamim Iqbal is playing the tour match that means Shahriar Nafees isn't playing?

He should be in there as a middle-order bat, since its a 3-day game and not limited-overs. Also, it's likely to be played with one of those 13/14 players per side, with only 11 batting/fielding. So you'll see everyone in the announced squad get a chance with either bat/ball except for Bashar, who's supposedly injured.